Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Welcome Home, Baby-to-Be-Named-Later

Steph and Jimmy come home with their baby -- but they still haven't named her. With a doula in the house, DJ and Danny don't feel like they're needed.

I hope it's OK that I kickstarted a thread.

I think the baby's name is very sweet and appropriate. 

But I also continue to think it's crazy that so much has happened in her sisters' lives and Michelle can't be bothered to show up. They should have recast her by now with some '90s star in the same age range. 

Other than that, I thought the episode was a sweet, perfectly OK way to kick off the last season.

Edited by jmonique
  • Love 8

For a premiere, it wasn't too bad. I didn't miss the laugh track at all. I wasn't fond of the meta attic scene just because it went on a bit too long, and the stunt doubles for Kimmy and Fernando in the backyard were very noticeable. Show, next time you hire a stunt double for Juan Pablo, maybe make sure the stunt double has the same style of hair. 

However, the Stephanie/DJ stuff was well done. I really liked their scene talking about mom instincts. I also loved the Stephanie/Danny scene.

I liked the Jimmy/Danny stuff. 

And the baby naming scene was incredibly sweet.

• Love 4

Did they film season 5 differently? The lighting seems super dim and there's a huge drop off in color from the theme song ending to the show starting.

Ahhh...it's my tv: 

Edited by Aileen
  • Useful 1

I liked the first part of the meta-scene in the attic, but they stretched what should have been a one line joke with some visual Easter eggs into a grating, ongoing bit.

I'm fine with Michelle's absence. I think she should be mentioned from time to time, but it rings true to me that a sibling living her life on the other side of the country just wouldn't get home very often. Stephanie and DJ have had some major life events, but none that Michelle's presence would have enhanced in any real way. (Okay, it helps that I think Michelle was a spoiled brat who always got away with murder growing up, so why would she volunteer to get in the trenches and help her sisters now? It was never her role in the family.)

• Love 6
On 12/8/2019 at 8:18 AM, Panopticon said:

I liked the first part of the meta-scene in the attic, but they stretched what should have been a one line joke with some visual Easter eggs into a grating, ongoing bit.

I'm fine with Michelle's absence. I think she should be mentioned from time to time, but it rings true to me that a sibling living her life on the other side of the country just wouldn't get home very often. Stephanie and DJ have had some major life events, but none that Michelle's presence would have enhanced in any real way. (Okay, it helps that I think Michelle was a spoiled brat who always got away with murder growing up, so why would she volunteer to get in the trenches and help her sisters now? It was never her role in the family.)

I agree completely. I’d compare her to Danny’s sister who was on an episode in the original series. A gainfully employed younger sibling who shows up to be the fun aunt but not to actually help in a meaningful way. 

• Love 4

My favorite part of the attic scene, was the "Things got kind of weird, Aunt Michelle got amnesia!" because that really was so freaking weird. 

The baby naming was sweet, as were the DJ and Steph scenes. Also Steph and Jimmy must have just binged Game of Thrones before Kimmy had the baby!

The laws of physics dont apply to Kimmy. 

• Love 3
On 1/28/2020 at 11:12 AM, Daisy said:

It was a v. sweet episode - but the one thing that kept bugging me is...

they let you take the baby home without naming them?

In California you can file a supplemental name report to add a name to the certificate of live birth.  It is free if you do it in the first year and costs ~$25 thereafter.  It is only for adding first, middle, and/or last names that are not on the birth certificate, not for changing names.  That implies to me that you do not have to name the baby right away.  The hospital probably pressures you to though because they just want to do the paperwork and get it over with and I'm sure it is easier to just do things the normal way.  Also, if you do it the supplemental name report way your name is not on your birth certificate, it is on an attached second page and that's not cute in a baby book.