Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: 7 Swans A Singin’

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

Kristen, David and Ben are called to investigate an insidiously addictive Christmas song that's spreading among an increasing number of students, and the dangerous relationship between online influencers and their impressionable young followers.

Airing Thursday, December 12, 2019.

The sisters weren't talking over eachother today.  Maybe the writers got the memo finally.

What was with Lealand having someone locked in a duffel bag on his couch?  Obviously he was the one that helped with the suicidal video.  Probably did something to make sure that the kids heard it also.

Grandma just gets worse and worse.  Is Demon boyfriend turning her evil?

• Love 11

Ohhhhhhh, damn, that ending. What a note to leave things on for the next month or so. I wonder if Leland had a role in that, too. Wouldn't surprise me. Or maybe the guy's connected to Renee somehow? Maybe he's the one who was spying on them and whatnot? 

Speaking of Leland, man, he is a nasty piece of work. I had a feeling he'd manipulated Sheryl's "advice" to that problem with the school bully. And then this. That whole case was nuts (and if I get that song in my head tonight, show, so help me...). That thing with teenagers being able to hear certain sounds that others can't is...disturbing. Good on Ben for picking up on that. 

(I wonder if that girl was the person who was stuck in that thing and writhing on the couch. Or was that someone else?)

On a significantly happier note, everything with the presents, and the team's interactions regarding all of them and whatnot, was super adorable and sweet :D. I especially loved Kristen's gift to Ben. Hee <3. I also LOL'd at Ben being all "teacher's pet" to Kristen :p.

Okay! Lot to mull over until January, then!

• Love 10

So now Grandma is being mentored to be evil? Okay....the sex must be awesome to transfer all that dark thoughts/evil into her.

How is possible for that Influencer is so stupid and evil at the same time? This show is implying all of Leland's padawans were easily converted because they're stupid and easily manipulated/tricked into evil.

It was kind of creepy how those Catholic schoolgirls seemed like they were in a trance when they talked to them.

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

That thing with teenagers being able to hear certain sounds that others can't is...disturbing.

Younger people can hear higher frequencies than adults can, but it's odd that the daughters heard a man's voice (low frequency) that the adults couldn't.

Leland's eyeglasses are prescription, not plain glass, presumably Michael Emerson's prescription.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Driad said:

Younger people can hear higher frequencies than adults can, but it's odd that the daughters heard a man's voice (low frequency) that the adults couldn't.

Fascinating. Between that and Kristen's tidbits about those dancing and laughing outbreaks, this show is teaching me an awful lot of cool (and unusual :p) things. 

Interesting point about the man's voice. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 9

Well that’s a mean cliffhanger. David saw the three stars he was researching earlier in the season, so it obviously means something. The stars represented different cities if I remember correctly. And who’s leaving the messages and sending the pictures? I was surprised when he said he slept with Renee. Maybe it’s Julia’s ghost who’s sending these things as a warning for them to stop?

When Sheryl told Lexie to hit her bully with a brick, she was wearing red, and then later claimed to not remember saying it, so I thought maybe she’s only under Leland’s influence when wearing that. But then she was all “snitches get stitches” to Lexie, so maybe it’s a full-time thing. 

The thing about younger people being able to hear higher frequencies than older people is true, and I knew that’s where they were going when the video had no effect on Kristen and David. I guess the voice being lower rather than higher frequency is simply Leland’s doing. The story of the dancing plague is also true and extremely fascinating! 

I loved Kristen’s presents to David and Ben and their gift to her. I hope she was able to get the cat hair off David’s jacket. 😛 Speaking of, I wonder if the cat’s still hanging around. 

• Love 11

This is one WEIRD show!

Btw, the person in the duffel bag on Leland's couch reminded me of the movie "Audition".  If there are any horror film aficionados on this board (which I assume there are!), then check it out. GREAT MOVIE!

• Love 8
1 minute ago, HerkyJerky said:

Btw, the person in the duffel bag on Leland's couch reminded me of the movie "Audition".  If there are any horror film aficionados on this board (which I assume there are!), then check it out. GREAT MOVIE!

I heard about that movie in some "scariest movie moments" countdown once. It sounded really intriguing and creepy. It's on my list of stuff to check out at some point. 

• Love 1

It would drive me insane just having to listen to that song for 95 minutes! 🤪

I was hoping that Lexie was recording Granny during their subsequent conversation. No such luck.

39 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

This is one WEIRD show!

You mean that sick Japanese film?

• Love 4

Not only was Grandma wearing a red dress when she encouraged the punching, the influencer filmed against a red background both times.

I hate when shows have characters act nonsensically just to drive the plot. Even if Kristen is an atheist and doesn't believe in any kind of faith or superstition, she saw those girl jab things in their ears after being exposed to the song. I have a really hard time believing she'd then listen to that video, out loud with no earbuds, in the same house as her daughters when she has a perfectly good office right next door.

• Love 17

I assumed that Sheryl was "possessed" (by Leland?) during her conversations with Lexie and truly did not remember it when Kristen questioned her about it.  As irresponsible and flaky as Sheryl seems to be,  I've never had the impression that she would intentionally try to lead the girls astray or place them in any danger.  

• Love 6
10 hours ago, redfish said:

How is possible for that Influencer is so stupid and evil at the same time

That's the definition of about 50% of "influencers". 

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

sang the lord is come

I think that may be the older version of the lyrics, I remember learning it that way ( a LONG time ago). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, spinxella said:

A deleted scene from this epsiode.

I doubt that scene was from this episode since people are actively Trick-or-treating so this is probably from the Halloween episode, Evil season 1, episode 5 “October 31”. Strange things: Leland breaks the bottle, jagged edges, but when Grandma drinks from the bottle, the edge is "smooth as a baby's bottom". Heath and Safety. Liquor Guy (not to be confused with Lick-Her Guy AKA Leland) hat was blurred out what was on their so bad that they could show what they filmed for TV on TV. My guess was product placement that they could use because they didn't air it on the TV. The old subway car going into the tunnel as a metaphor for someone having sex. If a subway car happens every time someone has sex, no wonder the realtor sold Kristen the house for $12 dollars.

10 hours ago, meatball77 said:

The sisters weren't talking over eachother today.  Maybe the writers got the memo finally.

What was with Lealand having someone locked in a duffel bag on his couch?  Obviously he was the one that helped with the suicidal video.  Probably did something to make sure that the kids heard it also.

What!!!!!! The girls weren't screaming this episode? I stabbed myself in one ear with a pencil and the the other ear with a pair of scissors before the episode started to prepare myself for their scenes. Thank God for closed captions. 

I was thinking that Leland might have had the guy that stabbed Michael in the duffle bag. The guy was too afraid to attack Michael the first time, but with the proper motivation, he came out swinging this time. 

1 minute ago, teddysmom said:

sang the lord is come

I think that may be the older version of the lyrics, I remember learning it that way ( a LONG time ago). 

Yeah, I imagine they had to sing it that way when Jesus was alive, you know out of respect and all.

Spoiler

One thing I can't stand about the show is I can't trust anything I see on the screen. Next episode  Michael is in the hospital (probably on a morphine drip) hallucinating his ass off.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Another creepy episode! I love how crazy this show is that it didn’t seem all that strange for Leland to have a person in a duffle bag in his office. Subliminal voices scare me for some reason so I thought it was excellent use of a ‘influencer’.  I wonder what Leland’s goal is unless it’s general mayhem. 

Can’t wait for the show to return. And I think it’s ok to tell someone to stand up to a bully, but hitting another child in the face with a rock is not.

• Love 15
6 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

Can’t wait for the show to return. And I think it’s ok to tell someone to stand up to a bully, but hitting another child in the face with a rock is not.

I can kind of agree, but what if it escalated and the daughter was hurt worse?  It's obvious Grandma Sexy Times is under the spell of Satan Lite, seems to me with Dad home and the trouble she's caused, and that she spends more time on line and on her phone then watching the girls, I'd inform her that her services are no longer needed. 

If Grandma really wanted to scare the bully, why didn't SHE go over and confront her. Or have Leland put a spell on her?  I mean if you're gonna be evil, use it for good. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The "Joy to the World" song I don't think was sung correctly.

It sounded like they sang the lord is come and the lyrics when looked up on line is the lord has come.

I don't think David was confessing to a real priest.  I think he was confessing to the person that stabbed him.

I heard “the Lord has come” and noticed it because I always thought it was “is”. Or maybe I can hear things others can’t because of my advanced age. 

Well, if he was confessing to a real priest, it was pretty weird for him to say that he was in third year seminary and then go on to explain to a real priest that that means he’s training to be a priest. That really jumped out at me - hit a discordant note, one might say. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, ketchuplover said:

What happened to the "person" David saw near the start of the show? Seemed to just vanish but David didn't seem too freaked out about it.

Yes! I'm curious about that, too. That was...unnerving. Maybe it was the guy who stabbed him later on? But if so, he sure disappeared awfully fast...

• Love 1
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The "Joy to the World" song I don't think was sung correctly.

It sounded like they sang the lord is come and the lyrics when looked up on line is the lord has come.

Actually, the correct (i.e. original) lyrics are indeed "the Lord is come".  

It has been that way since the 1700s; this new lyric is quite recent.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13

How close to Christmas was it supposed to be?  Aren't they in NYC?

Do the show runners, etc realize that NYC in December does not look like LA in October?  Leaves are off the tree, nothing is that green.  

I'd like to resolve the Leland story line, he's getting to be a pain in the ass. 

At least the girls weren't screaming. Apparently that sound frequency thing is true.  Did not know that.  I know they can't hear their parents, that must be the frequency that can't hear. 

• Love 6

I don't like it when plots rely on characters NOT doing something obvious: ie, the creepy phone calls 'are coming from inside the house', so instead of leaving the house, the babysitter wanders fecklessly into the dark basement!

1) As soon as the influencer told them that the Suicide Whisperer background was put in by 'Mike, her producer', why on earth weren't David, et al, hot on Mike's trail, which would have led them back to Leland?

2) Also, why would Kristen apparently accept Grandma Hot Pants' claim that the kid was lying? I find it hard to believe that Grandma isn't under a cloud of suspicion by now. If Kristen had told her husband about what Grandma said, he would no doubt have revealed that she had been using Kristen's office for sexy times, and then her continued connection to Leland would come out.

On a different topic, why did David get a nice hoody and a scarf, but Ben only got a framed kid's picture?

• Love 12
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

That's the definition of about 50% of "influencers". 

42 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Actually, the correct (i.e. original) lyrics are indeed "the Lord is come".  

It has been that way since the 1700s; this new lyric is quite recent.

Absolutely correct.

• Love 3

The second I heard the girls singing their creepy Christmas song, I was like "this is so gonna get stuck in my head" and now low and behold...I need to stay away from sharp objects! 

I love that this show did a Christmas episode, and the case of the week was really interesting and fun, while also being quite creepy. Of course it was Leland behind it all, this had his hoof prints all over it. Looks like he isnt just looking for incels to do his dirty work, he is corrupting souls and sowing violence and misery all over the place!

I am guessing that Sheryl is under Lelands influence, especially after they had fire demon sex, and thats why she was giving creepy advice to Lexie, but I dont know if its a magical influence, or just how he influences everybody, by corrupting people by finding and nurturing their worst impulses. I mean, Sheryl was pretty into Leland even after his creepy ass introduction way back when she ditched her date for him, so maybe this is just him pushing her in a darker direction that was already there. 

The influencer using subliminal messaging was something I wondered about, but I also thought mass hysteria, like Kristen was talking about. The medieval dancing plagues were wild, I've heard of them before, its one of those "fact is stranger than fiction" stories about history. It actually happened all over Europe for several years, people really did die of dancing themselves to death, people came up with all kinds of cures and possible explanations, but to this day, people still dont know exactly how and why it happened. 

Awww Kristen got the guys Christmas presents, and then they got her something! That was really sweet, especially the framed picture of Ben the girls made! 

Nooo, David! I think the guy who disappeared who was looking at her was the guy who stabbed him, but who is he? One of Lelands projects? Demon? Someone else? Poor guy, even though I know he will probably be fine, but thats one hell of a way to go into winter break!

• Love 14

I just watched and that song is still in my head. Well done, show.

Their teacher at the beginning was played by Alison Cimmet, who makes me happy whenever I see her (she had a small, funny part in Younger recently), and who happens to be the sister of someone I know.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

David's room doesn't appear to have any heat in it.   He must freeze his ass off in the middle of winter. 

But the building his room is in, is PALATIAL. I was reminded of how beautiful (and usually empty) it is while reading the new report that the Catholic charity 'Peter's Pence' only gives 10% to actual poor people.😡

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, teddysmom said:

How close to Christmas was it supposed to be?  Aren't they in NYC?

Do the show runners, etc realize that NYC in December does not look like LA in October?  Leaves are off the tree, nothing is that green.  

It’s filmed in New York, so that was New York in     October.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, redfish said:

How is possible for that Influencer is so stupid and evil at the same time? This show is implying all of Leland's padawans were easily converted because they're stupid and easily manipulated/tricked into evil.

To be perfectly honest, most of the people I know that are really into their religion are also quite stupid, so I think it is being depicted correctly.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

I would rather have something personal like the framed Ben the magnificent drawing than a scarf so I think they both got nice gifts.

And not all religious people are stupid. Some of the greatest writers, composers, artist and thinkers were religious.

• Love 15

Katja Herbers and Mike Colter are pretty active on Twitter and they interact with everyone that talks to them about the show. I think they are super happy to know the show has fans 🙂

This was a weird episode. I know David is not going to die, so there's not much suspense there.

I don't think sexytimes Grandma is possessed, I think she's always had an evil streak that Leland just helped come to the surface, so to speak.

• Love 13
10 minutes ago, Norma Desmond said:

Katja Herbers and Mike Colter are pretty active on Twitter and they interact with everyone that talks to them about the show. I think they are super happy to know the show has fans 🙂

So's Mandvi, from what I've seen :). The cast in general seems like a really cool, friendly bunch. 

I know David is not going to die, so there's not much suspense there.

Yeah, with situations like this on TV shows, where it's obvious the character'll survive, the suspense often seems to be more focused on how they'll get out of this, and how they'll fight back. So it'll be interesting to see that, and how his teammates react to and deal with all of this, too. 

And we don't know anything (yet) about the guy who attacked him, nor why he attacked him, either, so there's that mystery to linger over as well. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 7
32 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

And not all religious people are stupid. Some of the greatest writers, composers, artist and thinkers were religious.

I wasn't talking about all religious people, just the ones whose lives revolve around the church and that randomly post the word 'prayers' on every sad facebook story (or even worse, the praying hands emoji).

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I dunno, he seemed pretty touched by it :). Sometimes it's the simple things. 

I completely agree. I was surprised by a handmade clay ornament from my 4- and 2-year old nieces last Christmas, and it was fantastic and unexpected. I keep it on display year-round. 

I love the little reminders we get of Ben the Magnificent even though we don’t see him interacting with the girls.

I completely missed the duffel bag: must re-watch to try and catch it! Did Leland sing Pudsy’s Christmas on the video? I sure thought it sounded like him the first time Kristen played it.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I dunno, he seemed pretty touched by it :). Sometimes it's the simple things. 

So true. Ben doesn't seem to have kids in his life otherwise, and those girls clearly adore him.

Ben the Magnificent- I think it's sweet.

• Love 15

I wonder why this episode was titled Seven Swans a-Singin? The actual line in the carol is Seven Swans a-Swimming. If I recall the beginning correctly, there were 5 girls infected with the Pudsey song, not 7. And why 'swans'? Why wasn't it called Five Maids a-Singing? 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, TVForever said:

So true. Ben doesn't seem to have kids in his life otherwise, and those girls clearly adore him.

Ben the Magnificent- I think it's sweet.

Same :). I love that he's forged a good bond with her kids. I like how the friendships among the team are developing in general. 

Plus, lord knows Kristen needs all the good influences for her children that she can get to counterbalance her mom. 

• Love 9

While I totally get why this show is on at 10 pm and agree that is an appropriate time for it, it sucks that I can't seem to stay up late enough to watch it live.  Starting about the halfway mark of Young Sheldon, the hubs begins his litany of "Can we watch Evil now?"  Sadly, we have to watch it the next day because we are apparently old.

Anyhow, I thought this was a fun episode.  A couple of quick questions/comments:

1 - What happened to the cat?

2 - Why doesn't Katja/Kristen where dark green more often?  It really is her color.

3 - Between this episode and last season of The Good Fight, it seems like the Kings are really into animation with kitschy music.

I don't know if trashy Grandma is possessed or not, but I think that's part of the appeal with this show.  We never really quite now.  Is Leland a very persuasive narcissist or is he Satan?  Who can tell?  I think, depending where you are in view of religion and such, this show is completely different from viewer to viewer.

Oh, one more thing, this was the first episode where the David/Kristen possible romantic dynamic wasn't pushed and I think the show was better for it.  And Kristen seems happy with her husband and he's a good counterpart for her.  Can the show just let that be?  Let David has his Angelica Schuyler obsession if he wants, but let him and Kristen just be friends and colleagues.

• Love 11
On 12/13/2019 at 10:57 AM, icemiser69 said:

Everything turned out fine after she did.  She shouldn't have been punished by her totally uninvolved and clueless parents.  Lexie didn't instigate the situation, the bully did.

Everything wasn't fine, really.  Lexie was in trouble with the school and her parents.  The 'bully' said she was sorry, and the other girls 'liked' her again, but do they really or are they afraid of her?  Lexie had some power, and that is what the "devil" promises you.  Take control, and you will feel better, and others won't take advantage of you. 

Like Leland did with the young man: women didn't see him, he was invisible to them, and he was sad about it and not sure what to do, until Leland started counseling him with stuff that he had been told was unacceptable behavior.  First, by not being courteous, then by doing little coarse jokes, and eventually, the planned massacre. And after each little first step, Leland would ask, 'now how do you feel?' and of course, the young man felt empowered. But obviously for the wrong reasons. 

And the young Instagram influencer.  She started out with an innocent desire, that was easily corrupted and when faced with the chance to try to stop it, she couldn't.  Apart from Leland menacing her, she also didn't want to lose her millions of followers. So she did what Leland suggested, and announced taking down the site, thus ensuring the spread of the song and background noise. 

So, I worry what evil Lexie may be led into. 

Grandma is really evil.  She's separating Lexie from her parents and her sisters. "Everyone lies, don't be a snitch, the other girl deserves to be hurt." That little girl has no one to turn to.  These are all ways of thinking that separate her from being part of the family, that make her think that she's more important than anyone else.  Leland (or Satan or Evil) is guiding it, but selfishness is the principal behind it. She's all alone and must do anything to protect herself. 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16
3 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I wonder why this episode was titled Seven Swans a-Singin? The actual line in the carol is Seven Swans a-Swimming. If I recall the beginning correctly, there were 5 girls infected with the Pudsey song, not 7. And why 'swans'? Why wasn't it called Five Maids a-Singing? 

I almost asked this last night. I guess I felt I was missing something so I'm so happy to see your post.  The first time we saw the singing girls there were 4, right? Utterly confused. It must mean something& I'd like to know!

I'm also still pinging on bad granny wearing red when she told Lexie to use a rock. Maybe Leland has some hypnotic power over her (& others) when the color red is involved.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

3 - Between this episode and last season of The Good Fight, it seems like the Kings are really into animation with kitschy music.

I actually had a bit of a cold and fever Thursday night (I'm getting over that now, thankfully), so watching that animated clip while in that state was...quite something :p. 

Also, this episode was a great example of why I don't have any interest in watching random people's videos that they upload on YouTube. I only ever use YouTube to watch stuff involving my favorite celebrities-music videos, interviews, the like. Or I'll find episodes of old TV shows that people upload and watch those, too. That's it. The way the girl talked in that video would've been more than enough to put me off. 

• Love 4
On 12/12/2019 at 11:38 PM, Annber03 said:

Fascinating. Between that and Kristen's tidbits about those dancing and laughing outbreaks, this show is teaching me an awful lot of cool (and unusual :p) things. 

Interesting point about the man's voice. 

I heard about that young-ears only sound thing a few months ago. Some park in Philadelphia was blasting a high pitched tone that only people under 18 could hear all night. The idea was to prevent kids from loitering there late at night. It seemed creepy then, but using it for suicide instructions is a thousand times worse.

I guess the man's voice thing was artistic license to make it all creepier.

On 12/13/2019 at 7:36 AM, Bulldog said:

I assumed that Sheryl was "possessed" (by Leland?) during her conversations with Lexie and truly did not remember it when Kristen questioned her about it.  As irresponsible and flaky as Sheryl seems to be,  I've never had the impression that she would intentionally try to lead the girls astray or place them in any danger.  

I thought she was possessed at first too, because she seemed to honestly have no memory of telling Lexie anything. But then there was that awful scene where she told her granddaughter not to snitch on her. What kind of person talks to a little kid like that?

• Love 7
4 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I think it might have something to do with the episode titles have a hidden messages. All the titles have numbers in them. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Did Leland sing Pudsy’s Christmas on the video? I sure thought it sounded like him the first time Kristen played it.

It sounded like Jonathan Coulton, who also did the songs in The Good Fight as well as the "previously" musical recaps on Braindead.

5 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I have to be honest here, I was kind of intrigued by the girls' rendition of Jingle Bells at the beginning of the episode.  I get so tired of hearing variations of the same tired melody all Christmas season long. 

The a capella choral arrangement they were singing was actually lovely. The unison Jingle Bells without the melody was also pretty. To be honest when Kristen's daughter recognised it and Kristen played the video at first I wasn't convinced it was the same melody. It's amazing that the earworm mutated into those beautiful harmonies.

7 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I was thinking about that as well and I decided the use of singing instead of swimming was intended as a reference to death -- the phrase "swan song" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swan_song) refers to a belief that swans only sing right before they die.

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
formatting
  • Useful 6
  • Love 3