Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: A Party Invitation, Football Grapes and an Earth Chicken

Bort
Message added by Bort

As always, please do not discuss events of The Big Bang Theory that have not “happened” yet. 

• Start Topic

Mary gets Pastor Jeff involved when Sheldon isn't invited to Billy's birthday party; George Sr. has male bonding time with Dr. Sturgis.

Airdate: Thursday, December 5, 2019

As always, please do not discuss events of The Big Bang Theory that have not “happened” yet. 

This was a sweet episode.  I felt so bad for John when Connie's polite brush offs finally sunk in.  And then the dagger to the heart when he heard the same thing from George!  But George's change of heart when he related his rejection of John to someone doing that to Sheldon gave me the warm fuzzies.  

I usually don't like the feud between Mary and the neighbor lady because the neighbor is usually out and out vile, but I could relate to both of them as mothers worried about their non-normative kids not fitting in.  It was touching without hitting me over the head with it - I think both women were still in character.  I can still see them giving each other the stink eye next episode over something or other.

• Love 19

I loved the episode, however, I'm already tired of the 'will they/won't they get back together' plot line with Connie & Dr. Sturgis.  I hope we don't have this the rest of the season.  

9 minutes ago, Rebky said:

I would never force my child to attend a party they were against attending. By doing so Mary made it all about her.

Sometimes you have to force Sheldon to branch out and experience new things, otherwise he becomes too isolated.   Mary doesn't want that for him.   I think she had good intentions, but it did backfire on her.  Sheldon was no worse for the wear though!  And Billy seemed to have a good time even though he didn't know what the hell they were playing!  Sweet Billy.  Don't give him Play-Doh because he'll eat it!  

• Love 12
30 minutes ago, Rebky said:

I would never force my child to attend a party they were against attending. By doing so Mary made it all about her.

I wouldn't have done that with my daughter but I definitely had to force my son to be sociable - hell, go out of the house at all - on more than one occasion.  If I'd let him have his way he'd have been on nintendo or his computer all his waking hours.  And I wasn't raising a child prodigy where I might have potentially had the payoff of being the mother of a famous scientist one day!  

• Love 6

I can def see both of your points.  But the fact that the mom didn't want Sheldon there (and he was glad to hear it), made me give Mary the side eye. Oh the days of old when birthday invitations were actually sent through the mail! I never knew my girls were invited to a party unless they let me know they wanted to go. Otherwise I was none the wiser!

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Frost said:

This was a sweet episode.  I felt so bad for John when Connie's polite brush offs finally sunk in.  And then the dagger to the heart when he heard the same thing from George!  But George's change of heart when he related his rejection of John to someone doing that to Sheldon gave me the warm fuzzies.  

I usually don't like the feud between Mary and the neighbor lady because the neighbor is usually out and out vile, but I could relate to both of them as mothers worried about their non-normative kids not fitting in.  It was touching without hitting me over the head with it - I think both women were still in character.  I can still see them giving each other the stink eye next episode over something or other.

I get it's TV and you need conflict, but John and Connie's plot didn't work for me. He broke up with her and made it clear she was free to date other people. When he first offered to take her out for coffee, she could have just said "I'm dating someone." Lying to spare his feelings wasn't needed. You can still get John's crisis and spending time with George. John would still be wondering if the break-up was a mistake, and still trying to figure out his feelings.

George realizing that John needed him was wonderful. They may not understand each other or have much in common, but George knows that decades from now, he would want someone to be there for Sheldon.

I liked that they showed how Mary and Mrs. Sparks are actually dealing with very similar problems and fears. They are trying to do what is best for thier "weird kid" without a guide. I like that you have a mother dealing with an off the charts genuis and another mother dealing with a child that's (to use the most polite word from the era for lack of a more precise term) "a little slow." 

I wouldn't mind more conflict with Mary and Mrs. Sparks, but I hope it isn't over the kids. Unless they are both mad because Sheldon and Billy went off on an adventure without telling them. If Billy wanted to play spaceman again, Sheldon would probably say yes if he didn't have plans or something else he wanted to do. 

I love Missy's comment about the Kool-Aide. It's like they are setting her up to be the wild girl who gets drunk at teen and college parties. 

• Love 14

I'm also on the side of forcing the kid to go to a party he doesn't want to go to. Sheldon doesn't know it, but he does need to be a kid. We had to force our kid out of the house and to talk to other kids many times. He needs to learn to interact with others. 

I also like Connie and John. She can't be around him right now, it still hurts. He told her to date, and she is, but there was something special about John and being just friends is sometimes just too painful when you are in love with someone. (And I'm talking about John and Connie both being in love- just friends isn't going to make either of them happy.) I love Coach.

Billy singing Old McDonald had me losing it. Then came My Mom is on Vulcan. My Mom is on Valium. 

I also liked George understanding that John needed a friend.

And Connie seeing the bike and rushing over. 

And Georgie was right- there is only one room with a TV. George and Mary could have had their conversation somewhere else. (Yes, it was a rude way to put it. But it's still true.) And then his comments about George and John feeding each other grapes. 

And one last thing, "It still tasted like cherry."

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Bali said:

I'm also on the side of forcing the kid to go to a party he doesn't want to go to. Sheldon doesn't know it, but he does need to be a kid. We had to force our kid out of the house and to talk to other kids many times. He needs to learn to interact with others. 

I also like Connie and John. She can't be around him right now, it still hurts. He told her to date, and she is, but there was something special about John and being just friends is sometimes just too painful when you are in love with someone. (And I'm talking about John and Connie both being in love- just friends isn't going to make either of them happy.) I love Coach.

Billy singing Old McDonald had me losing it. Then came My Mom is on Vulcan. My Mom is on Valium. 

I also liked George understanding that John needed a friend.

And Connie seeing the bike and rushing over. 

And Georgie was right- there is only one room with a TV. George and Mary could have had their conversation somewhere else. (Yes, it was a rude way to put it. But it's still true.) And then his comments about George and John feeding each other grapes. 

And one last thing, "It still tasted like cherry."

Remember Sixteen Candles, when the parents brought their son to the dance at the school and were holding the door shut so he couldn't leave, and he says, "I wanna go home, I wanna be with you guys!"  lol.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I liked it that Mary stayed at the party with Sheldon & Missy.  Of course Missy didn't need her, but it was good that Mary was there to oversee things with Sheldon.  Maybe Mary & Billy's Mom will now have a little more empathy for each other's situations.  I'm sure they'll still have a few verbal spats along the way (I enjoy seeing their harmless back-and-forth sparring), but at least for now they seem to have a better understanding of each other.  

• Love 5

For me, the highlights of the episode were:

1- Georgie jumping on the couch to watch TV while his parents were having a conversation.

2- Billy's thank you note.

Also, I love Dr. Sturgis but I think we're seeing him too much. I'd prefer more scenes of the Coopers instead of Dr. Sturgis. 😐

Another thing: while Sheldon (or Mr. Spock, lol) was analyzing the girl in the party, Mary warned him with his eyes. As a Turkish, I want to say that warning the children with gestures in front of other people is a notorious characteristic of the Turkish mothers, so that tiny moment made me feel connected to the show again. 😄 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Beetlepoet said:

Also, I love Dr. Sturgis but I think we're seeing him too much. I'd prefer more scenes of the Coopers instead of Dr. Sturgis. 😐

Oh no, can’t get enough of Dr. Sturgis!!  😂 I love him!! 

Notice no mention of where Mr. Sparks was during the birthday party.  Maybe Billy Gardell is completely written off the show now that he has another series, Bob  ❤️ Abishola.

• Love 7

I also don't think we can get enough Dr. Sturgis.  Looks like Connie still has some interest in him, I wonder how the coach is going to take that. Loved that George took the time out to be nice to him, what a swell guy George turned out to be.

Sheldon was not very likable in this episode, but I guess that's nothing new. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Beetlepoet said:

Also, I love Dr. Sturgis but I think we're seeing him too much. I'd prefer more scenes of the Coopers instead of Dr. Sturgis. 

I'll second that!  I really don't want this show to be all about Connie & Dr. Sturgis.  A little of that story goes a long way with me.  

• Love 4
7 hours ago, rmontro said:

I also don't think we can get enough Dr. Sturgis.  Looks like Connie still has some interest in him, I wonder how the coach is going to take that. Loved that George took the time out to be nice to him, what a swell guy George turned out to be.

4 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I'll second that!  I really don't want this show to be all about Connie & Dr. Sturgis.  A little of that story goes a long way with me.  

I think I'm on both sides of the Dr. Sturgis fence.  I think he's a great character for this show, but I also think that there may be too much Connie/Dr. Sturgis going on. Let Connie have fun with Coach and let Strugis be a mentor to Sheldon and an odd-couple friend to George.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I think I'm on both sides of the Dr. Sturgis fence.  I think he's a great character for this show, but I also think that there may be too much Connie/Dr. Sturgis going on. Let Connie have fun with Coach and let Strugis be a mentor to Sheldon and an odd-couple friend to George.

I agree with this.  Dr. Sturgis is a great character for the show but as a love interest for Connie he was kind of one-note and stifling and there wasn't much other than his quirkiness to play off of from a plot perspective.  And that gets played out pretty quickly and already did.  I think the addition of Craig Nelson, including making him a coach (of course) was brilliant.  Much more interesting stuff can happen with him!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Dr. Sturgis is a great character for the show but as a love interest for Connie he was kind of one-note and stifling and there wasn't much other than his quirkiness to play off of from a plot perspective. 

My problem is that he's a grown-up Sheldon, and to have Connie dating a man who is just like her grandson is just kind of icky to me.  At least that's how I view the relationship.  

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

My problem is that he's a grown-up Sheldon, and to have Connie dating a man who is just like her grandson is just kind of icky to me.  At least that's how I view the relationship.  

That too, plus it was always a stretch for me to believe that someone like Meemaw would find him in any way interesting beyond a platonic friend.  Talk about ick factor!  😝  No offense to Wallace Shawn, but Meemaw could do better in the looks department.  Plus his personality is just too different and quirky for it to ever realistically work.

• Love 3

I understand that Mary doesn't want Sheldon left out, but I didn't like her bullying Billy's mom to get her own way.  Billy's mom actually had a valid reason for not inviting Sheldon.  Billy doesn't really have it any easier than Sheldon does.  I liked their heart-to-heart in the kitchen.  They both just want what's best for their kids.

I like that George voluntarily changed his mind about hanging out with Dr. Sturgis.

As always, Missy was a delight.  "You're right. It's not fair. You should run away."  Then I guess she got high on Kool-Aid:)

• Love 8
On 12/6/2019 at 8:13 AM, Rebky said:

Yeah, but don't forget this was 1990, not today. I was the same age as Sheldon that year, and I recall having to go to the parties of kids I didn't particularly like (and who hadn't particularly wanted to invite me, most likely) either because the parents were friends, or Mom wanted me to be more sociable like Mary wanted, whatever. That was still a time period where parents generally decided what was best for you, and the kid didn't have a lot to say about it, especially if it was something like a party (versus a major life event). 

5 hours ago, Katy M said:

Billy's mom actually had a valid reason for not inviting Sheldon.  Billy doesn't really have it any easier than Sheldon does. 

Agreed. But IMO it would really not have changed Billy's social status whatsoever if Sheldon was or wasn't there. And honestly, if any kid questioned Sheldon's presence, Billy or his mom would have had a really simple excuse: "He's our neighbor."

11 hours ago, ChitChat said:

The way I have seen it was that because of her relationship with Sheldon, Connie has gotten a good understanding/compassion for that type of person. Thus she was willing to give Sturgis a try, getting to know him, whereas realistically without years of exposure to her grandson, she most likely would not have given him a chance.

On a side note, I liked how Billy's party featured all the crappy junk foods I recall seeing at every party in my own childhood, such as Kool-Aid, chocolate cake, etc. And wonder of wonders, there was not a single word about whether anyone was allergic to chocolate, or couldn't have gluten, etc...

• Love 10
11 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Yeah, but don't forget this was 1990, not today. I was the same age as Sheldon that year, and I recall having to go to the parties of kids I didn't particularly like (and who hadn't particularly wanted to invite me, most likely) either because the parents were friends, or Mom wanted me to be more sociable like Mary wanted, whatever. That was still a time period where parents generally decided what was best for you, and the kid didn't have a lot to say about it, especially if it was something like a party (versus a major life event). 

I would think with helicopter parenting, that would be more likely to happen today.  I'm slightly older than you, and I don't really remember getting invited to many parties because I was the Billy of my class.  Everybody thought I was weird.  But, from what I understand from multiple sources, today you are expected to invited everyone in your class to your birthday party, or nobody. And, since things should work both ways, unless there is already an event conflict in place, everybody should go to everyone's birthday parties.  So, I think that happens probably just as much today, if not more, as it did back then.

On 12/7/2019 at 9:59 AM, DoYouLikeMutton said:

Oh no, can’t get enough of Dr. Sturgis!!  😂 I love him!! 

Me too! I love John. I like Coach, but John wormed a weird little place in my heart, Just LOVE that dude. (And yes, just once let him say inconceivable at a thing that really IS inconceivable.)

I understand that some people see John as a grown up Sheldon. And that is a little true. But John takes much more delight in everything. Sheldon doesn't like much of anything, whereas John takes great pleasure in such minor things as turning Thanksgiving dinner into a sandwich. John is also not critical of everything like Sheldon it. 

I don't mind Connie and her beaus because it is frankly refreshing to see an older woman on television and the world not acting like "oh she's old, she must be a dried up hag." And Annie Potts is awesome.

I could do with less Sheldon and more Missy, Georgie and Connie. But this show is Young Sheldon, not The Coopers. It's an ensemble and so far, everyone gets a storyline. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

But, from what I understand from multiple sources, today you are expected to invited everyone in your class to your birthday party, or nobody.

I think your sources may be a bit confused.  You aren't expected to invite all the kids in the class (at my grandson's school that would mean inviting 29 kids!!!) what you are not allowed to do anymore (in the younger grades anyway) is to let your child pass out invitations in class to the select few or to get the teacher to put those invitations in the select fews backpack.  Parents have to make an effort to get in touch with the parents of the kids involved and do things a bit more personally. 

It was realistic to me that Mary expected that Sheldon would be invited to Billy's party.  They are neighbours not schoolmates and they are about as friendly with each other as Sheldon is capable of being.

Edited by PennyPlain
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, Bali said:

I understand that some people see John as a grown up Sheldon. And that is a little true. But John takes much more delight in everything. Sheldon doesn't like much of anything, whereas John takes great pleasure in such minor things as turning Thanksgiving dinner into a sandwich. John is also not critical of everything like Sheldon it. 

I agree with that John has some quirks like Sheldon and sometimes doesn't understand social cues, but he is never rude to anyone.  He is never condescending.  He wants to be everyone's friend, not just those deemed worthy enough.  He would have been delighted to go to Billy's birthday party and participate in every activity.

That being said, I didn't mind that Sheldon went in a Mr Spock uniform and pretended to be on a mission. he was actually acting like a kid for once.  Sure, everyone thought he was being a weirdo, but he wasn't actually being overtly rude.  And I hate birds, so I probably would have done just what he had had one pooped on me.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

I didn't mind that Sheldon went in a Mr Spock uniform and pretended to be on a mission. he was actually acting like a kid for once.  Sure, everyone thought he was being a weirdo, but he wasn't actually being overtly rude. 

In his own strange way, he was actually showing some positive social interaction skills. He was willing to let Billy talk about what he was interested in, even though it was not something that interested Sheldon. Not only was Sheldon letting Billy talk about it, but Sheldon was not zoning out and thinking about other subjects. He was fully engaged and present in the conversation.   

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

In his own strange way, he was actually showing some positive social interaction skills. He was willing to let Billy talk about what he was interested in, even though it was not something that interested Sheldon. Not only was Sheldon letting Billy talk about it, but Sheldon was not zoning out and thinking about other subjects. He was fully engaged and present in the conversation.   

Not only that but every time Billy asked him for a definition, Sheldon gave it, and politely.  He didn't call him stupid and roll his eyes.  

Just another thing from the epi, when Pastor Jeff asked what Jesus said the two greatest commandments were and Sheldon raised his hand to answer, it kind of cracked me up that Pastor Jeff said it was a rhetorical question.  In my church, we're expected to actually answer those questions.  We don't have to raise our hands.  We just yell it out if we feel like it.  Nobody is put on the spot.

• Love 6
On 12/8/2019 at 6:38 PM, SnarkySheep said:

The way I have seen it was that because of her relationship with Sheldon, Connie has gotten a good understanding/compassion for that type of person. Thus she was willing to give Sturgis a try, getting to know him, whereas realistically without years of exposure to her grandson, she most likely would not have given him a chance.

That's a good way to look at it, but it still weirds me out!  😉  

I was happy that Mary and Billy's Mom were able to connect based on the fact that both of their kids are not social butterflies, and that they both hurt for their kids for the same reason.  Neither of them wants to admit that their kid is considered odd by almost everyone else, but it was nice that they sort of acknowledged that with each other.  It was a nice moment.  

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Katy M said:

Just another thing from the epi, when Pastor Jeff asked what Jesus said the two greatest commandments were and Sheldon raised his hand to answer, it kind of cracked me up that Pastor Jeff said it was a rhetorical question.  In my church, we're expected to actually answer those questions.  We don't have to raise our hands.  We just yell it out if we feel like it.  Nobody is put on the spot.

See, I grew up Catholic - in church the pastor was the only one to speak. He could drone on and on, with pashioners falling asleep in the pews, because there was zero interaction. 

That's why I love the Coopers' church - it seems very interactive, everyone knows everyone, and Pastor Jeff seems to genuinely care about his flock, not like it's just a job.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I was happy that Mary and Billy's Mom were able to connect based on the fact that both of their kids are not social butterflies, and that they both hurt for their kids for the same reason.

This is completely true. What I find interesting is that the each boy's lack of social skills bothers the mother more than the kid. Sheldon and Billy do not care too much if the other kids think they are strange or wierd.

The more I think about it, the more I want Sheldon and Billy to go on an adventure on thier own (no idea what both of them would want to do) and for the mothers to freak out when they realize both children are missing. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

See, I grew up Catholic - in church the pastor was the only one to speak. He could drone on and on, with pashioners falling asleep in the pews, because there was zero interaction. 

I was in the Baptist church, and we didn't ask questions during the service either.  That's why I find that odd with this show.  I've never seen people do that in church.  We sang along when we were supposed to, then we sat down and listened to the sermon.  Of course this is Sheldon we're talking about!  He can't let anything go!  He's going to ask a question or point out a perceived inaccuracy, protocol be damned! 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I was in the Baptist church, and we didn't ask questions during the service either.  That's why I find that odd with this show.  I've never seen people do that in church.  We sang along when we were supposed to, then we sat down and listened to the sermon.  Of course this is Sheldon we're talking about!  He can't let anything go!  He's going to ask a question or point out a perceived inaccuracy, protocol be damned! 

I go to a Baptist Church and I think it's absolutely sad if anyone thinks they can't ask a question during church.  It should 100% be encouraged. Now, of course, if it's going to be time consuming the pastor should say "let's get together after the service to talk about that," but never should anyone be made to feel wrong for trying to understand the sermon or question anything.

• Love 2

I do like that we see Sheldon may be annoying, but he's not malicious. He was quite happy to hang out with Billy even if he didn't particularly want to. Though I do have a nitpick* - if Sheldon is playing Spock, he would not find human females surprising - his mother IS one! And it took a trip from making me really dislike Mary at the start (none of Sheldon, Missy, Billy or Billy's mother wanted to go, it was just Mary) to actually being sympathetic to her (and her neighbour too).

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:38 PM, Katy M said:

when Pastor Jeff asked what Jesus said the two greatest commandments were and Sheldon raised his hand to answer, it kind of cracked me up that Pastor Jeff said it was a rhetorical question.  In my church, we're expected to actually answer those questions.

That would chime with my experience. Though I'm a Catholic, I've attended a few Baptist services. While in my church we don't reply to anything (except set responses & hymns) at the Baptist church you could actually reply when the Pastor asked a question!

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:38 PM, Sarah 103 said:

The more I think about it, the more I want Sheldon and Billy to go on an adventure on their own 

That would be amazing (and hilarious)!

* I have my Sheldon moments too

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, John Potts said:

(none of Sheldon, Missy, Billy or Billy's mother wanted to go, it was just Mary) to actually being sympathetic to her (and her neighbour too).

I don't think Billy didn't want Sheldon there.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I don't think Billy didn't want Sheldon there.  

I agree. Billy seems to enjoy spending time with Sheldon even if he doesn’t understand what is going on most of time. 

1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I thought they were Methodist? But I don't know what the norms are, either way.

They’re Baptist. They’ve shown the front of the church a few times. I was raised Methodist and we didn’t speak during the service. 

13 minutes ago, John Potts said:

I don't think Billy cared either way. He didn't want Sheldon there, but he wasn't against him being there.

And besides Missy (assuming he's still her secret admirer), he probably felt that way about every other kid there.

• Love 2