Type keyword(s) to search

No Time To Die (2021)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

On 12/28/2021 at 10:42 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

Craig is gonna be a tough act to follow.

Ehh, they said that about Connery and it worked out fine for that next guy, right? You know the one, he starred in that movie with Dame Diana Rigg. It's on the tip of my tongue....

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Ehh, they said that about Connery and it worked out fine for that next guy, right? You know the one, he starred in that movie with Dame Diana Rigg. It's on the tip of my tongue....

Yes, but I don't see them dragging Craig back for one last hurrah. Aside from how definitive his ending was, he'll be pushing late-era Roger Moore age if they did, and neither he nor TPTB ever lived down how embarrassing that was. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Bond aficionados actually think "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" is the best Bond film, but at the time it was considered a flop and Lazenby pretty much disappeared. 

I wish they'd go back to the books, start over, and set the films in the late 1950s and 1960s.

• Love 1

It was good but I think it would have had more impact if the movies had been released closer together time-wise.  Recurring characters and actors can strengthen a franchise - but not when you cannot remember who they are or what they did previously. 

It seemed as if Rami Malek got to be the main villain because he has an Oscar.  His character was just the typical diabolical psychopath that Bond has do deal with.  I found it hard to believe could get the drop on Bond and manage to be the last man standing on the island.

I wondered why the producers decided to have the entire Spectre organization taken out by someone other than Bond. Bond seemed to be a bit like Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark -- the opposing forces might have eliminated one another without his involvement. 

Agent Paloma (Ana de Armas) left much more of an impression than the new 007 (Lashana Lynch).  The new 007's  largest contribution seemed to be verbal quips (and media bait). 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

The movie is being rereleased in IMAX starting January 21 to kick off celebrating the franchise's 60th anniversary.

And here's an EXCELLENT documentary about Craig's time as Bond.

He mentions reading all the cruel comments about him when he was first cast and it's obvious that it really hurt him.

Barbara Broccoli says she's wishes she'd kept him on for NINE or TEN films:

https://screenrant.com/daniel-craig-james-bond-movies-number-barbara-broccoli/amp/

I assume she's joking, because although it would have been nice to see Craig do as many or more than Connery or Moore did, I can't imagine how hard it would have been--physically and mentally--for him and everybody to churn out that many films.

Edited by Dr.OO7

The BAFTA nominations are out and the movie is up for picture, cinematography, editing, visual effects, sound, and rising star (Lashana Lynch).

Edited to add that the Oscar nominations are out and its up for song, sound, and visual effects, but shockingly not for score (which is excellent, especially the last piece, Final Ascent), cinematography, or editing. 

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I just realized that in letting us see M's, Moneypenny's, and now Q's apartments, the Daniel Craig era of Bond has literally taken us places we've never been before. It's amazing to realize that in 60 years and 25 films, we've learned next to nothing about the MI6 staff's personal lives. Even Bond's home has only been shown three times.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

The nanobot part didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The russian scientist worked in a bio weapon facility (they talked about weaponised small pox), the "factory" where they "made the nanobots" looked like a vat where you'd grow bacteria or viruses and it should be realtively easy for anybody to get rid of the bots. So the dilemma at the end wasn't really one. Just stick Bond into an MRI for a few minutes, done.

Then it dawned on me. This was supposed to be a virus originally and they changed it because of the pandemic, making it completely nonsensical.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 4/22/2022 at 8:37 PM, Zonk said:

The nanobot part didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The russian scientist worked in a bio weapon facility (they talked about weaponised small pox), the "factory" where they "made the nanobots" looked like a vat where you'd grow bacteria or viruses and it should be realtively easy for anybody to get rid of the bots. So the dilemma at the end wasn't really one. Just stick Bond into an MRI for a few minutes, done.

Then it dawned on me. This was supposed to be a virus originally and they changed it because of the pandemic, making it completely nonsensical.

The movie was written and filmed before the pandemic--the trailer came out in December 2019.

You're still right about the villain's plot being goobledygook.

• Love 1

I made the mistake of watching this when it premiered on cable last night. I honestly thought that by now I could handle the ending, but. . . nope.

It's an excellent film, but it's VERY hard to watch knowing what's going to happen, especially all the lovey-dovey scenes between Bond and Madeleine and Mathilde.

The use of "We Have All the Time in the World" bothered me more than Bond's apparent death (which I was already aware of). 

Though, given that James Bond is the modern equivalent of a mythic national hero, a "king in the mountain" (Wikipedia) ending where he puts himself into some sort of hibernation chamber (say in hopes that scientists could find a way to neutralize Heracles) would have been a more fitting literary nod, especially with the established use of "James Bond will return" in previous Bond films.  And, since that the island had a garden of infinite plot devices, one of those rare plants could have had medicinal properties to induce a hibernation-like state in humans, so this resolution could have been easily established earlier in the film with just a line or two of dialogue.

On 10/8/2021 at 8:43 PM, AimingforYoko said:

It's definitely set for a reboot now. Q and Moneypenny can come back, but M's obviously going to be sacked.

I wouldn't mind Naomie Harris' Moneypenny coming back as the new M.  Of the actors in recurring supporting roles, Harris was the biggest revelation for me.  This would also add interesting office dynamics with the new Moneypenny (who could either be handled as just a "no relation" or as a non-close relative).

On 7/10/2022 at 6:23 PM, Just Here said:

Though, given that James Bond is the modern equivalent of a mythic national hero, a "king in the mountain" (Wikipedia) ending where he puts himself into some sort of hibernation chamber (say in hopes that scientists could find a way to neutralize Heracles) would have been a more fitting literary nod, especially with the established use of "James Bond will return" in previous Bond films.  And, since that the island had a garden of infinite plot devices, one of those rare plants could have had medicinal properties to induce a hibernation-like state in humans, so this resolution could have been easily established earlier in the film with just a line or two of dialogue.

That's the most crushing thing about his death. As Madeleine said, "There must be a way. If only we had more time". Q and company probably COULD have eventually figured out a way to keep the Heracles in his system from harming Madeleine and Mathilde, if not extracted it from him altogether, but there wasn't even time for them to realize that, much less try it.

I'm guessing the next film will start with Bond awakening from a coma, having been knocked out in the explosion in the opening sequence and all of the previous movie having been a dream.

• Like 1

Saw this over the weekend on cable. Pretty good- but was sad about James. Daniel Craigs wife has told him no more Bond films-they are too hard on his body (which looked pretty damn buff to me lol). Too bad he connected to his daughter a little too late (that girl was awesome, I thought, hardly cried or screamed when all the shit was going down). I enjoy the films because of all the cool toys and the locations they shoot in are just breathtaking. Guess the will figure out if the franchise will continue with the new Bond or just go in a different direction.

1 hour ago, Maisiesmom said:

Daniel Craigs wife has told him no more Bond films-they are too hard on his body (which looked pretty damn buff to me lol). T

Craig himself said he was reluctant to come back because he didn't think he was physically capable of another film.

1 hour ago, Maisiesmom said:

Too bad he connected to his daughter a little too late (that girl was awesome, I thought, hardly cried or screamed when all the shit was going down

It's adorable that the only thing that upset her was losing her stuffed animal. 

On 7/12/2022 at 4:26 PM, Dr.OO7 said:

I'm guessing the next film will start with Bond awakening from a coma, having been knocked out in the explosion in the opening sequence and all of the previous movie having been a dream.

I don't even think it needs to be a dream. James Bond can survive anything. It's a James Bond movie. It doesn't have to make perfect logical real world sense. I refuse to believe they have actually killed off the character. They wouldn't do that. There is going to be another James Bond movie with a new actor. 

Overall, I didn't like this movie. It felt like a generic modern action movie, not a James Bond movie. It was as if there was a pre-existing script for an action movie and they just changed a few names or added the Bond characters in at the last minute before filming.  Unlike Skyfall, it didn't have many of the elments that make a great Bond film. Also, the action scenes went on far too long. 

Paloma is awesome and she needs to be back in the next movie. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1