Type keyword(s) to search

The Moodys - General Discussion

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

THE MOODYS follows a tight-knit, but slightly dysfunctional family of five, all of whom gather in their hometown of Chicago for the “perfect” holiday. From break-ups to arrests to sharing one bathroom, each family member is packing his/her own eccentricities and hiding secrets from the others – as if the holidays were all about carols and eggnog!

Primetimer's Joe Reid has this preview:
https://www.primetimer.com/features/the-moodys-everything-you-need-to-know-about-foxs-one-week-holiday-series

I'm 50/50 on it. I watched them both as well and my initial reaction was "hell, no". The original has such a soft spot in my heart and they made that fatal "pilot episode of The Office" mistake of basically doing the original point for point. And that's not going to work because the original is so frigging good and it just looks bad in comparison. I like Jay Baruchel a lot but he'll never do as good a job of Sean as Patrick Brammall did. And the uncle obsessed with directions isn't as funny in this one either. That said, there were actually some bits I liked on rewatch- mainly with the parents. I'll definitely watch the rest- it's only 6 episodes and I'm hoping they move fully away from the Australian version. Which you should absolutely watch if you haven't already.

16 hours ago, roughing it said:

I never knew there was an "original" either.

Same here. 

I am surprised that execs in the States believed that this series needed to be re-made/produced. And that Denis Leary got involved. The story is not very original so far. Jay Baruchel does not look like he is the eldest.

• Love 1
On 12/10/2019 at 7:24 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Jay Baruchel does not look like he is the eldest.

I thought he looked far too old for the way he's apparently living: deeply in debt, dependent on his dad's goodwill, delusional. That poor single mother needs to get far, far away from him. How could this dope have spent $9K on patent lawyer fees without having figured out that he needs a way to disperse the ashes without getting them all over the bystanders? I can just imagine how much it would cost to satisfy regulations in each state regarding littering, pollution, forest fire risks, etc. I actually don't think this 'fireworks cremation' thing is completely crazy, but this dude doesn't have the brains to make it happen.

I was also taken out of the story by the failure of anyone to report those ungrateful, thieving old hobos to the police. Bah humbug.

I never figured out why Marco had a faint foreign accent.

Dennis Leary and Eliz. Perkins were really, really good, imo. I liked the weird uncle and the wrestling coach, too.

That said, I was enjoying the nuances of this family's interactions. I just lost my mom 3 weeks ago, and the holidays are making me smile and tear up with memories that echoed some of the goings-on in this show. 

• Love 2

I enjoyed it, this quirky irreverent family stuff is in my wheelhouse. I liked the dynamics of a family of adults where there's still a parent-child thing happening because there are no actual children around.

Jay Baruchel looks like the youngest of the sibs, not the oldest. I think his fireworks cremation is a fab idea, but he seemed too flaky to pull off anything entrepreneurial. 

Felt so bad for the mom when the bathroom reno is finally done and then it leaks. 

Happy that the second son got a happy ending with his cousin's girlfriend (which sounds way more icky then it was), even if it was kind of Hallmarky. I couldn't understand what Cora saw in that cousin, he was such an empty vessel.

• Love 4

Double posting to say that more people might post about the show if it wasn't hidden in this cellar of topics. 

If Big Little Lies - a limited series - gets put in the drama category, why isn't the Moody's show in with the comedies?

• Love 2

I liked the show . Could the network possibly do these 4-5 episode holiday specials again if the ratings are good.   I was a little bummed this ended , i would have liked more episodes 

Marco was strange but i thought wow! Are they actually NOT going to have the girl run off with the cousin . Viewers like feel good endings.  Should have known 😂

On 12/11/2019 at 11:24 PM, Shermie said:

Double posting to say that more people might post about the show if it wasn't hidden in this cellar of topics. 

If Big Little Lies - a limited series - gets put in the drama category, why isn't the Moody's show in with the comedies?

Really! I started watching a couple weeks ago, and came here to see if there was a thread. I searched the site every way I could figure out, but nothing came up. 

Then, after the last episode, I wanted to go back and check something out in episode 1, but it was nowhere to be found. Both Hulu and fox.com just had episodes 2-6. What the heck?

We watched this Christmas Day with our adult son and we all loved it.  Laughed a lot.  I was not expecting the happy ending, but glad Cora did not stay with the status-obsessed cousin.  Although Denis Leary played a character he is familiar with, he is so good at it!  

• Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, GussieK said:

I am watching the new season, but I never saw the first. And it seems to be available nowhere!  

I did watch the first season, but I can't remember much at all about it.  A short recap would have helped.  And it didn't help that, around the time this came out, there was another limited episode series featuring adult kids coming back home.  In that one, the father was a widower.  One of the kids was dealing with a divorce, one was realizing they were gay (or maybe that was the same one?).  Anyway, a lot of things in the two shows were so similar that I don't remember what happened in which.  Anyone else remember it?  I can't dredge up the name or the stars from my memory.

ETA  Found it!  Merry Happy Whatever. Dennis  Quaid was the father.  There’s a forum here for it; not sure this link will work:   https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/4467-merry-happy-whatever/

Now I can move on to worrying about more important things. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • LOL 1

I didn’t see that one, @SoMuchTV.  Thanks for posting. Love your screen name. 

Anyway, I don’t know if I will stick with Moodys, even though I like the actors. It’s in the same vein of other cult favorites that I could not get into. Namely Arrested Development and Schitt’s Creek. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, GussieK said:

Anyway, I don’t know if I will stick with Moodys, even though I like the actors. It’s in the same vein of other cult favorites that I could not get into. Namely Arrested Development and Schitt’s Creek. 

I'm not sure I'd consider The Moodys in the same category as Arrested Development or Schitt's Creek, as far as being cult favorites or really anyone's favorite, but it did get a second season so I guess someone likes it well enough.  I don't think I'd put it on my must-see list but if I have a half hour and it pops up on Hulu, fine.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm not sure I'd consider The Moodys in the same category as Arrested Development or Schitt's Creek, as far as being cult favorites or really anyone's favorite, but it did get a second season so I guess someone likes it well enough.  I don't think I'd put it on my must-see list but if I have a half hour and it pops up on Hulu, fine.

I'm only thinking of it in the context of the genre of wacky family shows.  I usually cannot get into any of them.

I had never heard of this show. I didn't know there was a first season lol. But I like it well enough. I was happy to see something that wasn't about someone displaying some "cool" talent they think they have or a repackaged, garbage singing competition. I rebuke any of that mess pandemic or not. (Shakes angry fist)  it's short and the comedy isn't stupid humor which I can't do so I'll take it gladly enough even though it isn't set to be my next addiction. It's hard to highly satisfy me comedy wise.  

I love the cast and want to like this show but the writing is so odd. Is it a comedy? A drama? A dramedy? From what I can tell it aspires to be more comedy than anything else but it is painfully unfunny. The actors deserve better.

And yeah - it was two whole years when the first season ran and that was a limited run itself. Who the hell is supposed to remember what was going on the last time this show was on the air?

I'm shocked the show is even back. I'm guessing the network is just trying to get their money's worth on the actors contracts since there's so little original programming right now.