Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Christmas Spirit

ParadoxLost
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, Lunula said:

I thought the same thing, also - but then I think I saw Bobby showing her a piece of paper (assume it was the test results) when he told her?

Yeah, I think he showed her the results on his phone.

I wish they had given more time to the story of the woman who had a heart attack.  What was her history, did she have previous symptoms of was this completely unexpected. The timing was unclear if it was a week or only a few days between her heart attack and the party, I was wondering if they would have released her so soon.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Wait, did they ever address the guy that got sucked into the jet engine? That was so weird it was almost comical.

There was so much wrong with that scene I don't even know where to start. Other than the runway baggage cart being based on a real incident, it was ridiculous.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

There was so much wrong with that scene I don't even know where to start. Other than the runway baggage cart being based on a real incident, it was ridiculous.

The in show explanation was that the golf clubs destroyed the blades before the guy was pulled in saving him from serious injury. 

Whether or not that is realistic is questionable.  It is not the show's strong suit.  This is the show that had a rescue involving the fire ladder truck cruising down the highway to the ocean with a shark in a sling.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

The constant harping on anything Hewitt does on the show amuses me. She can't win. 

Everyone got time to shine this episode. No one was overshadowed by her. 

Connie Britton used to highjack much more of the show. I know it was cool for her because it's Connie. Yes she's a better actress.

I was much more tired of Connie's arc with her mom than anything with Maddie. 

Everything she went through would never just melt away. And I think Jennifer does fine with the material.

By nature of her position, she will continue to feel off with the rest of the stories. She doesn't mingle with the stories in the same way. She has ties to Chim and Buck but those two have ties to everyone. 

Again, Connie was even more of an outsider and her personal stories were even more removed from everything else minus Buck.

I sort of want less personal drama all-around when the show comes back. Stop threatening death on my lovely characters. Just let them have low key storylines and let the calls be the drama for a bit. 

• Love 24
7 hours ago, elle said:

I wish they had given more time to the story of the woman who had a heart attack.  What was her history, did she have previous symptoms of was this completely unexpected. The timing was unclear if it was a week or only a few days between her heart attack and the party, I was wondering if they would have released her so soon.

I expected she would die, and Hen would foster/adopt her son.  Could still happen I suppose.

• Useful 1

I read somewhere that the Rotten Tomatoes gave this how a high rank - I don't even know what Rotten Tomatoes is but I decided to give it a second chance because  - I find the writing terrible and the acting almost impossible to bear. But I did watch it again and I have a few words:

CPR on the stomach. They did CPR on the woman's stomach. I mean, the show is about first responders, can't they pretend a little better?

Rolled my eyes so hard, they got stuck in the back of my head for a few minutes

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, alexvillage said:

CPR on the stomach. They did CPR on the woman's stomach. I mean, the show is about first responders, can't they pretend a little better?

TV shows have gotten CPR wrong forever. I've taken the training, so I understand they can't do it properly on a healthy person, but as you say, they can pretend better. I think it was back on Emergency! - when CPR was becoming better known in the general public - that they had a tag on the end of a show where they performed CPR on a victim saying you couldn't learn it from watching a TV show, and should contact the American Heart Association or Red Cross for proper training.

• Love 4
On 12/2/2019 at 11:03 PM, preeya said:

dust storm

sigh

When will people get it through their thick heads that Texas isn't a desert, especially Austin. A tornado would have made way more sense.

• LOL 1
22 hours ago, Racj82 said:

The constant harping on anything Hewitt does on the show amuses me. She can't win. 

Everyone got time to shine this episode. No one was overshadowed by her. 

Connie Britton used to highjack much more of the show. I know it was cool for her because it's Connie. Yes she's a better actress.

Everything she went through would never just melt away. And I think Jennifer does fine with the material.

By nature of her position, she will continue to feel off with the rest of the stories. She doesn't mingle with the stories in the same way. She has ties to Chim and Buck but those two have ties to everyone. 

Again, Connie was even more of an outsider and her personal stories were even more removed from everything else minus Buck.

I sort of want less personal drama all-around when the show comes back. Stop threatening death on my lovely characters. Just let them have low key storylines and let the calls be the drama for a bit. 

if everyone dislikes her then maybe, just maybe she's the problem and not them??

Maybe Hewitt should buy herself a good mirror and take a long look at herself. And maybe, her lovers and the people who "don't have a problem with her" gotta learn how to respect other people’s opinions and stop attacking them for rightfully voicing it.

7 hours ago, DisplayyName said:

if everyone dislikes her then maybe, just maybe she's the problem and not them??

Maybe Hewitt should buy herself a good mirror and take a long look at herself. And maybe, her lovers and the people who "don't have a problem with her" gotta learn how to respect other people’s opinions and stop attacking them for rightfully voicing it.

Everyone has the right or like what they like. Rock on. You and others have your opinions. People will respond to them. That's what we all do.

Everyone doesn't hate her. As someone who doesn't. It's funny.

I don't hate anyone on the show. There is no character or performance I hate. Some are better than others. That's just TV.

Moving on.

I have no problem with Maddie's arc. But she needs a new plot separated from her trauma. It will never be forgotten but it doesn't need to be such a focus for her big stories.

I never thought I would come to enjoy this show so much. I don't even need all my fingers to count how much network tv I watch regularly now. But, 911, is still working for me. 

Lonestar has their work cut out for them 

Edited by Racj82
Typos
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, Moose135 said:

TV shows have gotten CPR wrong forever. I've taken the training, so I understand they can't do it properly on a healthy person, but as you say, they can pretend better. I think it was back on Emergency! - when CPR was becoming better known in the general public - that they had a tag on the end of a show where they performed CPR on a victim saying you couldn't learn it from watching a TV show, and should contact the American Heart Association or Red Cross for proper training.

Yeah, I have to take CPR every couple of years too and practicing on a dummy is easy. Not sure if I could actually pretend on a human. But then again, I am not an actor, and I am not a director who could position the camera a little better. What made me come here and post is the absurdity of the actor playing the kid pretending better than the actor playing the EMT. He, at least, got the hands positioned better. 

• Love 1

What I posted in last week's episode thread: 

"So glad that they seem to have expanded Michael's role. Longtime fan of Rockmond Dunbar." 

What I yelled at the screen last night: NONONONONONO F U SHOW!!!!

I am hoping that the majority voice of this thread that predict he'll be fine are all correct. I know I am taking this way too seriously, but what can I tell you? My life is divided into two TV genres: "Shows I can knit to and not pay as much attention" (mostly reality TV) and "Shows I actually have to pay attention to and I'll put everything down to watch."

This is firmly in the second camp, which includes specially-asterisked shows (like this) which are my special favorite pleasures.

Kudos to those who found both the news clip on the runaway catering cart on the tarmac in Chicago and the cadet who was pulled into the engine. 

Also, I truly laughed out loud like an idiot during that scene (until the guy -- of course, the "good guy" baggage handler -- was pulled into the engine) ... also-also, loved their use of "Waltz of the Flowers" there (in my mind, it was still "Yakety Sax" though). 

I wonder if there are individuals who are specially hired for this genre of show that do nothing but search the internet for "taken from real life" plot ideas. 

LOVE LOVE LOVE Hen/Aisha Hinds. I just want someone with that smile to be with me when I am feeling like crap and light up my room (for now, my color-changing llama nightlight takes care of all the room-lighting). 

Hate waiting until March. I'll watch 9-1-1 Lone Star but am not feeling that optimistic about whether I'll LOVE it.

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
Confirmed return date and went off to cry
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Santa shouldn't have intervened at all.  If things get out of control in a store like that, it should be the job of store security to get involved, no one else.

It's not like she had a gun.  Santa didn't want to call security and have her dragged out of the store.  He probably thought she'd calm down once she saw it was Santa Claus, so I don't blame him at all.  

• Love 1

I have no problem with Maddie's arc. But she needs a new plot separated from her trauma. It will never be forgotten but it doesn't need to be such a focus for her big stories.

Actually I thought the story with her intervening in the abused wife's life was pretty interesting, until it did a U-Turn and became all about Maddie and we had these scenes of her with the therapist, and then going out into the woods to relive her killing her husband. The story needs to tie into the theme and format of the show IMO. I feel the same way about Karen and Hen trying to have a kid. It has nothing to do with 911 emergency calls and it's not interesting to me.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, DisplayyName said:

Actually, I like her. I'm not crazy about the story line they have for her character right now, but that's not on her.

• Love 5
On 12/4/2019 at 10:54 PM, DisplayyName said:

Just my opinion, but there's a difference between "an extremely and frequently  vocal minority" and "everyone."

Saying the same thing over and over isn't making it true or widely supported, but it does make me appreciate having the "Ignore" button.

Edited by CoderLady
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14
21 hours ago, DisplayyName said:

That's the thing though "everyone" doesn't dislike her. I have liked her since I know what you did last summer. There's a difference between a criticism and an attack btw. A criticism goes after the opinion an attack goes after the person. If you don't won't people to disagree with you maybe you should create a blog.

Personally I don't think any celebrity should listen to internet haters. You can't please everyone in the end. I doubt JLH gives any thought to random twitter or forum users who have a problem with her

• Love 10
On 12/4/2019 at 2:47 AM, Racj82 said:

Co-sign. I like JLH so much more in this than I did Connie.  I didn’t like the mom storyline at all and felt she and Buck had anti-chemistry.  She just felt like a wrong fit for the show all around. 

• Love 6

Comments here should be about 9-1-1, its episodes and its characters.  Comments here should not be about other members and their opinions.  When you come across comments that ignore this rule, don't reply- just report the offending post. 

• Love 4

I didn't blame her for being pissed, but she lost me when she sprayed Santa Claus.   Santa was just trying to diffuse the situation, and she knew it.  Also, she sprayed some people who weren't even involved.  So yeah, she should have been arrested.

I thought the lady was going to surrender the package to Santa only to watch him scamper off with it. Ever since my request for a pogo stick went unanswered, I've never trusted the guy.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

I simply cannot fathom going to a big box store on a Black Friday. How much are you saving and is it worth the crowds and the mayhem? I kind of can't blame that woman for macing people who would actually try to grab an item right out of her hands. That borders on assault.

• Love 2

The episode had my emotions all over the place. I was cracking up during the opening store scene (b/c I have felt like that a few times—no macing though).  

I cried through the little boy CPR scene.  He was so sweet.

And I gasped out loud when the guy was sucked into the engine. It was very unexpected. Also laughed when golf clubs guy fainted. 

5 hours ago, mojito said:

I thought the lady was going to surrender the package to Santa only to watch him scamper off with it. 

That’s what I thought too!

• Love 2
On 12/5/2019 at 1:59 PM, icemiser69 said:

It doesn't matter what Santa was trying to do.  When I was just out of high school and worked in a department store, under no circumstances were employees to intervene under any circumstances.  Security people were bonded.  Regular employees were not.  If any employee pulled what Santa pulled, they would have been fired, even though Santa was trying to calm things down.

The woman pulled out mace, that doesn't mean she didn't have another weapon in her purse.

The woman isn't the only one responsible for what went on in that store, that store is also responsible for not keeping things under control.  I don't blame the woman for being upset.  Granted she shouldn't have used mace, but there had to be a better way to make sure that the woman didn't have to use mace just to keep someone from ripping the toy out of her hands.  That is where the store was at fault.

That whole scene reminded me of the early eighties news stories when people would get totally out of control over Cabbage Patch dolls.   I don't recall mace being used back then.  I do recall news stories of customers ripping Cabbage Patch dolls out of each others hands and fights breaking out.

Perhaps Santa was undercover.

On 12/5/2019 at 4:59 PM, icemiser69 said:

That whole scene reminded me of the early eighties news stories when people would get totally out of control over Cabbage Patch dolls.   I don't recall mace being used back then.  I do recall news stories of customers ripping Cabbage Patch dolls out of each others hands and fights breaking out.

For a while there was some "must have" toy that people lost their minds over every Christmas. Tickle Me Elmo, Teddy Ruxpin (a weird little teddy bear), Telatubbies; those are the ones I recall. I don't know if that still happens- my kids are beyond that stage, so that kind of thing isn't on my radar anymore.

On 12/2/2019 at 11:25 PM, chlban said:

Enough JLH already. She is ruining another show for me.

Wow, I haven't seen her in a while, I just started watching this show, and she is not aging well. I had a hard time recognizing her.. Time to get some soft high lites and cut that long lifeless mop. A good actress she is not. Guess those bazooms that were always on display got her a lot of work previously. 

• Love 1

I just realized that the therapist is Eddie winner of Season 1 Big Brother twenty years ago. He lost his leg to cancer when he was a teenager, if I remember right. I'm glad he's still acting- I remember seeing him on Desperate Housewives a long time ago. Such a handsome guy still! Therapy is definitely needed for all these characters and the misery this show likes to heap on them.

I work at a mall, and Black Friday really just isn't like that anymore because of Online Shopping and opening up the stores on Thanksgiving. It's more like controlled chaos now as opposed to how the media likes to depict it.

Loved the big together family dinner!

On 12/3/2019 at 4:23 PM, Ohwell said:

There's still no explanation for Bobby's nose bleeding though.  Maybe the writers were just messing with us and the nosebleed didn't mean anything, which would piss me off.

On 12/3/2019 at 5:43 PM, Jillybean said:

My nose randomly started bleeding a couple of weeks ago. I don't have an explanation other than my husband then revealed that our humidifier was on the fritz (we had the repair guy out the next day). Probably just the dry air, in my case. I'm not saying Bobby is in the clear, but nosebleeds are pretty common. I think it's Michael we need to worry about.

I just finished bingeing Seasons 1 & 3 because 2 is not on Hulu. 

• Random thoughts about Bobby’s nosebleeds: My life-long observations are that some people regularly get nosebleeds and others never do unless something unusual happens — which in Bobby’s case could be radiation sickness/cancer. Bobby’s list of other reasons only makes sense if he is one of those people who frequently gets nosebleeds —which we do not know for sure that he does. However, one other reason for nosebleeds is chemotherapy. 
  • About Michael: Throughout season 3 no mention is made of him dating or even being gay, but they have the first of 3 big behavioral symptoms of his brain tumor being his crying at seeing a Christmas ornament made of a picture of when he had a seemingly heteronormative family, and another symptom being him waking up in bed with Athena, in which he did not respond sexually, but still, the optics are all there for an I’m-not-really-gay-it-was-just-a-brain-tumor, soap-opera, offensive-to-LGBTQ-people-I-know plot. 
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

About Michael: Throughout season 3 no mention is made of him dating or even being gay, but they have the first of 3 big behavioral symptoms of his brain tumor being his crying at seeing a Christmas ornament made of a picture of when he had a seemingly heteronormative family, and another symptom being him waking up in bed with Athena, in which he did not respond sexually, but still, the optics are all there for an I’m-not-really-gay-it-was-just-a-brain-tumor, soap-opera, offensive-to-LGBTQ-people-I-know plot. 

Michael is gay.  He had a boyfriend but I believe they broke up.  I don't remember which season but it might have been Season 2 which you haven't seen.

• Love 2

Yeah, Season 2 - we meet Glenn.  Michael's boyfriend.  There is a great scene of Athena angrily mashing potatoes because Michael has brought him to dinner to meet the entire family including Bobby.  And Athena (rightfully imo) wonders if it had been a woman Michael had left her for, would people expect her to just welcome her into the house.

But several episodes later, in the episode where Harry's class goes to the firehouse on a field trip Michael is jealous of Harry's hero worship of Bobby and acts an entire ass he whole episode.  Until he apologizes saying some of his upset is because he and Glenn broke up and the two men talk about their different relationships with Harry.  And share pie.  I remember really loving that pie scene. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 12/2/2019 at 11:25 PM, anna0852 said:

I'm really loving the Grant/Nash family dynamic.

...and Bobby gets a friend he doesn't work with.

And when the little boy was doing CPR on his mom, and her sternum broke (crunch) and Maddie assured him that was okay, I noted that's the first time I've seen that on TV. When I took a CPR course, they told us that doing it right would probably break someone's sternum.

Edited by kwnyc