Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Life Goes On

jewel21
  • Start Topic

With everything going on Spencer can’t get excited about his football ranking and gets some guidance from Layla, who in turn realizes it might not be the best advice for anyone, including her. Jordan gets some more news he wasn’t expecting, and Laura makes a decision about where she and Billy stand. Meanwhile, Asher gets some clarity from his parents on what happened in the last year, which helps Olivia and Asher to figure out their own stuff, too.

Airdate: 12/02/2019

Thank goodness the Olivia/Asher friend stuff was short lived. They are the only happy thing about this show right now. The rest is such a downer- Jordan getting lied to about the kid being his, Billy getting the separation papers, and now Spencer leaving football. I’m hoping it’s short lived since this show is about football, but I’m willing to see his journey. I do like how he’s still there for Layla and how she’s finally getting help. I felt for her when she hesitated hitting the brakes on her car. And now with Tyrone coming back, I’m worried something is going to happen to Coop.

• Love 7

Olivia and Asher's scene at the fountain was very sweet, and I'm glad Layla decided to get help (though as usual, her dad is nowhere to be found).  It should be interesting to see what happens with Spencer; because they're between football seasons doing the 7-on-7 right now, that gives them some leeway at least for a few episodes. 

As soon as Coop was walking into a liquor store at the end of the episode and telling Patience on the phone she would see her soon, I was like, "Crap, she's going to get shot!"  At least that hasn't happened so far, though I thought it was going to be some random person on behalf of Tyrone, not him.  It seems pretty stupid that Tyrone is back on the show.  It probably won't be as bad as One Tree Hill where people could confess to murder and only serve a couple years or some other murderer would be arrested and they would retcon that they never proved the murder so he could get out.  But if Tyrone was getting out on some stupid technicality, someone could have at least warned Coop.  I know Laura has a lot going on, but wouldn't she know?  Maybe Tyrone will get killed, as it would be very annoying and nerve-racking to have him hanging around breathing down Coop's neck for more than an episode or so.

• Love 5

Probably of all the couples on the show, I like Olivia and Asher the best.  They have chemistry and so very pretty and I just root for them each on a personal level.

I am so glad a tv show finally acknowledged that a headstone takes time to erect.  LOL.  How many shows have the headstone all carved and settled in the ground, like a day or two after the funeral.

If I were Spencer, I would not be taking any sort of coping advice from Layla. Or any advice at all from Layla.  I just find Layla tiresome.  I get they are trying to do a good story line on teenage depression, but she just doesn't sell it for me.

Am I wrong for not caring at all about Billy and Laura's marriage?  Although I do wonder if it is a way to open a path to Billy and Grace?  Seems weird if they are gonna go there at this point.  Honestly, I'd prefer to see Grace with anyone but Billy.

Who builds a crib before the mother is out of the first trimester?  Who passes on a family heirloom before a bun is  barely even in the oven.  All I could think was "y'all need to pump the brakes."  And sure enough.  Also, I love you Liv, but that baby is not Jordan's responsibility.  It felt all kinds of icky for her to guilt  him to take any sort of role in that other than supportive friend once he realized Simone lied to him.  Her baby woes are not his. 

I am glad Darnell is staying.

Honestly, I don't care about Coop and her rap dreams.  I wish the show would just stay centered on high football rivalries and soapy family angst and get out of Coop's rap & gang woes.

• Love 7

^Yaaaaaasas.  I get where Liv was coming from, but Jordan has no responsibility whatsoever.  If Liv is so worried about the baby she can be Simone’s friend.  Also, maybe Simone should think before having sex with someone she doesn’t want to be a baby daddy.

Didn’t Laura say she wanted to work it out?  Then she has sex with Billy and it’s hello divorce papers?  I would be confused too if I were him.

• Love 6

Yes, I have no idea why Laura did a complete 180. I wonder if she’s worried she will get hurt again if she takes him back or if he cheats on her again. Or maybe she had an affair as well and is now feeling guilty (typical CW storyline). I don’t blame Billy for being confused by it all.

Simone sucked. Jordan does not have to be nice to her. She was ready to tell him off in front of everyone at the coffee shop and then guilted him to miss the practice game so she didn’t have to be alone during the ultrasound. Do you really think she would be after him if he wasn’t loaded? Run far, far away Jordan!

You better not screw Olivia and Asher up, writers! I couldn’t stand him last season but he’s definitely one of my favorites now. It’s nice seeing him own up to his mistakes.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 6
On 12/4/2019 at 8:32 AM, DearEvette said:

If I were Spencer, I would not be taking any sort of coping advice from Layla. Or any advice at all from Layla.  I just find Layla tiresome.  I get they are trying to do a good story line on teenage depression, but she just doesn't sell it for me.

At least her story line has some gravitas. Last season I found Layla boring because she didn't do anything important besides being the pretty girl in a love triangle (Quadrangle?--I forgot about Olivia).

And I'm glad she's finally getting help. But yeah, where's her dad? I don't think Layla would've been able to check herself into the hospital without him. She's not 18 yet. Right? 

On 12/3/2019 at 1:28 AM, twoods said:

Thank goodness the Olivia/Asher friend stuff was short lived. They are the only happy thing about this show right now. The rest is such a downer- Jordan getting lied to about the kid being his, Billy getting the separation papers, and now Spencer leaving football. I’m hoping it’s short lived since this show is about football, but I’m willing to see his journey. I do like how he’s still there for Layla and how she’s finally getting help. I felt for her when she hesitated hitting the brakes on her car. And now with Tyrone coming back, I’m worried something is going to happen to Coop.

When Layla finally put on the brakes instead of driving over the cliff, I felt myself exhale. I didn't think she'd die, but the scene was tense. And when she stopped the car, I start yelling, "Call Spencer! Call Spencer!" I'm glad she did. 

I'm fine with Spencer not feeling excited about football and wanting to take a break-- although I agree with you that I hope it's short-lived.  I like the dramatic plot lines this season, but the football scenes remain the most enjoyable part of the show for me. 

And why is Spencer all of a sudden saying that he was playing football for his dad? He hadn't seen his dad in years. 

RE: Jordan, I know three guys who've been lied to about being a woman's baby-daddy. And they were hurt when they learned the truth. Even though they were eventually happy they weren't having an unplanned child with a woman they were no longer dating, they'd already started getting used to the idea of being a dad. So the way Jordan played it was very realistic. 

• Love 4

I was reading some old E-mails and came across one where I described the season 1 finale to a friend.  I told her about how Coop got Tyrone to confess to murder on tape, which was of course just completely disregarded in this episode because apparently Coop had it too easy.  (I remember that they said they released Tyrone because Preach didn't testify, but didn't address the confession at all.)  In the E-mail, I had told my friend that it was probably the last episode and that the show would be cancelled for low ratings.  LOL at that now, but I wonder if the showrunners were also quite unsure about the future after season 1 and had Tyrone apparently sent away to prison for a long time to give a satisfactory wrap-up if they had ended it then.  (I posted this here instead of under season 1 discussion so I don't spoil for someone who has just picked it up but hasn't gotten to this part of season 2 yet.)