Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: We Need To Talk

• Start Topic

Credit card policies will vary between dealerships. I've seen a 5-figure used car put entirely on credit card. When you figure how much negotiating room there often is on cars, it's not difficult to figure out how a dealer can make up a loss on a 3.5% fee. 

I understand the criticism, but just can't bring myself to judge Juliana for the car purchase. I'm thinking it was fair game. (At least until I know more about the arrangement.)

Edited by Evangeline
  • Love 5

Tania will give Syngin a honey-do list before she leaves and will expect the shed to be in perfect order upon her return.  If Syngin doesn't perform to her satisfaction, back to SA he goes.  She's leaving while the leaving is good, and leaving her boy-toy behind to do all the projects she promised would be done before he arrived. 

• Love 22
5 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

That house is very 2003. The market in that area is bad, so I'm sure he got a great deal on it. I'm sure it sat on market for a long time.  It needs a complete update. Those light color tile entry floors are a nightmare. We havent seen the kitchen but I'm guessing Corian and dark cherry cabinets. Lol, I'm such a snob! The property was beautiful, and it's Greenwich so it can't be cheap.

My friend looked it up. He bought it for $1.2 million. We didn’t find out how much property taxes cost but it’s on an acre of land. I agree that it’s pretty dated and I was expecting something a little fancier considering how he presents himself as such a rich guy. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, RealReality said:

there is a good chance I made up the term "transactional relationship" and kept using it because I think it works. 

Nope, it's a common description of the relationships we normally see now on this shit show. The term has been used for decades as it relates to sex workers, as well as informal sex workers - girls similar to Juliana and the Ukrainian women we've seen on this show. You give something to a relationship (sex usually) and you get something back from it (access to more money, a better life, a way to send money home to your family). Sounds like sex work to me, doesn't it?

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, suzeecat said:

Tania will give Syngin a honey-do list before she leaves and will expect the shed to be in perfect order upon her return.  If Syngin doesn't perform to her satisfaction, back to SA he goes.  She's leaving while the leaving is good, and leaving her boy-toy behind to do all the projects she promised would be done before he arrived. 

I think you hit the nail on the head.  SHE was too busy filling out papers to get the shed in order but syngin will be in a world of hurt if that shed isnt a fully formed cottage complete with a nursery by the time she gets back.....because they (he) needs to get on the ball!

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Maybe Juliana gave the car to her boyfriend? haha just throwing that out there.

I don't think Juliana would have a bf who couldn't afford a car. I think she bought it for herself in case her visa was denied or the marriage didn't happen.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, RealReality said:

My dad buys his cars outright, but he loves, loves, LOVES credit card points and has a pretty healthy credit limit.  He has always tried to buy vehicles with his credit card and thus far no one has allowed it.  Which is too bad, because he always mourns for those credit card points that never were. 

I'm the same. I feel his pain.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, not you again said:

He was even setting this up in their portion of the show.  He said (paraphrasing) "My other two wives did the same . . . they were fine for a year and then, they changed."

She deserves whatever she gets.  Idiot.

the writing was on the wall. There is nothing different about her to make him change. He never will. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, BallisticNikki said:

Right. He said he did not want to have kids until they were marrried and she was living in the US. And then she whispers, "please?"🙄

He said what the fuck he said! OMG

"Well as long you said please......."

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, gingerella said:

Nope, it's a common description of the relationships we normally see now on this shit show. The term has been used for decades as it relates to sex workers, as well as informal sex workers - girls similar to Juliana and the Ukrainian women we've seen on this show. You give something to a relationship (sex usually) and you get something back from it (access to more money, a better life, a way to send money home to your family). Sounds like sex work to me, doesn't it?

I think nearly all relationships,  have always had some transactional element to them.   In the old days, (and still in some places today) marriages were arranged for the financial on political benefit of families.

Even in the purest love relationships, both parties are probably expecting something from the other.  Maybe its only "country walks in springtime and a hand to hold when leaves begin to fall", but  everyone is looking to get something out of a relationship.

Women typically don't fall madly in love with a funny looking guy with no good job or money, and even if they do, they might not marry them.   Men don't typically fall in love with women who they aren't in some way attracted to and don't expect sex from.  Almost nobody gives no regard whatsoever to how a marriage will affect their financial situation.  

Prostitution is at the extreme high end of transactional relationship scale  Let's call it a 10   If purest, true love is a 1 and  the average marriage is a 5, I'd say Michael and Juliana are about a 7 or 8.    

I think they have some fondness for each other.  I also think Juliana would settle for him, even if he offered her less.  But, I don't think she'd be marrying him if he had Robert's bank account.   On Michael's side, I think he likes buying Juliana stuff and spends more on her than he needs to, to complete the transaction.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
3 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

I thought Michael said when he was having that ugly necklace made for her that Juliana spent $15,000 on the car. Then again I do the live chat so I sometimes miss stuff so I could be wrong.

Another reason I like Pillow talk is because I often catch things that I miss during live chat

• Love 5
2 hours ago, RealReality said:

My dad buys his cars outright, but he loves, loves, LOVES credit card points and has a pretty healthy credit limit.  He has always tried to buy vehicles with his credit card and thus far no one has allowed it.  Which is too bad, because he always mourns for those credit card points that never were. 

Does he whip out the credit card after negotiating the price?  If he tells them in advance he wanted to pay with a CC they might go along, but they would probably jack up the price 2 or 3%, or give him less on the trade in, to cover their credit card fees.    The card points wouldn't be worth the extra costs, though.  

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

Tania:  "I literally have a clock inside of me..." NO honey you do not literally have a clock inside of you.  I HATE it when people use the word literally incorrectly

You never know, she could have swallowed a clock or had one surgically implanted.  😂🤣😂🤣

• LOL 11

Syngin seemed okay with Tania leaving for a month. He said he was okay with it.  I mean, he's not stupid. A month without a supervisor!  It doesn't sound so bad, really. lol   I don't mind these two as much as most do.  Despite their issues, I find them less annoying than the others.  Of course, the bar is pretty low for this group. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Does he whip out the credit card after negotiating the price?  If he tells them in advance he wanted to pay with a CC they might go along, but they would probably jack up the price 2 or 3%, or give him less on the trade in, to cover their credit card fees.    The card points wouldn't be worth the extra costs, though.  

Last car he tried to do this with was mine - through CarMax so there was no negotiation.  It was a flat no on the credit card and his disappointment was palpable. 

I think more dealerships are trying to experiment with "no haggle pricing."

The purchase before that was for his truck, which was new, and I think he had negotiated price before trying to use his card so maybe that's why no one would allow it.  

LOL, my dad could possibly make an illogical decision for points....he really likes credit card points.....but, he enjoys talking about them even more.....and what's better than that is when he can talk to people about how he used the points.  

I tell my mom all the time that if credit card points were a woman, my dad would be having an affair. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

A month without a supervisor! 

No kidding!!  He will love the peace and quiet.  And Tonia, half your eggs don't disappear when you turn 30.

10 minutes ago, Angry Moldovan said:

Another reason I like Pillow talk is because I often catch things that I miss during live chat

I agree!  Plus I laugh out loud at them most of the time.  Pao has not bugged me....yet.  I miss Annnndrei though.  "Who is this Chef Bordy?"

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

Re: the transactional marriage:

Aren't we also, mainly, looking for a life partner? Someone who you love, who makes you laugh, has your back, has similar values, cares about the same important things. Someone who you're going to plan with, travel with, buy a house with, have a family with, financial plan with? Etc. Country walks and sunset viewing are nice, but for me make up a small part of what goes into a long term, committed relationship.

I guess if I tilt my hide sideways and squint really hard I could see that as in some way transactional -- for example, I'm giving my cooking, stain removal and painting skills in exchange for my husband's car maintenance, candy-making and accounting skills?  But that's a lot of squinting, and seems like it doesn't do a good marriage/partnership/relationship justice. I don't feel it's a mere exchange, rather it's a gestalt-y "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts type of deal".

Either I am lucky to have a great marriage, or I'm seriously delusional. 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
8 minutes ago, Jel said:

Aren't we also, mainly, looking for a life partner? Someone who you love, who makes you laugh, has your back, has similar values, cares about the same important things. Someone who you're going to plan with, travel with, buy a house with, have a family with, financial plan with? Etc. Country walks and sunset viewing are nice, but for me make up a small part of what goes into a long term, committed relationship.

I guess if I tilt my hide sideways and squint really hard I could see that as in some way transactional -- for example, I'm giving my cooking, stain removal and painting skills in exchange for my husband's car maintenance, candy-making and accounting skills?  But that's a lot of squinting, and seems like it doesn't do a good marriage/partnership/relationship justice. I don't feel it's a mere exchange, rather it's a gestalt-y "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts type of deal".

I think the stain removal and painting for car maintenance, candy and accounting skills are about the purest, least cynical type of exchange in a marriage.  

My point is that a part of why people get married is that they believe the marriage will benefit them.  In the worst cases, it is a gold digger woman and a pervy old man (or vice versa). 

But, even in the best cases, the ability of the other partner to enhance one's life in various ways always comes into play.   

That is why I don't judge the a more transactional marriage like Michael and Juliana quite so harshly.  

• Love 12
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Syngin seemed okay with Tania leaving for a month. He said he was okay with it.  I mean, he's not stupid. A month without a supervisor!  It doesn't sound so bad, really. lol   I don't mind these two as much as most do.  Despite their issues, I find them less annoying than the others.  Of course, the bar is pretty low for this group. 

So the routine is they sleep in the shed but need to walk to her mother's house to use the bathroom and kitchen? The shed is just a bedroom?

That would be kind of creepy for the mother to have Synjin just wandering in and out at all times? But maybe they could hang out and she could get to know him better while tania is gone? It seems like a wonderful opportunity for him to travel around the US and find his own groove w/o her.

Edited by BallisticNikki
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, magemaud said:

Absolutely, totally staged, just like the interactions we have seen over the years with hair stylists, barbers, manicurists, store employees, bartenders, photographers, as well as the "professional" listeners like attorneys, physicians, counselors and clergy. 

A special shout to to the sex shop retail employees

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I think the stain removal and painting for car maintenance, candy and accounting skills are about the purest, least cynical type of exchange in a marriage.  

My point is that a part of why people get married is that they believe the marriage will benefit them.  In the worst cases, it is a gold digger woman and a pervy old man (or vice versa). 

But, even in the best cases, the ability of the other partner to enhance one's life in various ways always comes into play.   

That is why I don't judge the a more transactional marriage like Michael and Juliana quite so harshly.  

Someone told me you know you're getting old when the police officers and firefighters look young. But I think this might be the real "I'm old"  litmus test -- how are you with a transactional relationships?  As one funny poster used to say in the real housewives forums -- "I burned my bra for this?"

It's official -- I'm old. 😉

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, Jel said:

Well that's all fine (IMO) if both have a roughly equal amount of genuine love for the other. But it becomes horrible when one party feels almost nothing for their partner or is actually repulsed by him/her and just tolerates them for the intended benefit. Bc at some point, the mask will slip off, even briefly, and the person w genuine feelings will sense the apathy in the other. I feel like that is the case w/ Michael and Angela. And Pao and Russ. I thought that might be the case w/ Anfisa and Jorge but later on it seemed like she was genuinely hurt by his lies and lashing out. Definitely feels like that is the case btwn Jasmine and Blake. 

Edited by BallisticNikki
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Jel said:

Someone told me you know you're getting old when the police officers and firefighters look young. But I think this might be the real "I'm old"  litmus test -- how are you with a transactional relationships?  As one funny poster used to say in the real housewives forums -- "I burned my bra for this?"

It's official -- I'm old. 😉

LOL.  I am old too.  I guess maybe I am getting more cynical in my old age. 

I believe in true love, but I guess I think that even true love is partially motivated by qualities in the other person that you want in your life.

I also think that most marriages are not based on love quite a pure as yours is.  Financial concerns are a big factor in a lot of people's decisions about who to marry.  It is pretty common for women to want to marry successful men or men with potential to earn money.  Maybe the Juliana's are just a little less subtle, and perhaps a bit more honest about money being a factor.   

I think a lot of people convince themselves the pretty girl or wealthy or good looking guy are somehow more virtuous than the the plain looking person of more modest means, because they don't want to feel shallow while they chase money and/or looks.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I actually think Pao actually loves Russ - she just expresses it in a vastly different way in which I (and I suspect a lot of people) are comfortable with.  

I would think Sinjin would be annoyed because he would be truly stuck - isn't he unable to drive while he is on the K-1 visa?  However, who would be driving him home from the airport after he drops off Tania?

Edited by RoxiP
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

I actually think Pao actually loves Russ - she just expresses it in a vastly different way in which I (and I suspect a lot of people) are comfortable with.  

I would think Sinjin would be annoyed because he would be truly stuck - isn't he unable to drive while he is on the K-1 visa?  However, who would be driving him home from the airport after he drops off Tania?

She may. But I don't think it's to the same degree as he loves her. All he does is compromise and overlook the crap treatment she dishes. It's all about her.

• Love 11
48 minutes ago, RealReality said:

I might exchange some stuff for a man who made candy.....IJS

I first read this as a "man made of candy." I'm all for my own personal Candy Man. 

30 minutes ago, Angry Moldovan said:

A special shout to to the sex shop retail employees

who "sell dildos for a living"

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

I looked it up, the laws vary from state to state but it looks like Synjin is good to go: "Students and visitors in Connecticut can drive using their foreign license for up to one year. If your license is in a language other than Spanish or English, you must also carry an International Driver Permit (IDP) to legally drive with that license."

And didn't he recently get ticketed for driving without his seat belt? 

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, magemaud said:

I looked it up, the laws vary from state to state but it looks like Synjin is good to go: "Students and visitors in Connecticut can drive using their foreign license for up to one year. If your license is in a language other than Spanish or English, you must also carry an International Driver Permit (IDP) to legally drive with that license."

And didn't he recently get ticketed for driving without his seat belt? 

Yeah

Spoiler

, among other things......lol. 

What’s the point of going furniture shopping when she hasn’t even seen the house yet?  I would need some idea of the rooms and what would fit where, etc.

I don’t agree with the whole renovation of an entire house just because styles may have changed.  It’s one thing if things are in bad condition, but why is it considered necessary to change things to the current trend (which will be “dated” in a few years again)?  Sure, change wall colors, rip out wallpaper, that kind of thing, but I think it goes too far with every house having to look alike.  

I think it’s a moot point anyway - this guy doesn’t have the money he pretends to have.

• Love 23
11 hours ago, OrchidThief said:

Sorry I’m old and too stupid to understand the lingo. What does “on 10” mean? And “15?”

LOL, I'm sorry, I didn't see this earlier.  On 10 mean that he is always like super excited, super "on!". Imagine human excitement and emotion on a scale of 1-10, with one being like.....I don't know....Brett, or Ben stien....just very, very low key and laid back.

On the other side of the spectrum you have 10!  Like Blake....or carrot top.

46 minutes ago, magemaud said:

I first read this as a "man made of candy." I'm all for my own personal Candy Man. 

who "sell dildos for a living"

LOL, ummm no, no ceasar Mack for me.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Where I live the plural of Lego is Legos.  I have never heard anyone use Lego as a plural.  

I never realized this was a topic of debate, but apparently it is:

https://painintheenglish.com/case/4639

Juliana doesn't come across as particularly childlike to me.  If anything, Michael seems more like a big child, chasing a young woman and buying lots of cars as toys.   

As a kindergarten teacher of over 30 years, I learned recently that I was misusing the name LEGO by saying Legos.  The company prefers that we use LEGO bricks and pluralize bricks.  That said, everyone in my area uses the word "legos" and I continue to do so out of habit, regardless of my new insight.  It may not be the preferred usage, but it is acceptable in the local culture and is comprehensible to those who hear it (though it may sound odd to Europeans or others who are more enlightened.)

• Useful 4
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, Jel said:

I vote surgeon left watch behind in tragic surgical mishap. 

The mishap was that even though Tanya was supposed to be under, she kept talking to the surgeon and nitpicking the job being done.

(Imagine demonic voice) No my spleen is supposed to be 16 millimeters more to the left! Aren’t you done yet? I’ve got witch doctoring to do! I don’t know why appendicitis couldn’t just be cured with potions anyway!

In the surgeons haste to get TF out of there, a watch was dropped and left. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, RoxiP said:

Hey, remember, he's just a simple lad, used to running amongst the thorn trees in his bare feet! 

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
Spoiler

Are they kidding me with the preview for next week that Grangela and Mahkul are back on next week??  I think I am glad I am flying and will just HAVE to unfortunately miss the episode.

How can I miss Grangela when she just won’t go away?!?!?!?

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, DiamondGirl said:

I don’t agree with the whole renovation of an entire house just because styles may have changed.  It’s one thing if things are in bad condition, but why is it considered necessary to change things to the current trend (which will be “dated” in a few years again)?  Sure, change wall colors, rip out wallpaper, that kind of thing, but I think it goes too far with every house having to look alike.  

Yes, I know we're getting off topic here but I am in total agreement.  The idea of renovating just to renovate is crazy to me.  I have no idea if my house is "dated" or not because when we renovated we just did whatever we wanted - and we still like it, even if it isn't the latest fashion.

• Love 19
On 12/1/2019 at 10:31 AM, SabineElisabeth said:

Jasmin haughtily noting in a TH that Blake's friends were simply shocked she doesn't drink.  Because, you know, clearly, she's such a fascinating special snowflake and all.  Eye roll.  And unless there was more we didn't see, his friends didn't give two shits about Jasmin's beverage preferences; they were just trying to fill the incredibly awkward silence caused by Jasmin ungraciously sitting there looking like she was smelling shit.  I get why she might not have wanted to do a huge pool party on Day 1, but take that up with Blake in private and if you lose and end up in the presence of Blake's 30 closest friends... well, as my mother would say, "Fucking act like somebody!"

First of all, I loved reading your comments.  Have you thought of hosting Tell-Alls?  

I am sooooo bothered by Jasmin and her attitude.  I give Blake props for putting up with her rudeness and narcissism, stating that it was due to only being in the country for a day or two.  If only that were the case.  He'll find out soon enough that she has an agenda, and he's on it for one purpose only--- to supply the green card.  She seems to have a very superior attitude, but she will learn soon enough that she is not that special.  Anyone with money for injections and surgery can look just as "special."

• Love 8
On 12/1/2019 at 10:31 AM, SabineElisabeth said:

Watching part 1 and laughing my ass off at:

- Mursel admitting in his TH that he often pretends not to understand Anna to avoid talking about difficult topics.  Anna's acting as though she's on the brink of a full-on nervous breakdown, and Mursel just laughs and says, "Yes, Anna," or "I don't know, Anna," or something equally vague and non-responsive.  I might feel bad for Anna, had she not known every single thing she's now hand wringing about before she brought Mursel to the U.S.  If she really thought that in 90 days, he'd suddenly decide it was a great idea to tell his parents about her kids and start having meaningful conversations with her in fluent English..... well, you can't fix stupid.  (And why exactly, if she's so distraught about it, did Anna not tell Mursel's parents about her kids when she was in Turkey?  If it's that important that your kids not be treated like a dirty little secret, then maybe you should have the moxy to own it whether the weirdo you're fucking but can't talk to does or not.  Food for thought, Anna.... )

Well said!

Also, will someone please let Anna know that she doesn't have to go out and buy a wedding dress if she feels that marriage to Mursel is a mistake?  If I have to see one more 90 day bride crying with regret while looking for wedding dresses...

I actually think/hope that this marriage will not proceed.  Maybe she is going along with production ideas, but having second, third, fourth thoughts.  Hopefully.

Edited by SemiCharmedLife
typo
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Same here... the doe-eyed hair-flipping, combined with a voice with a dog-whistle range, is the perfect physical representation of her juvenile (an minimal) personality. Conversating (I watch Judge Judy, and it's a word) with her must be like talking with a preschooler. Totally uninteresting and the adult has to do all the conversational heavy lifting.

Part of her charm may be that she is sexually accommodating,

She wants money, lots of it.  I wonder if Mr. I Got Money leases any of those cars?

Just now, PityFree said:

Jazmin is ugly and rude. She can barely stand Blake. He’s blind to her disgust.

Absolutely.  Apparently Blake can't see what a bitch she is. Send the Botox babe back asap.

• Love 2