Type keyword(s) to search

Santa’s Baking Blizzard - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Three teams of America's best bakers join forces with master ice sculptors to create mind-blowing Christmas scenes that defy the laws of cake and ice. Host Casey Webb presents the spirited bakers with challenges as they pursue their shot at the finale and a stocking full of $25,000.

@Pepper the Cat here you go.

• Love 1

I loved the penguins that the winning team made.

That gal is really talented.  I was sorry their cake was dry because their display was easily the best.  I was very happy that they took first place and will compete again.  The ice sculptor who made the city skyline impressed me too.  

• Love 3
17 hours ago, mlp said:

That gal is really talented.  I was sorry their cake was dry because their display was easily the best.  I was very happy that they took first place and will compete again.  The ice sculptor who made the city skyline impressed me too.  

That lady did phenomenal work! A true artist! Even though their matcha cake was dry, I thought it would be a shame to send that team home. Then her incredible figures in Central Park just took it over the top. It will be difficult for another team to produce figures just as perfect as hers were. Glad to see there is a forum for this show! 

• Love 5

I like this better than Holiday Wars....but just by a bit. Because at least there's more actual edible items going into it. Still wish the 2nd part involved tasting as well. Since it is about edible designs. This is my biggest pet peeve, being a pro baker. 

• Love 2

I don't understand why cake artists would expect cake covered with heavy fondant to stay put on a vertical surface but I did feel sorry for the team that had to stand and watch their chair fall apart as time was called.  How frustrating and embarrassing!  I also didn't understand why the team with the life-size figure didn't see the gap in the folds of the dress and fix it before they ran out of time.  It was obvious.  IMO The right team won.

I wish they'd give the ice carvers a little more attention.   What they are able to do with a block of ice and power tools fascinates me.  

• Love 6
On 12/9/2019 at 9:40 PM, Maverick said:

He came with the Discovery Network acquisition (along with Buddy Valastro) and is someone they are currently trying to make Happen.

Yep.  He was the host of Man Vs. Food on The Travel Channel.  They recently dumped all their food programming, or relegated it to The Cooking Channel.

• Useful 1

I've been trying to remember where I know Mike Elder from.  I recognized him immediately.  For a guy who looks and sounds like he ought to be driving a truck with jacked up wheels, he sure does great sculpting.  I was impressed with both creations his team made and I was glad they won.

Once again, we had a team of cake artists who weren't familiar with gravity.   I felt bad for them after all their time and work but......geeeesh.   The scene they came up with was lovely but it didn't meet the requirement of the challenge.  

I like Amanda and Zac.  I have no idea who the third judge was but, as soon as I heard "influencer," I rolled my eyes and ignored her.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:40 PM, Maverick said:

He came with the Discovery Network acquisition (along with Buddy Valastro) and is someone they are currently trying to make Happen.

Ah, I should have known. He looks like is permanently leaning back to me - it's weird. he showed up as a judge on this year's Kid's Baking Championship seasonal episode.

But I guess he's a little better than Ian Ziering (sp?) hosting a Food Network Challenge show - or Marcia Brady judging a baking show....ug

• Love 2

The Asian girls won.  I was happy for them because they were clearly talented, especially the one who molded characters, and they seemed nice.  Mike and crew did a neat piece but it had some obvious flaws and he knew it.  I loved the Santa the third team did.  The French fellow did beautiful work all along and I'd like to see him again but with a different partner because she was the problem on that team.

• Love 2

Those were beautiful and clever pieces. I loved Dasher and his tight fitting skater outfit. Oooh la la, Mrs. Dasher is quite lucky!

Sachiko is a brilliant genius and her figures and the details that she gives to the figures is nothing short of perfection. I also loved having the ice sculpture artists included who are also amazing. They picked the right winner last night and I hope the show returns next year. 

• Love 2

Does anyone else think that the big sheet cakes the teams were using in the finale were provided for them? It didn't seem like any of the teams did any baking (except for their treats). They just went right into sculpting the cakes and rice crispies.   

1 hour ago, TrixieTrue said:

Does anyone else think that the big sheet cakes the teams were using in the finale were provided for them? It didn't seem like any of the teams did any baking (except for their treats). They just went right into sculpting the cakes and rice crispies.   

Yes, I do think so. When the cake (and krispy treats) are not going to be judged on taste, I believe it is provided. I also think this is the case for Holiday Wars. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Yes, I do think so. When the cake (and krispy treats) are not going to be judged on taste, I believe it is provided. I also think this is the case for Holiday Wars. 

I thought about that as well when I was watching it. Since they only have a short amount of time to create such huge sculptures, baking several cakes would eat up at least a 1/3 of it.

• Love 1