Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
mstaken

Best. Simpsons. Ever

This is the place to rank and discuss the 'best of' the Simpsons! Favorite episodes, favorite characters, favorite seasons, favorite running jokes...etc. 

Here's one to get us started: If you could keep just 10-15 Simpsons episodes, which would you choose?! 

To start:

Cape Feare (Your name is Homer Thompson)

Marge vs. Monorail (Simpson, Homer Simpson, He's the greatest guy in history. From the, town of Springfield, He's about to hit a chestnut tree. AAAAGH!)

22 Short Films about Springfiled (An Aurora Borealis? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within your kitchen?)

Flaming Moe's (Hugh Jass!  Somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass!)

Those four have been in my top 10 list forever and are never coming off it.  After that, there is an ever changing list that includes:

Last Exit to Springfield ("Oh man, I shouldn't have had all that beer and coffee and watermelon.)

Homer at the Bat (Hey, Homer's choking again.)

Rosebud (Ooooh! A head bag! They're chock full of heady... goodness.)

You Only Move Twice (Nobody every says Italy.)

Homer the Great (Who rigs ever Oscar night?)

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Like 3

Amen! Then again, I tend to love nearly every Sideshow Bob episode more than is rational :) 

22 Short Films about Springfiled (An Aurora Borealis? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within your kitchen?)

I adore this one as well. 

Looking through the list of episodes, I've noticed that a disproportionate number of my most rewatched favorites happen to hail from S5 and S7. But I do also like some of the recent seasons more than most do and (*whispers*) think S25 had a few absolute gems. 

• Like 2

Well, you know, that's kind of why I noted that I have that short list that never comes off of my top ten, and then named a few other older episodes that have always made me happy to see them.  But it would be unfair of me to say that I haven't really enjoyed many of the episodes made in the last ten years. There are a whole bunch of really fun and smart episodes in the last batch of 200, but there is no chance I'll remember them as fondly as I will the ten or so I just mentioned. I watched those old episodes dozens of times, and that was even before the DVR, which means I video taped the damn things and watched them over and over again.  Those are the episodes that made The Simpsons a second language between me and my friends. Those are the episodes that made The Simpsons part of our collective culture.

• Like 2

watched those old episodes dozens of times,

Only dozens?! You're way behind, my friend :) 

What are your five(ish) favorite seasons? No ties allowed, of course, because I'm sadistic that way. 

Homer the Great (Who rigs ever Oscar night?)

"We do!  We do!"  Heh.

Favorite seasons would probably be any one between 1-10.  The show was so much better back then.  Homer was dumb without being a jerk and not every word out of Marge's mouth annoyed the crap out of me.  *sigh* Where did those days go?

• Like 2

The season 3-9 heyday also had the advantage of still being able to explore new things about the characters. For example, we knew that Moe was a sad, angry guy who was also a little shady and a small time bookie.  But in season five, (in the Cape Feare episode) we learned that he was also dabbling in international wildlife smuggling.  Of course, when he got caught, he waved the pandas out of the back door. Andele!

• Like 2

I'd have to wade through to hammer down my top 10, but since my brother's decision to be a vegetarian mirrored Lisa's, "Lisa the Vegetarian" will always have a special place in my heart.  And in an episode full of lines that crack me up, for some reason, Barney's "Go back to Russia!" when Lisa brings out Gazpacho is what makes me laugh the hardest.

Actually, season 7 in general has some of my favorite episodes - King Sized Homer is in that season too I think.

• Like 4

Actually, season 7 in general has some of my favorite episodes -

Table for two, please :) If I could keep just one season, it would be S7, though S5 is a very close second. I think I'd give the bronze medal to S8. Or maybe S6.  Or---well, it's kind of a five-way tie! I actually don't love S4 quite as much as most do, though it's still wonderful. And I'm always pleasantly surprised by how many episodes I love from later seasons. The highs aren't quite as high and there are certainly lower lows, but for me the later seasons are still well worth rewatching...particularly if I keep my fast forward button within pressing distance when the need arises :)  

• Like 2

Even though it's rarely shown anymore (for good reason), I will always adore "The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson". "Homer at the Bat" and "Bart Star" are other favorites.

• Like 3

Here's a challenging one for you guys: What are some of your favorite post-S9 episodes? I guess this is where I confess that I own and absolutely love S16...well, most of it :)   

Hmm.  Fifteen favorites?

Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily
A Streetcar Named Marge
Lisa the Iconoclast
Kamp Krusty
Bart of Darkness
Homer at the Bat
A Fish Called Selma
Brother From Another Series
Treehouse of Horror (the first one)
Two Dozen and One Greyhounds
Burns' Heir

The Crepes of Wrath
The Boy Who Knew Too Much
Realty Bites
The Secret War of Lisa Simpson

Not in perfect order, but the first several in the list are definitely my all-time favorites.

Marge vs. Monorail (Simpson, Homer Simpson, He's the greatest guy in history. From the, town of Springfield, He's about to hit a chestnut tree. AAAAGH!)

I want these on my list also, but I ran out of slots, so I'm stealing them via quote. :)

As a rule, I love most of the first 10 seasons, and would have to agree that seasons five through about seven or eight would be the best string of seasons.  I'm also partial to most of the first dozen Treehouses, all of the Sideshow Bob episodes, and most of the musical episodes.  

What are some of your favorite post-S9 episodes?

Offhand, I'll say The Great Louse Detective and Hardly Kirk-ing.  But even the best of the later seasons wouldn't rank anywhere as high as most of the earlier seasons.

• Like 1

They aren't the best episodes ever, but I do have a fondness for a few in Season 11: Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner, Eight Misbehavin (if only for "Oh hallelujah, our problems are solved. We have banana bread.), The Mansion Family (which isn't that great of an episode, but Homer saying "Why Marge, I believe you are to scratch your ass with it" became a running joke between me and my brother), and Last Tap Dance in Springfield.

• Like 3

Season 13's Poppa's Got A Brand New Badge. Combine a Sopranos parody with a High Noon parody, throw in a great meta moment when Homer lists all the jobs he's had (to that point) and voilà: A semi-classic.

Season 18's 24 Minutes. Simply one of the best parodies the show has ever done. All you need to know is contained in the intel on Lisa Simpson: Loves Ponies, Hates Phonies.

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Like 3

My favorites tend to have relatively little in common, but I've noticed that I tend to be irrationally obsessed with Ned Flanders-centric episodes and how he and Homer care for each other deep down despite...well, everything. And, as noted, I also love all things Sideshow Bob :) Equally hard to explain is that I tend not to love most of the Marge-centric episodes. While I generally like Marge and appreciate her role in the family and all that, somehow the episodes in which she takes center stage tend not to do it for me. I also tend to be oddly meh on the Krusty-centric episodes. 

Edited by mstaken
  • Like 1

The Mansion Family (which isn't that great of an episode, but Homer saying "Why Marge, I believe you are to scratch your ass with it" became a running joke between me and my brother), and Last Tap Dance in Springfield.

Ha! I also like Homer's "LOOK HOW LOUD I HAVE TO YELL!"

Some of my post season 9 favorites are:

Boy Meets Curl- "Ice skating! A sport that encourages hand holding."

Gone Maggie Gone- "Why would you leave such a beautiful baby on my doorstep?" "Because she was fighting my dog and stealing my poison."

Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner?- "Only your father could take a part time job at a small town paper and end up the target for international assassins." And Homer's song about how much he loves food that ends with "I could even eat a baby deer, la la la la la la la la, who's that baby deer on the lawn out there..."  

The Great Wife Hope- "Where's your brother?" "I don't know. Chasing ducks, buries alive. He'll be missed. Let's go, I gotta go collect pine cones."

Dial 'N' For Nerder- "Oh my god- we're murders." "Hey- I was trying to help him. At worst I'm an accomplice." and "Learned that beneath my goody-two shoes lie some very dark socks."

We're On The Road To D'Oh Where- But only the very end where Lisa gets the calls from Marge and Homer both needing bail money and she tells Maggie she always knew it would boil down to just the two of them and she'd look for a job in the morning.

HOMR- Because I love the ones with heart most of all and watching Homer and Lisa bond- even for a short time was really sweet. Also "I was working on a flat tax proposal and accidentally proved there's no God." "We'll just see about that....maybe you made a mistake....nope. It's air tight."

Edited by Iboatedhere
  • Like 1

Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner?- "Only your father could take a part time job at a small town paper and end up the target for international assassins." And Homer's song about how much he loves food that ends with "I could even eat a baby deer, la la la la la la la la, who's that baby deer on the lawn out there..."

How could I forget about that one?  I love it when Lisa and Homer team up.  

Lisa :Dad!  It's low fat!

Homer: NOOOOOOOOO

• Like 1

"Only your father could take a part time job at a small town paper and end up the target for international assassins."

Second best quote: "Nobody talks to me that way! I'm Homer Simpson, the most powerful food critic in town, who will never get his comeuppance! You hear me, No comeuppance!"

• Like 1

I just finished rewatching S16 and am embarrassed by how much I loved it. I'm not quite far gone enough to argue that it's on par with S4-S9, but it has some episodes that I absolutely adore beyond what is reasonable and even a bunch of rewatch-worthy moments in the subpar ones. Midnight Rx, There's Something About Marrying, Goo Goo Gai Pan, Don't Fear the Roofer, The Father, The Son and The Holy Guest Star, and especially Home Away From Homer (have I mentioned my obsession with Flanders-centric episodes?!) are my favorites. They may not measure up to the halcyon earlier seasons, but I'd still rather rewatch them than the vast majority of non-Simpsons TV :) 

Now I'm up to S17. I'm somewhere between excited and fearful! 

Season 13's Poppa's Got A Brand New Badge. Combine a Sopranos parody with a High Noon parody, throw in a great meta moment when Homer lists all the jobs he's had (to that point) and voilà: A semi-classic.

That is a really strong episode. I need to watch it again, I can't believe it is 12 years old. There was also some really strong episodes in season 19 including Homer of Seville, Midnight Toyboy, Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind, E Plurbus Wiggum, The Debarted (the rat symbolizes obviousness),  and Dial N for Nerder.

A lot of the Halloween episodes, especially the older ones. One of my favorites, The Shinning :D.

Last year's episode left a lot to be desired, but some of the regular episodes were ok enough. Don't remember any of the names of them though :(.

• Like 1

My favorite episode not just of the Simpsons but of any sitcom period is A Fish Called Selma.  A whole episode of Troy McCLure and the late, great Phil Hartman.  A great parody of Hollywood has been B actors and their later lives.  One great line after another, scene after scene, inclduing "Gay!!!  I Wish!!"  and "Sure I love you, like I love Fresca, isnt that enough!"  And of course the great planet of the apes song.  What Simpsons fan can watch planet of the apes, or think of it, without thinking of that song?

• Like 5

What Simpsons fan can watch planet of the apes, or think of it, without thinking of that song?

I sure can't.

One of my favorites, The Shinning

"Urge to kill rising."

• Like 2

My favorite episode not just of the Simpsons but of any sitcom period is A Fish Called Selma.

When I left the movie theatre after seeing the 2001 version of Planet of the Apes, I could hear someone in the crowd singing "I hate every ape I see, from chimpan-a to chimpan-z".

Though, now that line of Selma's ""I'll always remember you, but not from your films." always gets to me. 

• Like 6

Post season 9, I have to give praise to season 12's "Trilogy of Error" (in addition to the ones already noted).  The intricately interlocking stories and timelines, the life and death of Linguo, and some classic Dr. Nick.

• Like 1

I love Trilogy of Error. I just deleted it to make room for the first part of the marathon. Homer's 'What the hell?!'  as he's throwing his thumb away and Linguo's head comes flying at him is my favorite.

Similar to Trilogy of Error, I enjoy season 17's "Seemingly Never-Ending Story" for the complexity of the plotting, even if the lines and jokes aren't nearly as memorable.

I just finished rewatching S16 and am embarrassed by how much I loved it. I'm not quite far gone enough to argue that it's on par with S4-S9, but it has some episodes that I absolutely adore beyond what is reasonable and even a bunch of rewatch-worthy moments in the subpar ones. Midnight Rx, There's Something About Marrying, Goo Goo Gai Pan, Don't Fear the Roofer, The Father, The Son and The Holy Guest Star, and especially Home Away From Homer (have I mentioned my obsession with Flanders-centric episodes?!) are my favorites. 

I love this episode. The Catholic Heaven and Protestant Heaven bit is probably ranks up there with the greatest fantasy sequences they have ever done  such as Land of Chocolate.

• Like 1

So many great songs! From "A Streetcar Named Marge": "You're a dame and I'm a fella"/"Stanley, stop, or I'll tell Stella!" "Monorail!" The Stonecutters' anthem. "I hate every ape I see/From chimpan-A to chimpanzee." And the whole score of the Shary Bobbins episode ("an original creation, like Ricky Rouse or Monald Muck").

I am thinking Cape Feare is my most favoritest.

"40 whacks with a wet noodle, Bart!"

"I checked around. The girls are calling you "fatty fat fat fat" and Nelson's planning to pull down your pants. But nobody's trying to kill ya."

"No that's German for "The Bart the"

"I think he's talking to you."

"Hello-o! Hello-o! You have my pills! Hello-o? I'm cold, and there are wolves after me."

• Like 2

I love this episode. The Catholic Heaven and Protestant Heaven bit is probably ranks up there with the greatest fantasy sequences they have ever done  such as Land of Chocolate.

Is that the one where the protestants are playing badminton? I just remembered that scene the other day and had to google it to find the episode so I could record it when the marathon hits it.

Is that the one where the protestants are playing badminton? I just remembered that scene the other day and had to google it to find the episode so I could record it when the marathon hits it.

I can't remember badminton, but I do remember croquet and it is totally country club type people. Catholic heaven is a massive party with Pinatas, Italian food and then everyone in Catholic heaven breaks into an Irish Riverdance.

• Like 2

I can't remember badminton, but I do remember croquet and it is totally country club type people. Catholic heaven is a massive party with Pinatas, Italian food and then everyone in Catholic heaven breaks into an Irish Riverdance.

I found a clip on the internet (they have the internet on computers now!) and it's what I was thinking of.

I don't know titles like you guys so my memories are more about segments within shows.  Thanks to you guys I know I like "Homer the Great" cause I take it that was the one where the conservatives were at their lodge singing "We do, we do."  (Patrick Stewart voiced a character in it didn't he?).

Also love all the musical parodies.  "Monorail!"

Also agree with the poster about Lisa becoming a vegetarian.  And more to the point, remaining one.  As a vegetarian myself it really really gets old all the anti-veggie jokes on every other show on TV so thanks, Simpsons, for being above that stuff. 

In the same vain I like the way they handle religion on the show.  Most shows avoid the topic like the plague.  But here it isn't reduced to a fundamentalists vs atheists thing but shows the there are tons more points of view then just those two.  I liked Lisa becoming a Buddhist.  I like that Ned tries to live up to his faith.  And as for the funny, I liked Organ Lady's rendition of In-A-Gada-Da-Vida (thanks, Bart).  And shout-out for reminder of the Catholic/Protestant heavens above.

I love baseball so I'm a pushover for anything regards my beloved Springfield Isotopes.  And when Lisa became the manager of Bart's Little League team and was reading Moneyball and all the sabermetrics manuals.

I agree above with people who are all in on the Sideshow Bob episodes.  Masterpieces.

I like the Mr Burns-centric episodes a lot.  The ultimate evil businessman manifested best in a cartoon show.  Great stuff.  I tend to like episodes that features secondary or tertiary characters I like alot like Mr Burns.  Anything with Sideshow Bob, Otto the Bus Driver, Big Tony and Lenny and Carl especially.

Weirdly one of my favorite segments wasn't humorous but really touching.  Up until this episode Barney was just the town drunk who burped and farted and fell face down and was made fun of.  But in this one I believe Lisa enters some independent film contest maybe and a surprise entry that wins (I think, again don't know the episodes like you guys) comes from Barny.  Suddenly he's as fleshed out as any real life character.  A sensitive soul who, you realize, probably became a drunk because he couldn't handle a world as cruel as ours.  It made me view people differently ever since.  Where can a show. let alone a cartoon show, have that kind of effect.

They did something similar over time with Nelson who goes from one dimensional bully to a kid living a hard scrabble life and hiding his fears and sadness through being a bully.  Slowly be becomes more human and more sympathetic.  Brilliant.

Gee sounds like my favorites aren't as funny as some.  But not true.  I guess I just ended up mentioning those episodes that tend to challenge the viewer's stereotypes of everything from religion to drunks and bullies.  But doing this with humor makes that challenge easier to get through to people with I believe.  So shout-out to all of that coupled with the laughs.  These writers are both brilliant and funny.  Kudos to them and their work over the years and to the regulars who voice 99% of the characters.

Edited by green
  • Like 2

One of my all-time favorites was "Homer vs the 18th Amendment" aka the Beer Baron episode.  I loved Homer facing off against that detective guy ("I'll find you yet Beer Baron!" "No you won't!" "Yes, I will!"  "Won't!").  And I especially love it for the part where Marge finds out about Homer's plan and instead of getting pissy about it (like she would these days) she's impressed that he came up with such a clever idea of smuggling beer and is more than fine with bending the rules.  I miss the old Marge who wasn't such a goody-goody all the time.

"Rosebud" is my favorite episode.  I haven't seen it in ages and was surprised that of the older episodes this was the one I always remembered...outside of Treehouse of Horror episodes.  I was overjoyed seeing it during the marathon.

Favorite moments...Smithers thinking of Mr. Burns popping out of a birthday cake.  And Bobo's travels.  

The first episode I ever saw was the one with Blinky the three-eyed fish.  It's still one of my favorites, and I enjoy when the fish has cameos in other episodes.

What was the episode in which Comic Book Guy steps out of his store, sees something disastrous (mushroom cloud?), and says "Oh, I've wasted my life"?

What was the episode in which Comic Book Guy steps out of his store, sees something disastrous (mushroom cloud?), and says "Oh, I've wasted my life"?

Treehouse of Horror VIII

• Like 2

In the same vain I like the way they handle religion on the show.  Most shows avoid the topic like the plague.  But here it isn't reduced to a fundamentalists vs atheists thing but shows the there are tons more points of view then just those two.  I liked Lisa becoming a Buddhist.  I like that Ned tries to live up to his faith.  And as for the funny, I liked Organ Lady's rendition of In-A-Gada-Da-Vida (thanks, Bart).  And shout-out for reminder of the Catholic/Protestant heavens above.

For a show that was attacked by the religous right when it first came out WAY back when, this show had done an amazing amount of shows about religion that are very fair and thought provoking.  In fact The Simpsons spend more time in church than I think any family on TV. 

In fact this is the strength of the show in general.  Not just on religion, but on all topics, they see equal oppurtunity for humor in all points of view. 

• Like 5

"Rosebud" is my favorite episode.  I haven't seen it in ages and was surprised that of the older episodes this was the one I always remembered...outside of Treehouse of Horror episodes.  I was overjoyed seeing it during the marathon.

Favorite moments...Smithers thinking of Mr. Burns popping out of a birthday cake.  And Bobo's travels.  

Oooooooh! A head bag! They're chock full of... heady goodness.

"Apu, you've got to start selling this for more than a dollar a bag. I lost four more men on this expedition!"

"If you can think of a cheaper way to get ice, I'd like to hear it."

[Mumuring]"Well, he's got us there."

The Sweetest Apu was on today and I think it's a solid episode.

I love the civil war reenactment:

"The battle was fought by the North, the South, and the East, keeping Springfield in, out of, and next to the union respectively."

"Hit with stick, hit with stick."

Marge guessing that Apu was having an affair and Homer's reaction:

"Apu is having an affair!"

"I know! Can you believe it, Manjula's just gonna die."

Mom and Pop Art:

"Le grill, what the hell is that?" 

I use Homer's exasperated "Why doesn't mine look like that?" a lot while I build toys for my nephew.

Homer's run and scream with the umbrella at the grill mess.

Mobile Homer:

Homer and the spiders. 

They Saved Lisa's Brain:

The group go to talk to Quimby after they've been kicked out of their gazebo (how many gazebos do you she-males need?) about enacting some change on the city. The feds bust in, Quimby freaks out and rides off on a horse onto a waiting plane and the horse parachutes out. 

Skinner: That was unexpected. 

• Like 1

"Natural Born Kissers" is a great episode, if only for the fact that it's just Homer and Marge realistically trying to spice up their marriage without getting into yet another fight.  And nothing will ever be funnier than Homer's naked butt streaking against the crystal wall of that church...

Well, except for maybe the gag in "Homer the Father" where Rod and Todd accidentally see Homer and Marge having through the window.  That had me laughing harder than I'd laughed for that show in a looooooooooooooooong time.

One of my favorite eps was the X-Files parody one, the Springfield Files. Seeing David and Gillian parody their characters made me laugh and Mr. Burns was priceless in it.

• Like 1

Pre Season 9 we love Homer's Barbershop Quartet. So many good things there, including a George Harrison cameo. Post season 9 it's the Regina Monologues where they go to England and create havoc. "Sorry Mr. Macbeth"

• Like 2

Pre Season 9 we love Homer's Barbershop Quartet. So many good things there, including a George Harrison cameo. Post season 9 it's the Regina Monologues where they go to England and create havoc. "Sorry Mr. Macbeth"

I love the Regina Monologues.  It cracks me up just thinking about it; there are so many good quotes:

"Press the brick in the back of the fireplace."

"OWWWW!"

"*sigh"....Put out the fire first!"

"Wow!  I can't believe we met Mr. Bean!"

"He rear-ended the friggen Queen!"

• Like 1

I love "El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer": it's got "the Merciless Peppers of Quetzlzacatenango" [thanks for the spelling assist, Wikipedia!] (grown deep in the jungle primeval by the inmates of a Guatemalan insane asylum), Marge's soulmate-worthy deduction of Homer's location, Bart eyeing Homer's silhouette and noting that it was either Homer, "or Batman had really let himself go," chilli boots, hot pants--I could go on all day. Plus, I stan for Johnny Cash, and his space coyote, er, I mean spirit guide, was hilarious. "What should I do? Should I get rid of all of my possessions? // If anything, you should get more possessions! You don't even have a computer!"

Also, "Duffless." I talk about the scene where Marge gives Homer the alcoholism quiz from the pamphlet all the time, but I swear it took me at least 5 watches of that episode before I could watch that scene without laughing so hard that I cried. "Do you hide beer around the house? // Do I!!" [fishes beer out of toilet tank]. Plus, the Kennedy-Nixon Duff commercial, Lisa's "That'll teach 'im to bust my tomat'r" and Bart going catatonic when Marge asks him to fetch the cupcakes. Comedy gold.

Edited by Peace 47

I love "El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer": it's got "the Merciless Peppers of Quetzlzacatenango" [thanks for the spelling assist, Wikipedia!] (grown deep in the jungle primeval by the inmates of a Guatemalan insane asylum), Marge's soulmate-worthy deduction of Homer's location, Bart eyeing Homer's silhouette and noting that it was either Homer, "or Batman had really let himself go," chilli boots, hot pants--I could go on all day. Plus, I stan for Johnny Cash, and his space coyote, er, I mean spirit guide, was hilarious. "What should I do? Should I get rid of all of my possessions? // If anything, you should get more possessions! You don't even have a computer!"

I love at the end where he says,"In your face, Space Coyote!"

• Like 1