Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ElectricBoogaloo

Wrap Battle

The official show description from Freefrom:

Gift wrapping is a legit art form, and that's why we've created the only (yes only) gift wrapping competition show, Wrap Battle, to celebrate it. You'll be inspired to up your holiday wrapping game watching host Sheryl Underwood and judges Carson Kressley and Wanda Wen search for America's top gift wrapper. So who is competing to be the best? Don't miss the premiere of Wrap Battle on Monday, November 25th at 9pm/8c, only on Freeform.

More info:

Wrap Battle is hosted by comedian Sheryl Underwood, who also serves as one of three judges. She is joined by Carson Kressley (Queer Eye) and Wana Wen, founder of the prestige paper company Soolip. The grand prize is $50,000, the chance to create a custom wrapping paper that will be sold at Paper Source, and the opportunity to be a featured wrapper at an upscale shopping mall called SoNo Collection in Connecticut. There will also be guest judges on select episodes.

Promo:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

S1.E1: Wrap Big or Wrap at Home

Nine talented gift wrappers compete to become the Wrap Battle Champion and win a grand prize worth $50,000.

Original air date: 11/25/19

I love my local homeboy Carson in anything. 

But this show needs to,  you know,  SHOW us more! I want to see more actual wrapping techniques,  not glue-gunning gummy bears or whatever!

E g., Nutcracker Bear we saw all wrapped up,  but how were the legs done?

Ah, well! I'll keep watching, because it's fun and fluff and Carson! Wrap him up!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

But this show needs to,  you know,  SHOW us more! I want to see more actual wrapping techniques,  not glue-gunning gummy bears or whatever!

I agree - I'm here for the actual wrapping, not decorating the wrapping!

• Like 3

I can't lie - I had to laugh at Anthony sitting on the rocket ship and fanning himself like he didn't have a care in the world while everyone else was frantically running around. Having the time to sit and plan for ten minutes might have been good so that he didn't just rush into the first idea that popped into his head.

One thing I don't like on reality shows is when the winner of the mini challenge gets to punish/penalize the other contestant(s). I'm fine with the winner getting a reward (like first dibs on whatever they're doing in the main challenge) but I don't like giving them the power to choose what other people are doing, taking stuff away from other contestants, etc.

I was fascinated by everyone having to wrap those huge awkwardly shaped gifts for the final challenge. How in the hell do you hide the fact that it's a bike or a playhouse? I wish they had given us longer shots of the finished wrapping too.

I liked the way Anita treated the wrapping paper on the playhouse as decoration. Leaving the windows open was a cute touch. The thing I didn't like was the filmy red bow she used on top of the roof which looked messy. I liked white she used at the bottom and the red she wrapped around the top, but that big red one on the roof seemed out of place. I wish she had either used white so it looked kind of like snow or just a big simple bow.

I was surprised that they let Mia get away with only using the brick paper on the top and red on the bottom. Don't they have access to whole rolls of paper?

Gigi came up with a creative way to cover the BBQ grill. Using different colored shards of paper was a fun way to make it look uniform without having to worry about lining things up. I felt she veered into messy territory with the foof she added. Those flowers (?) reminded of those tissue paper art projects from elementary school. But I definitely give her points for being colorful.

I loved the way Joe covered the wheels of his bicycle (and I liked the way he lined up the candy canes with the frame) but he only wrapped one half! What about the other sides of the two wheels? You can't wrap only half of a present! And I agreed with the judges about how unfinished it looked. He should have covered that whole section with beaded necklaces. Only covering a few inches made it look like he ran out of time.

I liked the idea that Anthony had, but I agreed with whichever judge said he should have used a more diaphanous fabric to create the clouds. I liked that he used blue and snowflakes on the non-rocket ship part.

I think Parker had the right idea thinking that the foosball table would be easier to wrap since it's rectangular, but what she did looked like it shouldn't have taken three hours. Using that light brown paper on the legs almost made it look like she hadn't wrapped them at all.

Eddie was ambitious to try to turn the weight bench into a wrapping station. I loved Carson's joke about the yarn looking like an Amish pleasuring device because seriously, what was Eddie thinking?

Like Carson and Wanda, I was skeptical when Kimberly said she was going to wrap the giant bear as a nutcracker, but she did a really good job.

I agreed with Carson when he said that he didn't understand why Olga was taking a green cactus and wrapping it with green. I didn't understand why Wanda was so enamored of it.

Congratulations to Kimberly for winning! I wasn't surprised that Parker was eliminated. Her forest themed foosball table was fine but unfinished and she had a less interesting concept.

S1.E2: Shopping Mall Wars

Wrappers team up to operate gift wrapping kiosks, each team try to out-hustle and out-wrap their competition; featuring guest judge Sherry Cola.

Original air date: 11/25/19

I totally cracked up when Joe said, "Ugh, kids are super basic. No taste." But I can't blame him for being annoyed that his status in this competition was dependent on what a bunch of kids had to say.

Honestly, I have no idea what kind of wrapping a kid would like because the kids I know just care about the present inside. Joe's colorful wrapping with curled ribbon and Eddie's gum drop wrapping seemed like they were bright and whimsical enough to appeal to kids. Kimberly kind of lost me when she said she wanted hers to appeal to "all kids who celebrate Christmas." What about all the non-Christian kids? I guess all of the Jewish kids or Hindu kids don't count.

Anthony's big yellow flower was pretty but it didn't look like something that most kids would like - until he mentioned pulling the petals to unwrap. Kids love making a mess! Olga's pom pom dog was so cute. And the tongue! Mia's was way too plain. She wrapped two boxes in glitter paper and ten glued some small toys to the outside. Anita's nutcracker tree did not look like something kids would like. Adults, yes, but not kids. Gigi's dinosaur wrapping looked like something kids would love. Between the fuzzy trim, the big glittery trees, and al the dinosaurs, I thought that kids would like it.

I totally cracked up when one of the kids voted for Olga's dog and said, "It looks like it was hard work." I had to agree with Wanda when she pointed out that Olga didn't actually wrap the box. If she had just thrown any paper around that box, it would have looked more finished.

It's a bit of an exaggeration to describe the Northridge mall as "southern California's premier shopping destination."

Olga making constant suggestions that were not really gift wrap related was a lot. FOCUS, GIRL. But she did a good job rounding up customers so she gets a high five for that. She was the perfect one to do that too. Her costumey outfit helped her stand out and made her look official (as opposed to some random person approaching you at the mall), she's attractive in a non-threatening way, and she was very friendly but assertive about the way she approached people and took them to the booth.

I thought it was rude of Eddie to describe her as a Christmas stripper. She was wearing long sleeves. She had a high neckline aka no cleavage showing. Her skirt was almost down to her knees aka an acceptable length at Catholic school. The only thing that was stripperish about her entire ensemble were her metallic gold platform shoes, but whatever. I also rolled my eyes when Eddie said it was rude of Olga to describe Joe as an elf because JOE HAS DESCRIBED HIMSELF AS AN ELF.

I was surprised that the red team was able to get so many people getting their presents wrapped (to the point where they were asking people to come back in an hour to pick up their wrapped gifts). The judges originally said they would take into account how many presents each team wrapped but I don't recall them mentioning any numbers later. I guess that means they were close enough that it didn't matter?

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Like 1

I detest every one of these assholes. That little bouffant-ed creep Joe can go ANY TIME. What a nasty little poser. 

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I thought it was rude of Eddie to describe her as a Christmas stripper. She was wearing long sleeves. She had a high neckline aka no cleavage showing. Her skirt was almost down to her knees aka an acceptable length at Catholic school. The only thing that was stripperish about her entire ensemble were her metallic gold platform shoes, but whatever. I also rolled my eyes when Eddie said it was rude of Olga to describe Joe as an elf because JOE HAS DESCRIBED HIMSELF AS AN ELF.

That was low. Everyone sure shed the sweetness and light fast. The only one I liked was Anthony, who of course had to be axed pronto. 

Don't mistake me, I'll be tuning in every week, to yell and throw things at the TV. My sole talent is for wrapping gifts so I'm hoping to pick up a few tips. But dear lord these people are going to do damage to my blood pressure. 

Kimberly was on that terrible show "Wickedly Perfect" years ago. She has not improved with the passage of time. 

• Laugh 2

3 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Don't mistake me, I'll be tuning in every week, to yell and throw things at the TV. My sole talent is for wrapping gifts so I'm hoping to pick up a few tips. But dear lord these people are going to do damage to my blood pressure.

You and me both, Pepper Mostly, you and me both. 

Who is that Eddie guy who said that he worked for Martha Stewart? I could swear he was on another competitive reality show, but I can't put my finger on it 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Kimberly was on that terrible show "Wickedly Perfect" years ago. She has not improved with the passage of time. 

I didn't watch that show, but I could tell from the moment she introduced herself in the first episode that I was not going to like her. Although she has made some accurate statements here and there, she still seems like a nightmare - exactly the kind of person I would not want to have to interact with in real life.

• Like 1

Me and my girlfriend watched the first two episodes of this show together. We've enjoyed watching it together, but personally, I don't think I'd manage to stay invested without her.

We both found Olga very grating. She got on my bad side with her bland wrapping of the cactus - she should have been in the naughty list for that, IMO.

I thought she was really catty in episode 2, though. Talking about how she thought she was the "real" winner of the swift gift challenge and that the other person didn't deserve it. Ma'am, you didn't even wrap your gift! And she was really dismissive of Mia in the team challenge, despite the fact that Mia does this for a living, and kept wasting the teams time with ideas that made no sense. I still don't understand what her galaxy idea was all about.

As for the Joe/Elf thing - I don't like Joe much either, but I think he was in the right. He was in the middle of working, and they were already behind on their wrapping IIRC. Olga, a member of the other team, decided to bring in a kid to their work station, without consulting them. Joe was then put in the position of "talk to the kid, lose precious time in the competition" or "ignore the kid and focus on the competition, but look like a total asshole".

But as much as I dislike Olga, I agree that the Christmas stripper thing was a low blow. 

Personally, I'm rooting for Gigi. 

On 11/27/2019 at 8:25 AM, OoogleEyes said:

You and me both, Pepper Mostly, you and me both. 

Who is that Eddie guy who said that he worked for Martha Stewart? I could swear he was on another competitive reality show, but I can't put my finger on it 

Same. He looks so familiar. 

On 11/27/2019 at 8:27 AM, Pepper Mostly said:

Now that you mention it he does look familiar!

https://eddieross.com/about

Top Design? I didn’t watch that though, so maybe he’s just generic? 

• Like 1

S1.E3: Skydiving Santa

Wrappers get a special delivery direct from the North Pole, then compete to deliver the freshest vacation-themed gift basket concept they can for Santa, with each basket representing a world-famous city; guest judge Lala Kent.

Original air date: 12/2/19

19 hours ago, blueroses said:

Top Design? I didn’t watch that though, so maybe he’s just generic? 

I remember Top Design--it was on AGES ago, though! Goil was the breakout star from that forgettable outing, he was on Trading Spaces for a season or two. He can't have done very well there, his bio didn't say anything like "came in third on Bravo's Top Design".

I laughed like a hyena when Olga brought the kid over to meet a "real elf"! That's some world class reality show bitchery there. Since everyone on this hot mess is angling for the "I'm not here to make friends" crown, I can't fault her. And Joe is such an insufferable ass. He cries all the damn time, for one thing. And he's furious that he's going to have to work for that Head Bitch in Charge designation. He thought he'd have it in the bag with no effort. HAHAHAHAHA

• Laugh 1

I'm so far not that impressed with the artistic talent of these contestants. I haven't seen any concept or execution that was a true light-bulb moment for me.

Still fun!

ETA: NOW I'm impressed! The examples of Japanese wrapping styles were beautiful! Origami is beyond me!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 2

GAWD, the showrunners opted for Maximum Bitchery Reality Show Tropes, hmm? Winners get to decide who gets a disadvantage, "who do you think should go home?", and rewarding the most obnoxious attention hogs. Mia clearly had to go, since she was no drama and likable.

Eddie is a nasty piece of work. His seething hatred for Kimberly is making me uncomfortable. It appears to be based on the fact that she has a child and actually talks about him. Yikes. And the way they all pile on Olga is disgusting. Joe is a dreadful, affected little twit. Rule one, do not bitch about what you are given to work with! Rule two, do not disrespect another culture by giggling about how hard it is to pronounce their words. "Furo.......what is it? giggle giggle" Yuck.

The judging is whack, too. Mia's was "too literal"? but Joe's, with goddamn pineapple and grass skirt on his Honolulu basket, was great? Eddie's Las Vegas gift, with fucking stripper shoes and dice, was the winner??

Olga went out like a lady and kudos to her, she was a little wacky but she seemed sweet. Well, except for the "meet an elf" trick, but now I think she was just being Olga. She's well rid of these jerks.

• Like 1

I just caught the first episode a few hours ago, so I'm not reading earlier posts in order to avoid getting spoiled.

I used to be a maniac gift wrapper, when I had lots of time to waste, so I couldn't not watch this.  So far I'm liking it--better than I liked season 1 of Making It (haven't seen the start of season 2 yet).

I recognized Eddie Ross from the Martha Stewart days, when it looked as if he was poised to be the next big thing in interior design.  I guess that didn't quite work out.  I'm prepared not to like him much this time around.

I hope this continues to be fun!

These people are horrible!

I know that US competitive reality shows pride themselves on their evil moustache twirlers, but they're all so OTT it's hard to watch.  

Edited by OoogleEyes
  • Like 1

Right? Eddie mocking Kimberly because she had the temerity to speak was repellent. She's not my cup of tea necessarily but Jesus I'm firmly in her corner now. These people are AWFUL. And Sheryl Underwood is so annoying I want to tear my hair out.  

The nastiness and cattiness of this bunch reminds me of that early aughts reality competition show with beauty queens and their mothers--the name of it has been mercifully expunged from my brain. But the people on the show were so unpleasant it was no fun to watch. 

• Like 2

I really don't understand Eddie's animosity towards Kimberly. He actually said, mocking Kimberly, "I could have bought an Hermès bag, but instead I bought a child." WHAT?!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Popples said:

I really don't understand Eddie's animosity towards Kimberly. He actually said, mocking Kimberly, "I could have bought an Hermès bag, but instead I bought a child." WHAT?!

That was just bizarre. I wish a child cost that little. He either grossly-over estimates the cost of a bag or isn’t paying for college right now.