Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Phantom

• Start Topic

Ray gets closer with Molly Sullivan when he realizes their family connection. Claudette comes to New York and discovers that Daryll is on Detective Perry’s radar. Bunchy tries to leverage his heroism for a pay raise. Bridget gets closer with her music producer boss, and Terry goes on a trip with his new spiritual guide.

Original airdate: 12/1/19

• Love 1

I loved episodes 1 and 2. And I hated this episode. It was so flawed it crossed over into making the entire unfolding plot preposterous and tiresome. 

1. How can Darryl produce the backstage pics with the star of that show that he claimed he had taken to prove he was there when he was not there and there are no pics?

2. Mickey has already been seen by Mac's wife and kid and Claudette saw him in the car from her window. Too many people now know he is alive and one will talk when questioned. And I think others saw him as well. 

I could go along with Ray killing so many people and never getting caught but this Mickey story line where he escapes death in that bus crash and is going to be framed for the cops' murders is too much of a stretch for me. Even Sandy is a joke. And what's with this Terry plot line? It just does not fit or make sense. 

This was one of my least favorite episodes of the entire series. It is just asinine at this point.  They are caricatures and maybe it is time for this show to end.

This episode as a stand alone piece was a total disaster. 

ETA: I hated the episode but it should have included the reactions of Bunchy and Terry and Bridget and Daryl and all of them when Mickey showed up alive. Why did they leave that out? 

Edited by DakotaLavender
added more text
  • Love 3

Ray is smart enough to know how to stage a crime scene (put Mickey's fingerprints on the door and gun, make a backdated receipt) but he's stupid enough to just let Mickey be seen all over town by multiple people in broad daylight? COME ON. He wasn't even trying to keep Mickey out of sight.

Come back, Lena! You're one of the only things that makes this show worth watching! Although I don't blame her for going back to LA. This was never supposed to be a permanent move to New York for her.

And OF COURSE Bridget kissed Adam. GROSS. I don't love Smitty or her marriage to him but if you don't want to be with your husband, then deal with that before you start making out with your boss who is twice as old as you are.

6 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

How can Darryl produce the backstage pics with the star of that show that he claimed he had taken to prove he was there when he was not there and there are no pics?

He didn't. He gave the detective a ticket stub and a signed backstage pass which he got from Ray who got it from Adam as a favor to Bridget.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

He didn't. He gave the detective a ticket stub and a signed backstage pass which he got from Ray who got it from Adam as a favor to Bridget.

But he had told her he also had pics. So I was thinking at another time she might ask for those backstage pics. 

That was a very long "Previously on Ray Donovan"!

Mickey flew out from the open door and didn't break a arm, leg or hip !!!!!!!????? That Guardian Angel was working overtime to save him from injury, escape and made sure the police forgot how to count!

Ray couldn't tell Amber the new plan over the phone?!

So the pictures were never in Ferrati's hands??? What kind of notorious politician is he? He should blame himself for this debacle, not Ray.

And now Ray will have get tangled with him again for giving it to Molly (good grief). Just leave the business Ray! You still have a chance to be a veterinarian.

Did the Sullivans know it was Ferrati that hired Ray? If so, shouldn't Molly have gone to him first instead of Ray?

Ray wants to be good but can't shake Lena's hand or give her a proper goodbye? He has bad manners... couldn't even say hi to Claudette.

Bunchy asking for a raise! LOL!!!!!

Enters the shaman in a "white outfit" to help Terry and he didn't ask him for a down payment at the start (he's a pro)!

When Sandy starts the phone call with "I was sucking off one my johns......", how does the operator not hang up the phone?

Adam saying JWH (?) is really talented was the shock of the episode! 

Liberty has a good throwing arm (with the pills), maybe she can teach my NY Mets how to throw.

Mickey's lines: "It was strange choice to buy an eternal flame for someone who burned to death" and "you're not exactly meeting me at my best, darling" were funny!

Mickey: Tell him I won't be a problem Bunch.

Bunchy: You're always a fuckin' problem.

if I were Mickey, I'd be grateful to leave!

The detective is outside Darryl's apartment and couldn't ask for him to go upstairs to get the pass and tickets? 

The detective can't take orders and take the "win"?

Edited by mxc90
1 hour ago, DakotaLavender said:

But he had told her he also had pics. So I was thinking at another time she might ask for those backstage pics. 

Darryl didn’t say that he had pictures. He initially told her that he met Jonathan and his manager Adam backstage. The detective then told him that he needed to provide ticket stubs, receipts for the tickets, or selfies from when they went backstage.

Later when she came back to tell him about the tips they had received pointing them toward Mickey, he gave her the ticket and autographed backstage pass he got from Ray. He didn’t give her any pictures at the time and she didn’t ask for them (but she did keep the ticket and pass).

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

She asked him for pics to put the screws to him and he responded that he had pics. But, he only gave her the stub and back stage pass. Later on, she's taken off the case b/c enough evidence was planted to show (dead) Mickey was the killer. (ElectricBoogaloo just said that above.) My problem wasn't Darryl saying that he had pics, it was embellishing a conversation he supposedly had w/ teen idol asshole. Like this kid could ever keep a story straight in the first place, and, if something pissed him off, he would either deny they were there that night or say he hates dogs and has never had a middle-aged black male fan. 

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Come back, Lena! You're one of the only things that makes this show worth watching! Although I don't blame her for going back to LA. This was never supposed to be a permanent move to New York for her.

I hope she at least comes back for the season (series?) finale. Oh, Lena, I think I'm going to miss you most of all. 

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

And OF COURSE Bridget kissed Adam. GROSS. I don't love Smitty or her marriage to him but if you don't want to be with your husband, then deal with that before you start making out with your boss who is twice as old as you are.

Bridge, what did Lena tell you? Do not get involved w/ your boss. Admittedly she said this ... the freaking day before! Of course you'd forget after so much time passed. 

3 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Liberty has a good throwing arm (with the pills), maybe she can teach my NY Mets how to throw.

Ouch. Too soon. Let me dream this offseason until they come back w/o having solved any of their problems. 

Random thoughts:

• New drinking game: take a sip every time someone says "Shah" as an affirmative response.
  • When you're Ray Donovan, there's always street parking right in front of wherever you're going.  You don't even have to back in.
  • When you're Ray Donovan's brother, you can ride in convertibles with the top down and the wind doesn't ruffle anyone's hair.
  • When you're Ray Donovan's daughter, you not only randomly know the names of bands that were popular decades before you were born, but you recognize the chord progression of and know the words to their songs.

This show's gone off in an "interesting" direction, what with Ayahuasca and therapy and bringing Mickey back from the dead just to send him off to the Maldives (yeah, right; he's gone for good).  At this point, I'm kind of watching due to inertia; next stop, Hate Watching Town .  

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 1

Ray takes Mickey around with the bloodied face in broad daylight.  How is his Matin O’Dea cover going to work that way?

Ray softens up for Molly Sullivan, who was a little girl in the neighborhood that his dead sister Bridget used to babysit.  Bridget used to tell Molly how great Ray was.

So Ray and Molly will bang.

Bunchy finds out his heroics mean nothing.  He might as well go to the Maldives too — how the hell did they choose that destination?

Terry gets sucked more into the cult.  What is their angle?  Terry is a middle aged guy without any money — he was playing fight club for scraps.  Looks like he’s going to get a piece of Liberty too.

Daryl gave too much information on his alibi.  Should have said his family had the tickets so he went along to see a teen idol.

• Love 1

Odds are extremely good that Mickey will have a hard time staying "dead." Ray needs to send him to somewhere like Siberia.

Heh, the detective knew to go after the weakest link, Daryll. Meanwhile, Sheryl Lee Ralph still looks fantastic. Melanin FTW.

Poor Terry, getting taken in by that shaman quack and his cult. Ray is gonna destroy all of them when he finds out, especially if they've taken any of Terry's money or property. If the cult recruits dying people and throws away their medications I wonder if it's some kind of life insurance scam?

I'm thinking Claudette might become a problem. She won't let Daryll take the fall for the rest of the Donovans if push comes to shove.

Ugh, wanting to draw a real kid into that sordid blackmail scheme? Felt like a line was being crossed that even Ray's conscience couldn't handle.

how the hell did they choose that destination?

No extradition treaty with the US. A criminal high-tailing it to the Maldives was a plot point on The Young and the Restless just last week, hah, hah.

• LOL 1
13 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

When you're Ray Donovan's daughter, you not only randomly know the names of bands that were popular decades before you were born, but you recognize the chord progression of and know the words to their songs.

To be fair, if you're into music, that's not a stretch. One of my cousins is a few years older than Bridget and he can play Beatles songs on the guitar and sing along. Another one of my friends in high school was the same way. He could play a lot of older songs and he knew all the words.

13 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

My problem wasn't Darryl saying that he had pics, it was embellishing a conversation he supposedly had w/ teen idol asshole. Like this kid could ever keep a story straight in the first place, and, if something pissed him off, he would either deny they were there that night or say he hates dogs and has never had a middle-aged black male fan. 

I remember a professor talking about how when people lie, they often go into way much detail instead of keeping it simple. The only good thing about Darryl's lies were that the conversation he said they had about baseball was generic enough that it's plausible. If he said something super specific then Jonathan would be more likely to say, "No, I definitely would have remembered if someone told me that they saw a camel dyed electric blue." As for liking dogs, Darryl knew that the detective was looking into this (which is why he already had the alibi about going to the show) so I'm assuming/hoping that he got the "Jonathan likes dogs" tidbit from an interview or just googling.

I don't think the Donovans need to worry too much about Jonathan not remembering them. When you're selling out venues like Madison Square Garden (which seats over 20K people) and doing meet and greets, you say hi to A LOT of people and you sign A LOT of autographs. I don't think anyone expects someone on that level to remember every single person they interacted with before/after a show. If you asked Taylor Swift, "Hey do you remember meeting this one random person backstage at a show during last year's tour?" no one would expect her to remember. And the Donovans have Adam in their corner so I'm guessing if Bridget bats her eyes at him and asks him to say he met them backstage, he will tell the police that they were there.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, scrb said:

So Ray and Molly will bang.

Obviously.

I'm so glad we got to hear Bridget sing again.  And yes, I'm sure Mickey is going to have a contented retirement in the Maldives.

Aunt Sandy is just the gift that keeps on giving though.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 12/2/2019 at 7:03 AM, TexasGal said:

Obviously.

I'm so glad we got to hear Bridget sing again.  And yes, I'm sure Mickey is going to have a contented retirement in the Maldives.

Aunt Sandy is just the gift that keeps on giving though.

I really liked her singing that song. One of my favorite ear worms. It really made me like her character because I didn’t before, when Abby was there. 

Sorry to see Lena go. She offered a great base to the storylines. 

I wish they wrote more plots like the first ones.

And Mickey... you just know he will rise to his infamy again before long.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, Dminches said:

Why did the mayor want to frame Sullivan?  I can’t remember.

He wants to build a children's hospital with his name on it as his legacy. Sullivan has the money but wasn't interested in donating the funds. Ergo, blackmail photos. 

• Useful 1
On 12/1/2019 at 10:27 AM, Lone Wolf said:
  • New drinking game: take a sip every time someone says "Shah" as an affirmative response.

You'd be blind drunk before the end of the first act.

Two drinks every time Mickey says "fah leaf."