Type keyword(s) to search

The Haves And The Have Nots - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I can't believe it but this show is getting worse.  I can't even hatewatch anymore.  Veronica in the hotel hallway for the whole episode threatening the entire staff with unemployment?  A five minute scene with Jim and his captor repeating the same thing over and over again?

Two episodes and no Katheryn?  I'm out.

• Love 1

sugarbaker,

I'm telling you....now that I know I'm watching just to tear it apart, just to see how bad it cane be -- and NOT expecting anything but the worst...it's changed my viewing of the show. It allows me to watch just to snark. So I just shake my head and not get upset. There are no expectations so I can't be disappointed.

(Also, toward the end of last season I had not watched the last two shows, and didn't watch this season's premiere, really. So that probably gave me enough of a break that I could return with a new attitude about the show. I HAD to do something. It was either that or have high BP and angina every week, and it made no sense to do that to myself. I refuse to watch a show that angers me. That's just silly. This new POV works!

(That plus I admit I watch at work and don't have many channels to choose from, AND CNBC's The Profit is on hiatus, so I forgot to watch Shark Tank, and I usually forget to channel surf to see what else was on. IF I'd found something better I wouldn't have watched. This week it just so happens that I watched)

• Love 1

I know this show is dreadful but I can't stop watching it, don't know how ANYONE it seriously. But some people do. Before Tyler Perry came along with HAHN & Love Thy Neighbor, OWN was struggling. Now the network is doing pretty good. If this show wasn't so bad, I don't think it would be so good. I know that's contradictory- but I think people that watch this show understand what I mean.

How about when Amanda stabbed that Professor in the back & he ran away with the knife sticking out of his back? Or when Jim got that last text from Candice & walked outside. Before you saw the many (many) men come out of nowhere, all you heard was many (many) shoes hitting the pavement. It sounded like a stampede! Then there's Benny's miraculous recovery. (Praise Jesus!!) I could go on but these are just a few things that were so ridiculous, I had to laugh. Can't forget about Jims cell phone. For some reason, he STILL has text messages from when he & Celine were making a baby. How much room does that phone have anyway & why is Jim too dumb to delete messages?

There are some things that really get on my nerves though. If I have to hear Jim or David say, "I'll handle it" one more time, I'm gonna scream. They're not handling anything!

Also- Benny was such an innocent, kinda quiet, sweet kid. Then he got hit by a car and became a loud, perverted jackass.

I really hate Veronica. I hate the actor that plays Veronica! Why couldn't Amanda have shot her?! Of all the crappy in this show, I like Katheryn. If she's been shot dead, that will probably what makes me stop watching. Maybe....

• Love 1

I know this show is dreadful but I can't stop watching it, don't know how ANYONE it seriously. But some people do. Before Tyler Perry came along with HAHN & Love Thy Neighbor, OWN was struggling. Now the network is doing pretty good. If this show wasn't so bad, I don't think it would be so good. I know that's contradictory- but I think people that watch this show understand what I mean.

How about when Amanda stabbed that Professor in the back & he ran away with the knife sticking out of his back? Or when Jim got that last text from Candice & walked outside. Before you saw the many (many) men come out of nowhere, all you heard was many (many) shoes hitting the pavement. It sounded like a stampede! Then there's Benny's miraculous recovery. (Praise Jesus!!) I could go on but these are just a few things that were so ridiculous, I had to laugh. Can't forget about Jims cell phone. For some reason, he STILL has text messages from when he & Celine were making a baby. How much room does that phone have anyway & why is Jim too dumb to delete messages?

There are some things that really get on my nerves though. If I have to hear Jim or David say, "I'll handle it" one more time, I'm gonna scream. They're not handling anything!

Also- Benny was such an innocent, kinda quiet, sweet kid. Then he got hit by a car and became a loud, perverted jackass.

I really hate Veronica. I hate the actor that plays Veronica! Why couldn't Amanda have shot her?! Of all the crappy in this show, I like Katheryn. If she's been shot dead, that will probably what makes me stop watching. Maybe....

See, this ish right here.  Here is this "Federal" Judge and he hasnt gotten a new phone in 20+ years???  What does he have?  That giant cell phone that was the size of a shoe box?  We weren't even texting then dummy!

Tyler puhleeze.

Edited by Brooklynista

Wow... this show. This show is terrible.

I can't believe this crap is saving OWN. The dialogue blows. All the repeated questions and answers that are supposed to serve as intense emoting. Just ridiculous.

• Love 1

Now that I was able to get somewhere with cable and watch last week's episode: I couldn't help watching Candace torturing Jim (after his endless "let me go" conversation with Warlock) and thinking "Once again, girl, you started this."  It was funny, but that particular bitter taste wouldn't go away.

Tonight's episode, at least, was mostly pleasant in its randomness.  If a little confusing in spots--I'm still not sure what the point of the whole scene with Wyatt and Celine was, even factoring in my crush on Eva Tamargo (39 episodes and the first person to declare that she's hot was drunk--figures).  OTOH, it was primarily about Veronica indeed flying her crazy-bitch flag at full mast and Benny the post-coma meathead and Hanna getting her groove back courtesy of Michael and a slow jam in the background...and then it all got eclipsed, IMO, by that split-second shot of Katheryn in the preview for next week's episode...

Tonight's episode, at least, was mostly pleasant in its randomness.  If a little confusing in spots--I'm still not sure what the point of the whole scene with Wyatt and Celine was, even factoring in my crush on Eva Tamargo (39 episodes and the first person to declare that she's hot was drunk--figures).

I share the Eva Tamargo crush, from her days on Passions. It's good to see her have something to do, although it was pretty unpleasant. Didn't they just do an attempted rape scene with Veronica? I mean, jeez.

Speaking of Veronica: Worst. Mom. Ever. Benny's coma awaken his inner bully. I don't care if Hanna has sex. And I hope Candace torturing Jim is supposed to be kind of funny, because it is.

Decent episode.

• Love 2

I'll admit it - I giggled like a schoolgirl while Candy Cane tortured Jimmy wit the "electronics"....He sounded so pathetic everytime he got shocked.....FF'd thru Hanna gettin' some...'bout time is all I have to say...

Next bitchfight: Ronnie and Candy......need to have a bottle of wine on hand for my further enjoyment cuz I KNOW it's gonna rock.....and I wanna see some wigs flyin thru the air as well...

Last night was kind heavy on the sexual assualt. Candace,  just because Jim has an erection doesn't mean it's consenual or he's enjoying it. Then there was Wyatt and Seline in that uncomfortable scene that went on far too long-- kinda like every other scene on this show. Even Hannah and Michael were treading a fineline.  Although I did get a laugh out how much Michael put on the Batman growl when he was trying to  seduce Hannah.

The only bright spot for me was the return of the work wig. I missed Shroomy! I also like how we got a lesson on gift taxes. I got a feeling that extra clunky bit of dialogue was inspired by a familly member bothering TP for money. 

And it's not a "love to hate" type situation, I just hate Veronica.Evil and irrational.  I thought we where thisclose to a "smell yo dick" moment with her and David. And even though he's really pretty to look at, I could do without Benny too. Such a meathead last night. Well, we don't have to get rid of him. Just give him some sort of medical condition that puts him back in a coma and requires him to remain shirtless.

• Love 5

"Shroomy."  So, so true.

And while I totally agree with Veronica being a hate-to-hate character due to her...everything...I still contend that that possibly makes Angela Robinson one of the best actors on this fakakta show (along with, yup, Peter Parros).

So I had no idea that having thousands of kilowatts of electricity coursing through your body is no deterrent to emphatically making demands for your torturer to "stop it" because "that hurts".

To be fair it was just a car battery charger/jumper, but yeah--this is why I continue to say that this show is basically a dour Passions for black folks.  It has the same type of fucked-up sensibilities.  :)

Courtesy of last night's episode: if you were being held hostage and tortured (let alone photographed in compromising S&M-ish positions) by somebody who wanted you to give them money, would you actually use the concept of gift taxes as a point of contention as to why you can't give them money?

"Shroomy."  So, so true.

And while I totally agree with Veronica being a hate-to-hate character due to her...everything...I still contend that that possibly makes Angela Robinson one of the best actors on this fakakta show (along with, yup, Peter Parros).

To be fair it was just a car battery charger/jumper, but yeah--this is why I continue to say that this show is basically a dour Passions for black folks.  It has the same type of fucked-up sensibilities.  :)

Hahaha, ok my bad. I was exaggerating a little about the kilowatts. BUT, Big Jim was flopping around like the voltage was about to light him up. I guess car batteries have multiple uses down in the dungeon of fun & torture.

I can only watch at work, and I was off.

OMG. PLEASE tell me that is not for real!!!

(I'm literally laughing out loud.)

That really is the kind of thing that gets to to ask myself -- IS IT really funny, or is it SAD?

In my mind, it's not nice to laugh at something that's bad and unfortunate as this show is. Some how it's not right to laugh at it. It's THAT pathetic. No other pathetic situation or incident would I find funny. I'd find it too sad to laugh at and make light of.

• Love 1
IS IT really funny, or is it SAD?

Sad.  I watched last night for the return of Hannah's work wig, what I got was a scene with Celine and Wyatt that was the same 3 lines over and over again for 7 minutes.  That was excrutiating.  

This show alleges to be a soap, yet it's been on 3 seasons and we still have yet to get a romance.  I mean a romance, not Jim ordering Candace on line for a hook-up.  Last night we got romance with Hannah and Grandpappyofgirlwhogotkilled.  It's a start.

I really don't want a romance on this show....

The DRAMA is soooo bad. I "literally" don't think I could take TP effing up a romance to this extent.

You think bad DRAMA is excruciating.....try a bad love story. Absolutely INsuffurable.

What we've got is bad enough...please don't give him any ideas...:)

• Love 1

This week:

Number of minutes into the season before Amanda was finally discovered: 241

Yup, at the very end of the episode.  If this was any other, or at least a better, show...and that includes Passions...there might have been the chance for a swerve of some sort there, implausible as it might be.  With this show, though?  Hell no.

On the other hand, we actually got three intentional comedy bits this week.  One was Benny the Meathead walking in on and thus cockblocking Hanna and Michael (and of course the morning after he's all "ain't nobody want to see that!" about the whole thing and talking about laying Michael's ass out).  The other two were via Katheryn: her almost literally fangirling to Hanna over how Quincy beat Jim down, and finding Quincy kind of hot (which appalled Hanna to no end) and her car's voice-activated cellphone system: "Call 'the bastard.'"

The fourth, unintentional, bit of comedy was courtesy Wyatt's ongoing minor meltdown over both the revelation about Jim's infidelities and his own demons--which led him to rebel against, and later yell at, Katheryn (who conveniently had taken a sleeping pill after the season-ending party, and thus never heard Amanda's gunshot) and faintly Celine.  And while I like both Renee Lawless and Aaron O'Connell, this was just clunkily executed.

Meanwhile, Candace (after insisting to Jeffery that he finally put Veronica in her place, since she guessed that Veronica wouldn't actually use whatever she was holding over his head for blackmail against him--girl, do you know Veronica?) headed back over to Warlock's hideaway.  And, after nearly getting choked out, she got Jim to sign his blackmail documents o' doom and authorize a wire transfer of $7.4M dollars...right before a quiet powwow with Warlock where she alternately declared that she was going to "live it up in his face" rather than just sensibly GTFO with her gains and that Jim would likely have to die.  I don't even care about this story at this point.  I think the gift tax interlude last week killed it for me.

Oh, and Melissa showed up at Jeffery's to do another full-court press on getting him into bed...and she repeated almost verbatim something Veronica said back in S1/S2 about how all he (she) needed to do was have sex over and over until it became comfortable.  And I think Jeffery's warning radar finally pinged.

1) So I guess Jim is going to get showered and put a suit on justintime to make it to the press conference -- will he look OK or look like hell?

2) TP had Benny come back from the dead and his personality change for the worse -- so why can't Amanda come back and be cured from being bi-polar? The bullet could have missed vital brain quadrants.

3) Wasn't Wyatt at home when the shot was fired? I suppose he was in a drunken stupor and ALSO didn't hear it.

4) I sooo wanted Maggie to kick Veronica's ass and say, "look, bitch, I din't sleep with your husband OK. Because HE wouldn't. THAT"S how good man you have. Bitch. So back the fuhck up."

5) Is Veronica supposed to be a pill addict or psychotic. She wants her own son beat up? Good heavens. MAYBE with his mom blaming him for her troubles -- Jeffrey will FINALLY take it to her. I'm through with him being a door mat. 

6) LOVED the dialog between Candace and Veronica. THAT was something.

7) Tired exchanges:

-- Celine and hannah's exchange of what are ou doing here, you stay out my way, No what are YOU doing here, you stay out of MY way. 

-- David and Maggie

-- Hannah and Michael, PLEASE Lord DO NOT make them a couple. I do NOT want a romance on this show.

8) How is it possible Jim is running for governor and NO ONE knows where he is the morning of his announcement? It's ridiculous. But when you have no security and a have dozen thugs can just snatch you from your driveway I suppose it could happen, right?

Edited by selhars

My question is why in the HELL is Hannah getting Amanda's BLOOD all over HER, the furniture, and even the dam DOOR?

Wyatt sucked down TWO bottles of scotch - why isn't he in a COMA about now?

Thristy-girl needs to go home and play with her dolls....Jeffrey needs to grow a pair for Christ's sake....

I want a car-phone that will allow me to "Call the Bastard" too! Where you get those at?

Hope Jimmy washed off all that "liquid" he wasted on himself.....and he probably still smells even after the shower...Where did he put his clothes when he got into it?

Which "limited collection" did Hannah get that new work-wig from? Work-Wigs USA?

• Love 1

Oh Hanna, sex is not some dirty, disgusing thing that you have to get on your knees and ask the lord to forgive you for even thinking about doing it. You did have two kids out of wedlock. . You know you wanted it , and you wanted it bad so get over yourself.

Can't help it, I love Kathryn. Glad she wasn't the one laying in a pool of blood.

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 1

Amanda killing herself does put a button on the whole Professor Rapist tale, as I noted a while back, but I'm wondering if she left some kind of note behind just to keep that storyline going.  That said I'm glad it was her and not Katheryn too, though I'll kind of miss the Pretty.

As for Hanna...it's Hanna.  If anything I'm just glad her inevitable oh lawd-ing over the whole thing was counterbalanced by Michael going "I'm not even sorry I almost got to there, and as God is my witness I will get there."

3) Wasn't Wyatt at home when the shot was fired? I suppose he was in a drunken stupor and ALSO didn't hear it.

Actually, the gunshot woke him up in the season opener.  The drunken stupor came later, after he found Jim's phone on the front stoop.

4) I sooo wanted Maggie to kick Veronica's ass and say, "look, bitch, I din't sleep with your husband OK. Because HE wouldn't. THAT"S how good man you have. Bitch. So back the fuhck up."

I would actually give the show props if they went there a la Michael/Hanna.  Maggie's alluded to David being too good for his wife to him, but I need her to go ahead and say it to Queen Bitch Veronica's face.  "Mrs. Harrington...I wanted to sleep with your husband, and I still do...but for some reason he still loves you and wanted to remain faithful to you.  But you're really going to lose that man--a really good man--if you don't figure this shit out."

• Love 2

Actually, the gunshot woke him up in the season opener.

That wasn't a gunshot in the distance it was in the same house on the same floor, just feet away.

Did he go check on anyone at all? or shrug it off not really knowing what it was? (even though it was right across the hall)

Or did he look in on Amanda and think she was sleeping? (Yeah right, Tyler)

Edited by selhars

I think Wyatt opened up both Amanda and Katherine's bedroom doors and looked in on them.  He didn't actually go into the room, but he did open the doors.  He also opened the front door and found Jim's phone, which has no password, even though he's a judge.

I want a car-phone that will allow me to "Call the Bastard" too! Where you get those at?

Katherine has Jim listed programmed as "The Bastard" in her contact list.  You too can list people you don't like under crappy names.  Got a cheap cousin that's always trying to get you to pay for stuff: Cheapo. 

• Love 1

I really liked Katheryn's closet/dressing room. Have we seen that set before?

Was that a zipper on the back of Wyatt's shirt or top-stitching? Seemed oddly effeminate, NTTAWWT.

Number of minutes into the season before Amanda was finally discovered: 241

It was unclear to me whether it was the regular actress or a body double. Maybe there was an availability issue and they had to delay the scene. I hope the actress been able to move on to better work.

Oh, and Melissa showed up at Jeffery's to do another full-court press on getting him into bed

A scene in which we were treated to the jaw-dropping line, "Two people have to like each other in order to have sex." Is that supposed to be an example of how much of a naif Jeffrey is because if not, yikes.

Amanda killing herself does put a button on the whole Professor Rapist tale, as I noted a while back, but I'm wondering if she left some kind of note behind just to keep that storyline going. 

Yeah, I'm wondering if we'll ever find out whether she was pregnant or not. That comedy of errors with the home pregnancy tests didn't really pay off.

"I'm not even sorry I almost got to there, and as God is my witness I will get there."

Hmmm, mixed feelings over here. That scene was kinda rapey, IMO, and then Benny's c-blocking just upped the ickiness. He's got huge boundary issues and the way Hannah practically smothers him doesn't help . In fact, Benny and Jeffrey and Wyatt should probably get together a form a support group for men who can't quite get that umbilical cord to stay detached.

So Amanda is dead, right? I mean she's been bleeding out for 241 minutes. ...

Actually I'll miss her pretty, crazy tush. Wyatt would have been my choice to swallow a bullet, then Katherine and Jim could find a way to help Amanda get away with killing someone, just like they did with Wyatt. Would have been fitting.

Glad Hanna didn't have sex, we wouldn't have heard the end of it. Warlord has to be the most reasonable hoodlum ever. In the last several episodes Veronica has apparently sent one person to beat up her son and another to have sex with him. Lady is Effed up.

I'll make my call now, because it would be crazy fitting: Candace blackmails Veronica by drugging her and tossing her in bed with ... another woman. I could see that being Candi's type of revenge.

This week:

Amanda's death and presumed suicide continues to be an ancillary plot point, since it was only addressed at the beginning of this episode (punctuated by some ugly crying faces on Wyatt's part and Hanna looking shellshocked) and the very end (where Renee Lawless kind of stole the show with Katheryn's reaction to it).  The odd, or at least oddly executed, part is that Hanna called 911 at the beginning and, somewhere offscreen, the media somehow found out that Amanda was dead and reported it at the end.  That really needed to be shown, if just as a background element or so on.

In between, three things happened.  The first is that Candace indeed got her $7.4M payoff from Jim and let him go--with a bus pass.  She then promptly lied to Warlock about how much she got--she underdeclared by about, oh, $7M--and got herself a room at the Sarandon Hotel before going shopping like Teresa frigging Giudice.  Benny showed up at the end of this to disapprove of it all, though still in the dark about where Candace got her money from.  Jim actually was allowed to leave Warlock's hideout, and did get on a bus--after being randomly death-glared out into the Atlantic by a perpetually pissed-looking black guy.

Benny also got his own story after a dozen episodes, when he ran into a fellow tow-truck driver who told him that the major towing business in the area had been seized and shut down by the Feds (I saw a couple of comments elsewhere referencing one Apollo Nida, but I'm not sure what that has to do with this).  Said friend and a couple of others are apparently trying to put together a $500k bid for the business's assets, and he wanted Benny to come in on it with $125k of his own money.

And Landon tried to use Jim's absence to embarrass the endlessly bitchy Veronica over gay rights by setting up an impromptu press conference for David and her (with Jeffery and Melissa as window dressing), using a reporter friend as a loaded gun.  Veronica spun that shit like Rumpelstiltskin in the name of "all people should be equal," pretty much right in his face--complete with epic smug face--right before telling him he was fired.  Which, unfortunately, David reiterated (this happened right before Amanda's death hit the media, though, so Maggie might be going to bat for him later).  Landon's near-parting shot, therefore, was to lay a liplock on Jeffery right in front of Melissa--who actually looked rather surprised at it, which probably alludes to what she was likely told about her would-be boyfriend--and declare to her, even over Jeffery saying he didn't enjoy it, that "he's gay, girl.  He's gay."

• Love 1

Wow! I actually thought this was a pretty good episode!

Jim having to take the bus!

The press conference, Veronica really pulled it off, didn't she? That was some tense stuff. 

Oh, and in case anybody didn't know, Jeffrey is gay. 

Edited by bichonblitz

Ronnie is gonna make Landon pay for what he did....You just watch and see.....She did pull off that press conference though...

Wonder if err'body still running around with Amanda's blood all over the place?

Jim at the bus stop.....BWAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

How Candace spend up so much loot so fast? And when War (what a stupid name) finds out how much she really has, he's gonna "set her free" I bet...

Landon's near-parting shot, therefore, was to lay a liplock on Jeffery right in front of Melissa--who actually looked rather surprised at it, which probably alludes to what she was likely told about her would-be boyfriend--and declare to her, even over Jeffery saying he didn't enjoy it, that "he's gay, girl.  He's gay."

I can't imagine that Melissa doesn't know about Jeffery. Otherwise, did Ronnie just tell her that Jeffery was really shy or something (and a virgin)? Whatever, I don't know why she and Jeffery were standing up on the stage during the press conference. It's not like Jeff is a little kid, even though his mommy treats him like one. Plus, Melissa is barely his "girlfriend", as opposed to fiancee or wife, so why would she be given family status? I'm looking forward to this whole charade blowing up in Veronica's face.

Hopefully Candace will be able to stop buying $20k dresses long enough to give Benny the money he needs for that business deal. In fact, she's got enough to just buy the whole thing and cut out his pals altogether. Meanwhile, I wonder how she's going to explain to the IRS how she's suddenly got so much money to spend. She'll have to find a way to launder that cash and Benny's new and improved tow truck business might be the way to do it.

This wasn't a bad episode. TP has at least figured out how to build up some suspense.

RIP Amanda. I hope Candace does the right thing on one account and tells Jim and Katherine about Professor Rapey. I want him to face his comeuppance.

I thought the ending was really done well. Katherine was heart breaking and TP did do a nice job on building the suspense, with the dueling phone calls and then the news announcement. 

Actor who plays Wyatt has not mastered the "wail in anguish" acting moment. Really bad. Celine and Hanna were more believable.

Bus Stop Jim was funny. Landon is stupid to risk his whole career for that moment, and it didn't work. I don't know is Melissa knew Jeffrey is gay, but she's clearly a plant for Veronica.

With this tragedy, will Jim drop out of the Guv race, making room for David?

I thought Ronnie was weak -- lots of hot air -- and she lied about thinking people should be treated the same or have the same rights, or whatever she said.

I think that after the next maybe one or two episodes I can gladly drop this show. I just want to see more of Kathryn's reaction, and her bond with Hannah, after that I'm out.Believe it or not it's the not the Veronica character that is turning me off. I'm just done with her. I dont' care about Jeffrey, or David -- for letting her get away with her BS. I'm done. The bad bitch character only goes so far with me. And she's gone too far without being challenged. Her exchange with Candace was great episode bfore this last one. But as for Veronica herself, I'm done....with her until you can right a check for 24 million....where does TP get that crap...24 mill? why not 25 mill, what's so special about 24...why not 20 mill.

The "Jim taking the bus" angle was just stupid.

And if jim was soooo late for the press conference and DID have a suit on why didn't he go straight to the news conference? Because he didn't want to be seen on a bus? SO get off a block away. Because he'd have to explain taking the bus and not having his car?  He, say he wanted to identify with the people he's fighting for, or some other campaign BS.

So did he go home and then find out about Amanda? We the police there when he got there. And why is the DA coming to the house. And who leaked it to the press...or did he quickly figure out that since she was dead,,,,and since he was late....might as well use that as the cover. We'll see....

Going off the audio at the end of the episode, I assumed Jim was still incommunicado and on that bus--it was Wyatt who had called Katheryn, IIRC, and he was apparently bawling into the phone or something as the media suddenly picked up on the whole thing.  Which goes back to the other part--how did they find out?  Some reporter with a police scanner who caught the ambulance dispatch call?

I thought Ronnie was weak -- lots of hot air -- and she lied about thinking people should be treated the same or have the same rights, or whatever she said.

Oh, she absolutely lied her well-coiffed ass off--but it seemingly went over with most of the press in attendance (Landon's reporter friend notwithstanding), so it worked for her.  And that goes straight to this:

Believe it or not it's the not the Veronica character that is turning me off. I'm just done with her. I dont' care about Jeffrey, or David -- for letting her get away with her BS. I'm done. The bad bitch character only goes so far with me. And she's gone too far without being challenged.

Exactly.  Candace, at least briefly, has recycled a little karma via Mama Rose...and people (not necessarily us, but others) don't/didn't mind her being a maniacal superbitch since it's aimed at Jim.  Veronica, however, has been running roughshod over two of the most sympathetic characters in the show personally, and a ton of lesser folks in passing, damn near from the jump--definitely from the hit-and-run--and, as you pointed out, nobody has truly challenged her.  Not David (one step forward and two steps back with him, and the near-dalliance with Maggie doesn't help his case), certainly not Jeffery, nor even Quincy the Terminator.  The only person who's truly tried to fuck with her was Landon, and that blew up in his face.  And since the show seems to have conveniently minimized the fact that Veronica is holding the car over Jeffery's head, the one thing that can bring her down now is the reveal that she got Quincy out of prison.  (Though that, if it gets out, would turn everybody against her.  Except perhaps Katheryn.)

Passions had Alistair Fucking Crane.  We've got Veronica Fucking Harrington.  And they both kind of need to be shot.

• Love 1
Professor Rapey. I want him to face his comeuppance.

He's still running around Savannah with a knife in his back!

Actor who plays Wyatt has not mastered the "wail in anguish" acting moment. Really bad.

The "actor" really hasn't mastered any kind of acting moment.  His best moment was when he was lying on his stomach in his underwear while Jeffery licked his chops.

We've got Veronica Fucking Harrington.  And they both kind of need to be shot.

Don't say that!  Veronica is the only character  I can handle right now, sure she's homophobic and classist, but while everybody around her is whining, she's out there hiding hit and run cars, blackmailing her son, beating down bitches and orchestrating the release of Mr Quincy Bitch!

how did they find out?  Some reporter with a police scanner who caught the ambulance dispatch call?

If Jim's a big enough deal that Jimmy Carter (and Secret Service contingent) would show up at the press conference, I imagine a gun shot death at the Cryer manse would hit the wires immediately--especially if neither he nor Katheryn were there to clamp down it going public right away. Yes, the info probably did come off the police scanner and I wouldn't be surprised if someone on scene didn't snap a cell phone photo of Amanda in her bloody bedroom. TMZ allegedly pays well for scandalous crap like that, the more macabre the better.

Passions had Alistair Fucking Crane.  We've got Veronica Fucking Harrington.  And they both kind of need to be shot.

Veronica may be the Victor Newman of THATHN. It's long been rumored that the actor who plays Victor has a clause his contract that no character is allowed to defeat his. He's pulled all manner of heinous stuff over the years--mostly to his own family members and various wives--and he's never been taken down by anyone. He has his stallwart fans but a lot of us are beyond tired of him and the absurd ways storylines are manipulated so he can always win.

Now that you mention it, Joimiaroxeu...Veronica's endless bitchery does have an odd Victor Newman-esque cadence to it, and the show isn't exactly subtle about her either.  Actually, considering she's a megabitch to everybody's faces--and this week she was doing it with her husband standing right there--it's less subtle about her.  (Oh, God, I really wish I could unsee this now.)

OTOH, Victor has had the occasional, if rare as hell, stumble and fall--if in a clumsy, often abbreviated way--while Alistair Crane was virtually untouched throughout his entire run on Passions before he was unceremoniously taken out by a fresh-faced psychotic young woman.  And since the show just killed off its one fresh-faced crazy girl, we don't even have that option now.  I suppose Quincy could finally turn on her and throw her down a staircase...

1) Oh, please, bigger than Jimmy Carter? Secret Service protection....Jim didn't even have LOCAL POLICE protection.

Let's see....

-- he was supposedly a federal judge and Candace showed up at not only the courthouse but HIS office -- (have you tried to get into ANY federal building these days  let alone a courthouse) (but I digress)

-- she showed up at his HOUSE

-- she showed up at his resignation announcement and showed her ass

-- he was snatched out his driveway -- by thugs in a whooptie

That's one of the questions some of us here have been asking WHERE is his security.

2) Did the TV anchor said Jim was late for (or didn't show up for) his campaign announcement BECAUSE of the death of his daughter -- or did she speculate that "one reason Jim Cryer may not have shown up as his announcement" is because of the death of his daughter. Also I'm sure that same station has a reporter AT the campaign headquarters and that the station once they heard word of Amanda would have called their reporter THERE to confirm or ask that person about it. And that reporter would say "well, MRS. Cryer is here....."  Not that this would be the firt time TP has made plot mistakes....but I can tell no news anchor would PRESUME that's why he didn't make it,

ALSO, with the death of a person in a famous family you can't go on the air with just a scanner report that the person is dead....that needs to be officially confirmed. Perhaps anonymously by a legitimtae source -- but still confirmed by someone -- a spokesperson, and agency, a hospital....NOT a scanner report.

3) That's one of the stupid things about this stupid show. The Cryers are supposed to be SOOOO big, so rich, so high and mighty. Yet they all drive their own cars. They didn't hire people to tail their own adult kids -- one that were bi-poloar skitzso, the other that had major drug problems. (and I'm not talking about sad Jeffrey being Wyatt's rehab counselor) How the hell did Amanda and Wyatt get into all that stuff without reports back to their parents? Amanda is hanging out with QUINCY? Give me a break. No drivers, no personal assistants, no protection, And I don't want to hear they wanted to keep those problems quiet....if you're THAT powerful, you hire people whose job IT IS to keep that shit buried. The right kinds of tail and protection stays back...Amanda and Wyatt could have been covered and not even know it....the tail can be told to report activities and step in ONLY to prevent a crime....WHY didn't the Cryers know Amanda and bought a gun, gone to some professors house, -- hell STABBED him in a public park. Why didn't a tail know where Wyatt was the night he got high and drove Jeffrery's car?

The Cryers are so high and mighty -- yet when Jim wants Candace taken care of he calls the "Malones" and gets a Shelly Winters "Big Bad mama wanna be." Hell, CANDACE has better mop up people than he has.

4) Personally I don't think the Veronica-Victor Newman characters are anything alike. I don't think they compare at all. Who the hell is Veronica? She owns a rehab center and her husband is a judge and she's supposed  to be some bad bitch, who can get anybody on the phone she wants, and body out of jail she wants. Bitch please. Are they both "powerful?" Sure I guess......but, Veronica is just laughable as a character. V. Newman is not. I can't put my finger on it but, IMO, they're just not comparable. 

Edited by selhars
  • Love 1
Personally I don't think the Veronica-Victor Newman characters are anything alike. I don't think they compare at all. Who the hell is Veronica? She owns a rehab center and her husband is a judge and she's supposed  to be some bad bitch, who can get anybody on the phone she wants, and body out of jail she wants. Bitch please. Are they both "powerful?" Sure I guess......but, Veronica is just laughable as a character. V. Newman is not. I can't put my finger on it but, IMO, they're just not comparable.

Wasn't comparing the characters, was making the suggestion that perhaps in THATHN world, the Veronica character is the one who can never be defeated, just like Victor Newman. Sure TGVN's had a few momentary downfalls here and there but for the most part no one permanently gets the best of him no matter what evil crap he pulls. Right now it seems that Veronica is similarly untouchable.

Oh, please, bigger than Jimmy Carter? Secret Service protection....Jim didn't even have LOCAL POLICE protection.

Yeah the Cryers and their utter lack of personal security is laughable but apparently Jim's got enough political juice to pull one of the few living ex-presidents to a press conference. The show has pointedly mentioned it at least twice so it must have some kind of significance. (And though the show never mentioned him by name, I figured it was Carter because he's a Georgia son and it wouldn't make sense for Clinton or either of the Bushes to step into another state's governors race, especially in a year where there's no presidential election looming. It's odd though because I never had the impression that the Cryers and Harringtons were Democrats.)

ALSO, with the death of a person in a famous family you can't go on the air with just a scanner report that the person is dead....that needs to be officially confirmed. Perhaps anonymously by a legitimtae source -- but still confirmed by someone -- a spokesperson, and agency, a hospital....NOT a scanner report.

The scanner report is probably what initially put the press on the story. From that point they likely worked their local sources inside the police department, EMT services, and hospitals to get confirmation. These 24/7 news cycles encourage the big broadcasters to jump out with stories as soon as they minimally can because they want to beat their competition to the punch. They know they can keep following up as more concrete details emerge. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that a neighbor got to Wyatt or Celine to find out what happened and they put it on Twitter or called TMZ.

The show has pointedly mentioned it at least twice so it must have some kind of significance.

Not really,,,,I think that's just bad writing and BS....Let's see....

- Amanda was raped, there was a possible pregnancy, she snuck into the guy's house, AND stabbed him in borad daylight in a public park....NONE of that ever went anyway...just dropped

-- Benny was going to perhaps date Darcy (the girl he was supposed to pick up the night he was arrested)...never seen her again

-- Wyatt's girlfriend -- never seen her again.

-- There could have been TWO guys interested in Hannah, the cop who worked for Jim and the dead girls grandfather....and who does TP have stick around? The cop whose character could at least have been intertwined with other plots and characters? No, the 'hood grandfather. Ugh.

So the fact that they just mention some former pres is coming means nothing.

With Amanda's death I suppose we'll have to see which things come into play.

- We already know the DA shows up again...to yet again try to hang something on Jim or the Cryer's in general.

OR will where how Amanda got the gun, AND how the hell her psychiatrist said she was OK when she was suicidal. Her parents had been told she had thoughts of killing them, and Kathryn was even concerned about it....buy the psychiatrist says she' OK.....and that's it?

I'll be VER curious to see how they have CANDACE react to Amanda's death. Because Jeffrey tried to tell her Amanda was NOT OK. But Candace 1) wouldn't listen, 2) didn't seem to REALLY care. But she does know about the rape...so will that EVER come out or be yet ANOTHER thing that's just dropped.

Did anyone else LAUGH out loud during the Benny conversation with the other tow truck driver about investing in a towing warehouse and business? Good grief.

And what happens when Catherine finds out about the 7 million Jim transferred...supposedly JIM doesn't have it like that. Or will THAT be dropped, too?

Edited by selhars

4) Personally I don't think the Veronica-Victor Newman characters are anything alike. I don't think they compare at all. Who the hell is Veronica? She owns a rehab center and her husband is a judge and she's supposed  to be some bad bitch, who can get anybody on the phone she wants, and body out of jail she wants. Bitch please. Are they both "powerful?" Sure I guess......but, Veronica is just laughable as a character. V. Newman is not. I can't put my finger on it but, IMO, they're just not comparable. 

Veronica was a very powerful attorney once upon a time. Then it was alluded to by David and her that she had a nervous breakdown and wound up in the crazy ward for a while. She never went back to working as an attorney. This was all casually mentioned last season in a few episodes. Of course, TP dropped that storyline as well. Now she just hangs around making her son and husband miserable while they keep coming back for more.  

Edited by bichonblitz

I'm NOT going to say it was a 'good' episode. I will say it had a lot of character reaction that I wanted to see.

I couldn't watch the initial episode -- But I stayed at work an hour and a half longer OFF the clock so I could watch the midnight repeat.

Edited by selhars

So ... Murder?!? 

First suspect to come to mind is Quincy. Maybe he came back to the house to get the gun, Amanda wouldn't give it up. Just speculating.

A lot of emotion tonight. Celine is horrible, Veronica more so in many ways. Wyatt sucks too, but he did love Amanda.

Last night's episode might have actually succeeded at being both awesome (by this show's admittedly loose standards) and awesomely bad schlock.  If of course not in equal portions...

The awesome:

• In a backhanded way, the best (and worst) thing about this episode was how Passions-like it was.  While it revolved in large part about Amanda's death, it spent just as much time using it as a backdrop for just about all the characters clashing with each other.
  • Renee Lawless.  Katheryn spent most of the episode in a state of shock, only really coming out of it due to Celine and Wyatt.  It was pitch-perfect in its simplicity.
  • John Schneider, who got to catch up to Renee reaction-wise later in the episode.  And Jim, somewhat surprisingly, came clean to David about why he had been MIA.
  • David in general, just trying to be a calming influence in the middle of a hurricane of schlock.
  • Jeffery comforting his boo, Wyatt, right in front of Melissa (who by the end of the episode seems to have finally gotten it into her head that he's gay, but is still dragging her feet).

On the other hand, the schlock:

• Katheryn and Hanna, and maybe David, were the most understated folks in the episode.  Nearly everybody else--Veronica, Wyatt, and especially Celine--were all turned the fuck up for some weird reason.  It was really, really bizarre.
  • Wyatt's coping mechanism, enhanced by booze, was to basically lash out at everybody--at first in the name of his pain over losing his sister, but then he just became a dick about it.  Right down to picking on Jeffery about his feelings for him.
  • Remember Jim on the bus?  Yup, still on the bus...and after getting into a shouting match with the driver due to incorrect directions from somebody else he got off and ran into the brother of some guy he put in jail...and was saved from a beatdown by an old lady in a Chevette, who ended up giving him a lift.  And she was the one who told him that Amanda had killed herself, as per the news...
  • BUT WAIT!  A group of cops who had gotten to the Cryer mansion before Katheryn, David, Veronica, Jeffery, Melissa, and finally Jim--after insisting that nobody could leave before they were questioned, even while people were yelling at and shoving and slapping each other right in front of them--dropped the bomb at the end of the episode that Amanda didn't commit suicide.  She was murdered.  (Which explains the CSI: Miami-esque blood spatter in her room, but still.  The fuck?)
Edited by Bill C.

Given that TP is SUCH -- SUCH -- a bad writer....why oh WHY, is he turning this into a murder? Why not just let it be a suicide? For OUR sake.

IF it's Quincy, I'd LOVE, LOVE some how (although I can't see how it would happen) for JEFFREY to find out his mom was behind Quincy getting out.

Oh the joy of seeing HIM old THAT over HER head. Only the little doormat likely even with THAT info would n't jump bad...he'd tell his Dad to make it all better. 

OR, oh my Lord EVEN BETTER!!!! Quincy catches up with CANDACE and tells HER Veronica got him out.

Imagine CANDACE having that information. I'm GIDDY at the thought.

As for:

-- Jim on the bus, at the bus stop, and how he found out....two scenes that went on too long.

-- Am I just too biased against John Schneider -- or can her really NOT act, AT ALL? I thought his anguish was terribly done. Just bad. Clearly the worst acting of the night.

-- Veronica and the people who talked back to her: So what? Until she's ACTUALLY TAKEN DOWN or loses a round....that back talk to her means nothing. Her and Celine -- so what? Her and David  -- who I'm still hoping has guts to really set her straight....I THOUGHT he did, and maybe he does..(over Jeffrey). But I'm starting who have my doubts. He called the car for Melissa...but again, so what?

--Kathryn, Wyatt? Whatever.

-- Bennie and Candace...AGAIN another conversation that went on waaay to long. So nooow Candace calls the prof to get her the bar exam and a job? Whatever.

And speaking of how Veronica got him out of PRISON -- not jail...PRISON.....exactly how did she do that. She's a lawyer....lawyers need JUDGES ....AND D.A. cooperation -- to get convicted inmates out of jail, and new hearings, and new trials...you know stuff like that..... And we can likely count on NO fingers the D.A. who would cooperate with getting Quincy out. Now I presume he was convicted and not just awaiting trial on bail. Remember when Ronnie looked at his record way back when she first found out about him. He'd been a repeat offender AND was actually serving time, right. So unless she forged a WHOLE lot of documents...just how the HELL DID she get him out.

And given that QUincy has been threatening people...why haven't David -- or Jim -- or Hannah -- hell -- even Candace go to the D.A.'s office to find out how the hell he did get out. Jim asked that question once but who the hell has followed up on that to find out. If the answer is they haven't had time because Quincy had jus come to dinner that night and they just met him....well if he's JIM CRYER, he could have and should have made a call THAT NIGHT, DURING DINNER...and gotten someone on the phone ASAP.....he IS JIM CRYER and RUNNING FOR GOVERNOR after all.

Or is TP going to just let all this drop, too? I'm sooo NOT interested in finding out who shot Amanda. I don't care.

Edited by selhars