Type keyword(s) to search

The Haves And The Have Nots - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Oh, this show. So many questions. How did Jeffrey wind up in his own apartment? I thought mommy took away everything. Is it because he agreed to start dating the ladies?  How did Candace know where his apt. was? All of a sudden the innuendo and suspicion of Celine's kid being Jims? Obviously Kathryn knows about it so why not just fire the bitch and be done with her. They can still keep paying her off without her having to work there. And if I were Celine and that kid is Jim's, now way would I be working as a maid. May ass would be sitting pretty collecting hush money!

Hate Benny now and hate Amanda, too. Can't wait till Quincy comes to dinner.

Now that I've finally seen this episode: Quincy's mushroom hair is indeed the exception that proves zillabreeze's rule about nearly all the men's hairstyles on this show.  Unless you're Jim or Wyatt, you're apparently all going to the same guy in Savannah.

This episode also may have broken the show's own record for circular conversations thanks to that several-minute chat between Wyatt and Celine at the beginning that referenced her not knowing where Amanda went at least five times.  Seriously, we're past Passions territory with stuff like this and into the realm of That's Armageddon...and combined with how the show is so statically staged, which just highlights the space-filler aspect of scenes like this, it's frigging ridiculous.

Speaking of Amanda, though...since we had the return of "eeny meeny..." it's certainly looking more and more likely that she's going to at least try to take out dear old Dad, and I'm actually looking forward to it.  But that thought was forced out by the skort (if nothing else Jaclyn Betham has legs for days) and the completely unintentional creepiness of this one shot with Amanda leaning back on her bed and Jim standing in front of her looking--for just an instant--like he was about to make her "Ten."  That hurt my brain.

OTOH, the whole thing with Jeffery and Melissa (hot-in-the-ass girl) and Candace and "Who left the toilet seat down?" was a pleasant burst of actual comedy on this dreary damn show.  So of course it was counterbalanced by Benny inviting both Tony and Candace to dinner, though at least the former was punctuated by Hanna death-glaring Tony through the wall--even if neither of them would just up and admit the whole kidneygate thing to Benny.  You'd think Hanna would do it just to drive Benny away from Tony, but noooo.

I didn't hate this episode as much as the last one, but again, everything was too drawn out. Why did Wyatt and Celine have to go back and forth for 8 minutes then Kathryn and Celine for another eternity about the fact that Amanda left, and Celine didn't know with whom?

Looks like it might have been yet another case of TP not writing enough to fill the 45 minutes so to make up the time the actors have to talk slower and repeat themselves ad nauseum. It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen on a so-called dramatic TV show (or even a soap opera) and I've seen plenty of nonsense.

I'm just waiting for the day she does it to David.

Yep. And then, to paraphrase Chris Rock, I'm not saying he should slap her but I'd understand.

They didn't quit being judges to run.

Actually they did. Apparently there's a state law that they can't be sitting judges while running for office (I'm assuming the judgeships are appointed positions, not elected).

The other thing I noticed is that most of them have the same body type as well.

There's a variety of skin tones though. You've got Jeffrey and Quincy on one end,  Benny and Tony on the other, and David somewhere in the middle. And I'm not sure about Landon; is he Black or Latino?

"eeny meeny..."

I'm kind of surprised TP is using that rhyme since it has some historically racist connotations.

You'd think Hanna would do it just to drive Benny away from Tony, but noooo.

Yeah, that's like an ace card up her sleeve. I don't know why she'd be hesitant to play it unless she wants Tony to out himself instead.

• Love 1

Quincy's mushroom hair

LMFAO!  Bill, is that a thing? 

So, next week I'll be counting the usage of "what?" or other prompts to make the speaker repeat their lines.  I thought about making it a drinking game, but my liver might explode.

I would like to take this moment to thank you all for being here to discuss this train wreck.  No one in my real life knows I watch this.  They think I am relatively intelligent and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

The thing that keeps standing out to me is the fact that Benny and his dad look more like BROTHERS than father and son...Poor casting....

And I still think Jim is the father of Celine's kid....

And how long before Celine's kid is revealed to be Carlos, the new hard-staring staff member for Jim and David's campaign?

A news report claiming that another person is responsible for the hit-and-run helps save Wyatt from jail; Carlos visits Jim and insists that Jim is his father.

That about sums it up, too.  (Thanks, TV.com.)  To be fair, though, it's not like any of this was unexpected.  Thus, the best parts of the penultimate episode of the season were Katheryn's backhanded "thanks" to Jim for his plan actually coming to fruition; David flat-out telling Jeffery he loved him just the way he is; Benny trying to play peacemaker between Hanna and Candace (who is either lying or misinformed about the fate of her and Quincy's baby, IMO); and, yes, Amanda's skort and leggings again.

(edited)

oh, dear Dawg.  At least fast forward & adult beverages kept me from wasting a full hour on this trash.

The skort that just won't die.  The colors, the tights & the boots - help me please.  Heidi Klum would look bad in that outfit.  But I guess the actors subtle and nuanced perfromance should keep us from even noticing her clothes :)

And...

Catherine's dress. Please. No couture salewoman would let her leave the store with that seriously unflattering dress.   As a fluffy type chick, I can testify that the colors are reversed.  The black should be on the sides and white in the middle would be so much more slimming.  Her BFF, Veronica would not let her buy that dress, but apparently Veronica is MIA.  Did she piss off TP in an interview?  And yet again, I ask- if Catherine brought all the money & cache to the table- why does she need Jim at all?

Also, what is up with the ADA, Jennifer and her forehead?  I'm sure she is a lovely person, but I swear her head looks like something they just pulled out of the freezer at Roswell.

Edited by zillabreeze
  • Love 1

Considering the near-epic bitchfaces Jennifer was throwing at Jim, I'm cutting Shari Headley a pass on the fivehead.  :)  I've got to agree on Katheryn's dress, though; the color scheme didn't do her any favors, somewhat like Amanda's complete outfit (on the one hand it accentuates Jaclyn Betham's figure, and on the other it's kind of a Technicolor mess).

All I know is I shoulda bet money on the fact that Jim and Celine had a kid together, cuz he showed up and showed OUT last night....even Celine couldn't shut his ass up....

Kathryn looked like a dam penguin in that dress and shoes to match....Not a good look....and the way she lets Mandy talk to her? Nope, wouldn't be me - that girl woulda been snatched bald and then be shown who the "crazy" one really is.....

And I don't believe Candy's baby is dead either....but next week should be really interesting to see what happens with Quincy and Jim....

• Love 2
(edited)

Liked this episode. It actually moved along.

Liked David and Jeffrey. David has his faults but loves his son unconditionally.

Liked Kathryn's ripping on Jim, and it looked like she got to him a little.

Liked Celine getting something to do, because I'll always have a soft spot for Eva Tamargo from Passions. She's actually quite a good soap actress.

And cray-cray Amanda never gets old, at least to me.

ETA: I also think Candace's son is alive, but she doesn't know it.

Edited by Scootman
  • Love 1

The best episode this season by far.  David showing his son unconditional love, Katheryn calling Jim every name in the book, the Youngs all together in one room, and the introduction of Carlos Schwarzenegger.  

Best line belonged to Katheryn:  What about the whore in the kitchen?!

So glad Hannah's going back to work, she'll have to get her work wig out of storage!  Will Benny's "Welcome back from your coma" party be the sight of Amanda's Eeeny Meeny Miny Mo rampage?

I can't be bothered to look up the actress who plays Amanda. Mainly because I don't care that much.

But in the make believe scenario I have in my head, she is a classically trained thespian and she weeps every time she gets a script with "Eeny, Meeney, Miney, Mo".

• Love 3

Zillabreeze, this is exactly what I think when watching the show. I thought I was the only person who felt that way. It is actually quite creepy.

The other thing I noticed is that most of them have the same body type as well.

I totally noticed the body type thing. Who casts this show? Is it TP?

Oh, this show. So many questions. How did Jeffrey wind up in his own apartment? I thought mommy took away everything. Is it because he agreed to start dating the ladies?  How did Candace know where his apt. was? All of a sudden the innuendo and suspicion of Celine's kid being Jims? Obviously Kathryn knows about it so why not just fire the bitch and be done with her. They can still keep paying her off without her having to work there. And if I were Celine and that kid is Jim's, now way would I be working as a maid. May ass would be sitting pretty collecting hush money!

Hate Benny now and hate Amanda, too. Can't wait till Quincy comes to dinner.

I knew Jim had a kid with Celine, as soon as I heard they had a "deal". All of these stories are out of the news. I'm still watching it though.

Hee.  I had to look it up out of curiosity...Jaclyn Betham's only done a couple of short films before this, FWIW.  OTOH, she's still better than some folks I've seen on daytime soaps (not that this show is an acting clinic, due in part to the way it's shot and scripted, but still).

Watching the promo for next week's season finale reminded me of one of the most unbelievable aspects of this show: the remarkable lack of violence, even for a soap nowadays.  Considering how many scenes have boiled down to one character smugly bitching out another character--or several others--as the latter does their best to bitchface them through a wall, it's astonishing that various characters (first and foremost Candace, of course--yes, even after she was abducted) aren't slapped, punched, or otherwise handled on anything close to a rare basis.  And the only reason I can come up with is that they can't afford the extra makeup for it.

When they appeared on Tyler's talk show, she said she went to a mental facility and actually researched patients who were there to get a grasp of what she needed to do with the character she plays....Looks like she's got it "down".....cuz she seems good and schizo to me for sure...

(edited)

I have taken another two week break from the show. I just come here to see what happened. MAYBE I'll watch some episodes in a marathon. Probably it would be more like tuning in to just catch certain scenes. Anything with quincy in it I don't need to see. I would like to see the scene between David and Jeffrey. I take it Jeff FINALLY told his Dad that his mom was threatening him. (I've only seen the scene where he tells SOMEONE but in the promo it's not clear that it's David he's talking to)

As for the actors experience before this....

The younger actors, especially haven't done much -- AT ALL. Heck, TP saw the guy who plays Wyatt in a commercial. Really? I wonder what "attracted' him to the actor (Aaron McConnel)....maybe he's Tyler's type (for the role, I mean)

Early on I checked out all the IMDB bios .....the acting was so bad I HAD to see what the heck have these people bee in.

Even the actors who play Katherine Veronica haven't done much on film or TV....maybe they've done some theater (and most of that NOT major) 

You know it's bad when the acting AND writing are so terrible you don't know WHICH is worse. I guess it's both in some cases, but one of those in the other. Peter Parros IMO is clearly a better actor than this material. Same for the actors who play Katherine and Veronica, I THINK. But having not seen them in other things I can't say. Maybe they suck as actors AND the writing is bad.  i THINK John Schneider could even do a better job if the writing werent' so stupid. He seems off kilter for some reason....like TP isn't giving them enough rehearsal time or something...or he's just horribly miscast....because even now he doesn't seem comfortable in the role.  Where as, Peter Parros or even the actresses who play Katherine and Veronica -- seem settled in to their parts......unfortunately the dialog is still just so stilted the show is unwatchable. And the actor who plays Jeffrey...IS he a better actor than the stupid part that's being written? Who knows? I haven't seen him in anything else to compare it to...... for his sake I hope so.

Edited by selhars
  • Love 2
Looks like she's got it "down".....cuz she seems good and schizo to me for sure...

Really, do real mental patients lock themselves in the bathroom and laugh non-stop?  I think she's the worst actor on the show, and on this show, that's saying a lot.

• Love 4
(edited)
The skort that just won't die.

This would be the third episode in a row that she's worn it. I know this show is being done on the cheap but that's pathetic. (To be fair, daytime soap characters often wear the same outfit for several episodes in a row but the clothes they're wearing don't look like someone pulled them from the remainders bin.) Again, I can't believe a professonal costume designer would have put Amanda in that skort or Katheryn in her very unflattering dress and I wonder if some of actors are wearing their own clothing. Either that or TP is serving as the wardrobe designer on top of his 15 other titles.

I wonder if TP's new nighttime soap coming in September is going to be any better than this mess. One can only hope he's learned from the mistakes he's made with THATHN.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu

I'd gladly take that if the camera followed her down, but that's my longstanding crush on Eva Tamargo talking.  If TP has indeed been taking any sort of soap-opera lesson to heart, though, it's got to be this one: whenever a soap--okay, any TV show--boldly proclaims that "someone will die!", 90-95% of the time it's a recurring character or dayplayer the audience really doesn't care about.  Even that shot of the Cryer house at night with the gunshot in the finale promo doesn't really offset that, though it may hint at a swerve or double cliffhanger (someone dies and someone else gets shot).

This would be the third episode in a row that she's worn it. I know this show is being done on the cheap but that's pathetic. (To be fair, daytime soap characters often wear the same outfit for several episodes in a row but the clothes they're wearing don't look like someone pulled them from the remainders bin.) Again, I can't believe a professonal costume designer would have put Amanda in that skort or Katheryn in her very unflattering dress and I wonder if some of actors are wearing their own clothing. Either that or TP is serving as the wardrobe designer on top of his 15 other titles.

I wonder if TP's new nighttime soap coming in September is going to be any better than this mess. One can only hope he's learned from the mistakes he's made with THATHN.

Part of the wardrobe insanity is that the past few episodes have all taken place on the same day (though the passage of time appears to be all wonked up--how long did it take Quincy to take Amanda to get her unseen tattoo, for instance?).  The other part is just weirdness; Renee Lawless' dress was decent enough, if color-reversed, while Jaclyn Betham's entire outfit is/was a little too teenybopper (then again, Amanda's cray-cray, so).

As for the upcoming If Loving You Is Wrong...if it has the same production schedule as Haves (the first twenty episodes were shot in something like eighteen days, and I fully suspect what we know as S2 wasn't that much further off), it'll be just as much of a mess as this.  Perhaps with slightly more Pretty, but...naaah.

(edited)
Renee Lawless' dress was decent enough, if color-reversed, while Jaclyn Betham's entire outfit is/was a little too teenybopper

The Cryers are very wealthy people. Presumably Amanda and Wyatt went to private schools, hung out at country clubs, etc. They should know by example how other rich kids dress. Katheryn definitely looks the part of a woman who buys couture clothing or at least stuff from the better off-the-rack stores, but Amanda looks like she gets her wardrobe at Ross or Walmart. Now those are perfectly fine stores if that's all you can afford but that is not the case with Amanda. Her clothes look way too cheap and ill-fitting for someone raised and still living at her socioeconomic level. Even allowing for her mental issues, I don't there's any reason for her to be in anything like that skort outfit. It's like something left over from a blaxploitation film from the 1970s.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 3

I really need to see someone snatch Ronnie's wig clean off her head. My first choice would be Jeffrey. Alas, unlike his hardcore mother, Jeffrey ain't about that life. Hell, even Quincy ain't about it. Hannah might do in a pinch if she felt disrespected enough. My dark horse is Jim. He has no respect for women and he's not above a physical altercation with one, complete with bitch-ass wig-snatchin'.

• Love 1
(edited)

Watching the promo for next week's season finale reminded me of one of the most unbelievable aspects of this show: the remarkable lack of violence, even for a soap nowadays.  Considering how many scenes have boiled down to one character smugly bitching out another character--or several others--as the latter does their best to bitchface them through a wall, it's astonishing that various characters (first and foremost Candace, of course--yes, even after she was abducted) aren't slapped, punched, or otherwise handled on anything close to a rare basis.  And the only reason I can come up with is that they can't afford the extra makeup for it.

Especially when Candace was tied to a chair, and she was so bitchy to her kidnappers. No one is that brave. And, where did Mama Rose

learn to talk?

Is Jeffrey half out of the closet or what?  Every time a gay guy comes on to him he acts repulsed. Maybe he's just saving himself for Wyatt, his one true love. The actor who plays him sucks and the entire series sucks but I can't tear myself away from one single episode. I will admit I think David is HOT! Kinda reminds me of Lionel Ritchie only better looking and Dukes of Hazzard Jim is hot, too, for an older guy. He has aged well. 

I love Jeffery!! He's the only believable Character. When he told Ronnie that he'd had sex with that girl, and yelled "and I hated it" was the best line of the show. Almost all of the male cast members are hot. Did they have to strip to get their jobs?  I also think it's bad, but can't stop watching.

Edited by Boogie
  • Love 1

And so the season ends...

Candace is out for revenge; Katheryn's celebratory dinner turns cold when Quincy shows up.

The positives:

No more skort!  Amanda initiated legporn mode in a red dress, and Katheryn looked positively gorgeous in a purple dress.

David finally stood up to Veronica, however briefly, about Jeffery thanks to his everpresent I'm-in-hell face over his dinner date (and the presence of his real boo, Wyatt).  And, even more briefly, it looked like it sunk in.

Hanna sortakinda bonding with Candace, let alone being the voice of the audience and declaring that Candace's mystery baby was still alive.

Quincy the cyborg thug crashing Katheryn's dinner.  Not so much because he got to punch Jim out--though karmawise he had it coming--but for the sheer hilarity of his one damn facial expression uniting everybody against him and "Mr. Quincy Bitch" and so on.  God, we needed the comedy.

And after thirty-six episodes Eva Tamargo finally got a moment to shine, as Celine put Jim on blast for thinking "everything is about money" among other things WRT her and Carlos.  (Hypocritical as it was, since he did give her some money earlier in the season.)  And the way she did it made it sound like, on some level, she was still hung up on the big lug.

The negatives:

That recurring men-are-weak thing.  Not so much Jeffery as David in this case. Yes, he got to stand up to Queen Bitch Veronica, and then he tried to assure a tipsy Maggie that he was still happy with his wife...but then he goes and does the soapiest thing yet: after trying and failing to call Veronica, he decides to go through the conveniently unlocked connecting doors between his and Maggie's rooms--and scene cut.  Since the second and/or third season of THATHN isn't due until January 2015, we've got that long to wonder if David really did--or will--present his, ahem, case.

This may take the cake for the absolute dumbest thing to ever happen on this show: Jim gets a mysterious text in the middle of the night, goes out into his driveway--and is promptly frigging ZERG RUSHED by Warlock and the entire Atlanta Falcons starting lineup, or whatever his gang is.  It was one guy, Warlock!

And the actual cliffhanger, where TP tried to get schizo-artsy with Amanda finally fulfilling her eeny meeny miney mandate by running back and forth trying to decide whether to shoot Wyatt or Katheryn.  And since we only hear the shot from outside...I'm heavily inclined to vote "neither."  Which means either Amanda took herself out, which would be weird due to the whole Professor Rapist thing, or...Celine?  Somehow?

• Love 2
(edited)

Delurking....

I love Jeffery! He's the only believable Character. When he told Ronnie that he'd had sex with that girl and yelled "and I hated it" was the best line of the show.

I disagree. I know that closet cases still exist, but IMO, there's nothing believable about a grown gay man who's so terrified of his mother that he lets her control every aspect of his life, including whether he can talk to his father in private. Speaking of David, as far as I'm concerned, every time he's shown unconditional love for Jeffrey,  those were the only good things about this show, which is shitty, to put it mildly.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 1

Veronica's smirking self needs to take her incessant "boy" crap and burn in hell. I previously assumed she'd paid Melissa to put it on Jeffrey but now I wonder if the girl has any idea that she's a beard. She has a right to know that the man she's having sex with might also be having sex with men because that may not be a risk she's willing to take.

Why do people as rich as the Cryers not have any security on their estate, and how is it that the Harringtons don't have voicemail on their home phone? What century are these people living in? (Must say, though, I loved Ronnie's silk PJs.)

I hated to see David about to succumb to temptation but Veronica pretty much pushed him to do it with the false accusations. Meanwhile, I am still riding on the "Jim and Ronnie had a fling back in the day" train. There's a subtle intimacy about the way they interact with each other, as if they share a secret.

I think Amanda shot herself, or at least I hope she did. I don't know which character is more useless: her, Wyatt, or Celine.

Katheryn looked positively gorgeous in a purple dress.

She did. The color purple seemed to be rampant in this episode.

And after thirty-six episodes Eva Tamargo finally got a moment to shine, as Celine put Jim on blast for thinking "everything is about money" among other things WRT her and Carlos.  (Hypocritical as it was, since he did give her some money earlier in the season.)  And the way she did it made it sound like, on some level, she was still hung up on the big lug.

Yeah, about 35 episodes too late, AFAIC. If it's not about the money, why does she keep taking it from the Jim? Her baby boy is a grown-ass man so it can't be child support. If Jim's worred about her spilling all the Cryer's dirty laundry, he should just have the Malones fit her for some cement shoes and drop her in a river.

Since the second and/or third season of THATHN isn't due until January 2015, we've got that long to wonder if David really did--or will--present his, ahem, case.

Heh, his case. Noice.

Which means either Amanda took herself out, which would be weird due to the whole Professor Rapist thing, or...Celine?  Somehow?

Don't know why it could be weird for Amanda to use the gun on herself; apparently she's already tried to take herself out several times already. Are you referencing her possible pregnancy (the plot point which vanished like the wind)? Her putting a bullet in Celine's head would be a good alternative though.

I'll give TP credit for leaving a few good cliffhangers again. Gawd help me, I wish I knew how to quit this trainwreck....

I full heartedly agree DollEyes. His mommy made him have sex with a icky girl! Eww Yuck!

It's 2014 and Tyler expects me to believe this guy needs a gay tutor in the form of Candace and that his mom controls his cock.

• Love 1

Jesus Christ Veronica, if Jeffery's friend is a flamer, what happens when you bump into the Lady Chablis on the streets of Savannah?  Do you spontaneously combust?

I hope Quincy gets invited to every Savannah dinner party going forward.  "What's your name?" "Quincy, bitch!"  Not quite dialogue from Downton Abbey, but it's serviceable.

Please TP, put us all out of our misery and let Amanda be the "mo"!  Keep the skort but get rid of Amanda.

Celine just said she has never asked Jim for anything, wasn't it just a couple of episodes ago she was asking him for a check?  Can TP spell continuity?

I did enjoy Jim getting attacked by Mr Quincybitch, but not as much as Jim getting swarmed by Candy's Hoods. 

Celine just said she has never asked Jim for anything, wasn't it just a couple of episodes ago she was asking him for a check?  Can TP spell continuity?

Wasn't it a $10,000 check? Could TP be forgetting his own bullshit storylines?  Or maybe that's how little he thinks of his viewers.

The $10K check popped up, IIRC, either in the episode where Wyatt hit Benny with his car or the one immediately after that (what we'd call the S2 opener).  I want to say that was the last and/or only time we actually saw Celine hit up Jim for money, which still makes her speech to him hypocritical--but not as much as it could be, so to speak.  That said, she made the point that she knew a significant chunk of his dirty laundry and hadn't threatened to blab to anyone (since the check thing, I guess), even in the name of asking for more money.  Either she's still hung up on him or she's punishing herself to the point of masochism by hanging around the Cryer mansion just to drop withering retorts at him about the son he abandoned...and with this show it's probably both.

....by Warlock and the entire Atlanta Falcons starting lineup,

LMFAO!!! Jeez, Bill C. you can now come clean the chardonnay off my keyboard!  That was wonderfully put.  To examine that epic scene a little further.... The number of Falcons did not match the size of the car- so we got a wonderful clown car effect!  Wish I had counted the number of "thugs".  What kind of pussy badasses are you if it takes the whole team to put one old man in a trunk?  And it was an older, large trunk, so they didn't even have to really "fold" him.

I guess I will have to re-DVR that scene- IIRC, the sound effect of the Falcons feet was definitely added later and sounded rather cartoonish - like the Roadrunner trying to escape the Coyote.  Thank you TP for that TeeVee gem!

Oh!!! And, Dear Cryers:  Please don't invite me to your house ever for dinner.  Although the entertainment was mighty fine, no one ever got offered a pre-dinner cocktail.  Just sitting around in all that awkwardness and NO ONE GETS AN ADULT BEVERAGE???  For shame, I hope your Southern Cards are instantly revoked.   As a Ga. girl I will attest- you must ALWAYS add alcohol to family drama - JEEZ!!!

As far as the final "shot" - I thought "please gawd, let that be the one that puts poor Amanda (and her acting career) out of their misery.

• Love 5
I want to say that was the last and/or only time we actually saw Celine hit up Jim for money, which still makes her speech to him hypocritical--but not as much as it could be, so to speak.

I don't mind hypocrisy in a soap opera, flawed characters make good drama.  Celine hit Jim up for money, then when she didn't get it immediately she walked into the living room, in her very practical high heels, and said in front of the company "I still haven't received my check."

My point is, I don't mind Celine conveniently forgetting she blackmailed the daddy of her baby, but when she claims "I have never demanded anything from you!", I expect Jim to say "Oh, I big to differ."

In retrospect I wonder if Celine's declaration was quietly meant in comparison to Candace, who basically shook Jim down for everything she could get.  Carlos still skews the curve, though.

Oddly, Jeffery being so firmly under Veronica's thumb doesn't strike me as that unbelievable.  Frustrating, absolutely, and the biggest melodramatic aspect on a show hellbent on melodrama...but unbelievable?  He's not that old (I want to say he's meant to be in his mid-twenties, if that), he's indeed semi-closeted with no friends (except his boo, Wyatt), and most importantly Veronica's that much of an appearances-concerned superbitch.

That said, this is also the same show where it took ten men (I had to rewatch the season finale to verify this) to abduct one guy in his own driveway.  Ten.

I can't wait to see how THAHN compares to TP's new nighttime soap coming to OWN called "If Loving You is Wrong" -- sort of HIS version of "Desperate Housewives"...about for or five families living on the same block...and their relationships, rendevous, and machinations.

The promo makes it look better than THAHN. Seems much faster paced.

Given that TP has so many shows going at the same time -- no wonder THAHN is so bad.

Separately, I ask myself: IS THAHN getting better? I dont' know that I'd say it's getting "BETTER" Is that the right word? "BETTER?"

As far as that pregnancy test- Amanda took it after the professor raped her (or whatever happened there.) Mary Ann and Ginger (I mean Amanda and Candace) talked about it and Candace said something along the lines of the test being a false positive. Then Jim found it and confronted Candace, who just rolled with it.

As I was reading some your posts, I found myself defending some of the characters. For instance- Jeffery. He HAS to do what his bitch mother says because if he doesn't, she'll turn his car into the police. He can't let her send his only friend (and the man he loves) to prison!

As I read that back to myself, I realized 2 things.

1: That it sounds really stupid.

2: No matter how bad most of (not all) of the actors are, no matter how repetitive and ridiculous the writing is, and no matter how much I HATE to admit it, I'll be tuning in for Season 3 because I cannot stop watching this damn show.

Production-wise, this actually is indeed the second season of this show...but we already whiffed that pitch, so we're going with it.

Hanna hosts a party for Benny; Jim is held hostage; and David is tempted to sleep with Maggie.

First and foremost: remember Amanda's offscreen gunshot from the first-season finale?  Other than it waking up Wyatt here, it's not touched at all; he checks on both Katheryn and Amanda's beds and finds them full, and that's it as he moves on to find Jim's Blackberry just outside the front door (abandoned in the Zerg rush when he was kidnapped) and, eventually, discover all of "Big Daddy"'s saved texts with Candace proving they were getting it on.  (And one with Celine, just to dot that particular I.)  This actually drives Wyatt to drink, which probably wasn't supposed to be funny.

Jim, meanwhile, gets stashed by Warlock--this time, without the Zerg--in some basement, all the time protesting that he's a federal judge and that Warlock and later Candace will be sorry.  (Possible gaffe: I don't recall Jim ever specifically being named as a federal judge.)  Warlock gives Candace the good news, and she's borderline Amanda-crazygiddy about exacting her vengeance on him; she actually ducks out a window from Hanna's house to go see her man after giving Benny a sanitized/spun version of the story of Jim kidnapping "some person" and insisting all the Cryers are TEH EVUL.  Technically, girl, you started this.  Bye.

Hanna, meanwhile, is busy hosting that party for Benny and being a friendmom to a drunken Michael (grandfather to the kid killed in the hit-and-run), who pretty blatantly but drunkenly hits on her and ends up being told to sleep it off in her bedroom.  The punctuation mark for this is Byron showing up to try to patch things up with Hanna, who shuts him down completely.  At least he leaves the six-pack of beer he brought with him at the party.

And David?  After getting just a lil' drunk and insisting that "if we're gonna do this let's just do it," he finally gets to the making-out-in-underwear stage with Maggie...but can't go through with actually closing the deal, due to his guilt WRT Veronica.  Maggie for her part is actually supportive of him, which is weird as hell in light of the full court press she's put on him in previous episodes, but I guess it's a layer for her.  And the damage is done anyway; Veronica, after trying and failing to call David in the middle of the night, shows up at his hotel (in sneakers, so you know shit just got real).  And, after hearing his phone ringing through the door, she calls the front desk to have someone open "her" room...

Oh, by the way: that happens after Mr. Quincy Bitch breaks into Veronica's house, fixes himself a snack, and tries to force himself on her.  She only gets him to back off and GTFO by threatening to kill his entire family--by name.  All of this is straight Soap 101, but it's still irritating; David, right down to wondering if he's a fool for still loving Veronica (to Maggie!), continues to be too good for her but is still currently the one who strayed (or tried to) first.  The wait for her sins to be revealed to the world continues to suck.

Edited by Bill C.
  • Love 2

So proud of myself. I didn't watch. Some of what I just read about the episode, though is exactly why.

Thanks for the recap This way I can snark on the show -- and be spared the pain of watching. You're a stronger person than I am.

-- I can't believe this house as NO security. "Federal" judge and people judge drive right up. OK

-- That the hotel person just opens the door no checking that it's her room. OK

-- Veronica's threat to Quincy. Please...

-- Jim's kidnapping....No words.

(To be fair, I did watch a repeat episode of one I missed last season that was aired las night. The one where Celine's son confronts Jim...because you know, she's the maid but she didn't open the door, and someone shows up at the door of a federal judge, SAYS he's from the campaign and Wyatt just let's him him and roam the house.....Oh yeah and Amanda's doctor ASSURED Jim and Kathryn Amanda was OK after some TOTALLY bogus session on the patio: "Is she OK",...."Yes, She's OK. ....."Is she really OK." ........: Yes she's really OK." ........"Are You sure she's OK." ..........."Yes she's find. She did seem anxious so I'll prescribe some sleeping medication". Oh good heavens....

Edited by selhars

Oh, by the way: that happens after Mr. Quincy Bitch breaks into Veronica's house, fixes himself a snack, and tries to force himself on her.  She only gets him to back off and GTFO by threatening to kill his entire family--by name.  All of this is straight Soap 101, but it's still irritating; David, right down to wondering if he's a fool for still loving Veronica (to Maggie!), continues to be too good for her but is still currently the one who strayed (or tried to) first.  The wait for her sins to be revealed to the world continues to suck.

So I guess Veronica and David don't have an alarm, either.   I loved David last season.,Please, Tyler Perry, don't turn him into a wimpering, spineless fool over that bitch Veronica. 

I did watch. And for me I've had a POV shift.

Now that I'm not expecting, or even HOPING that ANYthing will make sense about this show.....now that I'm watching JUST to snark and rip it to shreds, it's soooo much easier on my blood pressure. I don't care anymore. It's amazing how much LESS stressful the viewing is when you don't care. Thank goodness for the  paradigm shift. No more yelling at the TV. Just pity.

-- Veronica and campaign manager Maggie. Maggie is a wuss. As much animosity as I'd have had toward her if I were Maggie. I'd have been ready for the bitch. Bring it on, Vur- rah-nih-kuh. Since she likes throwing her weight around so much and bulling hotel workers. That fight was WEAK.

-- Jim in the dungeon. 1) He wouldn't even BE in the dungeon if his house had some frigging SECURITY! His "let me go right now. I'm telling you for the last time" scene went on waay to long. Because he said it's the last time.....something like FIVE times. OMG the scene pacing and dialog continues to be weak on this show. He bravado about not signing any thing was so weak. When the 'deep voiced' hooker types came in I was like, "oh shit" she's not going to have him beat up!

-- The Hannah friend who-made-take-home-plates-of-food chat. If they go to church and are such friends, wouldn't she already know the story about the grandbaby and Quincy? IF Hannah lives in a nice neighborhood and a nice house....then....I dont' want to THINK about what the "old neighborhood" was.

-- NOT looking forward to the make-out scene between Hannah and the dead, little girl's grand dad. I think they've already teased that Benny comes in and starts to beat the guy up.

Edited by selhars

What happened to the sweet  Benny? Now that he's recovered from his near death accident I don't like him at all. 

2nd episode in and no sign of Jim's wife, crazy daughter or Celine. When is his wife going to realize he is missing or is all of this supposed to still be occuring on the same night he was kidnapped when they are all still asleep? Time to move on to Day 2, people. 

Jim's text messages... I thought the Celine affair was years ago. Why does he have her text msgs on his phone? Anybody that cheats incessantly knows you don't save incriminating evidence, LOL. 

If this is all it takes to be a writer on a TV show, I'm sending in my application STAT

• Love 1

I did watch. And for me I've had a POV shift.

Now that I'm not expecting, or even HOPING that ANYthing will make sense about this show.....now that I'm watching JUST to snark and rip it to shreds, it's soooo much easier on my blood pressure. I don't care anymore. It's amazing how much LESS stressful the viewing is when you don't care. Thank goodness for the  paradigm shift. No more yelling at the TV. Just pity.

-- Veronica and campaign manager Maggie. Maggie is a wuss. As much animosity as I'd have had toward her if I were Maggie. I'd have been ready for the bitch. Bring it on, Vur- rah-nih-kuh. Since she likes throwing her weight around so much and bulling hotel workers. That fight was WEAK.

-- Jim in the dungeon. 1) He wouldn't even BE in the dungeon if his house had some frigging SECURITY! His "let me go right now. I'm telling you for the last time" scene went on waay to long. Because he said it's the last time.....something like FIVE times. OMG the scene pacing and dialog continues to be weak on this show. He bravado about not signing any thing was so weak. When the 'deep voiced' hooker types came in I was like, "oh shit" she's not going to have him beat up!

-- The Hannah friend who-made-take-home-plates-of-food chat. If they go to church and are such friends, wouldn't she already know the story about the grandbaby and Quincy? IF Hannah lives in a nice neighborhood and a nice house....then....I dont' want to THINK about what the "old neighborhood" was.

-- NOT looking forward to the make-out scene between Hannah and the dead, little girl's grand dad. I think they've already teased that Benny comes in and starts to beat the guy up.

EVERYBODY gets beat up on this show at some point. It's what they do.

Edited by JustDuckie

Oh my - this show is my guilty pleasure. S & M, thugs, sexy times, crazy-as-a-loon antics (Amanda), surprises of a gay man at the door (Will It/Won't It Happen?), 2am block parties with lots of dancing but no music, girlfights -- it's got it all! Tyler Perry knows how to bring it! Now if TP can just write dialogue for this group a bit better than I could...I mean really? That whole back and forth between Veronica and the hotel clerk was...cringeworthy.

"Boy, do you know who I am?"

"No"

"You don't know who I am?"

"No, I don't know who you are."

"You're gonna know who I am, boy"

Rinse, repeat. But I'm still watching!

• Love 1