Type keyword(s) to search

The Haves And The Have Nots - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's first season. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other seasons for show-related talk.

Not to mention "Hanna says 'lawd' five times in ninety seconds."

That said Hanna and Katheryn reaching a meeting of the minds, of sorts, was far and away the best part of the...what, summer premiere?  (Could've sworn this was the S3 opener, but the way the production schedule apparently works for this show...)

David finally starting to grow a pair with regard to Veronica and Jeffrey was a modestly distant second, even factoring in Veronica's increasing batshit craziness--seriously, not only has she tried to effectively influence the gay out of him, but now she wants him to "marry a nice black girl."  I was already way over her before that bon mot vomited out, but with that...girl, bye.  The thing that I'm dreading, though, is that the rift between her and David will lead to him going ahead and stepping out with Maggie--which will give her the right to be outraged, and she doesn't deserve it.  She doesn't deserve anything.

And then there was "I don't care if I die" Candace and Mama Rose...which combined with all the other arguments perfectly illustrates the show's major failing: almost nobody talks on this show.  They debate, or they argue...slowly...with lots of long pauses and bitchfaces.  And, unlike the closest reference point I can place to this show--telenovelas and the far more bonkers Passions--the arguments never, ever, descend into any sort of violence.  It's a bizarre metric, I know, but it sticks out like a sore thumb.  Why couldn't Mama Rose have smacked Candace one just to make herself look, you know, actually threatening?

Veronica and David's house looks like something from Gone with the Wind. It's exactly the kind of house I would have expected Ronnie to want to live in. She probably thinks it looks like the White House and not like a plantation house.

Does John Schneider wear a toupee? Those camera angles from the top of his head looked odd.

Katheryn had Benny moved to the better hospital but I wonder if she's also going to be paying his bills. She might not want to now since Hannah snitched on Wyatt.

Good grief, is there anyone in that town Jim hasn't sleep with? I guess maybe Veronica but I wouldn't put any bets on that either.

I was about to say Big Jim could do so much better than Veronica until I remembered he started all the current shit by banging Candace.  (Girl's eighteen kinds of pretty, but...)  And with David as pretty much his only friend in the universe, and with the nonstop angst protocol the show runs on...Joimiaroxeu, I think we may have just jinxed this shit.  We've got to take it back!

Mama Rose was on Big Love. How far she has fallen. I guess pickings are slim for middle aged masculine women.

But I'm still unsure why Candace wasnt popped on the mouth at least once for all that back chat. Yank her hair or something! And didnt we all know that the power of prayer would revitalize brain activity with Benny?

I really missed the Hannah/Katherine scenes last season so glad they were back.  

I'm barely hanging on to this show by a thread.  I like the characters.  The writing is just not cohesive.  Someone explained it really well up above.  It's not a true dialogue but people give speeches or the conversation goes around in circles.

We've got to take it back!

Nah, if TP wants to remain true to this show's soap roots, I'm afraid it's gonna have to come out at some point that Jim and Veronica had a fling. Bonus points if their "love child" shows up one day to blow the lid off their dirty little secret.

(edited)

-- BEST scene and acting of the night – opener with Kathryn and Hannah at the jail (on doing the right thing and each protecting her child)

-- WORSE SCENE could we have a tie? – 1) at the jail – HOW MANY TIMES did Maggie and Jim go back and forth with the “I’ll handle this,” “No. I’ve got this.” “No. You stay out of it. I’m handling this..” “No. I need to get on top of this.” No. I’m already handling this.” Really Tyler? Come on.

2) When crime boss mama first comes into frame – sits and front of Candace, takes off the hood and then goes into some BS about getting on a bus and leaving town? Again. Really? Leave town and never come back? THAT is what she’s kidnapped for? The Malones must be a D-List crime family if THAT is what they have to offer. Where’s Shelly Winters when we need her..now she was one “Bloody Mama” (if you’re too young to know, it’s a movie.)

The first time Candace talked back she should have been slapped silly. The two goons behind her never pulled her hair to jerk her head back – like we see when the person being held mouths off. They never her touched her. She’s giving off that much mouth? and they don’t lay a hand on her?

-- Wyatt – I was praying at the end – DON’T confess. Don’t break! His father’s a judge and he falls for that “look at these pictures, I can help you” routine. Jim told him no MATTER WHAT – Don’t say A WORD!

-- Jim and Kathryn in the police waiting area 1) he told her more than once shut up about certain things because of the cameras..2) No way a cop would have talked to a judge like that.

-- Amanda -- Next week the crazy one returns. An entire plot line I couldn’t care less about.

-- Jeffrey – I just don’t think that actor can act. Or either he’s too old to be playing this naive and sheltered.

Oh My how could I get the Veronica/David ride home in the car! Veronica’s attitude with Maggie on the phone. I’d have to set Veronica straight, cause I never HAVE been able to let people talk to me any old kind of way.

Finally I have to say Tyler did pull an old, tried and true soap opera staple plot twist out of his hat – with the D.A. on Wyatt’s case having been burned by Jim, and having it out for him.

(Some one at the other site pointed out that I hadn't mentioned Benny -- now having brain activity. That's because just like Amanda -- I couldn't care less about him either. But hey, if he lives...he lives.)

Has anyone scene the promo for this coming week. It looks like the Malones bring in some gurney contraption one which to torture -- or transport -- Candace. Jim finally tells David that Veronica has the car! Amanda -- once again -- goes looking to get a gun. And Jim stands before reporters to say he's been part of a 'cover up'....is he laying the blame on Veronica/Jeffery? And therefor jettisoning DAVID from his gov race ticket? IF SO -- I'd LOVE to see him and David become enemies -- the two big patriarch titans at war...'cause I LOVES ME SOME DAVID!! (actor Peter Parros). He's told Jim once already -- that Jim wouldn't want him as an enemy...we'll see, we'll see.

Edited by selhars

-- WORSE SCENE could we have a tie? – 1) at the jail – HOW MANY TIMES did Maggie and Jim go back and forth with the “I’ll handle this,” “No. I’ve got this.” “No. You stay out of it. I’m handling this..” “No. I need to get on top of this.” No. I’m already handling this.” Really Tyler? Come on.

2) When crime boss mama first comes into frame – sits and front of Candace, takes off the hood and then goes into some BS about getting on a bus and leaving town? Again. Really? Leave town and never come back? THAT is what she’s kidnapped for? The Malones must be a D-List crime family if THAT is what they have to offer. Where’s Shelly Winters when we need her..now she was one “Bloody Mama” (if you’re too young to know, it’s a movie.)

The first time Candace talked back she should have been slapped silly. The two goons behind her never pulled her hair to jerk her head back – like we see when the person being held mouths off. They never her touched her. She’s giving off that much mouth? and they don’t lay a hand on her?

-- Amanda -- Next week the crazy one returns. An entire plot line I couldn’t care less about.

-- Jeffrey – I just don’t think that actor can act. Or either he’s too old to be playing this naive and sheltered.

Has anyone scene the promo for this coming week. It looks like the Malones bring in some gurney contraption one which to torture -- or transport -- Candace. Jim finally tells David that Veronica has the car! Amanda -- once again -- goes looking to get a gun. And Jim stands before reporters to say he's been part of a 'cover up'....is he laying the blame on Veronica/Jeffery? And therefor jettisoning DAVID from his gov race ticket? IF SO -- I'd LOVE to see him and David become enemies -- the two big patriarch titans at war...'cause I LOVES ME SOME DAVID!! (actor Peter Parros). He's told Jim once already -- that Jim wouldn't want him as an enemy...we'll see, we'll see.

How were these big shots, who probably were somewhat used to covering up Wyatt's junkie moves, sitting in the waiting room doing this? And if Jim told Kathryn to shut up one more time, I was gonna have to go through the screen. Why she doesn't divorce him is beyond me. Put him out of your daddy's house. Sleeping on that spindly legged 1800's settee isn't punishment. 

The Fratellis from The Goonies would have buried the Malones.

Count me in on the boring ass Amanda train. Snore. There could have been so much more about mental illness, she was already a cutter, etc. But she had to get raped too? And the way she plays the mental break is so stupid to me. Giggling? Creepy eyes? That's more like some bad acid. Speaking of terrible stories and acting, we come to...

Jeffrey. What 23 year old man, working with addicts, knowing various backstories, is that damn childish? He has probably heard of people prostituting for a hit, but he can't figure out how to run down to 7-11 and buy a prepaid Virgin Mobile phone? He didn't have ANY money in an account he could access? Where did his paychecks go? 

I don't know if it is simply the writing or bad acting that is so wretched here. Is TP encouraging them to play these roles this way? Jeffrey cowering like a mouse, Amanda giggling and rocking...they are both too much. 

I was supposing that in the preview they might have been strapping Candace up for a forced, literal "back alley" abortion. Is this where we will find out that she is not really pregnant? Is it Amanda? I do want to see David go against Jim. David seems to have the smarts for it, whereas Jim is going off old school rich White man privilege. David is the one who makes the plans, and Peter Parros plays him as very cold when he needs to (talking about getting rid of Candace). I can't help but think of Jim as a joke when he goes on one of his threatening sprees. 

Why she doesn't divorce him is beyond me.

She wants to be the first lady of GA and then maybe the US. Plus, it's probably food for her ego to have a husband who looks like Jim.

I can't help but think of Jim as a joke when he goes on one of his threatening sprees.

How dare you! When Jim says he's handling it, he's handling it, he's handling it, do you not cower in fear?

Honestly, I don't how the actors can get through a straight take of some of this show's scenes. TP is such a poor writer that now he just has the actors repeat their lines over and over, in addition to leaving absurdly long pauses. I'll bet he only actually writes about 15 minutes worth of dialogue and action for each show.

• Love 1
(edited)

And that cop who was questioning Wyatt? His..." I can help you just tell me the truth."

Really, Tyler?

What's the point of the Malones threatening Candace to leave town? THIS is what they kidnapped her for?

I wonder if DAVID's plan was for Jim to call them to TRULY get rid of her...and JIM screwed up by just telling them to get her to 'leave town.' Or maybe when to tell these jokesters to 'make her go away" they don't get that you mean 'permanently.' Or when you say I've got a problem I need handled, this nonsense is the result.

For someone who has the power to make one phone call and have things 'taken care of' Jim sure is an idiot.

BUT THEN AGAIN as smart and deep and cruel as I think David could be -- he was STUPID to be there when Candace's car was handed over -- AND he gave Candace the money in HIS OWN personal duffle bag.

I know that was TYLER PERRY's weak writing but...you know what -- I'm just going to stop now....

Because if I start going over all the stuff that makes no sense -- and would NEVER -- EVER happen then we have to go back to all those hospital waiting room scenes and Candace walking in on A SURGERY to yell and the doctor and tell him to get his ass out there so she could talk to him! -- AND ALL the times Candace showed up and made a scene at PUBLIC events and no 'extra' standing around even batted an eye, and they never had security so Candace couldn't get in -- or be asked to leave. The scene she made at that last campaign event when they were all in the office was stupid. At what (supposedly) major campaign event does a woman walk in, cause a scene -- all the candidates and their wives disappear into a room -- and there are NO reporters, NO security. 

This show i a bad wreck I can't quit.

Edited by selhars
  • Love 1
(edited)

Or "the episode where Candace actually shows an emotion besides bitchy smugness," thanks to Stephanie Forrester--er, Mama Rose.  At least it outed that she was faking her pregnancy, and with her still in captivity...honestly, this I didn't even mind.  In soap terms, she had it coming.

Jim's nebulous plan to get Wyatt off the hook didn't seem to come together until the end of the episode, though even then it was still a little vague.  It seemed like he wanted to find this three-strike ex-con and put the hit-and-run on him, though what looked like a car under a tarp at the end of the ep and his stating that he was involved in a coverup seemed to work against that.

Wyatt, meanwhile...Jeffrey snuck into jail to check up on his big dumb ass, thus cementing theirs as the only halfway decent relationship on the show.

Amanda literally showing up just long enough to get a Glock from a pawnshop and drop the bon mot "Will it go through a professor?" was at least pleasantly random.  Ditto Tony showing up at Hanna's to try to find Benny to jack his organs, though at least that was anticlimactic due to Benny's improvement from braindeath to "really deep sleep," and Celine popping up for all of two minutes.

Darlene the nurse, considering the show's endless-angst mandate and her ultra-nice demeanor, has to turn out to have Benny's secret love child or a brain tumor or something.

And then there was Veronica, who was even more of a self-unaware superbitch than she was last week.  She straight up admits to David (and obliquely to Jim) that she has Jeffrey's car, openly blackmails Jeffrey with it in order to force him to date that "nice black girl," and then of course she's surprised when David decides to move out over it.  To reiterate: girl, bye.  I'm not sure if this is enough of a break for David and Maggie to get it on, though.

Edited by Bill C.

This is for stuff that makes no sense, including those meta things beyond the world of a traditional soap opera.

For example, on tonight's episode, Jeffrey just walked through a swinging door behind the lobby of the police department. On the other side of this unlocked, unguarded door? Holding cells. Just a self serve jail, I suppose. I guess no one is concerned about people entering the jail area with contraband since there was no security at all.

My issues with the extras rise again. When Jim/Kathryn etc were coming out of the jail as the press swarmed, there was one in particular who caught my eye. She was standing in the lower right center, and Jim is talking. She extends her hand between 2 other folks holding large news channel microphones. But her hand is empty. There is not even a little tape recorder, just empty space as she pretends to capture his comments. Did they run out of props? 

Bennie is breathing on his own. No monitoring, no nurses, just a doc snatching out his tubes. 

What about the cute nursing student who kept coming into Bennie's room? She kept asking how he was doing, when all she had to do was go and READ HIS CHART (since she's an employee she would be allowed)...

OK, Mama Rose. I can't take her seriously. "I'm performing your abortion." I did like Candace finally breaking a bit, nice change of pace, kind of like how she showed some emotion for Benny--before going back to revengebitch mode. She is the perfect kidnap victim, no one to notice she's missing. 

Random nursing student keeps popping in to empty the trash, with her "cute self." Huh? Why wouldn't she just say from the outset "Hey, I went to school with Benny, he was a good guy. Let me know if there's anything extra I can do to help." How is Benny's beard so perfectly shaped up? At least now, Hannah has a comfortable place to rest next to him instead of having to hang out in the County waiting room. 

Why is Celine even still on this show? Really? She adds nothing, especially now that she's not antagonizing Hannah. 

I like Big Tony, even though he's an opportunist body snatcher. He brings some of Hannah's best lines out. "I'm a good Christian woman standing here trying not to cuss your ass out!" A bit long, but I think we've found Hannah's thread title. 

I'm glad we had some real action in this episode instead of interminable talking. Wyatt got arrested, Benny breathed on his own, Candace admitted to not being pregnant (I guess that leaves Amanda--unless it will be conveniently forgotten for story purposes), Amanda got a gun (cue Aerosmith), and Hannah did a light cussing of Tony. I am sick of the actor playing Wyatt and his cry face. Makes him look like one of those puppets from Mr. Rogers. 

• Love 1
Why is Celine even still on this show?

Seriously. I think Amanda's doing a good job of carrying the crazypants angle on her own. Celine is just superfluous unless she's TP's way of trying to pull the Latino audience.

Wow, Maggie, overreact much? Jim is a "sociopath" because he wants to have a press conference without clearing with her first? Pssht.

Looks like Jim is paying some random ex-con to take the fall for Wyatt but what about that car? If it's supposed to be the hit-and-run car but Veronica still has possession of the actual vehicle, how are they going to keep her quiet? And I guess Jim is going to explain that he had the car fully repaired and detailed and that's why there's no DNA on it from the two accident victims.

One positive thing I will say about TP, he casts women with realistic bodies and not the usual skeletal waifs. Benny's future girlfriend the nursing student looks solidly built and ready to churn out some grandbabies for Hannah.

(edited)

I'm just so burned out from the holes and weaknesses in this show. I just can't get worked up about this episode -- but:

-- IS the bearded guy who will appeal at the news conference with David and Jim -- the guy Jim wanted the Malones to find (I didn't get a good enough look at the photo Jim had or the guy in that last scene)

-- WIth Celine as nosy and a trouble make as she is -- Jim just leaves all the photos out on the table? I SUPPOSE he could make up some excuse -- him being a judge and all -- but still. Why complicate you life like that.

-- Aren't David and JIM FORMER judges? I thought that the (first) party/announcement in Jim's office was them saying they're leaving the bench to run for governor. (I know a judge is always a judge, but you know what I mean. He's either taken a leave or whatever -- but he's not still hearing cases. Also it looks like Jim got David to go along with this news conference ploy mighty quickly. David sure seemed to be all in on something that Jim just pulled together on short notice. Given Jim's track record, you'd think David would have been IN ON what this 'coverup' story is supposed to be.

My line of the night, Jim to David: " If you've going to handle it. HANDLE it!." With dialog like that, bring on the Emmy.

-- Not saying it wouldn't happen. But David's running for Lt Gov and he just moves out just like that? What candidate DOES that right AFTER they've just announced his running for gov. I guess this town only has reporters that show up at group news conferences. No one is doing any profiles on Jim or David.

And Veronica is all concerned about the 'staff' hearing them argue -- but in all the times Jim, then Jeffery has rung their doorbell no member of the 'staff' has answered the door. Where is this invisible staff? 

-- Amanda's gun shop visit. Was that gun shop guy dumb or what.. "Would it go through a professor?" If someone really walking in like she did talking like she did -- especially in this day-and-age -- would the shop guy still sell her the gun -- or come up with an excuse to get her out of there, because he's not selling a gun to this crazy chick...who has all but said she wants to shoot someone with it. The gun will be traceable to the SHOP -- idiot!

-- The chick who likes Benny. Yeah what's the point that whole scene her whole character complete filler. Totally unnecessary -- AND it went on waaaayy to long.

-- Celine SHOULD go as a character, and I wish she would. EXCEPT that TP said last year we'd see MORE of Celine -- AND her home life this season. PLEASE GOD NO! Tyler, we don't need Celine. BUT IF you keep her -- just keep her AS SHE IS NOW.  A superfluous, agitator, come-and-go character that's really on the very edges of the main action.

GOOD EXAMPLES: EVERY soap opera has this "extra' characters. on the "Young and the Restless" -- some actress played Katherine Chancellor's maid Ester for years. She MIGHT had had SOME involvement with some other extraneous or short-term character -- but I don't think she every had a main storyline. And she certainly never had much dialog when she was in a scene.

On "All My Children" (way back when) there was some old housekeeper who had raised Nina Courtland. Never had any plot involvement, other than over hearing something -- MAYBE. And the Character of MYRTLE -- she had a COUPLE of SECONDARY story lines over the decades. Other than that she was just a second tier character the sort of 'filled out the cast." HOWEVER -- FANS LOVED her so they didn't just let the character go. AND the Character had a back story that they could manipulate depending on how they wanted a MAIN storyline to go. BUT no one I know LIKES CELINE. They WANT her to go. So, BYE!

Edited by selhars
  • Love 1

That Veronica can hide a car with LoJack or OnStar is ridiculous to me. She just covered it with a blue tarp and its cloaked from detection? Is this some sort if Lord of the Rings cloak?

Why wouldn't Jeffrey be able to make the call to OnStar and say hey, I can't remember where I parked my car.

And I still cannot get over when Benny was moved to a new hospital with no notice to Hannah. Hannah went to get coffee and they had moved his body, scrubbed the room and removed all traces of him and she just knew her son was dead. Lawd God No!! Did she even ask a nurse where the patient in room 313 went? A patient who is the victim of a high profile crime is moved just like that?

Ok TP

Celine SHOULD go as a character, and I wish she would. EXCEPT that TP said last year we'd see MORE of Celine -- AND her home life this season. PLEASE GOD NO! Tyler, we don't need Celine. BUT IF you keep her -- just keep her AS SHE IS NOW.  A superfluous, agitator, come-and-go character that's really on the very edges of the main action.

My problem with Celine is that she's a one-note, poorly fleshed-out character on a show that's already rife with one-note, poorly-fleshed out characters. At this point I think Celine, Amanda, and Wyatt could be portrayed by cardboard cutouts or sock puppets and it wouldn't hurt the show a bit.

Celine's singular purpose has been to sashay in for a few minutes to snipe at Jim, Katherine, or Hannah. Two of those people are her employers and one was her supervisor. Why is she allowed this kind of leeway? IMO, there is a huge, gaping hole in the development of Celine as a character.

On regular soaps, the resident bitch serves to provoke the lead characters and help instigate primary storylines. Plus, the audience is usually given a reason behind the nasty behavior. All Celine does is spew venom with impunity and then everyone carries on with their lives like she's just some yapping purse dog that doesn't really need to be taken seriously.

I think it's ridiculous that this far into the show we still don't know what her effing deal is other than she and Jim had an affair back in the day, he moved on but she didn't, and apparently she's getting paid to pretend like she's a maid. Why should anyone care?

• Love 3

One of the biggest WTF moment was when Hannah was arrested without knowing why she was arrested. They even acknowledged on the show that she was supposed to be informed about this before being arrested, and then just drop.  This would have been given with her Miranda rights, which they also didn't give her.  Good luck holding Hannah for anything.

Also, when the United States is plagued with people with mental issues getting a hold of guns and killing people, especially at schools, a person would actually sell a gun to Amanda, who specifically asked if this gun would be effective in killing a professor?  Unlikely.

• Love 2

Speaking of the Professor, is he still running through the park with that knife in the back?

Naw, he drove himself down to Fancy White Folks Memorial Center for Excellence (FWFMCE) and got patched up. He's gotta be in good health for when Amanda comes after him with her gun.

• Love 2
(edited)

^^ That is one of the funniest lines I've ever read online anywhere ever!

I know some viewers have said all good soap operas have great romantic couples or love stories.

But I have to say I am absolutely DREADING -- DREADING -- the loves scenes that seems to be coming on this show.

I don't know whether it's the actors --and how bad they are -- or they awful way the characters have been written so far. 

But the promo we've seen of Hannah and the cop getting close -- yuk!...and the hint they've given us that David and Maggie's scenes may go in that direction....do NOTHING FOR ME.

Actually I do know what it is....It's one thing for TP to mess up what he's done so far with plot lines. Because it's all be 'dramatic' I accept it but can still 'hate watch.' But bad loves scenes -- and bad sex scene and attempts at ROMANCE -- with bad writing and bad acting are much more PAINFUL to watch.

Bad drama brings out the snark -- you can't believe how bad it is...it's a train wreck you can't stop watching.

But....bad romance/love/sex scenes -- personally -- make me wince -- and want to turn away and CHANGE THE CHANNEL...because I don't want to even SEE that. Because they're not only bad -- they're revolting. (IMO)

Edited by selhars
(edited)

Maybe we'll get a true treat and Candace will instruct Jeffrey on how to have gay sex. He's already proven to be ignorant in the ways of the homosexual male when he needed coaching by her in the club.

Sexy times indeed.

Edited by Brooklynista
(edited)

Does any one really think - from what we've seen so far -- that TP even has anything even CLOSE to the ability to write for great love interests....OR that these actors have the ability to pull off being a great love romantic couple such as:

-- One Life to Live's Vicky and Joe or Vicki and Clint

-- Young and the Restless' Victor and Nikki

-- Days of Our Lives' Roman and Marlena or Bo and Hope, or Doug and Julie

-- General Hospital's Tony and Tanya or Luke and Laura 

-- All My Children's Cliff and Nina, Greg and Jenny, Angie and Jessie, Tad and Dixie, Noah and Julia, Dimitri and Erica

-- Guiding Light's Josh and Reva

(I know that if you're too young you may not know these couples, all these couples go back to the 1980's-1990's. That's when I STOPPED watching soap daytime operas. Looking back on it I can't believe I was EVER hooked on that nonsense. UGH)

I'd rather TP STAY AWAY from romance all together -- than subject us to something that's even more unwatchable than what we've seen.

Again -- bad drama is one thing...bad romance is a visceral turn off. I honestly do think those two kinds of writing affect viewers differently. Viewers will keep tuning in to snark at bad drama-- but bad romantic writing and none actors with no chemistry would turn viewers OFF from watching in the first place. I just think they won't accept badly written love interests the way they are willing to suffer through other kinds of bad plot lines.

TP Romantic Dialog:

--Man : I love you   ..... -- Woman: What?

-- Man: I love you ........-- Woman: What do you mean "I love you. You love me?"

-- Man: I love you ....... -- Woman: I don't know what you're talking about. What love?

-- Man: Are you going to deny you love me too? ........-- Woman: I never said "I love you"

-- Man: What about the way we've been looking at each other?" ....Woman: "What about that?"

(thank GD at that point the scene is then interrupted by Celine or Candace to put us AND THE ACTORS out of our collective misery))

Edited by selhars
  • Love 2

There was a rumor floating around last season that there was a Jim/Celine offspring in the mix, which would explain why Celine can ask Jim if he'd like a cup of coffee ten times an episode.

With a name like Mama Rose I keep on expecting a rollicking version of "Everything's Coming Up Roses".

(edited)
Jim proclaims his son's innocence; Quincy pays Hanna a surprise visit in search of Candace.

Amanda playing with her gun--and Jeffrey--in this episode was sheer comedy gold.  Between that and Quincy the uber-stereotypical and emotionless robot thug, this was probably the funniest episode in some time...

Edited by Bill C.

Over Brain dead Ben speakin in full sentences? "Don't be talking crazy to my momma!" What did he say?

I'm headed to the office now where I'll have to talk to women who think this shit is Emmy worthy.

I just have so many questions

If every member of the Cryer house hates Celine, why is she still there? Have they never heard of no-shows jobs?

What kind of psychosis does Amanda suffer from? Giggleitis?

And how does a parent hear their once committed daughter has purchased a gun and is making death threats says "Meh, I'll go see her tomorrow".

Candace...don't care. Kill her or dont.

Quincy? Yeah whatever. And I seriously do not care where that baby is.

(edited)

Scenes I have no words for (in a bad way):

-- Amanda-Jeffrery with the gun scene in the apartment 

-- Mama Rose Criminal therapy session with Candace -- showing her "the cement box"

-- Hannah in the hospital with Tony when Benny starts to arouse

-- Hannah and the would-be cop boyfriend hugging and looking nervous;y into each others eyes(I haven't even bothered to remember his name)

Do you think TP can't write love scenes......or that these actors can't ACT romance....or BOTH?

I think it's both. And it's BAD. Just leave romance out of this show. 

Oh, yeah...David checks into the hotel where his campaign team is staying -- and Maggie just happens to see him check in?

But no reporters saw it? No reporters have sources to get tips on these gubernatorial candidates?

Please.... the line about lint from bad sheets in a hotel....any hotel THEY'd be staying in would have the BEST SHEETS, no? So the line about Veronica wouldn't have that quality sheets on her bed...makes NO SENSE! But what DOES on this show?

Edited by selhars

The scene w Amanda and Jeffrey pUT me right back into the scene of Sheree and Marlo arguing in Africa.

The parroting back and forth was comical then and it was downright ridiculous last night.

Is Tyler really watching these scenes from his directors chair saying "Yes! Perfect!"?

Where's Oprah? Sometimes to be a true friend you have to let folks know when their shit stinks.

(edited)

Isn't this OWN's highest-rated night time show?

If it is then enough people are watching so -- from OWN's point of view the show is working....and if it ain't broke -- there's nothing to fix. Who needs quality -- when people are watching NON-quality?

I don't know WHAT kind of horribly low numbers OWN must be getting as a whole.

Even on TWoP, I'd post about Super Soul Sunday -- a great thought-provoking show -- and get NO comments.

I'd post about Next Chapter -- or whatever Oprah's own celeb interview show was -- and get NO comments.

Even TP's shows would get NO comments.

Lisa Ling's "Our America" is a decent docu series -- again -- NO comments.

So I think hardly anybody is watching the network as a whole.

When no one is commenting on Iyalna Vanzant's "Fix my Life" -- a GREAT show to comment on....you have to wonder just how many people are watching. SO if TP is bringing in ANY numbers.....why would  someone say...this show is CRAP!

Edited by selhars
  • Love 1

There have been a few allusions to that, AIUI, but nobody's flat out confirmed it.  (Yet.)

And while watching last night's episode (at long last?) it finally sunk in: this show isn't shot and staged as a TV show.  It's shot and staged as a play, and a deliberately slow-paced one at that...no doubt partly so TP can do it on the ultracheap and, I suspect, partly since that's where he started out and tends to flit back and forth from even now.

Isn't this OWN's highest-rated night time show?

If it is then enough people are watching so -- from OWN's point of view the show is working....and if it ain't broke -- there's nothing to fix. Who needs quality -- when people are watching NON-quality?

I don't know WHAT kind of horribly low numbers OWN must be getting as a whole.

Even on TWoP, I'd post about Super Soul Sunday -- a great thought-provoking show -- and get NO comments.

I'd post about Next Chapter -- or whatever Oprah's own celeb interview show was -- and get NO comments.

Even TP's shows would get NO comments.

Lisa Ling's "Our America" is a decent docu series -- again -- NO comments.

So I think hardly anybody is watching the network as a whole.

When no one is commenting on Iyalna Vanzant's "Fix my Life" -- a GREAT show to comment on....you have to wonder just how many people are watching. SO if TP is bringing in ANY numbers.....why would  someone say...this show is CRAP!

Fair point--there's almost no such thing as bad publicity for a cable netlet, after all.  Although in this case the bar is so relatively low it probably skews comparisons slightly...

Golf claps to TP. Did not see that angle coming with Jim and the car with the faked VIN. But what's to keep Veronica from producing the real car which probably has Wyatt and the victims' DNA on it? Meanwhile, nice how Jim managed to wear a tie that matched his campaign posters. He has much better sartorial sense than his wife.

Hannah called the police on her cell phone and she didn't give them her address. How were the police to know where to find her?

Maggie the Cat is about as subtle as a runaway freight train carrying nuclear waste. She looked ready to mount David right there in the campaign office. Or is she just testing him to see if he's susceptible to campaign-killing temptation?

Kudos to TP for making a very timely statement on how easy it is for mentally ill people to buy guns. Too bad he had to make it in such a clownish, over-the-top way. But geez, Jim values his political career more than the possibility or Amanda killing somebody? While he's again insisting that he's handling it, handling it, handling it, she could be shooting up the nearest shopping mall.

Wow, Candace's hair and makeup look fabulous for someone who's been held hostage in a dank basement for a couple of days.

Benny may not be brain-dead but I don't know how he isn't going to be brain-damaged after being in a coma for so long. And he probably didn't have IQ points to spare before the accident.

Wait. Was Celine implying that she has a son with Jim?

Yeah, she probably was. That's likely what the payments to her are all about: hush money/child support. Not sure why the Cryers have to keep her on at the mansion pretending like she's working. I hope we're not going to find out that the kid lives there too.

It's shot and staged as a play, and a deliberately slow-paced one at that...no doubt partly so TP can do it on the ultracheap and, I suspect, partly since that's where he started out and tends to flit back and forth from even now.

The show did in fact begin as a play, but with an entirely different cast and a slightly different storyline. TP doesn't seem to understand that a play has different beats and tempo than a TV show and that there's not a direct transport from stage to TV or film. However, he probably assumes that the audience has been largely weaned on his stage productions and already has low expectations.

I imagine he knows what he's doing (considering that monster "written for the screen, produced, [something] and directed by..." credit)...and doesn't care.

Kudos to TP for making a very timely statement on how easy it is for mentally ill people to buy guns. Too bad he had to make it in such a clownish, over-the-top way. But geez, Jim values his political career more than the possibility or Amanda killing somebody? While he's again insisting that he's handling it, handling it, handling it, she could be shooting up the nearest shopping mall.

Fortuitous (so to speak) timing, considering when the show was likely filmed.  I thought it was kind of sledgehammery myself, but that's not entirely uncommon...and then, yeah, they went and buried it under the sentiment that It's All About Wyatt And Amanda Can Wait.  And that actually pissed me the hell off, since it applied to everybody (even Jeffrey, if not to the same degree as Jim and Katheryn).  I think I'd almost applaud the show if they take this all the way and let Amanda kill, or at least clip, Professor Rapist...then again, they'd drag the aftermath out so much it'd piss us off all over again.

Is Jeffrey half out of the closet or what?  Every time a gay guy comes on to him he acts repulsed. Maybe he's just saving himself for Wyatt, his one true love. The actor who plays him sucks and the entire series sucks but I can't tear myself away from one single episode. I will admit I think David is HOT! Kinda reminds me of Lionel Ritchie only better looking and Dukes of Hazzard Jim is hot, too, for an older guy. He has aged well. 

The county hospital being some understaffed hell hole that can't properly diagnose when someone is brain dead or not, pisses me off every week.

It's like TP has never lived in the real world.  Maybe he should ask Emmitt how things work.

I never understood that either; the apparent only indicators that the county hospital was a pit were tells from Reverend Batman, that one girl's father, Katheryn, and Hanna.  It looked like a typical TV hospital.

Benny finally awakens from his coma.

...and the very first thing he wants to do after this "miracle" (even the doctor called it that!) is find Darlene the nurse, who apparently was singing to him while he was out and doting on him and barf.

On the other hand, Jim finally got stone cold ruthless; the man forces Candace to basically sign away all the shit she's stirred up against him (and her car!), and then tells Mama Rose to kill her anyway.  Which obviously won't happen, but it was good to see him be all the villain he can be.  Considering everything Candace has stirred up...in soap terms, she had it coming.

By the same token: Wyatt with his guilt and angst is probably behaving more like a traditional daytime soap character right now than anybody else on the show except probably I-want-that-dark-chocolate Maggie.  To his detriment, of course, but still.

And as for Amanda letting Quincy the cyborg thug into her apartment...yeah, go ahead and fix him a plate too.  He seems legit.

• Love 1
(edited)

I didn't watch. And don't know that I will come back. I just don't know that I want to reward this junk with my time anymore. We'll see.

I just find myself asking WHY am I watching this? At least for last night. It wasn't worth my time. I surfed the net, and watch HSN and QVC.

I will say, that from the promos, you couldn't tell whether Maggie wanted David....OR was testing him to see if he had the same weakness Jim had with the ladies...which would jeopardize the campaign. ONE philanderer per campaign she could handle but not two. Also I really don't want to see David DUMB enough -- and WEAK enough -- to fall for her.

And I expected that the Jim Candace scene would be to painful to watch -- in a bad way.

Edited by selhars