Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
nodorothyparker

S10.E08: The World Before

On 12/2/2019 at 11:34 PM, heisenberg said:

Why not use vegetable oil to run diesels?

Because they could get Maggie’s big assed tractor up and running to go and squash Elpha’s horde, that’s far too sensible an option for the show.  🚜

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 3

12 hours ago, xaxat said:

Probably the parking brake. Totally mechanical.

Don’t you just say Whoa? That’s the limit to my Horse whispering skills. 🐴
I’m just waiting for Eugene to fit big pedals to them a la Bugsy Malone.

B7DDBC7E-99EE-48B7-84B3-CE335B612B13.jpeg

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Why not use vegetable oil to run diesels?

Where would they even get the vegetable oil? Do they have a stockpile of Wesson or are they milking the vegetables themselves?

• Laugh 4

And where did Daryl get the makings for whatever he was smoking? Is he cultivating his own tobacco crop? Or maybe it's not tobacco and he found something else to smoke?

• Like 3
  • Laugh 4

16 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

And where did Daryl get the makings for whatever he was smoking? Is he cultivating his own tobacco crop? Or maybe it's not tobacco and he found something else to smoke?

Maybe that’s why Bayda’s in a bad mood all the time, he’s not getting High any more, I can picture him and Negan passing it around the camp fire, with that big plate of worms to take care of the munchies 🐛

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

16 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

A country boy will survive.  If we can twist or roll it up then we can smoke it - and if not, then by god we’ll just fry it up and eat it.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 5

On 12/2/2019 at 6:34 PM, heisenberg said:

-Why not using electric cars and charge them with solar?

electric car batteries last about 8 years so those would be dead by now in the ZA.  Also, their flashlight batteries should start failing within a couple years.

Speaking of timelines, the turncoat doctor's timeline doesn't make a lot of sense but it's a little easier to swallow when I remember that the whisperers have been around for somewhere between 8 months to a year - Rosita had just learned she was pregnant around the time they showed up and her baby is now a few months old.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

On 11/27/2019 at 6:49 AM, OoohMaggie said:

come on AH, I’ve been waiting for you to put this over Baldy’s chase scene, that’d make 2, both involving Daryl 😂

It doesn't get much better than Benny Hill's Yakety Sex Sax music.

On 12/2/2019 at 6:09 PM, xaxat said:

Probably the parking brake. Totally mechanical.

I suppose that is better than the Fred Flintstone approach of using his two feet.

On 12/3/2019 at 7:35 PM, AngelaHunter said:

I was thinking that he was probably smoking oregano or some other herb.

On re-watch, there must have been a hole in the floor or some sort of trapdoor in that cave that Beta jumped over, while everyone else fell through.   Then Daryl ends up falling through with a knife in each hand.  I don't know how he didn't cut himself.

I don't think any of them have a rope, and I don't think I have seen anyone carry a flashlight this season.  A walkie talkie might be useful if they had one.  But given the protagonists current location, they might not be able to use one anyway given that they are below ground level in a cave.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I was thinking that he was probably smoking oregano or some other herb.

Isn't tobacco pretty common in Virginia?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rab01 said:

It is, but someone has to plant and tend the crop, pick the leaves and dry them, etc. I can see someone suggesting, "Gee, we're getting awfully hungry here. Let's plant that prime acre there with beans/beets/corn", e.g. and Daryl pipes up, "NO, I need that patch for my tabaccy crop." 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

12 hours ago, rab01 said:

Tobacco grew wild throughout the Americas and was being used by the indigenous folk centuries before Europeans “discovered” it.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

15 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

It is, but someone has to plant and tend the crop, pick the leaves and dry them, etc. I can see someone suggesting, "Gee, we're getting awfully hungry here. Let's plant that prime acre there with beans/beets/corn", e.g. and Daryl pipes up, "NO, I need that patch for my tabaccy crop." 

I suppose he could have been smoking basil since it is a companion plant for tomatoes, and we all know how those from Alexandria love their tomatoes.  Given the size of that place, their cornfield and tomato garden are incredibly small given the numbers they have to feed.

I would have expected them to plant high yield vegetables with long shelf lives like potatoes, turnips, winter squash, and onions.  Tomatoes don't have a long shelf life unless they are canned.   They could also dry beans for winter time use.

Apples can be held for long term storage.  I don't recall seeing any apple trees or anyone eating apples.

Once Daryl runs out of rolling papers, he would probably have to use Connie's endless supply of little notepads.

Once everyone fell on to that ledge inside that cave, it seemed to be incredibly bright, probably so the viewers could see what was going on.  I assume it is pitch black for the protagonists since they ran into a dark cave before they fell.   I have no clue where any light would be coming from.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 2

On 12/5/2019 at 9:35 PM, rab01 said:

electric car batteries last about 8 years so those would be dead by now in the ZA.  Also, their flashlight batteries should start failing within a couple years.

Not true. 

Toyota made a program to take back old batteries of their Prius and the program is not active...  You know why?  Because 2008-2009 Prius batteries are still active.  Same for some  Tesla with 1 000 000 km.  A car batterie is not something that will stop working a certain day.  It just decrease slowy from charging at 100% to 98-90- 80% over time given the abuse (overcharging or totaly draining it).

When a car batterie doesn't keep a charge enough to be used on the road they are recycled to be wall battery in a house and are able to be used for an other 20 years.

For TWD it is different.  If the batteries are new and have been left fully charged in their packaging without anything nearby to drain them they will work, even if they just have 10-20% left when you unpack them.  The chemicals will still react to the charge and are going to be good to go.  

For cars it all depends how they have been left,  if they have been empty for a while and the chemicals fade away they won't work.  If there are still a little charge in it, it will work like new.

Edited by heisenberg
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

21 hours ago, heisenberg said:

Not true. 

Toyota made a program to take back old batteries of their Prius and the program is not active...  You know why?  Because 2008-2009 Prius batteries are still active.  Same for some  Tesla with 1 000 000 km.  A car batterie is not something that will stop working a certain day.  It just decrease slowy from charging at 100% to 98-90- 80% over time given the abuse (overcharging or totaly draining it).

When a car batterie doesn't keep a charge enough to be used on the road they are recycled to be wall battery in a house and are able to be used for an other 20 years.

For TWD it is different.  If the batteries are new and have been left fully charged in their packaging without anything nearby to drain them they will work, even if they just have 10-20% left when you unpack them.  The chemicals will still react to the charge and are going to be good to go.  

For cars it all depends how they have been left,  if they have been empty for a while and the chemicals fade away they won't work.  If there are still a little charge in it, it will work like new.

...at which point your critical bind becomes maintaining a functional charging system.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

8 hours ago, Nashville said:

...at which point your critical bind becomes maintaining a functional charging system.

Yes, or learn how to mix chemicals to remake a battery.  If you can empty the cells of an existing one and put back some acid, etc...  It willl work.

It is what I miss the most from this show (and others),  being clever with knowledge and science. 

Let's say, like if they were working to bring back to life an electric dam and power a village doing so, it would be a good thing to follow. 

Doctors doing biopsy to walkers to learn what they are would also be interesting.

But ninja stuff seems more important.

That's me.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, heisenberg said:

Doctors doing biopsy to walkers to learn what they are would also be interesting.

The only time we saw anything approaching this was at Woodbury with Milton. Oh, and at the CDC  Place that Shall Not be Named.

Doctors have very short lifespans on this show. In fact I don't think there is a single one left.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

The only time we saw anything approaching this was at Woodbury with Milton. Oh, and at the CDC  Place that Shall Not be Named.

Doctors have very short lifespans on this show. In fact I don't think there is a single one left.

I know,  But for example just imagine if one of them found out that if you grow lemons they desintagrate when they pass by them?😄

• Laugh 3

26 minutes ago, heisenberg said:

I know,  But for example just imagine if one of them found out that if you grow lemons they desintagrate when they pass by them?😄

HABANEROS!!!  THE SECRET IS HABANEROS!!!

• Laugh 2

16 hours ago, heisenberg said:

Let's say, like if they were working to bring back to life an electric dam and power a village doing so, it would be a good thing to follow. 

The Dam idea was good enough for Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, I can see where TWD team have been getting their influences, Caesar / Elpha, eating grubs and shittin’ in the woods, I think Koba  makes a great Bayda!

5B6F2069-51FB-4411-AB63-325D99CC15A0.jpeg

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Laugh 2

1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

I think Koba  makes a great Bayda!

It's actually "Beta", y'know, to her "Alpha" cuz size really does NOT matter.  Not to be nit-picky or anything.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Like 1

I made the mistake of watching this episode again.

All of those books in the library, and those clowns still didn't have enough brains to strip the library clean and bring the books back home.   There is so much knowledge in that library that they could have used.   I am sure there were books on survival and leadership skills.

I have been bitching about that for years, that they should take back all of the books they can find.  And that library looked like it was full of books.

I know it is unlikely to happen, but they need to find a way to get rid of Judith.   I can't stand that little obnoxious snot.  Everything she does when it comes to fighting as well as helping others does nothing but make the other protagonists look bad.

Plus, as I have said before she, has very little reach.  Any adult or walker could easily kill her off in any confrontation.  She isn't the least bit nimble (agile).

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

am sure there were books on survival and leadership skills.

I definitely saw a volume on chimney maintenance and how to build a fire without gassing yourselves. 🙄

• Laugh 5

On 12/26/2019 at 7:02 AM, OoohMaggie said:

I definitely saw a volume on chimney maintenance and how to build a fire without gassing yourselves. 🙄

If they are eating a lot of onions and dried beans in the winter months, they would be gassing themselves anyway at their annual winter meeting of the "Pull My Finger" convention.

I have visions of Nagen running around lighting farts.

I can't believe Michonne actually trusts the music man (Luke) to bring Judith back to Alexandria safely.  Michonne should bring Judith back to Alexandria and then go on the boat ride.

I don't like the way Michone twisted the arm of that stranger in an effort to take him to his weapons stash.  I hope the weapons don't exist.

Eugene has the ability to make all of the weapons they need, but for whatever reason the writers have made Eugene absolutely useless, and a sopping wet emotional mess when it comes to his "love" life.  I guess in the ZA, they don't have phone sex, they have CB sex.

If it wasn't for Eugene's CB pal, he would still be pining for Rosita.  Now that Siddig is dead and Gabriel is preoccupied with guilt for not screening Dante properly before allowing him into Alexandria, that basically leaves Rosita with no love interest at all.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

On 12/26/2019 at 5:23 AM, icemiser69 said:

All of those books in the library, and those clowns still didn't have enough brains to strip the library clean and bring the books back home.   There is so much knowledge in that library that they could have used.   I am sure there were books on survival and leadership skills.

largepreview.png

• Laugh 5

nodorothyparker

Mod Note:  This thread is for discussion of the episode only.  If you didn't see it happen onscreen, discussion of it does not belong here and your post WILL be removed.  DO NOT DISCUSS CASTING NEWS, including reported cast comings and goings.   We have separate threads for discussing spoilers or the comics.