Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: The World Before

Message added by nodorothyparker

Mod Note:  This thread is for discussion of the episode only.  If you didn't see it happen onscreen, discussion of it does not belong here and your post WILL be removed.  DO NOT DISCUSS CASTING NEWS, including reported cast comings and goings.   We have separate threads for discussing spoilers or the comics.  

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, heisenberg said:

No need to learn anything when you live in the flintstones era,  just practice with a wooden stick and youre all covered.

I would respect her more if she did practice with a stick. Instead she immediately gets a tiny sword that will no doubt magically grow with her just like Coral's Hat. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Iguessnot said:

I realize I have a complete inability to listen to Luke. Even though I hate that they won't allow Eugene to speak normally after all these years, I at least listen enough to get the jist of what he's saying. However with Luke my brain hits the mute button. I couldn't tell you one thing he and Judith were talking about. What I do know is that Michonne said they all needed to be very quiet in case there was a scout around, then those two immediately began yapping about nonsense at full volume and no one batted an eye.

Well, she obviously didn't mean it. If she wanted them to be quiet that badly, she would have spent five minutes doing a screaming Rick grimes speech about it.

• LOL 9

Agreed but it's why I think she makes such a good villain.  It's kind of a common theme on this show, the bad guys are all creepy / annoying, sometimes close to cartoon-like in their menacing ways, except they always retain the creep factor enough to be actually pretty scary if you think about meeting them in real life.  The Governor, Gareth (Terminus), Negan, now Alpha.

The difference is that I understood the Governor, and Gareth, and even Negan. They made sense. I understood why people followed and/or obeyed them, and what their ideology was, and why people followed it. I mean, I absolutely hated the Saviors, and the entire story arc was so badly written, and Jeffrey Dean Morgan is an over-the-top scenery chewer, but I understood why the Saviors existed, how they existed, and what they were doing. 

Nothing about the Whisperers makes sense. Nothing. The idea they can "fool" walkers into thinking they're one of them simply by wearing dried out dead skin masks contradicts everything we've learned about walkers in nine seasons. Alpha is a cartoon villain that just comes off as silly with her fake southern accent and bald head. I can think of no compelling reason anyone would follow her or buy into her crazy ideology.

The Whisperers just seem like something that only works in comic book form. They're visually creepy, at first anyway. Once you take a closer look they just seem ridiculous and make no sense. They wouldn't be a threat to anyone. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

I can get Michonne wanting to go and explore this island camp and see if they have any supplies and would be open to an alliance, but...couldn't someone else go who doesent have two young child counting on them? There are tons of people around between the three major settlements, I am sure that someone else would have been happy to go and check these people out, including many who Michonne trusts. I know that she has to run off to new show island, but I wish they could have had a better reason for her to go. Come on girl, dont micromanage, feel free to delegate these things! Thats half of the fun of leadership!

These Whispers people must be seriously brainwashed if Alpha can keep people loyal to her and her camping trip from hell when they have such better options right there. "Yes, I want you to infiltrate this camp of people who will save your life and be super nice and welcoming to you, who are totes really awful and our enemy, where you will get actual real food, shelter, fun times, safety, and people that actually speak in complete sentences, where you dont have to wear rotting flesh on your face, mess with their shit, and then come back to me to amble outside in the woods more with dead people skin all over you while eating raccoon feces or whatever!" Really, one of the big issue I am having with the Whispers now is overexposure. What made them creepy when they were first introduced was that they were spooky and mysterious and bizarre, and seemed to have this almost alien way of looking at the world, that these were people that really had lost their minds in the wake of the ZA and had given up their humanity and become what had destroyed the world in an attempt to cope. They could be anywhere and could attack at any time, and we had no real idea what their deal was. Well, now we know what their deal is, and its just some weird murder cult where people hang around in the woods wearing dead people masks, which really makes them a lot less mysterious and creepy. When we keep cutting back to them and their day to day operations, not only do we have to ask more logistical questions (so where do they even get these clothes from? How do they keep their numbers up?) that we might not if we didnt know much about them, they just lose the creep factor that made them interesting and unique bad guys in the first place! I can be scared of a swarm of crazy people hiding in a horde of Walkers that could stop moaning and stab me at any second, its harder to be scared of a bunch of random people just standing around doing laundry in a stream while wearing Party City masks. 

It sucks that Gabriel had to be the one to do it, as its really going to cause him a lot of angst, but I cant say I am not happy that he took Dante out before it turns into a whole big thing about what to do with him, like he apparently wanted. I was not looking forward to listening to his Into to Philosophy "I just read Friedrich Nietzsche" bullshit for an entire season. His whole speech about how people suck doesent even work, all he proved was that HIS people suck. The heads on pikes incident doesn't say anything about the greater human condition or that people are all such assholes, it says that the Whispers are assholes and need to be taken down!

I can get that Carol is Darryl's best friend, the last member of the original group still left, and the person who gets him the most, but he needs to stop enabling her. He did at least call out her death seeking tendencies, but he needs to stop following her into this stuff. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
43 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

How do they keep their numbers up?)

So, Alpha kills babies if they cry = all babies cry= therefore all babies are killed. Alpha kills anyone who has an opinion, questions her or does something she doesn't like. In the years they've been wandering around their population must have shrunk drastically. A little more of Alpha's leadership and they will be extinct.

I can't even be bothered thinking about how putting on a decayed face protects them from walkers, even when they're talking, eating and sleeping because it's just too dumb.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
54 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I can get Michonne wanting to go and explore this island camp and see if they have any supplies and would be open to an alliance, but...couldn't someone else go who doesent have two young child counting on them?

In contrast was Rosita, who said she had to be more conscious of her actions now so that Coco didn't end up an orphan.  Cut to Michonne, who decides on a whim to follow some stranger to an island, basically leaving one kid standing there in her wake, and the other god knows where. 

Rosita was also smart enough to figure out what was going on with the Whisperer in time to protect her baby... unlike Sadiq, who had all kinds of qualms about this guy, but stood there with his back to him!

Rosita was the only one using her brain in this ep.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, alrightythen said:

Cut to Michonne, who decides on a whim to follow some stranger to an island, basically leaving one kid standing there in her wake, and the other god knows where. 

Reminds me of when Ricky and Michonne went on their little road trip, drinking beer, having snacks and gettin' it on while Carl and Judith remained in Alexandria where a murderous, psycho sex offender (Negan) was coming to call and commit mayhem any time he felt like it. The kids? "Oh, they'll be fine. Gimme another beer."

2 hours ago, alrightythen said:

She has never been a favorite of mine, but in this you are 100% right. I bet she wouldn't go sailing off with some total stranger about whom she knows nothing and leave her kid. What are these writers thinking?

• Love 9
On 11/25/2019 at 7:25 PM, LadyMustang65 said:

Can someone please refresh my memory?  Where did Aaron's kid come from?  I do not remember when or where he picked her up at all.

The answer is over on the spoiler / spec page, I’m trying to work out how to put a link in 🙄

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Reminds me of when Ricky and Michonne went on their little road trip, drinking beer, having snacks and gettin' it on while Carl and Judith remained in Alexandria where a murderous, psycho sex offender (Negan) was coming to call and commit mayhem any time he felt like it. The kids? "Oh, they'll be fine. Gimme another beer."

15 hours ago, alrightythen said:

🤣

come on AH, I’ve been waiting for you to put this over Baldy’s chase scene, that’d make 2, both involving Daryl 😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I'm so lost on this whisperers timeline. Things we know: Eugene & Rosita were being "hunted" by whisperers for some reason. Presumably bc they "crossed into their land"? IDK anymore.  Whisperers don't seem to need anything from anyone and live a spartan existence,  feasting on worms. So, why hunt people. THEN the Lydia crossover to be with our protagonists' group happened. Now it was a real "beef" with Hilltop, et al. So WHEN/WHY did Dante get sent to Alexandria to become a trusted physician within this time!? Who were the "group" he joined to gain access to Alexandria? Do our protagonists take in everyone and anyone and from where do these people come since the fall of the sanctuary? I'd believe not that many wanderers are out there by now.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kdawg82 said:

So WHEN/WHY did Dante get sent to Alexandria to become a trusted physician within this time!? Who were the "group" he joined to gain access to Alexandria?

I rewatched that part last night thought I didn't recognize any of the people who came in with him but I couldn't be sure. Yeah, who were they? Were they questioned the way Dante was?

5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't know why being quiet is a big issues when they are being pulled around by horses. 

Pulled by horses in a big, gutted, rattly car. Even so, I swear that Luke is worse than a kid.

3 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

come on AH, I’ve been waiting for you to put this over Baldy’s chase scene,

NO.😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Dante's timeline is dependent on a lot of things falling into place at just the right time to work.  Alpha mentions in the opening that Lydia doesn't know him, which means he likely didn't join the group until sometime after she'd already been taken in by our communities.  Yet he has such immediate loyalty to the Whisperer credo that he can be trusted to infiltrate Alexandria and not be swayed by the fact that he could live reasonably comfortably as a person of some authority there.   He's told to go out and find another group of survivors to blend in with first and then be taken into Alexandria with.  So of course there just happens to be another non corpse-wearing handful of people camping out in this random stretch of woods within distance of established communities right then sometime around 11 years after the ZA began and presumably most noncrazy survivors have settled in somewhere.  Dante lucks out as not one of them thinks to mention during their intake at Alexandria that hey, we just met this guy in the woods five minutes ago and don't actually know him.  He lucks out again as Alexandria, despite knowing that it's under assault from murderous weirdos who use stealth as their primary weapon and that aside from Alpha don't have any idea what any of these people look like, doesn't seem to have taken any extra precautions at all to try to not let said weirdos through their gates.

NOTHING about the Whisperer credo makes sense and we're not given any explanation at all beyond the suggestion that they're some nihilistic cult run by at least one former mental patient.  Daryl in one of his first scenes after the big time jump mentions that he's noticed the walkers acting weird in ways that we now know is a result of being herded.  So they've probably been around for awhile, but up until the point of the Eugene-Rosita chase that eventually results in Jesus being killed, they're not really hurting anyone but themselves if they want to live out in the woods like feral animals.  Somewhere in there, though, Alpha has these people who don't have homes or any of what most Americans would consider basic necessities convinced to go on murder sprees against other people who haven't done anything to them, allegedly over land rights.  How?  Oh who knows.  We're told "she doesn't give them a choice" and "uses people" and we get a few scenes of her whipping or gutting anyone who disagree with her or disappoint her and never mind how easy it would be for any of them to say fuck this shit, I'm slipping out to go live where I can take a shower.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 11
3 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

Alpha mentions in the opening that Lydia doesn't know him, which means he likely didn't join the group until sometime after she'd already been taken in by our communities.  Yet he has such immediate loyalty to the Whisperer credo that he can be trusted to infiltrate Alexandria and not be swayed by the fact that he could live reasonably comfortably as a person of some authority there.   He's told to go out and find another group of survivors to blend in with first and then be taken into Alexandria with.  So of course there just happens to be another non corpse-wearing handful of people camping out in this random stretch of woods within distance of established communities right then sometime around 11 years after the ZA began and presumably most noncrazy survivors have settled in somewhere.  Dante lucks out as not one of them thinks to mention during their intake at Alexandria that hey, we just met this guy in the woods five minutes ago and don't actually know him.  He lucks out again as Alexandria, despite knowing that it's under assault from murderous weirdos who use stealth as their primary weapon and that aside from Alpha don't have any idea what any of these people look like, doesn't seem to have taken any extra precautions at all to try to not let said weirdos through their gates.

Thank you. It all makes perfect sense now.

face-palm-when-something-is-so-ridiculous-that-a-19415720.jpg

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I can get that Carol is Darryl's best friend, the last member of the original group still left, and the person who gets him the most, but he needs to stop enabling her. He did at least call out her death seeking tendencies, but he needs to stop following her into this stuff. 

It is a sad thing. They are the last two original members of CDB. If he keeps following and enabling her after this fiasco she got them into then nothing will make him give up the ship.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Thank you. It all makes perfect sense now.

face-palm-when-something-is-so-ridiculous-that-a-19415720.jpg

I'm pretty sure I was making this face when I was trying to suss all that out.

Someone said recently Tommy Lee Jones always looks like a parent just being told his newly adult kid is taking up riding a unicycle as a profession and now I can't unsee it.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

NO.😂

AH, I hate you for making me do that 😂, it’s my first attempt ever at trying one, rough as hell obviously but I shall spend the off season getting better, having to put it on YTube first was a bitch! 😭

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, alrightythen said:

Cut to Michonne, who decides on a whim to follow some stranger to an island, basically leaving one kid standing there in her wake, and the other god knows where. 

This is a perfect example of making a character behave like an idiot, after losing Rick, there’s no way in Hell that she’d leave her kids to pootle off on a little sailing adventure on her own. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

So WHEN/WHY did Dante get sent to Alexandria to become a trusted physician within this time!? Who were the "group" he joined to gain access to Alexandria?

The people he latched onto were a random, yet strategically placed? selection of red shirts, from the time  Lydia decided to join the Alexandrians, to when Dante finagled his way into the community using said Red Shirts, was approximately 2.8 months, so there would be no way that Lydia would have known about, or have seen Dante before.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

AH, I hate you for making me do that 😂, it’s my first attempt ever at trying one, rough as hell obviously but I shall spend the off season getting better, having to put it on YTube first was a bitch! 😭

Very good, especially for a first effort!! Necessity truly is the mother of invention.😄

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 11/26/2019 at 8:46 AM, Dodginblue said:

I guess it depends on what the alternatives were.  I'm supposing that being on your own in the ZA is not a good place to be, plus I think people are inherently social, beings, they look to join with others, so if you're out there alone or maybe with one or two others, and you're running out of ideas on how to stay alive when you meet Alpha and her crew, maybe it seems like a better alternative than continuing to go it alone. 

You start out thinking it will be temporary but then you get familiar with it, even if you aren't that comfortable, at least you're alive.  And you're afraid of her, afraid that you won't be able to get away clean.

I think people will put up with a lot of crap rather than face the unknown.  It might be hell but I know what to expect, that sort of thing.

That is exacly why I would go straight up to the Playboy mansion... To get familiar with it.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 11/26/2019 at 2:33 PM, tennisgurl said:

It sucks that Gabriel had to be the one to do it, as its really going to cause him a lot of angst, but I cant say I am not happy that he took Dante out before it turns into a whole big thing about what to do with him, like he apparently wanted.

I would not be surprised if he pays the price for this lack of morality,  next one to die?

I was not looking forward to listening to his Into to Philosophy "I just read Friedrich Nietzsche" bullshit for an entire season. His whole speech about how people suck doesent even work, all he proved was that HIS people suck.

After watching worst with Morgan in FTWD I could not agree more.

• Love 3
On 11/26/2019 at 3:22 PM, AngelaHunter said:

So, Alpha kills babies if they cry = all babies cry= therefore all babies are killed. Alpha kills anyone who has an opinion, questions her or does something she doesn't like. In the years they've been wandering around their population must have shrunk drastically. A little more of Alpha's leadership and they will be extinct.

I can't even be bothered thinking about how putting on a decayed face protects them from walkers, even when they're talking, eating and sleeping because it's just too dumb.

Don't forget Beta who does kill for sneezing besides him or being in a bad mood wich he always is.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I can get Michonne wanting to go and explore this island camp and see if they have any supplies and would be open to an alliance, but...couldn't someone else go who doesent have two young child counting on them?

Like Carol who came out of a big boat at the biginning of the serie?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Very good, especially for a first effort!! Necessity truly is the mother of invention.😄

Well they do say that if you want someone to learn how to swim, then throw them in the river, but that doesn’t take into account the Bullshit that you get from YouTube! Surviving either is indeed a badge of courage worthy of wearing 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

Well they do say that if you want someone to learn how to swim, then throw them in the river, but that doesn’t take into account the Bullshit that you get from YouTube! Surviving either is indeed a badge of courage worthy of wearing 😂

Congrats. YT is like TWD, in that they change the rules every day.

• LOL 1
On 11/26/2019 at 3:43 PM, alrightythen said:

In contrast was Rosita, who said she had to be more conscious of her actions now so that Coco didn't end up an orphan.  Cut to Michonne, who decides on a whim to follow some stranger to an island, basically leaving one kid standing there in her wake, and the other god knows where. 

Rosita was also smart enough to figure out what was going on with the Whisperer in time to protect her baby... unlike Sadiq, who had all kinds of qualms about this guy, but stood there with his back to him!

It's hard to believe that it's the same Michonne, the woman who coined the phrase 'stupid gets you killed'.  Someone should have yelled that at her as she sailed away with a man SHE JUST MET.

And I can't believe that RJ ranks so low on Michonne's list of important people.  Isn't he the product of THE GREATEST LOVE STORY OF ALL TIME?  Michonne fought like hell to bring RJ into the world and now she barely remember he exists?  I have no doubt that Michonne loves Judith but RJ is HER CHILD.  Just like the Peanut, RJ is forgotten and pushed aside.  Makes me wonder why.

If RJ is so easy to forget, I can't understand why she can barely mention Rick's name without tearing up.  Rick's been gone for YEARS.  Michonne is surrounded by some very nice looking men like the late-lamented, Henley wearing DJ and Sonequa's husband.  She should have taken a good look at one of those guys and said, 'Rick who?'

• Love 6

I too am tired of them making Carol so stupid.   Why not shoot Alpha with an arrow??   And Carol ran off first, everyone was behind her.  How did they all get trapped in the cave before Daryl got there?     And how did they know she went in there?   You know they will get out easily.   Why not kill Gabriel instead of Sidiqq?  Or Eugene?  Those two characters do nothing.  Of course most of the new ones do nothing.  I can't remember any names except Connie.  I stopped watching this show for a couple of years and then watched 9B and thought the Whisperers had promise but the writers have ruined that.  Time to stop again.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SharonH58 said:

And Carol ran off first, everyone was behind her.  How did they all get trapped in the cave before Daryl got there? 

Before watching the show, which I’ve only  just done, I was wondering if the whole cave incident was a dastardly plan by Elpha, but clearly it wasn’t, it was reliant upon pure chance and the combined stupidity of several experienced members of the communities. I loved the way that when Daryl fell into the abyss, the previous idiots were shown to be ‘just’ coming around from their fall, leaving them no time to shout out a warning to the expert tracker, woodsman, Hunter and all around badass, who also managed to fall into the cave, the same guy who can spot a Bear Trap from fifty paces! 🐻 🙄

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

When they were riding along in the gutted car, I was wondering what they used for a braking system. 

And why take the roof off? Does it not rain nor snow in their neck of the woods? Maybe they’ve got a summer and winter fleet of carriages to choose from. 😊

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

I thought there were a couple of nice moments in the show, the Carol / Daryl interaction was good, but not nearly long enough, we need to see Carol completely breaking down  over Henry, she needs to let it all out, half a tear here or there with Daryl just isn’t enough. The scene with Ezekiel was heartbreaking, I’m busting Carol’s balls over that one, I enjoyed Michonne’s reaction to the ‘Mercy’ comment made by Virgil, there’s so much potential with this show that they just keep on missing / ignoring 😡

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I Would imagine TWD would have more resources and be able to build a hot air balloon rather easily

We're talking about people who would rather leave their homes in winter with a snowstorm coming than learn how to patch a roof or clean a chimney even after 10 years. Hot air balloons are not on the agenda.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
On 11/28/2019 at 10:44 AM, icemiser69 said:

When they were riding along in the gutted car, I was wondering what they used for a braking system.  We never see them riding down a steep hill.  I hope it isn't one of those cases where the horses have to hope that they are fast enough to keep ahead of a runaway car chaise.

I also wonder what they would do when a tire goes flat?  They probably don't have an air compressor.  I never see a spare tire with them, or a car jack.

If Carol and Daryl  want to find out where the Whisperers are, why don't they just build a hot air balloon?   They could search from the sky and the Whisperers couldn't do anything to stop them.  Beta is tall, but he isn't Godzilla.  He can't just swat them out of the sky.

They used a hot air balloon in FTWD.   I Would imagine TWD would have more resources and be able to build a hot air balloon rather easily.

Couldn't they just, I don't know... sniff around? The herd must be super stinky! Like when Rosita, Eugene and Abraham were on the road and they SMELLED the oncoming herd!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 11/25/2019 at 1:01 PM, iMonrey said:

After the beat down Rosita gave him, Dante's face should have looked like mashed potatoes. Yet in the very next scene where they're questioning him he was only vaguely bruised. TV and movie beatings rarely leave serious external damage.

Never mind Rosita.  Daryl, a strong, muscular guy, punched him in the face with all his might. Dante should have had serious swelling and bruising, if not a broken jaw/teeth or fractured  cheekbone. But this show prefers to stick with the 60s and 70s old-timey thin trickle of blood from the corner of the mouth.

• Love 2
On 11/28/2019 at 10:44 AM, icemiser69 said:

When they were riding along in the gutted car, I was wondering what they used for a braking system. 

Probably the parking brake. Totally mechanical.

But I have wondered about how they strip the cars. Every pound of weight is something the horses have to pull. So why the side panels? Why the hood? I assume they took out the engine, but what about the suspension etc.?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I assume they took out the engine

If they did, the car would be sitting in an ackward position because of the suspension.  Even if they did, too much weight for the horses.  People are walking faster than those carriage.

- Why not a regular carriage if you want to use horses?

-If Daryl has ethanol for his motor bike why not also run cars with it?

- Why not use vegetable oil to run diesels?

-Why not using electric cars and charge them with solar?

- Why not bicycles?

-Why being so lame????????????😩

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
On 12/2/2019 at 11:34 PM, heisenberg said:

Why not use vegetable oil to run diesels?

Because they could get Maggie’s big assed tractor up and running to go and squash Elpha’s horde, that’s far too sensible an option for the show.  🚜

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, xaxat said:

Probably the parking brake. Totally mechanical.

Don’t you just say Whoa? That’s the limit to my Horse whispering skills. 🐴
I’m just waiting for Eugene to fit big pedals to them a la Bugsy Malone.

B7DDBC7E-99EE-48B7-84B3-CE335B612B13.jpeg

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

And where did Daryl get the makings for whatever he was smoking? Is he cultivating his own tobacco crop? Or maybe it's not tobacco and he found something else to smoke?

Maybe that’s why Bayda’s in a bad mood all the time, he’s not getting High any more, I can picture him and Negan passing it around the camp fire, with that big plate of worms to take care of the munchies 🐛

Edited by OoohMaggie
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

And where did Daryl get the makings for whatever he was smoking? Is he cultivating his own tobacco crop? Or maybe it's not tobacco and he found something else to smoke?

A country boy will survive.  If we can twist or roll it up then we can smoke it - and if not, then by god we’ll just fry it up and eat it.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 12/2/2019 at 6:34 PM, heisenberg said:

-Why not using electric cars and charge them with solar?

electric car batteries last about 8 years so those would be dead by now in the ZA.  Also, their flashlight batteries should start failing within a couple years.

Speaking of timelines, the turncoat doctor's timeline doesn't make a lot of sense but it's a little easier to swallow when I remember that the whisperers have been around for somewhere between 8 months to a year - Rosita had just learned she was pregnant around the time they showed up and her baby is now a few months old.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, rab01 said:

Isn't tobacco pretty common in Virginia?

It is, but someone has to plant and tend the crop, pick the leaves and dry them, etc. I can see someone suggesting, "Gee, we're getting awfully hungry here. Let's plant that prime acre there with beans/beets/corn", e.g. and Daryl pipes up, "NO, I need that patch for my tabaccy crop." 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 12/5/2019 at 9:35 PM, rab01 said:

electric car batteries last about 8 years so those would be dead by now in the ZA.  Also, their flashlight batteries should start failing within a couple years.

Not true. 

Toyota made a program to take back old batteries of their Prius and the program is not active...  You know why?  Because 2008-2009 Prius batteries are still active.  Same for some  Tesla with 1 000 000 km.  A car batterie is not something that will stop working a certain day.  It just decrease slowy from charging at 100% to 98-90- 80% over time given the abuse (overcharging or totaly draining it).

When a car batterie doesn't keep a charge enough to be used on the road they are recycled to be wall battery in a house and are able to be used for an other 20 years.

For TWD it is different.  If the batteries are new and have been left fully charged in their packaging without anything nearby to drain them they will work, even if they just have 10-20% left when you unpack them.  The chemicals will still react to the charge and are going to be good to go.  

For cars it all depends how they have been left,  if they have been empty for a while and the chemicals fade away they won't work.  If there are still a little charge in it, it will work like new.

Edited by heisenberg
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2