Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ctlady

Thirtysomething

I searched all through the Other Drama and was certain I would find this late 80s/early 90s yuppie drama listed, especially with all the references the This Is Us and A Million Little Things forum threads are making to it.  Any fans want to reminisce about Michael & Hope, Elliot & Nancy, Melissa, Gary & Ellen?  I've been rewatching on YouTube.  I especially love all the drama at Michael's firm (DAA) with that magnificent bastard, Miles Drentell. 

What are your favorite, not so favorite episodes, moments, characters?  What do you think about all the comparisons to TIU and AMLT?

• Like 6

Yay, a Thirtysomething thread!  Thanks for starting one.  And I didn't know it could be watched on Youtube--see you in a few weeks.  Can't really binge, but I do wish D.J. Nash and the writers of A Million Little Things would use the long break to do so, to see and take notes on a show about the real little things that affect us, not always huge, dramatic problems or soapy situations like secret children.

Back in the day I broke down the characters like so, not in any particular order:

Liked  Melissa (well, she was my favorite), Michael, Nancy

Hated Gary, Ellyn, Hope

Mixed emotions Elliot, Susannah

Favorite episode: "Melissa and Men."  I cried, but then that moment when Lee shows up... 

• Like 2

So glad I bought the dvd's when they first appeared! This show always holds my interest no matter how many times I rewatch.

I also liked Melissa, at least until Gary died and she spent a whole episode locked away in a room sobbing like she was his widow. It was just too much. And never could stand Ellyn, especially when she was upset with Hope for daring to have a baby and a life away from work.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Broderbits said:

And never could stand Ellyn, especially when she was upset with Hope for daring to have a baby and a life away from work.

Oh my - I loved Ellyn for that very reason! She spoke words that absolutely resonated with me at that time in my life. All my friends were having babies and (seemingly) drifting away, and I desperately resented them for it. Not very mature of me, but it's how I felt.

Melissa was always my favourite, but Ellyn was a close second.

• Like 3

Hard to believe this show itself is now about 30 years old....sixtysomething anyone?

This came out just about end of college, post-college for me so it somewhat resonated even though they were about a decade or so older. 

Kind of sad, as I always pictured my then gf (now deceased) as Hope and myself as Michael someday when we watched this together.

Will have to check it out again on youtube...thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, purist said:

Do you all know about the thirtysomething podcast and book that Scotty Ryan produced last year for the 30th anniversary? The podcast is fascinating, although the audio is not the best quality.

How did I not know about this book? Just reserved it at the library.  Loved this show. Rewatched it on DVD about 10 years ago. 

I still remember watching the episode with Michael and Hope at the hospital waiting to hear word about Nancy and Michael takes a phone call and afterwards  tells Hope Gary is dead.  It was truly shocking.  

Edited by blondiec0332
  • Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:58 AM, One Imaginary Girl said:

And I didn't know it could be watched on Youtube--see you in a few weeks. 

Search for the channel Larry Massey on YT - he has just about all of them

My favorite episodes were after Miles was introduced and all the drama at DAA, especially the Michael's Campaign episode where he stands his ground with the creative director and Pulling Away where it all changed for him afterwards. 

In both of them - I absolutely could not STAND Elliot.  Just about all of Elliot's scenes at work, especially with Michael, were awful.  He acted like such a petulant, whiny child when he didn't get his way then went all passive aggressive on Michael when he had to make decisions Elliot didn't agree with.  Elliot proved just how much he bit off more than he could chew in the episode where he all but beat Michael down into agreeing to let him direct the Philadelphia commercial.  It was hard to watch Elliot get owned by the star of the commercial, but he got in too far over his head.  He just wasn't ready.

Hope - was on the fence with her.  She came across self-righteous most times, but I found new appreciation for her when she called out Susannah - who was much too snarky and condescending for my taste.   The episode I'm Nobody, Who Are You - most of her dialogue with Gary was him trying to talk to her about what he's going through while she's ignoring him and mumbling about grocery lists, daycare, getting the heat fixed and tiny lightbulbs for the fridge.  When Hope tried to help when Susannah was having trouble with Emma's croup, Susannah was too proud to take help (or in this case, a humidifier).  When Hope called her out when Susannah went to return the humidifier, it was a fist pump moment!

I generally liked Ellen, except when she had her affair with Jeffrey.  Sorry, but any woman who goes after a married man - no matter how much they say their marriage is over - is not okay in my book.

The end of S3 where the takeover of DAA started and well into S4 was really great.  I loved the work stuff

• Like 1

I watched this show when it was on, but barely remember anything from it. Michael learning of Gary's death is seared into my brain, and I remember everyone talking about it the next day; it was a true water cooler moment.  I remember throwing the remote in disgust when they pulled out the tired trope of woman wanting abortion changes her mind at the last minute with Susannah.  And I remember two great quotes from Ellyn:

"You know, I lie sometimes when people ask me if I have any plans for the evening, because if I tell them that I just want to hang out at home, there will be this long silence and then they'll say, 'Oh ... well, why don't you join us?'  Because I don't want to!  I want to be alone!"

and

"People bump into you on the street, the first thing they say to you is, 'Are you in love?  Are you seeing someone?'  Nobody asks me about my job.  Or my cat."

But other than that it's just vague notions of who I liked and didn't.  I know I liked Ellyn and Susannah, and I'm pretty sure I liked Nancy, Gary, and Melissa.  Hope and Michael I think I went back and forth on, and I know Elliott drove me bonkers.

In my office closet is a bag with the entire series on VHS, that I picked up via Freecycle many moons ago.  One of these years, I will finally get around to watching it again; maybe this thread popping up will motivate me.

• Like 1

I loved this show.  I was 30 something at the time.  I was envious of Hope and Michael's house.  Ellyn was a pain but I loved her voice.  Melissa was great.  I have some of it on DVD and need to watch it again.  

• Like 1

I loved this show!  
I could not STAND Melissa!  My favorite character was Nancy.  

I have a couple of seasons on VHS tapes...but I’d have to go back in time (ie go to my mother’s house lol) to watch them - we no longer have a VHS player.

Last time I looked, you could watch some (all?) episodes via Amazon.  I need to check again...I’m in the mood to watch!

• Like 1