Type keyword(s) to search

The King's Man (2021)

Robert Lynch
  • Start Topic

Saw the trailer for this during Black Widow... I knew this was going to be a prequel and was confused because of the flashbacks (flashforwards?) of characters in the first two films.

I really enjoyed the first two movies, and it's great that they got Ralph Fiennes for this one.  Because the guy playing the young character (the Eggsy type) looks like a complete dweeb.  I see that Aaron Taylor-Johnson is in this... why wouldn't they make him the lead young character?

• Love 1

I'm liking the new trailer, even if the focus seems mostly on the Rasputin character.

On 7/20/2021 at 6:59 PM, AimingforYoko said:

He's 31. Kick-Ass was 11 years ago.

The dweeb playing the "young guy" character is 25.  If ATJ shaved his beard, I don't think he would look that much different in age from this guy.  It seems that they just needed a younger character to be the new recruit, since the existing agents are Ralph Fiennes (who looks very good for his age) and the others seem 40+.  ATJ could have been portrayed as being in his late 20s and it wouldn't make much difference, he would be new blood in the organisation.

The reviews have been dismal but I think people should take a chance on it. It is infinitely better than The Golden Circle. It's a fun turn on history using historical figures and it gives nice little nods to the other films.

I enjoyed it.  Not as good as the first 2, but that's not a bad thing.

Tonally, it's completely different than the other 2, and it makes sense.  It's set during World War 1 and about the founding of Kingsmen as spies, couldn't have the same tone as the other 2 films.

Rasputin was a hoot though, and of course Baron Zemo is manipulating powers to fight.

Djimon Hounsou is the standout, not much of a shock.  His character was great.

• Love 3

I enjoyed it, and I got why they killed Harris Dickinson off (symbol of the Lost Generation of men who died young in the Great War) but I do not get why they did not do more with Aaron. You had him right there and he shows up at the end as a recruit, but we should have seen more with him to make it believable that Ralph Fiennes would trust him enough to join. Harris Dickinson sending him is not enough in my opinion. It reminded me of how Channing Tatum showed up and barely did a thing in the 2nd Kingsman movie. That really felt beneath Aaron unless they planned on another movie set in the 20's. (But that's not happening with how bad the box office is.)

• Love 1

I wanted this to be as fun as the first but it was a little dry and boring at times and the middle felt a little aimless for me. I felt like it took too long to get where they were going.

I liked the preWWI setting. A lot of movies usually go with WWII so it was nice to see that time period instead. I also loved that they got it right with how the Archduke's death was a matter of him being in the wrong place because of a wrong turn. And to have Tom Hollander playing the royal cousins because they really did look a lot alike.

They faked me out with the son. I was so sure he was going to die at any moment that when it looked like no he might actually make it the death was an actual shock.

Wasn't the guy playing the son also in 1917? Man, he just can't stay out of WWI can he? At least he survived that one.

Overall I just wanted a tighter story or they to go bigger with all the historical figures. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
57 minutes ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

Wasn't the guy playing the son also in 1917? Man, he just can't stay out of WWI can he? At least he survived that one.

No, that was George MacKay. He and Harris Dickinson have very similar looks. I did get some serious 1917 flashbacks with that scene.

I really think for this movie to work better, they really needed to include Aaron Taylor-Johnson's character more. Like I think we should have gotten to the son's death earlier in the movie (we could have trimmed it by a good 5 minutes at least) and we should have gotten a few scenes were ATJ bonds with Conrad's father and nanny and butler. Maybe have him show off that he can fight? There needed to be SOMETHING there to show me why Ralph Fiennes would recruit ATJ who got maybe 5 minutes of screen time.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

No, that was George MacKay. He and Harris Dickinson have very similar looks. I did get some serious 1917 flashbacks with that scene.

I really think for this movie to work better, they really needed to include Aaron Taylor-Johnson's character more. Like I think we should have gotten to the son's death earlier in the movie (we could have trimmed it by a good 5 minutes at least) and we should have gotten a few scenes were ATJ bonds with Conrad's father and nanny and butler. Maybe have him show off that he can fight? There needed to be SOMETHING there to show me why Ralph Fiennes would recruit ATJ who got maybe 5 minutes of screen time.

Wow they really do look alike because I was sure it was the same guy.

They should have either killed the son earlier or later. Because it felt like there was a lot of movie before he died and still a lot of movie after he died. And I also agree that they should have shown more of Aaron to explain why Ralph would choose him to be part of the Kingsmen beyond his son switching identities with him.

• Love 2

I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first 2. I think the WWI setting was too realistic, compared to the more fantastical plots. There were not really any unbelievably over the top villains like Samuel L. Jackson or Julianne Moore, no multi-colour head explosions or gold tattoos.  I enjoy realistic war movies, but only if that's what I expected. I was so surprised at the suddenness of Conrad's death I actually said no out loud!

• Love 2
On 2/17/2022 at 11:18 PM, SherriAnt said:

I think the WWI setting was too realistic, compared to the more fantastical plots.

Something felt inappropriate about using historical fiction in a genre that is supposed to be over-the-top outlandish.  Having historical figures being part of a 'Legion of Doom' type organization and taking orders from a Dr. Evil type leader also seemed odd. 
Even at the end of the movie I wasn't really clear as to the motivation for Dr. Evil's plan (not that I was paying close attention). 
All the set-up and history recaps at the beginning slowed things down.   

Conrad seemed to exist only to be Ralph Fiennes' over-protected son .. and die.  It was a shame that his death wasn't even heroic - just the result of his ill-conceived identity swap with a Scottish soldier.  Conrad should have had some educational advantages that would have allowed him to contribute more to the war than just being another foot soldier. 

Conrad wanted to be in the trenches. It's why he switched with Archie. He didn't want the protection King George set up to offer him.

Conrad didn't need a "heroic" death. So many soldiers die in banal ways. Conrad acted heroically in getting the info needed and helping a fellow soldier. His death was the catalyst Orlando needed to take an active part in stopping the villains plans.

I sat down in a state of great anticipation, because I totally loved the first two movies.

We gave up after 20 minutes.  Couldn't figure out if was supposed to be satire, or whether it was just a bad movie.  Even Ralph Fiennes couldn't save this movie.

JMO.