Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E01: Blast Off

• Start Topic

No, producers, we didn’t need a Siriano Save added into the mix.  

I was surprised that Dr Couture’s team wasn’t in the top.  And as irritating as the guy Austin designer was, that was a good dress. 

• Love 19

Good start. Is it just me or is Karlie being more aggressive in her criticism this season? The right team won, loved the jumpsuit. And I agree about Sergio, if he’s doing so well why is he on this show? I am impressed he designed for Billy Porter tho. 
the right two went home. It was kind of unfair they started with a team challenge maybe. I would have been interested to see what both ladies would have done on their own.  So far I’m rooting for Nancy and my Chicago peeps. 

• Love 13
12 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

Good start. Is it just me or is Karlie being more aggressive in her criticism this season?

She was on Fallon promoting the show and she kept bragging about how more aggressive she would be.  I thought it was really strange.  So, you're making a conscience choice to be more aggressive with your criticism?  Then aren't you admitting it''s bullshit?

I honestly really genuinely liked Dayoung and her partner, I'm sorry, I don't know his name. I'm glad they were saved.  I don't even think there was something wrong with their outfits.

If Jeffrey is military style jumpsuit guy -- he was so red and sweaty!  LOL!  Poor guy.  It was weird.  But his design was great so I guess I can put up with it.

• Love 12
26 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

Knew pink hair and the other woman were going to be at the bottom.  At least pink hair admitted her design wasn't good.  Other woman was all about her not being understood.  I understood.  That design was awful.

Hated how Asma had to try to tear down pink.  I feel bad for pink who choked.... maybe she could have done better once she got over her nerves, but we’ll never know.   

And, yeah Mr I’m on Christian and Brandon’s level is already acting like a douche.  Does he really think he can win this when the big prize is a CFDA mentor ship which he clearly doesn’t think he needs.  Who would want to mentor him.  

I did like the young guy with the non-binary model.  He was so considerate asking about pronouns.   Wasn’t he also the one who dressed a Billy Porter?

• Love 16
14 minutes ago, Audpaud said:

Both had to go so Super Double Bubble Muslim lady couldn't claim discrimination is my gut feeling. Both deserved it tho'. Was she wearing gloves or were they tatooed?

I assumed it was a henna stain.

Isn't  tattooing  not a Muslim thing  same as in Judaism?

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 6

I'm not seeing an immediate breakout like Sebastian was last season, but I guess he was a fluke (and not saddled with a team challenge right out of the gate). Looking forward to Sergio's comeuppance. Alan already exhausts me but I'm glad he and Dayoung were kicked back to safety because that wasn't even close.

Some of Asma's portfolio shots looked decent, so I was shocked by how bad her garment was. At least she's been spared however many weeks of the judges pronouncing her name "Asthma."

• LOL 5
  • Love 13

So, as soon as I saw Pinky's super basic designs during the intro reel, I knew she was gonna be gone in two episodes top. Asma just had no idea what she was doing. She was just pilling crap on top of crap, and that was never going to work out.

As for the rest, I felt like the jumpsuits overall were good to great, but the dresses were just nothing. And I hated Sergio's dress almost as much as his attitude. Those sleeves were just goofy and stupid.

Overall, a decent start. Didn't need to see Hester ever again, though. Thanks for that, Bravo and 3M. 

• Love 13

Having a team challenge right away kind of sucks. These designers know nothing about anyone else's design aesthetic but they're supposed to choose a partner and collaborate with them? Imagine getting stuck with someone like Anya who couldn't sew.

What the hell was Karlie wearing on the runway? It looked like she sewed a lace tablecloth to a negligee/apron.

Brittany's navy blue jumpsuit was fine. It had a little bit of a costume feel due to the puffy sleeves which was giving me maybe Ren Faire? But I liked the sleek lines and the plunging back. It also fit the model really well.

I was impressed when Sergio said he designed Billy Porter's Tony outfit made from the Kinky Boots curtain but the dress he made for the runway was blah, boring, and unflattering on his model. I didn't like the huge sleeves either.

Chelsey's white jumpsuit was okay but I didn't like the lace up detail in the back. Somehow that made it look cheap, like something you'd find at Forever 21.

I guess yay for team cohesiveness because Shavi's pink cocktail dress definitely looked like it came from Forever 21. The shiny material made it look so cheap. The way he pulled the fabric in toward the center to add that tie detail made it look ill fitting.

I think I would have liked Geoffrey's military jumpsuit beetter in a different color, but I get why he chose it to go with their military theme. I liked that I could see the military influence but that it still looked fashionable rather than like a costume version of a uniform.

Melanie's dress was too simple for my taste. It looked like a prom dress from the mall. That was not the right fabric for that design either because it didn't drape well.

YAY, Thijin is back! Unfortunately not even she could elevate Jenn's boring jumpsuit.

Asma's dress had no aesthetic connection to Jenn's jumpsuit. There was nothing about the colors, the designs, etc. that brought the two looks together. I hated the see through plastic too. WHY? The design was also not flattering to the model. As for her excuse that it was cotton - STFU! As Nina pointed out, as a designer you should know about fabric. You should know what kind of fabric is appropriate for what kind of designs. But on top of that, when Asma said she will never use cotton again, I just rolled my eyes. Cotton is not the problem. Lots of people make clothes with cotton. You need to be able to work with different kinds of material. My question to her would be what fabric she thinks she should have chosen instead of cotton for this dress. Honestly, a different fabric wouldn't have made that dress look less ugly. And what is her excuse for the excess of ugly accessories?

Victoria's dress was terrible. How did she think it looked elegant? It looked sloppy and made the model look bad. It looked like she just slapped some white fabric on one half of the dress. And the silver fabric looked so tacky. I could tell Christian was done with her in the work room when she ran off during their meeting. GURL, what are you doing?

I liked Veronica's white jumpsuit. It fit the model really well and I liked the contrast of the tight fit on the torso and the big poofy translucent sleeves.

Marquise's jumpsuit looked fine but uninteresting. I liked that it was off the shoulder.

Nancy's dress was nice. Yes, it was just a little black dress but I liked the details she added to make it different. The sheer black fabric on top of the bodice made it stand out from the regular LBDs you normally see at cocktail parties. And yay for having a designer over the age of 40!

I didn't like the strap covering one arm of Dayoung's jumpsuit. All I could think was that if you wore that, you wouldn't be able to lift your left arm above waist level. I liked how loose the pants were though. It's only the first week and she already had a meltdown so I don't think she's going to last long. That's the kind of freakout I expect in like the eighth or ninth week when the designers are exhausted, sleep deprived, and running on pure caffeine.

I had the samee issue with Alan's dress - that stupid silver strap is not practical (here or in space). That dress was way too basic. At first I felt bad that he didn't have all of his fabric but when they showed us the footage of what actually happened at Mood with Brittany TELLING HIM about the bag of chiffon, my sympathy for him dried up. I have to admit that when he perked up at the mention of macarons and ran straight to the kitchen to get one, I laughed.

Delvin's red and white jumpsuit was so bold and graphic. I loved how all the different red and white parts lined up. I don't mind Dr. Couture wearing a white lab coat. As long as you aren't hurting anyone, do your thing. Besides, a lab coat is practical. It has pockets for tools, a measuring tape, and snacks!

Tyler's dress was less impressive. I liked the slim red inserts but overall this dress didn't interest me.

Hahaha, I loved when Brandon gave Brittany and Sergio the FNL Texas forever on the runway!

I am glad to see that Christian is as snarky as ever. When he said, "You could lose the poncho," I totally cracked up.

• Love 16
19 minutes ago, lu1535 said:

I was impressed that the designers actually have a window in the design room.

do any New Yorkers recognize what they are looking out on? Somewhere on one of the rivers.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Marquise's jumpsuit looked fine but uninteresting. I liked that it was off the shoulder.

I love off the shoulder stuff (I have nice shoulders), so I was drawn to that. 

I really admire the 64-year-old who followed her passion later in life. I think that's cool.

Asma and Jenny's stuff was indeed bad. I appreciated Elaine trying to fight for Asma, but that look was bonkers. Jenny's was bad and boring, Asma's was bad and bonkers, and they didn't go together at all. I can see the case for the double elimination.

• Love 18

Not understanding why the person who left their fabric at Mood had to do without. I could have sworn that the same thing happened in another season, and they allowed the designer to go back and get it - which also used up that much of their design time, so there was no unfair advantage. Maybe it was another wannabee PR show, maybe it was on a non-Bravo season, I just don't recall the details.

Hated the first challenge being teams of two. But it sure worked out for the guy who was the original partner for Asma (?sp). In retrospect, I suppose that mini cocktail party get to know each other was a bit of an attempt to not completely blindside them, but what someone says they can do, and what they actually do when the clock is ticking are often vastly different. I'm very glad the armband team was saved - I liked them during the design phase and really liked them on the runway.

Never have and never will like Siriano. When he didn't get eliminated during 'his' season for that horrible prom dress massacre, I knew the fix was in. Just as it was in  for Jeffrey the horrible who completed demeaned and designed fugly for his 'model' during the Mom challenge and sent out a hooker wannabee for the (IIRC) Black and White challenge and some crap that was totally boring for that challenge in Central Park....but as soon as I saw him pick that yellow plaid in Paris for the Haute Couture challenge I said to my cat - F...me, that's the winner.

I wonder if basketcase (?Jeffrey - I don't have the names fixed in my aging brain yet) with the winning jumpsuit (I totally agree that if I had the bod I would almost kill to have that thing) will prove to be the one to watch. At least this season has started off with some promise   - but I still miss Tim Gunn.

I really dislike the combo of  usual fashion model size models and plus/curvy whatever the correct term is models. I really like the inclusion of plus size models, but why not do a challenge (or 2 or 3) with JUST plus size models? That would show who can really step up and eliminate the 'if i'd had a normal size model....' excuses. I missed the bit about getting the correct pronouns for the non-binary model - is it they, them, their? That seems logical to me and rather easy to use.

And I absolutely HATED the Hester commercials.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, charming said:

My pocket size snarky baby Christian is back! 

The smug look on his face when he told Asma "Yeah, she can't walk."

So funny.  Coming from anyone else I might be annoyed, but he made it funny and kind of sexy.

• Love 11
55 minutes ago, becauseIsaidso said:

Not understanding why the person who left their fabric at Mood had to do without. I could have sworn that the same thing happened in another season, and they allowed the designer to go back and get it - which also used up that much of their design time, so there was no unfair advantage. Maybe it was another wannabee PR show, maybe it was on a non-Bravo season, I just don't recall the details.

I'm pretty sure that Anya put a bunch of money for fabric in her bra, and then she lost it.  Was she the one they let go back?

I remember they have done this for designers in the past too.  Just not clear on details.

• LOL 1
9 hours ago, charming said:

One thing I did not need to see was the endless Hester Sunshine commercials. She grates my nerves and is a terrible actress.

Oh same here!  Please don't inflict these on us all season long!

Watching Karli and Christian together is hilarious.  She is at least twice his height!

• Love 10
1 hour ago, becauseIsaidso said:

They've definitely let people go back to Mood to get fabric, if they bought it but somehow it didn't make it into a bag or if a bag was left behind.  He didn't even pay for it, he sniffed at his own fabric sitting on the table as if his partner had chosen it (badly), and then left it there.  Bizarre.

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

YAY, Thijin is back! Unfortunately not even she could elevate Jenn's boring jumpsuit.

I thought the same - not even Thijin can save you!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I literally forgot Hester even existed once the last season ended, and so happy I watch from DVR so I could fast forward through her.

Ditto. I didn't realize PR was coming back on but I have it season passed, so when I turned on my TV last night and saw it was recording I was glad. But I was equally as glad that I wasn't watching live because I don't need any Hester.

• Love 12

As for her excuse that it was cotton - STFU!

It's Sewing 101 to recognize when you need stretchy or drapey fabric vs. a non-stretch fabric. I remember learning that lesson as a teenager.

I didn't understand what happened with the missing fabric. The guy who needed it is the one who looked at it on the table and said it wasn't his, right? Is he an idiot?

He needs to stop flouncing and pay attention. I noticed he said "Did WE leave the chiffon in the store?" No you idiot, YOU left it because you weren't paying attention when the Mood assistant tried to help you.

Love Bravo's production values! Love the two-day challenge.

Mr. I Know As Much as Christian may fail in this environment if he's a couturier and is accustomed to having lots of time to execute his designs.

I can't stand Nina, so she is the weak link for me.

Love the fabulous 64-year-old.

Some of the models are too skinny. Not healthy.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 9

Did the "I know just as much as Christian" guy take Christian's advice with the length of his garment?  Just wondering if he actually is open to suggestions and the editors are just making it seem he's super arrogant. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Samwise979 said:

Did the "I know just as much as Christian" guy take Christian's advice with the length of his garment? 

I think Christian just said "think about the length" or something like that. So hard to know what he was suggesting.

Skinny doesn't necessarily mean unhealthy, just like non-skinny necessarily means healthy. 

As has been discussed many times on this forum and of which I'm well aware (former dancer).

However, the modeling world is infamous for requiring that models starve themselves to remain thin. I think at least one of the models we saw last night is too thin in a way that is not safe for her body.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, becauseIsaidso said:

I could have sworn that the same thing happened in another season, and they allowed the designer to go back and get it - which also used up that much of their design time, so there was no unfair advantage. Maybe it was another wannabee PR show, maybe it was on a non-Bravo season, I just don't recall the details.

Kenley Collins, Season Five.  She had paid for it but left the bag at Mood, and they let her go get it.  I was NOT a fan of her, though she seems to have settled down since her season.  

Wow...I have been watching PR a long time.

At any rate...very promising.  I'll probably have their names sorted out in about four episodes after some eliminations.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

However, the modeling world is infamous for requiring that models starve themselves to remain thin. I think at least one of the models we saw last night is too thin in a way that is not safe for her body.

I'm not disputing that the modeling world can be fucked up. But the original comment had no nuance to it besides "too skinny, not healthy" which isn't necessarily true. It sounded like a judgment that is old and tired. I personally saw no one that was "too thin" or looked "unhealthy" but then I'm not an expert. 

9 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

As has been discussed many times on this forum and of which I'm well aware (former dancer).

I'm sorry if I brought up something that has been discussed before - I didn't know either of those things. I'll be sure to properly educate myself next time. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Project Runway is back and I am mad with joy.

Me too.  The Primetimer home page says this show is in danger of being cancelled, which I had no idea about and terrifies me.  This show will always be in my forever Top 10.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 19
21 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

Wow...I have been watching PR a long time.

I thought that when I realized that two of the past contestants have died. They died young, one in his 50s and one in his 30s, but still. Also when I realized that I no longer dislike Christian, who I could not stand on his season, and I realized that he's likely just grown up - he was 21 on his season and he's in his 30s now.

• Love 15

My boss and I bond over PR! I'd been working for her for only a short time when we discovered we were both big fans, we talk about it every Friday in our morning meeting. I love this show so much. Even at its worst I never walked away. I broke up with Survivor years ago but to PR I am steadfastly loyal. The return to Bravo is to be applauded, its fresh without messing up the original recipe that made it great.

I have to say I was a little disappointed that there was no acknowledgement of the passing of Chris March, though.

1 minute ago, Empress1 said:

I thought that when I realized that two of the past contestants have died.

Three. Wendy Pepper, Mychael Knight, and Chris March.

• Love 18
5 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Wow, I'm not sure I knew about Wendy Pepper! Maybe I forgot. Yikes. I did not like her on TV, but that's sad. (I loved both Mycheal and Chris.)

6 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

My boss and I bond over PR! I'd been working for her for only a short time when we discovered we were both big fans, we talk about it every Friday in our morning meeting.

One of my favorite coworkers at a previous job and I used to talk about it after every episode. We were usually aligned in our thinking. I remember after somebody objectionable won he came stomping over to me the next day all "I AM NEVER WATCHING PROJECT RUNWAY AGAIN!!!" It was hilarious.

I like the show because I like fashion and I cannot sew at ALL, so I appreciate the craftsmanship of what they do. (I like cooking shows for kind of the opposite reason - I AM a good cook and love it so there it's more of a learning thing where I can pick up tricks, and I also have a sense of when and how they fuck up when they do.)

Do the judges seem harsher this season to anyone else? I feel like Elaine calling something "terrible" was a stronger opinion than she offered last season (where I often felt she had little to contribute).

• Love 9

Ah geez that's terrible. Chris and Christian were like Laurel and Hardy of their season. Mychael was in the final three in his season, right? And Wendy, the first designer to be universally disliked.

Yeah it makes me feel old. On topic, I was happy the right designer won and the two worst went home. If that hadn't happened, I don't think I would consider sticking around.

Sergio needs to check that 'tude.

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Do the judges seem harsher this season to anyone else? I feel like Elaine calling something "terrible" was a stronger opinion than she offered last season (where I often felt she had little to contribute).

Brandon was unnecessarily rude saying that he thought "What the actual hell" when Jenn and Asma's designs were presented.

For goodness sake, this is the very first challenge and the designers are incredibly emotional and nervous.  They're artists and this is their art!

• Love 10