Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Blackie said:

The scene where they kissed in the bar, was that a remake of when they first met? Obviously LW and SBU were younger when that was filmed but LW wasn't original Carly... so whas that a scene from Jason-is -dead montage the first time Jason "died"/

They redid a few scenes when LW joined the show.

• Useful 7
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

To be fair, how many scenes of Monica and Jason could there be?

Also, Jason treated everyone in his life like they were irrelevant compared to Sonny, Carly and I guess Michael. No one mattered much to him, and I have no idea why anyone actually misses him (I sure won’t). 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

To be fair, how many scenes of Monica and Jason could there be?

honestly i don't know.  but i mean there has to be some. 

also i have to laugh at twitter. so many people are like. why did you have to kill jason off because i mean we've had 3 people be murdered and come back to life this year can't you think of anything else? you coulda just recasted the guy. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

WOW, Kemo throwing that glass had the same intensity of a four year-old throwing a wiffle ball. I'm shocked the glass even made it to the wall. She has two acting modes: sleepy and sleepier. When she is in sleepier like today, I cannot even understand what the hell she is saying. It is like a person on their death bed using all their strength to whisper talk their last words or something.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

WOW, Kemo throwing that glass had the same intensity of a four year-old throwing a wiffle ball. I'm shocked the glass even made it to the wall. She has two acting modes: sleepy and sleepier. When she is in sleepier like today, I cannot even understand what the hell she is saying. It is like a person on their death bed using all their strength to whisper talk their last words or something.  

All I keep wanting for her is to spit out her dialogue.  It seems like it's struggle for her to recite dialogue with the naps in between words.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Monica: "Of course Jason had to s pend Thanksgiving with his kids."  Really? This retcon to make Jason the bestest parent ever is eyerolling, as is trying to put the blame on Jason and Drew not knowing each other well before on Drew. Jason showed zero interest in Drew when he came back other than to take Sam from him.

The best part about Drew besides him putting his family first is that he knew exactly who Jason was, that he wouldn't ever put Sam or his children or anyone besides Carly and Sonny first, and had no use for him. So of course they have to ruin that and make Drew yet another buttkisser.

• Love 3

Kemo is low key and I can see why it annoys some people, but I do think she and Dom have chem, and I like Sante so far.  Also I will basically take anything over Carly shrieking again.  Even Peter being snidely wiplash, which a couple of times he's actually made me laugh at Jason's expense.  And the thing is, I like LW and I do think she's a good actress.  It's the material.  The character just needs a complete retooling.  

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

And of course Joss finds out about Jason onscreen and gets a big scene while Danny and Jake are MIA

The younger kid actors usually don't get any big moments like this unless they're driving the story (like Jake being programmed by Helena years ago). I don't care about any of them anyway, so offscreen is just fine with me.

• Love 2

The last time we heard about Jake, he was in New York and phoning back instructionsfor Liz's birthday banner. Maybe he's going to meet up with Michael and Willow. No one thought to tell Liz.

That's why Monica saying that Jason wasn'tthere because he had to spend Thanksgiving with his children didn't make sense because 1. Danny and Scout were expected at Monica's and 2. Scout is Drew's child, not Jason's .

• Love 5

So, with Valentin back in control of ELQ and Drew back to run Arora, does that mean Michael is out of a job? 😆

And, I can't decide if Chase would be relieved to have the whole Bailey-daddy overshadowed by Drew coming back/Jason dead or if the awkwardness of the situation just overwhelms everything. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Daisy said:

but i mean there has to be some.

Nope. Jaysus rejected his family when he became Jason Morgan. Even Alan’s death was made all about him and his “pain”! Like Show waited until they killed Alan off for Jaysus to feel remorse (whatever!) for rejecting him. And it’s only non recent years that he’s thought of Monica as his mother.

The grieving was already done in 2012 when Faison “killed” him. Then we at least got AJ back until the fuckcluster that was Prospect that screwed Sean and AJ AGAIN.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Then we at least got AJ back until the fuckcluster that was Prospect that screwed Sean and AJ AGAIN.

what? 

2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Like Show waited until they killed Alan off for Jaysus to feel remorse (whatever!) for rejecting him.

that makes me angry too. that's when Jason had that flash back with the whole Jacob I have loved, but Esau i have hated (basically making Jason be all like "yeah i was his favourite and AJ sucked. which I don't think was the point of that little parable but whatever, show)

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Even Alan’s death was made all about him and his “pain”! Like Show waited until they killed Alan off for Jaysus to feel remorse (whatever!) for rejecting him. And it’s only non recent years that he’s thought of Monica as his mother.

Which reminds me--are they ever going to do anything for Stuart Damon's passing?  I know his character died years ago, but he was such an important part of the show for so long. That one minute montage they did after the show a while back was just sort of pathetic.

• Love 11
45 minutes ago, AuxArx said:

Which reminds me--are they ever going to do anything for Stuart Damon's passing?  I know his character died years ago, but he was such an important part of the show for so long. That one minute montage they did after the show a while back was just sort of pathetic.

Nope. I told y’all that silent “montage” was their version of a tribute. Because Frank SUCKS.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Nope. Jaysus rejected his family when he became Jason Morgan.

Yes, but that doesn't mean that Monica and Ned have to obediently wipe their own memories clean of Jason Q -- those memories should be allowed. And even after his accident, Jason Morgan would at times help Monica out of a jam, and vice versa. So they could definitely do a montage, but they really try to bury the Jason Q clips.

• Love 5

Monica said she wished Jason was there, but he was spending it with his children? Since when does he care to spend time with his children. Jake would be with Liz, Danny would have been at the Q's. Jason would have been with Carly. 

Sam's worried about telling Danny, how much of a relationship did Jason have with his kids? I forgot he had more than one when Monica said children. Danny also had him die before, he'll be fine. Jake had more a relationship to Franco. 

Yes Olivia, poor Carly and Jason. Not Jason's kids were her first thought. 

Carly goes to Robin and Jason's bridge to act like it had anything to do with her and have a montage. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

So they turned Drew into a Jason ass kisser, 'cuz there aren't enough of those tottering around already. Fantastic.

Carly goes to the bridge that's got nothing to do with her and has a special montage. All I got to say is LW was so young! The rest was a dumpster fire. 

Let's not bother Willow and Michael while they're in NYC with their spoiled brat. You know, show, let's keep Willow and Michael in NYC. That way we don't have to see them or hear them ever again. 

I liked Cyrus on his bunk, legs crossed, making a casual condolences phone call from the phone he shouldn't have. I imagine him cackling at the news that Jason died. 

Leisl and Scott having sex in her hospital bed was just . . . so much no to that and kind of eww as well. What if Britt had walked in on that, Mutter?

Minority opinion, I liked the Sam/Dante scenes. They are working for me. 

Someone should remember that Jason had two sons and that no one's thought of Jake yet.

I’ve been watching Laura Wright since her Loving days and even I forgot how young & natural looking she looked when she joined GH which was 16 years ago. She was 35 when she joined GH. She’s still pretty and looks awesome but I just didn’t remember how natural looking she was back then. I guess with high definition and normal aging you need more of the makeup. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1

I think the ash blonde hair does not do her any favors - she would look better with a warmer tone. Also, it's hard to appreciate the pretty when comes with the heinous creature that is Carly. I see Carly's face and I just want someone, anyone, to punch it. 

Until then, this YT will do. Bonus, we also get to see the evolution of Carly's hair. I liked it best when it was wavy. I'm beginning to think my regard for LW's characters is directly proportional to how curly her hair is - the straighter the hair the less I like the character. 

Edited by Mirabelle
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

I will credit LW for not getting horrible work done. Whatever she has gotten done has been minimal and she still looks like herself. I cannot say the same about other actresses on this show and it's glaringly obvious how much their faces have changed in unnatural ways.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

That was Jason and ROBIN'S bridge, you cow! You don't get to grieve there. Push her in, Britt!

I was chanting "Jump, Jump. JUMP!"

I thought EM was awful today in her scenes.  The crying when you can't even squeeze a tear out just is so embarrassing.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, Hater said:

I will credit LW for not getting horrible work done. Whatever she has gotten done has been minimal and she still looks like herself. I cannot say the same about other actresses on this show and it's glaringly obvious how much their faces have changed in unnatural ways.

Totally agreed, I think she looks fantastic when she’s not making that lip curling snarl face. She was very fresh faced when she started, but I truly appreciate that her face can still move. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:
5 hours ago, Blackie said:

The scene where they kissed in the bar, was that a remake of when they first met? Obviously LW and SBU were younger when that was filmed but LW wasn't original Carly... so whas that a scene from Jason-is -dead montage the first time Jason "died"/

Expand  

Thanks for clarifying because I do not remember LW’s Carly ever being romantic with Jason, that was all Sarah Brown. I was so confused like when did all that happen??

• Love 2

Are Austin and Obrecht friends?  I can't recall them sharing a scene. 

Sam: I threw a glass and the kids didn't wake up.

Me: Must have been the bottle of children's cold medicine you snuck into their food.

Seriously, Joss, "You look like someone died." is literal, not figurative in the Corinthos household.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

The grieving was already done in 2012 when Faison “killed” him. Then we at least got AJ back until the fuckcluster that was Prospect that screwed Sean and AJ AGAIN.

I have no idea if this is supposed to be referring to Prospect Park, but PP's online soaps had nothing to do with Frank and Ron choosing to ice Sean Kanan, who they openly disliked, and keep pushing Roger Howarth and Michael Easton, which they were already doing well before OLTL came back regardless of who they were playing. I loved what GH was doing story-wise before they brought the OLTL 3 back as new characters to spite the new show, and bringing those actors back derailed everything, including some of A.J.'s material with Carly (which was clearly in retrospect just a timefiller as they waited to resecure Howarth/Easton/Alderson). But that was GH's choice, not Prospect Park's, and they didn't have to burn A.J. in order to write for those actors going forward either. GH squandering its actors isn't the fault of another show.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I hope that wasn't a chem test because I'm not really here for Britt being paired with Austin.  If they want her to bang a Q, send her over to Drew (hey, that rhymes!).

KT/Britt won me over quite some time ago and I wonder who they will pair her with next. Austin is a bad fit and I'd rather see her with Dante all things being equal.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I was wondering about this, because I don't remember those recreated flashbacks at all. (I'm sure they were made back then and they look it, I just can't believe I forgot them) I know it's common in the last 20 years, but I remember being annoyed when they had Lesli Kay redoing Rena Sofer's Lois scenes. AFAIC OG Carly stuff is sacrosanct. But nothing took as much balls as that time they had Eden McCoy out here trying to play mid-'90s Sarah fucking Brown.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Hater said:

Apparently she has had the face slap therapy and it works!!

8 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

I think the ash blonde hair does not do her any favors - she would look better with a warmer tone.

She definitely needs a haircut, I like it when it is a little bit shorter.

SBu aged terribly.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Hater said:

NLG too.  She has been open about getting some injectables, because her first time was overdone.  I believe she still gets them but got a better doctor.  She looks fantastic.   I do feel for the actresses who do it and it comes out badly.  Seeing yourself in high def has got to be really difficult as you age. 

52 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Apparently she has had the face slap therapy and it works!!

She definitely needs a haircut, I like it when it is a little bit shorter.

SBu aged terribly.

SBU looks awful, it's gotta be the steroids.  Or maybe just the sun.  But I think steroids play a role.  I often wonder what these superhero A list actors are going to look like in 10 years.   But I do feel for them.  You aren't going to be Thor without huge muscles and there's only so much you can do naturally.  

I also noticed the smooth appearance of Monica's face vs the neck. Wow. So many women I see on tv make this mistake. At least get a little something done to the neck while they are working on the face. But I love seeing LC on the show. I'm so nostalgic for the legacy characters.

Seems like Violet hasn't gotten any bigger? And she is often carried like a baby. Odd to me.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, seasons said:

Seems like Violet hasn't gotten any bigger? And she is often carried like a baby. Odd to me.

I was thinking the same thing. I think Violet is adorable even her little lisp. But she’s growing up and that speech impediment isn’t going to be cute forever.

Laura Wright has aged well and naturally. Whatever work she’s had it’s not overdone. Her face still moves. I feel like everyone in the industry has had something done, it’s almost like part of the job. But some definitely go overboard and it is sad if they feel like they have to resort to that. I agree with everyone, Steve’s skin is like leather. He’s still decent looking, but to see how different he looks now from those flashbacks was jarring. 

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, seasons said:

I also noticed the smooth appearance of Monica's face vs the neck. Wow. So many women I see on tv make this mistake. At least get a little something done to the neck while they are working on the face. But I love seeing LC on the show. I'm so nostalgic for the legacy characters.

She's carried so that the actors don't have to bend down to her to deliver their lines.

4 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

KT/Britt won me over quite some time ago and I wonder who they will pair her with next. Austin is a bad fit and I'd rather see her with Dante all things being equal.

Their height is not equal.  Nor is Sam and Drew's.  Plus, Drew just came back - let's not saddle him with the tiny whisper girl.  Test him with the much taller, more sparkly, Britt.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Can I just say?  Sam and Dante having sex for the first time right after her ex dies?  Weird and the opposite of hot.

At least it wasn't in a crypt among the dead bodies. 

There was a time when Carly was the reason that I kept watching the show. Of course, it was when SJB portrayed her. LW's Carly is the human equivalent of a bulldozer. And no, that doesn't make me Team Nina. Nina is a pathetic dishrag that they're trying to whitewash back into fan's good graces. The two can catfight their asses right over the bridge rail into the ravine, FAIC. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

She's carried so that the actors don't have to bend down to her to deliver their lines.

I remember people complaining about that with Emma.  Soaps don't have time to do as many multiple camera angles as other shows and movies do, hence the carrying.  I personally don't think it's a big deal.

• Love 7

Slightly off topic. I haven't gotten used to the initials used here for the different actors so I try to figure out the names while I'm reading. Usually, it isn't too much of a problem, but whenever I read something referring to SteveBu or SBU my mind fills in "Steve Buscemi", which gives me a very different mental image of Jason.

• LOL 10

I think KM/DZ do have some chemistry, I just think the material is often really bad for them (all the baseball stuff and the outfits and her constantly throwing tantrums before) and she is so over the job, more than ever before, and is wrung out on many levels. There were ways the pairing could work better, but I don't think there's anything left to do with Sam.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, tessaray said:

I now put them in the Molly/TJ category, boring but whatever. Keeps the actors busy. 

I think Molly and TJ could be more interesting if they got any screen time.  But, then they'd probably just cheat on each other, so I guess they're better off this way.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think Molly and TJ could be more interesting if they got any screen time.  But, then they'd probably just cheat on each other, so I guess they're better off this way.

Part of my disinterest is the actor who plays TJ. I haven't warmed up to him and can't quite figure out why.

I've only been back this year but he seems to only exist to prop other characters.  (I remember young Molly and TJ as being cute and way less boring.)

• Love 1

I hope two days are enough to send off Jason because the “he was so great” is vomir inducing.

I agree with everyone saying killing the character was ridiculous, considering how many people have died and come back. Seeing Sonny is particularly jarring.

Not sure why the show is pushing Britt and Carly together, but I don’t like anyone yelling at my girl Britt, especially not Carly.

Edited by Desperado
  • Love 5

Today's Notes:

Dante and Sam go upstairs. they get nekkid. (I have to say GH has very boring love scenes). 

Esme and Spencer had Chinese takeout w/Alexis and Shawn. Alexis has the brilliant idea to bring Valentin inside with Spencer. like that was going to go well. Spencer's reaction: THE HELL?!  loL now Ava + Nik shows up w/pie. Alexis is like. well crap. (Ava lost points with me. Pumpkin and Pecan. where's the apple and strawberry rhubarb?). Ava reminds Alexis that this was an anniversary (you know of Julian dying). Alexis goes who can be at the door again, Satan. Nope! Mistah Sheffield!! Val drops the bomb that Mistah Sheffield is his father. Spencer's brain is exploding.  Mistah Sheffield has had enough of this crap and says everything is changing now. (everyone's minds are exploding now). spencer you need to shut up, you're still wrong. Mistah Sheffield basically goes "winter is coming. we need to be together."

Ned realises that Valentin's hold on ELQ is in question because Drew is alive thus Scout's shares that Sam gave Valentin is null. Ned has to act fast. Olivia agrees... wait. what? Olivia agrees?! Ned says "how Quatermaine of Olivia." Olivia is like I can trust your intentions. (Ned. still dump her). Olivia goes even when Julian was around, he wasn't very fatherly. (gee. i wonder why, olivia. shut. up) 

BLQ is is lamenting Jason. (whatever). Oh Valentin called Mac about Chase assaulting him. he got suspended from the force for six months. 

Monica is telling Drew his place is with the family.  Monica says she needed to remodel. Drew says he misses the photos. And Monica starts to cry, and says yes, but it was just a reminder of everyone who died. 

Carly didn't jump off the bridge. Shame. Britt is saying she thought she could feel closer to Jason if she was on the bridge. These two are reminiscing about Jason. Carly begrudgingly apologizes to britt. Britt is like whatever I hate me too. Carly decides to be nice. Britt gives her a hug.

Sonny is all "i'mma gonna give you a war you bastard" ladies and gentlemen - our hero. He calls Spinelli, and was all I need you to figure out how Cyrus got a phone. (dude he's in jail. it's easy according to OitnB) Spinelli is all dude why is he taunting you with Jason. Sonny "you don't know?" HOW WOULD HE KNOW, YOU MORON?!  Jason sending him smoke signals from Greece?

Also: Spinelli. Ellie gave you a choice. her or the mob. You chose the mob. So shut the hell up about how "there's nothing to be thankful for." you little moron.  

this show makes me exhausted. 

• Love 12