Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

There is something about the way that the way the actor plays Spencer that is a combination of haunting, vulnerable and nevertheless dangerous to me. I am not sure whether he is being directed to play it that way or whether the actor has the skill without much experience to play that nuance. But that is very much how he comes across to me, and I think it is fitting for the character of Spencer, a young man who has been pampered, spoiled, and entitled his entire life while at the same time being neglected and even abandoned by those who were supposed to nurture and protect him. His actions have been despicable more than once and his attitude towards Ava has been reprehensible.  However, with this actor I get a glimpse of an insecure young man who most of all envied the stability and love he felt Cameron, Joss and Emma always had. When NB was in the role, however, I only saw a spoiled brat that I wanted to smack!

• Love 20
4 hours ago, Liddy52 said:

There is something about the way that the way the actor plays Spencer that is a combination of haunting, vulnerable and nevertheless dangerous to me. I am not sure whether he is being directed to play it that way or whether the actor has the skill without much experience to play that nuance. But that is very much how he comes across to me, and I think it is fitting for the character of Spencer, a young man who has been pampered, spoiled, and entitled his entire life while at the same time being neglected and even abandoned by those who were supposed to nurture and protect him. His actions have been despicable more than once and his attitude towards Ava has been reprehensible.  However, with this actor I get a glimpse of an insecure young man who most of all envied the stability and love he felt Cameron, Joss and Emma always had. When NB was in the role, however, I only saw a spoiled brat that I wanted to smack!

I won't be surprised if he's not around Daytime for long.   But then again, sometimes really talented people get stuck in Daytime for some reason.  Either way, I am enjoying him now. 

• Love 11

I've noticed, especially when he is upset, that the Spenser actor will hold his arms in a rigid, awkward way, just like little OG Spenser used to do. I wonder if this actor studied old clips and tried to incorporate the mannerism. 

So, are the five three families EVER going to react to Sonny being alive? Would this not cause as much concern in their minds as it did when Sonny died and they thought Jason and Carly would fight over who is in charge. Are they not concerned about a similar battle between Jason and Sonny? Will Jason marry Sonny to calm their fears??! 

• LOL 14
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

So, are the five three families EVER going to react to Sonny being alive? Would this not cause as much concern in their minds as it did when Sonny died and they thought Jason and Carly would fight over who is in charge. Are they not concerned about a similar battle between Jason and Sonny? Will Jason marry Sonny to calm their fears??! 

and no blow back about the explosion at the wedding causing the death of 2 families, ???

• Love 14
12 hours ago, CeChase said:

I won't be surprised if he's not around Daytime for long.   But then again, sometimes really talented people get stuck in Daytime for some reason.  Either way, I am enjoying him now. 

My thoughts exactly. I'll be shocked if the CW (at the least) doesn't snatch him up by next pilot season. I thought he was terrible his first few episodes, but he's really settled into the role. 

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, rur said:

Maybe someday he'll be able to get into Julliard.

LOL, maybe LWB can put in a good word for him.

But, yes, I'll echo that I think he's really doing a good job portraying Spencer's entitled brattiness, but with a hidden vulnerability.  And some scenes I think he's outright scared of Esme, which he probably should be.

• Love 15

Mistah Sheffield: Peter, you are alive because of me. 
Me: Well, i just hate you. 
Mistah Sheffield: execute him
Me: I take it back <3 

Oh son of a bitch. are you serious? of course Peter turned the guards when Drew was there for years (with money) and couldn't. 

LOL yes, of course googling huntingdon's disease is what caused Lisel to be kidnapped. just.. shutup show. 

Drew is just showing what an amazing father he is. Take notes, show. That's a great father. Not Sonny. Not Michael. Not Jason. This guy. 

Peter: Let's go kill good guys
Drew: NO! (and he tries to kill peter. I love Drew). 
Drew failed to kill Peter. My love diminishes

Anna: I'm not going to shoot to kill. Shut up, Anna
Robert: I am. (I love you Robert).

So let me me just get this straight. Robert and Anna walk by where Peter ends up being. Valentine and Drew JUST walk by there, but Peter just HAPPENS to be behind him and is able to shoot Valentine and Drew a zillion times with bullets? Is he the Flash? Is he Nightcrawler? No one saw him? he just appeared? COME THE HELL ON SHOW.

Also, Robert. you had a clear shot. you could have blown Peter's head off. You didn't. I don't love you now.Where is Lisel? She woulda done it. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
7 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Also, Robert. you had a clear shot. you could have blown Peter's head off. You didn't. I don't love you now.Where is Lisel? She woulda done it. 

Everyone needs to stop promising they're going to shoot Peter. We know they won't. The shock will be when Jason shoots and misses. My money is on Maxie and BLQ to get the job done. 

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Everyone needs to stop promising they're going to shoot Peter. We know they won't. The shock will be when Jason shoots and misses. My money is on Maxie and BLQ to get the job done. 

my money is on BaileyLou at the rate the show is going. 

• LOL 16
Just now, absnow54 said:

Everyone needs to stop promising they're going to shoot Peter. We know they won't.

SERIOUSLY. I cannot with the Peter nonsense. And it's diminished returns to keep threatening to kill him and not doing anything. It's not going to make me shocked when (prays it's when) it finally happens, it will make me say "Finally."

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

SERIOUSLY. I cannot with the Peter nonsense. And it's diminished returns to keep threatening to kill him and not doing anything. It's not going to make me shocked when (prays it's when) it finally happens, it will make me say "Finally."

Maybe Faison's ghost can do the job. It would make me cackle with glee if they could get Anders Hove for two minutes to rid me of Heinrik.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I miss how delightfully anti-climactic his first death was. There was so much build up to everyone hating him and the two weeks of him lying at the bottom of the stairs, but it was just as simple as Finn shoving him down the stairs and he and Liz stashing the body. Now careered super spies can't aim their stupid guns. 

• Love 5

So Curtis looks like Curtis and he likes art and culture??  Swoooon. He’s dreamy. But are we just dropping the Curtis is maybe Trina’s dad story AGAIN??  Portia was giving no indication of that today.  These writers are nutty.

Loved all things Scotty. He’s so awesome. Also I forgot to comment last week about Jason pretty much teleporting to Britt’s office when she said she needed help. He looked like an excited puppy when he showed up at her door. Sweet, but also kinda pathetic. 

• Love 6

Anyone happen to catch the Y&R wedding last week of Victoria Newman and Ashland Locke?

Got to give credit to Y&R for throwing fabulous weddings. This one was fantastic - didn't look like an afterthought like on GH. I think it was two summers ago Y&R had an even more extravagant wedding of Kyle and Lola. Really a fantasy wonderland! Somehow they were able to budget it in. 

How come we can't have nice things like that? 😑

Edited by seasons
Are the gh salaries eating up the budget maybe?
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Daisy said:

Drew is just showing what an amazing father he is. Take notes, show. That's a great father. Not Sonny. Not Michael. Not Jason. This guy. 

So I’ve always been a fan of Cameron Mathison but I really liked Billy Miller as Drew so I was iffy on this recast. I’ve been so pleasantly surprised!  I think CM is doing great and yes, the love for his daughter is beautiful. I liked him and Valentin bonding over being girl dads.

5 hours ago, Daisy said:

I feel like Liesl is the only one ballsy enough to take out Peter. Everyone else is just bluffing.

Today’s ending was soapy though.  For some reason, I didn’t see it coming. JPS and CM were both over the top dramatic after being shot, which I thought was good soap. 

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, seasons said:

Anyone happen to catch the Y&R wedding last week of Victoria Newman and Ashland Locke?

Got to give credit to Y&R for throwing fabulous weddings. This one was fantastic - didn't look like an afterthought like on GH. I think it was two summers ago Y&R had an even more extravagant wedding of Kyle and Lola. Really a fantasy wonderland! Somehow they were able to budget it in. 

How come we can't have nice things like that? 😑

i saw your edit note - I think YR's salaries are just as costly. they just focus on the good stuff at times. (ie: romance, etc) vs. stuff like mob shootouts over and over and over again. 

• Love 3

LOL that Liesl thinks Sam is the type of mother who won't let her child forget her father. Sam is the kind of mother who forgets she's a mother.

I'm sorry to see Hot Australian Guard take a bullet, but that's what you get for throwing your lot in with Peter.

I see the MetroCourt pool has been repurposed. I rewatched that dumb gunfight more times than is healthy. Drew is three feet away from Peter and apparently has a semiautomatic, yet still can't even graze Peter. Is Peter using a hologram?

LOL at tomorrow's "preview": Drew floating in the water. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I can't with Kelly Monaco.  When Sam saw Victor= no emotion meanwhile DZ is doing the shocked bug eyes.  Like at least put some effort into it.

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

LOL that Liesl thinks Sam is the type of mother who won't let her child forget her father. Sam is the kind of mother who forgets she's a mother.

I'm sorry to see Hot Australian Guard take a bullet, but that's what you get for throwing your lot in with Peter.

I see the MetroCourt pool has been repurposed. I rewatched that dumb gunfight more times than is healthy. Drew is three feet away from Peter and apparently has a semiautomatic, yet still can't even graze Peter. Is Peter using a hologram?

The Drew/Peter shootout scene was so stupid.  Apparently a trained navy seal can't handle a machine gun and get a shot off. Also Peter was going in such slow motion yet came out clean as a whistle.  Just ridiculous.

The show wasn't bad today but those two things sucked.

Edited by Hater
  • Love 6

The last two episodes have been filled with lots of soapy goodness. Me likey. In other news, Peter August tops Lex Luthor and Magneto as the world's most dangerous Super Villain.

Kudos to the poster who noted what a big kick KT seems to get out of Kin Shriner. Her whole face literally lights up when he goes on a riff and it's very nice to see.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, seasons said:

Maybe Drew and Valentin were wearing vests? 

As my 13 yr old was freakin out beside me (!) first words out of my mouth was that for sure Drew was wearing one, because he managed to get that black jacket off of someone, though Valentin's shot looked like it went right through, so I'm guessing no vest for him but nowhere near vital organs.  He'll be in the hospital for a bit, giving Anna a chance to realize her feelings for him.  

• Love 9

I don't remember such unity on a board.  Die Peter, die.

"I'm assuming all roads lead to Crete" "And there Cassadines lie" Talk about a painful mixed metaphor.

If Victor is hacking into computers, why would he backing into Obrecht's who he is obsessed with?

1 hour ago, Daisy said:

LOL yes, of course googling huntingdon's disease is what caused Lisel to be kidnapped. just.. shutup show. 

I loved both Drew's concentration of Scout with Obrecht's reverse hypnosis. And surprisingly accurate for once.

We have an age for Scout: four going on five. And a double orphan apparently

Valtentin:  "Kind of a cosmic joke." (LOL)  So are Sam and Dante.

I am enjoying Victor this episode because of Mistah Sheffield's timing.

The episode ground to a halt when they cut to Curtis and Portia. Although he did pronounce Magritte properly.

Who was the man in the hat and why does he look so familiar?

17 hours ago, Blackie said:

and no blow back about the explosion at the wedding causing the death of 2 families, ???

Isn't that the sort of thing that starts mob wars? Not even the police care.

On 10/15/2021 at 7:58 PM, perkie1968 said:

I loved KG's hair but I had to laugh that Drew's been beaten up 8907 times whereas Liesl looks like she's freshly showered and made up. 

I wouldn't be surprised if she bathes in the blood of her enemies.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I attributed this to her trying to be kind to someone who's been imprisoned for more than 9 months, since we know in real GH life the only photo that Scout might see would be those at the Q mansion. 

3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

"I'm assuming all roads lead to Crete" "And there Cassadines lie"

So Cassadine Island is Crete now? Or is it just a place where they don't tell the truth? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Magritte

Who is not a part of classical art, writers. Were they afraid saying he's a Surrealist would be too sophisticated for the viewers? GOD.

7 minutes ago, statsgirl said:
On 10/15/2021 at 7:58 PM, perkie1968 said:

I loved KG's hair but I had to laugh that Drew's been beaten up 8907 times whereas Liesl looks like she's freshly showered and made up. 

I wouldn't be surprised if she bathes in the blood of her enemies.

I never thought otherwise, TBH.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

I feel like Liesl is the only one ballsy enough to take out Peter. Everyone else is just bluffing.

She'd do it and not even blink twice. Give her the damn gun.

35 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

Today’s ending was soapy though.  For some reason, I didn’t see it coming. JPS and CM were both over the top dramatic after being shot, which I thought was good soap. 

This and 

30 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

This made me die laughing. It just looked so comical at the end with Drew in the water. And this entire ridiculous Peter has all the guards on his side and can be shot at close range yet not be touched is freaking insulting. This is no longer a soap, it's a comedy. Well, it's tragic too since we're still stuck with him. I've never hated a character more. And my RL hatred for the relationship of LW and LWB because would we still be stuck with him otherwise? 

Drew was worrying that Scout wouldn't remember him, and I was saying does she remember her mother?

Britt for the win scolding Scotty about the pop up ad lol.

• Love 9
27 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I don't remember such unity on a board.  Die Peter, die.

I'll break up the unity then because, no, I don't want to see him die. At this point, I'm just amused at how much people's head keep exploding at how often he escapes death.

13 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

And my RL hatred for the relationship of LW and LWB because would we still be stuck with him otherwise? 

Probably. There's no real evidence he's still here because of her. As others have pointed out, if they were determined to keep him simply because of her, they could just give him a new role. I think the show likes the idea of having Faison's kid escape death as much as he did. They think it's a smart parallel.

I laughed myself silly at that dummy in the water at the end of the episode. It was so fake. And what a ridiculous preview. Just don't show a preview at all if that's all you've got. 

I think Drew was definitely wearing a vest. I think there was "blood" when Valentin was shot, so he wasn't. I know Valentin isn't dead, but I wasn't sorry to see him shot.

Whoever that guy is watching Curtis - way to be subtle, dude! He stuck out like a sore thumb with that hat and he was just staring straight ahead.

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

But are we just dropping the Curtis is maybe Trina’s dad story AGAIN??  Portia was giving no indication of that today.  These writers are nutty.

Plus it seemed like she never knew him before. Did they actually date before, or just a ONS?

He is hot though for sure.

Oh Scotty, you clicked on a pop-up !!😅

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

So the WSB agent guarding Sam/Dante just decides to defy orders and let them go interfere in an important operation. They didn't even come up with something clever or trick him, they just mentioned Scout. Whatevs.

Why all the rehash about how great Aunt Saint Stella is? Why do I feel like I am in for another lame story arc.

And again they make Anna look so lame, saying she didn't want to kill Peter and yelling out "VALENTIN!!!" instead of something actually useful and tactical like "TAKE COVER!" or "BEHIND YOU!"  

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Every time someone writes LWB or LWB/FS, it fills my cold heart with warm glee. 

But now he's really crossed the line, trying to hurt Mr. Sheffield!  He's a widower with three children to support!

Mr.  Sheffield and Miss Fine had twins together - I just watched a re-run!  So poor man has five kids!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

Drew was shirtless when he attacked Peter, but apparently then paused and put on a shirt before fleeing. Okay then.

Anyone else see the guy watching Curtis and Portia and assume he was Curtis supposedly-dead father?

And Aunt Stella's . . . what?  The love of her life?  I think we already met him a while back.  Secret love?  If Stella weren't played by such an amazing actress . . .

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

Drew was shirtless when he attacked Peter, but apparently then paused and put on a shirt before fleeing.

It looked like a jacket, which probably included a bullet proof vest.  He probably grabbed it off a guard.  

• Love 2

How is Victor a supposed bad guy?

Seriously! I giggled when Sam and Dante opened the door and he came face to face with the guns and told them to put away those things, because he seemed to just really hate guns. And then he wanted them to flee together because Peter is unhinged.

Also, BUT OF COURSE!!! Peter turned the guards against Victor. Guards who had been loyal for years.

I must've missed a few scenes here and there with Drew and Valentin because I was busy FFing through the Curtis and Portia scenes. Portia, girl, Curtis will dump you the moment you disappoint him. Cut your losses before it's too late. 

Anna won't shoot to kill. Anna barely has a functioning brain cell when it comes to Peter, still. I had such high hopes for you, Anna.

When are we going to get rid of this clown? Peter running around needs to stop. But I'm assuming that Jason will arrive just in time to be the one to kill him. Never mind all the people Jason should be lining up behind.

The way Navy Seal Drew reacted to Peter was extremely disappointing. It's great that he managed to miss the freakin' blimp. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Hater said:

I can't with Kelly Monaco.  When Sam saw Victor= no emotion

And then she's standing totally exposed in a hallway, with her back to an entryway when Victor is telling her there are gunmen all over the place...and she casually puts her gun away. 

Great ending scene, hilarious "preview." 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

So many people have tried but failed to kill Peter, could it be that Port Charles once again has a vampire on it's hands?  Could the undead Caleb Morley/Stephan Clay be hanging out in the sealed sub basement of GH?  Both Elizabeth and Finn thought he was dead when they put him in Helena's freezer, what if vampire Caleb/Stephan  turned him?  That is the only logical reason I can come up with to explain why all of these WSB agents have failed to kill the son of a bitch.

If I were playing Clue my guess would be

Liesl Olbrect--in Crete--with a flying wooden dagger thru the heart.

I think I have been watching too much What We Do in the Shadows.

Edited by movingtargetgal
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

So many people have tried but failed to kill Peter, could it be that Port Charles once again has a vampire on it's hands?  Could the undead Caleb Morley/Stephan Clay be hanging out in the sealed sub basement of GH?  Both Elizabeth and Finn thought he was dead when they put him in Helena's freezer, what if vampire Caleb/Stephan  turned him?  That is the only logical reason I can come up with to explain why all of these WSB agents have failed to kill the son of a bitch.

If I were playing Clue my guess would be

Liesl Olbrect--in Crete--with a flying wooden dagger thru the heart.

I think I have been watching too much What We Do in the Shadows.

Pretty sure Peter will make it back to Port Chuckles to find his baby.  This ain't over yet, folks.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

And again they make Anna look so lame, saying she didn't want to kill Peter and yelling out "VALENTIN!!!" instead of something actually useful and tactical like "TAKE COVER!" or "BEHIND YOU!"  

This is my problem. They dumb everyone else down to make Peter come out on top. He outsmarted Victor? He's a better shooter than a Navy Seal? And he somehow gets the jump on Anna, Robert, and Valentin? Spare me. 🙄🙄🙄

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
52 minutes ago, KayVeeTeeVee said:

Pretty sure Peter will make it back to Port Chuckles to find his baby.  This ain't over yet, folks.

That's what I was thinking. Can't get rid of him before he gets to Maxie and them. Anna and company will have to focus on Drew and Valentin, and Peter will get away...again!

• Love 1