Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Michael doesn't always win in the end, this is a soap opera after all, but it seems that he always gets things handed to him without having to work for them. Did any of us doubt that he would get both Wylie and Willow without even trying even though Lucas was a better parent and Chase a more interesting boyfriend?

23 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Heh - I remembered that right before you commented. Let the kidnapping and pistol-whipping begin!  It'll be good for what ails him.

The Corinthos mob family gives out the pistol whipping, not receives it. And the second generation, except for Morgan, is protected.

19 minutes ago, Gigi43 said:

Alexis having no sense of Kristina got sucked into the same cult as Harmony, only it seems Harmony lacked anyone to pull her out, to have any kind of empathy was annoying. Her french mani is also annoying, you're suppose to be in prison

Harmony was an adult with a husband and child. She was an accessory in Shiloh murdering her husband and offered her child to the cult and its leader. Alexis knew that Kristina was mixed up but also barely out of her teens. Of course she's not going to trust the cult second in command, especially when she helped Cyrus and is now helping Ryan, the most dangerous of them all.

I think french manicures are annoying period but what else is there to do in prison?

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, jqdeco said:

Am I the only one that likes Austin?  I have no idea what he really wants but I like him so far.

Eh. I'm not sold. That's probably just being burned out on Howarth, though, I expect I'd have more patience with the character if he were played by someone else.

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Harmony was an adult with a husband and child. She was an accessory in Shiloh murdering her husband and offered her child to the cult and its leader. Alexis knew that Kristina was mixed up but also barely out of her teens. Of course she's not going to trust the cult second in command, especially when she helped Cyrus and is now helping Ryan, the most dangerous of them all.

I think french manicures are annoying period but what else is there to do in prison?

If Kristina's family hadn't had the resources to pull her out, who's to say she wouldn't have murdered anyone for Shiloh? Kristina she is an adult. Harmony didn't start out as second in command, I'm sure.   

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, jqdeco said:

Am I the only one that likes Austin?  I have no idea what he really wants but I like him so far. 

I love him so far! 

But then I'm an admitted RoHo "stan." Not really a stan, of course, but I always enjoy him on my screen. I literally started watching soaps b/c of his portrayal of Todd Manning. I followed him from OLTL to ATWT back to OLTL and then was happy to see him on GH - in any form honestly. 

I would prefer if Franco were still here, but I'm good w/Austin! 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, lala2 said:

I would prefer if Franco were still here, but I'm good w/Austin! 

Ah, @lala2, this is where we differ. I thought Franco was an obscenity and I fear that role has soured me on Howarth permanently. A pity, since I used to enjoy him a great deal.

What's ironic is that Austin Holt is exactly the kind of role I wanted to see Howarth in, when he came to GH. A long-lost Quartermaine or Tom Hardy or something quite different from Todd Manning. While Franco always came across as Just Like Todd: Only Dumber and Shittier.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Monica was WAAAAY too nice to Carly.  I get that she's agreed to grin and bear it for Jason and Michael's sakes, but she could have thrown some kind of shade or issued some kind of warning about hurting her son.  Boo.

And Carly, local mob queen, lover of mob dong, chiding Cameron for using a gun was just beyond.

• Love 17
12 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

It's a reference to a scene on OLTL. Clint Buchanan found out his wife, Nora, was having an affair with his brother, Bo. He arranged for Nora to walk in on himself in bed with his assistant, Kim (played by Amanda Setton). Nora was shocked and outraged and then Clint told her a) he knew about her and Bo and b) he didn't actually sleep with Kim, he just wanted her to know how he felt.

It was a much better story than this one. First of all, Bo and Nora were a one-time supercouple whose reunion fans had been wanting for over a decade. Second, they weren't actually sleeping together at that point, it was an emotional affair. Third, Clint, Nora, and Bo were all portrayed by excellent actors and there was room to sympathize with all parties, while also recognizing when they were wrong. As actor Jerry verDorn (Clint) said, "the villain is the situation."

I was never a fan of Nora, but that storyline was so well done. When Clint and Kim got together for real? It should have been squicky, but it wasn't at all. They were great together.

It took Amanda Sefton awhile to settle into the role of Brook Lyn, but since her return either the writing is better, or she's made the character her own. Possibly both.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Cassiopeia said:

It took Amanda Sefton awhile to settle into the role of Brook Lyn, but since her return either the writing is better, or she's made the character her own. Possibly both.

I think ditching the feud with Lulu has been helpful, it was mostly a bad look on BLQ (and an even worse one on Lulu).  And with Lulu out of the way, Brook was able to have this story and form this relationship with Maxie that she never would have otherwise.

I actually...don't miss Lulu at all.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Cassiopeia said:

Agreed. I wasn't a fan when she took over the role, but AS and the character has grown on me. Think it started when the writers stopped trying to make her Tracy 2.0. I also get a kick how she's branded herself as "BLQ," even though every time I hear it there's an urge for a BLT sandwich - but not from Kelly's.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Artsda said:

Carly lecturing anyone on why they picked up a gun is ridiculous.

That was funny. I think it’s the writers way of trolling the fans. As, Laura Wright always says, If it’s on the page I say it and don’t question it. Obviously, Carly even thinking that let alone saying it out loud is beyond hypocritical and ridiculous all at once. 

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Agreed. I wasn't a fan when she took over the role, by AS and the character has grown on me. Think it started when the writers stopped trying to make her Tracy 2.0. I also get a kick how she's branded herself as "BLQ," even though every time I hear it there's an urge for a BLT sandwich - but not from Kelly's.

That said, she does drive me nuts with her mouth curling thing or whatever it is that she does. Maybe, it’s just me who notices it but I can’t decide if it’s an action choice or just a tic she has. I don’t recall her on OLTL doing that but that was so long ago I might have forgotten it. Other than that she’s doing a great job as Q who supports the family but other people around her like Chase, Maxie and even Valentin. The writers have really made her a such a well rounded character. Now, if they could just dress her nicer instead of putting her in those big jackets and dark clothes. I know she had a baby but that was quite a while ago and she only looks bigger because of those oversized jackets. IMO!

• Love 8

Really liking Austin and his sort of bemused yet seemingly sinister interest in th Q clan. Loving him with Chase.

5 hours ago, jqdeco said:

I'm with you!

• Love 13

A difference between Stella and Carly: I find it hard to imagine Carly being that mortified at her own behavior and apologetic if, say, Aiden was in a hospital hallway and overheard Carly going off on Liz over something from Liz's past. In her next kitchen powwow around the moss with Jason (or whoever), she'd just say something like, "I feel bad that Aiden overheard me, but karma's a bitch, you know? Secrets have a way of coming back to bite you when you least expect it." And while saying she "felt bad," there would be nothing in Laura Wright's expression or tone to suggest feeling bad, and that would be spot-on acting from LW. Nothing's ever really Carly's fault. 

Since I haven't put the Vernee Watson-Johnson pom-poms away from my last post on the subject, I thought her portrayal of Stella's disorientation and collapse was excellent. Just about a minute of screen time, but she made it really scary and sad.

Comment seen elsewhere: "I hope Willow and Michael can find the strength from each other to fight against Chase and Austin." LOL. That's the best one since "When I see that proud, beautiful man taking responsibility for something he didn't do...there are no words." (Re: Sonny thinking he had slept with Nelle.) 

NuSpencer really looks as though he could be GF's grandson. Not only that, if they had had Laura and Kevin hook up about 20 years earlier and they had a son, he'd be just about right.

I didn't really catch it until someone else here mentioned it, but yeah, the Harmony/Terry resemblance is a thing.

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I actually...don't miss Lulu at all.

I don't, either, and that's really a testament to how badly she was written. The daughter of Luke and Laura should be a second lead, not a comatose nincompoop.

37 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

Comment seen elsewhere: "I hope Willow and Michael can find the strength from each other to fight against Chase and Austin." LOL.

Oh, lord. Yes, the person who's being lied to is the big villain here. 

• Love 12
43 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Oh, lord. Yes, the person who's being lied to is the big villain here. 

because the liar is being kept away from his own true love this week dontchaknow. 

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, seasons said:

Nope!  I like him too!  I really hope he will be a friend to Chase. I love his reactions to all these nutso PC residents. 

• Love 9

UGH. So, so gross. I know it's a soap, but damn. In real life, Chase, even if he hadn't seen the bed, the condom, would have smelled the sex on Willow, seeing as neither she or WSLS, took a shower after their banging.

And she doesn't even act like his wife--barely shows him any affection and treats him more like a patient/stranger than someone she married. Even that kiss at the end? More like an acquaintance kiss.

But like others, it pleases me to see Willow squirm. The WSLS? I can't tell what he feels; all he does is look off in the distance with same "duh?" look on his face. 

It's beyond insulting, but so typical, that they think Chase is so weak in the mind that telling him the truth would kill him. It won't kill him once he's walking again, though! Whatever. And I guess this fakakta show is going with paralyzed = not being able to perform sexually. I've read books that have taken on this and the heroes were able to have sex and "be a man/[husband]/lover" with no problems.

But enough about those two.

I'm wondering why Brooklyn is wearing such heavy blazers and clothing and not a single summer outfit?

Spencer is such an unmitigated asshole. Makes me wish Luke were still around--he'd have seen through this piece of shit and done something. Yeah, I said it. Laura is still wearing blinders where this asshole is concerned.

While Stella annoys me, I adore Vernee Watson Johnson from waaay back (Welcome Back, Kotter, Fresh Prince) to her one day stint as the chain smoking secretary for Murphy Brown.

She was amazing in her last scene before she collapsed.

Everything else was just fast forward material for me.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, seasons said:

Ah, the gate house.

I remember when Alan had Susan Moore holed up there.

I don't think Susan ever lived there (Ned and Lois did).  Alan bought her a cottage.  You can see it in this clip starting at the 2:38 mark:

• Love 1

The cottage was across the lake, IIRC. That way Alan and Susan could see each other, but she was far enough away that no Qs would stumble across her. Alan could be foolhardy, but he wasn't so stupid to put his mistress and love child on the same estate as his family.

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

The cottage was across the lake, IIRC. That way Alan and Susan could see each other, but she was far enough away that no Qs would stumble across her. Alan could be foolhardy, but he wasn't so stupid to put his mistress and love child on the same estate as his family.

Yes!  Man, I liked that cottage.  I think at some point later Bobbie and Brock lived there when they were married.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

A difference between Stella and Carly: I find it hard to imagine Carly being that mortified at her own behavior and apologetic if, say, Aiden was in a hospital hallway and overheard Carly going off on Liz over something from Liz's past. In her next kitchen powwow around the moss with Jason (or whoever), she'd just say something like, "I feel bad that Aiden overheard me, but karma's a bitch, you know? Secrets have a way of coming back to bite you when you least expect it." And while saying she "felt bad," there would be nothing in Laura Wright's expression or tone to suggest feeling bad, and that would be spot-on acting from LW. Nothing's ever really Carly's fault. 

Hah, LW went so far as to say yesterday that “Carly is right almost one hundred percent of the time. But how she goes about proving her point is always wrong.” Okay. 🙄

5 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

Since I haven't put the Vernee Watson-Johnson pom-poms away from my last post on the subject, I thought her portrayal of Stella's disorientation and collapse was excellent. Just about a minute of screen time, but she made it really scary and sad.

Yeah, as much as I've hated Stella the last few days, Vernee genuinely made me feel for her yesterday. Even just her apologizing, she was clearly and visibly upset, so much to the point that it affected her health. Like Carly could ever. Really good acting because I practically excused everything from her lol.

Spencer is freaking evil, y'all. He walks around with that serial killer look in his eyes. Scary. I have a feeling that he's going to set up Cameron at this party of his so that he'll get in trouble and won't be able to see Joss. And then they'll be the Romeo and Juliet of Port Charles. GAG. And those adoring looks of Josslyn that she was giving yesterday? Good lord, girl. He's just a guy, have some respect for yourself.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

And those adoring looks of Josslyn that she was giving yesterday? Good lord, girl. He's just a guy, have some respect for yourself.

Aw, I liked Joss going all googly-eyes at Cam. It's about time she looked outside of herself.

• Love 8
35 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Aw, I liked Joss going all googly-eyes at Cam. It's about time she looked outside of herself.

You can definitely tell that I'm dead inside from watching this show. Maybe it's because I think JossCam are the blandest of bland, have no chemistry and are only a few steps shy of Millow in the exciting department. I just can't muster up any enjoyment. I do like Cam on his own and his friendship with Trina.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

You can definitely tell that I'm dead inside from watching this show. Maybe it's because I think JossCam are the blandest of bland, have no chemistry and are only a few steps shy of Millow in the exciting department. I just can't muster up any enjoyment. I do like Cam on his own and his friendship with Trina.

nah it's okay. I mean the googly eyes are sweet i think they are doing a good job at being in love - but i just hate them together (in my mind until proven otherwise, Joss will be a terrible girlfriend and put other people over Cam esp. if they are murdering murderers) so to me it's just a matter of time before they blow up. (ad they are boring because i don't think they have chemistry either). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Now, if they could just dress [BLQ] nicer instead of putting her in those big jackets and dark clothes. I know she had a baby but that was quite a while ago and she only looks bigger because of those oversized jackets. IMO!

I remember what Original Recipe Edward (who I'll always love) once told Lila about Tracy Q, "well, she's always been a Horsey woman - you know - Big Boned." Boy, that comment wouldn't play well with today audience at all.

ETA - I still miss JE a lot, she would add so much to GH's canvass right now. And the way she exited last time around was horrible.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

Stella had a stroke? Geezeee. :(
(I thought your face drooped and words slurred so i learned something new?). Now she doesn't remember the divorce papers. 

Jax calls BS on Carly's tru wuv and wants details.
Carly: Joss hasn't been touched by this world 
me: can Joss seriously be "touched" by the world. severely?
Show: insert Joey Novak
Me: can i have a million dollars? (I honestly didn't expect that to happen so fast). Also I have to say if someone who looked/acted like Joey Novak came up to me like that, I'd have the sense God gave a gnat and at least be polite, not be all sassy sass. But Joss is all Carly mode activated. also. Joss - Carly did ask for this. Joss this is not normal or okay

Honestly, I don't even know what Jax can do about this. I'm not..... I mean I like Jax and all even though sometimes he can be a jerk and dumb. so I'd hate for him to lose his only child - but I think it would be great for the show to kill off Joss (via Novak) because maybe it will finally sink in to Carly. Because unlike Morgan that she can handwave - Joss would die directly because of Carly's need to be a mobster too. 

Brit has no time for Terry. I do think right now she is throwing a temper tantrum. but they are all good and they are taking the job. 

Brando is showing Jason what is more important (His child over being a mobster). Jason is all "but but.... you defended Carly!" Brando "yah and Sasha gave me crap about it." 

Cam is the sweetest cinnamon roll ever. He's upset about the papers. Like he was going to cry that the envelope got wet and he couldn't mail it for her. sweetie pie!!

What kind of doctor is Portia? It just seems she treats everyone regardless of their ailment?

hahahaha "You are an Aussie - you were born with a sunburn"

HAHAHAHAAHHA. 
Carly: I feel sorry for Britt. 
Jax: Yah I don't think Britt wants your pity
Carly: stink face activated. 

Cam: see how Joss treated you? See how mobsters are coming after Joss? See how Joss is all "this is family business back off." and instead of freaking out that a mobster is after her she's all like. "Time to figure things out ahoy!". RUN. RUN NOW. FIND A NORMAL GIRL WHO DOESN'T THINK MOB LIFE IS OKAY! LET'S GO! (Joss was so "this is sooo normal" when talking to Carly. geeze)

• Love 13

Stella had a stroke? Geezeee. :(
(I thought your face drooped and words slurred so i learned something new?). 

Not always.  If you get them to medical care quickly and they get the right medication they're usually ok.  

What kind of doctor is Portia? It just seems she treats everyone regardless of their ailment?

She's supposed to be internal medecine but GH doctors treat everyone for eveything, no matter their specialty.  

Cam: see how Joss treated you? See how mobsters are coming after Joss? See how Joss is all "this is family business back off." and instead of freaking out that a mobster is after her she's all like. "Time to figure things out ahoy!". RUN. RUN NOW. FIND A NORMAL GIRL WHO DOESN'T THINK MOB LIFE IS OKAY! LET'S GO! (Joss was so "this is sooo normal" when talking to Carly. geeze)

This.  So much, this.

I loved everything Jax/Britt but I can't get anything nice.

I laughed so hard at Sasha's intro of BLQ to Gladys as her assistant and BLQ's disgust of everything Gladys.  Although, wasn't it just last summer that BLQ was working as Ned's assistant and messing up every five minutes and now she's the marketing exec for Deception and in need of her own assistant.  Ah, they grow up so fast!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I'm going to need a break from Curtis/Portia/Stella for a little bit. I feel like they've been on every day for the last two weeks and it hasn't even been interesting. A little today. Glad that Stella will be alright. Of course she can't remember the divorce papers lol. How soapy.

Carly is stupid and a bad mother if she thought that nothing was going to happen to her kid. Dumbass is just out and about with no guard, meanwhile the rival family is getting all the 411 on her and able to just walk up to her like it's no big deal. But it's Cam who has the problem. Right.

I was hoping that Jax (blech) and Britt would be able to piece together and figure out the obvious as to why Jason and Carly are getting married. It doesn't take a rocket scientist, kids. I guess they'll reason it as they don't know enough about the business. Still. I just wanted some forward momentum. 

Line of the day came from Gladys when BLQ asked her about her background for the job and she said she was part Irish, part Lithuanian, etc. I feel like she's going to figure out the Bailey secret and then blackmail Brook Lynn about it.

Looks like tomorrow is All About Hayden. Either bring her back or shut up.

Edited by tvgoddess
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Portia has the best bedside manner ever.  She is so calm and collected.  Even when she was trying to reach Trina after Stella spilled the beans, she was so calm on the phone.  Goals.

I loved Jax dismissing Carly and saying Britt doesn’t need her pity.  

Gladys and Brooklyn should be interesting.  I think Gladys could actually be good at this job so they may make some sort of alliance/friendship/something.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

Line of the day came from Gladys when BLQ asked her about her background for the job and she said she was part Irish, part Lithuanian, etc.

And then Gladys said, "I don't think you can ask me about that." Hee.

• LOL 8
21 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Not always.  If you get them to medical care quickly and they get the right medication they're usually ok.  

Honestly, this is great. Because the commercials they have in Canada to warn people about strokes always goes to the slurry words, and droopy face, and what you are supposed to do (Like talk to them, etc etc so that seemed real) but i didn't know Stella was having a stroke mostly because again she wasn't slurred/droopy face. That's just something new to add to my arsenal. Legit: Good play show. That could save a life!

I am glad Stella is okay but they all need to step up the excitement. 

and Like I said. I don't really want to wish a lot of evil on Jax, but man would it be soapy if Joss died directly because of this.  - but Cam needs to dump Joss first. be sad for his friend, not his girlfriend. 

• Love 4

I liked the PSA about strokes that Cameron delivered. It fit into the show much more naturally and usefully than Anna's blood problem. Portia is head of internal medicine so shockingly this really was a case for her. But I thought that she was too condescending to Stella though who is not only 20+ years older and should have been addressed more formally by her doctor but is also a social worker who knows much of what Portia said. (The only one of my doctors who addresses me by my first name has known me for 20 years and is near retirement.)

Joss is only 18 and thus in the "I know everything" stage but it's really stupid leading with her chin to Joey Novak. She needs the mob stars removed from her eyes.

I like Jax and Britt scenes, there's no starry eyes there. Also like Terry forced to back down from being snotty to Briit.  Britt wore that style of dress better than Carly  did at Wiley's party.

So if Gladys is part Lithuanian and part Irish, she's no blood kin to Mike or Sonny.

Sasha owes Brook Lynn big time.

• Love 5
On 8/2/2021 at 1:27 PM, Bringonthedrama said:

I'm confused by what I think is another retcon. The last time Willow and Harmony saw each other was before Willow and Michael's MoC wedding.  They were getting along better; Willow even said something about starting to get her mother back. I think Harmony was on parole and Cyrus had a hand in that?

Yeah, I'm not sure why they did that...

Aife-s-WTF-face-lost-girl-39715943-500-2

• Love 4

I am 100% Team Chase, but if they start having him extract kisses from Willow when he knows she doesn't really want to kiss him, this will get skeevy real quick. I just don't think that is in Chase's character.

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Based on tomorrow's preview St. Jasus handles Joey Novak in the softest way possible. GH writers, if you're reading this, check out how a real gangsta, Tony Soprano handled a similar issue (note- not for the faint of heart): Don't mess with Meadow Soprano

I maybe watched one or two episodes of the Sopranos.

For me? Michael Corleone has everyone beat, with how he cleaned house after Vito's death and during Connie's second baby's christening in The Godfather.

Then there's the cold and calm way he dispatched Sollozzo and McCluskey.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Joss needs shot in the head, she's worshipping mob more than Michael. 

She's such a snot, too.  "I couldn't let him see I was afraid,"  So instead you put a bigger target on your back.  Such a smart girl--really can't believe SCU wait-listed you.

My big fear in this is that something happens and it's Cam or Trina who ends up getting hurt and not Princess Volleyball. 

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

She's such a snot, too.  "I couldn't let him see I was afraid,"  So instead you put a bigger target on your back.  Such a smart girl--really can't believe SCU wait-listed you.

My big fear in this is that something happens and it's Cam or Trina who ends up getting hurt and not Princess Volleyball. 

Right? Just so much hair tossing and "i'm better than you."
you don't have to show him that you were afraid but you didn't have to be a snot brat to him either. 

Well the bright side is that hopefully if it happens to Cam or Trina, they realize being friends with Joss isn't worth it and save themselves from thatworld.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Don't put that out there! In the past few years Cameron has been kidnapped twice, done endless community service for a drug buy for Joss' boyfriend, had his stepfather murdered and lost out on his scholarship to Stanford to stay and help his mother. Trina's also been kidnapped, thought her father had died and found out he was alive, had fake blood dumped on her and now realized that her mother had an affair before her parents' marriage ended.

What's happened to Joss? She thinks she's lost her stepfather who is really alive and injured her ankle by ignoring medical instructions and worst of all, was wait-listed for the university she wanted to get into

It's time for the mob-propper to have something happen to her for a change.

• Love 13

I actually didn’t hate Gladys today. She looked very nice in her coordinated outfit. Sasha being the boss is beyond stupid and I had forgotten that Brook Lynn worked at Deception. Johnny Wactor was shirtless and Steve Burton kept his on. I guess since he’s in the 50 and above stage he’s letting the young guys do the heavy lifting. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1