Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: What is our goal with this dialogue?

We aim to foster a kinder, more inclusive community. Suggesting extreme actions, even against fictional characters, detracts from this objective. Please focus on constructive and respectful discussions. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, CeChase said:

why are people so up in arms that he's out of prison even though he's a hitman?

You keep asking that--I'm not sure what answer you want.  For me, Shawn isn't needed on this show.  He wasn't a particularly big character in the past, and that past isn't all that interesting.  So I guess my question is: why do we need ANOTHER hitman on this show?  I don't care that he's out of prison--I just care that the writing sucks if he's actually going to be ON the show.

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • Love 12

It's the way Shawn got out of prison that's aggravating. He willingly made a plea deal for something he knew he didn't do, yet because of a racist judge, his sentence was unfair? As someone pointed out upthread, one of the reasons you take a plea deal in the first place is because the length of your sentence is usually a part of it, so you know what it's going to be. It's not as if the agreement was for, say, five years and the racist judge made it 15.

Shawn's case was not the one to use to make a point about racial injustice in the court system.

• Love 17
16 hours ago, jsbt said:

It's obvious they are trying to clear everyone who knew the truth about Hayden with this sudden retcon given the optics with Shawn today. That doesn't make it any less stupid. And Sean Blakemore is still the hottest man on the show, but I have zero faith they will give him anything to do. As a performer he always deserved better than what they gave him.

He got a lot of screentime but not much of substance during his first run. I think they’ve already given him more POV while he was in prison than in the 5-6 years he was on the show prior to this. He spent most of his time as Sonny’s lackey and being the worst hitman ever. The only stories I recall for him outside of that was his history with PTSD, revealing that he killed TJ’s father and finding out he was TJ’s biological father right as he was about to exit. 

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, CeChase said:

But so is most of the cast.  Jason is a killer who belongs in jail.  Ava is a killer who belongs in jail.  Sonny is a killer who belongs in jail.    That's the whole point.   People are up in arms over Shawn, why?

This might be tangential, but a point worth making about crime and (such as it is) punishment on GH is that characters -- of any race -- only really get the book thrown at them when the characters/actors aren't going to be around anymore.

I don't know whether Blakemore's 2015 departure was his own idea or production's. All the old articles I find just mention his "last day" and his "exit." But he was in several television movies and other series in that time range, so it's possible he just got busy with other, possibly better gigs. Other felonious characters you mention, Ava, Sonny, Jason, and you could add Franco and others, were played by actors who were/are locked in for a while, and their characters were part of the show's long-range plans. So, yeah, they will always get away with stuff. No matter how strong the case seems against them, there will be Reasons nothing sticks. Same with Alexis. She's doing time right now, but she'll keep rising from the ashes until Nancy Lee Grahn retires or the lights go out, whichever comes first. It won't surprise me a bit if Alexis is back arguing in court in a year.  

But criminal white characters such as Steven Lars Webber, Matt Hunter, and Melissa Bedford didn't skate by, because the characters were done and the actors who played them were leaving. I'd put Shawn in that category. His run was over for the time being. If it was Blakemore who decided to go do something else, the character wasn't one they'd bother with recasting.  

14 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

He spent most of his time as Sonny’s lackey and being the worst hitman ever. The only stories I recall for him outside of that was his history with PTSD, revealing that he killed TJ’s father and finding out he was TJ’s biological father right as he was about to exit. 

There was an affair with Alexis, although I was on the barge for most of that period. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 7
(edited)

Why did the grave plaque say "Jonah Michael Corinthos?" That baby is not Jonah, it is Willow's baby that Lucas and Brad named Wiley Cooper Jones. Wiley Corinthos is Jonah. Are you telling me no one even bothered to change the grave plaque when the truth came out, and Willow is fine with that?! WTF?!! 

Maybe Sam and Shawn can be a couple. That would spare Dante and make fast-forwarding a lot easier. 

Edited by TVbitch
  • LOL 9
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Shawn's case was not the one to use to make a point about racial injustice in the court system.

This show, which marginalizes it's minority characters by default, is ill-equipped to do a racial injustice at story all. @CeChase says that some in the audience don't want such a story, that it makes them uncomfortable. I think that's probably true. But for me, and I don't think I'm alone, I don't trust this show to do that story in any way that isn't half-assed, hypocritical lip service. It's like when they slapped a rainbow on the GH twitter feed and trotted Terry out for a D-story for Pride Month. I'm not going to give the show points for that.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Melgaypet said:

This show, which marginalizes it's minority characters by default, is ill-equipped to do a racial injustice at story all.

Well, yes. The show is ill-equipped to do most all stories, as your examples prove. Can't do medical stories, can't do business stories, can't do soapy stories.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually really like Michael's hairstyle right now. I think it's his most flattering one. I also like Chase's hair a lot.

Obviously mileage varies, and this is my personal preference. These two are some of the worst for me. Michael's makes him look even younger than he already is. And Chase's is just a big floppy mess. They both need haircuts stat. And yes, this is extremely shallow but it's better ranting about this than the writing.

3 hours ago, ffwbe said:

He got a lot of screentime but not much of substance during his first run. I think they’ve already given him more POV while he was in prison than in the 5-6 years he was on the show prior to this. He spent most of his time as Sonny’s lackey and being the worst hitman ever. The only stories I recall for him outside of that was his history with PTSD, revealing that he killed TJ’s father and finding out he was TJ’s biological father right as he was about to exit. 

I remember when we used to talk a lot about how his aim sucked. Ah, memories.

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Well, yes. The show is ill-equipped to do most all stories, as your examples prove. Can't do medical stories, can't do business stories, can't do soapy stories.

You start to wonder, what kind of stories can they actually do?

3 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

There was an affair with Alexis, although I was on the barge for most of that period. 

Didn't Shawn also hook up with Carly at some point? Or am I misremembering that? I hope so, because <shudder>.

1 hour ago, Melgaypet said:

This show, which marginalizes it's minority characters by default, is ill-equipped to do a racial injustice at story all. @CeChase says that some in the audience don't want such a story, that it makes them uncomfortable. I think that's probably true. But for me, and I don't think I'm alone, I don't trust this show to do that story in any way that isn't half-assed, hypocritical lip service. It's like when they slapped a rainbow on the GH twitter feed and trotted Terry out for a D-story for Pride Month. I'm not going to give the show points for that.

well. Soaps used to be vehicles for these types of things. the stories that make you uncomfortable, but make you look at what the world is at a time on your soap. It always has been (which is why I firmly believe soaps are needed on the air because Primetime can do like. a storyline on it, it's not every day - it's usually an episode or two maybe the touch on it at the end of the season . 

With a soap i mean theoretically you should be able to feel the ripple effects of a good story for years. I don't have a problem with them wanting to do a injustice story - but using Shawn as that focus is wrong. (and yeah if the argument he's hot and he should be out of jail, or others are killers and they should be in jail). well yeah (but then again let's call spades and the majority of any soap cast would be in jail). 

I don't have a problem with Shawn per se, but it's sort of like the Jason storyline earlier. The show is making me feel sorry for them that they have had the book thrown at them for a crime they didn't commit when they've committed countless crimes. (and Maybe Shawn will be a reformed flunky and never kill anyone again which honestly, cool i hope not) - but was in Jail for killing someone (or trying to), but he took a deal to avoid snarking on Sonny.  He took a deal, and then all of a sudden the deal is bad or something because the judge was racist? I guess they wanted to simply use the characters they had already instead of just introducing a new character who has been innocent (or wasn't a career mobster like Shawn), to do this story. To me it would have been stronger had it been someone who has only done white collar crime, or i dunno even did what Alexis did (so you can really see the disparity). 

They didn't do that. Usually the show has the concepts to tell a fantastic gripping story and they go with the easy way out, and then it's all "well guhhh look at what we did!!" So when Shawn complains about stuff it's like... shut up. 

Cameron is treating Jason (like how he's supposed to be treated) but he's wrong because Jason didn't kill Franco. (we're supposed to ignore the fact that Jason would have had zero qualms doing so if he felt like it warranted it, and it took Elizabeth threatening him (like it mattered) about what it would do to his son. Now he's dating a girl who flat out told him with her actions and words that Jason means more to her than Cam (her life long friend). even with the knowledge that he IS a killer, and that he COULD kill someone Cam cares about (even if it wasn't Franco this time) and Cam is like "Oh oh okay, can I stick my tongue down your throat now?"

(and someone brought up Monica - and again - I truly feel (and she basically said it to Jason. it's easier just not to say anything anymore - but she felt she needed to speak her peace about why she felt about this MOC) - most of her family has been murdered by association of Jason and his BFFS (and we saw what happened when she actually hated Jason (as she should), the show made her an alcoholic, hit someone with her car, had Jason clean it up and it was all forgiven apparently). She only has Micheal, Danny, Scout and Jake. (oh and Wiley). all of whom love Sonny and Carly or connected to their world via Jason - and all of them love Jason. (coz he's the father/father figure). They basically isolated Monica so if she actively hates Sonny (as she should) and wants keep Jason at arms length because he's a murdering murderer (as she should) she cuts her own arm off because Michael will never choose Monica over Jason, and the kids (at their age) won't get why Gramma doesn't like Daddy and cool uncle sonny and will choose them over her. She loses out again (which is why we need secret AJ children...)

the show sometimes has the ideas right there but i dunno why they just won't commit to it 
Someone pointed out. Willow is clearly not right in the head (because of DoD and the Baby death) why not make a real big story on that and her mental health? No because we're supposed tothink it's sweet that she thinks that her dead baby is hers and michaels)  there are a lot of things that the foundation is there but they always just. go with the easy lazy, "Corinthiii always win" way which just damages the story (and reactions that they wanted to have) 

• Love 9
(edited)
5 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Maybe Sam and Shawn can be a couple. That would spare Dante and make fast-forwarding a lot easier. 

I'm pretty sure Sean Blakemore's original character on GH was Sam's partner in crime/boyfriend when KMo was brought on the show. I wasn't really watching at that point because I had purged everything GH from my life.

About this whole Shawn leaving prison. So I don't think he was the right character to do a social justice storyline with. If Shawn had pleaded guilty because he was told by his lawyer to do so because he'd get less time in jail or if a dirty racist detective had fabricated evidence against him  and framed him for Hayden's attempted murder when he had nothing to do with it, then that's one thing. But Shawn actively and willingly took the fall for his boss. He was under Sonny's protection while he was at Pentonville. And when Carly called in a favor, he shivved Jason, no questions asked and because he felt he owed the Corinthos family for the protection he received in jail. Admittedly, it is a vicious circle. 

I think the writers went in half-assed as they usually do. Instead of having Shawn searching for who Hayden's shooter was after I don't know how many years have gone by and re-write the shit out of the story, why not have him try and go back to teaching in high school or university or whichever level he was teaching at, but have the door slammed in his face not only because of his past but also because of his skin color. That's something that happens in society every day. Then Shawn could have an actual storyline where he is trying to change things. TJ can get involved, it would give him more to do than sing Molly's praises and talk about their domestic partnership, which makes me wanna punch myself in the face every time they open their mouths to say those words. And TJ should have his own storyline outside of Molly. They shouldn't have to be a package deal. 

I think that the possibilities with Shawn were endless, but the writers chose a route with very minimal effort. Shawn was a mobster. That alone should get the book thrown at him. Ditto Jason and everyone close to the Corinthos organization. The fact that Jason being a murder is an open secret for everyone who knows him boggles the mind. The fact that he had people spew how Jason wasn't a sloppy killer was just so fucking insane. It's like the people around Jason don't even grasp what he is or have some serious cognitive dissonance when it comes to that dumbass.

About the past episodes, I missed a few of them, but I did catch that Willow/Michael scene when she was talking about her dead baby and how she wished it was Michael with her at the cemetery rather than Chase after acknowledging how Chase got her through it. Bitch, just die already! You and your lies and your simpering.

Also, take Michael with you. And Wylie. Just like you, they're not needed. Thanks!

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

why not have him try and go back to teaching in high school or university or whichever level he was teaching at, but have the door slammed in his face not only because of his past but also because of his skin color. That's something that happens in society every day.

He could probably teach adults, but not children, since he would be unable to pass a criminal record check. 

• Love 2

I like the idea of socially relevant stories being told on soap operas, it's a way to inform people while entertaining them as George Bernard Shaw said a century ago. That a black woman who didn't know she was not allowed to vote got 5 years in jail while a white man who deliberately voted in his dead mother's name got probation burns me up and I wish that were the type of woke story they told, maybe Stella in trouble for a broken tail light.  But as  @Daisy and  @YaddaYadda  said, Shawn the mob hitman is the wrong person to do this with. Jason is also a mob hitman and he's not in prison but that just means that I want Jason in Pentonville too not that I think Shawn should get out.

32 minutes ago, Daisy said:

(And someone brought up Monica - and again - I truly feel (and she basically said it to Jason. it's easier just not to say anything anymore - but she felt she needed to speak her peace about why she felt about this MOC) - most of her family has been murdered by association of Jason and his BFFS (and we saw what happened when she actually hated Jason (as she should), the show made her an alcoholic, hit someone with her car, had Jason clean it up and it was all forgiven apparently). She only has Micheal, Danny, Scout and Jake. (oh and Wiley). all of whom love Sonny and Carly or connected to their world via Jason - and all of them love Jason. (coz he's the father/father figure). They basically isolated Monica so if she actively hates Sonny (as she should) and wants keep Jason at arms length because he's a murdering murderer (as she should) she cuts her own arm off because Michael will never choose Monica over Jason, and the kids (at their age) won't get why Gramma doesn't like Daddy and cool uncle sonny and will choose them over her. She loses out again (which is why we need secret AJ children...)

That's really awful what they have done to Monica, that every person who hasn't died owes their first loyalty to the mob family rather than to her.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

I'm pretty sure Sean Blackmore's original character on GH was Sam's partner in crime/boyfriend when KMo was brought on the show.

Wasn't he always Shawn? If not, I don't remember his first character, and if that character had been with Sam, it was very short-lived.

9 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Wasn't he always Shawn? If not, I don't remember his first character, and if that character had been with Sam, it was very short-lived.

Chase Wright. He was part of the Dead Man's Hand storyline and Sam's ex-boyfriend.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

Didn't Shawn also hook up with Carly at some point? Or am I misremembering that? I hope so, because <shudder>

Sean Blakemore and Laura Wright had great chemistry, but the show never did anything with it. I don't doubt that the thinking was that they didn't want to put the female lead with a black guy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I wish that were the type of woke story they told, maybe Stella in trouble for a broken tail light.

Exactly. If they had told a Police/Court story with Stella - no criminal past background (that we know of), pillar in the community, beloved auntie (even though she's nosey as heck), and she was getting put through the ringer -that would have been a great story. Why is Stella being persecuted like this. you could have had her sitting with a White Stella (heck LAURA). and we could see how she is treated vs. Laura. (even if we take the mayor part of it). there would be no side-eyeing. (and yah. i want Jason to rot in jail forever)

2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

That's really awful what they have done to Monica, that every person who hasn't died owes their first loyalty to the mob family rather than to her.

And the thing is- even if Emily were alive, she'd be pro mob too. Everyone kisses Michael's ass (and I figure part of it is probably because he deigns to recognize them in his life - let's ignore the fact that he basically still doesn't do anything Q'y at all, other than take their power and recognition to make things happen for the Corinthii family. Like he doesn't even call Monica grandma. It burns my cookies so much. Jason doesn't call her mom.  She has no one "of her own". 

• Love 8
(edited)

I could be wrong but I don’t think anyone Is up in arms about Shawn being out of prison. I’m happy for him. I never needed him to go to jail in the first place. I assume the character went because the actor had other commitments and couldn’t be on GH full-time. 

I’m upset with the retcon of the Hayden shooting story. That’s my issue. I don’t like that they’ve rewritten it so no one knew Nikolas was involved! A whole host of characters knew this. We saw it play out on our screens, but now they don’t know?!? This rewrite is as bad as the Jake one, IMO. If the rewrite is going this far, they may as well rewrite Nick’s involvement and leave him out of it completely. Why absolve everyone else of their knowledge and involvement and keep Nikolas as the villain?! I don’t care for that. 

But Shawn being out of jail doesn’t bother me in the slightest! IMO, he (and Brad) have served more time for their crimes than most of the other criminals on this show! 

Edited by lala2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, lala2 said:

But Shawn being out of jail doesn’t bother me in the slightest! IMO, he (and Brad) have served more time for their crimes than most of the other criminals on this show! 

Speaking of Brad, isn’t he only in prison because he covered for Nelle for some reason that escapes me and her story that she passed out after giving birth and he switched out the babies without her knowledge? While I’m know a crime was still committed there, baby switches are such a common soap staple and I can’t recall anyone getting into legal trouble over it, even when the person did something much worse than Brad. In his case, the birth mother gave him the baby. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Chase Wright. He was part of the Dead Man's Hand storyline and Sam's ex-boyfriend.

Oh, no wonder I don't remember, as that wasn't a time I was a regular viewer.

3 hours ago, ffwbe said:

Speaking of Brad, isn’t he only in prison because he covered for Nelle for some reason that escapes me and her story that she passed out after giving birth and he switched out the babies without her knowledge? While I’m know a crime was still committed there, baby switches are such a common soap staple and I can’t recall anyone getting into legal trouble over it, even when the person did something much worse than Brad. In his case, the birth mother gave him the baby. 

basically Carly wanted him to suffer for hurting Michael. (it feels like)

• Love 7
3 hours ago, ffwbe said:

Mooby threatened Brad and basically told him to confess if he wanted to live.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 7/30/2021 at 4:53 PM, CeChase said:

I read this really interesting thread on twitter, written by a black woman, and her thoughts are that they retconned this because  having a bunch of white people around who knew a black man was in jail for a crime he didn't commit doesn't look good post-BLM.  I mean,  I would argue it didn't look good at the time either.

I think that instead of a rewrite, I would have preferred a storyline that dealt with those white folks coming to terms with their knowledge now that Shawn's out of prison.  Let the characters do some serious self-reflection about their Whiteness and racial bias as they begin to question themselves and the world around them.  And instead of searching for Hayden's shooter, Shawn could spend his time readjusting to life on the outside as a Black man in society, and use his experiences with the justice system as motivation to create change.  Maybe also begin to question his own personal life, like his relationships with all of the white people in Port Charles who knew he was innocent.  Or why he chose to take the fall for a white man and his organization in the first place.  

• Love 6

@ffwbe - I had forgotten, but @GHScorpiosRule is right. Sonny threatened Brad into pleading guilty. As a hardcore Brad fan first and foremost, I don't remember much of this period b/c I wasn't regularly watching. Once they switched the babies and I knew Brad was being tossed under the bus to prop Michael, I tuned out of GH and just watched clips of the ppl I still liked (Friz) on YT. I do recall Sonny threatening Brad though. I didn't fully watch that episode or scene either. I was so upset at the trashing of Brad. 

I know many didn't like him, but he was literally pulled off the backburner to be the villain in Michael's story. He hadn't had any story until that one!! What a joke! We saw nothing of Brucas's married life. We didn't see them decide to adopt. We just got to see Brad get the baby, the baby die, and then get pulled into a played out baby switch! Ugh . . .

• Love 7
10 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

TJ can get involved, it would give him more to do than sing Molly's praises and talk about their domestic partnership, which makes me wanna punch myself in the face every time they open their mouths to say those words.

I’m glad I’m not the only person who wants to punch something every time either of those two say those words. 🤮

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

hose white folks coming to terms with their knowledge now that Shawn's out of prison.  Let the characters do some serious self-reflection about their Whiteness and racial bias as they begin to question themselves and the world around them. 

So, Shawn didn't do it?  They jus thought he did because he was Black?  I thought he was actually guilty?

On 7/6/2021 at 12:24 AM, statsgirl said:

Thanks for the information .

I wasn't watching back at that time. Did Valentin actually try to kill Spencer or was it assumed that he would because he killed Nik?

I do remember Spencer's obsession about his inheritance.  You'd think Spoon Island had been in the family for generations instead of being a fairly recent acquisition. Is he planning to keep his father single forever?

No, Valentin actually tried to kill Spencer. Valentin would've succeeded had Sonny and Drew/Jason not stopped him. It's why Laura decided Spencer would be better off at boarding school because before trying to murder him, Valentin was going around torturing and taunting the kid all the time. Valentin tried to murder Laura too but Kevin stopped him and got shot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

I think that instead of a rewrite, I would have preferred a storyline that dealt with those white folks coming to terms with their knowledge now that Shawn's out of prison.  Let the characters do some serious self-reflection about their Whiteness and racial bias as they begin to question themselves and the world around them.  And instead of searching for Hayden's shooter, Shawn could spend his time readjusting to life on the outside as a Black man in society, and use his experiences with the justice system as motivation to create change.  Maybe also begin to question his own personal life, like his relationships with all of the white people in Port Charles who knew he was innocent.  Or why he chose to take the fall for a white man and his organization in the first place.  

I think it would have been a much better storyline. 

I think that all we have to see is the fight that the people in Jason's entourage put up to prove that he was innocent of Franco's murder vs everyone knowing that Nikolas was behind Hayden's attempted murder and keep their mouths shut about it. I get that Jason and Shawn aren't in the same "category" of characters, but the optics are not super great. That Jason Morgan isn't a sloppy murderer!

Let's face it, the show wouldn't even have done a storyline about some racist judge giving heavier sentences to AAs or POCs if it wasn't for BLM. The writers aren't as interested in getting a storyline like this right as they are interested in ticking their boxes.

• Love 4

@Tenshinhan that would be a better story, but that would mean talking about the mob realistically, which won't ever happen. The Corinthos organization is always portrayed as the 'good' criminals because they don't drug traffic and keep other criminals from taking over the city. 

I was shocked that Leslie was allowed to talk to Jason about how Carly destroyed AJ. 

Willow, who made no contact with Julian a condition of the Wiley adoption is now happy to be a part of Carly's family. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

So, Shawn didn't do it?  They jus thought he did because he was Black?  I thought he was actually guilty?

He didn't shoot Hayden, but he was there to shoot Drew, who at the time was still Jake Doe, on Sonny's orders.  He pled guilty to shooting Hayden because he wouldn't turn on Sonny (I think he was offered a deal?  Don't really remember).  Regardless, hardly an ~innocent man and the show can miss me with the "loyalty" bs that they always try to sell whenever someone won't rat on Sonny.

• Love 9

On 7/28/2021 at 10:04 AM, tvgoddess said:

So when I was away and not watching, I guess I missed the explanation. What does the B in Biz stand for exactly? Best friend? Or was she thinking Liz was going to go into show business? 😂

I am not positive on this, but I seem to remember Terri explaining to someone that Liz was always doing so much, running around always busy, so her friends called her Biz (busy Liz). Again, I don’t have a clear memory, but I know I thought at the time that the explanation was dumb.

On 7/30/2021 at 1:14 PM, dubbel zout said:

Whoever it was who mentioned that Carly and Jason are taking their sweet time getting married wasn't kidding. If it's so important to present a united front to the Novaks, go down to the courthouse and do the deed. Hell, ask a Novak to be a witness to make it legit in their eyes.

If this show follows the usual formula (and when are they not formulaic), I fully expect Sonny to show up at the wedding, probably looking for Nina. But before that happens, Sonny and Nina need to continue their slow burn romance and really fall in love, and there’s also the Lenny story to wrap up, and you know MB is going to milk every second of that, and all that is going to take (way too much) time.

If the intention is to have Jason and Carly develop romantic feelings so that she is truly conflicted when Sonny returns, that may also take time. So I would not be surprised if this engagement goes on.. and on.. and on.

Of course, that would conflict with the whole concept of getting married to show a united front, but maybe being engaged is united enough? 

On 7/30/2021 at 4:26 PM, Daisy said:

(and I have to wonder what they were gonna do if Chase actually could never ever walk again? Just .... never tell him? have a raging affair behind his back like what?)

I guess wait until he’s strong enough to handle the truth? Because learning that your 2-year-old marriage has been a lie since day 1, and the two people you trusted most in the world have been lying to you and sneaking around behind your back all that time, would be far less traumatic. 

At what point does the show decide Millow are no longer noble, and are just selfish and cruel? Because I think that point has passed.

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

If this show follows the usual formula (and when are they not formulaic), I fully expect Sonny to show up at the wedding, probably looking for Nina. But before that happens, Sonny and Nina need to continue their slow burn romance and really fall in love, and there’s also the Lenny story to wrap up, and you know MB is going to milk every second of that, and all that is going to take (way too much) time.

Not to gross everyone out, but I think ~Mike and Nina will have sex before the truth is known, too.  Gotta up the stakes. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Not to gross everyone out, but I think ~Mike and Nina will have sex before the truth is known, too.  Gotta up the stakes. 

guh. now that image is in my head. complete to that yucky idea of Mooby nekkid like he was with Carly in the eye-cam necklace

1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

At what point does the show decide Millow are no longer noble, and are just selfish and cruel? Because I think that point has passed.

It's Michael. He will always be noble. I'm sure when the dumb truth finally comes out he'll pay lip service to being unfair to Chase, but we all know it will be Willow who will fall all over herself to take the blame and absolve Michael. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

It's Michael. He will always be noble. I'm sure when the dumb truth finally comes out he'll pay lip service to being unfair to Chase, but we all know it will be Willow who will fall all over herself to take the blame and absolve Michael. 

And in the end Chase will end up apologizing to Michael.

• Love 7
On 7/31/2021 at 5:07 PM, Melgaypet said:

Sean Blakemore and Laura Wright had great chemistry, but the show never did anything with it. I don't doubt that the thinking was that they didn't want to put the female lead with a black guy.

As a melanin-rich Black man myself, isn't it sad that this is still a thing in 2021? At least we have Molly and TJ's domestic partnership to hold on to.

Also, as another poster pointed out, it's been ages since this show has featured so many African Americans on screen, I think you have to go all the way back to the Ward family when this last happened. I almost cheered out loud when we saw that Curtis had hired a deep, dark Ebony Princess to tend bar. And although I'm mostly indifferent to Shawn, I also enjoyed the very real-feeling interactions between he and Curtis recently. At least some things on this soap are getting better.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Also, as another poster pointed out, it's been ages since this show has featured so many African Americans on screen, I think you have to go all the way back to the Ward family when this last happened.

I remember a few years ago watching a scene where about 5-6 African Americans were present at the same time, and thinking, What show have I wandered into? So, yeah, it’s great that GH finally integrated its cast, and that it has persisted, but I don’t think it counts as real change until some Black characters move front and center with leading storylines of their own, and don’t exist just to support the white characters.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ciarra said:

I'm still puzzled as to why Judge Racist would offer to mentor Molly, after being introduced to her domestic partner.

I saw it as wanting to keep an eye on Molly, because the judge knew Alexis was poking around into her old cases.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Admittedly I wasn’t watching when Shawn pled guilty and went to jail.

So I don’t know if they showed the sentencing hearing and if the judge was the same. Probably not, as this show doesn’t know the name of continuity or canon (as the retcon of Hayden’s shooting proves). 

No one forced his ass to plead guilty. So Show can miss me by now trying to act as if Shawn was a victim or an innocent man who was railroaded/framed for a crime he didn’t commit and was unjustly incarcerated. This is a man who thought being a teacher was too boring and that Mooby’s Mafia was the excitement he needed.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 7

Despite the fact that Shawn was there to kill Drew (and of course he missed), he was accused of shooting Hayden who ended up in a coma. He wasn't being charged for trying to kill Drew but for trying to kill Hayden. At the time, Shawn took the deal because he said the optics didn't look good for him black man shooting a white woman. He thought taking the deal would be less risky than going to trial because the victim was a white woman and he was a black man.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, nilyank said:

At the time, Shawn took the deal because he said the optics didn't look good for him black man shooting a white woman. He thought taking the deal would be less risky than going to trial because the victim was a white woman and he was a black man.

He didn't take a deal--he plead guilty.  Jordan tried to get him to take a deal where he testified against Sonny and he said no.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

So, yeah, it’s great that GH finally integrated its cast, and that it has persisted, but I don’t think it counts as real change until some Black characters move front and center with leading storylines of their own, and don’t exist just to support the white characters.

Agreed. Btw, is your Avatar Dame Helen Mirren? I love her!

6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I don’t think it counts as real change until some Black characters move front and center with leading storylines of their own, and don’t exist just to support the white characters.

I'm not saying I find it compelling, but I think Jordan/Curtis/Portia counts as a leading storyline of their own. Every member of the triangle is black, as are the major supporting talk-to characters (Stella, Trina, lately Shawn). It's not in support of anything involving white characters. And it's been consistently featured with a lot of air days. Without counting episodes, I feel as though it's kept pace with such stories as Ava/Nik and their "stalker," the Anna/Valentin thaw, Brando and Sasha's unexpected pregnancy.   

What's hurting it, at least with me, is Briana Henry, who isn't bad at acting the on-the-job side of Jordan but hasn't exactly been a bundle of charisma and pathos when it comes to romantic story.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

I'm not saying I find it compelling, but I think Jordan/Curtis/Portia counts as a leading storyline of their own.

Fair enough. But that story still places those characters on an island, to a certain extent. I don’t think it achieves real parity until they get a front-burner story that crosses into the larger canvas and where some of the white characters are playing supporting roles.

4 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Agreed. Btw, is your Avatar Dame Helen Mirren? I love her!

Yes, that is indeed Dame Helen, from nearly 50 years ago! The other 29 of us love her, too. 😉

19 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

He didn't take a deal--he plead guilty.  Jordan tried to get him to take a deal where he testified against Sonny and he said no.

So, they didn't offer him a lesser sentence than what he would have gotten had he gone to trial? Why wouldn't you take your chance with the jury if the outcome is going to be exactly the same?  They usually offer you at least a slightly lighter sentence if you plead guilty.

• Useful 1

Why do I feel Carly is more upset at Harmony that she's showing up to claim gramma status than whatever issues Harmony caused with Willow. 

I would have..kinda liked this soapy reunion with Willow and Harmony if everytime Harmony kept talking about Jonah - not Wiley.

Willow freaking out, hopefully means she starts facing her actual loss instead of pushing everything onto Wiley 

Newsflash Carly - it was avoidable. so shut up

Yeah. but what if the family is there, you dumb idiot. you take that risk. Even with Amnesia Sonny is a selfish idiot. Nina who knows the hell you are doing. 

Austin what is your play? (does he know about Michael/Willow?). Why are we being subjected to them kissing all the time blegh. 

Poor Trina.  :( 
also. Shut up Stella. 

Okay.. That is Totally a Friday Cliffhanger on Monday. 

But also ewwww. Millow Sex

• Love 1

For fuck's sake, I am SO TIRED of watching Willow and Michael writhe against each other. Does nobody else on this show have sex?? And to abandon Wiley's birthday party to do it is trash, I'm sorry. Brook Lynn and Valentin shouldn't have to pick up Michael and Willow's parenting slack here.

"What are you doing, Nina?" Good damn question, lady, let me know when you figure it out. Her over-exaggerated look of terror at the mere suggestion of a video call was hilarious. The only way I can tolerate any of the Nixon Falls mess is just to accept it as farcical and stop stressing over how unbearably stupid it all is.

It clearly bothers Carly something fierce that Jason has regrets over hurting Britt, which delights me to no end. May that flicker of independent thought survive as long as it can despite all of Carly's attempts to smother it into the ground.

• Love 11

Also also. I have to say this. 

Willow is clearly struggling. and instead of just sitting down with Willow and having her talk out her feelings and suggest that she should talk with Kevin or something because she's obviously pushed aside grief for Jonah to gloom over Wiley, Michael's best idea is "Hey let me have sex with a married woman, with her husband like a few feeet away?" like- forget the Chase walking bit. Unless they are going to take less than 10 minutes (haha). you got naked and are in the middle of having sex when you had to quickly run and get a present (and maybe take 3 minutes to catch your breath from Harmony showing up. 

Do you not think people would come after you? 

4 minutes ago, Linny said:

For fuck's sake, I am SO TIRED of watching Willow and Michael writhe against each other. Does nobody else on this show have sex?? And to abandon Wiley's birthday party to do it is trash, I'm sorry. Brook Lynn and Valentin shouldn't have to pick up Michael and Willow's parenting slack here.

Amen and amen.  (and Amen). 
But i think actually yah. Sam and Dante aren't there (thank goodness). Jason and Brit broke up, Jason won't sleep with Carly, Finn and Liz aren't there, and Portia and Curtis are taking it slow, and they probably don't wanna have teen sex with Joss + Cam. and I will gorge my eyeballs out with a rusty spoon if they make Mike and Nina have sex

Millow is actually the only couple right now. 

I'm more surprised Nina didn't take the 3 seconds to go to the bathroom, outside, or in her bedroom and lock the door to take that video call from BLQ

• Love 3