Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: What is our goal with this dialogue?

We aim to foster a kinder, more inclusive community. Suggesting extreme actions, even against fictional characters, detracts from this objective. Please focus on constructive and respectful discussions. 

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Maxie has every right to be angry with Anna for lying to her, but there's no way she'd have believed anything Anna had to say against Peter, no matter what she says now. How many times was Maxie warned about him?

I'm getting tired of Maxie's attitude--she is acting as if Anna's known all along that Peter was a bad guy and she encouraged Maxie just for the fun of it and I don't know why Anna's standing there taking the scolding.  Anna was as devastated by the truth as Maxie was and yes she shouldn't have let the wedding happen without warning both Maxie and Finn the truth, but Anna isn't the reason Maxie chose to be with Peter and have his baby--Maxie is.  And I do like seeing Britt and Maxie working together to save the baby from Peter's clutches.

The Anna/Valentin scenes were excellent and I liked Anna's realizing that Peter was watching them like a hawk--not good.

• Love 10

I think Maxie is so angry at Anna because she can not afford to go off on Peter.  Maxie is now aware of how dangerous Peter is and she is terrified for herself and her unborn daughter.  She knows she needs to "play" Peter to keep her and the baby safe.  Maxie is not allowing Peter to see her rage so she is unconsciously taking it out on Anna.  She loves and trusts Anna, who is a safe person to take her anger out on.  Anna seems to understand and has continued to let Maxie know that she will be there to fight Peter if Maxie needs her help.  Once Peter is killed or incarcerated and Maxie's family is safe, she and Anna will be fine.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Lobsel Vith said:

The show has made it clear that Jason is willing to kill innocent people and people who aren't a threat. Jason was assigned with murdering Zander at a time when Zander wasn't even a threat, and Jason only ended up standing down from that due to Elizabeth, not because it was murder. Jason interceded during the MetroCourt hit because Sonny and him had no problem with innocent casualties until he discovered Sonny's sister would be there. Jason made it clear he would kill Diego's mom if she spoke out about seeing him at the MetroCourt during the massacre. Jason wanted to kill Dante personally because Jason is a murderer. Jason is most certainly the kind of person who is willing to kill innocent people. No matter how much his sycophants on the show pretend it doesn't 'touch his soul' or that he has some magical 'code' (that's spoken so ambiguously that it clearly means nothing), he's a murderer.

Jason is not a good guy. He's murdered more people than most serial killers.

I saw someone in another forum say that Jason once was willing to kneecap a woman. When was that?

Edited by gp1999
On 4/6/2021 at 11:31 PM, TVbitch said:

I... I... care about what you think. 

I...  care about what you think, too. 

Jesus God. Make it stop! 

Loving Nik bringing the truth hammer down on Laura! 

Nik is 100% right, and I hate what this story is doing to Laura.  I love Laura.  But she's being sacrificed to the holy trinity.   Carly kidnapped an old lady, period.   Both she and Jason are sociopaths and criminals.   I hope they don't somehow make Nik in the wrong.  It would be great to see some kind of actual moral center on this show but I know where this is headed...

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
(edited)
49 minutes ago, CeChase said:

Nik is 100% right, and I hate what this story is doing to Laura.  I love Laura.  But she's being sacrificed to the holy trinity.   Carly kidnapped an old lady, period.   Both she and Jason are sociopaths and criminals.   I hope they don't somehow make Nik in the wrong.  It would be great to see some kind of actual moral center on this show but I know where this is headed...

Nikolas already threatened Cyrus with finding the mother and maybe keeping her to himself. The exact same thing he berated Laura for helping Jason and Carly get away with.

Edited by sppa125
  • Love 1

I really loved Nikolas' scenes yesterday, but didn't appreciate the retcon of how it was only Alexis who "saved him from the den of vipers" that were the Cassadines when he was growing up. Oh, really? What about STEFAN? Or does he no longer exist? He was the one who loved Nikolas and raised him. Pfft.

I really thought we were done with having Anna as Maxie's punching bag and the tears.

I thought for sure that Britt recognized the sonogram Brookiee showed her as Maxie's based on the look on her face. But then she asked Maxie where her sonogram disappeared to. And then the light bulb went off.

I've never seen anyone so utterly stupid as Brook Lynn. That she actually thinks she's going to pull this off, and no one noticed.

• Love 8
43 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I really loved Nikolas' scenes yesterday, but didn't appreciate the retcon of how it was only Alexis who "saved him from the den of vipers" that were the Cassadines when he was growing up. Oh, really? What about STEFAN? Or does he no longer exist? He was the one who loved Nikolas and raised him. Pfft.

Stefan saved everyone from Helena, even when he went evil. Nikolas was bitching that his evil Uncle wanted he to go through with an arranged marriage for money. After everything was said and done and , it turns out that (I believe) Helena had drained the bank accounts and there was no more fortune We then had some scenes of Nikolas whining because he would need to sell off assets (like his horses), because he was marrying Emily. Yeah dumbass, believe it or not, things cost money. Why do you think it is so important for people (or even any family) to groom the next generation - so their fortunes are blown. Show in my head, that is why Michael lost the company, because his family refused for him to even interact with Edward, but so Michael never learned anything.  Instincts only takes you so far. 

Luke was somehow exonerated because Stefan wanted to commit to suicide or frame Luke, even though even assisted suicide is a crime in many states

It is pretty clear that the show never does it research with these things and even if they did, they don't understand nuance. 

• Love 4

I enjoyed that, while she couldn't quite put her finger on what was going on, Britt could smell eau de scheming brunette all over Brook Lynn, as it's a scent she's quite familiar with.  I selfishly don't hate that this storyline is putting Kelly Thiebaud and Amanda Setton in each others' orbits.

• LOL 3
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Why do you think it is so important for people (or even any family) to groom the next generation - so their fortunes are blown. Show in my head, that is why Michael lost the company, because his family refused for him to even interact with Edward, but so Michael never learned anything.  Instincts only takes you so far. 

Please. That SLS had no instincts, business or otherwise, whatsoever. He doesn't even use his own family's name.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Please. That SLS had no instincts, business or otherwise, whatsoever. He doesn't even use his own family's name.

He had good instincts that one time. Edward wanted to crown him king of the world because of it. 

• LOL 1

I caught up and I saw the scream. I honestly think GF was startled naturally, but hey didn't want to re-do it. (because I don't see Laura screaming like that, especially when Cyrus didn't do anything)

I have to believe Maxie is taking out her anger at Peter on Anna because she can't do it to Peter and Anna kinda sees that because honestly, the fact that no one has yet went "Maxie we ALL told you," is kind of driving me nuts. Maxie is acting like no one told her anything and SURPRISE, PETER IS EVIL. 

I have this feeling that BL just woke up one day and went "lemme fake this." because  man is she flying by the seat of her pants. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Today at the hospital he said she's in her third trimester.

I think they're fast-tracking BL's pregnancy somewhat so it can merge with Maxie's. It never bothers me unless the woman gives birth like two months after the sex, heh. I don't need to see the entire nine months go by on the show.

15 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Also, the baby photo/sonogram she handed him clearly had the bottom with the patient/mother's name torn off

This cracked me up. Britt saw it and it didn't occur to her something might not be on the up and up? She had to hear that Maxie's photos were missing? LOL.

12 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

I think Maxie is so angry at Anna because she can not afford to go off on Peter.

I agree this is part of it, but Maxie is responsible for her choices. I don't need to see her put on the hair shirt, but I'd like to see her acknowledge that she glommed onto Peter because of her grief over Nathan. And Maxie does like being contrary for the sake of being contrary. This time it really came back to bite her.

1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

I enjoyed that, while she couldn't quite put her finger on what was going on, Britt could smell eau de scheming brunette all over Brook Lynn, as it's a scent she's quite familiar with.  I selfishly don't hate that this storyline is putting Kelly Thiebaud and Amanda Setton in each others' orbits.

I hope they have Britt quickly figure out what's going on with BL and they team up with Maxie to bring down Peter once and for all. And then they all go for a GNO and have a roaring good time. Britt and BL could be great friends.

• Love 9

I get that BL’s fake pregnancy is probably just a plot point for Maxie’s baby but they still should have put more thought into what BL’s original plan was. If she was planning to use it to get ELQ back, shouldn’t she have been more proactive? She looks like she’s about to deliver soon and is doing nothing except vaguely avoiding Valentin. Or I guess she really is that dumb and has no clear plan which makes me sad for her. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, gp1999 said:

I saw someone in another forum say that Jason once was willing to kneecap a woman. When was that?

The only one that comes to mind is Faith.  But he was going to kill her.

Screenshot_2021-04-08 Faith Rosco (Cynthia Preston).png

I've been meaning to comment that I like how they've tweaked Britt's character a bit. She's still something of a gray hat, but she acknowledges her past and accepts that not everyone likes her, and she's trying to do better. She's not above a scheme, though, so her essence is intact. For me it's a believable evolution, and it didn't take that much work on the writers' part.

• Love 16
19 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I've been meaning to comment that I like how they've tweaked Britt's character a bit. She's still something of a gray hat, but she acknowledges her past and accepts that not everyone likes her, and she's trying to do better. She's not above a scheme, though, so her essence is intact. For me it's a believable evolution, and it didn't take that much work on the writers' part.

that's how i love my grey characters. 

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I never had any use for the character, but this go-round I'm really liking her.  The tweaks work.

• Love 11
(edited)

BRAVO, NLG. The back-and-forth between Alexis and Kevin was excellent. I liked the scene of Alexis mentioning photos of Stefan when she handed Nikolas the photo album. Alexis comforting/reassuring her inner child, little Natasha, really made me cry and that is rare when I watch TV.  I was crying as Molly came down the stairs in her cap and gown, and Alexis saw her and cried with pride and embraced her three daughters. I love that Ned recorded/photographed it. I loved that the Show shockingly did the right thing and had IR/Jax with Ned, Valentin, and Finn for her last meal with her friends at Kelly's and then at the farewell gathering at her home. (Although, when she said "my friends" to Kevin, I thought well where was Diane?! Why wasn't she included in the party or in the clips of Alexis Davis memories?)  It's so strange that we got a scene of Olivia telling Alexis she misses the Alexis she used to know who defended her for breastfeeding Leo ... but no scene of best friend Diane telling Alexis she will miss her and will do her best to get Alexis released from Pentonville as quickly as humanly possible.

Well done, GH. I genuinely enjoyed this Alexis-centric episode. I don't care if people roll their eyes, I love that Alexis finds her purpose on her first day in prison!

Btw, the actress playing her mother in the flashbacks looks familiar. Did she once have a part on GH, or in primetime TV? I assume Mikkos was played by a re-cast....

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 17
(edited)

IA. This episode was very well done and I enjoyed it immensely instead of checking my phone repeatedly. It shows how the writers can bring the goods when they want to. Kudos to the actors as well but especially NLG. 

Edited by PatsyandEddie
  • Love 12
(edited)

Nice to get an Alexis episode for a change. It also hit all the emotional notes that have been missing on this show. This is what I want, not all that mob threats and shootout.

Finally Alexis goes to get therapy, which is what she should have done when Neil died. I also liked the symbolism of the watch not working until she finds herself, and the little Alexis huddled in the corner during the session.

They made it all okay in the end  so it doesn't bother me so much but Alexis was right that Kevin's therapy wasn't working. She went to him to ease her anxiety and he chose to open up her biggest sealed tomb. Of course, it turns out all right in the end because fiction.

Good casting on the bartender, he really looks like Julian.

What I didn't like was Kevin saying that Alexis has three daughters, the fighter, the idealist and the advocate.

Sam, rolling your eyes at the idea of opera, especially when it's your grandmother singing, just shows how classless you are.

Therapy nitpicks: "I just need to be accountable for all people for all things ... I just need to hold everything together for everyone."  At that point, Kevin should have asked "what is the time you couldn't hold things together for someone?" Also when she said "At some point for some reason I decided that I wasn't supposed to be happy" instead of saying "And what's wrong with happiness?", he should have asked why she thought she didn't deserve it.

19 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Btw, the actress playing her mother in the flashbacks looks familiar. Did she once have a part on GH, or in primetime TV? I assume Mikkos was played by a re-cast....

I thought she looked familiar too.

Although, when she said "my friends" to Kevin, I thought well where was Diane?! Why wasn't she included in the party or in the clips of Alexis Davis memories?

She's busy getting Jason out of jail. (And not in the clips for budgetary reasons.)

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

Well, damn. Alexis finally got her due today and it was one of the best special episodes of GH in recent memory. Years after that watch resurfaced we finally got to see the full context surrounding it, and it was devastating. I've long said that someone just needs to give Alexis a hug and that moment she consoled her younger self was very well done. She's accepting all the hurt she's endured by knowing she has the tools to cope with it openly and honestly. By reflecting on the legacy of her character she's passed on to her girls and the mark she's made on the world through her work, she gets to define who she is. And Alexis Davis is flawed, but not broken; there's beauty in the resiliency born of heartbreak, and she'll find her way forward.

• Love 20
(edited)

I thought the episode was well done. I thought Alexis with her male friends, was also a nice touch. I like those relationships and I like that everyone decided to put their animosity against Valentin aside for Alexis. 

And I thought that it's such a shame that the show doesn't really do stuff like this with their characters, where friends just get together like this for coffee and just. Everything is always so dire and so bleak and dark that the friendships gets lost in the shuffle. And it always feels like the only friendship that matters is the one between Carly and Jason, but even then, Jason is mostly annoyed with Carly.

I liked the scenes with the Davis girls. And I liked the casting for Natasha. And of course, Mikkos was always a prick. There has been a wave of femicides where I live, one woman has been killed by her partner almost every week since 2021 started, so the violence Mikkos wrought on Alexis's mother made me feel really ill. Did we know this about him before? We knew he was controlling, but I don't remember him being a wife beater.

While I know that this wasn't NLG's last episode on GH, it still sort of felt final to me. Like if this was her last episode ever on the show, we know she'll be fine because she seems to have beat her demons and is finally moving on from her drinking, her traumas, Julian, Neil and all the stuff that sent her spiraling down the last 5 to 10 years. It feels like that arc in her story has been put to rest. Alexis has finally found herself again. And that's a really good thing. She's going to emerge better and stronger from her experiences.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 15

The way they're dealing with the flashbacks is hilarious. That dopey swooping camera was so unnecessary.

I like that Alexis went to see Kevin. Those were very good scenes. Has Kevin been to prison, or just Ryan?

Hate to break it to you, Liv, but you might not get the Alexis you want back. She might be different. Can you accept her anyway? I'm not sure how much grace Olivia is showing Alexis, TBH. Okay, she doesn't spit on her when she sees her, but she seems unwilling to acknowledge how being an alcoholic has affected Alexis.

4 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Sam, rolling your eyes at the idea of opera, especially when it's your grandmother singing, just shows how classless you are.

What was the point of that? She couldn't just say Kristina had a gorgeous voice and leave it at that? Sam's comment about not liking opera was so out of left field. (Not that I'm surprised she doesn't like opera, but why mention it when you're listening to your grandmother?)

I teared up when Molly came down the stairs in her cap and gown. That was a really nice thing to show.

Oof, we got a brief Dodson flashback. I didn't need that.

2 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

And I thought that it's such a shame that the show doesn't really do stuff like this with their characters, where friends just get together like this for coffee and just. Everything is always so dire and so bleak and dark that the friendships gets lost in the shuffle. And it always feels like the only friendship that matters is the one between Carly and Jason, but even then, Jason is mostly annoyed with Carly.

I know. That's why the Nurses Ball used to be fun to watch, because nearly all of the cast was in one place and having a good time (more or less). Too many characters are in a bubble with one or two others, and it gets so boring. Plus, yes, all the doom and gloom. There's nothing wrong with some intentional humor and lightness.

When was the last time an episode was devoted to a woman who isn't Carly?

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Yeah, as I mentioned previously, I think they've calibrated her bitchy, snarky side and her Kimberly Andrews-esque loyalty to a chosen few (Brad, now Maxie) nicely this time around.

Speaking of Kimberly Andrews, yes, Kimmie ran a much better baby-related con than Brook has been.  For example, she got some "lonely soul in medical records" to supply her with an ultrasound picture that Stacy could pass off to Rex, and made sure there was no due date or that you could tell the baby's sex.

Edited by TeeVee329
6 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

She was a huge part of the episode.

Oh not the mom, lil' sis.

17 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I wish Alexis had added "slap the shit out of Carly" to her pre-prison checklist.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I'm honestly worried we're going to pay for another woman being the center of attention and have like a full week of "Carly, Large and In Charge" episodes.

• LOL 4
41 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

You know we're going to pay for this, right? Carly will come out swinging and we will have to watch her negotiate with the Five Families and be a totally confident badass and then she'll go toe to toe with Cyrus and also her chicken-legged boyfriend, and then we will see her go up against women she hates (so all of them), but especially Gladys, while she orders Valentin around and snarks at Ava.

• Love 5

That was kind of good.  I wish I could have been Alexis sitting at that table with all those good looking men, if only they could have squeezed in Robert Scorpio some how.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
27 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

And make another baby. 🙄

I hate that the possibility of a Quartermaine baby was squashed with Brook Lynn's fake belly while the Corinthos babies seem endless. (Michael doesn't count as a Quartermaine, he's pure Corinthos.)

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I hate that the possibility of a Quartermaine baby was squashed with Brook Lynn's fake belly while the Corinthos babies seem endless.

I don't. Another baby isn't needed, no matter who the parents are. It's bad enough we have to have a Peter spawn, not to mention the still endless mentions of the baby that needs to die, Wiley. 

The writers fall back on pregnancy/baby stories way, way too often. It's so lazy and unimaginative.

• Love 5

we really need a Quartermaine teenager to fill out the teens now that Dev is dead.  I would lean toward Lila Rae, but that leaves things unbalanced.  I would really and truly love to see a teen son of AJ, which would probably mess with Michael's head.

• Love 7
On 4/5/2021 at 11:34 PM, ciarra said:

It's also a dirty trick on Valentine personally, when his "trick" was a business maneuver. 

I think what’s she’s doing to him is awful. I hate this story line. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Not reading comments yet because, well, frankly, I expect negativity and I want to get my positivity out first. I thought this was a beautiful, brilliant episode. It literally made me cry. I absolutely adored it.

And, yay, more Elizabeth/Finn tomorrow! WOOHOO!

ETA: Yay, I was wrong. Seems like everyone else who has posted thus far loved it too!

Edited by driver18
  • Love 5
24 minutes ago, ouinason said:

we really need a Quartermaine teenager to fill out the teens now that Dev is dead.  I would lean toward Lila Rae, but that leaves things unbalanced.  I would really and truly love to see a teen son of AJ, which would probably mess with Michael's head.

i posted this a while ago - in my head cannon AJ has a sister (Joss's age) and a brother (about a few years younger than him - basically "eight"  - since Micheal was eight when he was kidnapped by AJ and then presumed dead. eight? ten?). to basically be all YOU ARE NO WORTHY to Micheal lol

We need more legitimate Q's on the screen imo. 

6 minutes ago, driver18 said:

Not reading comments yet because, well, frankly, I expect negativity and I want to get my positivity out first. I thought this was a beautiful, brilliant episode. It literally made me cry. I absolutely adore it.

there was no negativity 🙂

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Daisy said:

there was no negativity 🙂

I KNOW! I was so happy reading the comments and seeing that.

Also, the last three episodes devoted to "one" person were Carly, BUT that was really Carly *and* Nelle, Finn and Ava. So, yeah, Nelle and Ava, now Alexis. As much as I loathe the Carly preference, in this case, she doesn't really get it.

3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Has Kevin been to prison, or just Ryan?

Kevin's never had a prison sentence that I recall, but he was held in prison to await trial after his breakdown back in, um, 95 or 96. (I'm bad with dates, sorry.) I believe he was beaten there and went into a sort-of faked catatonic state that had him sent back to the hospital. Then Felicia talked to him while he was there and agreed to drop charges and a plea bargain was worked out, so he didn't have to go back.

That is how you deepen our understanding for a character through a focused episode while still incorporating others in meaningful ways and having a few moments of levity. I swear Alexis, Ned and Kevin all look better NOW! 

Okay, now to be bitchy... when Alexis said, as she has many times before, that she is the one who always has to hold everything together, I kept thinking, girl, you have never really held things together all that well, if we look at the evidence. 

Is NLG going on a long break? They usually only flashback for big occasions like that. I also thought is was incorrigible to leave out Diane. And the only time Julian appeared was when Alexis ran over him! Poor WdV! 

Was I the only one who thought Mikkos looked like Anthony Scaramucci?! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Okay, now to be bitchy... when Alexis said, as she has many times before, that she is the one who always has to hold everything together, I kept thinking, girl, you have never really held things together all that well, if we look at the evidence. 

Is NLG going on a long break? They usually only flashback for big occasions like that. I

I totally loved this episode but I thought the same thing...even though she was a brilliant lawyer Alexis has always been written as a bit neurotic and messy in her personal life.

And I had the same question?  Is Nancy leaving the show for a while?  It seemed very final. Probably just because this isn’t usually done. I would actually welcome more of these episodes focusing on a single character, it was really well done. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, rur said:

This was publicized as a very special episode in recognition of her 25 years on the show. 

I wish it had been a bit more upbeat, but it was a great gesture. I'm impressed they did this.

• Love 3

On a shallow note, the flashbacks really highlighted how well NLG has aged.  Her hairstyle changed a bit here and there but her face is pretty much the same.  (If she did have any work done, it was very good work 😉)

• Love 9