Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

Steve had the opportunity to play a more interesting character and either the show gave up on it or he fought against it.

As someone who loved Jason Morgan in the very early days, it's so obvious SBu just doesn't care anymore and is just going thru the motions for the paycheck. 

• Love 13
Just now, Cheyanne11 said:

As someone who loved Jason Morgan in the very early days, it's so obvious SBu just doesn't care anymore and is just going thru the motions for the paycheck. 

Oh that I’ll agree with. He’s even mentioned interviews before how he loves scenes where he’s just standing there with few if any lines. He’s a lazy actor whose just there for the paycheck now. I doubt he cares much about getting SLs or interesting stuff to play like some of his costars. 

• Love 13
(edited)

So, I'm guessing Nina will blame Carly for losing access to Wiley, and that's when she'll go and mess with amnesiac 'Mike's' head.

There would be a kind of poetic justice in that, given Sonny used an amnesiac Jason's anger to recruit him into the mob. 

Edited by sacrebleu
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, sacrebleu said:

So, I'm guessing Nina will blame Carly for losing access to Wiley, and that's when she'll go and mess with amnesiac 'Mike's' head.

There would be a kind of poetic justice in that, given Sonny used an amnesiac Jason's anger to recruit him into the mob. 

They’d be a fool not to go that route when Carly and Nina look so similar. 

• Love 5
On 1/29/2021 at 7:53 PM, TVbitch said:

One last tidbit from Mo's memoir: Sonny is Greek/Cuban, hence Corinthos. But at some point Mo just took it upon himself to play him as an Italian. And, I guess because he's God's gift to acting and all, the directors were just like, whatever.  

That's actually come up years prior to the memoir, except what I read was that Labine shut down MB from playing Sonny as Italian every time he kept doing it, rather than MB's apparent version of everyone falling over themselves to accommodate him like he was the Second Coming of Jaysus. I wonder how much other moments of 'artistic license' are interwoven in there.

I'm surprised at the other comment I read from you that he acknowledges being a jerk at times (even if it was in the sense of being the greatest mentor to ever mentor). Out of curiosity, is the infamous jacket issue (from when TK was playing Lorenzo Alcazar and wore one, and therefore Sonny had to have one, too) brought up in the memoir?

It looks like Sonny, Jason, and Carly are still dominant on the show and everyone has to cater to them, one way or another, although to my surprise there does seem to be a bit more diversity than there used to be a few years ago (although the LGBT characters unfortunately still seem to be in the proverbial closet), and another (seemingly boring) custody battle involving Michael (after the dud with Sabrina's baby and the temporary time Michael had a backbone with little AJ).

2 hours ago, driver18 said:

And then now when Maxie was still choosing to stand by him it wouldn't be 'Oh, she's so stupid!' it would be 'YES! Despite it all! She still loves him! That is the power of true love!!' And when Franco hit Peter, potentially killing him, viewers would have been devastated because they wanted Peter there with Maxie at the hospital, they wanted him to know that despite everything, Maxie still loved him, damnit!

It's not often that I root for Franco, but I was completely on board with what he did, especially after that flashback of Drew's memory that he had with Peter standing over him. I'm looking forward to a reenactment of that. Because Drew was actually a decent guy while Peter is a total an entitled sociopath.

1 hour ago, sacrebleu said:

That's pretty much what I'm waiting for out of this storyline. For Nina to find Sonny at Phyllis's and just fuck up Carly by using him against her.

• Love 5
(edited)
16 hours ago, statsgirl said:

ignoring his brother and making his father feel guilty by telling him that it's his fault because he remarried too soon after Finn's mother's death.

Jackie looks even worse, making it appear that she really wanted Finn, slept with him then waited for him before the wedding refusing to talk to her fiance, and only married Gregory when Finn didn't call her back. Then she realized that she was pregnant and avoided getting a paternity test to find out who the father is.

Actually Gregory said Jackie told him it was her/their fault that Finn didn't come to the wedding and stayed absent from their lives, because he was hurt and angry that the marriage was too soon after Finn's mother died. 

Yes, that is true about Jackie. She flat-out told Finn she married Gregory because Finn didn't declare his love/ask her to be with him and not marry his father. 

9 hours ago, ByaNose said:

She’s involved in everyone’s storyline, tells it like it is & people most of the people of PC don’t seem to mind her. 

This time, Britt isn't stealing an embryo and trying to hold onto a guy, being catty/demeaning to a romantic rival, encouraging/praising a spoiled and entitled brat on-screen, etc. She is genuinely concerned for Maxie and Maxie's children, is not praising Jason or Sonny as good guys, stands up to Peter, does not cower when her mother speaks to her, and generally shows she has layers to who she is. 

5 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Carly hasn't suggested a DNA test since she clearly resents having to share Wylie with another grandmother. 

Fixed it for you!!! 😉

4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Michael wants Willow and this is how to keep her close. He has to always coordinate with her so they're always talking, she's always at the Quartermains and now she's even living in the gatehouse.

Michael is not self-aware so he will probably continue to hold Willow close even if it would be better for her to distance herself and deal with the death of her son separate from Wylie.

As for why Nelle is being erased, that's what Carly and Sonny do, erase the inconvenient biological parent. They did their best to erase AJ from Michael's life and Ava from Avery's. Sonny even tried to kill Jax when there was a custody issue with Joss. They're toxic people who shouldn't be allowed to parent without supervision.

Yup. Also, I think he genuinely wants the kid to have a legal mother.  He has zero interest in Willow's mourning process.  His response was, I understand because I thought my son was dead.  For you, it's like you lost two kids.  He went from that to "I think Willow and Wylie need each other" and asked Willow to have a permanent place in the kid's life.  Michael is entirely focused on what he thinks he and Wylie want or need.  So his reaction to Willow still having feelings for Chase, and those feelings complicating his perfect "Michael + Willow + Wylie" family (that he didn't work for/earn) is to be an ass to Chase as well as throw a lot of money into renovations of the Gatehouse and hire a "wine tutor" to impress her because he knew that having a "wine guy" was Willow and Chase's thing. 

2 hours ago, Daisy said:

And really the only reason I feel Monica hasn't is because she has no one else.
Dawn is dead, AJ is dead, Emily is dead, Allan is dead. and Jason died when his head hit that rock. 

She probably doesn't want to cut out Jason now because she'd have no one. 

Yup.  Sometimes I think she still seems him as her golden boy. One of the consistent problems with the Jason character since he started working for Sonny is that the Q Family (except for Tracy) have always given him a pass on his behavior and attitudes because "he's still a Quartermaine."  Other people cut him slack too, because they either have known him since he was a child/knew of him because he's the son of two GH doctors, his employer/partner and "Stone Cold" personality makes him intimidating to some, and because he was so important to Robin Scorpio when she young and figuring out how to move forward in life as an HIV+ woman. 

Monica's family with Alan now consists of her grandson Michael and his son, Jason when he gives her scraps of his attention, Jason's sons and Drew's daughter.  But does Jake even ever see the Qs? Neither Sam nor Elizabeth ever mention Jake and Danny spending time together as brothers, or Jake wanting to visit his brother Danny and cousin Scout.  Jake's older brother Cam was the last kid to spend time with Danny. I didn't realize he knew his brother's brother!

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, Lobsel Vith said:

Out of curiosity, is the infamous jacket issue (from when TK was playing Lorenzo Alcazar and wore one, and therefore Sonny had to have one, too) brought up in the memoir?

I skimmed a lot of it, but I did not see that anecdote. Clearly though, Mo had a LOT of say in how things go.

35 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

That's pretty much what I'm waiting for out of this storyline. For Nina to find Sonny at Phyllis's and just fuck up Carly by using him against her.

Yes, but then it will POOR CARLY and POOR SONNY... but, but, but, their amazing love will ultimately win over evil Nina's machinations and in the end they will become even more powerful and golden than they were before!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Bringonthedrama said:

This time, Britt isn't stealing an embryo and trying to hold onto a guy, being catty/demeaning to a romantic rival, encouraging/praising a spoiled and entitled brat on-screen, etc. She is genuinely concerned for Maxie and Maxie's children, is not praising Jason or Sonny as good guys, stands up to Peter, does not cower when her mother speaks to her, and generally shows she has layers to who she is.

And, unlike Carly for example, people are allowed to reference that she's done bad things.  While Monica apparently has to bite her tongue every time Carly sashays into her house, Dante's allowed to reference Britt's shenanigans with Ben/Rocco, for instance.

I am really liking this run for my girl, I feel like the calibration between her snarky B side and her Kimberly Andrews-esque loyalty to her chosen few has been good.  I'm worried it will curdle if she does get involved with Jason, but I guess we'll see.

In other news, LWB was terrible on Friday.  In that one long shot where he's posing with the gun, he was surely supposed to seem threatening, but he looked like such a dingus.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • LOL 4
  • Love 12

I’m really tired of Carly whining and crying over Sonny’s death all day every day. Oh, wait. Has she even mentioned him or Donna recently? I didn’t think so.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
On 3/4/2021 at 1:33 PM, perkie1968 said:

I don't know why it bothers me so much but I get so annoyed when someone uses a characters' last name when everyone there knows who they're talking about.

Me too. I also have always found it weird that so many soap characters are known only by their last name. Finn, Jax, Spinelli, etc. etc. In all my life, I have never known one person who is called by their last name.

• Love 3

My shower thought of the day - are we about to have a gestational diabetes storyline with Maxie? They showed the orange glucose thing you drink for the test, talked about having to wait for an hour after she drank it for the test, and Britt mentioned it being one of the things we were testing for several times.

(Also, isn't testing for it a standard part of pre-natal care? It is in Canada. But Maxie was talking about it as though the drink thing was all new to her.)

It just seemed like a lot of mentions for something that would end up being nothing.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Pingaponga said:

My shower thought of the day - are we about to have a gestational diabetes storyline with Maxie? They showed the orange glucose thing you drink for the test, talked about having to wait for an hour after she drank it for the test, and Britt mentioned it being one of the things we were testing for several times.

(Also, isn't testing for it a standard part of pre-natal care? It is in Canada. But Maxie was talking about it as though the drink thing was all new to her.)

It just seemed like a lot of mentions for something that would end up being nothing.

I had that test as part of an annual checkup with my doctor when I was about 60 years old. I went to the same lab I always went to for blood tests. There was a new tech there that day who gave me a huge orange drink that sent my blood sugar results through the moon. My doctor called me to tell me that I needed to go to the local hospital immediately. I told the ER doc what I’d been given to drink, how sick it made me and what a horrible headache it gave me. The stupid tech had given me TWICE the amount indicated for my weight. She got fired. Do not trust any tests!

4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Wait, Maxie is pregnant AGAIN?! )Haven't watched in forever.) She already has two kids she ignores. Why the hell does she need a third?!

Because there's an unwritten rule somewhere that at least one woman should be pregnant every year. The value of the women on the show is limited to two things, be apologists for the men they are with and vapid apologists for them and make babies.

Not for nothing, but we've also had two off screen pregnancies with Kim who had her baby and BL who will be coming back with Valentin's baby. So those are two more attached to the canvas.

When Maxie pops, we should start a bingo card with the names of the women on the show and choose who will be pregnant next. Since age and menopause don't matter, then they're all fair game.

• Love 5

Hee, let's have Anna pregnant with Finn's baby. He's angry at her right now and she's over 50 but there will be the pull of actually seeing a child of his born and taking care of his baby.

Or Olivia could have Ned's baby. She's at odds with Ned, already running a nursery and the child could grow up with Brook Lynn's.

What should NOT happen is Willow pregnant with Michael's baby after their painting room* one night sex. Rhere is no story benefit and another Corinthos child would be an abomination.

* Michael repainted the nursey with sky and stars when Wiley said that he wants to be an astronaut. But now he wants to build things; is Michael going to repaint ever time his 2 year old learns a new word?

• LOL 6

I honestly don't have a problem with women being pregnant on the show. but to me it's always the same story. it's never the sweet, romantic, let's bond over things. it's always just "We're gonna do a baby switch. AND GO". if they did actual storylines with said babies outside of baby switches it would be great

but they don't so it is not. 

• Love 6

There was no baby switch with Donna; instead we got that stupid bina spifida story that went nowhere. Not that I'm not grateful, but what was even the point? Sonny could barely care, and Carly didn't even have to stay in the hospital overnight once.

Just stop with the babies. There's no reason we need one every year.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, ouinason said:

I just want one child to exist on this show that has no WTD story, no switch, no custody fight, raised in a functional family home, and no OMG fake health scare.

Emma seems to be the last baby that falls into this category.

• Love 4
Just now, GHScorpiosRule said:

Emma seems to be the last baby that falls into this category.

Didn't Patrick sue for visitation of Robin's womb while she was pregnant? Or something silly like that.

If not then yes Emma. If not, it would be Noah offscreen.

Nope, Emma was the subject of custody issues IN UNTERO and had the whole drama of Robin being dead and then seemingly running out on her.  That's not stable.  Baby Noah seems to have that though.

3 minutes ago, ouinason said:

Nope, Emma was the subject of custody issues IN UNTERO and had the whole drama of Robin being dead and then seemingly running out on her.  That's not stable.  Baby Noah seems to have that though.

Oh right. Forgot about that bit of stupidity.

Holy Hell, then it had to be Maxie’s birth!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh right. Forgot about that bit of stupidity.

Holy Hell, then it had to be Maxie’s birth!

Like someone said, Baby Noah [Robin and Patrick's second kid, born off screen] would also apply. Thus proving staying away from Port Charles is a wise decision!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

After, Friday’s show I will say I agree with Tristin Rogers about Wes Ramsey. He probably shouldn’t have said it out loud but I agree with him. Wes was sort of painful to watch during the climax of the long drawn out storyline. As every actor came up to bat and to read Peter the riot act his face got more and more strange looking, I think he was trying to show anguish but it looked more like constipation. I’m still not even sure if FV would get rid of him now and would more likely show Tristin the door. I wonder where FH falls on this. Is she Team Tristin or Team Wes? She might agree with Tristin but is friends with Laura Wright thus probably always kept her opinions to herself. While Finola got to work a lot she also had to see Anna get dumber and dumber as the storyline went on. 

• Love 10
8 hours ago, ByaNose said:

After, Friday’s show I will say I agree with Tristin Rogers about Wes Ramsey. He probably shouldn’t have said it out loud but I agree with him. Wes was sort of painful to watch during the climax of the long drawn out storyline. As every actor came up to bat and to read Peter the riot act his face got more and more strange looking, I think he was trying to show anguish but it looked more like constipation. I’m still not even sure if FV would get rid of him now and would more likely show Tristin the door. I wonder where FH falls on this. Is she Team Tristin or Team Wes? She might agree with Tristin but is friends with Laura Wright thus probably always kept her opinions to herself. While Finola got to work a lot she also had to see Anna get dumber and dumber as the storyline went on. 

TR brought up the "bargain basement criminals" 🤠 dominating the show a couple of years back so he seems the type to speak his mind, regardless of the potential ramifications with TPTB or fans. And the criticism against LWB seems to be pretty widespread given the reactions to some of the articles covering what TR said about Peter (or the responses to the recent episodes themselves), so most fans seem to be pretty much onboard with what he's saying.

Considering other plots that dangled even when fans weren't in tune with the decisions (something that past regimes have done, especially Guza), I could see TPTB keeping with it unless it becomes bad enough that the network intervenes.

• Love 2
On 3/6/2021 at 2:35 AM, bannana said:

Yes, I don't know the law regarding this in the U.S., but surely Nina has a right to visitation with her grandchild. Michael was being kind of an asshole saying that would have to wait now. At this point, Nina needs to get a lawyer,

The law favors the parents; if the parents don't want it, there is a heavy presumption against it.  Then again, the judge will lecture the parents, saying that it is not a good thing to keep the children away from the grandparents.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

There was no baby switch with Donna; instead we got that stupid bina spifida story that went nowhere. Not that I'm not grateful, but what was even the point?

So MB could make his speech about why he was naming her Donna because it tied to that long-time makeup artist on the show who died.  Literally, that's the only reason this child exists.  While a nice gesture to acknowledge someone whose passed, the show has done less for actors who spent decades on the show.  

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

So MB could make his speech about why he was naming her Donna because it tied to that long-time makeup artist on the show who died.  Literally, that's the only reason this child exists.  While a nice gesture to acknowledge someone whose passed, the show has done less for actors who spent decades on the show.  

I seem to recall when RC dumped a lot of GH's crew and low key ran out the prior writing staff in favor of his own people.

17 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I think MB might have asked for it or something to acknowledge her. Apparently they were really close. I haven’t read his autobiography but I saw someone else post a summary of it when it first came out and they said the GH section of the book was more about conversations with Donna than any of the actors he worked with. 

32 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Donna didn't need spina bifida for Sonny to go on about her namesake.

True, my broader point was Donna didn't/doesn't need to exist at all just because MB wanted to honor a co-worker who passed away.  They could've done that without giving him another kid.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

True, my broader point was Donna didn't/doesn't need to exist at all just because MB wanted to honor a co-worker who passed away.  They could've done that without giving him another kid.

I think the Spina Bifida part of the story was supposed to be bigger but I’d still argue that it wasn’t necessary. SA was big into social/medical issue type stories and that fit into it. The optics of that pregnancy were bad enough without adding in a disability. Not only was it pointless, Sonny could barely be bothered to be around so we saw Carly confiding in Jason most of the time. Now the child is ignored and Carly has spent more time worrying about keeping Avery and now being territorial about Wiley than her young child. 

• Love 5

Holy shit! I can't decide if the reveal that Finn and Jackie slept together and that Chase might be Finn's was anti-climactic or if I just got used to watching Sonny fling barware and scream whore, that I was expecting something similar from Gregory.  

I hate it when people monologue about their plans to give the other guy the chance to get the jump on them. Franco could've just left with his recording, went to the cops. But nope. I recorded you, and now I'm going to call the cops while you free yourself from the zip ties that I clearly didn't tighten enough so that you can escape!

Peter is also a coward and less than a man and a total loser. Big guy when he's holding the cards, doesn't amount to much when he's tied to a chair, though. 

Always nice to see people lining up to beg Jason not to kill someone. Seriously, can the show stop pretending that Jason is anything other than a murderer.

I liked Chase and Willow. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 10

Color me legit surprised that Finn told Gregory the truth about sleeping with Jackie the night before their wedding. I also really liked the penny dropping with Gregory that Chase might not be his. That was done really well.

LOL at Franco fake-smoking an X-Acto knife. I also liked Franco playing the SERIAL KILLER with LWB/FS. Serves that idiot write for publishing his medical records. Sucks to be hoisted by your own petard, doesn't it, Peter? I loved all of his growling. It was so OTT in a good way, for a change.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Donna didn't need spina bifida for Sonny to go on about her namesake.

Speaking of unnecessary medical issues, how's Alexis' osteoporosis ? 😄

And unnecessary babies, why did they tell us about Kim's baby with Julian, just to kill him off shortly after ? 

• Love 6
(edited)

While I still believe that Roger should be playing anybody but Franco, episodes like today are proof that they should have kept him as a villain/more gray than this soccer dad, Friz family patriarch. I was more engaged with his scenes today than I have been in years. He does menacing well.

Edited by ffwbe
  • Love 11

Peter is PC's new top damsel-in-distress. Who gets kidnapped twice in one day by two different people?!?! Yeesh. It's a pity it had to come from Franco but I'm glad someone finally told Peter to stop self-victimizing. Sorry Heinrich. Only Maxie the moron still feels sorry for you.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Oh, I'm with you that Donna is galactically useless.

Donna has got to be the most pointless baby ever conceived on a soap opera. She is so useless. Donna should not exist. Maxie doesn't need a Peter baby, but even that baby may have more of a purpose than Donna. 

-------------------------------- 

I always love Franco, but I esp loved him today (until the soap stupidity/plot convenience struck)! He was menacing and dark in a good, interesting way. Why he told Peter all his plans is beyond me?!?! That was just lame. I hope Peter doesn't shoot/kill him.

I am happy Gregory knows the truth, and we weren't tricked into thinking it would be a false reveal. That was nice. Gregory has a right to be upset, but it does seem like Finn was really talking up Jackie before he introduced her to his dad. I don't know. You would think Gregory would have wondered if his son was interested in this woman. It seems Finn felt blindsided by his dad asking out Jackie and then marrying her! And I still say Jackie is a mess b/c she was attracted to the son but then turned around and married the dad. LOL! What a mess! I really want to see the DNA results. 

I cannot stand Maxie. She has no right to be angry with Anna. Maxie shut down ANYONE who spoke against Peter. Who was going to be able to tell her the truth w/o her putting her fingers in her ears and singing, "La, la, la. I can't hear you." She's an idiot, and I'm sick of everyone worrying about her. If she wants to marry Peter, let her! 

And Peter . . . . he is beyond annoying. I'm just so sick of him and his claims to want to be better for Maxie. Maybe he'd go over better as a character if he just owned his actions. "I need to be a good man for Maxie, so I have to kill you." What kind of sense does that make?!?!?! If this character does not get off my screen . . . . . . Sadly, I feel he's going nowhere, but I'd love to be wrong about that! 

Edited by lala2
  • Love 3

I wonder why they just didn't have Roger Howarth play Peter?
Or the guy who played Todd 2.0. 

Also. I loved how the reveal went down. very well done. 

also Shut up Jason. 

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, ffwbe said:

While I still believe that Roger should be playing anybody but Franco, episodes like today are proof that they should have kept him as a villain/more gray than this soccer dad, Friz family patriarch. I was more engaged with his scenes today than I have been in years. He does menacing well.

RH really was suitably menacing in his scenes and the guy playing Peter was embarrassingly bad.  I do wonder why Maxie is acting all indignant with Britt and Anna, simultaneously demanding to know what they knew and when they knew it and why they didn’t tell her and then turning around and acting stunned that they think he’s a bad guy.

I do like that as angry as Mac was at Anna he knows she loves Maxie and I loved his thanking Britt on Friday’s show, “On behalf of the Scorpio-Jones-Devane family...”

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

[LWB/FS] is also a coward and less than a man and a total loser. Big guy when he's holding the cards, doesn't amount to much when he's tied to a chair, though. 

I haven't watched today yet, but I kinda hate that he's already been assaulted, tied up, whatever by Franco, because it seems to be setting up a pass for him, that this will be his comeuppance and that's it.  It's like when it first came out about him being FS and he immediately got captured by Dr. O and tortured in the woods for weeks.

• Love 1