Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

but it's Jason going to blow up a warehouse that is moving Cyrus' stuff. Way to calm down the mob war there, guy. 

It wasn't Cyrus moving stuff it was the Novaks, one of the Five Families

33 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

It wasn't Cyrus moving stuff it was the Novaks, one of the Five Families

My eyes glaze over with the Port Charles mob talk because there is never any solid storytelling about the Five Families.  I thought that the Novaks were moving Cyrus' drugs but instead they're doing it on their own? And a mysterious fourth party killed them ... maybe it was Carly taking charge of Sonny's mob again. (LOL that the big attack was just Jason and Brick.) I guess I'm supposed to feel worried now that Sonny is gone but it's just a big mess.

It's especially stupid today when the biggest mob trial ever is starting on as 320 members of the 'Ndrangheta mob go on trial. Now that's an absolutely terrifying group.

15 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

OMG. NO ONE CARES.

I certainly don't. And ICE and the FBI have better things to do than to go after 16 year old Joss for a cousin her stepfather brought to live with them.

Are we supposed to think that this is the equivalent Al Capone's taxes and there is some minion desperately trying to nail Good Mobster Sonny?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Same here. I don't know if it's the lack of acting ability or that she's Carly Jr. most of the time. Trying to make her the star of the teen set when both the actors who play Cameron and Trina are so much better just makes it worse.

Thanks for the re-cap. 🙂

And yeah. like she's not bad.but she's not compelling. I just feel that she got hired because she does look like a kid that Laura Wright/Inigo R. could have made (and her hair is gorgeous) over being a great actress and we side-eye the talent. 

It's not helping as you say- she's really morphing into Carly Jr (which wouldn't even be "bad" (next generation hate levels) but there is really no one for her to play off it.  Are they going to make Cam her AJ?  Trina her Robin?

As i've said before - the show gave her a Robin-esque storyline (and a BJ-Maxie storyline) and they've just gone over like lead balloons. I just feel that her only job is affirm that Carly is a good mother or something. It's kinda funny. the actress who played Nelle - I could have seen her totally being Joss.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

It wasn't horrible. My favourite part was Olivia going to bat for Alexis with Sam, and the pictures in Julian's photo album that Ava dropped off with his stuff. Olivia seems to be a better detective than Sam is.

That's because Olivia is listening to what Alexis is saying, while Sam won't because she thinks Alexis is a liar.

Now that Sonny is at the hospital and still unable to say who he is, isn't the first thing they should be doing is looking into a national database in case someone has reported this amnesiac guy missing?  Sonny knows that some people put wine in Bolognese sauce; his nurse says "maybe you're a five star chef". Seriously? And then she tells him that he has a killer smile. It's not only the people in Port Charles who are praising Sonny, it's the new people wherever he is too.  Just end it now.

As annoying as this was, I like the actress. I find her very effortless in her acting. And if I'm being perfectly honest, I thought that she and Mo had nice chemistry between them.

The show wasn't bad today. It was a lot more bearable than yesterday's pity party shit show with perfect snowflakes Carly and Sonny. 

I don't know why the show is hanging on so tightly to Sasha. 

Alexis's scenes were good. 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, statsgirl said:
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

OMG. NO ONE CARES.

I certainly don't. And ICE and the FBI have better things to do than to go after 16 year old Joss for a cousin her stepfather brought to live with them.

A cousin WHO IS DEAD.  What are they going to do, deport the body?

26 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Are they going to make Cam her AJ?  Trina her Robin?

To what end? Carly's hatred for AJ and Robin had very specific origins that don't exist for Joss in any way. Joss is already part of Port Charles—she's no outsider the way Carly was in her early years. Joss as Carly Jr. is a creative wasteland, IMO. She really should be the bane of Carly's existence, snapping that Sonny isn't her father and isn't the boss of her, etc. It's ridiculous the show has completely bypassed that. Joss should be furious she's always under guard. Instead she sees it as Sonny's love. Talk about an emotionally abusive relationship. I'd love it if Trina clued her in to that, but Trina has her own problems.

22 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I don't know why the show is hanging on so tightly to Sasha. 

So Michael can have another girlfriend bite the dust, and that will persuade Willow she needs to stay with that uncooked skinless chicken breast. The way Sasha seems to be pushing Cyrus doesn't bode well for her continued breathing. (From what I can tell from the recaps here.)

• Love 3

I don't know, I think Sasha being around is more about FV wanting butterface Brando to work.

The show has a lot of soapy set up

Chase's paternity

Nina/Nelle

Peter's machinations

but aren't pulling the trigger on them. Come ooooooon, what are they waiting for?

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

A cousin WHO IS DEAD.  What are they going to do, deport the body?

To what end? Carly's hatred for AJ and Robin had very specific origins that don't exist for Joss in any way. Joss is already part of Port Charles—she's no outsider the way Carly was in her early years. Joss as Carly Jr. is a creative wasteland, IMO. She really should be the bane of Carly's existence, snapping that Sonny isn't her father and isn't the boss of her, etc. It's ridiculous the show has completely bypassed that. Joss should be furious she's always under guard. Instead she sees it as Sonny's love. Talk about an emotionally abusive relationship. I'd love it if Trina clued her in to that, but Trina has her own problems.

snort... deport the Body..

well that's what I mean  (sorry if i didn't articulate it that way). but i mean i mean AJ/Robin and Carly were always at each other (for reasons). But Joss doesn't have anyone she hates (nor anyone who hates her). She doesn't have a sibling close to her age so we don't get the Jason/AJ golden child/disappointment child angle to work off, and she doesn't even have frenimes (forget an enemy). 

Like the last "teenage to adult gang was Krissy, Micheal etc etc which was boring because they were all related.  But Micheal and Krissy butted heads sometimes (I think? i dunno I am old woman brain) but i swear they fought over how Sonny loves Micheal (hah) more than her, and that was around the time Keifer was smacking Krissy around. 

(there was Lulu/Georgie/Dillon etc etc) which was really good at some points (until you know. they made Diego psycho for some everyone always has to lose to Sonny, Sonny always has to win reason, and Georgie had to die for some Guza's etc's mission to exterminate basically everyone good and kind from the show because God Forbid Georgie just go away to college.... reason). 

Then there was Lucky/Liz/Nik/Emily (Zander etc etc) which was so dynamic and fun because you had Lucky/Nik with the spencer/cassadine dynamic then Liz's bad girl (then rape) Emily's drug habit  etc. Even when (boring) Natalia came and reprised Emily's role. they had the friendship/drama etc like they weren't always kumbayah friendship. 

And really this is where I feel GH's chickens are really coming home to roost and not in a good way.  They've killed off so many people (who could have had a kid around the time Joss was born - who isn't related to Carly) thus resulting in the fact that Joss is literally related to everyone but Cam. So unless they introduce another boy for her - theoretically whatever triangle that happens between Trina/Cam/Joss - is automatically going to end up being Joss winning because everyone (naturally on the show) is A: too young or B: blood related.  Like you mentioned there is no drama at all. Lulu hated Luke for being all absent (even though a huge part of her still loved her dad and there was that push-pull for years with that relationship). Lucky + Luke had to really rebuild their relationship after the rape.  

Just naturally Joss should have all these issues like you said

Sonny isn't her father. She has to live on a compound. She has to have guards. She can't have a normal life. Have her find out that Sonny nearly killed her father and ruined his life with having him high on drugs (BECAUSE OF HER MOTHER). Have her hate and loathe this life that Carly decided that Joss should be a part of. Especially because kid #1 (Micheal) and kid #2 (Morgan though i could be wrong i missed most of his SORAS'ed life), are/were all "hey everything is fine!" while the world burns around them.  It never will because CarSon always has to win. And even if Joss has this epiphany and hates Carly it will be until November/February and then Joss will forgive her. 

So boring. 

(not to say I think the Joss actress could play it off. but at least it wouldn't be so.... milquetoast). 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ciarra said:

You didn't enjoy Sonny rocking the bandana look?  He looked like he was going to the Woodstock 50 year anniversary, being old enough to have  gone to the original Woodstock.

When MB leaned his head back against the seat (the bandana didn't help), especially with the way the scene was lit, I thought he looked exhausted, old, gaunt.  As a stranger witnessing his life, with the way Sonny looks, speaks, and moves, I would assume he is Avery and Donna's grandfather.  

How old is Sonny's grandson/Dante's son Rocco, btw? I think he may actually be older than Avery? 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bringonthedrama said:

When MB leaned his head back against the seat (the bandana didn't help), especially with the way the scene was lit, I thought he looked exhausted, old, gaunt.  As a stranger witnessing his life, with the way Sonny looks, speaks, and moves, I would assume he is Avery and Donna's grandfather.  

How old is Sonny's grandson/Dante's son Rocco, btw? I think he may actually be older than Avery? 

He's older than both Avery and his uncle Leo. And Wiley is older than Donna.

4 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Sonny's in a hospital waiting for test results.  They never said which hospital or where but his nurse is none other than Phyllis Caulfied, Nina's former coma nurse.  Sonny doesn't remember anything.  it will eventually come back to you.  She points out the watch on his arm.  He reads the incription on the back; '"Mike, not enough time. Love A"  She assumes his name is Mike.  

Well his name is Michael.

So. Nina's nurse. What if she lied to Nina and knew exactly where her daughter went and Nelle called her up when she "died" on the other side of Pennsylvania to help fake her death. Imagine if Nelle finds an amnesiac Sonny.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, nilyank said:

So. Nina's nurse.

I completely missed that. Kudos.

4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Carly's hatred for AJ and Robin had very specific origins that don't exist for Joss in any way

As did Jason's relationship with Carly. But it occurred to me today that he still treats Carly the same way now that he did then -- as someone who is not strong enough to stand on her own feet and make her own decisions, someone who needs to be protected and who can't be held responsible for her actions.

They will probably in rocking chairs on the porch of the old folks home and he still won't trust her to be able to make her own decisions.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3

I completely missed that. Kudos.

As did Jason's relationship with Carly. But it occurred to me today that he still treats Carly the same way now that he did then -- as someone who is not strong enough to stand on her own feet and make her own decisions, someone who needs to be protected and who can't be held responsible for her actions.

They will probably in rocking chairs on the porch of the old folks home and he still won't trust her to be able to make her own decisions.

and helping her count to ten. 

• LOL 1
On 1/12/2021 at 2:54 PM, lala2 said:

GO NIKOLAS!!!! I loved everything Nikolas said to Carly. He really put her in her place! She has a lot of nerve!! I love that he stood up for Ava and their relationship

Carly was totally trying the "splitting" tactic, too, getting Nikolas by himself and saying she was shocked he was going along with this. I was surprised Carly was made to look so bad in those scenes. I mean...I always think she looks bad, but this was more overt than it usually is, and everything she said was easily shut down. Someone would really have to be the biggest Carly stan around to think she had a leg to stand on.  

On 1/12/2021 at 3:04 PM, dubbel zout said:

That punch was completely uncalled for. I don't care who your girlfriend slept with, TJ. Don't be an asshole. Use your words.

Also, I call bullshit on "TJ's never been violent!" There was a whole story with him attacking Rafe (back when Rafe as a sympathetic character was still happening), and Molly getting spooked by it because of her sister's experience with Kiefer. True, people on soaps are always slugging or slapping their rivals and it's usually treated fairly lightly, but Molly made it sound as if this were shocking from TJ in particular, and it wasn't.   

On 1/12/2021 at 5:24 PM, Daisy said:

To be fair - how would Ava (or anyone) know that? Mike wouldn't intentionally want to hurt Avery but if he had an episode....  I wouldn't risk it

Yeah. Sonny and Carly can say as many times as they want that Mike never would have hurt Avery, but then, how many times did they ever let him babysit Avery? Or, would they have left Bifida in his care even if they were going to be back in a half hour? All right then.   

On 1/12/2021 at 5:50 PM, statsgirl said:

I'm trying to remember back to the days when I thought that Jax was a dashing hero. But with Nina and even more with Carly, he's just a guy who is there to prop the bad decisions of his women.

I don't root for Jax to leave, but he adds nothing anymore. He seems more watered down every time IR returns after a period away. What a fall for that character. They could replace him with a neutered tomcat that just comes into the occasional scene and winds around the legs of Nina or Carly, and the cat would have as much effect on the stories.

Edited by Asp Burger
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, statsgirl said:

But it occurred to me today that [Jason] still treats Carly the same way now that he did then -- as someone who is not strong enough to stand on her own feet and make her own decisions, someone who needs to be protected and who can't be held responsible for her actions.

He treats everyone that way, and especially the women in his life. It's gross.

• Love 5

Amy, you're a medical professional (supposedly™ Silas Clay forever), so don't ogle the patients. GROSS.

LOL that we see Ava's note and listen to Alexis read all 14 words. I'd never understand it otherwise.

"You have a mother?" Oh, Sam, way to cut Cyrus to the quick with your putdowns! FFS.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I'm not a mafioso, but if I found a warehouse with dead henchmen inside, I wouldn't think someone was trying to do my organization a favor, I'd think there were at least two other organizations that wanted to get into my territory and both were more than willing to so whatever was necessary to be the ultimate victor. 

But then, that might lead to an interesting plot.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Sonny with amnesia is UCG, what with his puzzled face when the nurse mentions something that should be familiar to him.

Just now, ulkis said:

The nurse telling Sonny he kept himself in good shape gave me flashbacks to "30 pounds of sheer muscle on Claudia". 

LOL. SJB always looked like she could more than hold her own against anyone.

At least when the nurse mentioned Sonny's killer smile we didn't have to hear about those irresistible dimples. I'm having enough trouble keeping my eyes in the front of my head.

• Love 6

This whole amnesia thing is kind of stupid. Nina's nurse mentioned having Sonny's vitals-- (but not his medical history) but I'm sure an exam would show he's been shot, multiple times.  (I know nothing about law, missing persons) But why wouldn't the cop who brought him to the hospital take his prints and run them. And how can Sonny be the most powerful (alleged) mobster on the eastern seaboard and not even the cop recognizes him?

I did like the 'twist" that Nina's nurse is now Sonny's nurse-- but I recoiled in horror that he pronounced it "bologneeese" and not "bolognays" I'm surprised Olivia didn't feel a disturbance in the force when that happened. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

I don't like Sonny at all but if they are going to make a storyline about him getting amnesia and make it the focal story for the foreseeable future, make it make sense! He fell from a bridge at considerable height and was unconscious in the elements for over a week with no coat but ended up with no broken bones, no hypothermia, and is somehow alive. He is declared dead from Jason via a pendant and now that he has been found by multiple people including a cop no one thinks to run fingerprints or anything to identify him. If Sonny Corinthos is supposed to be the greatest mob boss on the Eastern Seaboard why has no one recognized him? With the amount of times he and Jason have committed crimes and been arrested surely someone would know who he was. He is also bipolar and won't have his meds so is he going to get into a manic phase or a depressed phase sometime soon?

Edit: Or....exactly what @sacrebleu said while I was typing this!

Edited by LexieLily
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, sacrebleu said:

But why wouldn't the cop who brought him to the hospital take his prints and run them. And how can Sonny be the most powerful (alleged) mobster on the eastern seaboard and not even the cop recognizes him?

Running Sonny's fingerprints would end the story way too soon, of course. As would him being instantly recognized. It's completely stupid and blatant plot-point writing.

• Love 9
34 minutes ago, sacrebleu said:

I recoiled in horror that he pronounced it "bologneeese" and not "bolognays" I'm surprised Olivia didn't feel a disturbance in the force when that happened. 

She probably did--are we sure she's not in the kitchen right now making and freezing a few more pans of manicotti?

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Running Sonny's fingerprints would end the story way too soon, of course. As would him being instantly recognized. It's completely stupid and blatant plot-point writing.

lol. i mean i can handwave the being insta-recognizable. but I mean hello. if it wasn't Law and Order it was CSI - we all know that a missing/amnesiac person would have prints taken, show. 

but at least he isn't kidnapped by a woman who lost her husband that would have looked JUST like Sonny (aka Mary/Nikolas)

• Love 2

He may not be as bad as Spinelli (because who is?), but Brick is his own brand of annoying.  As if a tech guy carries a gun and is ready to go to war at a moment's notice.  All because Stephen A. Smith is a Sonny fan and must be accomodated/rewarded with a role because of that.

Phyllis might not have commented on Sonny's dimple, but she blew smoke up his ass a number of times: great smile, good taste in clothes, knows about cuisine ("maybe you're a five star chef"), kept himself in a good shape.  Jesus, show, we get it: Sonny is a fine specimen of man!

And LMAO that the big threat Cyrus has on the Corinthii is they helped a teenager stay in the country illegally.  The only thing funnier than him thinking this is leverage is Jason/Carly/Brando actually BELIEVING it's leverage. 

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • Love 12

Did Sonny survive the bridge collapse then walk 100 miles before passing out in the snow. Cuz if not, what. the. fuck. Assuming they went to the hospital closest to the bridge, where a massive search for a missing mob boss who is believed injured just took place, would not anyone clue up when an unidentified man found near the bridge is brought in? Are Carly and Jason not keeping tabs on nearby hospitals, just in case? Were local police not advised of and partook in the search? 

Having said that, the most ridiculous thing today was a nurse bringing a patient a home-made dinner and some street clothes to change into, then sitting there and chatting with him for an hour. I hope you brought enough for all your patients, girl. 

Edited by TVbitch
  • LOL 3
  • Love 10

I can't decide what would have been better. Sonny found by Morgan and Morgan not telling him who he is or Sonny found by another guy who can't remember his name that survived a car bombing. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2

This entire story line with Sonny is so insulting and mind numbing that we should all boycott GH. I agree with all of the folks up line who have brought up so many good questions and observations. Could the writing on this show and the others possibly get any worse??!!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, xfuse said:

I can't decide what would have been better. Sonny found by Morgan and Morgan not telling him who he is or Sonny found by another guy who can't remember his name that survived a car bombing. 

Sonny being found by Johnny would be the best, imo

I honestly don't even remember where Johnny is supposed to be, jail or on the run, but I don't care. 

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, Gigi43 said:

I honestly don't even remember where Johnny is supposed to be, jail or on the run, but I don't care. 

Who’s Johnny?

7 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

Who’s Johnny?

Johnny Zacchara. He was a member of a rival mob family for a while. And the bane of Sonny's existence (Jason never hated him as much.) For a while he did awful things like point out Sonny's terrible treatment of women (name his sister-later found out mother-) and called him a hypocrite when Sonny would judge him for selling drugs, since Sonny obviously did in his time. So his character had to be ruined by increasingly shitty acts and his own hypocrisy.

I would settle for Alcazar or AJ. Any guy who had to be destroyed for the great crime of Not Being Sonny, would do. But I love the actor the most.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, rur said:

I'm not a mafioso, but if I found a warehouse with dead henchmen inside, I wouldn't think someone was trying to do my organization a favor, I'd think there were at least two other organizations that wanted to get into my territory and both were more than willing to so whatever was necessary to be the ultimate victor.

The narcissism of CarSaSon knows no limits, encouraged by the writing on the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

The narcissism of CarSaSon knows no limits, encouraged by the writing on the show.

Well, at least the show is consistent with its pathological need to canonize the Mafioso Cerberus that is Sonny, Carly, and Jason. Same song, different verse for a good 20 years. That's DEDICATION, baby!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Gigi43 said:

AJ, sonny being found by AJ would have been the best.

• Love 5

Yeah, when Julian is dying he gets tormented by Connie and Duke who urge him to go on and die already! When Sonny is dying he gets Angel Mike who hugs and encourages him. I guess God wuvs Sonny, but Julian is going to hell. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
36 minutes ago, lorj said:

What nurse makes dinner for a hospital patient? A patient gets hospital food. 

That was my reaction when the cover off the plate and Sonny went all "giddy" about how good the food looked. I thought he was being sarcastic because hospital food is you know, hospital food. But nope, Nurse Awesome cooks for the patients apparently. That was such nonsense. I think it was just so that we hear Sonny say Bolognese. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, bybrandy said:

AJ, sonny being found by AJ would have been the best.

AJ making old/aging jokes about Sonny in revenge for all the 'AJ's fat' BS even if that was from Tracey too would be great.

• Love 7

I still think the Sonny presumed dead amnesia story is to facilitate Jason having to marry Carly so he won't have to testify against her for the Nelle fall, in which Carly didn't do anything wrong but lied about it.

• Useful 3
12 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Jason having to marry Carly so he won't have to testify against her for the Nelle fall,

Bonus points if Carly gets busted for bigamy.

Edited by dubbel zout
reflecting actual facts
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, ciarra said:

I still think the Sonny presumed dead amnesia story is to facilitate Jason having to marry Carly so he won't have to testify against her for the Nelle fall, in which Carly didn't do anything wrong but lied about it.

Will she also have to marry Jax? Because he was there.

14 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Bonus points if Carly gets busted for bigamy.

Or Polygamy!

• LOL 6

Am I supposed to believe that Alexis now cares about home security?  Port Charles residents don't even lock their doors.  I think people have strolled into unlocked hotel rooms as well.  PlotContrivance!  All they need is ADT to sponsor it.

• LOL 6