Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: What is our goal with this dialogue?

We aim to foster a kinder, more inclusive community. Suggesting extreme actions, even against fictional characters, detracts from this objective. Please focus on constructive and respectful discussions. 

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

And doesn't she have another son a

Last week, Olivia to Ned:  I am going to see Dante.  I will not abandon my son.  Family is everything

This week, Olivia to Robert:  I'm totally going with you to Monte Carlo to look for Holly.  Leo who?  

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

This week, Olivia to Robert:  I'm totally going with you to Monte Carlo to look for Holly.  Leo who?  

Me: Who is Leo?

I forgot that we have another useless child who should never have been on canvas. 

• Love 1

Am I the only one screaming at the tv for someone to give Mike some ice chips or a wet cloth for his dry mouth? 

It bothers me so much that at this point I wouldn't even care if it was Sonny who gave him something to wet his mouth but Felix, aren't you some kind of nurse or something?

TFGH!!!!!🙅

• Love 3

So Brooke never had a great relationship with Olivia, but the woman did go after her and offer her a free place to stay after Ned threw her out.  Nice of Brooke to stab Olivia in the back by deleting that voicemail. 

That's some long flight from Australia that Lois is on, rushing to be at Brooke's side.  Not that I could stand that character, ever. 

Just now, ciarra said:

Nice of Brooke to stab Olivia in the back by deleting that voicemail. 

I think BL has some legitimate gripes with both Ned and Olivia, but it's really disappointing that they're writing her as a teenager instead of an adult. She's close to 30, FFS. This fakakta show.

• Love 7
Just now, ciarra said:

So Brooke never had a great relationship with Olivia, but the woman did go after her and offer her a free place to stay after Ned threw her out.

Not true. They had a close relationship back when she was growing up in Brooklyn. When she returned last time and agreed (upon payment, I guess?) to break Dante and Lulu up, Brookie and Olivia carried on conversation about the "old neighborhood" clearly to make Lulu feel like an outsider in Lulu and Dante's own apartment! While these two Bensonhurstites, cooked and talked in the exaaaaagerated Brooklynese, about making Dante's favorite whatever. Calling the refrigeratator "icebox" as if it was the 1920s. I remember going off on a tear when those episodes aired over on TWoP. 

So it's a double TWATmove, her doing this to not only get back at Ned, but also Olivia.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I think BL has some legitimate gripes with both Ned and Olivia, but it's really disappointing that they're writing her as a teenager instead of an adult. She's close to 30, FFS. This fakakta show.

The show is trying to make her Tracy 2.0, but the show lacks the writing talent and won't invest the time in developing BL's character, and while both of the actress are okay, they lack JE's presence.  They just have BL stirring shit. Occasionally, they have her dream of winning awards and being nice to Mike. JE's Tracy might have been obnoxious, but she was an adult. Yes occasionally she did childish things, but I believe it was in service to major plans she had in her head. BL is being bratty and somewhat aimless. This is UO, but I wish they would have written in the pandemic. The virus not only had a physical effect, but an economic one. Someone like BL, who is focused on entertainment, would be one of the first services people looking to cut back would cut. 

Willow's dress was really cute.

Yes, it's so shocking and terrible that Michael wants Mike's death watch to be over. That's what Willow had to kiss his ass about? UGH.

If Mike's doctor is so good, why is Stella the one telling Sonny all the benefits of morphine? Also, Stella, Sonny has told Mike more than once that it's okay to die.

The coddling of the Corinthos men is ridiculous. 

I did like Stella talking about Mike straddling two worlds. That was good writing without being overtly religious.

• Love 6

Sonny says he forgave Mike for his gambling addiction a long time ago. Really? I'd find this story much more affecting if we'd actually seen Sonny forgive Mike and not continue to treat him like trash.

Now that Mike as a punching bag is gone, I bet Sonny will double down on Ava.

Has anyone even told Kristina her grandfather is dying? Poor girlchild. I can't even hand wave it that Alexis has told her.

Willow: "I know my dad's in a better place, watching over me."
Joss: "How can you be sure?"
Me: "Oscar's forgotten all about you, Joss! Suck it!"

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

An hour of self indulgent Corinthi sadness and Mike still isn't dead.....GUH

With Brando showing up it just makes Kristina's absence even more glaring.  Show could have said something like, she's trying to get back from whereever, like they did with Lois (who never did show up for BL)  So there was at least an acknowledgment.  Same for Spencer.  

• Love 8
29 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Good news, everyone! Mike is still alive. Rejoice and throw confetti in the air. 

Fuck me.

Oh Christ, they're gonna drag this out until Friday aren't they... with a final tearful mumbling, whispery speech by Sonny. And next week will be the week long funeral/memorial service-- where everyone tells Sonny what a good man/son he is, and how strong he's being.

...You mean to tell me that after all that, Mike still ain't dead yet? I mean no disrespect to the character, and certainly not to the actor, but man oh man I've had my fill of the Corinthos gang sniffling and mourning and closing ranks to support one another. A whole episode devoted to them with no other stories to balance things out was way, way too much for me. Plus, today's episode was heavily focused on the afterlife and the certainty of "a better place," and that kind of sudden spirituality feels forced coming from characters who have shown us time and again they're devout to Sonny Corinthos and their own self-interests over anything else. 

I guess the show does get credit for portraying the excruciating timewarp that occurs when you know the end is inevitable and you can't do anything but wait for it to come. But we've now heard from all the pivotal characters and the longer this drags on, the more it feels like grandstanding. 

• Love 11

I know Carly meant it genuinely, but I had to chuckle when she thanked the priest for coming on such short notice. That's part of the job.

Had Mike died today, an entire episode devoted to it would be a bit much, but understandable. And it would draw a line under this story. But dragging it out longer? Stop the madness!

Eesh, and tomorrow it looks like Mike is the one with the fantasies/hallucinations/visions.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

How are these fakakta writers so obtuse that they think the viewers honestly want an entire episode devoted to Mike's death?

You'd be surprised.  Facebook GH pages are all "boo hoo hoo, it's so sad and so beautiful".  Meh.  

20 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Eesh, and tomorrow it looks like Mike is the one with the fantasies/hallucinations/visions.

I thought of that the minute Stella told Sonny that it was a side effect of the anti anxiety drug.  

33 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Man, are they sending Mike to Lily with babies in the sky?

I'm betting Courtney will be leading him up the stairs, the same way they had Edward and Lila guide Oscar up.  Morgan would be there as well, but with all the talk of Brian wanting to come back and the possibility that Morgan might return, they won't have him beside Courtney.  

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

I'm betting Courtney will be leading him up the stairs, the same way they had Edward and Lila guide Oscar up.  Morgan would be there as well, but with all the talk of Brian wanting to come back and the possibility that Morgan might return, they won't have him beside Courtney.  

There doesn't seem to be a lot of things that send people to hell on this show, but I am hoping her part in killing Officer Brian (for Jason, of course) and framing Zander (Cameron's bio dad), which lead to Zander burning down the Port Charles Hotel aka the Metro Court, killing a few people and then being shot and killed himself, would send her to hell. 

• Love 3
On 9/9/2020 at 2:40 PM, YaddaYadda said:

So I went looking at what Neil's daughter died from in the wiki. So while they only say that she died, the cult she was in was about drugs. So his death might end up being tied to hers. And her death might end up being tied to Cyrus.

Which would be funny because on Buffy the Vampire Slayer Jeff Kober played a character named Rack. Rack was an evil warlock who supplied a pure, yet addictive kind of magic....it was like a drug! He was the "drug dealer" who had a cult of magic junkies.

Edited by Sheggy50G
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

Me: Who is Leo?

I forgot that we have another useless child who should never have been on canvas. 

Leo’s tied with Donna for the most pointless kid for me. LLC was basically a day player at that time so there was no need to write in her pregnancy. There was no real story even involved unless you count the ripoff of Kristina’s paternity lie with Julian playing the Sonny role, which was even worse the second time around considering they had Olivia fake the kid’s death and then there was no fallout when everything came out. At least we hardly see or hear about the kid. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I know Carly meant it genuinely, but I had to chuckle when she thanked the priest for coming on such short notice. That's part of the job.

Especially at a place like Turn The Damn Page and Die Already.  They've no doubt got a chaplain on call at all times to give last rites.

And I don't know about Mike, but I'VE lost the will to live after watching this endless storyline. 

Seeing Michael and Joss "he's not your grandpa no matter how many times you've said it in the last week" lynn, really emphasizes the total ignoring of Kristina's absence.  Hell, they could've had a simple throwaway line about her being away on a retreat or something and they couldn't get in touch with her, but no--let's pretend she doesn't exist.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
31 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Hell, they could've had a simple throwaway line about her being away on a retreat or something and they couldn't get in touch with her, but no--let's pretend she doesn't exist.

Or they could say she visited offscreen because seeing everyone else upset would upset her even more. Michael is the logical person to relay this information, but he's too busy needing Willow stroke his ego and tell him what a good person he is. Gah.

• Love 2

OMG they actually administered last rites? And the close up of the Bible? Oy vey. And why are they all talking about end of life IN THE ROOM? The man isn’t dead yet (more’s the pity).  Maybe take it outside?

And from the looks of the preview, he still isn’t dead tomorrow either...

• Love 1
5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Sonny says he forgave Mike for his gambling addiction a long time ago. Really? I'd find this story much more affecting if we'd actually seen Sonny forgive Mike and not continue to treat him like trash.

By the time that Ron Hale retired acting and left the show as Mike, it did seem like things had gotten better between and Sonny had forgiven him.

Mike, step into the light. I am begging.

So not much social distancing with all the hugging going on as everyone waits around for Mike to die.

40 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Leo is necessary so that in 10 years, he and James can compete for Donna. I was going to add that Wylie will win and then I remembered that she is his aunt.

I bet they’ll leave Danny the same age long enough for Donna to catch up so they can do a Danny/Donna/Leo triangle with Leo as the loser because he’s Julian’s raised Quartermaine spawn.

6 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Seeing Michael and Joss "he's not your grandpa no matter how many times you've said it in the last week" lynn, really emphasizes the total ignoring of Kristina's absence.  Hell, they could've had a simple throwaway line about her being away on a retreat or something and they couldn't get in touch with her, but no--let's pretend she doesn't exist.

Right?!?! They couldn't even do that! 

I don't care if Lexi was filming a movie elsewhere and was unavailable. They should have gotten a recast for these scenes. There is really no excuse the character of Kristina is not in these scenes. Her entire family is there and paying their respects to Mike. She should be there as well. Those Josslyn scenes should have been Kristina's! They can't even write in a throw away line re: her absence like "Kristina is in the cafeteria" or "Josslyn, Kristina is in there w/Mike. Give her a minute" and then cut to Josslyn and her retconned relationship w/Mike! I honestly wonder if she will be at the funeral. At this point, I will not be surprised if she isn't there! 

Edited by lala2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

My GH got interrupted by the Governor's news conference. Which was actually okay with me.

So Mike is still not dead???????

When they had the conversation about the morphine, I really hoped that this endless annoying story was really going to go somewhere interesting and controversial.

Like the real world. 

I can say that none of us had endless conversations over her bed when my mom was suffering and dying. I am so glad Stella wasn't there. I might have punched her.

We also didn't imagine weird shit that could have happened if my mom lived to be decades older and without alzheimers.

I realize this is just emmy bait for idiot MB, but it has been ridiculous.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, sas616 said:

I won't be surprised if by Friday, Dante shows up at Mike's bedside for his Emmy reel.

I wouldn't be surprised either if that were the case. But hey, that means that Mike has been holding on to life by that stupid thick ass thread because of Dante, not Sonny. I'd have my fill of Sonny too if I were Mike. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • LOL 1
On 9/16/2020 at 2:26 AM, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I think simpering is a pretty perfect description for Liz. Liz has been an outright witch to Ava, so I don't see any reason why Ava would have nice things to say about her, especially when she's trying to goad Nikolas. If Liz chooses to cheat on Franco, that's on her. 

It's fine if Ava thinks of Elizabeth as simpering and doesn't care to say nice things about her.  I have a problem with her saying "giving into Elizabeth's simpering ways" as if Elizabeth has been trying to seduce Nikolas for months. It's the kind of female-blaming I loathe especially considering that Ava has been purposefully getting close to Elizabeth's husband and hoping that Nikolas would make a move on Elizabeth so that she would gain financially but oops oh well my friend, Elizabeth's husband gets his heart broken. That's shitty especially after she let Franco think for at least a decade that he was Kiki's father and he was hurt to find out that was not the case.

21 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

With Brando showing up it just makes Kristina's absence even more glaring. 

THIS.  Unlike Michael and Josslyn, Mike is the one grandparent Kristina has ever known.  She is the eldest granddaughter, who should mention Avery and Donna in goodbye scenes as she looks at their photos on her phone.  I would actually like to see her reunite with big brother Dante right outside out Mike's room,

16 hours ago, sas616 said:

I won't be surprised if by Friday, Dante shows up at Mike's bedside for his Emmy reel.

Dante and Kristina should have the last goodbye scenes. Dante is the one who found Mike and Avery when Mike's disease was progressing and he wandered off with Avery. Also, after all the fuss about Gladys being Mike's cousin, mother of Brando whom Sonny bribed for Dev's sake, and then he bought Gladys a car so she could "go visit Mike" as often as she wanted, does she get to say goodbye? 

On an unrelated note, I'm sorry BL is even speaking period. After she drugged and tried to rape her friend Dante for money, she is lucky Dante's mother would tolerate her existence in the same room again let alone give her a free room. I don't care that BL is Ned's daughter. Olivia has been Dante's mother a helluva lot longer than she's been Ned's wife.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, bannana said:

We also didn't imagine weird shit that could have happened if my mom lived to be decades older and without alzheimers.

I mean...when my dad died suddenly, I of course mourned for things he'd never be able to see or do, but it was more like, damn, he'll never walk me down the aisle or see his grandkids grow up. It certainly didn't involved elaborate scenarios with the two of us having prolonged conversations. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, nilyank said:
22 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

By the time that Ron Hale retired acting and left the show as Mike, it did seem like things had gotten better between and Sonny had forgiven him.

Maybe. When Max Gail first came on as Mike, Sonny was his usual asshole self, and that got even worse when Mike was first diagnosed with Alzheimer's, IMO. Sonny would yell at Mike for stuff Mike at no control over. I think a lot of my problem is that MB always gave Sonny the most aggressive reaction, and if MB was trying to convey Sonny's concern/alarm/dismay at Mike's progression, that never came across to me. It was just Sonny making it all about him, as usual. He was inconvenienced, he has to carry the burden, etc. The writing has been problematic, to be sure, but MB wasn't doing anything to help.

Now that we're on Death Watch 2020, Sonny's anguish at losing his father doesn't have the punch for me it should. The final moments have gone on way too long, but I still feel like Sonny is only begrudgingly thinking about Mike. Having the priest administer last rites was as much for Sonny as it was for Mike—which I get, but since when was Mike ever religious until Sonny had his memory about Mike leaving the confessional and seeing the guilt on his face?

• Love 1

My mother was in the hospital for two months before an acute sepsis killed her and I can vouch that we had zero of these conversations over her bed. The closest we got was demanding that her doctors pay attention. And then we didn't talk endlessly with everyone who had known her, rehashing everything about what happened in our lifetime.

This show is trolling me -- 53 seconds of Alexis and Diane, (I checked)  and 32 seconds of Robert and Olivia, and then we're right back to Sonny's endless praising and man pain.   If they had not included Alexis and Robert, I would have skipped the episode again.  Like the occasional comments about the mob being bad that go nowhere and Carly saying that she's the most selfish person on the planet (my vote would be split between you and Sonny), they know what I want and what I don't and they thumb their noses at me.

"Sonny would like all of his kids together."  Me:  Except for Kristina. Also there's that selfishness again, it's all about Sonny, not Avery who would be better off having a good time with her mother off in the woods while Sonny and Carly deal with the arrangements.

Final note on Mike's room:  unless Avery is a painting genius, those crayon pictures aren't not age appropriate for her or Donna.  Maybe Spencer's taken up colouring.

Olivia being a card shark is giving me V memories again. Write something different, show.  I did like seeing Ethan show up to join the caper just like the old days of the 90s. But his plan was so stupid. How did Ethan know that he would have them tied up and not just thrown out of the casino which would have made more sense? Yep, thumbing their noses at me.

Is Alexis going to get bone cancer now?  Apparently there is no bottom to the depths of despair the show wants to put Alexis.

• Love 3

Oh, lord. They're really going with the Neil-was-a-druggie angle? Does Alexis have to believe that crap?

9 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Is Alexis going to get bone cancer now?  Apparently there is no bottom to the depths of despair the show wants to put Alexis.

She'll probably lose her hand.

I'm all for lighthearted capers, but Olivia braying in her exaggerated Brooklyn accent isn't what I want to see.

• Love 7

FINALLY. Though I think if we had to have Angelic Courtney leading Mike into the light, then we could have skipped that cheesy as fuck butterfly effect. Anyway: good night, Mike. Travel well.

How typical that Mike had barely been dead five minutes before Jason was bending over backwards to tell Carly how amazing and special and selfless she's been through all this. I don't know if it's my TV or what, but Jason's face has looked ashen as all hell during these scenes, and he honestly looks more corpse-like than Mike, and it's terribly distracting.

Well, well, well, Ava must have taken Nikolas for quite a ride for him to have such a rapid change in attitude towards her. I still don't like him and think Ava would be better off without him, but I won't lie, it was nice to see Ava happy today, hanging with her kid and having a moment of peace with Nikolas.

So I guess Alexis has drawn the short straw and gotten stuck with the sudden-onset medical emergency story this show is so fond of giving us, because hey, GH is ostensibly a medical drama, right? Except it seems cruel to saddle Alexis with this when she's also reeling from finding her dead lover in her bed. Couldn't we just have revisited Bobbie's diabetes and let Alexis catch a damn break for once?

• Love 8

It's over! It's over 🥳

Now, let's drag the funeral for the next couple of weeks, where Mo stutters his way through his lines and gets praised for his powerful acting. Take notes girl playing Joss because Mo is a true pioneer. You will never see better.

That CGI butterfly was a bit much. And thank you, Courtney for being the hero we all needed. You still suck as a character, but thank you for showing up when you did.

Alexis having bone cancer, I can totally see it happening. This show keeps moving us from one depressing thing to the next, so why not that.

I can't with Olivia. I spent 6 years in NYC. The people in Brooklyn are nowhere near as obnoxious as she is. Even the hipsters.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, absnow54 said:

All praise Courtney for finally ending this!

Who knew there would come a time when we would be happy to see her!!

Weird/abrupt cut, Carly calls Ava to tell her about Mike and that Sonny wants all his kids back.  Ava agrees and hangs up, but they cut to the next scene.  I wanted Ava to tell Nik, seeing as Spencer is also Mike's grandchild.  Would have been appropriate since Ava and Nik were actually having a nice moment.  

I squeed a little when Ethan showed up at the blackjack table beside Olivia.  Then I spent a good five minutes trying to remember if the two knew each other and they do.  

I hate that they're saddling Alexis with a health issue, right after killing off her boyfriend, right after taking away her licence but if anyone is up to the challenge it's NLG.  Also, I'm liking the Ned/Alexis vibe going on.

Chase offers BL his couch to stay on, but doesn't she still have the room at the Metrocourt that Olivia comped her? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Linny said:

How typical that Mike had barely been dead five minutes before Jason was bending over backwards to tell Carly how amazing and special and selfless she's been through all this. I don't know if it's my TV or what, but Jason's face has looked ashen as all hell during these scenes, and he honestly looks more corpse-like than Mike, and it's terribly distracting.

That's all that make up piled up on his face.   I have to think he has a ton of sun damage and scaring up close since the make up artists seem to always layer him with foundation.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Linny said:

Jason was bending over backwards to tell Carly how amazing and special and selfless she's been through all this.

Carly doesn't need the tongue bath, but I don't think Jason was wrong when he said Carly did much of the heavy lifting. Stella did a lot of it, too.

I'm glad they had Max Gail close his mouth once he died.

43 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Chase offers BL his couch to stay on, but doesn't she still have the room at the Metrocourt that Olivia comped her? 

She's mad at Olivia right now, so she's being childish and not accepting help from her family. Ugh.

• Love 1