Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Thursday was one huuuge yaaaawn. Except for Robert. But a big 😒😒😒😒 that he would have to go to Ned to Tracy to get a number for Luke!!! He and Luke have fucking history and their friendship goes back further than Luke’s whatever relationship with Tracy! And that Laura wouldn’t have his number!??? FUCKINGA!BULLSHIT!!!🤬🤬🤬

And some more 🙄🙄🙄 at the look of jealousy on Ned’s face at seeing Robert’s hand covering Olivia’s. Thank God he isn’t petty and gave Robert the number.

• Love 3
On 5/20/2020 at 7:28 AM, Katy M said:

I was very pleased to see Genie Francis saying that she was done trying to justify the rape.

I agree. I think Francis was put in a very difficult position, both as a woman facing the public and as an actress who had to play Laura falling in love with Luke. This spring, NLG chatted with/interviewed TG (while they were in quarantine in their respective homes) and Geary said he can remember being the guest star at some mall event after Luke raped Laura. He said female fans were yelling at him "Rape me, Luke!" He asked them to stop (which they did).

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I agree. I think Francis was put in a very difficult position, both as a woman facing the public and as an actress who had to play Laura falling in love with Luke.

Especially since she was so young.  I think people forget that she was only 17 at the time.

30 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

He said female fans were yelling at him "Rape me, Luke!" He asked them to stop (which they did).

What is wrong with people?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I think I’m remembering correctly (but possibly not) that Genie was so young when she started on GH and this story line was so overwhelming, that she started using drugs. She said that drugs were readily available then and she was found passed out in her apartment and saved by some fellow cast mates (Luke?). If I’m wrong about all of this, please feel free to correct me!

14 hours ago, Katy M said:

Especially since she was so young.  I think people forget that she was only 17 at the time.

What is wrong with people?

same thing happened to RoHo when he was on OLTL. It’s why he stopped doing any press for years. 

• Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, Sake614 said:

same thing happened to RoHo when he was on OLTL. It’s why he stopped doing any press for years. 

Yup! I remember Roger saying women were yelling, "Rape me, Todd" to him, and it really rattled him. He was very young w/a wife and a son. All of that freaked him out. Plus, he and Susan (the girl who played Todd's rape victim) fought really hard to keep the writers from pairing Todd & Marty, which is clearly where they were headed. Todd & Marty were going to be the new Luke & Laura if the writers had their way. 

Not only did RoHo stop doing press, but I think that's why he was so adamant about Todd not being written as a romantic lead when he returned to the show the second time. He probably didn't expect TNT to blow up the way it did, and for the audience to still see him as a "romantic lead" when he was being anything but romantic in that pairing but I loved me some TNT. LOL!

Edited by lala2
  • Useful 1

I am reading correctly that the big cliffhanger is that Maxie is pregnant with an LWB/FS baby?

And that Sam confronts Julian about marrying Nelle because Lucas told her OFF-SCREEN?

Not giving me much incentive to come back there, Show.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I am reading correctly that the big cliffhanger is that Maxie is pregnant with an LWB/FS baby?

Not confirmed, but this is probably likely. We haven't had a baby in a few months, you know.

12 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

And that Sam confronts Julian about marrying Nelle because Lucas told her OFF-SCREEN?

Sam would be pissy no matter how she heard about it, and I'm fine not hearing both Lucas and Sam slag their father just because they have no use for him at the moment. They suck.

• Love 8

Lucas getting angry at Julian about marrying Nelle might have some emotional impact. With Sam, it's business as usual.

3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Not confirmed, but this is probably likely. We haven't had a baby in a few months, you know.

And we're all SO EXCITED to see what happens with Maxie and Peter.

While I don't want to hope for anyone to have a miscarriage, not even a fictional character, in this case I'll make an exception.

• Love 5

It’s possible I missed this in the various interruptions, but what happened to Willow’s mom Harmony in regards to her working for Cyrus after TJ was released?

Just finished watching today's NB rerun. In spite of a lot of the cheesiness, I think the one thing it pointed out was what a tremendous, underused talent Kathleen Gati is. She really is a tremendous, campy villain. I'd watch the heck out of a clip episode of her and her evil craziness, especially if she was singing.

• Love 12

Wow, this episode had some of the worst stories ever: Levi (UGH; what a controlling jackass), the kiddie triangle, horrendously precocious Spencer.

Nice to see Shawn, though. Rowr. I miss his terrible aim. If anyone could take out Sonny with a stray bullet, it'd be Shawn.

The Corinthos Coffee offices back then were the MetroCourt set today.

Silas! If nothing else, he gave us (well, me): "You're adults! Supposedly." Thank you for ever for that.

Dr. O's entrance was genius. I miss her nuttiness.

• Love 4
(edited)

Lucy and Felicia were talking about Lucy's affair with Scott, so it probably is that one. I believe it's 2016? The year was mentioned, but I didn't pay close attention.

Edited by dubbel zout
clarity
1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

Which NB was this?  Is this the one where Lucy gets busted for her affair with Scotty?

I think it was 2014. I clicked on the description but of course have since forgotten.

Loved seeing KG at her campy best. She’s one of the few performers on there who consistently gives it her all AND looks like she’s having a blast doing it.

I’d blocked the kiddie triangle out of my mind....ugh. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

The Corinthos Coffee offices back then were the MetroCourt set today.

I think that they only used that for only a week or so. Sonny's office was moved back to the restaurant. Afterwards it was used again for Crimson.

Yes, it was 2014. Lucy made a big deal of it being the 20th anniversary and the young child who was cured from AIDS last year in 2013.

I missed the first half and came in time for the red carpet which I loathe. I wouldn't mind it if it were a mockery of red carpets or the character enjoying a cosplay but they do it seriously. Not every person is a star, just like not every person is a medical expert. We have to accept who we are.

The dresses were pretty, especially Liz's which BH made herself. Sonny cheated on Olivia and thinks that it's no big deal. No surprise.

4 hours ago, rur said:

Just finished watching today's NB rerun. In spite of a lot of the cheesiness, I think the one thing it pointed out was what a tremendous, underused talent Kathleen Gati is. She really is a tremendous, campy villain. I'd watch the heck out of a clip episode of her and her evil craziness, especially if she was singing.

I saw the opening number start and resigned myself to another lot of bad singing and dancing, like a high school play. And then it switched to a full-on professional rendition of Wilkommen with Gati and back-ups singing and dancing like they're in a real theatrical production. A treat for me.

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I missed the first half and came in time for the red carpet which I loathe. I wouldn't mind it if it were a mockery of red carpets or the character enjoying a cosplay but they do it seriously. Not every person is a star, just like not every person is a medical expert. We have to accept who we are

I also think it's ridiculous.  Who is supposed to be watching this small town red carpet show?  I thought it was OK for the 50th, but they should have dropped it after that.

• Love 3

Very unpopular opinion but I hope they air Mac and his ventriloquist act.  I’ll take any Mac, even if it’s Corny Mac.

It was nice to see Nathan.  And Original Recipe Nik and Jordan.  She had the best wardrobe.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

I also think it's ridiculous.  Who is supposed to be watching this small town red carpet show?  I thought it was OK for the 50th, but they should have dropped it after that.

I've lived in smaller towns and larger but not gigantic metro areas -- all of them with local tv stations. And I've see the same kind of red carpet stuff on the local channels or the cable channel that GH does for the NB, so it doesn't bother me that much. The local ones do more dress description and less gossip, but the whole process is awkward, whether it's the Oscars or the opening of the new town theater. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Yes, it was 2014. Lucy made a big deal of it being the 20th anniversary and the young child who was cured from AIDS last year in 2013.

Huh. I think I deliberately boycotted watching that year because of the FUBAR'd story line to usher Robin off the show again. And I was PISSED. But DAYUM! I looooved Ana's dress. And Nik was looking sorta...hot?

They actually went there with a triangle between SpencerEmmaCameron? UUGGGGGH. What 8? 10? year olds even talk like that?

And to clarify, the young girl Lucy was talking about was cured of HIV, not AIDS

The tabloidy emcee just made me want to punch him in the face.

It makes me sad that Duke, who had so much potential upon his resurrection, was destroyed at the altar of Mooby.

Just like Brad and Britt, I 🤣😆 when Sam tripped and fell, because I can't stand her ass.

And while I loathe Dr. Obrecht, Gati's performance was eons, EONS better than that cringeworthy whatever the nurses were singing.

Luke! Ahem. Sorry. See what Hack!Frank! has done to me?

Not that I care, and thanks be to the TV GODS that SheBeast wasn't there, but who did Mooby boink, cheating on Olivia? And clearly it was a forgivable offense, considering that Dante made up with that louse.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3
On 5/24/2020 at 4:08 PM, lala2 said:

Yup! I remember Roger saying women were yelling, "Rape me, Todd" to him, and it really rattled him. He was very young w/a wife and a son. All of that freaked him out. Plus, he and Susan (the girl who played Todd's rape victim) fought really hard to keep the writers from pairing Todd & Marty, which is clearly where they were headed. Todd & Marty were going to be the new Luke & Laura if the writers had their way. 

Not only did RoHo stop doing press, but I think that's why he was so adamant about Todd not being written as a romantic lead when he returned to the show the second time. He probably didn't expect TNT to blow up the way it did, and for the audience to still see him as a "romantic lead" when he was being anything but romantic in that pairing but I loved me some TNT. LOL!

And then Malone and Griffith came back to the show, recast Todd and paired Todd and Marty. And I stopped watching until I heard that Marty held a gun to Todd's head when she finally remembered him. I never warmed to TSJ's "Frodd," and was actively rooting for Marty to pull the trigger lol! More's the pity she didn't. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Sonny cheated on Olivia and thinks that it's no big deal. No surprise.

I liked that Dante called Sonny out for the "it didn't mean anything" excuse (also no surprise). That certainly makes things better, Sonny!

14 hours ago, Katy M said:

Who is supposed to be watching this small town red carpet show?

The townies, of course. This didn't bother me at all, as I come from a place where senior prom is huge and the Kiwanis club (or maybe it's the Rotary) puts on a huge after-prom party for all the high schools, and the staggered arrival is televised on the local cable-access channel. The bars and such always have at least one TV tuned to it. 

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

who did Mooby boink

I think it was Crypt!Sex with Ava.

2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And while I loathe Dr. Obrecht, Gati's performance was eons, EONS better than that cringeworthy whatever the nurses were singing.

I like the opening number because it's something that I can realisitically believe that Molly and TJ wrote.

19 hours ago, mbluecpa said:

I’d blocked the kiddie triangle out of my mind....ugh. 

Which is extra creepy now that Cam has been SORASed to 17 or so and Emma and Spencer are still around 13. And I still find it weird that Joss came from Carly and Jax's union created when they were trying to pass Spencer off as Jax's son, but is somehow now 3 or so years older than Spencer.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Not that I care, and thanks be to the TV GODS that SheBeast wasn't there, but who did Mooby boink, cheating on Olivia? And clearly it was a forgivable offense, considering that Dante made up with that louse.

3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I think it was Crypt!Sex with Ava.

Correct. Which I'm still trying to block from my mind.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've never forgiven Jax for trying to steal Spencer because it resulted in him hooking up with Carly and inflicting Joss onto the world. 

Edited by Mirabelle
  • LOL 4

Ugh, yet another attempt to turn Kristen Alderson into a pop star.

Sorry, but Wallace Kurth is no Meatloaf. And the choreography! It looked like Ned was singing into his backup singer's butt at the beginning there.

Day 2 of Levi: I CANNOT with this fool. 

"It was a mistake, Dante. I don't want anyone but your mother. Unless some temptress seduces me on the Quartermaine crypt, and then all bets are off!"

Magic Milo gave me such intense secondhand embarrassment. The choreography was especially terrible, and I cracked up at Chad Duell mentally counting the beats. I wonder how many of the men needed to be forced into doing that act.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Magic Milo gave me such intense secondhand embarrassment. The choreography was especially terrible, and I cracked up at Chad Duell mentally counting the beats. I wonder how many of the men needed to be forced into doing that act.

The number was terrible, but I give props to most of the men who were still trying to sell it. Unfortunately it only emphasized how unappealing Chad Duell was/is. It seemed to me that  even the camera work was designed to keep him in the background as much as possible. 

Sorry, but Wallace Kurth is no Meatloaf.

But he has a pretty good voice. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Eddie Main was always cringy, but Wally Kurth is adorable.  When I could still put up with DAYS the afternoons where I could flip from DAYS to GH and see him on both shows were my favorites.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Which is why I so much appreciated the number the doctors did in...1998? The one where Port Charles' cast showed up? Wasn't it like some Broadway number? Of course I can't recollect if it was just the female doctors and nurses or both male and female doctors? But I liked it. Or how Ned came in to save the day when Alan was stoned out of his mind and had dropped Robin, to finish the number. Or was that a different year?

(edited)
1 hour ago, rur said:

Sorry, but Wallace Kurth is no Meatloaf.

But he has a pretty good voice. 

Even Mr Blackie commented that he was a good singer, just lacking in the backup band. Was the woman anyone, I cant remember. He kissed her at the end.  And who was Olivia with then, she was talking about being cheated on.(OK I saw answer above) It was nice to see some actors/characters, others not so much.

Who was Elizabeth with?  Rick?

Edited by Blackie
found answer to my question
  • Love 1

Wow. That NB was so badly produced, so badly sung, so badly...everything. I cannot believe that they kept doing this year after year! Why?!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Ugh, yet another attempt to turn Kristen Alderson into a pop star.

U-G-H indeed.  It was a deathly drag during the waning days of OLTL ("Jailbait", anyone?) and I was very unhappy when they tried to carry it over to Kiki.

I feel I like the idea of the Nurses' Ball - a hospital event, lots of characters involved, my girl Lucy Coe getting a spotlight - but I actually hate singing on soaps.

• Love 2

Maxie's hair looked so much better when it was blonde and not that weird grey with black roots.

Cam and Emma were cute (Emma was better than she is now). Spencer was just as obnoxious then as he is now, and I blame Nik and everyone else who thought that precocious/annoying was cute.

8 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

Which is extra creepy now that Cam has been SORASed to 17 or so and Emma and Spencer are still around 13. And I still find it weird that Joss came from Carly and Jax's union created when they were trying to pass Spencer off as Jax's son, but is somehow now 3 or so years older than Spencer.

Cameron and Joss were 15 last summer so they'd be 16 now heading into grade 11 because they were talking about the PSATs. I think Spencer was 14 last summer but he looked much younger as the actor was so much shorter than Joss.

4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Magic Milo gave me such intense secondhand embarrassment. The choreography was especially terrible, and I cracked up at Chad Duell mentally counting the beats.

So. Much. Embarrassment. The Magic Milo segment has turned me off see that sort of thing in real life. It doesn't help that that kind of body usually needs to be artificially created.

1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

Wow. That NB was so badly produced, so badly sung, so badly...everything. I cannot believe that they kept doing this year after year! Why?!

My guess is that the actors really like doing something different. The problem is that so few of them are any good at it, Wally Kurth and Kathleen Gati being the exceptions. Most of the "stars" seem like they would get rejected from an amateur theatre production.

I thought that Tony Geary was exceptionally bad. Judging by that and Luke's look around at all the younger women, I'm guessing that this is a storyline that Geary himself wanted, Luke the dog.  Between him and MB getting all sorts of power to dictate what they wanted in storylines, it must have been an awful set to work on if you weren't one of the in kids.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't think Geary particularly wanted to leer at the ladies. I think he just wanted to play shady in general. (The whole thing was Ron's idea; Geary was thinking about retiring but FV pitched him playing Bill Eckert and he jumped at it.)

That said, he was indeed terrible. So much unsubtle "I'm evOl!" looking around the room.

Oddly enough I liked Magic Milo this time around. Maybe because it is so damn stupid it made me chuckle.

25 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

My guess is that the actors really like doing something different.

I think I heard most of the actors hate it. (Which makes sense to me; extra rehearsal time and a lot of just sitting around watching the other acts.) It's all FV's doing.

Edited by ulkis

I know it's usually cheesy as hell, but I've always enjoyed Wally's singing. Way back to the early days of Justin and Adrienne on Days.

Tony Geary, not so much!

• Love 2

During the Magic Milo number I was mesmorized by how white and doughy CD's body was, especially to as compared to everyone else. He was the only one without a six pack, or even a one pack. He must have been dying. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Sake614 said:

And then Malone and Griffith came back to the show, recast Todd and paired Todd and Marty. And I stopped watching until I heard that Marty held a gun to Todd's head when she finally remembered him. I never warmed to TSJ's "Frodd," and was actively rooting for Marty to pull the trigger lol! More's the pity she didn't. 

I couldn't warm up to Frodd either. TSJ was an awful Todd Manning, IMO. He worked much better as Walker Lawrence. I tuned out when they made TSJ "Todd" and followed RoHo to ATWT. 

The good thing is Roger returned to OLTL, and they retconned that entire Marty/Todd mess of a storyline. Todd would NEVER date Marty. Ever. I heard about that storyline through my sister and the boards and was just disgusted. When Todd returns, one of his best lines was that they should have known TSJ wasn't really Todd when he started dating Marty Saybrooke! He was angry w/them for thinking he'd ever willingly date her after the gang rape! 

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, statsgirl said:

My guess is that the actors really like doing something different. The problem is that so few of them are any good at it, Wally Kurth and Kathleen Gati being the exceptions. Most of the "stars" seem like they would get rejected from an amateur theatre production.

I always wondered why DZ (Dante) never got involved in these shows, because I think his family ran some kind of dance / performance school IIRC, so he must of thought GH's productions were an embarrassment (???)

Although, just to show how worse the nurses balls got, I was watching this one yesterday thinking it was not too bad compared to the ones in the last couple of years.

Edited by Blackie
  • LOL 2
13 hours ago, ulkis said:

That said, [Luke/TG] was indeed terrible. So much unsubtle "I'm evOl!" looking around the room.

I sort of enjoyed the campiness of that, and had to laugh at the total obliviousness of everyone in the room to it. Oh, soaps.

13 hours ago, ulkis said:

I think I heard most of the actors hate it. (Which makes sense to me; extra rehearsal time and a lot of just sitting around watching the other acts.) It's all FV's doing.

Same, though I think it's the mostly actors who aren't singers/dancers who hate it. If you're forced to do something you don't enjoy, it's never fun. It's kind of telling who's never participated: MB, LW, SBu (at least, not for years), DZ, etc. RH finally put her foot down, and good for her. She's definitely paid her dues with the NB.

11 hours ago, lala2 said:

When Todd returns, one of his best lines was that they should have known TSJ wasn't really Todd when he started dating Marty Saybrooke! He was angry w/them for thinking he'd ever willingly date her after the gang rape! 

I detested the Two Todds story. But this was an excellent use of lampshading in a story that desperately needed some.

• Love 4

I didn't realize that this was such an unpopular opinion, but I've always loved the Nurses' Ball and I've really liked most of the numbers over the years.  I prefer the upbeat ones with lots of people involved.  

• Love 7

I like the idea of it—it's always fun when most of the cast is in the same place—but once the budget started getting slashed, it became such a weak event. 

To be sure, I had secondhand embarrassment even during the glory years, such as they were, but back then it looked like the actors were truly enjoying their acts, and hadn't been threatened at gunpoint to participate.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I didn't realize that this was such an unpopular opinion, but I've always loved the Nurses' Ball and I've really liked most of the numbers over the years.  I prefer the upbeat ones with lots of people involved.  

I’m with you.  NB, to me, always signaled the kick off to summer, which are typically when my favorite stories take place.  I loved that the cast was all present and involved (whether performing or just in the audience).  FFS, I cried when Jack Wagner performed a few years ago.  🤦🏻‍♀️  I’m a sap, I’m ok with that, and I’ll be happy to sit at a table at the NB with you.  “You are not aloooooone.....” 🎵🎵🎵

• LOL 2
  • Love 4