Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

It would still be all about Sonny, of course, so what's the problem?

Sonny is clearly still in the land of denial.  I mean, he was still blaming Cyrus for the fact that he couldn't get Mike into the trial in NY and he still believed that the trial was going to be helpful to Mike. 

It bothers me more that Mike didn't have something ready to go, before his illness got worse.  My 81 yr old mother, with dementia is in a nursing home (not a great place to be these days) but she had all of that written up and detailed before she went in, when she was still aware of everything.   

• Love 1

I am so so so glad they reaired that episode today. I mean, I remember the first time I saw Sonny's Alternate Reality, I was captivated and cursed the fact that I didn't save the recording. Oh wait. That's not right. Only positives to today's episode: 

1. Dante. Seriously, figure out a way to get him back

2. Ava smooching Jason. Don't know why, but that cracked me up.

3. Mo looking lost just introducing the episode made me laugh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

And he was a sergeant in the NYPD! The whole episode nearly gave me a rage blackout, because it's pretty similar to what's happening today if you switch the characters. The PCPD is still ineffective and kowtows to the local mob boss, the Jeromes are still OMG TEH EVUL, Jason is still an enforcer, etc., etc.

I did love Sam's mob moll look, though. It suits her. And it cracked me up how much Olivia liked it.

• Love 3

Why would you redesign the sets of the two "biggest" houses of your show, and not create a story line around it? A massive fire tears through PC, or a tornado, or hurricane...not only would it be a perfectly soapy story, but then you have a reason for the set redos. I had no frickin' clue where Sonny was when he walked into the house yesterday.

And why does Mo have a completely empty room in his house? (This from the intro to today's episode.) And what does it look out onto? There were an awful lot of outlets, and I'll admit I loved all the windows, but you could tell from the sound that there wasn't a stick of furniture in it.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

And why does Mo have a completely empty room in his house? (This from the intro to today's episode.

Ya that was weird and so much echo, why not film outside, I was so distracted looking out his windows anyways.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

Why would you redesign the sets of the two "biggest" houses of your show, and not create a story line around it? A massive fire tears through PC, or a tornado, or hurricane...not only would it be a perfectly soapy story, but then you have a reason for the set redos. I had no frickin' clue where Sonny was when he walked into the house yesterday.

And why does Mo have a completely empty room in his house? (This from the intro to today's episode.) And what does it look out onto? There were an awful lot of outlets, and I'll admit I loved all the windows, but you could tell from the sound that there wasn't a stick of furniture in it.

At least have Cyrus burn down the house. I'm sitting here reading about the renovation and wondering why you'd want to renovate while your family is on lockdown. It just seems like an easy way to for someone with bad intentions to get close to your family. 

• Love 8

Ignoring the Sonny episode because, yeah.... going back a few episodes ago to Willow and Chase's conversation in the park, one thing that caught my attention was how they had Willow have a moment or two of empathy almost for Nelle. She was talking about how "hurt comes from hurt," and how Nelle grew up without anyone to love her and that's why she doesn't know how. Chase tried to say that Willow had horrible things happen to her as well, but she wasn't THE EVUL like Nelle. (Oh, Chase, he just can't get over the fact that Nelle fooled his manly-man-masculine powers with her wily wimmens ways!)

However, Willow demurred and pointed out that before things went off the rails with her mom flitting here and there and winding up with Shiloh, that she was given a good foundation, love, and taught good values. It made me automatically think that (a) we were being given that contrast between Willow and Nelle's upbringing, and (b) Willow--like Nina--was getting that Nelle isn't just some soulless demon, but there actually is a reason behind some of what she does. And why would the show do that? Oh, right... because Willow and Nelle are going to be revealed to be twins! AHA!

Then, of course, what happened an episode (or two--I don't remember) later? We had Nelle talking to Nina about her childhood fantasy, what she wanted, the swing on the porch, the happy home, and how she's going to give that to her child. A lovely "mother/daughter" type of bonding moment, Nelle actually opening up, being honest and real with Nina. Oh, and whaddya know... what happened later in that very same episode? Willow bumped into Nina and wound up pouring a bit of her broken heart to Nina about what was going on with her, having her own "mother/daughter" type of moment.

Hmmm............ And, Nelle just happened to walk up on the two. Yeah.

Oh, and one other thought. On another message board I frequent, someone had an interesting thought about the two-halves heart necklace. Willow said that Harmony doesn't keep keepsakes, right? Well, that line was probably given for a reason.

Maybe the two halves of the heart was for the twin babies but when the dark-haired twin was handed over to Harmony, she didn't want the keepsake, any connection to her original family. Sooooooo... Madeline just kept that one for Nina to torture her with. Meanwhile, Frank kept the one for the blond baby he wound up having to keep--as I surmise because he couldn't find a buyer.  That would explain why there is a two-heart necklace, not for Nina but for the twins.

There are just too many anvils being dropped for them not to both be Nina's daughters, and sisters at this point:

- Nelle has the heart necklace.

- The side by side shot with Nina right after the reveal of the heart necklace.

- Nelle almost finding Nina's heart necklace but not...

- Nina talking to Jax about her similarities to Nelle.

- Nelle and Nina's talk about swings, Nina being a sounding board for Nelle.

- Nina being there as a sounding board for Willow.

- Willow actually showing some empathy for Nelle's past, getting that her hurt comes because she's always been hurt.

- Harmony talking about always being happy about the day that Willow "came into her life." Not gave birth, or anything like that.

- Willow specifically mentioning that Harmony doesn't like keepsakes.

- A half-heart necklace with a connected necklace that we've always assumed was daughter/mother, but could be sister/sister when taking into account Willow's line above.

If Nelle and Willow aren't both Nina's daughters/twins, I will be really, really shocked! (And dangit, disappointed!)

Oh, and since I'm resigned to not having my Nellantine (pouts), and since they've gone and destroyed Willow and Chase (ugh!), I'm now decided that Chase is obviously harboring some major unresolved feelings for Nelle that dude has soooooooo not let go of (big-time!). Therefore, once she's redeemed somewhat, I'm all for them going down the Nelle/Chase route once more.

I mean, juicy, juicy, juicy soapy dynamics there!!!

• Love 5

So, in Sonny's mind, he made the right choice becoming a murdering mobster cuz it spared Dante from becoming a bad guy and poor Michael from havng to move away from his precious mommy. He is a true humanitarian. 

• LOL 7
8 hours ago, TVbitch said:

So, in Sonny's mind, he made the right choice becoming a murdering mobster cuz it spared Dante from becoming a bad guy and poor Michael from havng to move away from his precious mommy. He is a true humanitarian. 

Sonny is as pathetic as they come. But the best thing that would have happened to Michael would have been to move away from his precious mommy and take control of his own life. Maybe he wouldn't be the wet rag that we have come to know and roll our eyes at.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, driver18 said:

Willow and Nelle are going to be revealed to be twins!

I am not in a rage blackout about this. GH hasn't done twins in ages (if ever?), so it's a fresh angle for the show. I'm sure it will be badly written, but at least it's not the same warmed-over story we've gotten a million times before.

12 hours ago, driver18 said:

Willow actually showing some empathy for Nelle's past, getting that her hurt comes because she's always been hurt.

This is also to hammer home that Willow is a genuinely good person, I think. She can find something good in everyone, even someone as unredeemable (rme) as Nelle.

10 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Such a giver, Sonny Corinthos!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I am not in a rage blackout about this. GH hasn't done twins in ages (if ever?), so it's a fresh angle for the show. I'm sure it will be badly written, but at least it's not the same warmed-over story we've gotten a million times before.

You forgot the ridonkulous retcon they did of making Jaysus and Drew twins.  So, not a fresh angle.

• Love 3
On 4/24/2020 at 9:52 AM, dubbel zout said:

I also hated Kristina's "why didn't he offer to fix my car for free?" attitude. He didn't run over your dog, you entitled twit. The discount wasn't necessary in the first place. He just was a bit thoughtless (if entirely accurate). Good grief.

I agree, yet her attitude is consistent. When she wanted to go (back) to work at Perk, Sonny told her someone had that job and she was put out that Sonny wouldn't just give her the job/fire or re-assign the employee since she was ready to work.

Elizabeth's scenes with Mike and also Sonny were terrific.  Herbst is wonderful in scenes as a compassionate nurse, as a compassionate friend/mentor type (the scene with Willow at the baby's grave), and as a mother with any of the three boys. I appreciate whenever we get to see that she has/had a life outside of her relationship with Franco. 

Willow has been through so much already - she does not deserve to have Carly and Sonny, and Joss and Kristina as in-laws.  Her being "stupid" by believing that Chase is having an affair with Sasha is not really the issue in my mind. The real problem with their relationship now is that she shouldn't be with someone who would lie to her and go along with an idiotic plan in order for their relationship to be over so she'll do "what's right for her and Wiley." He knows Sasha already has a history of being an idiot because she was Valentin's partner in deceiving Nina. Chase has shown he doesn't respect Willlow's free will and judgement. 

Michael seems mostly in love with Willow at this point, so I expect Willow will lean on him because Chase's poor judgement has broken her heart. Can Sasha please leave town now?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Like a Jessica and Natalie on OLTL kinda thing?  I guess that could interesting. 

But the idea of Nina, NINA, having two kids on canvas is insane to me.

• Love 2

By the way, so glad the show broke up its one gay couple, undid them being parents, and sent them both off-screen so we could tell this mixed couples story with some of its most vanilla/mayonnaise characters.  Ugh. 

So if Willow and Chase are dunzo for now, think he'll hit the sheets with Brook?

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 8
53 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Like a Jessica and Natalie on OLTL kinda thing?  I guess that could interesting. 

But the idea of Nina, NINA, having two kids on canvas is insane to me.

Yeah, the whole Nina part is dumb, but whatever. At least the missing kid been a part of her story from the get-go. 

22 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

So if Willow and Chase are dunzo for now, think he'll hit the sheets with Brook?

If Brook hasn't already snagged Dusty? Probably.

56 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

By the way, so glad the show broke up its one gay couple, undid them being parents, and sent them both off-screen so we could tell this mixed couples story with some of its most vanilla/mayonnaise characters.  Ugh. 

I would hope so because Chase/BL might actually be interesting and it’s strange that they haven’t tried to pair her with anyone yet. But because this show hates me, we’ll probably end up with Chase/Sasha. They probably won’t want another couple to outshine a Michael pairing yet again since I don’t think the show thought people would like Chillow and I already know Michael/Willow will be the most boring pairing alive.

• Love 1

What about Alex/Anna and Emily/Rebecca? I forget if E/R were actually twins or just look-alikes. 

It will be a bit creepy for Willow/Nelle to be twins seeing as they both slept with Chase and soon will have both slept with Michael. 

• Love 2

I forgot all about Rebecca- must have blocked her out - but I think they were just lookalikes.

I like the idea of Nelle and Willow being twins.  I like both the actors and it will give them each a non-Michael storyline.

I actually didn’t mind this Friday Flashback episode, Sonny-centric as it was.  It’s always nice to see Dante.  I agree that Sam looked nice as a mob wife.  She’s very pretty when they do something with her hair.  Years back she had the most enviable hairstyle on the show but nowadays they seem to be favoring the    Quarantine look (limp and unwashed) on her.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Emily and Rebecca were just lookalikes, thank goodness, given what a complete bore Rebecca was. Her introduction was endless—all those dumb shots of her from behind and then lurking around GH somehow unseen. IMO the only thing that made her bearable was her final scene on the airplane with Chad Brannon. 

Anna/Alex was extremely short lived (and not original to GH).

• Love 3

Kevin/Ryan et. al kinda fall into a different trope bucket for me, it's more about keeping an actor they liked that they killed off (in a usually villainous role) as part of the show.  That's Kevin and Ryan, that's Colin and Troy on OLTL, Frankie and Maggie on AMC, etc.  It's a little different than what this Nelle/Willow thing would be.

8 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Emily and Rebecca were just lookalikes, thank goodness, given what a complete bore Rebecca was.

I thought they were twins, didn't Emily's mom sell Rebecca?  It was the same exact crap they did on AMC to explain Babe's twin Marissa popping up out of nowhere, though that was a different actress.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I thought they were twins, didn't Emily's mom sell Rebecca? 

Oh, FFS, I can't remember anything. You're right, they were twins. But given that Emily was dead by the time Rebecca showed up, that aspect was a bust, IMO. What's the point of twins—especially if they're identical—if you don't exploit that? TFGH there.

• Love 1
On 4/23/2020 at 6:15 PM, statsgirl said:

Kristina and Brando aren't that closely related. If Mike is Gladys' cousin, Kristina and Brando would be third cousins.  Distant enough that the genes wouldn't be a problem. Lots of cultures encourage people to marry first cousins.

Especially on a show where first cousins rarely seem to remember they're family, let alone having something ineresting like Franco and Jason being second cousins getting explored.

• Love 2

I didn’t mind Sonny and Carly’s new place but I preferred the old staircase. The new steps look short and just there. That said, instead of investing money in a new set why didn’t they put money into an acting coach for Maurice Bernard? That dude cannons act....at all. When he did the introduction for the Friday’s episode he could barely speak. Obviously, he didn’t have a script which makes it even worse. He can’t even speak about his real life son who was on the show. I just never understood the Maurice Bernard love. I guess it’s his dimples because baby’s and the younger actors love working with him. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

It was interesting to learn that his son played young Sonny.

In some shots he was a dead ringer for Mo, and in others I thought, Why cast his kid if he doesn't look anything like him? Genetics, man. As that wise man Kramer once said, "Mother Nature is a mad scientist, Jerry!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, TVbitch said:

It will be a bit creepy for Willow/Nelle to be twins seeing as they both slept with Chase and soon will have both slept with Michael. 

I hope Willow does not turn out to be Nelle's twin or Nina's bio daughter because Nina has too much arrested development emotionally to try to be a mother to Willow, and Nelle is ... Nelle.

The creepy factor has already been done on this show - Alexis and Sam, who are mother and daughter, both slept with brothers Sonny and Ric, and both had Sonny's daughter except Sonny and Sam's daughter was stillborn.  Sisters Elizabeth and Hayden both slept with Nikolas; Elizabeth slept with Drew and Hayden tried but Drew rejected her. Brothers Jason and AJ both slept with Carly, Keesha (I think), Sonny's blond sister, and Elizabeth.

• Love 3

I didn't see that stupid episode the first time around.  But, I just can't wrap my head around "the world will be a much worse place if you don't murder that person."  I mean that would make sense if it was because the guy he was going to kill went around and did horrible stuff.  But, no, apparently Sonny being a mob boss makes the world a better place.  I guess if that's what your subconscious has to tell you to get you through the night, maybe it does make sense.

• Love 3

I have no idea what the soaps will look like when this is all over or even if they’ll survive. However, if they do, I vote for a total makeover for all of the soaps. We can vote for the characters/ actors that we want to retain and the stories we want to revive (if any). We’re also free to write new plot for any of the characters which will certainly be better and more interesting than anything we’ve seen for many years.

• Love 6
On 4/26/2020 at 1:23 AM, ByaNose said:

I didn’t mind Sonny and Carly’s new place but I preferred the old staircase. The new steps look short and just there. That said, instead of investing money in a new set.... 

I don't think I would have been bothered about their new house, if I hadn't seen Frank's tweet a couple of hours before the episode aired. It said something like, "Someone special is getting new digs!!" 

Sweet, trusting fans were guessing logical things like a mayor's office for Laura, a bedroom for Anna and Finn, etc. Nope. Just a redo of a set that already exists, for a colossally over-exposed couple.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I don't think I would have been bothered about their new house, if I hadn't seen Frank's tweet a couple of hours before the episode aired. It said something like, "Someone special is getting new digs!!" 

Sweet, trusting fans were guessing logical things like a mayor's office for Laura, a bedroom for Anna and Finn, etc. Nope. Just a redo of a set that already exists, for a colossally over-exposed couple.

I assumed it was Sonny because Frank did the exact same thing for his kitchen set. I think he enjoys trolling

Edited by ffwbe

I had to laugh that Brando had no reaction to Molly's (only on a soap!) line: "All this time I thought TJ had dumped me, he was abducted!" He's been in Port Charles long enough not to be surprised, heh.

As usual, Sonny is being a petulant, selfish child when it comes to Mike's needs. I wish Carly would get tougher with him. Sonny has to start making these kinds of decisions. Tough shit that it's hard. Life is hard, asshole. UGH. And of course it's Carly doing the heavy lifting with the kids. Ugh. 

And Sam's face when Molly said she and TJ were going to be domestic partners was a bit much. If they're fine with it, what business of is it of Sam's? It's not like she's in a healthy relationship with Jason, even aside from the parole limitations.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I had to laugh that Brando had no reaction to Molly's (only on a soap!) line: "All this time I thought TJ had dumped me, he was abducted!" He's been in Port Charles long enough not to be surprised, heh.

As usual, Sonny is being a petulant, selfish child when it comes to Mike's needs. I wish Carly would get tougher with him. Sonny has to start making these kinds of decisions. Tough shit that it's hard. Life is hard, asshole. UGH. And of course it's Carly doing the heavy lifting with the kids. Ugh. 

And Sam's face when Molly said she and TJ were going to be domestic partners was a bit much. If they're fine with it, what business of is it of Sam's? It's not like she's in a healthy relationship with Jason, even aside from the parole limitations.

The episode on CTV was a repeat of Thursday here. 

• Love 1
On 4/25/2020 at 4:33 PM, dubbel zout said:
On 4/25/2020 at 4:03 PM, perkie1968 said:

Kevin and Ryan?!

Okay, GH has done twins.

yeah, but they were raised together, not separated at birth.  Have they done a separated at birth story?  I don't know the details of Anna/Alex, and she came to AMC years after I stopped watching.

On 4/26/2020 at 11:34 AM, Bringonthedrama said:

n.  Sisters Elizabeth and Hayden both slept with Nikolas; Elizabeth slept with Drew and Hayden tried but Drew rejected her. Brothers Jason and AJ both slept with Carly, Keesha (I think), Sonny's blond sister, and Elizabeth.

and Elizabeth slept with brothers Lucky and Nikolas.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, MarciNJ said:

yeah, but they were raised together, not separated at birth.  Have they done a separated at birth story?  I don't know the details of Anna/Alex, and she came to AMC years after I stopped watching.

Wouldn't that be Jason and Drew?

If the show is already going to annoy us with the unnecessary flashbacks, they could at least leave out reairing scenes from the previous episode. You could have thrown in Neil and Alexis’ 10 second scene about her getting reported to the Bar on Thursday’s episode if that was all they had left. Instead they added in half of Thursday’s scenes because that conversation wasn’t boring enough the first time. Well I guess JF and NLG got paid for an extra day so that’s something. 

• LOL 1

How nice to see Mac doing actual police work! Making logical assumptions! Actively pursuing leads! 

LOL at all the dick swinging when Sonny and Jason met Cyrus and his muscle. Sonny is not the intimidator he things he is.

Sheesh, Lulu. You got what you wanted from Valentin. Take the win, be cordial to him when you see him (don't gloat), and don't trash him to Charlotte.

Sam sitting there while Molly was trying to work through her feelings all the while knowing what really happened to TJ annoyed me to no end. 

Really, Show? A car repair bill is being made one of the cliffhangers?

Previews: Why are some of them from the episode we just saw? That's not how previews work.

Edited by dubbel zout
typo, and a bad one
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

As usual, Sonny is being a petulant, selfish child when it comes to Mike's needs. I wish Carly would get tougher with him. Sonny has to start making these kinds of decisions. Tough shit that it's hard. Life is hard, asshole. UGH.

What's worse? I just saw a scene (one that I'd forgotten about) when I went down the rabbit hole of the Stone's AIDS story line, and Mooby tells Brenda about Robin's HIV+ status? When Brenda started to console him, he cut her off and said "It's not about me" THAT RIGHT. There was a time when he wasn't such a narcissistic...oh wait. Never mind. It was only during this story line, that we saw that he could be unselfish and think of others.

35 minutes ago, MarciNJ said:

I don't know the details of Anna/Alex, and she came to AMC years after I stopped watching.

That's just it. Anna/Alex originated on AMC, not on this fakakta show.

29 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Technically, yes. But per usual, Drew/Billy got jettisoned real quick, and couldn't even be bothered with trying to have these two to try and form a relationship. So by that virtue, they don't count.

11 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:
42 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Technically, yes. But per usual, Drew/Billy got jettisoned real quick, and couldn't even be bothered with trying to have these two to try and form a relationship. So by that virtue, they don't count.

Also, I've already forgotten about them.  Poor Billy Miller - he deserved so much better.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I don't count them as a twin story because of all the even unbelievable for a soap retcons that have occurred. Between the convoluted Jason-Drew story line, the way both old Franco and NuFranco got involved, not to mention first Helena, then Faison, then Peter, and two or three shady "medical" institutes, not to mention Leisl Obrect and essentially the kidnapping of most of the Scorpio family, what did it matter in the long run that they were twins? As I was writing this, I realized how soapy it sounded. Too bad most of the related story lines ended up being pretty dull. 

2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Previews: Why are some of them from the episode we just saw? That's not how previews work.

I know!   I thought that was hilarious.  Someone in editing was asleep at the wheel.