Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Yeah and they said they were going into their junior year this year. 

I'm from a state that issues licenses at 17 so i wasn't sure, thanks.

Edited by ulkis
5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Is Dev a minor? Can he be deported even if he entered the country on a false passport? I'd think Sonny would be in bigger trouble for the false documents he had made. 

I don't know US law but why wouldn't someone in the country illegally be deported?

Joss did say that they couldn't tell anyone because Sonny would be in trouble.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I don't know US law but why wouldn't someone in the country illegally be deported?

Welcome to the most intense political debate of the last 4 years.

On the show, Dianne said that he would be sent back to Turkey, and that would get him killed according to him.

• Love 1

Why don't Jax and Laura tell Ava why they want the painting, just say it is for Spencer, and I am sure she would help.  She still feeling guilty that she backed out of testifying against Valentine and if she thought it would now help Spencer she would help.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, blondiek237 said:

Why don't Jax and Laura tell Ava why they want the painting, just say it is for Spencer, and I am sure she would help.  She still feeling guilty that she backed out of testifying against Valentine and if she thought it would now help Spencer she would help.

Why would they go down easy road when they can make it more complicated? Why would Laura talk to Valentin about it at all when she knew the painting had been trashed. Now he knows about the codicil, so maybe he gets his hands on the painting and destroys it. Would serve them right. 

• Love 1

I really hate how stupid they're writing Laura and by extension, Jax. As soon as Tad walked back into the house to retrieve his iPad, I knew he had recorded their entire conversation. And yet that thought never entered either of their minds? Instead it was all 'what was that all about?'

I don't really have an issue with Alexis tipping off Kendra about the rat poison. She wanted to get a reaction to gauge whether Neil was onto something, and the minute she said the doctors brought in the police, Kendra panicked. Only slightly, but it was there nonetheless. Of course the pill she gave Alexis won't contain anything dangerous, but Alexis is now wary of her. I just want this whole story to be over already. It was stupid before it started.

And while I'm on the subject of Kendra, did anyone notice Kiefer's headstone when she visited his grave? "Kiefer John Bauer" I mean, we always knew his name was a rif on Kiefer Sutherland/Jack Bauer, but geez show.  That character was no Jack Bauer! "Kiefer Bauer" would've wet his pants at the mere sight of Jack Bauer.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

And the pregnancy pad goes to! *drum roll* everyone hold your breaths! We haven't had a pregnant woman in a month! That must be some kind of record!

Can't go a year without someone being pregnant, so yeah . . .

Leisl's reaction to Brad crying was pretty funny. I comforted you, now stop this thing you're doing at once! 

• Love 7

I’m hoping it turns out to be false. I was about to ask what would be the point of Willow being pregnant storyline-wise but we just had the most pointless pregnancy in the history of soaps so I’m not sure if the show cares. I guess they could make it where she doesn’t want the baby and Chase does but I still don’t know how exciting that is. Maybe I should pick my battles because at least they are age appropriate, don’t already have a million kids, and no ties to the Corinthos family. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, TVbitch said:

But also why would they believe Ava hastily sold the painting to some random person when they know she knows how valuable it is. 

While she is in Shadybrook. She's in a mental hospital, and I'm pretty sure that precludes her from dealing with clients and selling stuff.

I'm wondering if Willow's pregnancy will be the way the truth about Wiley will be revealed.  If it weren't for the baby swap, Wiley would be a half-sibling to her unborn baby.

But omg, we do not need yet another baby on this show. How about a teenager to throw a wrench into the four musketeers? We could do with more teenagers/early 20s - we do NOT need another little kid.

• Love 1

Nik's fight scene with Hayden's thug was much better than anything Jason does. 

Why hasn't anyone had a near-miss with Nik? So stupid.

The baby swap might be bearable if Brad hadn't immediately started getting squirrelly/dyspeptic/evasive. Or if they had to go this way, the story should have come out a lot sooner. The story is so boring right now. Lucas acts self-righteous (somewhat deservedly) and Brad just stares at him. Zzzzz.

Maybe take a pregnancy test before telling Chase, huh, Willow? That way if there's news to tell, you know for sure.

Violet is too cloying and saccharine for me.

1 minute ago, Pingaponga said:

Willow's pregnancy

Heavy, heavy sigh. Though if it speeds up the baby reveal, maybe I won't hate it too much.

43 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Leisl's reaction to Brad crying was pretty funny. I comforted you, now stop this thing you're doing at once! 

As she tries to comfort him: "Oheww, pat, pat, pat. That's enough. I've consoled you, now man up!" I can't disagree with Liesl here. 

After hearing that Alexis has contacted the police, I can't believe Kendra would be stupid enough to give her something that wasn't totally on the up and up. So the pill being gingko biloba means nothing.

Previews: Oh, gross, they're teasing Mike precariously holding Donna. No upper limit on ughs for this.

• Love 4

Of course Nik sees nothing wrong with separating a parent with a child as Spencer still believes his father was murdered over three years ago.

I knew that Nik hired a thug in order to scare Hayden to leave town. Because it is such a stupid plan and basically pointless move as Valentin now knows about the codicil.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

As she tries to comfort him: "Oheww, pat, pat, pat. That's enough. I've consoled you, now man up!" I can't disagree with Liesl here. 

It was all in the facial acting. There was this look of horror and disbelief on her face that reminded me so much of Moira Rose and Jocelyn watching Alexis's audition on Schitt's Creek.

• Love 4

I don't know why but I got such a kick out of little Violet spelling "K-I-S-S-Y-N-G" wrong. I don't know if that was deliberate or if the actress did it wrong, but I thought it was utterly adorable and rewound it about three times.

• Love 8

I can't believe I was actually waiting for Nik to come back.

It could be good soap if the Wylie reveal comes about because of something wrong with Willow's baby, although that's very close to baby Kristina and Sam's baby.

18 hours ago, ouinason said:

On the show, Dianne said that he would be sent back to Turkey, and that would get him killed according to him.

That settles it. Because Diane has never been known to exaggerate for her clients. (Not buying it.)

• Love 1

Noooooo, not another baybay. Ugh.

Honestly if they keep going this way with making the codicil clown posse so Goddamn dumb, and Nik willing to kill and betray and screw over little kids, I will actually have to start rooting for Valentine. At least he is not a total fucking idiot.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, driver18 said:

I don't know why but I got such a kick out of little Violet spelling "K-I-S-S-Y-N-G" wrong. I don't know if that was deliberate or if the actress did it wrong, but I thought it was utterly adorable and rewound it about three times.

I love violet and her little speech impediment. She lights up the screen for me! 💖

• Love 7

I missed today, but I hear we got Brook/Lucas scenes?  And an update on off-screen Britt?  Two things I can be very thankful for.

An early happy T-Day, friends.  May your mansions be full of pizza and not full of former serial killers with a flashdrive in their brain.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
23 hours ago, statsgirl said:

You’d think that would be the case and it should be the case (and many are wondering why it’s not the case) but it’s... complicated... (because of politics) here.

Dev is still a minor and it’s being claimed he’ll be killed if he goes back, so he should apply for asylum, which does generally go well for the applicant when they can prove their claims and are willing to follow procedure.

Edited by katie9918

It seems to me that the show is trying to piggyback onto the situation of people who come to the US illegally because of dangerous conditions in their home countries, and make the audience think that it is the same for Dev.

But unless Dev is a journalist or a professor or participates in protests against the government, or is Kurdish (which his name Cerci does not sound like) or gay, he really shouldn't have a case for political asylum over those who are genuinely in danger. Saving Sonny's life shouldn't count other than for Sonny.

The UN High Commissioner for Refugees has a long list of people looking for asylum who genuinely would be killed if they returned to their home countries especially those countries where gay men and women are murdered. I work with refugees, Dev is just a queue jumper protected by Sonny and the show saying otherwise drives me crazy.

Maybe if they made Dev gay ... but then he couldn't be Joss' love interest.

(I've tried to stick to the show and current events and not go into politics. I hope this is okay. )

• Love 8

I thought Dev was in danger from the people that kidnapped Dante because he helped Sonny. Since he was a key witness, I don't understand why that fake government agency WSB didn't use it's clout to help with Dev's asylum request. It's not like Robert doesn't know who he is.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I know Port Charles cops are useless, but has Alexis thought of calling them?  Or at least Spydersearching Kendra?  Or hiring Curtis to find out who Kendra is and why she would want to poison Alexis?  Amazing how quickly tests were run on that pill, (harmless as it was.)

I think a Willow baby will lessen the dramatic impact of learning her firstborn died, not that one child can replace another.   While it could have been a random SIDS death, will Brad have to worry about not speaking up about the new baby being at risk?

• Love 2
9 hours ago, nilyank said:

I thought Dev was in danger from the people that kidnapped Dante because he helped Sonny. Since he was a key witness, I don't understand why that fake government agency WSB didn't use it's clout to help with Dev's asylum request. It's not like Robert doesn't know who he is.

Why should the WSB get involved? Mooby is a murdering mafia thug. Robert is forced to deal with him; he doesn’t have to do him any favors.

• Love 1

Rebecca Budig did rock that goodbye scene with Violet. I will miss Hayden. I don't know if RB has anything else going on career-wise that would hurt the chances, but I won't be surprised if the character is back again soon. I can't say I feel they used all of her time wisely in this temp return, but she was getting better material toward the end (minus the time-wasting day of her looking at Kim's apartment). I especially liked her and Rebecca Herbst as sisters, as I had the first time around.   

Where did Nikolas find that guy to pretend to attack Hayden anyway? Nik has been away for years; it doesn't seem likely he'd have an underworld network ready to hop to. Did he look in the Yellow Pages under "Hired Goons" and put that on Jax's credit card as well?

At least he got his money's worth. From Hayden's perspective, it did look like a real fight. I suspected even yesterday that he was behind it, though, and when he came back and played rescuer, I was sure.  

Thanksgiving: I'm thankful that CvE and his new co-head writer are doing some good things. The episode earlier this week with all the Stella was an unusually solid complete episode. And I'm thankful, honestly, that the show is still on to complain about. The devoted viewers of Another WorldGuiding LightAs the World TurnsOne Life to Live, and All My Children, some of whom grew up with those shows or inherited a love of them from their parents, don't get the occasional enjoyable episode anymore, or the fun of bitching when the show isn't great.  

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

So now everyone will think the worst of Hayden. Ugh. I hope at least Jax and Laura can let Finn/Anna know she might be in danger.

Not unless Nik tells Jax and Laura what happened. Either that Hayden was threatened by Valentin and a goon came after her or the full truth that Nik hired that goon to scare Hayden.

• Love 1

This iteration of Nik is nothing but a two-bit PUNK. 
My eyes rolled so hard they fell out of my head as I watched Nik tell Hayden that leaving/abandoning her daughter was the BEST thing for her.🙄🙄🤬🤬😒😒

Like his entitled ass had the day to day care of Spencer. And Hayden couldn’t tell Jax she was being threatened? Oh right. FAKAKTA show had to write Rebecca out somehow!

So, who’s going to find the note?

I’m glad I was a kid/teen when I was a kid/teen. I don’t think we ever got any preaching about “learning our lesson” in in school suspension like this set of teens did.🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Love 2

Today's storylines as components of a Thanksgiving meal:

The Corinthos gang/Sonny's paaiiin: the turkey. Dull and dry, yet it impossibly remains the centerpiece of the table year after fucking year.

Brad/Lucas/Wiley: canned cranberry sauce. Nobody much likes it and its expiration date is questionable, but it somehow still keeps getting served.

Alexis/Kendra/Neil: green bean casserole. A largely unappetizing throwback dish that is only slightly redeemed by its crunchy onion topping (in this case, Neil).

Finn/Violet: pumpkin pie. It's honestly not that remarkable, and there are definitely better pies out there, but it's sweet and dependable.

Liz/Franco: a roll, chucked onto your plate at the last minute only because you had some space to fill, and not necessarily because you wanted it. It's Thanksgiving and you will gorge yourself, dammit.

Happy Thanksgiving, guys! I hope however you're spending your day, it's a good one.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

"I just want for the family a day I can enjoy." Of course it's all about you, Sonny. Even on Thanksgiving.

Why hasn't anyone told Sonny to stop pushing Mike to remember? It's frustrating for everyone. It's also really annoying as a viewer to see Sonny so obtuse.

Well, hey! Alexis got smart and followed Kendra to see what she was up to. That was unexpected. Her getting taken by Kendra was, however. Oh, well.

• Love 7

How many times have we actually SEEN James? He's over 1, and we've seen him...maybe 5 times? I'm pretty sure we've seen Donna, who's like a month old, more than James. We've seen Violet more than we've seen James. I'm not saying we need to see the kids all the time - there are way too many little kids on this show - but James's mother Maxie was born on the show to what was a big-name couple. And we never, ever see her kid.

• Love 1

So as I'm digesting, I caught up on the Brook/Lucas scenes from the other day and I thought they were nice.  I think it was smart, given I'm guessing she's gonna be sass and attitude with most people, that they showed her having a warm, genuine interaction with someone because what Amanda Setton also did well on OLTL was play a super loyal friend.

Although, it did seem like there was a scene missing.  We jumped from Lucas asking how long she was in town and Brook kinda smirking to Lucas having already filled her in on his marriage problems.

Also, Liesl's evident disgust with Brad cracking under the weight of the secret was rather amusing.  And while I liked the Britt voicemail (I think that was there to set up a visit from her when this all comes out), it is pretty sad that Brad has N-O-O-N-E on canvas to talk to, when he's been a character for years and a soap is all about connections.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, TVbitch said:

So now everyone will think the worst of Hayden. Ugh. I hope at least Jax and Laura can let Finn/Anna know she might be in danger.

Nope, Hayden left a note for Finn explaining as much as she could, and Anna said a couple of times that there's no way that Hayden would have left Violet unless she absolutely had to and it would have put Violet in danger otherwise.

• Love 2

Lulu to Charlotte;  "Us Spencer girls are so resilient"  (or whatever)

Really, girl reporter who never went to college or had any kind of training?  US Spencer girls???  She must keep her editor busy...

• Love 3
13 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

it is pretty sad that Brad has N-O-O-N-E on canvas to talk to, when he's been a character for years and a soap is all about connections.

It kind of fits, though, given what a sleazeball he was in the beginning. His outcast status with Britt was perfect, so of course the show dumps her. It's too bad the baby switch stuff has gone downhill, because I think Julian was a decent confidant until Brad wanted him to kill Obrecht. 

Given the giant secret, there are very few people he can talk to and not be afraid they'd tell Michael or worse, Sonny and Carly. In some ways, it's bad enough he's involved Julian, because Julian is going to get a big chunk of blame for things when the secret comes out.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, MarciNJ said:

Lulu to Charlotte;  "Us Spencer girls are so resilient"  (or whatever)

Really, girl reporter who never went to college or had any kind of training?  US Spencer girls???  She must keep her editor busy...

She did go to college briefly, heh.

Bleh. Charlotte is in the bargain bin with Ethan.

Edited by ulkis

Just speculating but I think Lucas is going to end up seriously injured but not die, leaving Julian to feel guilty. Unless this is Julian’s exit story, there’s no way they would make him responsible for his son’s death because he can’t come back from that. Sabotaging Brad’s car was terrible enough. 

Edited by ffwbe
  • Love 2

Rebecca Hearst is an underrated actress. Her expressions when Franco told her that he was going to do the procedure spoke volumes of joy, conflict and sympathy.

Sonny and Carly reminding Mike that Sonny is his son while Mike thinks that he's a kid and waiting for his parents was gross. Also, it really showed how bad an actor MB is compared to Max Gail.

20 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Well, hey! Alexis got smart and followed Kendra to see what she was up to. That was unexpected. Her getting taken by Kendra was, however. Oh, well.

From what Kendra said to Dead Keifer, something about their plan working, it made me think that Kendra intended Alexis to follow her and find out. So part marks to Alexis.

Also part marks to the director because Kendra hit Alexis on the back of the head but the wound appeared  on her forehead.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

One or both might end up in ICU. If it's Brad, I can see him deliriously spilling the Wiley secret. If it's Lucas, Julian and Brad are at loggerheads again. (Which, zzz.) If both, watch Michael/Carly and Sonny swoop in to take care of Wiley. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Also part marks to the director because Kendra hit Alexis on the back of the head but the wound appeared  on her forehead.

And the "rock" was the size of a potato.  

The previews show them together in the car.  Does she have a way to threaten Alexis to get her into a car, or does she hold up her potato-rock?

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, ciarra said:

And the "rock" was the size of a potato.  

The previews show them together in the car.  Does she have a way to threaten Alexis to get her into a car, or does she hold up her potato-rock?

I'm sure they'll just have that be their first scene and we're to surmise Kendra dragged or carried her there.

Poor Pilar the Put-Upon Nanny.  I hope getting Why-is-he-there-other-than-contrivance-ley at the last minute earns her some bonus pay.  And yeah for another showcasing of Sonny's man pain.  We haven't seen that in...hours.

• LOL 4

Violet was interesting as long as Hayden was onscreen because it created dramatic tension. Now that Hayden is gone, all that's left is for Finn and Anna to play Happy Families with Violet. yawn

It was rather hilarious that Pilar is now looking after Avery, Donna and Wiley on Thanksgiving Day.  Leo's nanny is presumably looking after Scout and Danny, and James is with Felicia. I hope these nannies get triple time pay for working the holiday.

Tell me why this show needs another child.

• Love 8

I don't know, there might be some awkwardness since neither Finn nor Anna have ever actually raised a kid.  Anna's children were put up for adoption, raised by someone else, or died as an infant.  

That's actually sort of depressing.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, ouinason said:

I don't know, there might be some awkwardness since neither Finn nor Anna have ever actually raised a kid.  Anna's children were put up for adoption, raised by someone else, or died as an infant.  

That's actually sort of depressing.

Not exactly. While it’s true that Filomena raised Robin for the first six years, once her parentage was revealed, Anna raised her until her “death” some seven years later.

So yeah, Anna did raise her child.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, statsgirl said:

From what Kendra said to Dead Keifer, something about their plan working, it made me think that Kendra intended Alexis to follow her and find out. So part marks to Alexis.

No, she said that her initial plan didn’t work-because she expected Alexis to be dead by now, but someone figured out what was going on. Or words to that effect. What she did say was she would figure something else out because Alexis DESERVED to die for what she did, and then laid her fingers on his headstone after kissing said fingers.

• Useful 2

I get why Sonny’s sense of denial re. Mike is annoying to some viewers, especially those who are already annoyed by Sonny in general, but it’s actually pretty realistic. Speaking as someone with experience in this area, it’s very hard to let go of the hope that the person you knew and loved is still in there somewhere, and the impulse to help them find their way back is very strong.  I tried a lot of futile reminders myself, and I’m not a jackass. (I hope.)

On 11/27/2019 at 9:05 AM, Sake614 said:

And while I'm on the subject of Kendra, did anyone notice Kiefer's headstone when she visited his grave? 

My question is, how is everyone buried in that small area right near the entrance? Anytime someone visits a grave, it’s always right there.  Do they have a revolving visitor’s plot? Or is it like a timeshare for corpses?

On 11/27/2019 at 2:24 PM, Pingaponga said:

I'm wondering if Willow's pregnancy will be the way the truth about Wiley will be revealed.  If it weren't for the baby swap, Wiley would be a half-sibling to her unborn baby.

I’m guessing this will be it. New baby Sapling will need a transfusion of some kind from a blood relative, who will not be Wiley. And yes, as was noted previously, this storyline has been done before, but when has this show ever been above recycling it’s own crap?

On 11/27/2019 at 5:28 PM, Gam2 said:

I was impressed with Rebecca Budig’s acting today. She was so teary eyed and trying so hard to hold herself together in front of her child. It made me tear up too.

She will be missed.

• Love 3