Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

Could someone explain to me the point of Dev? Why was he brought on the show? What did he contribute? Why is he leaving now? I didn't advance a plot or anything, so why did he even exist?

He was brought on because he is buddies with Eden McCoy and she basically got him the job.  Apparently they wanted to get rid of him sooner and even wrote him out by sending him to boarding school.  They retracted and I guess they had no choice this time due to "budget."  Even though the actors they got rid of probably made little money compared to some others who should be shown the door.

Edited by Hater
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, VioletMarx said:

The scene with her telling Luke was years later. Laura came upon a dead guy in her apartment (as one does) and it caused a flashback/PTSD moment to the David Hamilton thing. Luke wasn't even on the show yet when she killed DH.

I stand corrected.

3 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

If anything I blame Portia or whoever else was on call in the emergency room for keeping her waiting just because she didn't look like she was in that bad of shape.  

This. Somebody at that hospital  should have been doing triage and immediately realized that there was something wrong by looking at her eyes. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

Could someone explain to me the point of Dev? Why was he brought on the show? What did he contribute? Why is he leaving now? I didn't advance a plot or anything, so why did he even exist?

A replacement for the "voids" left by Morgan's and Oscar's deaths. In one teenager, you have a guy who can be a replacement "son" for Sonny (who looks up to him as a so-called role model) and wants to prove himself to/work for Sonny at some point, as well as add a second teen boy to the teen group of 3. and bring some drama to the lives of Joss, Cam and Trina.  But his character was a fail in my opinion because the Show didn't need more Sonny proppers. 

Dev's back story was created because Mike mistakenly thought Dev was related to Gladys, as the son of her son Brando. Now that Mike is dead and the Brando character is established as Sonny's loyal adult cousin (another actual Sonny family member), Dev was no longer needed.

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

At this point was does Julian want Ava to do?  She said his options are tell Sonny the truth and  die or head out of town to hide and he's all, I don't like those options.  What do you want, dude? 

That he didn't have a plan of what he would do (which, to my mind, was a go bag, tons of cash, fake ID, etc) is ludricrous.  I don't want him dead, but he's acting like someone with a death wish. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Dev's back story was created because Mike mistakenly thought Dev was related to Gladys, as the son of her son Brando.

Only because Sonny told him that's who Dev was. As usual with Sonny, he takes the most complicated path when something a lot simpler would be just as effective, not to mention easier to keep going. If three teenagers could easily figure out Dev was a ringer, your story isn't as solid as you thought.

1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I don't want [Julian] dead, but he's acting like someone with a death wish. 

He is astonishingly ill-prepared. DGAF Julian would have had a plan. I hate how they turned him into a weakling just so that Sonny can retain his top-dog status. It's so stupid. Sonny has been an ineffective mobster for years. It's so aggravating that the show won't do anything with him except prop him to the skies. It's also supremely boring.

• Love 12

I wish investigators would at least given lip service to the fact that the bomb could have been planted at Mac's place BECAUSE he's the Commissioner. Much more likely a motive than a hasty plant just because Jason happened to wander in.

I just realized that this must be a very painful day for Carly. After all, the Floating Rib (formerly Jake's) is where she used to pork Jason -- AND where her golden child was conceived. 

Just for fun, the original Floating Rib:

Edited by Auntie Velvet
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I wish investigators would at least given lip service to the fact that the bomb could have been planted at Mac's place BECAUSE he's the Commissioner. Much more likely a motive than a hasty plant just because Jason happened to wander in.

LOL. It's always about Sonny, where have you been?

• LOL 2
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So. Emme departs as she arrived...in a coma.

Alrighty then!

I kind of like the idea of a JMB return from a different coma, even though I have no clue if she's into the idea of returning. Otherwise, I suppose we'll get another recast one day.

• Love 6

William Lipton is such a good actor and the perfect compliment to Rebecca playing his mom. I love him! His reaction to Dev's death was top notch and definitely the best of anyone who grieved Dev. I feel the most for Cam too, losing both of his male best friends so young. The kid's gone through a lot the last couple of years. 

I keep thinking what a perfect time it'd be to bring Lucky back even as a recast. Between Lulu's coma, Franco potentially becoming Serial!Killer!Franco! again, and Cam having the worst couple of years, it'd make a lot of sense.

I'm totally fine with a JaSam split, but it does seem kind of weird to do this sudden 180 where Sam can't deal with Jason being a mobster. She was preaching the opposite for years to the point where she picked him over Drew because of his "adventurous" lifestyle that she loves. I think it would've made more sense to have built up her and Julian reconciling the past few months and then have Jason kill him in this storyline, leading to tension between them. But, that's even weird now since I feel like the Sam of recent history would be like, "I get why you killed him, Jayyyyy-sun" versus even being conflicted.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I just realized that this must be a very painful day for Carly. After all, the Floating Rib (formerly Jake's) is where she used to pork Jason -- AND where her golden child was conceived. 

Just for fun, the original Floating Rib:

Wow Auntie Velvet, thanks so much for posting this! I had been a GH fan for about 3 years at that point, but probably missed this episode while away at College. There was something so elegant and sophisticated about those scenes - classy, educated doctors instead of mobsters. Both LC and DA were in their respective primes back then to, both looking stylish. Helps me remember why I fell in love with this Soap.

ETA: Even the background music playing at the Floating Rib was elegant. Current show-runners please note, that's how it was done in the "old days."

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Laur said:

I'm totally fine with a JaSam split, but it does seem kind of weird to do this sudden 180 where Sam can't deal with Jason being a mobster. She was preaching the opposite for years to the point where she picked him over Drew because of his "adventurous" lifestyle that she loves. I think it would've made more sense to have built up her and Julian reconciling the past few months and then have Jason kill him in this storyline, leading to tension between them. But, that's even weird now since I feel like the Sam of recent history would be like, "I get why you killed him, Jayyyyy-sun" versus even being conflicted.

I actually don't think that is her issue. Her biggest beef seems to be that Jason is not communicating with her directly about stuff and to find things about secondhand like today with long haired bodyguard Rob(?), or him calling her immediately when something goes does, or answering her numerous calls/texts. Or how Jason didn't go home with her but went to do mob investigations on the bombing. These past few days have made it clear that Jason could put her on  the backburner while he attends to his priorities. Which isn't her and the kids. Before she was fine with that, but now it starting to become an issue for her.

Edited by nilyank
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Laur said:

I keep thinking what a perfect time it'd be to bring Lucky back even as a recast. Between Lulu's coma, Franco potentially becoming Serial!Killer!Franco! again, and Cam having the worst couple of years, it'd make a lot of sense.

The show could have super used a Lucky recast for about three years now. I laugh when I see some say Lucky on the show would be weird now. There are like 50 million scenes where I think SOMEONE CALL LUCKY.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

"Her recovery will take a long time. If she recovers at all." Laura, talk to Jax. He can give you the name of a good facility.

I thought you were going to say, "he could buy her a brain."

• LOL 7
13 hours ago, Pingaponga said:

I'll add my two cents.  

In a purely practical sense, he had the same point as Juan, Zander, Diego, Logan, Oscar, Trina, and any other teenager/young adult who's shown up in town without an existing connection (that is, not a SORAS'd kid we've known since infancy). To give the young legacy characters someone new to interact with or fall in love with, and maybe to become a fan favorite with young viewers, which might be good for a small gain in a coveted demographic.  

Sometimes these characters settle in for a good long run, and other times they're gone quickly, even after they're inevitably revealed to be related to characters in town (or characters who used to be in town). Most of the ones listed above turned out to have some tie to a well-known Port Charles person, or else (as in the case of Zander) family members were brought on for them. Trina got both: a beloved former Port Charles stalwart for a father and a newly created mom.

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 2

You know, I think Sam had romanticized the past with Jason in her head, and this is the first time that the mob reality has really come knocking since he came back and they got together again.  All of their issues up to this point were either based on her past (Shiloh) or other things.  Now she's got the real mob moll lifestyle knocking on her door and she's remembering how much she wanted the fuck away from all of that a few years ago.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, ouinason said:

You know, I think Sam had romanticized the past with Jason in her head, and this is the first time that the mob reality has really come knocking since he came back and they got together again.  All of their issues up to this point were either based on her past (Shiloh) or other things.  Now she's got the real mob moll lifestyle knocking on her door and she's remembering how much she wanted the fuck away from all of that a few years ago.

Something that Drew gave her, but that Jason never ever will. Because in Jason's words when he and Sonny connected again, I would never leave you.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ouinason said:

There has never been a couple in the history of the big or small screen that have less chemistry than JaSam. Sometimes it's hard to tell if they even like each other, let alone being each other's soulmates. I've never been a fan of crazy-eyes Britt, but might be interested in seeing she and Jason hook up just for a friggin' change-of-pace.

• Love 5

I just wish the show would get rid of Sam all together. The character is a dead end. Break her up with Jason? She’ll still be sniffing around him. Give her a job? Her “private investigator” crap that has never been interesting and has primarily been a vessel to commit crimes for Sonny. She’ll still be sitting on the couch whining at home. She has no friends besides Carly. She now ruins scenes with Alexis for me. The whole character needs to be tossed into the ocean. 

• Love 13
8 hours ago, bybrandy said:
18 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

"Her recovery will take a long time. If she recovers at all." Laura, talk to Jax. He can give you the name of a good facility.

I thought you were going to say, "he could buy her a brain."

Even Jax has limits on what he can do.

2 hours ago, ouinason said:

Sam has never been Jason's top priority. Ever. And he's been in the mob since they met. Suddenly now she's starting to think there's a problem? It's like when Carly had her fit about all the violence in PC when she came across the gun shipment. Really? This is what broke the camel's back? Not the umpteen killings, kidnappings, shootings, fleeing to the island, etc.? Spare me, lady. You've been connected to this idiot for years. You've actively participated in some of his work.

Drew was a monster, with his insistence on her wearing Skirts of Oppression.

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:
12 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

ust for fun, the original Floating Rib:

Wow Auntie Velvet, thanks so much for posting this! I had been a GH fan for about 3 years at that point, but probably missed this episode while away at College. There was something so elegant and sophisticated about those scenes - classy, educated doctors instead of mobsters.

Right?  That restaurant set got a lot of use.  And Susan Moore!  Speaking of sets, I loved the house that Alan bought for her.  That and the Q guest cottage were both so cute.

Doing a 180, but KeMo needed a better bra the last few days.  Whatever she had on underneath that unflattering white sweater made it look even worse. 

Drew was a monster, with his insistence on her wearing Skirts of Oppression.

I hope she can manage to hide that from Scout as she gets older.  Wouldn't want her to be horrified.  Much better to have a father figure who needs to have her guarded 24/7 and shipped off to secluded islands to keep her safe.

Edited by Cheyanne11
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Sam has never been Jason's top priority. Ever. And he's been in the mob since they met. Suddenly now she's starting to think there's a problem? It's like when Carly had her fit about all the violence in PC when she came across the gun shipment. Really? This is what broke the camel's back? Not the umpteen killings, kidnappings, shootings, fleeing to the island, etc.? Spare me, lady. You've been connected to this idiot for years. You've actively participated in some of his work.

Yes, why are they making it sound like this is Sam's first day on the mob moll job?  Can they get her a "Mob Moll for Dummies" book at Amazon?

• LOL 4
23 minutes ago, ouinason said:

And she didn't have the reality of trying to raise kids in this crap back then either.

Sam has children?

That's the main problem for me: People have to continually remind her she has other responsibilities than to herself and/or Jason, namely, her two children. If she'd finally decided that this most recent attempt on Jason's life, due to his job as a mob hit man, was the straw that broke the camel's back, it would at least make a bit of sense. But instead she's pissed he's keeping sekrits.

As usual, the show puts the emphasis on the wrong syllable. She should be livid that her kids are in danger enough they have to move into Sonny's compound. Which, Jason can't keep his family safe at the penthouse?

• Love 11

Regarding Mac, wasn't he the acting police commissioner for a time? Jordan is the regular one, right? And Robert Scorpio is the District Attorney?

There have been times I've not watched the show over the years, so who the various kids' parents and other relations are keeps me confused. There seem to be more family connections these days than I'm used to with this show.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Hater said:

He (Dev) was brought on because he is buddies with Eden McCoy and she basically got him the job

Just like Peter with LW. So even in real life, the Corinthii get special treatment!

I was laughing my ass off at Franco and Lulu's huge skull bandages with the blinking Christmas lights on them. It must have been hard for RH and DZ to do those bedside scenes without cracking up.

So the Corinthii clan are now aware that Dev was killed by a Cyrus bomb meant for Jason, yet Carly is still loud and proud with the life "I chose and chose for my kids!" ~Mother of the year!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
26 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Regarding Mac, wasn't he the acting police commissioner for a time? Jordan is the regular one, right? And Robert Scorpio is the District Attorney?

I think that Jordan hired Mac to oversee her detectives squad or something like that. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

So the Corinthii clan are now aware that Dev was killed by a Cyrus bomb meant for Jason, yet Carly is still loud and proud with the life "I chose and chose for my kids!" ~Mother of the year!  

That scenes was... yikes. They wanted Carly to play wise mob moll to Sam’s clueless one but made her sound so heartless. It’s true that she doesn’t care about the risks to her children but the show has been trying to pretend like Carly’s a good mother for years so I wonder why they actually had her say that. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
42 minutes ago, DanaK said:

14 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I think that Jordan hired Mac to oversee her detectives squad or something like that. 

Jordan made Mac chief of detectives after she resumed her title as Commissioner. Mac had been acting Commish while she had been recovering.

At this point, Mac should just be appointed as Commissioner again-he’s done a much better job. We know Jordan would have tried to prevent the cops from investigating and would have buried the arson report.

31 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

I was laughing my ass off at Franco and Lulu's huge skull bandages with the blinking Christmas lights on them. It must have been hard for RH and DZ to do those bedside scenes without cracking up.

Oh so was I! He looked like freaking Braniac!😆😆😆

And how is it when Jaysus gets brain surgery, they only slap a band-aid on his temple, but Franco gets swathes of bandages with blinking Christmas lights!😆😆😆😂😂🤣🤣

So did anything interesting happen in the last five minutes? Or was it just more Sam whining about having to go to Puerto Rico?

Sam has ALWAYS known where Jaysus’ priorities lay-its only since she finally birthed spawn, one of which is Jaysus’ that he’s checked out and doesn’t bother to call her or tell her what he’s doing. Now he’s all vague and giving the LAMEST excuses as to why he doesn’t answer the phone or text/call Sam.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Which, Jason can't keep his family safe at the penthouse?

And they only picked up Sam and Scout.  Danny stayed at the Qs, because apparently Cyrus wouldn't be able to figure out he's there or how to blow up the mansion. (the mansion that also holds Jason's mother and Sonny's son and grandson)

1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

Mac is chief of detectives.  Jordan is police commissioner but is currently on "medical leave" so Mac is acting commissioner.  

• LOL 2

Why were Franco & LuLu wearing a turban with Christmas lights on it? Doesn’t FV know they are having budget issues?! Do you know how much those lights must have cost? That was very irresponsible of him as EP.  LOL!!!!

• LOL 1

Sam to Molly:  "Can you imagine if Danny were here tonight?" Yes Sam, being upstairs while you attack your mother is so much worse than Danny hanging around his enforcer father who people are trying to kill regularly.

Why is Lucas the ER doctor doing brain surgery on Franco? Cyrus really is terrible at managing GH.

Sonny: "Going to Puerto Rico sends the wrong message."  Huh? Sending the women and children out of danger says that you won't be pushed around and you're serious about fighting back.

Sonny telling Ava that Jason is going to take Avery to his place and then telling Sam that she and Scout have to go too is typical for the show but it's also interesting in that Sonny gets power because Sonny takes power. There is no legal authority by which he can order people around the way he does. It's authoritarianism at its basic definition.

Ava's lipstick Wednesday was on point. It's not the dark red she wears when she's feeling confident, it's pale like it's the end of the line and she's barely hanging in.

4 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

And they only picked up Sam and Scout.  Danny stayed at the Qs, because apparently Cyrus wouldn't be able to figure out he's there or how to blow up the mansion. (the mansion that also holds Jason's mother and Sonny's son and grandson)

Cyrus knows that Jason doesn't care about any of them. Now if he blew up

Molly: "It's almost like she can hear Valentin in a way that she can't hear us..... Sometimes I just want to scream "Why? Why don't you love me enough to not do this?"This is why only Valentin's intervention that would help Alexis. Sam and Molly were the worst because it was blatantly about them first. Sam

If an intervention is going to work, it has to be because the person at the centre of it, who is hurting, hears that she/he is cared about those she cares about and that it's not all on her,. The absolute last thing she needs is to have the burden of being responsible for other people..

For all that Caroline Hennessy did a good job on the speech, Diane was about herself first, telling Alexis a story about when they were both competing for the same lawyer award (something that will never happen again because Alexis was disbarred) and she ends with "I want my friend back." It's not about Alexis and the pain she's feeling, it's about what Diane wants.

Valentin's speech on the other hand was about Alexis, what she did for him and how he wants her to be okay just the same as she did for him. The card game was perfect because it was saying out in the open how damaged she has been and how hard it is for her, rather than the "suck it up and get better" that was from Sam, Molly and Diane.

• Love 8

I keep forgetting that nuLucas is nuLucas. The casting director said he wanted taller, darker and somewhat handsome and he got him. I don’t see him with Brad so I guess Brad will go back to jail and nuLucas will either hook up with a size appropriate dude or just be another day player when needed. I wonder if his mother Bobbie knows her son grew in to a giant?!

• LOL 1
17 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I keep forgetting that nuLucas is nuLucas. The casting director said he wanted taller, darker and somewhat handsome and he got him. I don’t see him with Brad so I guess Brad will go back to jail and nuLucas will either hook up with a size appropriate dude or just be another day player when needed. I wonder if his mother Bobbie knows her son grew in to a giant?!

Wow, the casting director said that publicly somewhere?

13 hours ago, ulkis said:

Post Thankgiving reminder that JJ and TG are brilliant:

Thanks for posting this ULKIS! Although TG doesn't get a lot of love in the fan forums, the guy was an innovative, brilliant soap actor. JJ often credits TG and GF for their mentorship. It would be nice to have JJ back, particularly with LuLu leaving the canvas, but it probably won't happen.

• Love 3

TG's last few years on the show, when he was clearly through with it (and having medical problems), weren't his best, that's for sure. And he did his own thing a bit too much. But when he connected with the material and his scene partners, he could be amazing.

• Love 7
On 11/26/2020 at 4:13 PM, dubbel zout said:

Today's ep was last year's Christmas episode, i.e., the retelling of A Christmas Carol. I guess things will be so preempted in December that they decided to show it today.

It was bad.  Egregiously bad.  nails on a chalk bad--bad.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, ByaNose said:

3 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Whoa, so nuLucas wasn't just a matter of not being able to get RC and needing a last-minute replacement? Um, OK then. I would ask why this show continually ruins and gets rid of everything I like about it, but it's what they do best sadly.

Also, they can't give me Brad back (with Britt!) and then take him away from me, it's just too cruel.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

No, that was me just thinking that. In my defense I didn’t put it in quotes. LOL!!!! That said, he’s really a whole different look. They didn’t have to go full lookalike but maybe not so tall or different looking would have been nice. LOL!!!, 

3 hours ago, Hater said:

Yea that's ridiculous if true because the new actor is pretty horrible at his actual job- acting.

No the casting director didn’t say that. That was just me interjecting. I still think he’s too different looking.

19 hours ago, ulkis said:

And wow. Crap. JJ,BH,TG, are amazing in this scene:

God these scenes are amazing. I have nothing but bad memories of TG’s last few years on the show, but when Lucky asked him if the mistake was falling in love with Laura or losing her, that intake of breath and look of shock and pain on TG’s face was just perfection. And JJ and Becky have some kind of magic together. I don’t even mean just a romantic chemistry, they just bring out the absolute best emotion in each other. Loved Becky screaming at Luke. So deserved as he still went on his pity party. 

Hilarious though that not dead Jake was somehow sending Lucky those messages in Ireland. Oh show. 

As much as this show needs Lucky, and as much as JJ is the only Lucky to me, the show is awful and he’s moved his family (in real life) to Ireland. So Lucky will likely remain a deadbeat dad. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

No, that was me just thinking that. In my defense I didn’t put it in quotes. LOL!!!! That said, he’s really a whole different look. They didn’t have to go full lookalike but maybe not so tall or different looking would have been nice. LOL!!!, 

Oh okay lol, I was like, that is super unprofessional of the casting director if he said something like that publicly lol!

But given how much, to my eye, this new Lucas looks like Nathan and Griffin, I think it's clear someone at the show has A Type.

• Love 1