Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

(Willow had potential until she was put with Michael.)

She was SO much better before getting shackled to that lump.

10 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

RH and the Cyrus actor seemed to enjoy working off each other, they were making me smile.

Am I the only one who thought Jeff Kober and Sonya Eddy kind of sparked? They showed Cyrus smiling when Pip was singing (which was probably more the actor's RL enjoyment coming through, but still), and their sparring made me sit up a bit and say, "Damn."

• Love 10
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Willow had potential until she was put with Michael.

I'm not so sure about that.  She was one note -- "my baby, my baby, my baby".  And the bit with being Charlotte's teacher so she could be in conflict with maybe-mama Nina. 

I don't know why they're sending her to nurses' school.  They didn't even blame her full-time hospital teacher job-loss on Cyrus.  Weird. 

• Love 3

I've been stuck a day behind everyone else, not seeming to be able to watch two episodes in a sitting to get caught up, but I just wanted to say I hate these scenes with Finn and Jackie. I'm assuming it's going in the direction everyone has seen coming from the start, that he's Chase's father rather than his half brother. I liked those two as brothers. It was one of the best things about Finn. This plays as though someone just realized there's a 25-year age gap between the actors -- when it isn't how they read opposite each other or how they've been playing their scenes from the start (IMO) -- and went with the biggest "shocking soap twist" imaginable.   

And, really, did anyone need or want another layer of complication for Finn? His back story was already overwritten, with all that stuff about the dead wife with the incurable disease, besides the entanglements he's actually played onscreen over four and a half years. Hayden is still out there somewhere, on pause.   

I hope they hit abort on this somewhere along the way, but even if they do, the revelation that Jackie did a story on Finn when he was a first-year resident, and they had sex right before she married his father, is overly convoluted and alienating. Finn's been on the show for four years, Chase for two, Jackie was briefly an important character in the early '80s, and Finn's father has barely walked through. So I don't think any character involved is central or well established enough to get this kind of realignment -- the way, for example, Alexis was when we were asked to roll with her being the mother of Sam.

• Love 3

I'll actually be surprised if they make Finn Chase's father. I didn't get that impression at all from the conversation Finn and Jackie had. They had feelings for each other yes. They slept together the night before she married his father and I don't like that she married his father anyway, but it didn't seem like Chase was born 9 months later. I too like the brother dynamic and hope that's how it stays.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Am I the only one who thought Jeff Kober and Sonya Eddy kind of sparked? They showed Cyrus smiling when Pip was singing

I noticed it too. I also felt like Dante and Maxie had some chemistry going when they were chatting. Maybe he can pick up her pieces after he kills her fiance! 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I expected it and I want Chase to have some angst lol so I'm for it.

I'd be okay for it from the Chase angle, but ugh, I'm all set on scenes of Michael Easton characters screaming at women for lying to him.  I would much rather Dr. Michael Easton and Jackie both knew and conspired to hide it from Chase and Chase Senior, but given what we know at the moment, I think only Jackie would know.

On 10/29/2020 at 3:03 PM, TeeVee329 said:

I'd be okay for it from the Chase angle, but ugh, I'm all set on scenes of Michael Easton characters screaming at women for lying to him.  I would much rather Dr. Michael Easton and Jackie both knew and conspired to hide it from Chase and Chase Senior, but given what we know at the moment, I think only Jackie would know.

I'm pretty sure Finn suspects. It could be neither of them knows for sure. It would be stupid as heck if he didn't.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, YaddaYadda said:

So was that really Helena on the phone or was it someone fucking with Peter.

I'm putting money on Aunt/Mommy Alex messing with her son/nephew.  Helena's dead and I doubt CT wants to come out of retirement during a pandemic to revive Helena.  Even if it's for Frank's favorite Peter.  

44 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I would much rather Dr. Michael Easton and Jackie both knew and conspired to hide it from Chase

This is the actual transcript from that episode:

Jackie thinks he made a choice years ago and they are living with the consequences. Jackie thinks that Chase deserves a family. Finn knows what he did to his father and he is not sure if he can bridge that gap. Chase shows up

That line of Finn knows what he did to his father, I don't think that just means sexing up Jackie the night before the wedding.  I think it's more than that.  They never came right out and said that Chase was born 9 months later, but if he was, I'm thinking both Jackie and Finn would know that there's a very good chance that he's Chase's father and not brother 

• Love 2

Looks like I was wrong about the candy bar being the reason that Franco collapsed.  Looks like were heading back down the brain tumour road.  I guess a candy bar is just a candy bar.  

Who is handing our free baggies of drugs to the local druggies?  Isn't that bad for business?!

• Love 1

I'm far from Peter's biggest fan, but the look he had on his face while Spinelli was going on and on about Dungeons and Dragons was pretty much exactly what my face looks like whenever they trot the Spinelli actor out.

I know Cyrus isn't a popular character, but I find myself liking him. Plus, I actually feel like he has generated some sort of chemistry with just about everyone he has shared a scene with.

Edit to add: I almost forgot about Valentin's interaction with Spinelli. His, "Is that some sort of joke?" when Spinelli called him "Darth Cassadine" was hilarious and I'm glad someone points out how stupid giving everyone a nickname is. I also enjoyed his, "May I call you Damien?" and then not even caring enough to wait for an answer. Glad they are fixing the writing for JPS. He is too talented to be wasted on the drivel they were giving him.

Edited by BlancheDevoreaux
  • Love 13
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Am I the only one who thought Jeff Kober and Sonya Eddy kind of sparked? They showed Cyrus smiling when Pip was singing (which was probably more the actor's RL enjoyment coming through, but still), and their sparring made me sit up a bit and say, "Damn."

I thought I was the only one! Can't lie, wouldn't mind a Cyrus/Pip surprise romance either.

• Love 6

That sure sounded like CT as Helena. Maybe she's agreed to do some voice work.

Glad they are writing Nik to have a brain now, versus when he first came back. Boy they REALLY don't know what to do with Julian, but I do like he and Ava's relationship and the actor, so I hope they figure it out. 

Not into a tumor story. I actually like Friz when things are good and they are happy. 

1 hour ago, perkie1968 said:

This is the actual transcript from that episode:

Jackie thinks he made a choice years ago and they are living with the consequences. Jackie thinks that Chase deserves a family. Finn knows what he did to his father and he is not sure if he can bridge that gap. Chase shows up

That line of Finn knows what he did to his father, I don't think that just means sexing up Jackie the night before the wedding.  I think it's more than that.  They never came right out and said that Chase was born 9 months later, but if he was, I'm thinking both Jackie and Finn would know that there's a very good chance that he's Chase's father and not brother 

I know there's no chance of this because it's not "soapy" enough, but how refreshing would it be if what Dr. Michael Easton was referring to was how he blamed his dad for the estrangement, changed his name, etc. when it was really him loathing himself for sleeping with Jackie that broke up their family.

I just...Dr. Michael Easton slept with his father's fiancée, yet somehow, I think he's going to be painted a victim in this, that Jackie kept his son away from him, blah blah blah.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

That sure sounded like CT as Helena. Maybe she's agreed to do some voice work.

I think it's definitely Constance Towers, but I doubt we'll actually see her as Helena. More's the pity, and I will NEVER accept that she died quietly in her bed with no drama at all.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

That sure sounded like CT as Helena

Oh, I didn't mean that it wasn't CT's voice, because I beleive it was.  I just meant that I don't think it will end up being Helena's voice.  That Alex is either channeling her inner Helena or she's using a tape of Helena's voice.  

58 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

that Jackie kept his son away from him, blah blah blah.

If Chase was born 9 months after the ONS, even if Finn is dumber than a box of rocks, which he has not been shown to be, he would have done the math and realized he had as good a chance as his father.  I think if anything, if Chase turns out to be his son, then Finn full well knew and kept his mouth shut so as not to make waves with his dad.  Chase on the other hand, I could see being super pissed to find out that Finn is dad instead of brother, especially if Finn knew.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

If Chase was born 9 months after the ONS, even if Finn is dumber than a box of rocks, which he has not been shown to be, he would have done the math and realized he had as good a chance as his father.  I think if anything, if Chase turns out to be his son, then Finn full well knew and kept his mouth shut so as not to make waves with his dad.

So to protect his relationship with his dad, he...basically disowned him?  I thought the idea was that Dr. Michael Easton had almost no contact with his dad or Chase after this wedding.

4 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

So to protect his relationship with his dad, he...basically disowned him?  I thought the idea was that Dr. Michael Easton had almost no contact with his dad or Chase after this wedding.

To protect the dad's relationships with Jackie and Chase. I do think he WAS pissed too, but then felt sorry after he slept with Jackie.

• Useful 1
17 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

But would a man who needed an emotional support lizard have that kind of emotional maturity?

Maybe that's why he had to get the lizard lol.

14 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

What happened to Roxie, anyway? Is she still around?

Too expensive!

• LOL 2
6 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

I know Cyrus isn't a popular character, but I find myself liking him. Plus, I actually feel like he has generated some sort of chemistry with just about everyone he has shared a scene with.

Edit to add: I almost forgot about Valentin's interaction with Spinelli. His, "Is that some sort of joke?" when Spinelli called him "Darth Cassadine" was hilarious and I'm glad someone points out how stupid giving everyone a nickname is. I also enjoyed his, "May I call you Damien?" and then not even caring enough to wait for an answer. Glad they are fixing the writing for JPS. He is too talented to be wasted on the drivel they were giving him.

I agree with all this.  At first I couldn't stand Cyrus, however as his character tries to integrate into society he manages to have chemistry with everyone.  I'm glad he doesn't walk around town trading threats with Sonny 🥱.  And I miss GF and her scenes with Cyrus.  Heck I just miss Laura.

Add me to those who are happy they're letting JPS interact with more of the cast.  I love his "sardonic" wit.  I'm sure Constance Towers is playing it safe which is probably why she was just a voice over the phone, but that was her voice.  Now if we can just have a sl with Valentine interacting with "ma mere"!  Talk about your campy fun. 

• Love 7

I'm liking a lot of the stories right now.  I just think there are waaay too many people on canvas.  Or maybe it's just that the reprehensible trifecta take up so much screen time.  But here is what I'm like right now:

I like Chase developing a friendship with Brook Lynn.  I only wish the previous actress was available to play these scenes.  They had alot of chemistry (she actually had chemistry with everyone).  Funny, someone upthread said the current Brook Lynn reminds one of Lynn Herring and I totally see that too and I think she also has some chem with Chase.  Anyway I liked Chase with Willow but I'm ready to see him paired with someone else, especially since the writers are breaking their necks trying to make Millow "a thing".

I'm not tired yet of the Nina and her baby storyline, but I'm getting there.  I always liked her character, especially when played by MS but CW is making the character her own.  I'd like to see Nelle actually be alive and in witness protection, come out, figure out she and Nina are mother and daughter, and try to figure out things from there.

I really wanted Cam and Trina to hook up.  Since the writers once again are going the antichem route, I'd like to see Dev's evil side come out.  Not Diego evil.  More like, wow I'm thinking back and I can't remember the last time they had a teen male play villian-lite, but it would be a nice twist.

I'm happy to see Dominic back.  I don't think anyone believes LooLoo won't get back with Dante.

I'd like to see Anna back with Robert.  Yea, I said it!  lol

I like mean drunk Alexis.

I'd like Julexis back,

I like Ava and Nikolas, Ava has chem with everyone and Nik is hot so...

And I'd seriously like to see a Cyrus/Pip thing..but the way he was checking out Sasha today, I don't know...

Edited by Jenxee
  • Love 6

Just a quick post on sl's that I would like to see end a.s.a.p.

Anna and Finn - great friends but no chem

Millow

Anything Corinthos...just backburn them for a year, please!!!

Anything Jason related...unless they permanently break up Jasam (bring back Billy Miller please!!!)

Carly

Liz's hair (ok not a storyline but why haven't they done something to her hair?  She's gorgeous, give her a short bob and let the fabulousness out!)

Joss & Cam 😢

Spinelli (go find your wife)

Robert Scorpio and Olivia, just NO!!

That's it for now.  Sorry so many posts, but the last couple of days I've really liked GH.  Maybe because the beleaguered Mike/"all timers" sl is finally done (Max did a great job but that sl ate the show).

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I thought the idea was that Dr. Michael Easton had almost no contact with his dad or Chase after this wedding.

If he felt guilty over the ONS than I can see him wanting to stay away.  The original rumour out there was that Jackie and Finn were a thing and she left him for Dad, but it sounds like they weren't and it was just one night.  Plus if Chase came along 9 months later and he thought he could have fathered the child, there's more guilt that he's messing up a good thing for Dad so he backs off.  Either way the story makes no sense as it was originally, or as this somewhat retcon.  I mean, would an early twenties med student suddenly change his last name to his mother's because his father remarried shortly after her death?  Just seems a bit extreme.  

Cyrus needs to be doing some evil-- he's basically just Eddie Haskell at this point, being super smarmily nice to everyone.

Sasha was actually right to ask why he wanted to get to know her, his only contact with her was finding her in an alley and bringing her 'home' to her hotel room while she was obviously in a bad way. His response was "I like spending time with you" which-- no-- that doesn't track at all.

Also, I may be old-- but I have no idea what Joss or Trina were supposed to be (was Joss a Cheerio? from Glee? or is the red/black uniform from Bring it On? and Trina? was that some kind of Star Wars thing?)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sacrebleu said:

Cyrus needs to be doing some evil-- he's basically just Eddie Haskell at this point, being super smarmily nice to everyone.

Agree so much. I enjoy the way he ruffles Carly's feathers, but going around town making vaguely sinister threats for months does not a character make, Show. Let's have something actually happen for a change. I don't care what it is: break the stupid truce, shut down GH, buy the ugliest house in town, SOMETHING.

1 hour ago, sacrebleu said:

Also, I may be old-- but I have no idea what Joss or Trina were supposed to be (was Joss a Cheerio? from Glee? or is the red/black uniform from Bring it On? and Trina? was that some kind of Star Wars thing?)

Trina was Rey from Star Wars, and Joss was some sort of cheerleader. When I first saw her, I thought, When did she join that squad? And then I realized it was a Halloween costume. D'oh! Heh.

And speaking of Star Wars, could it have been any more obvious that Darth Vader was Taggert? I'd have appreciated it more if that was Valentin so he could stick to Spinelli. Talk about passive-aggressive—how Maxie hasn't punched him in the nuts yet is beyond me.

• Love 3

I meant to state this earlier, but real life happened in the WORST way and it slipped my mind.

Regarding Kim Delaney's portrayal of Jackie. She's too...soft. That is, Jackie Templeton had some snark/toughness/edge to her when Demi portrayed her. I know Kim can bring the toughness, because I've seen her do it.

• Useful 1

Spinelli's middle name was always 'Passive-agressive'. Yay continuity?

7 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

I mean, would an early twenties med student suddenly change his last name to his mother's because his father remarried shortly after her death?  Just seems a bit extreme.  

That's a good point. Finn would have his college diploma in his name. If he was a first year resident then his medical diploma would be in his original name too. It seems like a ridiculous amount of paperwork to go through just because he feels guilty for feelings for his father's new wife. Not to mention, all his friends would know him under his old name.

• Love 2

Eh, people change their name for all sorts of reasons. This isn't really that much different from a woman taking her husband's name. Everyone pre-marriage knows her by her maiden name. Finn didn't want the connection to his father. It's not like he was trying scam people by using another name.

Of all the idiocies in this story, this is one of the mildest, IMO.

• Love 2

I hope some twin switcheroo comes out of Anna's two identical costumes, because it's bizarre she laid out money for both a black and white version just to hand out candy.

I'm still choking over what was spent on Violet's birthday party.  

• Love 1

Alex saying "Sweeties?" was what I come for.  It's cheesy but I loved the white/black costumes.

The minute I knew that it was Spinelli and Sam behind the phone call, I flipped to #TeamPeter.

I really enjoyed seeing stories of a variety of characters. I don't like them all (Peter, Sonny) but it was nice to have a couple that I am interested in. Ava/Nik./Julian/Ryan is good crafting.

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Everyone pre-marriage knows her by her maiden name. .

In Quebec it's illegal to change it from your maiden name. I like that.

5 minutes ago, teenj12 said:

Okay, wait, does Anna actually know that Alex has the marker for that disease, tho?

No. She's just assuming that since neither she nor Faison have it, it comes from Alex, conveniently forgetting that if it can spontaneously occur in a young Alex, it can equally spontaneously occur in a fortysomething Henrik.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

"I put myself through hell!" Before you knew for sure if Peter was your son, so I can't have much sympathy for you, Anna. Ugh, her angst over this was so OTT. And somewhere along the line she decided she didn't care if Peter were her son, so ostensibly things won't change in how she treats him. Ugh, and now we're going to have months of more whingeing and whining.

Of course Ava overplays her hand. Maybe make sure you have what you came for before dropping the mic, huh? And really, expecting Ryan to play fair is ridiculous. If she's learned anything, it should be that.

9 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

The minute I knew that it was Spinelli and Sam behind the phone call, I flipped to #TeamPeter.

Same. I don't think that's what the writers intended, LOL.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Damn, the show went way hard with Ryan's verbal attack on Ava, and it was a great touch for a Halloween episode. A true monster in all his deranged glory. Disappointed that Ava didn't anticipate Ryan faking her out (she should be better at this by now), but really like how Nikolas has been looped into the scheme. Ava, Nik, and Julian are a good trio.

Congrats to those who correctly guessed that Anna's two witch costumes would come into play with Alex. Since I don't care about Peter, I'm not super interested in Alex showing up; as far as I'm concerned, Anna should wash her hands of both of them and not look back. Still, though, the good witch/bad witch twin switch (try saying that five times fast) was fun for Halloween.

I love that the show remembered Kate's house is still empty next to Sonny's, as that's the house Jax threatened to buy when he came back to town. Yay for Taggert sticking around a little longer and good luck to him surviving as a neighbor of casa Corinthos.

Stopped enjoying the Helena cameo the moment I saw Sam was behind it. Helena should rise from the ashes right now in indignation of this dour pipsqueak's imitation of her. Sam spoils everything fun, man.

• Love 9
On 10/26/2020 at 8:30 PM, statsgirl said:

Wasn't Peter the reason Faison was in Port Charles? He's not directly responsible for Nathan getting shot

Dr. O and Peter both knew how evil and dangerous Faison was. Dr. O enabled and protected Faison for decades, so aside from Faison himself who did the actual shooting, she is the most responsible for Nathan's death. Peter wanted to taunt and lure Faison out of hiding, so yeah he's not innocent in this. 

As for today, what an utterly disappointing Halloween episode.  What a waste of a Darth Vader helmet, Show! 

Here's a thought Maxie, if you're so excited to see Georgie and James being adorable in their costumes and trick-or-treating, stop calling and texting your mother from the restaurant and go take your kids trick-or-treating yourself.  Good to know sitting across a table from your fiance all night is more important than witnessing your kids have this experience together.  Next year in theory you won't be able to because you'll have an infant. 

I guess @GHScorpiosRule will be overjoyed at Anna's news - but it's bullshit that the news totally feels like the bottom dropping out of her life. I mean it's not like she and Robert have had conversations about this .... oh wait. I totally thought Alex was going to attack Peter from the back seat of his car, not Anna who knows how to react but instead just stares wide-eyed and lets herself get attacked for plot point purposes. I'm pretty sure that basement set is from Elizabeth's house that got blown up because I recall Sam lying in that same spot in front of the heater for days after she tripped and fell down the stairs running after Jake. 

I thought Spinelli was going searching for proof to bring to Maxie that Peter was lying about the server problem. Yeah, sure Spinelli who never met Helena has voice clips/files (?) of her. Spinelli and Sam gloating at their brilliance makes me roll my eyes. That was a lot of exposition talk, Show. Geez.

Am I supposed to feel sorry for Franco? I don't.  That scene with Terry was basically a recycled script from when Robin thought she was going to die of AIDS and insisted that Patrick and Emma should not know.  And I hate that the Show made Elizabeth stupid/naive in that moment - she knows her friend is an oncologist!!!  So how long is he going to keep this secret from his wife.

I will say Ryan being dragged away from Ava screaming was well done. But the stuff with Sonny, Jason, Taggert, Julian just made me roll my eyes. Am I really supposed to believe that Julian can't figure out who Taggert is, after seeing the pic on Trina's phone, the fact that Trina interns for/is close to Ava, that Taggert's "death" (with a pic, I'm sure) was newsworthy in Port Charles and that Trina was recently in Julian's bar yelling at Cyrus for accusing her father of being a bad guy? Seriously??

No Carly or Joss, so .... there's that. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Trina was Rey from Star Wars

She was? I thought she was Leila from Empire Strikes Back!

32 minutes ago, teenj12 said:

does Anna actually know that Alex has the marker for that disease, tho?

No. She figures if Faison doesn’t have it, then Alex has to be Peter’s mother. If he DOES have it, then it’s still a crapshoot and she has no interest in finding out.

4 minutes ago, Bringonthedrama said:

I guess @GHScorpiosRule will be overjoyed at Anna's news - but it's bullshit that the news totally feels like the bottom dropping out of her life. I mean it's not like she and Robert have had conversations about this .... oh wait. I totally thought Alex was going to attack Peter from the back seat of his car, not Anna who knows how to react but instead just stares wide-eyed and lets herself get attacked for plot point purposes.

What? What? Tell meeeee now! Proof that Heinrik is Alex's spawn????? I NEED some good news! Even from this FAKAKTA show!

19 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

What? What? Tell meeeee now! Proof that Heinrik is Alex's spawn????? I NEED some good news! Even from this FAKAKTA show!

😁🤣😂 You're too funny!! The story GH is going with at this moment is that Anna and Valentin are satisfied the test results prove that Alex - not Anna - gave birth to Heinrik.  Anna decides she has to tell "Peter" immediately but not over the phone, so he can be prepared for Alex coming at him/trying to wreak havoc/whatever.  She no sooner gets off the phone with Valentin (he's gone to pursue Alex) and gets the lights back on in her home when Alex appears in the black witch costume, charging from the foyer straight at her. 

The audience assumes that Anna is unconscious, not dead, because she does not appear to be bleeding/wounded aside from head injury.

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 2