Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

...I guess? The show makes noises about Valentin being a good businessman. But it played more like any financial difficulties just disappeared after Val took over because they no longer served the plot. Dumb.

Exactly! They didn’t discuss Valentin bringing the company back from the brink or saving the empire. The money woes just disappeared! I thought it was going to be funny to see how Valentin dealt with having no money after he killed someone to obtain it, but that was not the story. They just acted like the Cassadines were as rich as they had always been and dropped the financial problems plot. 

• Love 2

It felt like Friz had a weird arc today. First she was acting like she was unhappy with him about something (we weren't supposed to guess what yet), then when he came to get her they were practically giddy in the elevator -- but then she looked queasy about the whole thing again when they went to check in with Scotty.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

It felt like Friz had a weird arc today. First she was acting like she was unhappy with him about something (we weren't supposed to guess what yet), then when he came to get her they were practically giddy in the elevator -- but then she looked queasy about the whole thing again when they went to check in with Scotty.

I was just about to comment on that. Like, what did I watch yesterday? For most of the show, Elizabeth was pretty pissed and wasn't willing to go along with Franco or talk about what he/they had done. Yet, at the end, she's all rah!rah! Let's go! Certainly gave me whiplash.

Now. Unless Cyrus has fired EVERY SINGLE DOCTOR, NURSE, ORDERLY, SUPPORT STAFF at the hospital and hired his own minions, and leaving Portia, Elizabeth, Epiphany, Lucas (WHO?), my eyes just rolled SO HARD they almost fell out the back of my head when Elizabeth suggested to SLS that he should check out Mercy or other options for Wiley's surgery. Because, oh well, "The heart and soul" (GAG ME) of the hospital Epiphany is now in administration! Who, oh WHOOOO will operate on puir Wiley????? 

Basically it's SLS can't throw his weight around as a wannabe/only chooses to be Quartermaine any more. Because Grandmamas aren't there anymore. Oh Cry me a Frackin' River.

When did SheBeast become such a bad liar? I find it laughable this show expects me to believe she feels any remorse/guilt over Nelle, considering before she even left her on the roof to freeze to death, this harpy was talking about taking her out.

Not surprised Scotty would blackmail someone. This isn't his first time at this particular rodeo. Although the last time I remember him doing it, he was still bitter over Luke and Laura and was seen as an asshole. But that was many moons ago. But still.

That said, it's all so incredibly STOOPID.

Really, Ned? Someone as savvy as him wouldn't check all of his phone settings to see if he missed a call from Olivia or a message? But of course: PLOT!

Yes, everyone must genuflect to the Mooby and let him know how VERYVERYVERYSORRY they are for HIS loss.

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I miss Carlivati--at least with him, Mooby was shown to be the loser criminal he was. And that's saying something considering how he treated Robin. There was some balance with him.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Really, Ned? Someone as savvy as him wouldn't check all of his phone settings to see if he missed a call from Olivia or a message? But of course: PLOT!

Brooklyn deleted the message and notification for the call. He’d have to pull his phone records to catch a missing call. 

• Love 1

I mean, if all the most influential families in town, those who have produced, sponsored and advocated for the GENERAL HOSPITAL nurses ball, and had family on staff, and were a public face of trust in the facility all PUBLICLY decided to move their financial, public and volunteering support to Mercy instead.... I think that would have an impact on the bottom line for the hospital.  Cyrus can't stay in charge if the biggest donors and backers of the hospital pull out and they start losing money over it.  Unless he just buys the whole thing out of spite and runs it at a loss.  So... Elizabeth has a point.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Any chance that Liz and Franco weren't involved in the blackmail plan and it's Scott trying  to help them out of a financial jam? And why does Nik need time to get the money? $175,000 should be pocket change to a Cassidine

Nelle didn't have a lawyer at the time of her death so there's no one for Col. Tad to pass the letter on to. I suppose he could put it away and give it to Wylie when he grows up but that doesn't seem like Col. Tad to me.

Nelle's "dead", there's no reason to keep dumping on Julian, show.

Ok, I miss a lot.  Did Scott somehow become poor? Did Serena cut him off or refuse to give money to her insta-brother (which I wouldn't blame her for)? I am sure Serena and her money won't become relevant unless returns to Port Charles and Valentin decides to prey on her. 

Scott has spent the entirety of the last 30 years scheming for cash, except when he was hiding out in BFE to protect Serena from other people trying to scheme for her cash.  I don't think Scott would want to ask his daughter for money, he'd rather scam, blackmail and steal from others.  That's just who he is really.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ouinason said:

I mean, if all the most influential families in town, those who have produced, sponsored and advocated for the GENERAL HOSPITAL nurses ball, and had family on staff, and were a public face of trust in the facility all PUBLICLY decided to move their financial, public and volunteering support to Mercy instead.... I think that would have an impact on the bottom line for the hospital.  Cyrus can't stay in charge if the biggest donors and backers of the hospital pull out and they start losing money over it.  Unless he just buys the whole thing out of spite and runs it at a loss.  So... Elizabeth has a point.

I still don't see her point. Cyrus has not fired the entire staff of the hospital. Everyone is in OUTRAGE/PROTEST mode because Monica and Bobbie were fired--deservedly so, and Epiphany was demoted to administration. Does that mean all the other doctors and nurses still there, are incompetent to do their jobs? Monica wasn't the one who performed the surgery on Wiley. What, now that she's no longer Chief of Staff, they can't get the same surgeon to do the follow up surgery?

But like I said; plot.

8 minutes ago, ouinason said:

Scott has spent the entirety of the last 30 years scheming for cash, except when he was hiding out in BFE to protect Serena from other people trying to scheme for her cash.  I don't think Scott would want to ask his daughter for money, he'd rather scam, blackmail and steal from others.  That's just who he is really.

I think Scotty is doing this for his son, who probably went whining to him about being broke.

2 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Ok, I miss a lot.  Did Scott somehow become poor? Did Serena cut him off or refuse to give money to her insta-brother (which I wouldn't blame her for)? I am sure Serena and her money won't become relevant unless returns to Port Charles and Valentin decides to prey on her. 

We did hear a few years ago that Scotty (and Lucy) both lost a big chunk of money investing with Rebecca Budig's presumed financier father, though it was mentioned that was Serena's money was safe.

And yes, for my own mental health, I have to imagine Serena has zero interest in Franco, that when Scotty mentions him, all she hears is that sound the adults make in "Peanuts" cartoons.  I mean, Serena's already busy bailing her wild child sister Christina out of messes! #showinmyhead

• Love 3

Ugh, shut up, Neal's brother. Neal was an adult responsible for his own decisions. Of course Alexis has to get dumped on. I suppose Valentin afterward will stop her from downing a bottle of vodka because she's so weak. SMH.

And of course Olivia has to wear the hair shirt with her idiotic "It's all my fault we didn't get to Holly in time." Can the women stop being doormats and dumping grounds for everything that goes wrong? It's boring, unnecessary, and dumb.

And Elizabeth, Franco, and Scott are hardly criminal masterminds. This story is embarrassing.

• Love 6

Did it really take Nurse Liz to explain to Scotty the freakin' LAWYER that what he's doing to Nikolas and Ava is extortion? See, Scotty, this is why you're always the last lawyer in town called. Even if Liz and Franco don't take the money, it's still massively irresponsible for Scotty to participate in this scheme. Plus, the ping-ponging dynamic between Liz and Franco where they're fine one minute and unsteady the next, often in the same episode, is really obnoxious and hard to follow. Maybe they should be talking to each other to fix what's bothering them instead of hiring photographers and framing their "friends" for infidelity.

Oh no, Cam still has a spark for Joss. At least the back-and-forth nature between Joss/Cam/Trina is entirely age-appropriate and understandable, though I really, really hope Cam and Trina is our final destination.

Alright, show, you've dumped a deluge of shit on Alexis from every conceivable angle, can we ease up now? No other character on this show is so disproportionately burdened in the way Alexis is currently. She needs a hug and a better support system (Valentin, kind as he was to Alexis, should obviously not have taken her someplace where alcohol is served). The constant misery treadmill she's running on is just draining, and if the show's going to insist on depleting her like this, it would be nice to see other characters step up to help her find her way (Finn, Jax, and hell, even Nikolas, I'm looking at y'all).

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

And of course Olivia has to wear the hair shirt with her idiotic "It's all my fault we didn't get to Holly in time." Can the women stop being doormats and dumping grounds for everything that goes wrong? It's boring, unnecessary, and dumb.

In this case? Yeah, I'm going for it is Olivia's fault for inserting her ass in something she has no experience in.

I did enjoy Ethan and Robert's conversations but I can't sit there and smile while they talk about Holly running cons and lying about Ethan's paternity as though it's sweetly adorable.  The reason I adore Anna as much as I do is that she's a flawed heroine who has a dark past but who is doing everything in her power to make amends for it.  She has been on the right side of the law for about the past thirty plus years and I don't think it's charming that Holly is still pulling illegal crap.

I can't with Brooklyn's angst over telling people she can't sing anymore.  Yes it's sad but it's not as if her entire life hangs in the balance if she can't belt out a tune.

Valentin had better of punched Ned back and since when is Brooklyn a vulnerable waif who can't fend for herself?

• Love 4

If Olivia hadn't gone with Robert to Geneva, he wouldn't have gone to Holly's memorial and he would have been in Port Charles when he got Holly's phone call. He would have been even later to get to Monte Carlo than he was.

Neil's brother is so bad, if I were Neil I'd be wanting to get away from him. It's not Alexis' fault Neil couldn't have a relationship with her, it's the rules of the AMA. Or the APA since the memorial notice said that he was a psychologist.  I can only conclude that the writers don't know the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist and don't care.

Dev likes Joss. And Cameron likes Joss.  Poor Trina, she's the real prize.   They're really playing that Carly Jr. has feelings for Cameron. And since she's Carly Jr., she'll probably win. Ugh.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I did enjoy Ethan and Robert's conversations but I can't sit there and smile while they talk about Holly running cons and lying about Ethan's paternity as though it's sweetly adorable. 

Holly continuing to run cons is a retcon of the worst order that Guzasshole put in place during the Monkey Virus story/Robert's return in 2006. After, no, even before she and Robert married, Holly had reformed her con game days.

35 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

If Olivia hadn't gone with Robert to Geneva, he wouldn't have gone to Holly's memorial and he would have been in Port Charles when he got Holly's phone call. He would have been even later to get to Monte Carlo than he was.

I didn't have a problem with Olivia going to Geneva--she was going to see Dante. Or even going with Robert to Holly's memorial; it was her insistence and acting like she knew what to do and how to help Robert, to find Holly in Monte Carlo. Her ass should have been put on the plane before Robert left to find Holly. Her braying laughter and the way she acted did not help.

13 minutes ago, Benji said:

Why do they keep saying Nelle's body was found on the PA side of the river ? Why does that matter ?

To "explain" why her body couldn't be found on the shores of Port Charles? It floated and drifted away to Pennsylvania.

2 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Probably so the PCPD doesn't have to do anything, though that contradicts why Nelle's body is supposedly in the GH morgue. 

In other words, plot point so when Nelle returns, it will be Pennsylvania's fault.

Yeah, PA cops probably sent her body back to Port Charles so they wouldn't have to deal with the paperwork. Not like she was someone famous and investigating her death was high profile; in which case they could fight for jurisdiction.

• Love 3

While I've really enjoyed the Val/Alexis's scenes and his defense of her against Neil's brother and him wanting to be a shoulder for her, see, show, this is a time when you should be sending Sam in. Sam has been yelling at a lot of people for no real reason but Neil's brother could have used some yelling at. Neil was a grown ass man who made his own choices. His daughter died because of drugs, so you'd think he might have thought twice about taking them, but he didn't. His choices are his choices. And enough of dumping on Alexis. The writing does everything they can to send Alexis off the sobriety wagon. 

Speaking of drugs, was Sasha supposed to be high or manic? Also, when is she going to die. And I'll be alright if she and Chase never share another scene. 

• Love 8

I am waiting for some explanation as to why Neil was shooting up in Alexis' bed given that we had zero indication ever that he was doing drugs. The gotcha makes no sense. Maybe Jordan was right to tie it to the two dead members  of her team.

31 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

My brain is farting excessively because- how exactly do Sasha and Chase know that Michael and Willow kissed???

Chase was going to Reveal All to Willow that it was just a ruse when he saw her kissing Michael in the park as they neurotically watched Wylie and his nanny.

Sasha is very defeatist about a potential future relationship with Michael. She could use Kevin's professional help.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Linny said:

Did it really take Nurse Liz to explain to Scotty the freakin' LAWYER that what he's doing to Nikolas and Ava is extortion?

But also newsflash Liz, it was extortion whether Scott was trying to get $25000 or $250000

Edited by nilyank
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Dev likes Joss. And Cameron likes Joss.  Poor Trina, she's the real prize.   They're really playing that Carly Jr. has feelings for Cameron. And since she's Carly Jr., she'll probably win. Ugh.

Dev pulled away from first Trina and then Joss when they kissed him, so who knows if actually likes Joss. Trina first told Cam how Dev was cute and cool she thought Dev was, and she kissed Dev first, it makes me question her judgement.  I think Joss may "win" Cam due to their history and also because there's more drama to be gained if Liz's son is dating Carly and Jax's daughter. Liz is friendly/colleagues with Portia (and Liz and Taggert respected each other), so no drama there. 

4 hours ago, Linny said:

Did it really take Nurse Liz to explain to Scotty the freakin' LAWYER that what he's doing to Nikolas and Ava is extortion?

As if Scotty wasn't scheming and blackmailing and extorting before Liz was an ill-advised second bottle of wine between Jeff and No Name. GIRL, PLEASE.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Chase keeps saying that Nelle was positively identified.  By whom?  Usually it's the next of kin, but Julian or even Martin, would have been the one called.  And it wasn't them.  Clearly whoever did the ID will turn out to be a lying liar and she's not really dead.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Sasha is very defeatist about a potential future relationship with Michael. She could use Kevin's professional help.

Sasha should be relieved to have escaped with her life. (So far!) Strooker Abby, Sobby Sabs, Keeks, Nutjob Nelle...it's less dangerous to be an Alaskan crab fisherman than to be Michael's girlfriend.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • LOL 12
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Chase keeps saying that Nelle was positively identified.  By whom?  Usually it's the next of kin, but Julian or even Martin, would have been the one called.  And it wasn't them.  Clearly whoever did the ID will turn out to be a lying liar and she's not really dead.  

And how many times and to how many people did he say he was going to see her and wrap it up? And yet, we didn’t see him go to the morgue or identify her. Last time we see him he’s at the bar where Ned has gotten drunk and where Valentin and Alexis are.

Suuuuuure Nelle is dead.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, nilyank said:

As for the blackmail scheme, I firmly believe that Franco would happily engineer this whole blackmail scheme in order to get some free money and teach Nik and Ava a lesson, I don't think Liz is.

Absolutely; having someone stalk/spy with a camera to benefit him is exactly Franco's style. I'm sure he would brag about it.

11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Not surprised Scotty would blackmail someone. This isn't his first time at this particular rodeo. Although the last time I remember him doing it, he was still bitter over Luke and Laura and was seen as an asshole. But that was many moons ago. But still

The last time I remember him attempting blackmail was to get Laura to leave town with him.  He said he'd always been in love with Laura (really, I don't recall that when Dominique died in his arms!) and if she left Shadybrook and Port Charles with him to start a new life, he wouldn't pursue Lulu for "murdering" Logan.

5 hours ago, Linny said:

Oh no, Cam still has a spark for Joss. At least the back-and-forth nature between Joss/Cam/Trina is entirely age-appropriate and understandable, though I really, really hope Cam and Trina is our final destination.

Yes. Of course./Sarcasm.    Franco and Scotty bonding over blackmailing Nikolas and Ava is embarrassing. 

Cam has had feelings for Joss for however many years and they kissed when she and Oscar were broken up, so I would not expect that a night of trauma, some close moments and then a kiss while Cam and Trina talked about their trauma would totally erase his years-long attraction to Joss. I am skeptical about Cam and Trina being a real couple because Cam and Joss are both part of legacy families, and their moms have the Jason history involving lots of drama. I imagine Carly not reacting well to the idea of her daughter falling in love with Elizabeth's son. The only time I could see her being okay with "Elizabeth's kid dating my kid" would be Jake because he's Jason's. I think she would be onboard with Jake dating Avery (she thinks of Avery as hers) and Danny dating Donna one day.

I hereby speculate that Cam and Trina individually decide during the dance to confess to the other they're interested in dating each other ... but then Cam and Joss will have a cute, sparkly moment together while dancing and Joss will kiss him (which Trina will witness).

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Hell maybe they dug up Frank Benson who lied when he identified the body as another scheme set up by Nelle. Or whoever was Nelle's mother who could have been Nina's nurse during her coma.

• Useful 1

My stream of  consciousness while watching  today's show:

- Gee, I didn't quite get it: Where was Nelle's body found? 

- Joss saying she's glad "we all put that behind us" re Cam and Trina's kiss like it's ANY OF HER BUSINESS.  She truly is Carly Jr.

- Why am I totally not surprised that Neil's brother unleashed the hounds of hell on Alexis?  She's become the town's punching bag.  I'm waiting for Sonny to somehow decide she's responsible for Mike's death or Molly to screech it's all her mother's fault she cheated on TJ.

- Sasha is so unpleasant and stupid.  Even if Willow and Michael didn't ~forgive them, they are owed the real story about what Chase and her did.  I don't get her pathological insistence that they can never know.

- Elizabeth freaking out over a $250K extortion amount and not a $50K one reminds me of that old joke: Guy meets a woman in a bar and says "will you have sex with me for $1,000,000?"  The woman thinks about it and says yes.  Then he says "Will you have sex with me for a dollar?"  The woman screams "What kind of woman do you think I am?" to which the man responds "We've already established that--now we're just negotiating price."

• LOL 9
8 minutes ago, ouinason said:

Maybe Liz thinks 50k is a reasonable inconvenience fee from these assholes.  

She thought it was only $25k because when Scottie said $125k, Franco thought that was in total not each for Ava and Nik.

So how much stuff has Sasha been consuming? She first took a sample during that Deception photo shoot which was days before the Nurses Ball and it couldn't be more than a couple of weeks.

Has the show acknowledged that they sort of time jump the calendar to match real time. Before the shutdown we were heading into Mar/Apr. The teens were juniors in high school. Now they are seniors going to homecoming.

• LOL 2
51 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

Oh, and every time they say ‘the Pennsylvania side of the river’ - take a shot!

What river??   Isn’t Port Charles supposed to be like up near Rochester?

She fell in the area outside Sonny's cabin. Which is apparently both a convenient distance from Port Charles, which is close to Canada (sometimes), and yet on the border of PA.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
4 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Dev pulled away from first Trina and then Joss when they kissed him, so who knows if actually likes Joss.

Dev went to Brando in a fake father/son moment and asked him how to win Joss' heart because he likes her and regrets pushing her away. I remember it as Trina only kissed him to make Joss jealous.

But I'm with Cameron, he seems ace to me.

3 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Elizabeth freaking out over a $250K extortion amount and not a $50K one reminds me of that old joke: Guy meets a woman in a bar and says "will you have sex with me for $1,000,000?"  The woman thinks about it and says yes.  Then he says "Will you have sex with me for a dollar?"  The woman screams "What kind of woman do you think I am?" to which the man responds "We've already established that--now we're just negotiating price."

I learned the joke as about George Bernard Shaw. But looking it up, it was originally attributed to Lord Beaverbrook.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/03/07/haggling/

9 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

She fell in the area outside Sonny's cabin. Which is apparently both a convenient distance from Port Charles, which is close to Canada (sometimes), and yet on the border of PA.

Theoretically it is possible. Spoke with a relative yesterday who lives in PA and she noted that it touches six different states, and in a weird way Canada too. So I looked it up in the World Atlas:  The state of Pennsylvania is bordered by six states: West Virginia, Delaware, Ohio, New York, New Jersey, and Maryland. Pennsylvania is also bordered by Lake Erie and the Canadian province of Ontario.

Kinda strange when the GH writers actually get something mostly right, eh?

5 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Port Charles is near Buffalo, because everyone has a 716 area code (Rochester is 585.) Most likely Nelle washed up in the Alleghany.

Interesting! Strange thing is, if Nelle is really dead, I actually feel a bit sad for the character. She reminds me of one of those people that in real life never really had a chance. 😞

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Interesting! Strange thing is, if Nelle is really dead, I actually feel a bit sad for the character. She reminds me of one of those people that in real life never really had a chance. 😞

I disagree that she never really had a chance. She was engaged to a very wealthy guy whom she killed. She had several tickets out of the life she had, but squandered them every time. At the end of the day, Nelle was her own worst enemy. I think what sucks is that they decided to saddle her character with Michael, then gave him (not her, she was just the spawn incubator) a baby to add to the baby hoarders collection.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I disagree that she never really had a chance. She was engaged to a very wealthy guy whom she killed. She had several tickets out of the life she had, but squandered them every time. At the end of the day, Nelle was her own worst enemy. I think what sucks is that they decided to saddle her character with Michael, then gave him (not her, she was just the spawn incubator) a baby to add to the baby hoarders collection.

I hear you. What I meant was, and probably could have articulated better, is that Nelle was one of those people, from "the wrong side of the tracks," that was so desperate to change her fortune that she constantly undermined herself, as you noted. I see that kind of behavior from RL people every day and it saddens me.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

This story about Liz and Franco suddenly being so desperate for money that they’d blackmail Ava and Nick is so contrived and fake that it insults us. Please drop this and get jobs.

Yes, Liz could easily pick up shifts at Mercy. RNs are usually in high demand. She recommended that Michael take Wiley there so she must think it a reputable hospital.  I am not sure what Franco is qualified to do but he only seems to want to do things that are art related.  If he is that interested in helping out his family, he can get out and work in a factory or on the docks. They have people always meeting up out on the docks anyway, so put the set to use and let Franco throw around some of those crates and sacks that are sitting around. 

• Love 2