Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

I had forgotten all about Grayson McCouch being a recast. I liked him on AW & ATWT. Unfortunately, he tends to shout his lines and act angry in all his scenes. He was like that on ATWT, too. He didn’t really have chemistry with FH. He always reminded me of MB but was louder. I don’t think he was a good recast and I think they brought the original actor back to finish the storyline out. He’s a good looking  guy with the shaved head and pecs to boot. He’s only 51. I thought he was older.  It looks like hasn’t done anything since GH that I can recall. Sometimes a recast works and other times it doesn’t.

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

All I know is they BETTER show a SEXAY, GRIZZLY Robert!Fucking!Scorpio! walk across the stage to cold cock Valentin!

That was 2018

2 hours ago, rur said:

If I'm not mistaken, when he was talking to DeadMom, the scar on his face was on the right side of my screen. Then when Nik came home, the scar had switched sides. Did anyone else see that?

The scar was on the right side of his face.  

Also, Kirsten Storms look beautiful today. With her long hair and thin build. She just looked healthier. I’m not sure what the time line is here. Was this way before she took a leave when kept covering her face with her hair? I have no memory of Ryan Paevy being there when she went though that. Maybe, he had left by then and that’s when it happened. Anyway, RP looks is amazingly handsome. Like, Josh Swickard is really good looking but Ryan Paevy is 10 times better looking. He was just a on a different level. He wasn’t the greatest actor but I really miss Nathan.  

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I had forgotten all about Grayson McCouch being a recast. I liked him on AW & ATWT. Unfortunately, he tends to shout his lines and act angry in all his scenes. He was like that on ATWT, too. He didn’t really have chemistry with FH. He always reminded me of MB but was louder. I don’t think he was a good recast and I think they brought the original actor back to finish the storyline out. He’s a good looking  guy with the shaved head and pecs to boot. He’s only 51. I thought he was older.  It looks like hasn’t done anything since GH that I can recall. Sometimes a recast works and other times it doesn’t.

He wasn't a recast. He started it off, then he got recast, then they brought they brought the recast on again.

@ByaNose These episodes were in 2015, after KSt's first leave but two years before her second.

I think JS (with facial hair) is hotter than RP who was way too plastic and robotic for me, although if I saw him in person I'd probably be bowled over by him.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, ulkis said:

He wasn't a recast. He started it off, then he got recast, then they brought they brought the recast on again.

@ByaNose These episodes were in 2015, after KSt's first leave but two years before her second.

I think JS (with facial hair) is hotter than RP who was way too plastic and robotic for me, although I saw him in person I'd probably be bowled over by him.

I doubled checked. McCouch replaced Robert Derringer and then Derringer replaced Grayson McCouch. 

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/grayson-mccouch-debuts-gh/

Thanks for KSt timeline. It’s hard to believe this show was in 2015. Time flies. 

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Why did they skip the episode between yesterday and today? Why are they skipping ahead?  There are going to be no new episodes for months!

I think they’re just airing the episodes that were part of that Nurses Ball collection that they put online last year plus last years. 

• Useful 1

Table of 1 here but I don't find RP that attractive. Nice body but he's fifth in the list of attractive men on the show.

5 hours ago, rur said:

If I'm not mistaken, when he was talking to DeadMom, the scar on his face was on the right side of my screen. Then when Nik came home, the scar had switched sides. Did anyone else see that?

That struck me too. But it was pointed out to me that the scene with DeadMom was shot looking into a mirror.

5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

It wasn't Ava getting her face fixed per se that angered Spencer, it was the agreement not to testify against Valentin in Nik's murder trial in exchange for Valentin getting her into the clinic.

If Spencer had even an iota of empathy he would understand that she felt the same way he had when he was desperate not to be an object of disfigurement. Are we sure he's not related to Carly?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ulkis said:

I think JS (with facial hair) is hotter than RP who was way too plastic and robotic for me, although if I saw him in person I'd probably be bowled over by him.

I've seen RP in person, and while an extremely nice guy, I'd still take JS (clean shaven or facial hair) over him. Just a matter of preference. Wouldn't kick either out of bed though.

Agree that Kirsten Storms looked very pretty. Her hair was so much better. I think that a Nathan/Maxie/Spinelli/Ellie quad was much more interesting than a Chase/Willow/Michael/Sasha one. I was always an Ellie fan though.

So trying to figure out the timeline here on this: In consecutive Nurses Balls, Sam went from Silas to Patrick to Drew? to Jason? Did I miss anyone?

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

That struck me too. But it was pointed out to me that the scene with DeadMom was shot looking into a mirror.

Thank you! 

I'll admit that I don't watch GH with any regularity anymore, in fact I can't remember the last time I watched a week's worth of episodes but I always watch the Nurse's Ball, even though the rebooted version is such a letdown. I know the show doesn't have the budget it once had, but is that the best they could do with that ballroom set? Why is Lucy coming in the same doorway as people entering the ballroom from the lobby/bar? I miss the Port Charles hotel. Remember the ballroom set? It just seemed much more grand vs. everyone looking as though they were setting on top of each other now. 

4 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I doubled checked. McCouch replaced Robert Derringer and then Derringer replaced Grayson McCouch. 

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/grayson-mccouch-debuts-gh/

Thanks for KSt timeline. It’s hard to believe this show was in 2015. Time flies. 

Whoops, sorry. I think i got confused because they wanted GM to return, but he didn't want to for just a few episodes, so they got the original guy again.

They were both hilariously terrible in different ways.

• Love 1

I never understood the hype about GM.  Like, what I saw of his acting on ATWT was... not good.  Or maybe I just hated Dusty and Jenifer SO MUCH that it colored every other thing he ever did or said, even in hindsight.

Now, I liked RH as Paul, and MW as Carly (mostly) and JL as Craig (admittedly he was not my favorite Craig) and I don't remember KS as Kieth, but he couldn't have been that bad if I don't remember hating him.  Did NOT like SJB on ATWT though... Julia2 was useless and annoying and only there to die and give Jack more angst.

Anna and that fed had less chemistry than even Luke and Anna did. Ew.  Also I don't see what Anna saw in NotDeadDewk anyway, since he was a Sonny ass kisser and valued the mob more than her.  Frankly nothing Anna has been involved with in YEARS is worth watching, which is a fucking shame.

• Love 1

Sloan was always very aggressive toward Anna, which I hated. He always had a towel on when she dropped by his hotel room (which, call first!) and would leer and be generally gross. It didn't help that, as someone pointed out, Grayson McCouch had a tendency to shout his lines. 

I never liked Sloan, no matter who played him.

(edited)
18 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Anyway, RP looks is amazingly handsome. Like, Josh Swickard is really good looking but Ryan Paevy is 10 times better looking. He was just a on a different level. He wasn’t the greatest actor but I really miss Nathan.  

You're right in that he wasn't the best actor, but as I said before, I'd watch Ryan Paevey read from the dictionary. He is just so physically attractive. When the guy who was announcing the red carpet said Nathan was possibly the most attractive man he had ever seen, he want lying. Josh Swickard is also attractive and, while not quite as hot as RP, I'd be lying if I said I'd kick either of them out of bed, were I not married.

Edited by BlancheDevoreaux
  • Love 1
(edited)
19 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Also, Kirsten Storms look beautiful today. With her long hair and thin build. She just looked healthier. I’m not sure what the time line is here. Was this way before she took a leave when kept covering her face with her hair? I have no memory of Ryan Paevy being there when she went though that. Maybe, he had left by then and that’s when it happened. 

Paevey left/Nathan died in January 2018. It was 2016 when Storms announced she was taking time off to recover from skin problems, and they recast Maxie with Molly Burnett. In 2017, Storms took a longer break, and someone at the show or the network too-revealingly blurted out that she would be gone for 90 days. That time, they just wrote Maxie off temporarily. Nathan was very much around then; they filled his time with Nurse Amy and the Man Landers saga. Storms/Maxie was back for the end of that story. 

Post Nathan's death, later in 2018, Burnett again did a short-term replacement of Storms. But I think that that time, it was only for a couple of air days. 

So, the 2015 NB show just repeated was before all of the above. 

Edited by Asp Burger
1 hour ago, Asp Burger said:

Paevey left/Nathan died in January 2018. It was 2016 when Storms announced she was taking time off to recover from skin problems, and they recast Maxie with Molly Burnett. In 2017, Storms took a longer break, and someone at the show or the network too-revealingly blurted out that she would be gone for 90 days. That time, they just wrote Maxie off temporarily. Nathan was very much around then; they filled his time with Nurse Amy and the Man Landers saga. Storms/Maxie was back for the end of that story. 

Post Nathan's death, later in 2018, Burnett again did a short-term replacement of Storms. But I think that that time, it was only for a couple of air days. 

So, the 2015 NB show just repeated was before all of the above. 

Thanks for the 411.

• Love 1
(edited)

Regarding eye candy males on the show, I went through the cast (and no, I didn't include Maurice Benard), and while yes, we could use some younger guys and accounting for different tastes, the user who mentioned this first wrote there was only Curtis and Chase and that is definitely not true. Even if you take off 3-5 names because you feel like 'nope, nope, absolutely not!' that still leaves more than two names on here.

Tajh Bellow - TJ
Steve Burton - Jason
Marcus Coloma - Nikolas
William deVry - Julian
Chad Duel - Michael
Michael Easton - Finn
Roger Howarth - Franco
Mark Lawson - Dustin
Ingo Rademacher - Jax
Wes Ramsey - Peter
Marc Anthony Sammuel - Felix
Josh Swickard - Chase
Donnell Turner - Curtis
Johnny Wactor - Brando

As for who would perform in the Magic Milo number.  Along with the regular number of background players, you've got TJ, Dustin, Felix, Chase, Michael and possibly Curtis and Brando.  There you go.

Edited by driver18
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, driver18 said:

Regarding eye candy males on the show, I went through the cast (and no, I didn't include Maurice Benard), and while yes, we could use some younger guys and accounting for different tastes, the user who mentioned this first wrote there was only Curtis and Chase and that is definitely not true. Even if you take off 3-5 names because you feel like 'nope, nope, absolutely not!' that still leaves more than two names on here.

Tajh Bellow - TJ
Steve Burton - Jason
Marcus Coloma - Nikolas
William deVry - Julian
Chad Duel - Michael
Michael Easton - Finn
Roger Howarth - Franco
Mark Lawson - Dustin
Ingo Rademacher - Jax
Wes Ramsey - Peter
Marc Anthony Sammuel - Felix
Josh Swickard - Chase
Donnell Turner - Curtis
Johnny Wactor - Brando

As for who would perform in the Magic Milo number.  Along with the regular number of background players, you've got TJ, Dustin, Felix, Chase, Michael and possibly Curtis and Brando.  There you go.

Not denying that there are men on the show. I just personally don't find most of the men on the show, especially those in the age bracket that would typically do Magic Milo, to be particularly attractive. Chase and Curtis are attractive. Jax is attractive but is no longer in the age bracket. TJ is okay. Jason used to be attractive but not anymore. Nik is perfectly fine but nothing special. Julian's hot but too old. Finn is not attractive. Michael's acceptable. Franco does nothing for me nor does Dustin. Peter isn't attractive. Felix is never on. And Brando odds another "nothing special". YMMV

• Love 3

As soon as I found out that Coloma is musical (he's not bad), I was thinking we were doomed to a corny "sworn enemies make music for a good cause" number with Nikolas and Valentin duetting at the ball. Valentin on the keys and Nikolas on guitar.

I'd make a crack about feeling we dodged a bullet, but honestly, I do miss the show and wish it were still airing. However, I'm not short of other things to fill the time...more than I'd have had 20 years ago.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Asp Burger said:

As soon as I found out that Coloma is musical (he's not bad), I was thinking we were doomed to a corny "sworn enemies make music for a good cause" number with Nikolas and Valentin duetting at the ball. Valentin on the keys and Nikolas on guitar.

Like dueling banjos, but different?

3 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

With a surprise guest appearance from Spencer.

Carly really does just exist to screw with other people, just like clockwork. And not in a good way. She is so past the point of expiration. I'm glad Ava initially laughed in her face. She held her own pretty well in that catfight, considering the height disadvantage.

Loved Hayden's dress, she looked so pretty. Definitely a black dress theme that year. Nik being a total ass there. And aw, a little bit of Cupcake friendship.

Finding it hilarious that Sam does indeed keep showing up with a different guy every year.

The Magic Milo act was...interesting. I had totally forgotten that Griffin and Maxie might be a thing.

Was this Bobbie's diabetes thing? 

• Love 2

The costumes for Ned and Emma are pretty funny. I love the glasses especially. It's a decent Elton John echo for both of them.

You can tell this was a year they had more money, with more random dancers and singers than later. (My DVR says this is 2016, which I think is before the big cuts started?)

"Untie me at once!"
"We are not on the clock; I do not have to take orders from you."
"Untie me. [reluctantly] Please?"

12 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

I think so.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, tvgoddess said:

Carly really does just exist to screw with other people, just like clockwork. And not in a good way. She is so past the point of expiration. I'm glad Ava initially laughed in her face. She held her own pretty well in that catfight, considering the height disadvantage.

Loved Hayden's dress, she looked so pretty. Definitely a black dress theme that year. Nik being a total ass there. And aw, a little bit of Cupcake friendship.

Finding it hilarious that Sam does indeed keep showing up with a different guy every year.

The Magic Milo act was...interesting. I had totally forgotten that Griffin and Maxie might be a thing.

Griffin was so awkward in that performance.

Edited by BlancheDevoreaux
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

Not denying that there are men on the show. I just personally don't find most of the men on the show, especially those in the age bracket that would typically do Magic Milo, to be particularly attractive. Chase and Curtis are attractive. Jax is attractive but is no longer in the age bracket. TJ is okay. Jason used to be attractive but not anymore. Nik is perfectly fine but nothing special. Julian's hot but too old. Finn is not attractive. Michael's acceptable. Franco does nothing for me nor does Dustin. Peter isn't attractive. Felix is never on. And Brando odds another "nothing special". YMMV

Well, sorry, that's kind of on your tastes then. There is a decent number of generally good-looking men on the show. You don't think they are, OK, then, but of that list that I put out--for me, personally, I find them all good-looking. And I find Nikolas, Julian, Finn, Franco, Jax (even if IR himself is so on the no-no list as a human being), Chase, Curtis, Peter and Brando varying degrees of pretty darn attractive. And I know that lots of people still find Sonny and Jason so as well. (I don't know why, but they do.) Plenty find Dustin and TJ attractive as well--if not here. I didn't list him, but there are tons of references to Mac being a silver fox.

The point is that while you, personally, may find only two of the actors I listed attractive, there are a number of conventionally good-looking actors on GH in their 20s to 50s that a broad spectrum of fans can and do find attractive.

*I only listed Felix because we were talking about guys who could appear in the Magic Milo number.

• Love 1

The Nurses Ball today (I think it was 2016) had the most beautiful dresses on the women. I do laugh at the “gala” designation when there are all of ten(?) tables at most. Couldn’t they have dug up some out of work actors to fill out the place? 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

You can tell this was a year they had more money, with more random dancers and singers than later. (My DVR says this is 2016, which I think is before the big cuts started?)

There sign said 2016 plus they had a sponsor again so I guess I little extra cash.  Everyone looked fantastic (Maxi unrecognizable!).  I must have missed this in 2016 because I never saw the Ned - Emma routine before which was cute but she definitely can't sing and she isn't much of a dancer either (also basing this comment on the tango #) . Maybe that is why she went the soap actress route because she not a triple threat.

My gosh VA, old Jordan, is so beautiful. Every time I see her on screen she just takes my breath away.

• Love 4

Most of the Magic Milo cast from 2016 is still there: Milo, Felix (for whom this is his big yearly appearance), Curtis. You can substitute Chase in for Griffin and I'd be surprised if most of the audience could tell the difference.

Who was the other guy? I didn't recognize him. You can put TJ or Brando into that slot.

I liked the Elton John number, it was a good use of the actors. Not so Jake's number, it was like an end-of-year school pageant. But I can see how they are working to redeem Franco and it's consistent with the Franco of today.

Everyone really did look good and Maxie looked fantastic. I wish she'd stop with the awful hair dying job.

Is someone trying to kill Bobbie?  Good luck to them, whoever it is.

I fast forwarded through everything Carly; life  is too short to have to watch that.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Who was the other guy? I didn't recognize him. You can put TJ or Brando into that slot.

I think that rando was Dillon Quartermaine.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Ned and Emma were ADORABLE!! It gave me the feels that 18 years ago, Ned and Robin performed together.

Gati is hilarious! Demanding that a epiphany untie her, and then “please?”😂😂

So this took place after/same year that Jason Thompson left to go on Young & The Restless, right? And is Robin pregnant now? Or did she tell Anna she was offscreen? Or did she get pregnant in 2017?

Laura looked gorgeous!

So who was trying to shoot Bobbie up?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Most of the Magic Milo cast from 2016 is still there: Milo, Felix (for whom this is his big yearly appearance), Curtis. You can substitute Chase in for Griffin and I'd be surprised if most of the audience could tell the difference.

I liked the Elton John number, it was a good use of the actors. Not so Jake's number, it was like an end-of-year school pageant. But I can see how they are working to redeem Franco and it's consistent with the Franco of today.

Everyone really did look good and Maxie looked fantastic. I wish she'd stop with the awful hair dying job.

Is someone trying to kill Bobbie?  Good luck to them, whoever it is.

I fast forwarded through everything Carly; life  is too short to have to watch that.

The other guy was Dillon Quartermaine.

If memory serves, I think this was when we learned Bobbie is diabetic.

• Love 1

Ha, I had to look twice to recognize Dillon, too. Poor RPW. He didn’t make much of an impact.

12 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

If memory serves, I think this was when we learned Bobbie is diabetic.

Yep, and I think it’s also the beginning of the hospital-killer story, right?

2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Ha, I had to look twice to recognize Dillon, too. Poor RPW. He didn’t make much of an impact.

Yep, and I think it’s also the beginning of the hospital-killer story, right?

Yes! Which I was very torn on because I was enjoying Paul Hornsby and hated to see him go, but he got rid of Sabrina which was wonderful.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Acts like Ned and Emma are the reason that I love the Nurses Ball. Someone above mentioned that Emma was not very talented. That is exactly the point. People of all levels of talent performing for GH's charity. And the cast in the audience was not reacting to Emma, they were reacting to Brooklyn. I like that. Maybe an UO, but I always enjoy the NB. 

• Love 3

So who was the female blonde nurse who featured prominently in the Nurses’ number in today’s episode? I think I’ve seen her in other repeat episodes

Does ABC still have the Nurse’s Ball collection on their website? I tried looking but seemed to reach a dead page. If they haven’t done it already, I wish they would release a musical highlights collection on DVD or via streaming, but that might be a rights nightmare. I know there are some fan-made collections for personal purchase or trade somewhere and I recorded several show highlights for my own use, but it would be nice to have good recordings

38 minutes ago, DanaK said:

So who was the female blonde nurse who featured prominently in the Nurses’ number in today’s episode? I think I’ve seen her in other repeat episodes

Does ABC still have the Nurse’s Ball collection on their website? I tried looking but seemed to reach a dead page. If they haven’t done it already, I wish they would release a musical highlights collection on DVD or via streaming, but that might be a rights nightmare. I know there are some fan-made collections for personal purchase or trade somewhere and I recorded several show highlights for my own use, but it would be nice to have good recordings

I haven't been watching these episodes, but it was probably Amy Driscoll. 

27 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

That was the very beginning of the terrible, rage-stroke-inducing (for me) Man Landers story.

It took me forever to figure out that they were saying “Man Landers” instead of “Ann Landers”. That may have just been the stupidest story GH has ever done since I’ve been watching for the past 40 years.

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Acts like Ned and Emma are the reason that I love the Nurses Ball. Someone above mentioned that Emma was not very talented. That is exactly the point. People of all levels of talent performing for GH's charity. And the cast in the audience was not reacting to Emma, they were reacting to Brooklyn. I like that. Maybe an UO, but I always enjoy the NB. 

Agree. And it also made me a bit sad that there weren't enough girls Emma's age--because watching her with Ned? It also took me back to when Robin, Maxi and Georgie sang Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" in the first year? Or was it just Maxi and Georgie? Either way, that act was adorrrrable.

But nothing has given me chills and tears like the one in '96 with the AIDS Quilt and Miguel singing. THAT is what is missing from the resurrection of the Nurses Ball. I don't care about the love lives of the characters, but want to see how the show respects and shows HEART for those who are HIV+/have AIDS. So scenes with SheBeast making it all about her, and other stuff? So not interested.

• Love 2
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

I’m trying to decide which opening act I hate more: “welcome to the nurse’s ball” or “you're not alone anymore”

No Leisl this year? 🙁 

I really enjoyed You’re Not Alone Anymore, both of the times they’ve shown it, though the second was more fun. I’m currently going through some early ones I recorded, I think from the 90s, and there were some fun acts over the years and some really good singing

Edited by DanaK

I never was a fan of Man Landers but it almost seems like good times compared to Wylie custody story.

And way to honour non-binary people in the opening number with all the girls in pink and the boys in blue.