Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Six Out of Six

• Start Topic

I hope Kay and Beau find their way back to each other.  I like them together.  The piglets were so cute! I liked the cheating at the end too.  Made me chuckle.  I remember playing euchre with a friend in college. He and I won a lot and in hindsight I'm not really sure how because we definitely didn't have that second level conversation skills that the vet and his wife had. 

• Love 2

Not sure how I feel about them introducing a baby plotline.  I just assumed, since both actors are in their forties, that Mike and Rio weren't having kids.  Especially Rio.  She does not seem like the type of person that would be interested in having kids in the slightest.  Also, introducing a baby into a cast that is mostly made up of people who are middle aged and up just seems like it would throw everything off.  

• Love 2

but ugh. Please no babies. Babies tend to ruin TV shows, and if anyone does not currently need kids, it's these two. They're broke, have no insurance, the house is basically condemnable, there are snakes in the wall and two fairly strange guys who drift in and out at all hours. I like Rio and Mike, but they can barely function  themselves. Just say no to the baby storyline.

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I mean Lake Bell is only 40 plenty of women have kids in their early 40s.

Not easily though.  Also, there's a big difference between having your last baby in your 40s and your first.  Fertility starts to take a big dip after 35 and for a huge chunk of women trying to get pregnant at that age, a lot of intervention is required.  

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Not easily though.  Also, there's a big difference between having your last baby in your 40s and your first.  Fertility starts to take a big dip after 35 and for a huge chunk of women trying to get pregnant at that age, a lot of intervention is required.  

Many women do not need intervention even after 40, I was born when my mother was 42 with no intervention, several other women in my family including my sister had children without intervention in their 40s. In the last ten years there have been a lot of studies that suggest many past notions about fertility and “geriatric” pregnancies aren’t accurate.

Edited by biakbiak

The problem with this show is that the supporting characters are all great and the leads are duds. Not the actors, the characters. Love Dax Shepard, love Lake Bell, but Mike and Rio just aren't working for some reason, and everything they do just doesn't land right or something. Meanwhile, Beau, Kay, Jacob and Rudy are all funny and great. I don't know what it is, there is something off in the writing and delivery for Mike and Rio, or something about how they contrast against the more absurd characters that leaves them falling flat. 

I loved the whole bit about the euchre tourney but the whole baby thing with Mike and Rio just didn't work. I agree introducing a baby is a misstep and maybe even a sign the writers know something isn't working with Mike and Rio. 

• Love 1
On 11/20/2019 at 1:51 PM, Snapdragon said:

Not sure how I feel about them introducing a baby plotline. 

I doubt that they would do that. The gag being how nobody minds their own business and is judging them for not having kids.  Maybe some orphan will end up in their life and we'll see that their parenting is as bad as their farming skills. 😄

On 11/21/2019 at 1:37 PM, iMonrey said:

The problem with this show is that the supporting characters are all great and the leads are duds. Not the actors, the characters. Love Dax Shepard, love Lake Bell, but Mike and Rio just aren't working for some reason, and everything they do just doesn't land right or something. Meanwhile, Beau, Kay, Jacob and Rudy are all funny and great. I don't know what it is, there is something off in the writing and delivery for Mike and Rio, or something about how they contrast against the more absurd characters that leaves them falling flat. 

I don't mind the leads that much but at the same time the show needs to work the small town setting better. By that they really need to use the secondary characters more (since that is already where the funniest stuff is, Kay is hilarious) and then develop some tertiary weirdo characters for the local townsfolk. Basically just rip off Parks and Recreation, I mean they already have Jerry.

On 11/20/2019 at 3:20 PM, biakbiak said:

I mean Lake Bell is only 40 plenty of women have kids in their early 40s.

Plenty of women have kids in their 40s but I don't know that Rio is in her 40s.

The actress playing Rio looks closer to 50 (to me) but I figured the character was in her 30s. I'm used to TV shows casting someone to play a younger or older part, so I don't think Lake Bell's age is relevant here. 

On 11/20/2019 at 3:51 PM, Snapdragon said:

That's true for some but we have no idea if fertility is an issue for this particular couple. And I say couple because the man's fertility matters, too, if a couple is looking to conceive naturally. But we also don't know if fertility is an issue because Rio said she wanted to try but she didn't say how they would try. There are lots of different ways to bring children into your family.

14 minutes ago, love2lovebadtv said:

actress playing Rio looks closer to 50 (to me) but I figured the character was in her 30s. I'm used to TV shows casting someone to play a younger or older part, so I don't think Lake Bell's age is relevant here. 

Lake Bell who both played Rio and created the show talked about creating a character her age and she was born in 1979.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Lake Bell who both played Rio and created the show talked about creating a character her age and she was born in 1979.

Wow, I didn't know that! Thank you for filling me in. I thought she was much older in real life than her character is supposed to be.