Type keyword(s) to search

S39.E09: Two for the Price of One

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I have loved this show since season 2 but I have to admit, last night, for the first time, it felt...different.  I can’t quite put my finger on it to articulate it as well as I should but I was uncomfortable watching them just go about playing the game like nothing happened.
I’ll still watch, but I think I’m going to just run out the season and hope that season 40 is better.  I mean, it cannot possibly be worse.
I also hated that dumb twist of splitting everyone up.  If you want two tribes, don’t merge one episode earlier.

• Love 17
19 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Noura's team after she forgot about the PB&J

giphy.gif

Fun fact:  NBA teams unanimously voted PB&J their favorite pregame snack for energy boost and mental health benefits.   

No lie, I would eliminate someone purely for fucking up PB&J Day.

Noura was solid as hell in that challenge and looked like she would've easily bested Elaine and Missy.

3E8A451300000578-4340438-image-m-45_1490

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Considering we see only about one-tenth of what goes on, I can only imagine what Missy said or did to others. In my opinion, she is a first-rate scary bully and I feel for the other jury members stuck in a hotel with her.

The other jurors, "scared of" Missy: 

tumblr_or2ut55KVd1snfkh7o2_500.gifvtumblr_p6hupovNDL1rw2lowo3_540.gif

ETA: Anddd I just realized Dean looks like a miniature Pablo Schreiber.

deanblindep4.gif

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Considering we see only about one-tenth of what goes on, I can only imagine what Missy said or did to others. In my opinion, she is a first-rate scary bully and I feel for the other jury members stuck in a hotel with her.

Before watching the Ponderosa clip I might have agreed with this. At the moment I’m thinking a lot of Missy, Aaron and Elizabeth’s behavior shown is due to their competitive spirit.  

For the first time I’d really like to see more of what happens at Ponderosa. 

Just me?

• Love 5
9 hours ago, TVFan1 said:

Two very satisfying boots. I wanted Missy and Aaron gone when they turned on Chelsea and  got her voted out. I loved seeing them get their torch snuffed. 

Seeing her and Elizabeth s faces with Aaron on the Jury after their Horridness last week was so Satisfying!! And the Uppity " Jury shouldn't be looking like that?" Why cause U say so Bitch? Cause Aaron's worthy of being in the game but Janet isnt? Fuck off Missy

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Kelda Feegle said:

Was it Dan that shouted "stupid" when Noura stepped off instead of trying for the pbj?

Yes, I believe so.  It felt a bit cringey coming from him.  

Then Dean told her, "We could have gotten PB&J, you know."  

Then Noura did the Noara thing and looked at the other team and said, "Maybe we can split it."  

• LOL 15
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, lilabennet said:

I don't blame Janet for trying to make up with Dan.  She was so thoroughly gaslighted by Missy and Elizabeth that she probably isn't sure at this point what the truth is about Dan's behavior.

I don't think Missy is a bully.  She is pushy and bossy, but not a bully.  She just wields her intelligence and self-confidence like weapons and weaker minds can't handle that.  Karishma probably thinks people are yelling at her all the time when they really aren't.

I agree with this. I don't like Missy, but unless we're missing some real conversations between Missy and Karishma, I think using the word "bully" is a bit of an overreaction. She's bossy, yes. She talks down on people and talks at people. She thinks she's more subtle than she actually is. She can be mean and she definitely doesn't have a good poker face. But no, Karishma, I don't think Missy is a bully. 

Karishma bothers me a lot. I was rolling my eyes super hard when Karishma was whining about how she needed to think about how to use her idol so people needed to leave her alone. No, dumbass. You need to be playing the game, which means you can't just walk away to spend hours thinking about how to play your idol. You can't do what you always do and be lazy and act like you're on vacation. You're playing a goddamn game. Woman up and start playing it, for goodness sake. 

I will say, Elaine got back on my good side. I do think her "I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON" is the only thing that legitimately bothers me about her, at this point.

Tommy also got on my good side. Yes, Karishma's an irritating player who's being pulled around, but I do think that Tommy was right on the money about how people treat Karishma. They still have to be nice, especially since none of these idiots voted her out pre-merge, so now she'll either be on the jury, or she'll be one of the ones people vote for to win. She probably won't win if she doesn't get anything on her resume, but she still is someone who will likely help decide the winner. And right now, I think Karishma would only vote for Elaine or Tommy to win. Maybe Janet as well, but everyone else? 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

It was like having the idol made Karishma think she could play the game. And yet, if Karishma had been playing the game the entire time she might not have felt that she needed the idol to be empowered.

It's like Dumbo having the feather made it possible for him to fly.  🙂

• LOL 15
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, watchingtvaddict said:

The way she said it, too.

Didn't realise you could have such a long good bye at tribal. 

You can't but Missy pushes boundaries and is allowed  and the show is afraid to muzzle her!

I was cheering when she got voted out!

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Since the word "bully" has come up, I found that scene very uncomfortable to watch.  Noura TOLD Karishma that Noura WAS going to call medical on her, point blank, period.  Karishma  - in keeping with the theme of this season - had to tell Noura that actually no, you don't get to call medical for me as it's my body.  What in the hell is with these people and boundaries this season??  I hated Noura in that moment - I think her motivation was to get Karishma out of the game but the way she went about it was not okay.

No, sorry. Karishma was pretending to be completely out of it and staggering around in a fog like she could barely stand up. She acted like she really was having a medical emergency and Noura was 100% correct in saying that she WAS going to call medical. If she was actually suffering from some kind of emergency that led to her wandering in a daze for an hour it’s likely she would not be in her right mind and would not know what is best for her. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 20
Just now, Mr. Miner said:

Why didn't she cuddle/spoon with Dan? I mean, it's not like he's done anything inappropriate.

And she feels safe 100% of the time and if she ever didn't she would've said something about it!  Though I think Dan's sufficiently had the shit scared out of him and won't be trying to spoon or fork anyone on that beach again.  

Since I have no expectation for justice to prevail/Janet to make it to the end, I'm sort of hoping for a Karishma win at this point just so all these jackholes will have to say "I lost to Karishma on my season, who did nothing at camp outside of finding 2 coconuts and an idol in 6 hours.  She did well at balance immunity challenges; she practiced for them by sleeping upright on the edge of a hammock while we were talking to her and she stayed nice and hydrated by drinking everyone else's water." 

giphy.gif

• LOL 10
  • Love 4

We are all the hero in our on narratives. Bullies don’t think they are bullies. Missy (and the others) were definitely bullying Karishma in the scenes they showed tonight. I will say that Karishma seems to portray herself as a victim and that can bring bullying on (not that that excuses bullying)

we will never have a color blind society as long as we single groups out by race whether for good or bad. Missy playing the race card was not a good look. There was no part of her being voted out that was related to her race. Also, how stupid does she think Tommy is?  All the votes were for her or him. Unless she voted for herself, she had to have voted for him. How is that not trying to get him out?

• Love 18
11 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

And also, Jamal had the face and demeanor of a classic bitter jury member on that bench!

Yes and I loved it! He just seemed so over these people. which I greatly appreciate since nearly all of them just suck like super hard.

I don't know what I expected from this ep really but I'm sure it wasn't for them to pretend last week never happened and feature Dan heavily that's for sure. Just, wow.

I have always loved Karishma and she was fantastic in this ep. Her, "I don't have a watch," 100% should have been the title.

I hate how last week's behavior from Missy and Elizabeth made it so Dan's behavior was somewhat downplayed and now this week Missy makes solid points about how women/minorities usually do in this game and it's overshadowed and downplayed because she's a heinous piece of shit. Sigh, this season just sucks. It's so depressing.

• Love 21

I definitely think the word “bully” is thrown around pretty liberally these days.  Though in fairness to Karishma, we’re not seeing everything she did, so perhaps there are more events that look more like bullying that we can’t see. 
Though bully or not, it’s pretty clear that Missy treats Karishma horribly.  Karishma is annoying af - but to Tommy’s point, that doesn’t mean that she shouldn’t be treated like a human being with feelings.  When Karishma finally stood up for herself in front of Missy I was proud of her.  I’m just hoping Missy’s “number one” will be gone by next week.  

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, Drogo said:

And she feels safe 100% of the time and if she ever didn't she would've said something about it!  Though I think Dan's sufficiently had the shit scared out of him and won't be trying to spoon or fork anyone on that beach again.  

Since I have no expectation for justice to prevail/Janet to make it to the end, I'm sort of hoping for a Karishma win at this point just so all these jackholes will have to say "I lost to Karishma on my season, who did nothing at camp outside of finding 2 coconuts and an idol in 6 hours.  She did well at balance immunity challenges; she practiced for them by sleeping upright on the edge of a hammock while we were talking to her and she stayed nice and hydrated by drinking everyone else's water." 

giphy.gif

There's always a bigger target than Karishma!  That's her game!  She's smart and educated and has an idol now.  I'm not going to underestimate her!  Plus she got rid of Missy!  Lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

"I don't have a watch" said by Karishma WAS funny.  It's so rare that the show calls attention to the reality of the situation like that.

Brings back memories of Shane going nuts and making a Blackberry out of a rock.  Ahh....... simpler, sweeter times.

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

There's always a bigger target than Karishma!  That's her game!  She's smart and educated and has an idol now.  I'm not going to underestimate her!  Plus she got rid of Missy!  Lol

If Karishma was smart she would have taken ownership of that move when Missy asked. She should have said it was me and here is why. Instead she sat there and let Tommy try and take credit it for it first, with the "you were targeting me." And then Elaine, I think that is her name, said it was her. All Karishma did was sit there looking smug. Essentially she was sending the message that she was happy to be the swing vote but that she didn't coordinate anything.

• Love 3

I've always been such a vocal supporter of sports for girls  and now Missy and Elisabeth have burst my bubble and shown me there can be a downside to that.  Just as with the boys (I should have looked at the stereotypical, obnoxious jock) those girls who are gifted at sports just might become so spoiled by the popularity that goes with being the school's star athlete that they never have to develop people skills like tact, honesty and respect for others. 

This!  My daughter plays soccer and basketball and is a pretty good athlete but is by no means the star.  She plays with the *stars* who have free reign of life at school.  Favored by other kids, teachers, etc. Some of them even try out for other teams and automatically make it because of reputation. I'm so glad my daughter has a good head on her shoulders to recognize that as bullshit.  We taught her that nothing in life is fair and that as long as you put in 100% you have done all you can do.

Missy is insuffurable.  I don't think she's a bully, but she's a popular mean girl who is used to getting her way.  Calling Jeff out about her and Aaron winning immunity and being a minority?  Girl, GTFO with that shit.  I never even thought of it that way because I don't see people as a race, I see them as people.

Back to our regularly scheduled topic:  Go Janet or Elaine!

• Love 21
15 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I have always loved Karishma and she was fantastic in this ep. Her, "I don't have a watch," 100% should have been the title.

I want to use that line and "I'll be ready to talk when you've calmed down" on an annoying person one day. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, Sarnia said:

So what happened to Jeff's "I will always bring it up" to Dan last week?

I think he meant "I will always bring it up when something like this happens" rather than "I will always bring it up every day for the rest of the season"

42 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Good grief, I hope so.  There is honestly no reason for them to have to walk around 24/7 and perform challenges in their underwear.  I'm not sure when this started but it's completely ridiculous.  If they want to get new and younger watchers on board, let the players wear actual clothes.

For real, I'm not a prude but it's certainly not appealing to see all these HD balls every episode the last few seasons. And beyond that, just from a characterization standpoint it's so much more interesting to see people in their everyday clothes during their time on the island rather than everyone just wearing similar skin-tight sportswear type gear and/or tiny boxer briefs.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Special K said:

I'm a little ashamed at how much gleeful cackling was heard in my house when:

1. Elizabeth and Missy saw Aaron sitting in the jury

2. Missy, one of Elizabeth's number ones, got voted out.

High and mighty Elizabeth had such a cartoony bug-eyed shocked face, that I LOLed for a long time.

Ok, I'm not really that ashamed.

No shame here I loved seeing Elizabeth losing her masters in the game and the look of her horrid self's face when Aaron was on Jury. She was one of the only dumb ones that thought keeping Aaron around was smart. Her " love you" to him was Barfworthy.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Since the word "bully" has come up, I found that scene very uncomfortable to watch.  Noura TOLD Karishma that Noura WAS going to call medical on her, point blank, period.  Karishma  - in keeping with the theme of this season - had to tell Noura that actually no, you don't get to call medical for me as it's my body.  What in the hell is with these people and boundaries this season??  I hated Noura in that moment - I think her motivation was to get Karishma out of the game but the way she went about it was not okay.

I dunno, I didn't see it as bullying.  They were being ridiculous in trying to make their point, but that's it, IMO.  They were trying to make a point that if she's sooo sick that she can never do anything at anytime maybe she should see medical.  Then she said she would feel better in an hour.  Then they said they'd make the decision for her since she's so bad-off,  and she took a drink of water and said 'I feel better now'.  But here's the important part- they said they were going to call medical anyway, but they don't actually have that power, and everybody knew it, even Karishma.  If they did have that power then we'd be talking about something else, but they don't, so we're not.  Honestly they were all being insufferable, even Karishma. 

This has nothing to do with whatever went on between her and Missy at camp, or whatever else.  This had to do with Karishma being lazy, useless and whiny as hell about everything,  All.  The.  Time.  They were calling her bluff with a bluff of their own.  I guess we all draw our lines at different places.  I saw it as the two most irritating personalities getting their fur up.  One plays the constant victim card (not saying she's not sometimes a victim) and the other just cannot read a room and doesn't seem to possess any critical thinking skills at all.  I thought it was a humorous interaction.  YMMV.  🤷‍♀️

I think the term 'bullying' has been used so much that it's starting to lose it's meaning.  I'm on a parental advisory board at my son's school and the staff is starting to talk about how we might need to go back and define bullying to the kids.  There has been an emphasis on it because it was ignored for so long, and kids were being legitimately bullied.  But now everything is bullying in their eyes.  They have a disagreement with someone and both feel they were bullied.  It's similar to the sexual harassment issue.  When every little thing is defined as bullying, then the serious bullying gets devalued.  It's out of hand. 

Edited by eskimo
typo
  • Useful 3
  • Love 20
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

Noura TOLD Karishma that Noura WAS going to call medical on her, point blank, period.  Karishma  - in keeping with the theme of this season - had to tell Noura that actually no, you don't get to call medical for me as it's my body.  What in the hell is with these people and boundaries this season??  I hated Noura in that moment - I think her motivation was to get Karishma out of the game but the way she went about it was not okay.

I don't blame Noura at all for that.  Karishma realised she had been gone for an hour and came back with two coconuts so she decided to put on a show and act like she was sick and about to pass out.  She looked like she was dazed and confused and dehydrated.  She had this vacant glassy stare.  Barely uttering her words and stumbling over them.  What were the others supposed to think?

Especially considering this is the same Karishma that whined and cried when she cut her hand and they all just sat there ignoring her and doing nothing.  So now Noura is concerned for her and wants to call medical and Karishma is all "no, you're not going to ruin my game".

• Love 20
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

Calling medical doesn’t equate to bullying. Calling medical means you are concerned about someone being ill.    Calling medical means you tell medical that she was behaving like x.  Medical takes  her vitals, she  privately tells them she was playing it up, and medical goes away.    if medical decides Karishma is actually ill they do that based on their own observations not another players.   

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 18
Just now, blackwing said:

Noura is concerned for her and wants to call medical

If Noura was genuinely concerned about Karishma's health, she wouldn't have sent her out alone for coconuts when she/Karishma could barely stay awake and not checked on her for an hour. 

From the very beginning Noura has taken it personally when others don't pitch in at camp (ex: her rage at Molly for not keeping the fire alive while she was asleep) and for this reason she dislikes Karishma.  

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, Drogo said:

If Noura was genuinely concerned about Karishma's health, she wouldn't have sent her out alone for coconuts when she/Karishma could barely stay awake and not checked on her for an hour. 

From the very beginning Noura has taken it personally when others don't pitch in at camp (ex: her rage at Molly for not keeping the fire alive while she was asleep) and for this reason she dislikes Karishma.  

I don't disagree that Noura doesn't tolerate lazy people.  But when she asked Karishma to get coconuts, Karishma was perfectly fine.  She walked off and was fine.  She never said she didn't feel well.  She disappeared for an hour and covered up her idol hunting with a lie.

There's plenty of reasons why they wouldn't have thought to look for her.  Maybe they suspected she was looking for an idol and didn't want to call her out on it by going to find her.  Maybe they thought she was taking an enormous shit.  Maybe they thought she was taking the opportunity to sleep.  Just because they didn't go look for her doesn't necessarily mean that they weren't concerned for her health when she stumbled upon them looking like she was about to pass out.

• Love 10

Seriously, if someone goes looking for coconuts and returns an hour later with only two coconuts while seeming dazed and weak and about to pass out, the BEST CASE scenario is that they need to be looked at by medical. If anything, that's the friendly assumption! Haha.

If Noura would have immediately jumped to "you were looking for an idol, you're faking it, nobody goes looking for coconuts and only finds two in an hour!" I could see THAT being construed as bullying. Telling her she needs to be looked at by medical is taking things at face value, regardless of whether either one of them was "playing the game" in that moment.

Edited by huskerj12
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Special K said:

Also, I HATE when people boast about how proud/happy they are to be their own precious selves.

You and me, Special K.  I shudder over comments like Missy's one about looking in the mirror and liking everything she sees.  I'm not sure when being disgustingly conceited became having high self-esteem but I missed the change over.

12 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Calling medical doesn’t equate to bullying.callund medical means you are concerned about someone being ill.    Calling medical means you tell medical that she was behaving like x.  Medical takes  her vitals, she  privately tells them she was playing it up, and medical goes away.    

Yes, lets not forget how upset Karishma was at people for not calling medical over her  cut hand.  That was back when her husband was a dud her parents had saddled her with.  I am glad she appreciates him now but I hope he wasn't watching that other episode.

• Love 14

I think that it could be as simple as Noura is sick of listening to Karishma whine and complain. It's always something with Karishma. Noura probably thought, let medical deal with her, I'm sick of it. Karishma is a crybaby. It gets tiring.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16

I'm shocked none of them suspected Karishma of idol-hunting.  Isn't that usually what people do (or what others assume they do), when they disappear for a long time?

Another example of the people in power, underestimating players they believe are inferior.

• Love 17
8 minutes ago, Libby said:

I think that it could be as simple as Noura is sick of listening to Karishma whine and complain. It's always something with Karishma. Noura probably thought, let medical deal with her, I'm sick of it. Karishma is a crybaby. It gets tiring.

So does watching the kind of person Noura is as well

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, blackwing said:

But when she asked Karishma to get coconuts, Karishma was perfectly fine. 

Perfectly fine people don't typically fall asleep sitting up in a hammock, but let's say she was genuinely concerned when Karishma returned... would a genuinely concerned tribemate barrage the person she's concerned about with questions and comments and say she's going to call medical, or would she just call medical?  I just find it hard to believe Noura was actually concerned and not just trying to scare Karishma into being less of a lazy shitbag leech. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, Josh371982 said:

So does watching the kind of person Noura is as well

I find Noura's personality enjoyable. I think that she's hilarious. Karishma, on the other hand is a sad sack. She's no fun to watch in my opinion.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, Libby said:

I find Noura's personality enjoyable. I think that she's hilarious. Karishma, on the other hand is a sad sack. She's no fun to watch in my opinion.

I enjoy watching Noura on TV, but she would drive me crazy in real life.  She's like Debbie's slightly better-adjusted sister.

I guess marginally depressed or sad people don't bother me very much.  They make sense to me!

• Love 13

* an episode where Janet survives is good. Even better when one of the more detested players goes home (and by detested, that is based on last week's episode; I didn't detest Missy until that; she came on strong but I wasn't antiMissy). Now if we can just see Elizabeth go by.

* Karishma remains so hard to like. She has these slight moments but her other qualities make her really hard to root for and I always root for underdogs.

* the playing to the jury conduct seems to keep getting more brazen. I think that was Missy's goal with the weird "hey, Jeff, why didn't you comment on 2 minorities winning immunity" comment. All of the jury except Jack would were minorities so I think it was a clear "hey, if I make it to the end, don't forget it's bad for minorities to go out fast--and look at all of you on the jury already. . . ". Elizabeth's love you to Aaron read the same way to me.

*Noura being such an idiot about the PB&J part was hilarious.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10