Type keyword(s) to search

Blind Date 2019 - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Bravo dives back into the dating pool with its reboot of the iconic series “Blind Date.” In the age of social media where preconceived notions dominate and dating apps thrive on a swipe left or right, hopeful singles looking to form a true connection – or perhaps just any connection – take the ultimate plunge when they embark on a blind date. A nod to the original format with a modernized twist to match social media trends, each half-hour episode focuses on two couples of varying ethnicity, sexual orientation and age. As each unpredictable date progresses, only time will tell if these strangers struggle to connect or find their perfect match.

Cameras follow these daters’ every move and their dates range from awkward, to fun, to cringeworthy in the best way possible. Comedian Nikki Glaser guides viewers through each encounter with hilarious commentary, as various graphics, animations and ever-telling “thought bubbles” ensure that nothing goes unsaid. With nothing to rely on but first impressions, perhaps it’s the adventure of the unknown for these daters that proves sometimes you’re better off going in blind.

• Love 1

I used to love this show! It made me feel better about my own bad dates. I’m here for the mess that is this new version.

As an aside, I remember a letter to an advice columnist where a woman was dating a man who wouldn’t tell her his name (he would answer things like “low down in the ghetto” or “man done wrong”). She was worried because if she had children with him, what name would she put on the birth certificate? 

On 11/20/2019 at 8:45 PM, hula-la said:

I used to love this show! It made me feel better about my own bad dates. I’m here for the mess that is this new version.

Heh. I'm pretty sure this show will make me feel better about my recent decision that I'm really good at, and really comfortable with, being single.

• Love 3

I was watching this show tonight and at nine minutes in I was already kinda wishing I hadn't started to watch. Now that I have though I feel like I have to finish. Lisa the vodka lady doesn't seem like she's in the condition to date and certainly not teach if her obsession with vodka is as bad off screen.  Can you imagine seeing your kids teacher behave like this on a TV show? Stephen seemed kinda boring with what he described as his hobbies which wouldn't bother me. I don't think he came across as boring because he doesn't drink though. I don't drink and can be quite fun without being sloppy drunk. 

The second date with Sierra and Madison (not sure I've met a guy with that name) was at  kind of easier to watch. Madison seemed like he was kinda paranoid about women especially with the hair dye joke/comment at the end. Got tired of him implying he was such a 'ladies man' who had slept with a bunch of women especially when he went for the baby formula instead of the necklace. Sierra seemed kinda desperate for a guy a first but by the end she realized douche bro Madison wasn't into her and didn't appear to be bothered by it which I thought was a good thing. She came across as a nice person who I hope finds a non douche of a guy who might be a reformed bad boy.

Edited by Jaded
7 hours ago, Jaded said:

I was watching this show tonight and at nine minutes in I was already kinda wishing I hadn't started to watch. Now that I have though I feel like I have to finish.

I let the DVR record all of them, and then after I feed everybody dinner I sit down on the couch, invite my golden retriever puppy up to join me, and we watch the previous night's festivities. By making this a daily routine, I no longer feel like I have to finish any one particular date if it's just too stupid/boring for me to take. 

The second date in episode prior to the one you watched had a pair women in their mid-twenties. One was a little sarcastic and kind of fun, the other was a HUGE conspiracy theorist.

The faces sarcastic girl made when conspiracy girl expressed her doubts about the moon landing?  

yum.gif

• Love 2

The puppy and I watched that episode @Jaded, and wow. I think Sierra was the only one of the four people I’d actually like to be around. You nailed it with Madison, paranoid douche bro. Shitshow Lisa was too much of everything, and I didn’t get a good feeling about her date, but to be fair, that may have just been because she was so nuts.