Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Lantern7

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Five episodes of this anime have aired on Toonami, so I think it’s past due for a thread. Basic premise: boy finds his family slain and his sister turned into a demon. He goes out into the world and becomes a demon slayer. From what I’ve heard, the manga is currently selling better than One Piece.

Thanks for firing up a thread.  
I mentioned before - the fact that Tonjiro joins up with a guy basically wearing the Akatsuki cloud pattern robe can’t be good, right?

For some reason the authentic (?) looking legwear really makes this show real for me.  (That, and the protagonist’s ever-changing forehead scar.)

I'm liking it so far. There's no gaggle of teenagers and it looks like we'll be spared some kind of Chunnin Exam scenario. If I counted correctly Tonjiro was training for two years while his sister slept. 

I’m somehow bummed that our protagonist beats the arrow demon by just remembering to do his mystical techniques but moreso.

Then I remembered that was the plot of shows I really liked, like BLEACH, so I guess I can’t complain too hard.  I guess I just wanted there to be more of a trick to it somehow. 

Is anyone watching? I'm not entirely invested, but I can see the appeal . . . and I can see why Nezuko could qualify for "Best Girl" status even if she's become a demon.

Checking in again. We're at a point where Tanjiro has two other demon slayers for company: cowardly Zenitsu (who manages to be a badass only when he's unconscious) and Inosuke (psycho who wields two swords, has a boar's head, and have little manners). I'm getting how the latter is popular. Maybe part of it is that Inosuke runs around shirtless, and he doesn't wear a weirdly tacky jacket?

Anyone else keeping up? Apparently, Tanjiro can swap out water techniques for fire. The two older Slayers looked badass . . . nice contrast from putzes Zenitsu and Inosuke.

Edited by Lantern7

I’m glad we finally met the rest of the Gotei-13 Hashira.  No surprise that they generally don’t like the protagonist.

I’m not a big fan of Zenitsu and Inosuke, mostly because they are both really yelly and a little of that goes a long way.

I enjoyed the plot about the spider kid who wanted to build a family.  It was a nice turnaround that the giant Dad was not the big bad.  They never explained why spider kid was picked for powers by the ultimate big bad, though.