Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Princess Sparkle

S45.E6: Harry Styles

Cut for time:

The real-life Sara Lee social media account manager(s) must be having a day!

Edited by Dejana
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

The "That's The Game" sketch was great. It devolved quickly from the dumb platitudes you see on "gritty" shows about drug dealers--"I was BORN in the game!!!"--to the guy getting schooled on the basics of business principles, which was hilarious. The TV Line reviewer noted that it seemed like a Key & Peele sketch, but maybe they were thinking of the Keanu movie (where the lead characters wound up being forced to pretend to be dangerous gangsters). The pre-tapes have been pretty good this season so far: Grouch, Tasty Toaster Tarts, Corporate Nightmare, and now this sketch were all bang-on imo.

Cold open was wretched. No matter what your political orientation is, making fun of the impeachment hearings should be like shooting fish in a barrel, and that was the best they could come up with?

I quite liked Harry Styles' monologue. He was charming, he wasn't visibly petrified like a lot of first-time hosts, and the bit with messing around with the piano was cute.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Like 5

I LOVED that cute-for-time sketch, Jason. Why did they cut it??!? Yes, I know, for time, but it was so much better than some of the aired sketches.

18 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I love how game Harry is. I was thinking about him in the ballerina outfit in the interstitial photos (or whatever they're called). He's not afraid to look silly.

I didn't even think he looked silly in that tutu; he has a very graceful body, and an androgynous face, really. There's some playful gender-bending going on there.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I LOVED that cute-for-time sketch, Jason. Why did they cut it??!? Yes, I know, for time, but it was so much better than some of the aired sketches.

Maybe they thought they had enough pre-tapes with "Joan" and "That's the Game"?

I thought it was alright. At first I was thinking we have seen videos just like that from Kyle, then I realized  yes, it's a callback to the Dad one with Woody Harrelson. Duh.

I can't be too sad about it being cut for time because Kyle had such a great showcase on Update. Between this and Dairy Guy, I definitely prefer Dairy Guy. I'm really happy that got on.

• Like 3

On 11/16/2019 at 10:54 AM, vb68 said:

Harry reminds me so much of a young Mick Jagger in the clip with Kenan.

Really looking forward to seeing what they do with the Cold open this week. I know. I could very well be disappointed. But this is one of those weeks you really want it to be good.

Except for the personality.  And songs and singing voice. And talent.  

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

That was actually much better than I expected when I heard Harry Styles was hosting.  He's got a pretty deft hand at comedy - he should do more.  His monologue was very funny, and he really committed to the skits.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:19 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

Too bad the show gave a free commercial to that bigot-owned chicken place whose stupid spelling I'm not bothering to Google.

That's Chik Fil A.  The sketch was about Popeye's Chicken.  Two different places.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:33 PM, helenamonster said:

The Popeye's chicken sandwich thing was months ago (I know they've brought it back but the initial craze is long gone)

It was far more recently that someone got killed outside a Popeye's in Maryland (the beginning of this month), although whether it was actually over the chicken sandwich is debatable.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:42 PM, sempervivum said:

I'm surprised it's taken him this long to get into acting; he seems like a natural.

He was in Dunkirk, which came out in 2017.  Although that was most definitely not comedy.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:32 PM, JZL said:

They totally botched the camera work for the CO.  No one seemed to know when Heidi was about fake-feint. 

I thought it worked just fine with her being in the background fainting.

6 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Cold open was wretched. No matter what your political orientation is, making fun of the impeachment hearings should be like shooting fish in a barrel, and that was the best they could come up with?

It wasn't one of their best, but I wouldn't say it was wretched.  More mildly amusing rather than lol funny, imo.

• Like 5

For those with ethical reservations about CFA, you should know that the competition is owned by the Catholic Church.

You think “Pope Yes” is a coincidence? Just like “Canon” towels!

Edited by Guy Caballaro
  • Laugh 2

23 hours ago, msrachelj said:

Except for the personality.  And songs and singing voice. And talent.  

I don't see how Harry's personality seems different from Mick's, to the former's detriment. They both have charm,  charisma, and youthful energy!

• Like 5

I was very jealous that Melissa got to fake stage kiss Jon Hamm!

As someone who was in high school/college during the One Direction craze and didn't get the hype, I actually found Harry Styles a very capable (if not memorable) host and kinda sexy? I love how calm he is and he just seems very empathetic and eager to try. He seems very sweet with the cast too!

• Like 5

On 11/18/2019 at 3:58 PM, Guy Caballaro said:

For those with ethical reservations about CFA, you should know that the competition is owned by the Catholic Church.

You think “Pope Yes” is a coincidence? Just like “Canon” towels!

I am acutely missing the lack of a sarcasm font around here... This made me go, “What?!” at first!

• Laugh 2

On 11/18/2019 at 11:54 AM, vb68 said:

I can't be too sad about it being cut for time because Kyle had such a great showcase on Update. Between this and Dairy Guy, I definitely prefer Dairy Guy. I'm really happy that got on.

An unfortunate thing is that Alex Moffat had his Terry Fink character (the macro-dosing movie reviewer guy) cut from this edition of Update. I would have probably cut Kate's Jeff Sessions piece in favor of that, but there's no way they're ever going to cut Kate out of the show. Hopefully Fink will appear on this week's Update. 

• Like 3

On 11/17/2019 at 1:17 AM, vb68 said:

And a lot of it was due to Harry. I thought he was charming as hell and was committed to a pretty big range of roles.

Sure was.  I was very impressed and surprised.  One of the best non-acting hosts in terms of acting quality...Garth Brooks and Christina Aguilera are two others.

On 11/17/2019 at 3:03 AM, Mystery said:

I did too, and I think he's much better looking without all that hair. 

I was so surprised to see how relatively good-looking he was as the older milk guy.

On 11/17/2019 at 4:47 AM, Pete Martell said:

Chris has so much talent; often I don't feel SNL knows how to use it, but this was an exception.

I actually remarked to myself during the skit that I had not realized how good of an actor Chris was.  He conveyed a lot by just doing subtle motions and expressions.

On 11/17/2019 at 8:13 AM, Pete Martell said:

I don't mind animals in the sketches, per se, it's just when they have them every week I start to think they're used as props a little too often.

Bingo!  I think they count on the unpredictability of the animals to cause a screwup, which will be (to their thinking) hilarious.  

• Like 2

I'm like Joan, who lives alone, with Doug, or in my case, Tic Tac.  The whole thing made me howl with glee.

I've had fifty laughs from (Do It In My) Twin Bed and now I just think Aidy Bryant is brilliant.

• Like 1