Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: I Can't Imagine The Future

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Maybe the mousey blond girl will get so jealous she will stab Nataloon and give us all a break.

Hah!  That would be nice, but now I'm warming up to mousey blond girl so I don't want her to get into trouble over stabbing Nataloon.

I say let April do it after catching her making moves on Dr. Marcel.  Then we get rid of Nataloon and April.  😈

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
On 11/15/2019 at 3:51 AM, Guildford said:

So April is infertile and instead of talking to Choi she just shuts him out & has a torrid affair with *NewRhodes.

And Natalie...I just don't care.

Yeah that will endear April to the Audience RME. If she does that I'll gladly join the Hating April club 

• Love 2

Yay Will!  Finally he has some sense!  I'm so glad Natalie spilled her guts and got her face broke for her efforts. 

I'm so happy that I don't even care about the April/Choi/Marcel triangle anymore.  Whatever.

Speaking of April and Choi, they aren't married amirite?  So why is he so gung ho about having a child now?   This is the only time I'm actually agreeing with April.

I'm glad Maggie's five minute boyfriend didn't die but I still don't care about either of them.  I feel the same way about CeCe, although the farewell party was nice and it was nice to see Robin again.  

I liked the dad and the Down Syndrome son.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Someone from the writers room has been lurking around this message board as well as Facebook and Instagram. That’s the only explanation I have for Will finally locating some sense and self respect. April moved on rather quickly from Choi to Marcel. Was Ethan even out the door yet when she kissed Crockett? At least he had the common sense to ask her if she was sure about what she was doing. It seems like Maggie will get her happy ending after all. I’m still not over her pulling a Natalie on Natalie. Well Caroline it was nice while it lasted.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Nataloon should have jumped off the roof.

Bye, bye CeCe, you won't be missed.

Glad to see Dr. Latham back performing his magic. Hey show, make him a regular.

Neuro doc: great job.

Send Dr. Charles' kid back to The Rookie.

Will finally grew up.

Guess Philip is gone also. Good riddance.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Yes indeed! This show is far from perfect but it treated a Down Syndrome story with balance and sensitivity.

21 minutes ago, preeya said:

Nataloon should have jumped off the roof.

Bye, bye CeCe, you won't be missed.

Glad to see Dr. Latham back performing his magic. Hey show, make him a regular.

Neuro doc: great job.

Send Dr. Charles' kid back to The Rookie.

Will finally grew up.

Guess Philip is gone also. Good riddance.

It was great to see Dr. Latham. And Dr. Abrams got to show a human side when he asked Jordy's father to let him know when his son skates again so he could see him.

I don't get April. She couldn't bring up her fertility issues with Ethan? Perhaps he's been pressing the baby thing too hard with her but if they can't talk honestly about the matter then they don't belong together. Dr. Marcel doesn't know what he's getting into...

I hope Will Halstead really has written finis to his relationship with Natalie. Enough already.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Yay Will!  Finally he has some sense!  I'm so glad Natalie spilled her guts and got her face broke for her efforts. 

I'm so happy that I don't even care about the April/Choi/Marcel triangle anymore.  Whatever.

Speaking of April and Choi, they aren't married amirite?  So why is he so gung ho about having a child now?   This is the only time I'm actually agreeing with April.

I'm glad Maggie's five minute boyfriend didn't die but I still don't care about either of them.  I feel the same way about CeCe, although the farewell party was nice and it was nice to see Robin again.  

YES YES YES!  All of this!

It's a miracle!!  WILL GREW A PAIR!!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
On 11/15/2019 at 4:51 PM, Guildford said:

So April is infertile and instead of talking to Choi she just shuts him out & has a torrid affair with *NewRhodes.

And Natalie...I just don't care.

So it actually did happen? I haven’t watched it yet.

• Love 2

April's not interesting enough a character to be a shitty person and have you continue to root for her.  The actress is beautiful, but so what.  I hope Choi and Will find love elsewhere.

Dr. Marcel is terrible, I don't know who would find him appealing... if the showrunners wanted to shake things up, they should have had April get involved with Dr. Latham.  Unfortunately he wouldn't stoop that low, and it would be a nonsensical twist, but at least he'd be a series regular.

Edited by Sentient Meat
didn't make sense
  • Love 6

The acting on this show reminds me of a high school play.  No, wait, I've seen better acting in high school.  Natalie standing there wringing her hands, saying "I've been unfair to Will."  Seriously?!?!?

Maybe it's the writing.  Who stands around in a public setting saying out loud, "I've been unfair" to someone?  You might think it, but you don't say those words.  It's just weird.

A TV producer once said that TV is about suspension of reality.  You know there are actors on a soundstage but the show is so compelling that your mind willfully ignores that fact.  When I watch this show, I'm painfully aware that these are (terrible) actors saying (moronic) lines written by (awful) writers.  It ruins any enjoyment I might have because I'm thinking about the bad acting/writing vs. being immersed in what's happening.  

I figured the measles guy would recover since they probably weren't going to kill off two people at the same time (CeCe and him). 

As an aside, the neuro doctor character reminds me Spock on Star Trek (hear me out).  He starts out almost as an automaton (no emotion or personality) and slowly is becoming more "human."  Thankfully, this actor can carry it off.  BTW, if you like him, he plays a small role in the new Midway movie.

I was also happy to see the return of Dr. Latham.  He and neuro guy are the only ones I can stand -- and the only ones who can act even with the terrible scripts they're given.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, dogdays2 said:

A TV producer once said that TV is about suspension of reality.  You know there are actors on a soundstage but the show is so compelling that your mind willfully ignores that fact.  When I watch this show, I'm painfully aware that these are (terrible) actors saying (moronic) lines written by (awful) writers.  It ruins any enjoyment I might have because I'm thinking about the bad acting/writing vs. being immersed in what's happening.  

THIS ↑ can be useful for many shows, not just Med.

1 hour ago, dogdays2 said:

I was also happy to see the return of Dr. Latham.  He and neuro guy are the only ones I can stand -- and the only ones who can act even with the terrible scripts they're given.

We should start a petition to get Latham (Ato Essandoh) back as a series regular.

• Love 4

April is so unlikable.  She is angry and arguing with Choi (or someone else) in ever episode.  Or giving a displeased look.  She couldn’t just explain to Choi what was going on?  Talk about other options?  Adoption?  A dog?  Decide not to have kids?   Not on this show.  

Edited by Laurie4H
  • Love 11

How many times have Choi and April broken up and gotten back together already?  They don't seem to have the most stable and committed relationship.  So, yes, of course, what makes perfect sense is that they try to have a baby.

Having "low ovarian reserve" doesn't mean you're going into "early menopause".  But yes, it makes it harder to have a baby which obviously is upsetting for April.  But rather than talk about it to Choi, she hides that huge fact?  Isn't this something that THEY SHOULD TALK ABOUT?  After all, it takes two to have a baby, right?  But instead, she gets pissed off when she sees that Choi is reading an Expectant Father book.  She gets pissed off at him when he suggests to do a semen analysis to make sure that he's not shooting blanks.  I don't understand what is so shameful about her test results.  Yes, it's not ideal.  But you tackle the issue as a couple and overcome it.  Instead, she's choosing to hide it.  Which means they will have continued trouble getting pregnant, since you can't really do in vitro fertilization by yourself without your partner involved.  Which means they will continue to argue.  So instead of going through that slow boil to unhappiness and another obvious breakup, what does stupid April do?  She fast forwards and kisses Crockett.  We all know that when the show skips ahead six weeks and Choi comes back from his deployment that she's going to be pregnant, and there will either be 1) question as to who the dad is or 2) no question that it's Crockett's because she'll only be 5 weeks pregnant.  Gah, April is now the most annoying character on the show.

So creeper ex BF just abandons his daughter because he no longer is hooking up with Natalie.  Wow, winner dad right there.  Loser.  I hope we don't see him again.

Natalie - too late.  Kudos to Will for having some stones.  He didn't reference the pharmaceutical rep or whatever she is, but it sounds like things are going well.  Now they just need to get rid of the stupid blonde med student too.

Down syndrome kid.  A touching storyline.  I don't know though ,call me not PC, but why does it seem like every week there is an underrepresented demographic that they are showcasing?  Transgender is the last one that comes to mind.

Donated kidney.  How horrendous.  I thought it was going to be worse that the mother would have complications during surgery and also die, thus leaving the father with nobody in the span of one hour.  So terrible.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

I like Elsa. I also think that Oliver Platt and S. Epathka Merkerson are fine actors.

Yup.  Also, Elsa has really grown on me since she's warmed up a bit.  I just hope she's gotten over Will and moves on. 

• Love 12

That was a beautiful ending.  Probably the only beautiful ending in this entire stupid show.  Please, please, please don't let Will fold on this.  Natalie deserves to lose him.

The transplant story didn't sit well with me and I'm not sure exactly why.  Probably part of it was the insufferably judgmental April pontificating to Choi that, once again, he is TOTALLY in the wrong and she, and she alone, is the wise and all-knowing one in every medical circumstance.  For me, she's a worse character than Natalie and that's saying something.

I'm undecided on Marcel but as he's proving to be an idiot regarding St. April, I think I probably don't like him.

I still don't know why I watch this crap.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Actually it is her boyfriend that will get the "happy ending".  That is, assuming Maggie hasn't given him one already.

Natalie's lines about how she was being so unfair to Will, were kind of awkward.  I was glad that Will told Natalie to hit the road, best thing that Will has ever done. 

April is that iceberg that goes around destroying relationships.  She has destroyed her relationship with Choi by not being honest with him.  And now she has moved on to Dr.Marcel who is as horny as a jackrabbit.  Any port in a storm I suppose.

OMG. I can't with you 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

April is that iceberg that goes around destroying relationships.  She has destroyed her relationship with Choi by not being honest with him.  And now she has moved on to Dr.Marcel who is as horny as a jackrabbit.  Any port in a storm I suppose.

She also destroyed her season 1 relationship by refusing to talk to him and skipping out on the work of their relationship. Come to think of it, he wanted their child too.

It's hard to know who is more awful, Natalie or April. At this point, I'm leaning toward April because even though they both think they're right all the time and everyone else is wrong, at least Natalie is a doctor. I'm sick of April telling all the doctors, from her boyfriend to her brother to relative strangers, how wrong they are.

7 hours ago, preeya said:

We should start a petition to get Latham (Ato Essandoh) back as a series regular.

They would just put him in a relationship with Natalie or April and destroy him.

I thought Latham's best scenes were with Connor when he was learning to be a real boy. Now that Connor is gone, what is there for him but to be manipulated by a devious woman like Ava?

• Love 5
6 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Isn't this something that THEY SHOULD TALK ABOUT?  After all, it takes two to have a baby, right? 

Absolutely, BUT why can't they discuss it in the privacy of their living quarters and NOT bring all the unnecessary drama into the workplace. Allegedly, they are supposed to be professionals working in a public hospital, not high-schoolers trying out for the debate team.

• Love 7

What I don't understand is why April and Choi are talking about having a child but haven't discussed marriage.  I think deep down they know they aren't compatible as lifetime partners,  but I guess they think they can parent a child together regardless? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

April/Ethan - I don't think they've communicated a single thing about having a baby except for the actual conception.  Literally, nothing else.  I'm 100% positive that once a baby is born, an exchange about something incredibly important would happen, along the lines of -

Ethan:  I know you'll miss working in the ER, but you'll be doing the most important job of staying at home with our child.

April (with a blank look / one of only two expressions she has):  What do you mean?  I'm coming back to work after 6 weeks.  I thought you would stay at home with our kid since you wanted to be a dad so badly.

Ethan:  No, we never discussed that.  (failing to recognize they never discussed a damn thing)

April:  OK, well, while I'm on my maternity leave, I'll look into childcare that can work, oh I don't know, 80 hours a week because of our hospital schedules.

Ethan:  No way is a stranger taking care of our kid.  How could you do this, April?!

April:  How could you do this, Ethan?!

And then they glare and stomp away, unable to have an adult conversation about something they obviously could not have foreseen or planned for??? 

Natalie/Will - They're a total mess except for Will's bout of sanity, finally, but I'm really just going to comment on her son, Owen.  Poor kid.  Natalie drags him back and forth, integrating these adult men deeply into his life, because she's a lunatic and is going to give him more figurative whiplash than Jordy had literally.  And one of these men was Philip, of all people, a crazy dude she really barely knew and the father of a patient with pretty special physical needs.  Owen is a few years away from doing what Brittany Snow's character in "John Tucker Must Die" did with her mom's revolving door of men - don't bother to learn any of their names and just call them all "Chip" or "Skip."  I reallllly hope they never get back together.  Natawill should stay Natawon't.

Abrams/Latham - They aren't a canon couple, but I got really excited when I saw them both in the opening credits, like please at least give them screen time together.  Alas, no.  But I did get more Abrams jargon, so yay for that, and Dr. Latham citing Connor as the reason he was doing the surgery, so double yay for that.  And in the grand rule of threes, I have another yay for Abrams' saying that he wanted to see Jordy compete.  Oh, I hope he brings Dr. Latham to the rink!  Conventional wisdom would call them "Labrams," I guess, but I like the flirtiness of "Samidore."

And Maggie was less SMH this episode, but if she had followed through with her quarantine defiance and gotten her man to his apartment for his final days, he would have died there.  Not that there will ever be any personal reflection on past actions and wrongdoings on this show.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, dogdays2 said:

As an aside, the neuro doctor character reminds me Spock on Star Trek (hear me out).  He starts out almost as an automaton (no emotion or personality) and slowly is becoming more "human."  Thankfully, this actor can carry it off.  BTW, if you like him, he plays a small role in the new Midway movie.

He was also in the season premier of Bull on CBS. And he was almost the complete opposite of how he is on this show. Brennan Brown is good actor.

• Love 2
On 11/17/2019 at 1:37 AM, WinJet0819 said:

I'm hoping Will just lets Natalie go, no matter what she says. She did tell him to get out of her life. This will they or will they not, on and off stuff is just tired. Will has to learn to move on without her. 

OMG!!!! Will did exactly what I was wishing for him to do. He finally realized he had to move on from Natalie. She told him to get out of his life, and he listened. And now he feels free. So please Will, do not fold on this. Stand strong. 

I loved the dad and the son with down syndrome. I felt for him when he was telling his dad "Fix me". And Will, for a change, was a good advocate for the patient. Didn't force any treatment or non-treatment. Just laid out the facts. And though the father chose the non-surgical option at first, Will realized, and helped the father to realize, that maybe it's about doing what the son wants.

As for April. Ugh. She could have saved us all this unnecessary drama if she had just told Ethan what the doctor told her. Was it that hard? Her way of coping is to snap Ethan's head off when he still wants to make sure to do everything right for a baby, and then she drops "I'm not sure if I want a baby" bombshell. And then kissing Dr. Marcel. I really hope they don't ruin the Marcel character with this crap. She just made a mountain out of a molehill, all because she just can't tell Ethan the truth.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

He was also in the season premier of Bull on CBS. And he was almost the complete opposite of how he is on this show. Brennan Brown is good actor.

And he was also Robert Childan in The Man In The High Castle. He totally broke my heart in the final season.

• Love 1
On 11/21/2019 at 7:43 PM, preeya said:

Absolutely, BUT why can't they discuss it in the privacy of their living quarters and NOT bring all the unnecessary drama into the workplace. Allegedly, they are supposed to be professionals working in a public hospital, not high-schoolers trying out for the debate team.

This whole thing just further proves the point about relationships in the workplace. Because now, all the drama that comes with the relationship is dragged into the workplace. And then it's dragged on into the patient care. April thinks Ethan is fighting her on a patient because of what's going on in the relationship. That just should never happen. And as viewers, we're all forced to split time between the actual medical issues at hand, and then the back and forth baby drama between Ethan and April. It takes away from the show.

• Love 4

They *may just make Will likeable again... first he shows growth by not running rough shod over a patient and then his epic 'go fuck yourself' to Natalie. There is a glimmer of hope. (*I know it will be short lived but for now...YAY Will.)

Maybe they should hook Natalie and April up, then we can just ignore them.

I know I was half joking when I said April was infertile and would hook up with *NewRhodes.....but it is kinda sad that the writing on this show is that predictable. 

It's hilarious that they feel the need to make the villain's batshit fucking crazy...first Ava offs herself over her Rhodes obsession & now Natalie's ex is so over the top mustache twirling evil by abandoning his daughter because he can't use her anymore....come on....but I guess the characters are so over the top insane they have to make everyone else certifiable to make their point.

• Love 3

For a change I’m not interested in nitpicking every detail in this episode. April is horrible of course and Choi has been a psycho, but let’s face it, they deserve each other.

I thought it was interesting that during the entire kidney drama that they actually consulted an attorney and an ethics guy with the Administrator... something I’ve screamed about for week after week, wondering how they never did that during all the other craziness. I have to believe the writers finally got the message that this was sorely missing.

However, I’m going to say after many weeks of roasting this hackneyed soap opera, that this episode was one of their best in a long time. The Downs Story, the kidney, Will growing a set and telling Nataloon to bug off... even Maggie’s 5 minute relationship guy surviving, they were good stories. So was the tough, tough call by the heart Doc with the kid, not bad.

Im going to give Med a thumbs up this week.

On 11/20/2019 at 11:45 PM, LittleIggy said:

I cheered when Will told Natalie to eff off, that his life was fine without her. 😆🖕🏻My faves Abrams and Latham were heroes. 🥳 Loved Abrams wanting to go to the boy’s hockey game. 💕

Minor detail, but I don’t think the Downs kid plays hockey, I think he just “skates.” He was wearing a hockey jersey in the video but he wasn’t dressed for or playing hockey.

• Love 1
On 11/23/2019 at 3:16 AM, WinJet0819 said:

This whole thing just further proves the point about relationships in the workplace. Because now, all the drama that comes with the relationship is dragged into the workplace. And then it's dragged on into the patient care. April thinks Ethan is fighting her on a patient because of what's going on in the relationship. That just should never happen. And as viewers, we're all forced to split time between the actual medical issues at hand, and then the back and forth baby drama between Ethan and April. It takes away from the show.

All of this. If they're not mature enough to keep their personal and professional lives from intersecting, then they should not be together. I don't like April, but Ethan was pushing the issue a little too hard especially at work. I do believe that Ethan's sarcasm in the meeting was directed at April, which is why she snapped at him. 

Let's hope her kissing Dr. Marcel plays out like Haley and Adam over on PD. They both continue to work together and act like their relationship never happened.

• Love 2

The title of this episode alone is telling:   I Can't Imagine the Future.   Truer words were never spoken.    I can't imagine this show will have a future if it continues down this trite and ridiculous path, especially with these last 3-4 episodes.   I'm late again to the party and most has been said which I agree:

CeCe - looks like this is her swan song.  Sorry, but talk about staying at the party too long.  This storyline in no way made up for the departure of Connor--if that's what the writers were trying to do.

Chexel (Choi/Sexton/Marcel) - I've begged for several episodes not to go there but yeah, the predictable seems to have won out.   Marcel certainly didn't look like he was "into" that kiss from her; he looked more annoyed and very non-committal, LOL.   It's just ludicrous to venture into this ridiculous triangle and April afraid/apprehensive to say anything to Ethan, the man she loves, about early menopause/IVF? I've already talked about this ad nauseum previously, so my only words:  just plain stupid and despise this story arc

Manstead - Finally, Will has moved on but I'm sure the WTWT will eventually come back into play.   Just let these two move on.

The rest -

Of course the DS kid should have had the less invasive "safe" surgery but you knew Abrams would save the day with the riskier surgery and all is well.   

Maggie/Ben - Give me a break; talk about unimaginative, cliched and just stale - a miraculous recovery--all due to Maggie, I'm sure, with her loving touch and supporting words.   

Kidney transplant patients - tough call and I was a bit torn but agreed with Marcel although understood Choi's point.  But, yeah, it was already a "done deal" with the permission so you had to go with that option as painful as it was.

Bright spot - Dr. Latham and mention of "what would Connor do"   Glad to see him albeit briefly!

Relieved the Fall/Winter Finale is here; I couldn't take another episode this year--maybe not even next year!!!    Happy Holidays to all!

On 11/20/2019 at 10:02 PM, spunky said:

Someone from the writers room has been lurking around this message board as well as Facebook and Instagram.

Agreed - have said that for some time (and I'm not even on social media!) but I definitely think they are reading forums/fan boards because strangely, things do seem to happen at our suggestions😉

Edited by cathmed
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, cathmed said:

Agreed - have said that for some time (and I'm not even on social media!) but I definitely think they are reading forums/fan boards because strangely, things do seem to happen at our suggestions😉

Sadly they decided to ignore everyone asking them not to create the triangle of doom that is April/Ethan/Crockett.

• Love 5

* I liked CeCe and Dr. Charles so for once I was actually moved by this show. Her telling him she wanted him to remarry and him responding with "but I'm happily married to you" was both funny and heartbreaking

* I felt a kinship for the hospital attorney when they needed an answer on the kidney and it had to be right away. Those aren't questions that get addressed all the time so it's not like you can just quickly look up the answer. And the attorney knows it's a legitimate rush--but doesn't make it any easier.

* just hoping Natalie and Will stay away from each other. Please.

• Love 2
On 11/25/2019 at 5:31 PM, spunky said:

Sadly they decided to ignore everyone asking them not to create the triangle of doom that is April/Ethan/Crockett.

Yes they did but I'm hopeful this will have a quick ending in the return next year 🙏.  Chexel (Choi/Sexton/Marcel) should have never been.

• Love 3
On 11/25/2019 at 5:31 PM, spunky said:

The problem is that they seem to think that April is this wonderful woman that men are falling over themselves to be with, just like Natalie, and neither of them are.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, statsgirl said:

The problem is that they seem to think that April is this wonderful woman that men are falling over themselves to be with, just like Natalie, and neither of them are.

I think it's in the #OneChicago showrunner's guide...all three shows do it.

• Love 2