Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

wknt3

S10.E08: Friends in High Places

Recommended Posts

Quote

While Henry works as an investigative consultant for child services, he and Danny butt heads over a case involving a man who is volatile toward his wife. Also, Frank is caught in the middle of an ongoing battle between the NYPD and the FDNY.

Share this post


Link to post

No, grandpa, Danny's job is not to facilitate custody kidnappings, which is pretty much what I see happened.

No, Jamie.  I love you, but family is not more important than protecting civil rights.  The ends do not justify the means.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

If the soon-to-be ex husband just heard from the wife that she wanted to see him, just ask to see the text, Danny. Jeesch. Do I have to do all the thinking for you?

That was a convoluted story.

And the new mayor thinking Erin wants in his pants so he preemptively shows her the family photo? Eww. 

What has happened to this show?

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post

Good grief.

Now Gramps, who's usually as hard-nosed and narrow-minded as Sid, has discovered his inner bleeding heart.

With his partner missing, Danny is freed up to tail a parolee, because that's what detectives do when there's a law enforcement lull.

Gramps not only knows where the parolee took his kid, he also knows which seats they're sitting in.

Frank makes a grand entrance as he crashes the fire commissioner's birthday party. (The Jets and the Sharks minus the song and dance.) I was afraid that he was going to come up with something lame like a NYPD/NYFD bake sale and car wash benefiting widows of fallen cops and firemen. 

Eddie is now on days, proving that the decision to put her on a different shift than Jamie's was the right one.

By-the-book Jamie declares that family comes before doing things by the book.

39 minutes ago, rhys said:

What has happened to this show?

Like most prime-time shows, it's lasting beyond its writers' abilities to create fresh, believable stories.

  • Love 11

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, hearing Jamie saying 'family comes first' is a new low for this show.

Having seen clips from hockey matches between the FDNY and NYPD I guess that story wasn't quite as made up as one would hope. And of course an apology à la Frank ends in a gesture implying sooner or later his help will be needed again.

Grandpa and Danny's plot could have been interesting had it not been written by a sledgehammer. 

I'm sure Erin's ex will somehow ruing her run - that's what Peter Herrman does when he's not busy stirring up shipping fights on 'Younger'.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

The guy who played the father in the domestic, didn’t catch his name in the credits,  but he looked like one of the many day champions on Jeopardy. 

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I'm sure Erin's ex will somehow ruing her run - that's what Peter Herrman does when he's not busy stirring up shipping fights on 'Younger'.

This made me laugh so much! Though I am assuming Nicki will do something to ruin everything. Of course Erin will win anyway because she is a Reagan! I like Peter Herrman so I tend to root for him on this show, because I like that he is not as sanctimonious as the rest of the Reagan family.

My unpopular opinion is that I was glad there was very little Anthony in this episode. I was indifferent to him for awhile, but there was an episode a few seasons ago where he was in the hospital and his ex-wife and daughter visited him. The ex said something that all Anthony talked about was how great Erin was. I think I got eye strain from rolling my eyes so hard.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

I still want a spinoff about the FDNY with Dan Lauria as the fire commissioner.  It could be called "Red Bloods."  

9 hours ago, rhys said:

And the new mayor thinking Erin wants in his pants so he preemptively shows her the family photo? Eww. 

I thought that was just to tell the audience that the mayor wasn't interested in Erin for any reason besides what he claimed.  

  • Love 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/16/2019 at 12:31 AM, rhys said:

If the soon-to-be ex husband just heard from the wife that she wanted to see him, just ask to see the text, Danny. Jeesch. Do I have to do all the thinking for you?

I think, but don't hold me to it as this was confusing, that Danny sent the fake text message to lure the dad to the mom's apartment in order to have an excuse to arrest him.  Pops caught wind of it, knew it was fake by checking with the mom (eliminating her as a suspect in the fake text sending) and threatened Danny to let dad go.  That's why Danny was there ready to arrest, he set the trap. The point of the story was that Danny was looking to arrest the dad and pops thought he was a good guy and pops was right.  Of course, dad wants to take son to Rangers game is seen as a good thing, even though he could have asked permission or at least let the mom know, so as to not appear to be a kidnapper.  We will never see pops doing this "job" ever again, IMO.

Wasn't it a couple of episodes back where Jamie held off on reporting someone he should have to internal affairs and was seen as being prudent?  Here, he rushed to report.  Wouldn't Jamie bring his suspicion to his precinct supervisor, a captain or lieutenant, and not just report straight to IA?  Why is Sergeant Jamie the sole arbiter in the precinct?  No realization from this story that Jamie and Eddie working together in the same precinct leads to problems like this.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

Wasn't it a couple of episodes back where Jamie held off on reporting someone he should have to internal affairs and was seen as being prudent?  Here, he rushed to report.  Wouldn't Jamie bring his suspicion to his precinct supervisor, a captain or lieutenant, and not just report straight to IA?  Why is Sergeant Jamie the sole arbiter in the precinct?  No realization from this story that Jamie and Edie working together in the same precinct leads to problems like this.

THIS ↑

Just another reason that "involved couples" should not be working together or as supervisor/subordinate.

Also, didn't he, Jamie, jump the chain of command by going directly to IAB?  Isn't there protocol for an investigation within the precinct before going to IAB?

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, mojito said:

Now Gramps, who's usually as hard-nosed and narrow-minded as Sid, has discovered his inner bleeding heart.

This bothered me, to the point where I am convinced some key lines of dialogue ended up on the cutting room floor. I spent the entire episode waiting for the story that would explain why Henry was acting out of character, something from his past that caused him to act the way he did, and we didn't get it. 

13 hours ago, mojito said:

Frank makes a grand entrance as he crashes the fire commissioner's birthday party. (The Jets and the Sharks minus the song and dance.) I was afraid that he was going to come up with something lame like a NYPD/NYFD bake sale and car wash benefiting widows of fallen cops and firemen. 

Love the West Side Story reference. Taking a dip in the shallow end of the pool, a car wash would brilliant, like the calendars but in real life.  

I love that this week we have Danny admitting his is Henry's mini-me. 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

Danny flabbergasted me twice this episode. First, by flat out entrapping the father so that he could arrest him (that was over the line, even for someone as reckless as Danny. How could he think that that would ever fly?) and then, by acting all nonchalant about the father kidnapping his son just because he took him to a Rangers game. "Someone just let the mom know he's safe. Oh, and that we'll be letting his dad kidnap him for the rest of the game. She should be cool with that, right?" 

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Brian Cronin said:

First, by flat out entrapping the father so that he could arrest him (that was over the line, even for someone as reckless as Danny. How could he think that that would ever fly?)

Now I wonder why I even bother watching this show.  I clearly zoned out, because I don't even remember that happening.

  • Love 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/17/2019 at 7:41 AM, Katy M said:

Now I wonder why I even bother watching this show.  I clearly zoned out, because I don't even remember that happening.

Ditto for me.  I zone out on at least one story line per week.  This week it was all four.  Why is Erin running for DA?  This seems to be manufactured drama.

I skipped over the Eddie/Jamie IAB business. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/17/2019 at 3:20 AM, Brian Cronin said:

Danny flabbergasted me twice this episode. First, by flat out entrapping the father so that he could arrest him (that was over the line, even for someone as reckless as Danny. How could he think that that would ever fly?) and then, by acting all nonchalant about the father kidnapping his son just because he took him to a Rangers game. "Someone just let the mom know he's safe. Oh, and that we'll be letting his dad kidnap him for the rest of the game. She should be cool with that, right?" 

Well the first part was SOP for Danny "Laws Don't Apply to Me" Reagan. At least we were spared the scene where he barges into Erin's office and throws a tantrum because she released the suspect that he had no admissible evidence on. Thanks Gramps!

The second part he was probably he was probably thinking "Score! Free Ranger tickets. Gotta keep our eyes on the game… I mean suspect after all."

Anyways why was he on this case in the first place? Isn't he on the Major Case Squad or whatever the NYPD calls it? This seemed like a simple domestic dispute that patrol officers normally handle. At least make one of the couple a politician or relative of a law enforcement official so it sounds somewhat plausible he would be investigating.

Likewise, why is Eddie now working days and is partnered with a new senior officer? Just throw in a line that she was filling in for the other officer's partner who called in sick. Sheesh the writers aren't putting in any effort at all this season.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

This episode was insulting to any victim of domestic violence! WTF!
It was not clear Danny sent the text, imo, but I thought the son might have sent it, however, people under protection orders are INFORMED very clearly that the other party CANNOT give you permission to violate the protective order.  The tolerant attitude by grandpa was pathetic. That kind of behavior was wrong in the 50’s and even more so now.  Grandpa has no business protecting kids. Grade F. Blue Bloods should be ashamed.
 

I thought I liked this show. Lol

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size