Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Beauty Queen

• Start Topic

Jules pretends to be totally over her breakup with Jeremy at his sister’s bachelorette party. Madison exaggerates the maturity level of her friends to impress her older boyfriend with a formal dinner party. Both girls learn what happens when you try to put too much concealer on your life.

Dropping on Hulu on Friday, November 15, 2019.

My favorite joke of the season so far is probably Madison admitting to her boyfriend that "I might have exaggerated my friends maturity" as Stella throws coupons at Steve the very literate stripper like dollar bills and Izzy asks him if she can send him money on Vinmo. There are a lot of jokes about the culture of millennial women on this show, and as a millennial woman, that one really landed for me. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Ooh, Dr. Luka!

FYI, Madison - the guy you were watching was paddleboarding, not surfing.

Even though Madison is a bit exaggerated to me as a character, I understood her desire to present a better version of herself (and her friends) to a new boyfriend. She just needs to chill out a little bit. Luckily Colin was really easygoing about everything, from the giant penis and the Boston Market chicken to Steve grinding up on him.

Ha, I hope that Steve the stripper and Colin stay in touch. Stella making it rain with those coupons we all get in the mail totally cracked me up!

I fear Wes the vet is just being set up to get shot down because Jules isn't over Jeremy yet.

I like that Ramona wanted to keep Jules as her bridesmaid and that she knows her brother is being an idiot.

How old are Jules, Madison, and Stella supposed to be? In reality, they're in their 30s so Madison dating a doctor who's in his 40s isn't a huge deal. The girls went to college together and Jules was with Jeremy for five years so they're at least in their late 20 but off the top of my head, I don't remember any specific references about their ages.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
11 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ooh, Dr. Luka!

FYI, Madison - the guy you were watching was paddleboarding, not surfing.

Even though Madison is a bit exaggerated to me as a character, I understood her desire to present a better version of herself (and her friends) to a new boyfriend. She just needs to chill out a little bit. Luckily Colin was really easygoing about everything, from the giant penis and the Boston Market chicken to Steve grinding up on him.

Ha, I hope that Steve the stripper and Colin stay in touch. Stella making it rain with those coupons we all get in the mail totally cracked me up!

I fear Wes the vet is just being set up to get shot down because Jules isn't over Jeremy yet.

I like that Ramona wanted to keep Jules as her bridesmaid and that she knows her brother is being an idiot.

How old are Jules, Madison, and Stella supposed to be? In reality, they're in their 30s so Madison dating a doctor who's in his 40s isn't a huge deal. The girls went to college together and Jules was with Jeremy for five years so they're at least in their late 20 but off the top of my head, I don't remember any specific references about their ages.

I can’t remember the scene exactly, but Madison tells Jules that her boyfriend is older. Jules asks for clarification, and Madison says he’s 47. Jules says 32(?) and 47 is not a big deal.

All that to say, yes, I believe their characters are early 30s.

Which I love because (1) I can totally relate, and (2) it’s nice that they’re playing their actual age group instead of going younger like shows of this type tend to do. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, link417 said:

I can’t remember the scene exactly, but Madison tells Jules that her boyfriend is older. Jules asks for clarification, and Madison says he’s 47. Jules says 32(?) and 47 is not a big deal.

At the end of the third episode when the four girls are sitting around the pool in the aftermath of Joey Lawrence's magical death, Madison tells them that Colin is 45 and Stella says, "That's not a big enough age difference for this to be such a problem" (but she doesn't mention Madison's age).

Apparently he had an unseen birthday during the fourth episode because in the fifth episode when Madison is freaking out about making dinner for him, she says, "I've got to cook something that 46 year olds eat.

But so far I don't remember any of the girls' ages being mentioned yet. I might have zoned out and missed it though.

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

At the end of the third episode when the four girls are sitting around the pool in the aftermath of Joey Lawrence's magical death, Madison tells them that Colin is 45 and Stella says, "That's not a big enough age difference for this to be such a problem" (but she doesn't mention Madison's age).

Apparently he had an unseen birthday during the fourth episode because in the fifth episode when Madison is freaking out about making dinner for him, she says, "I've got to cook something that 46 year olds eat.

But so far I don't remember any of the girls' ages being mentioned yet. I might have zoned out and missed it though.

That makes Esther’s quote about her twenties (when lamenting that she had never had a threesome) make sense — I guess they are supposed to be twenty-somethings. Disappointing if true, but not surprising.

This episode made me cringe.  Watching an old man hang out with much younger women makes me cringe.  Seeing Madison and this older man together makes me cringe,  I love this show, but this episode made me cringe a lot.

• Love 3

What I liked about Dr. Luka and everyone (except Madison) interacting was that they were just being themselves. Dr. Luka didn't try to act like a cool 20 something hipster or pretend to know who The Weeknd was. Izzy and Stella disregarded Madison's instructions to talk about sophisticated things and just talked about normal stuff at dinner. And despite that, Dr. Luka and Madison's friends were getting along fine (which is as it should be - I have friends who are my age but I also have friends who are ten years older as well as friends who are ten years younger and we all manage to hang out, have conversations, and get along).

• Love 2

I've been enjoying this series, but I feel like this episode is the one where everything clicked.

We saw Turtle and Cat Lady in the same scene, so we know they're not the same person (creature?). Also, was this the first time Turtle was established as "he"? Before this, I was wondering if Cat Lady was a manifestation of Turtle.

And Dr. Luka - has he aged about a year since ER ended a decade ago?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 11/19/2019 at 9:53 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I would think Ramona should leave it up to Jules.  I know that's not very realistic, as the bride notoriously controls everything, but why would Jules want to attend that wedding.  She only felt obligated because Ramona wanted her there.  That's a lot of freaking time and money to spend for something you don't want to do.

• Love 1

Fun episode.  Along with the spot-on millennial references, the part where the maid of honor tells everyone they owe her $500+ for all the bachelorette party stuff was fabulous.  

Dr. Luka needs to lighten up on the hair dye.  A little salt and pepper would suit him well. 

On 11/24/2019 at 5:55 PM, SoMuchTV said:

We saw Turtle and Cat Lady in the same scene, so we know they're not the same person (creature?). Also, was this the first time Turtle was established as "he"? Before this, I was wondering if Cat Lady was a manifestation of Turtle.

OMG!  I never even thought about Turtle and Cat Lady being the same person. 

I'm really enjoying this show.  I like the addition of the cat doctor.  I hope he sticks around.  Hated him on Criminal Minds, but really like him here.

• Love 1