Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ElectricBoogaloo

S04.E09: So Long, Marianne

On 11/20/2019 at 12:11 PM, Jillybean said:

Now that we know Toby has gone so far as to be bringing his own tempeh to Thanksgiving dinner and trying to get other people "in the box," it wouldn't be that surprising if he becomes embarrassed by Kate's weight problem, or at least, finds himself less attracted to her.

I'm a vegetarian.  If I was going to that dinner I would bring my own tempeh and nut cheese.   I have no interest in stuffed carcass.  Actually I would never go.  I would puke all over the table due to the smell of meat.  Plus, I wouldn't want to be around most of those horrible people anyway.

On 11/20/2019 at 12:11 PM, Jillybean said:

Kate's alone a lot because Toby works full-time and Kate's a SAHM. It comes with the territory. His Crossfit time is on top of his job.

Toby needs to workout and get in shape due to his heart attack.  His job at work is sitting on his ass work.   If he were at home, he would be sitting on his ass a lot too, when he isn't helping taking care of Jack.  He needs to exercise.  If he didn't he would probably overeat. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I'm a vegetarian.  If I was going to that dinner I would bring my own tempeh and nut cheese.   I have no interest in stuffed carcass.  Actually I would never go.  I would puke all over the table due to the smell of meat.  Plus, I wouldn't want to be around most of those horrible people anyway.

Toby needs to workout and get in shape due to his heart attack.  His job at work is sitting on his ass work.   If he were at home, he would be sitting on his ass a lot too, when he isn't helping taking care of Jack.  He needs to exercise.  If he didn't he would probably overeat. 

If he needs to work out for cardiac health, CrossFit is the wrong choice. It is not healthy or safe.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1

37 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:
20/2019 at 12:11 PM, Jillybean said:

Kate's alone a lot because Toby works full-time and Kate's a SAHM. It comes with the territory. His Crossfit time is on top of his job.

He mentioned trying to go during lunch; he’s not always taking more time away from Kate and Jack.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

On 11/20/2019 at 9:23 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Just when I'm feeling positive about Beth, she goes and says the silliest things.  So, she REALLY wasn't happy that Deja's mother was doing well.  Petty jealousy of the the drug addicted woman with a poor background, who is living without her only daughter......really? 

But Beth admitted that her feelings were "evil" and she seemed to feel guilty about having them.  A person can't control their feelings, only their actions.  And she was kind to Shauna and supportive of Deja when Deja felt slighted.

• Like 24

On 11/20/2019 at 10:34 AM, Cowgirl said:

Oh!  This is interesting.  I took Nicky's crying to mean that he thought Jack DID erase him, because Jack never mentioned that his interpretation of the song was from Nicky. 

I took it the same way

• Like 9

1 hour ago, debraran said:

The" Crossfit is a cult"articles are all over the Internet and some are serious and some are lighter but the community and closeness is paramount. Many articles on how Crossfit killed a relationship or marriage. They have articles on Crossfit affairs, you share and talk much more than most marriages or relationships etc. No doubt at all, the writers are not using Toby going to the gym which would be fine but Crossfit for a reason. I've witnessed it personally and know it actually turned me off the place instead of drawing me in as it does some.

I learn something new here sometimes -- last episode it was that there are more people who don't like bananas than I ever would have thought, now it's the Crossfit thing.  I had no idea, just looked at Wikipedia and don't need to go more into it, but seems like a more extreme thing for Toby, busy working and bringing in new clients and new dad to a special needs baby, to be doing than just looking out for his physical and mental health.  I agree they are writing it in for a specific reason.  Maybe just as a flash point between he and Kate, or maybe he gets injured and is back to square one.  I can't remember if he is his slimmed down self in the flash forward, but it didn't strike me that way at the time.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, tinderbox said:

When Deja asked her mother if she'd like to join her to bake some cookies, I almost lost it.  IF any member of my family would attempt to bake cookies during the time I was preparing the Thanksgiving meal I would lose it.

Swarms of people happily cooking together seems to be one of those special TV possibilities like  being able to drive using your left ear as an eye while you look at your passenger and discuss heavy problems.  In movies we usually see someone standing at an island chopping celery for hours so I guess that would be okay.

No matter how big your kitchen is you usually have just one sink and one oven.  Trying to concentrate on what you're doing while moving out of the way so someone can get the flour out of the cabinet, or telling someone where the baking powder is, or apologizing for not having a garlic press.  I've been there.  My relatives have learned to stay on the sofa and drink until I call them.  I can see the benefit of a person who is willing to assume the role of  kitchen wench,*  taking orders and washing pans, but the huge mess and oven space in baking cookies? Never.  That should have done the day before or not at all.

*What my brothers called me while we were growing up.

• Like 10
  • Laugh 4

Yes, I would not have been pleased if a guest decided to commandeer my kitchen like that.  She didn’t even check first with Beth or Miguel.

Hubby reminds me that years ago all the boys did that to me while I was trying to make dinner until I started yelling, “Everybody, out of my kitchen!”  I didn’t know he was on the phone with his boss, who heard me.  Boss asked if hubby needed to take a minute to help. Hubby responded, “Nope.  She means everybody.  I can assure you boys are out and I am not going in.”  Boss laughed and laughed.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 7

On 11/20/2019 at 1:26 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Not her phone, but I assume there's a way they can look up her name and find an emergency contact there, since this is for a medical reason. I assume it would be under Rebecca's official records that any law enforcement officer could access in a case like this.

I was in law enforcement and unless the person had previous contact with police (during which a report was filed or information entered into the computer) there is no such database for the average citizen.

Edited by stefinny · Reason: ETA...Sorry, I just saw "Cowgirl" addressed this in an earlier post.
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Re: Kate signing the police report as “Pearson” - that could just be the Pearson family conceit that the Pearson family name is so special that everyone should be named Pearson. Like The Ramones. 

• Laugh 7

2 hours ago, Higgins said:

If he needs to work out for cardiac health, CrossFit is the wrong choice. It is not healthy or safe.

I am not a doctor.  I have no way of knowing what is safe or not safe for Toby to do for exercise. 😀  I do hope the writers go into further detail in terms of Toby's exercising in a future episode.  If CrossFit is a problem, maybe the writers will address it.

2 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I am not a doctor.  I have no way of knowing what is safe or not safe for Toby to do for exercise. 😀  I do hope the writers go into further detail in terms of Toby's exercising in a future episode.  If CrossFit is a problem, maybe the writers will address it.

I am an RN. A little research will tell you yourself that extreme exercise is cardiotoxic. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 3
  • Surprise 2

21 minutes ago, stefinny said:

I was in law enforcement and unless the person had previous contact with police (during which a report was filed or information entered into the computer) there is no such database for the average citizen.

Just curious how they make notifications of next of kin when there is a fatality?  I'm thinking there are databases they can reference.  A friend once forgot she had switched bags/wallets for a trip and didn't have her required ID at the airport, just a Sam's Club card or the like, and the accommodating TSA supervisor cleared her by checking her identity via whatever databases they have access to.  Lucky, wouldn't recommend trying it because I doubt it's done often, but law enforcement must be able track people in ways beyond their own police reports.

27 minutes ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Re: Kate signing the police report as “Pearson” - that could just be the Pearson family conceit that the Pearson family name is so special that everyone should be named Pearson. Like The Ramones. 

Well, if I had to spend Thanksgiving with that family, I'd wanna be sedated...

• Like 3
  • Laugh 12

I haven't read your comments yet. This was the best episode for me in a really long time. I didn't know it was the last for this season. I liked that we remained in the present and we got a glimpse of the future as well. I am predicting that Deja's mom is Kevin's fiance who is expecting his baby and that they got together on the Thanksgiving day we saw in this episode that's why the 9 months till birthday were mentioned and that's why Randall is not talking with Kevin, because he got together with his adopted daugher's mom. It was predictable that Toby would find another woman. He was annoying with all this cross fit talk. If I were Kate I am not sure I would even want to still be with him after such a drastic personality change. I don't care about Nick or Rebecca stories, I am mostly interested in the big three' s stories.

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1

18 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

guess I don't think anything is wrong with venting to someone else about what's going on.  Like I said it happens in 12 step groups all the time.  Sometimes you can't just tell someone what's happening, at least right away.  I'm not from the school of, your partner is your other half.  Like they say, it takes a village.

I agree.  And sometimes, you need a reality check -- so you talk to friends and get their responses.  If they are really friends, they won't just automatically side with you, they may tell you you're overreacting.  This can actually be beneficial vs. just lashing out at your spouse or holding a grudge. 

And also, I really, really hope Kevin's fiancee is someone we haven't met yet.  I was never sold on him and Sophie, and think &they've dipped into that well enough already.  Zoey I liked, but I also kinda want her to stay with her conviction that she never wants to be a mom [I think it is a perfectly valid choice, yet most tv/movies always have the woman having a big change of heart]. And I thought he and Cassidy had zero chemistry and really want her to have healed her rift with her husband and son.  So, yeah, let it me somebody new and awesome. 

Edited by AzraeltheCat
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, AzraeltheCat said:

And also, I really, really hope Kevin's fiancee is someone we haven't met yet.  I was never sold on him and Sophie, and think &they've dipped into that well enough already.  Zoey I liked, but I also kinda want her to stay with her conviction that she never wants to be a mom [I think it is a perfectly valid choice, yet most tv/movies always have the woman having a big change of heart]. And I thought he and Cassidy had zero chemistry and really want her to have healed her rift with her husband and son.  So, yeah, let it me somebody new and awesome. 

Agree with this 100% and even  worse than any of those would be Deja's mother.  She's shown herself to be insensitive on more than one occasion and at Thanksgiving?  Barging into Beth's kitchen to make cookies without asking first and that whole tone deaf story about all the fun she's having and how great her life is now that Deja's gone?  She's awful.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

by checking her identity via whatever databases they have access to.

I've been through this. They check whether I was NOT on some no-fly list.
But co-worker (who also watches TIU) just googled my name and found my current address, my husband's name, towns I used to live in, and my phone number (albeit, a landline we disconnected a few years ago). Also, when my MIL wandered a couple of miles from her Memory Care Unit (yes, several employees were fired), the police put her picture up on their Facebook page, and others identified her. So there are ways to find out who someone is and where they live.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Toby was acting like a child.  A stroke victim is able to get a baby to eat solid food and Toby gets all butt hurt making it all about himself.

Kate is the one that brought up the subject to Gregory that Jack wasn't eating solid food.   That's her fault.  I am not about to blame a stroke victim for getting baby Jack to eat solid food, a stroke victim in his own house when this happened.  Did she tell him that Toby wanted to be there to see the baby eating solid food for the first time?  Not that I recall.   

The issue is how Kate handled her situation with Toby. She did it in a hurtful way, and that's a legitimate thing for Toby to be angry about. Waiting to tell him the truth until after he'd publicly celebrated his first time being present for one of his baby's "firsts" was just cruel. She chose to keep her mouth shut when it happened, so she should have kept it shut.

And I don't think a mother mentioning that her kid hasn't eaten solid food yet is an invitation to put whatever you want in the baby's mouth. He should have asked, and given her more than a second to react.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1

Agree with this 100% and even  worse than any of those would be Deja's mother.  She's shown herself to be insensitive on more than one occasion and at Thanksgiving?  Barging into Beth's kitchen to make cookies without asking first and that whole tone deaf story about all the fun she's having and how great her life is now that Deja's gone?  She's awful.

Deja invited Shauna to make cookies. Shauna did not barge into the kitchen. Beth didn't seem to mind, so it was probably arranged in advance.  Shauna was tone deaf about going on about her great life, but she probably meant it to reassure Deja. Deja used to feel responsible for her, so she's letting Deja know that she shouldn't be worried about her. Shauna has never been good at seeing things through Deja's eyes. 

I looked up a screenshot of Kevin's son from last season.  

That kid had Kid Kevin's mannerisms to the point I almost thought it was the same actor. Way to make an impression with 5 seconds or air time. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 1

6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Toby was acting like a child.  A stroke victim is able to get a baby to eat solid food and Toby gets all butt hurt making it all about himself.

I think Toby was mad that Kate lied to him about it, not that the baby had his first solid food because the neighbor gave it to him.  If Kate had told him when he got home from work that Jack had eaten some avocado that day, they could have celebrated together.  Toby might have been a little disappointed, but he wouldn't have gotten mad about it.  The problem is Kate didn't tell him, and then didn't tell him when Toby fed him some avocado, so turned it into a lie that he believed.  The lying is the problem.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, kili said:

Deja invited Shauna to make cookies. Shauna did not barge into the kitchen. Beth didn't seem to mind

But how did they bake cookies when the turkey was in the oven?

1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

And I don't think a mother mentioning that her kid hasn't eaten solid food yet is an invitation to put whatever you want in the baby's mouth. He should have asked,

Being told the baby hadn't eaten solid food yet would only lead me to assume that it would either reject or accept the offer of the solid food. Asking first would only be appropriate if one accepts that eating solid food is a Incredibly Joyous Occasion that should only be experienced by both parents at the same time, a proposition I think most of us on this forum have rejected.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

Considering all the food allergies people now have, asking first is the only correct response to being told a baby hasn’t eaten solid foods yet.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

20 hours ago, tinderbox said:

When Deja asked her mother if she'd like to join her to bake some cookies, I almost lost it.  IF any member of my family would attempt to bake cookies during the time I was preparing the Thanksgiving meal I would lose it.  Yes, my kitchen is fairly small and almost every space is being utilized during Thanksgiving preparations, but so is Beth's.  Beth had the patience of a saint in this episode, for a number of reasons.

This!  I forgot to mention it previously but I 100% agree! Okay, so Deja was excited to do something with her mom, but if her mom was thinking about it, she might have said, "Oh gee Deja, I'd love to do that with you, but Beth is pretty busy in the kitchen right now.  Why don't we do soemthing together in another room so we're not in Beth's way?"

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Like 9

But how did they bake cookies when the turkey was in the oven?

It looked to me like they just threw a cookie sheet on a rack above the turkey. It shocked me a little because I thought that would mess up the cooking of the turkey (now it's getting shielded heat from above) and will probably cook the cookies strangely (burning the tops before the bottoms are cooked because it is too close to the top and shielded on the bottom).  I've always dreamt of having two wall ovens so I could do something like make a turkey and bake cookies at the same time. but maybe I've been dreaming for nothing (just like Dorothy in Oz, I had the power all along). Can one really cook cookies and turkey at the same time?

Asking first would only be appropriate if one accepts that eating solid food is a Incredibly Joyous Occasion that should only be experienced by both parents at the same time, a proposition I think most of us on this forum have rejected.

I wouldn't give somebody's dog a cookie without asking first. I'm certainly not going to feed anybody's first-born, month-old baby who hasn't started solids anything before getting very firm permission.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

If you google the words "crossfit divorce", and "CrossFit dangers", you'll find a lot of info on the cult phenomenon that is CrossFit.  It's a perfect choice for the writers to have chosen for Toby, in that it creates such an insular community, that anyone outside of it is seen as....well, an outsider.

It's a perfect writing tool to provide a wedge between Toby and Kate.

It's also perfect for Toby, because all the actor has to do is take off his fat suit and look like he got buff from CrossFit, whereas Chrissy Metz (Kate) obviously cannot do that.  So it's a perfect storyline for the writers to create discord, in that it has all the elements they need for Toby to become obsessed with something outside his marriage, possibly develop relationships outside the marriage (even platonic ones, that don't include his wife), and incite Kate's insecurities.

I applaud the writers, as it's a brilliant choice for a storyline springboard.

Also:  Kate wasn't trying to be nosy by viewing Toby's texts.  He asked her to grab his phone to take a photo, and the group text popped up.  It happens.  In Kate's defense, she didn't (yet, anyway, maybe we'll see later) scroll through the texts, or try to view his phone when Toby wasn't around, to see the full context.  Although I suspect that's coming.

Edited by Sterling
  • Like 9
  • Useful 1

5 hours ago, AzraeltheCat said:

I agree.  And sometimes, you need a reality check -- so you talk to friends and get their responses.  If they are really friends, they won't just automatically side with you, they may tell you you're overreacting.  This can actually be beneficial vs. just lashing out at your spouse or holding a grudge. 

I'm not sure how it happened, but the post you quoted here wasn't mine. Weird.

post.JPG

• Surprise 1

13 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Kate is the one that brought up the subject to Gregory that Jack wasn't eating solid food.   That's her fault.  I am not about to blame a stroke victim for getting baby Jack to eat solid food, a stroke victim in his own house when this happened.  Did she tell him that Toby wanted to be there to see the baby eating solid food for the first time?  Not that I recall.   

Thank you.  The whole Avocadogate thing is ridiculous.  Thank God Baby Jack is eating the food.  Don't worry about who sees what "first" first.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

On 11/21/2019 at 12:50 PM, Cowgirl said:

Rebecca may still be driving in 9 months and forgot that she drove to town. (Though I would be willing to bet she won't be allowed to drive anymore after this.) She demonstrated that she will be somewhere and forget what she is doing (forgetting which movie she was in, and forgetting to buy a cake at the grocery store).  She might not have been able to tell the police that she drove (because she forgot) and couldn't have told them where she left the car.

This was my assumption. Bethlehem isn’t super close to the Poconos, and I figured that if the cabin scenes were happening at the Pearsons’ old Poconos cabin, then Rebecca likely said she was running to a bakery in a nearby town but  actually got distracted/lost and drove miles away, eventually ending up in Bethlehem. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

On 11/20/2019 at 9:01 AM, Blackie said:

On a side note, on the weekend my husband wanted to cook a pot roast in the slow cooker, but h is afraid of my instant pot so pulled out our 25 year old slow cooker.  Within 5 min we could smell plastic burning.  The heating coil and melted right through the bottom.  Good thing we hadn't of set it right up and then left the house for the day!

After what happened to Jack, that's pretty bold of you to use a 25 slow cooker. 😳😅😉

• Like 2
  • Laugh 5
  • Surprise 2

12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Well, if I had to spend Thanksgiving with that family, I'd wanna be sedated...

Good one!!  Ramones fan?

• Like 4
  • Laugh 2

Re/Avogate, many people have said Kate should not have told Toby that baby already ate some avo.  I think she should have told him before he fed the baby because the neighbor could have mentioned it when he saw Jack.  Hiding stuff never works out on TV!

If Shauna ends up as Kevin’s fiancee, I will be spewing curses like I’m on an HBO show!!!

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

6 hours ago, kili said:

It looked to me like they just threw a cookie sheet on a rack above the turkey. It shocked me a little because I thought that would mess up the cooking of the turkey (now it's getting shielded heat from above) and will probably cook the cookies strangely (burning the tops before the bottoms are cooked because it is too close to the top and shielded on the bottom).  I've always dreamt of having two wall ovens so I could do something like make a turkey and bake cookies at the same time. but maybe I've been dreaming for nothing (just like Dorothy in Oz, I had the power all along). Can one really cook cookies and turkey at the same time?

Have the writers ever been in a room with a baking turkey?  Because no way would I put cookies in the same oven as one because you would have cookies that taste like turkey.  Gross.

• Like 10
  • Laugh 2

I have two ovens and have been in many other homes that have two. We bought this house a few years ago and it had been remodeled in 2000, including new kitchen appliances.  I think it is more common now in newer homes.  Our kitchen is not huge, but has enough space that I can have a helper or two when fixing a major dinner, as long as they follow directions☺️  But I have never cooked or seen as many dishes at any meal as they had!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

42 minutes ago, MBayGal said:

I have two ovens and have been in many other homes that have two. We bought this house a few years ago and it had been remodeled in 2000, including new kitchen appliances.  I think it is more common now in newer homes.  Our kitchen is not huge, but has enough space that I can have a helper or two when fixing a major dinner, as long as they follow directions☺️  But I have never cooked or seen as many dishes at any meal as they had!

We had two ovens when I was a kid. My parents redid the kitchen at some point and put in drawers in place of the bottom oven. I think it was mostly used to store pans and stuff; they probably actually turned it on a couple times a year at most. (They haven't done the big holiday dinners in many years; their house isn't big enough to hold everyone by now, since all the kids grew up and started having kids...and now two of their kids have kids!)

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Toby may not be physically but he is emotionally cheating on her

That said, Kate was a fool to tell him about the avocado. Or maybe just jealous that Toby's Instagram was getting so many lights.

The "So Long Marianne" moments were the loveliest part of the episode. But I couldn't forget that it was Cohen who dumped Marianne by having his new lover show up at the door and telling her that it was time to move out.

I think Beth is very self-centered.  She ignores Deja's wish to see her mother in favour of moving and opening her dance studio until Malik points out that she is not being the wonderful mother she thinks that she is. Then she gets all pissy at what a good time Deja is having with Shawna until Deja gets upset when Beth can swoop in and show how she's Super Mom and better than Shawna at which point she's happy again.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

12 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't think Shauna is Kevin's fiancee.  I looked up a screenshot of Kevin's son from last season.  

image.png.a68fded7e1137e284cbf73184cb94f07.png

Yeah for Shauna to be the mother of that kid would be one hell of a genetic fluke. Zoe would be one thing since we know she's half white but Shauna looks doesn't look like she has any white people in her at all. Although it occurs to me that the fiance in the flashforward isn't the mother of that particular kid. Its been pointed out that the timing doesn't quite add up. The fiancee might be a false start the show does like a misdirect. Although weirdly I think casting such a white looking kid might be deliberately  a way of getting people to think it can't be Zoe. The way the actress talked about her character "going on a journey" makes me think we aren't done with her yet anyway.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kili said:

I've always dreamt of having two wall ovens so I could do something like make a turkey and bake cookies at the same time. but maybe I've been dreaming for nothing (just like Dorothy in Oz, I had the power all along).

Martha Stewart was on Kelly Clarkson's show recently. She was talking about all the stuff she makes for Thanksgiving and she referred to people who only have one oven as "oven poor." Kelly countered with "most houses have one oven!"

5 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I think Beth is very self-centered.  She ignores Deja's wish to see her mother in favour of moving and opening her dance studio until Malik points out that she is not being the wonderful mother she thinks that she is.

While I agree that the responsibility for making the visit with Deja's mom happen was on the adults, it's just as much Russell's Randall's fault as Beth's. They should have taken five minutes to look at their calendars, find a few possible dates, and extended an invitation to Deja's mom. I refuse to put all the blame on Beth. She is not the only parent in this house. If she was being selfish by opening the dance studio, Randall has been selfish since the day he started campaigning. Either of them could have sat down for a minute and called/texted Deja's mom. Neither of them did so that is on BOTH of them, not just Beth.

I kind of love that the one person who should not have to take on the responsibility to make it happen is the one who ended up arranging it. Instead of letting it be complicated, Deja just picked a date. Easy peasy!

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Toby may not be physically but he is emotionally cheating on her

That said, Kate was a fool to tell him about the avocado. Or maybe just jealous that Toby's Instagram was getting so many lights.

The "So Long Marianne" moments were the loveliest part of the episode. But I couldn't forget that it was Cohen who dumped Marianne by having his new lover show up at the door and telling her that it was time to move out.

I think Beth is very self-centered.  She ignores Deja's wish to see her mother in favour of moving and opening her dance studio until Malik points out that she is not being the wonderful mother she thinks that she is. Then she gets all pissy at what a good time Deja is having with Shawna until Deja gets upset when Beth can swoop in and show how she's Super Mom and better than Shawna at which point she's happy again.

Wasn't the story that they both cheated and at the end, he reached out to her with a letter that was touching about reaching out her hand to him? That was an awful thing to do but I read they both were not faithful.

I didn't realize there was a book about them

https://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/ihlen.html

Edited by debraran
  • Useful 1

10 hours ago, MBayGal said:

We bought a gas range that has two ovens (since my kitchen, even though the house is only 11 years old, didn't have room for two wall ovens). I use both of them PLUS a counter-top turkey oven PLUS crock pots PLUS a toaster oven for Thanksgiving dinner.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

On 11/22/2019 at 7:05 AM, stefinny said:

But Beth admitted that her feelings were "evil" and she seemed to feel guilty about having them.  A person can't control their feelings, only their actions.  And she was kind to Shauna and supportive of Deja when Deja felt slighted.

At this point, Randall and Beth's kids are nothing more to them than accessories.   They are both so devoted to their work, they don't seem to give two shits about their kids until something happens.   By then it could be too late to do anything about it.

That only changed when Deja started going out with the Sperminator. 

I am surprised that Deja didn't tell her mom about the Sperminator, or that he didn't show up to meet her mom.

Tess wanted to come out and it took Kevin, a dude that isn't around all that much, to help Tess out and make it happen in the most comfortable way for her as possible.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Martha Stewart was on Kelly Clarkson's show recently. She was talking about all the stuff she makes for Thanksgiving and she referred to people who only have one oven as "oven poor." Kelly countered with "most houses have one oven!"

I think Martha Stewart is a pompous ass.  I have no clue why she is so popular.  She sounds like a snob.

Beth and Russell's house didn't look like it had a room big enough to fit all of those people around a dining table.  Did they show the dining table in this episode?  I don't recall.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Beth and Russell's house didn't look like it had a room big enough to fit all of those people around a dining table.  Did they show the dining table in this episode?  I don't recall.

I don't recall them showing the dining table, but they did confirm there wasn't space for everyone at it. At the beginning of the episode Randall asked Beth why she'd set up a card table in the living room/hallway, and she said something to the effect of because 13 people will not otherwise fit.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

7 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I don't recall them showing the dining table, but they did confirm there wasn't space for everyone at it. At the beginning of the episode Randall asked Beth why she'd set up a card table in the living room/hallway, and she said something to the effect of because 13 people will not otherwise fit.

She said their dining table only seats eight and they were expecting thirteen due to the long lost uncles and birth mothers. But they would have needed extra seating anyway. Even without Nicky and Deja's mom, they still had ten people plus Jack.

Even if they didn't put Jack in a high chair and even if they set one place for Toby and Kate to share so that they could rotate one of them holding Jack in the other room, they would still need nine places so they would have needed some kind of extra seating anyway. If Nicky and Deja's mom hadn't attended, they probably would have had the adults plus Jack at the dining room table (which would be eight seats including the high chair) and then let the girls have the card table.

• Useful 3

23 hours ago, izabella said:

I think Toby was mad that Kate lied to him about it, not that the baby had his first solid food because the neighbor gave it to him.  If Kate had told him when he got home from work that Jack had eaten some avocado that day, they could have celebrated together.  Toby might have been a little disappointed, but he wouldn't have gotten mad about it.  The problem is Kate didn't tell him, and then didn't tell him when Toby fed him some avocado, so turned it into a lie that he believed.  The lying is the problem.

I don't really have a dog in this fight because I kinda hate both Toby and Kate, but if the thing he's actually mad about is the lying than TeamKate all the way. Toby lied to Kate for months about working out, humiliating her by making her think that he was just effortlessly losing weight by being stressed while she was stressing eating. He had no problem lying to her face, telling her that he was going to the store so she wouldn't know he was working out, but he thinks Kate is the bad guy because she lied for 48 hours so he could enjoy being there for Jack's first bite of food? Asshole.

• Like 24

as much as I agree that Kate can be tedious and needy, she is the parent spending the most time with a toddler that has limitations.  Meanwhile, Toby is doing his Crossfit.  Then he has the audacity to complain that something happened while he was not there.  

• Like 15