Type keyword(s) to search

Jim Henson's Labyrinth Mafia

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

Character hinting is strictly forbidden during this round. However, you may hint at your ability.

Ooooooooooo dicey. That was a big help in the last round and the one before.  So someone can't say "I'm The Babe"... somehow we just have to figure out if they remind us of The Babe because they hint at having the power of the voodoo who-do you-do do-what.

Wills are back!    

• Love 2

Final player list:

1. JTMacc SMELL BAD
  2. The Crazed Spruce SMELL BAD
  3. Drogo SMELL BAD 
  4. BizBuzz SMELL BAD
  5. Lisin SMELL BAD
  6. Deaja SMELL BAD
  7. SVNBob SMELL BAD
  8. Hanged Man SMELL BAD
  9. Lady Calypso SMELL BAD
  10. Machiabelly SMELL BAD
  11. joanne3482 SMELL BAD 
  12. festivus SMELL BAD
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Machiabelly said:

I am a big fan of having wills.

Also, I am a terrible hinter, so no hints doesn't bother me.

Also also, can we lie on our will?

You can write whatever you like on your Will. But why a hero would lie, I don't know. The only no-no with Wills is villains may not disclose who their fellow villains are in their Will (or mislead).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/10/2019 at 7:17 AM, SilverStormm said:

Sign ups are now closed. PM's will go out by Sunday 15th if not sooner. Day 1 will be posted on Mon 16th. 

Phew! I was worried that since I was unexpectedly out of town the past several days I would have missed out on this and DL'd the first day. Glad I'm still alive! Now to figure out what y'all are talking about wills and hints. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, joanne3482 said:

Phew! I was worried that since I was unexpectedly out of town the past several days I would have missed out on this and DL'd the first day. Glad I'm still alive! Now to figure out what y'all are talking about wills and hints. 

Well, a will is information you can give after death. For instance, on night one you investigate me and find out I am a hero. But you don't want to just say that because it puts a target on you. So, you put it in your will and if you die, the other heroes know I am trustworthy 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

All PM's have gone out! Please confirm in here that you've received and read your PM.

Day 1 will start sometime tomorrow.

This will be a partial reveal game; only character bio, alignment and Will (if submitted) will be posted in the event of death. Full reveal will happen in the game recap.

Good Luck & Merry Christmas to all!

E3Mn.gif

• Love 3

Day 1

A young girl, Sarah, was standing in a park by a lake, with her dog, Merlin. Talking to an owl, but mostly to herself, she recited, “Give me the child...through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the goblin city, to take back the child that you have stolen, for my will is as strong as yours, and my kingdom is as great...” she paused, “Damn, I can never remember that line...” she checked her book, “You have no power over me."

tumblr_mrp24u4fKk1sfxvjpo1_500.gif

Merlin barked.

“Oh Merlin.” Upon hearing the clock strike, “Oh no Merlin, I don't believe it, its 7pm, come on!” she started running home.

Sarah and Merlin reached the doorstep to find her stepmother waiting for her.

“Oh, it’s not fair!” Sarah complained.
“Oh really” her stepmother replied.
“Oh, I'm sorry” Sarah attempted to placate her.
“Well don't stand there in the rain come on.”
“Alright, come on Merlin.” Sarah stepped forward.
“Not the dog!” her stepmother said sternly.
“But its pouring!” Sarah pleaded.
“Go on, into the garage” her stepmother told Merlin.
“Aww, go on merlin, go into the garage, go!” Sarah reluctantly shoo’ed him then headed inside the house.
“Sarah! you're an hour late” her stepmother chided her.
“I said I'm sorry” Sarah interrupted.
“Please, let me finish, your father and I go out very rarely....”
“You go out every single weekend”
“...and I ask you to baby-sit only if it won’t interfere with your plans”
“Well how do you know, you don't know what my plans are, you don't even ask me anymore” Sarah argued.
“Well I'd assume you'd tell me if you had a date, I'd like it if you had a date, you should have dates at your age”

Her father walked in holding her baby brother, Toby, “Oh Sarah, your home, we were worried about you”
Sarah flounced upstairs, “I can't do anything right, can I?!!”
Her stepmother looked at her husband in dismay, “She treats me like a wicked stepmother in a fairy story no matter what I say”
“I'll talk to her” her father replied.

Sarah stormed into her room and threw herself onto her bed, “Through dangers untold, and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the goblin city, to take back the child that you have stolen.” she recited.
A knock on the door halted her monologue, “Sarah, can I talk to you?” her father’s voice asked through the door.
“There's nothing to talk about....You better hurry you're gonna be late!” Sarah pouted.
“Listen, we fed Toby and put him to bed, we do have to leave now, but we'll be back around midnight.” her father told her.
“You really wanted to talk to me didn't you? Practically broke down the door…” she huffed.
In the middle of her hissy fit, she noticed her bear was missing, “Lancelot!! Someone has been in my room again, I hate that, I hate it!” she fumed.

She went to Toby’s room and saw the bear on the floor beside his cot.

“I hate you, I hate you!! Someone save me, someone take me away from this awful place!” she said, throwing a tantrum worse than a baby.

Outside, thunder was growing louder.

She looked at Toby who was now crying, “What do you want, do you want story? Huh? Ok!

05a-Sarah.jpg

Once upon a time there was a beautiful young girl whose stepmother always made her stay home with the baby and the baby was a spoiled child and he wanted everything for himself and the young girl was practically a slave. But what no one knew was that the king of the goblins had fallen in love with the girl, and he had given her certain powers, and so one night when baby had been particularly cruel to her, she called on the goblins for help.”

This got the attention of the goblins, “Ssshhh, listen!” said one.

Sarah continued, "Say your right words, the goblins said and we'll take the baby to the goblin city, and you'll be free. But the girl knew that the king of the goblins would keep the baby in his castle forever and ever and ever and turn it into a goblin. So the girl suffered in silence, until one night, when she was tired from a day of housework and was hurt by the harsh words of her stepmother, and she could no longer stand it.”

Toby was still crying.

“Oh alright, alright” she relented and picked the crying baby up.
“Knock it off, come on.” Toby still cried, “Stop it stop it, I'll say the words...no, I mustn’t, I mustn’t say...

6573cddd7d12deff018662667f0287f2.jpg

The goblins got excited.

“I wish....I wish!”
“Listen!” a goblin said urgently.
“She's going to say it” another said in anticipation.
“Say what?” asked a third who was a bit daft.
“Shut up!” they hushed him.
“Listen, she's going to say the words!” the goblins were on tenterhooks by now.
“I can bare it no longer...goblin king, goblin king, wherever you may be, take this child of mine far away from me!!” Sarah said aloud.
The goblins were crestfallen, “Aawww” they all groaned.
“What is all that rubbish, it doesn't even start with "I wish." one complained bitterly.

Toby continued to cry.

“Oh Toby stop it! I wish I did know what to say to make the goblins take you away!” she said cruelly.

tumblr_lr0ps2FJp41qlem2bo1_500.jpg

A frustrated goblin spoke "I wish the goblins will come and take you away right now." That's not hard is it?!! Huh?!!
“I wish...I wish!” Sarah started as she put the crying Toby in his cot and tucked him in.
With her hand on the light switch she continued, “I wish the goblins would come and take you away right now.” She turned off the light and left the room.

Suddenly, it went silent, Toby wasn’t crying anymore…

==========================================

Important: Reminder, no character hinting is permitted in this game. If the game mods believe you have posted a hint you will be mod-killed so please be careful what you say.

There is 1 clue hidden somewhere in this story. You have 36 hrs until Day ends and Twilight begins unless a DL is completed beforehand.

7 votes are required to complete a DL.

Living players: Dazed & A-Mazed

1. JTMacc
  2. The Crazed Spruce
  3. Drogo
  4. BizBuzz
  5. Lisin
  6. Deaja
  7. SVNBob
  8. Hanged Man
  9. Lady Calypso
  10. Machiabelly
  11. joanne3482
  12. festivus

33 years later, Sarah remains the fucking Worst.  "I hate you!  Here's a story about the Lindbergh baby to help you fall asleep!"  Bish that baby woke up terrified in a thunderstorm and you didn't even change his ass before putting him back to bed without his new old bear; I would cry too.    

Stuff that might be clue-y: 

Just now, SilverStormm said:

ten·ter·hook  /ˈten(t)ərˌho͝ok/ noun HISTORICAL

a hook used to fasten cloth on a drying frame or tenter.

and

4 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

Sarah flounced upstairs, “I can't do anything right, can I?!!”

flounce  /flouns/  verb

go or move in an exaggeratedly impatient or angry manner.

@Lisin and @joanne3482 both indicate their strongest quality is patience. (While I think impatience would be a much more likely clue than patience, only our 2 gamerunners said that was their worst quality.)

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Stuff that struck me were Sarah's exchange with her parents about always being late and interrupting, but I don't see anything in anyone's profiles that would make me think those were about them.

But yay for a new Mafia game!

56 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

The goblins were crestfallen, “Aawww” they all groaned.

Along with some of the words that caught @Drogo, this one caught me ... what is crestfallen?  I looked it up ... sad and disappointed.  Right now, I am lacking time, but wanted to find something before I could go over the story with a fine tooth comb later on today.

I watched this last night in preparation because it's been a while. The only thing that stood out to me in this story was tenterhooks. Don't have a clue what to make of it though.

I've got PT today and it's also Christmas baking night with my bitches. I won't be back till tonight. Please don't DL me! 

Yay for a new Mafia game!

Because I am working from home, I don't feel as guilty being on here...so I actually read through the story better than the last round.

Not that I'm great at finding clues, but the only thing that stuck out to me was this:

Because I have never heard this word before, I looked it up:

By the mid-18th century, the phrase "on tenterhooks" came to mean being in a state of tension, uneasiness, anxiety, or suspense, i.e. figuratively stretched like the cloth on the tenter.

and @deaja has her weakest quality as anxiety. 

But I also don't know if a clue would be THAT easy to find, you know? 

1 hour ago, Drogo said:

I like the tenterhooks one a lot.

I'm thinking about what you said about it fitting impatience more than patience. I'm not sure if I agree with that.

Having just watched this movie, on tenterhooks is a great description of how the goblins were waiting for her to say the words. They were patiently waiting, but they were also excited and full of equal amounts of hope and disappointment while they were waiting. So maybe patient does fit, if tenterhooks is a clue. 

Having just watched this movie, the story uses multiple adjectives to describe Sarah's behavior quite accurately: Flounced, stormed, pouted, huffed, hissy fit, fumed, and a tantrum worse than a baby. But as far as I can see, nobody has "Being a whiny teenager" as their weakness.

All of those words are just as apt as tenterhooks. Maybe Silver's just a good writer.

• Love 1

Oh, and another thing:

2 hours ago, Drogo said:

@Lisin and @joanne3482 both indicate their strongest quality is patience.

Jeez.

I mean, I'd go along with it just to see what happens, but I have guilt looking at those two names. One is brand new and the other one is on a hot streak of being the first one to be eliminated in these games.  Heh.

• LOL 1

Just be clear. I am a hero. I’m also slammed by a shit ton of deadlines at work so I will be back after 5 when I have a chance to actually read the story. I love how I’m yet again immediately being questioned so if everyone is just going to listen to @Drogo as usual in this round y’all may as well just DL me right now. Then when my reveal happens maybe look at the ones pointing fingers my way. 

51 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

But as far as I can see, nobody has "Being a whiny teenager" as their weakness.

Shit I knew I forgot to update my profile...

Just now, Lisin said:

if everyone is just going to listen to @Drogo as usual in this round y’all may as well just DL me right now.

...and so did @Lisin.

• LOL 1
22 minutes ago, Lisin said:

if everyone is just going to listen to @Drogo as usual in this round y’all may as well just DL me right now. Then when my reveal happens maybe look at the ones pointing fingers my way. 

To be fair, it's only me at this point who seems to be listening to @Drogo that the stab in the dark might be a clue and it might point at the two people who listed patience as a characteristic.

And on that note:

1. I said I felt guilty about it.
  2. I don't think you need to worry about me following anyone blindly.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

Her father walked in holding her baby brother, Toby, “Oh Sarah, your home, we were worried about you”

While Silver has been excellent in her use of grammar thus far in this story, I noticed this error. So I'm thinking @meet trouble due to their strength of mostly proper grammar. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

While Silver has been excellent in her use of grammar thus far in this story, I noticed this error. So I'm thinking @meet trouble due to their strength of mostly proper grammar. 

Really interesting catch! 

Sadly, Meet Trouble isn't playing this round.  (There are probably almost twice as many profiles as there are active players in this game, which will take some getting used to while you're hunting for clues.)

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

@meet trouble isn't playing this round, so I feel safe in telling you that that dialogue was used from an online script - aka I'm only guilty of not proof-reading the line thoroughly enough, heh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

(There are probably almost twice as many profiles as there are active players in this game, which will take some getting used to while you're hunting for clues.)

JT I'm still pretty psyched about those excellent clues I found for @SilverStormm and @CuriousParker though their alibi is pretty airtight.

46 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

Despite MT not being in this round, Joanne came to fucking PLAY, people!!  And I am here for it, Jojo.  

• Love 3
7 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

“Oh, it’s not fair!” Sarah complained.
“Oh really” her stepmother replied.
“Oh, I'm sorry” Sarah attempted to placate her.

The three “Oh”s stuck out to me but I’ve got no clue what it could mean and it could be direct movie dialogue so what do I know. (It’s been a bit since I’ve seen the movie) but in general I’ve got nothing. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

There are probably almost twice as many profiles as there are active players in this game

I just had a thought about this. 

What about those of you with mod-powers putting spoiler tags on the profiles of people not playing in the current game?  That would keep the profiles intact, but also have them "out of sight" while they're not germane.

Also, I got nothing as well.  I'm as lost in this textual labyrinth as the rest of the Heroes.

Outstanding suggestion @SVNBob! Looks like it’s already been done. 

So I went off to the internet armed with the word Tenterhooks to see what I could find. No really famous movie lines. No particularly famous quotes (that I instantly recognized) but there were a couple that came up in every search. I saw one from Virginia Woolf about Jane Austen a lot, but that’s a pretty thin connection.

I’m snowed in at home today, so maybe later I’ll get a chance to scour the story again for my own crackpot theory on a clue.

Edited by JTMacc99
Crockpot theory is not the same as crackpot theory