Type keyword(s) to search

Fixer To Fabulous - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Maybe it's because I'm not a wine drinker but why would you need 150 bottles of wine displayed on a wall?

Didn't really care for the dual front doors.  I liked the question someone asked "where is the front door?"

The fish tank is nice but are they going to need to have a professional come out and clean it every time it needs it?

• Love 1

My guess is they will get a fish tank service to come out and maintain and clean the tank.  I was confused about the double front doors too.     For a house that was almost 3,000 sq. ft., the bedrooms upstairs seemed small.     I think the husband's restaurant is opening a second location around Little Rock too.    The sister and husband seemed really nice, and I hope they love their house.  

I figure that the boys are almost college age (weren't they 17 and 14 or somewhere thereabouts - the oldest looked grown to me!) so they probably don't need overly large rooms - and they have that nice room to hang out in so that will keep them from holing up in their bedrooms fulltime.

I wondered for a bit whether they were going to have a crossover with the guys from Tanked.  

Wine drinkers love to display their wines.  I can't imagine ever drinking that much wine but my boss used to collect it incessantly and I'm sure he would have loved a place to display it (as would his wife because she said there was always a box of wine underfoot!).

The B&B remodel is such a disaster.    Buying a house that didn't allow inspecting the inside was a big mistake.   I wonder if it will be a true B&B, or if they will only rent the entire house, the way the Gaines have done with the remodel they showed on TV?     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

I did like the bee guy.  "If you feel sweat trickling down your back you're OK.   If you feel sweat trickling up your back ..."

Seeing how many bees were visible from the outside, I was not surprised that they had destroyed the columns & roof. It makes the Marrs look like idiots.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2

This Fixer to Fabulous: Welcome Inn show so far makes the Marrs' look like complete idiots, the kind of ill-prepared, amateurish flippers who need to be rescued by an HGTV superstar. Can't imagine that's the plan.

• Like 1
  • Love 10

Tonight's episode shows how little research they did before deciding to do a B & B.    They never considered the sprinkler and fire alarms, smoke and CO2 detectors, the commercial kitchen and the expense that will be.     The house only has three bedrooms, so I don't see it as profitable no matter what the occupancy rate, or how much they charge for an event, or how much staying there costs.   

Going to the Bentonville B&B and saying they weren't competition wasn't right.   Rogers isn't that far from Bentonville.   The pouting when they found out that the Bentonville people had a regular kitchen, and they would have to get a commercial kitchen was hysterical.   Then finding out that the Bentonville couple wanted to get out of the business was interesting too.   I don't know if the Marrs knew the other couple were getting out of the business, but if they did they are better actors than I give them credit for. 

I simply don't see how the B & B will ever be profitable with only 3 bedrooms.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

Their new business card (using Jenny's own words)

Dave and Jenny Marrs:

We Don't Know What We're Doing

We all know HGTV plays fast and loose with reality to add drama to their programming, but it's hard to imagine the Marrs' truly being such business buffoons or agreeing to be depicted as such. It's like the only research they did into the B&B business came from watching a Hallmark movie about a couple who decided to turn their inherited house into a bed and breakfast (finding love along the way.)

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1

Is there some big twist coming that shows the Marrs landed on a genius idea? Or are they trying to get out of the remodeling business into some sort of TV-launched business? Because if I needed remodeling, these people would be the last ones I'd call.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

They are calling this place a B&B but it sounds as though there will be no family owning/living in it to run a B&B - which makes it more an Airbnb.  The whole thing sounds a little screwy to me.  On top of all their lack of knowledge about what kind of kitchen they can have it just doesn't sound well thought out at all.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, Trey said:

They are calling this place a B&B but it sounds as though there will be no family owning/living in it to run a B&B - which makes it more an Airbnb.  The whole thing sounds a little screwy to me.  On top of all their lack of knowledge about what kind of kitchen they can have it just doesn't sound well thought out at all.

What do you want to bet that before they spend the money on a commercial kitchen set-up and a whole house sprinkler system that a buyer just happens to appear and offers them so much money to purchase the house that they sell it? Then they complete the remodel for the buyer. That's how I see this playing out.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Yesterday Jenny posted on her Instagram account that she does not have "the bandwidth or calling to run a Bed and Breakfast well in this season of life."

I am guessing they will sell.  

Of course this was filmed months ago so they may have already made some sort of deal.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

What do you want to bet that before they spend the money on a commercial kitchen set-up and a whole house sprinkler system that a buyer just happens to appear and offers them so much money to purchase the house that they sell it? Then they complete the remodel for the buyer. That's how I see this playing out.

That is probably how it will work out. 

• Love 2

It seems that these BNB/Rental ideas are better left as ideas. Sarah Richardson, who's a Canadian designer that's worked with HGTV over the years, did a series where she bought an old house, sight unseen with the idea to convert it into a whole-home rental and after filming she ended up selling the place, partially because it had been so financially draining. It still seemed like a better idea to rent the whole house to a family/group rather than the Marr's idea to rent out each room separately.

https://www.sarahrichardsondesign.com/search?keys=SARAH OFF THE GRID 2&page=0

https://creemore.com/creemore-community-featured-in-sarah-off-the-grid/

https://georgianbaygroup.com/listings/217-mill-street-creemore/

Edited by Barlowe
  • Love 2

The Gaines (Fixer Upper) bought that house that had been part of the stage line, and did whole house rentals.    I think they do that with some other huge houses too.    (Baylor is a big attraction there, I've read it's the biggest Baptist university in the country).    Whole house rentals for families, reunions, or other big events are very profitable. 

However, the potential Rogers B & B only has three bedrooms, and one wasn't very big.   I simply don't see any way for the house in Rogers to ever turn a profit.   I would finish the remodel, and sell it as a home, not a business.   That way you don't have to do a commercial kitchen, or sprinklers, or some other changes.    They would have to get a manager for the B & B, and that's another huge expense, plus there's nowhere for the manager to live on site.     

When I lived in Colorado there was a very successful B & B, the two owners operated it, lived in the house, and had a lot more bedrooms and baths than the Rogers house.   They lasted 10 years, and were trying to find buyers, because they were burned out.  

They had an expanded episode of the house they did for Jenny's parents.    The giant wine wall turned out to be exactly what we said, way too big.   So, even after the siblings donated wine with tags of memories on them, then the wall was still virtually empty.   So, Jenny went and collected every empty wine bottle she could find.    It still looked kind of empty.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

Yesterday Jenny posted on her Instagram account that she does not have "the bandwidth or calling to run a Bed and Breakfast well in this season of life."

That's fair. But now is this pair stupider than I thought? Or if it was a ruse for a show, they still look dumb--too dumb to be allowed to do anything in my home. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I think the idea of a B&B is a lot more fun than the actual execution.  I would think that would have to be your passion and quite honestly it is neither Jenny or Dave's - they are more passionate about their family, their farm and their business (and wine...LOL!).  I had a friend who owned a B&B in a small town and she said she did it for about 14 years but ended up getting out of the business because it was constant work - and she had great help.  I hope they develop the property and then sell it.

• Love 2

I'm enjoying this show because Dave and Jenny are on the same path that I envision for all those B&B hopefuls purchasing homes on HHI. A lot goes into the planning and the execution of such a business. I don't have a clear idea of how Dave and Jenny planned to run this place. You were going to leave three to six strangers in a home alone you call a Bed and Breakfast and?????? Anyone know what Dave and Jenny planned?

I feel bad that this show is changing my opinion of the Marrses. With their children, farm animals, property and business(es), I'm shocked to see how half-assed this B&B plan has turned out to be. Kudos to them for allowing themselves to be depicted like this, but even if there is some sort of last-minute solution (the words "deus ex machina" come to mind), they still did a very unwise thing that could have hurt them badly.

I never thought that these two were the type to conduct such a train wreck. 

• Love 3

To me, after watching the second episode again, they don't intend to do a B & B or whole house rental.    They aren't even discussing the sprinkler system, or having the fire and CO2 alarms, or signage that the B & B or other commercial rental would need.   

I suspect they have changed to the idea of remodeling, and selling as a single family home.  Putting a big wine cellar into a B & B is bizarre to me.      I'm almost to the part where they visit the Bentonville B & B, and are told the owners are quitting the business, and the look on Jenny's face is hysterical. 

The Marrs remodel only has three bedrooms, one for kids, and the Victoria Bentonville B & B has a lot of huge suites.   There is no way the Marrs can compete with that, or will ever break even.   

So, no more B & B, but does a whole house rental cancel the sprinkler and alarm system, and the kitchen can just be a regular kitchen?   I bet a guest house should need a whole house sprinkler system too.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, mojito said:

I'm enjoying this show because Dave and Jenny are on the same path that I envision for all those B&B hopefuls purchasing homes on HHI. A lot goes into the planning and the execution of such a business. I don't have a clear idea of how Dave and Jenny planned to run this place. You were going to leave three to six strangers in a home alone you call a Bed and Breakfast and?????? Anyone know what Dave and Jenny planned?

I feel bad that this show is changing my opinion of the Marrses. With their children, farm animals, property and business(es), I'm shocked to see how half-assed this B&B plan has turned out to be. Kudos to them for allowing themselves to be depicted like this, but even if there is some sort of last-minute solution (the words "deus ex machina" come to mind), they still did a very unwise thing that could have hurt them badly.

I never thought that these two were the type to conduct such a train wreck. 

They didn't have a clear idea. They knew they wanted multiple income sources i.e renting each room separately and to restore an old home into their dream project but that was about it. Jenny seemed set on the fantasy of a grand historic home with a wine room, gorgeous kitchen, English country garden and lovely guests and Dave was keen for his projects but neither of them really actually thought of what building and running a real bnb would entail especially with current fire codes and permits. Technically it could've worked, not as a true bnb but as an airbnb. I've seen many airbnb listings where they rent by the room and not the entire home. 

• Love 2
On 3/24/2022 at 2:38 PM, 3 is enough said:

I am guessing they will sell.  

Of course this was filmed months ago so they may have already made some sort of deal.

On 3/28/2022 at 3:24 PM, buttersister said:

That's fair. But now is this pair stupider than I thought? Or if it was a ruse for a show, they still look dumb--too dumb to be allowed to do anything in my home. 

I came here to find this topic after watching the first couple of episodes about this "B and B" project. Because, it wasn't making sense to me. Jenny was burbling on about all that special stuff for the B&B guests to enjoy, apparently on the basis of renting rooms vs. the whole house - but with nobody on the premises to operate the place. WTAF??? I've stayed in several B&Bs. I can't imagine just handing the keys to the place to some rando who pays to stay in a room and giving them free range to the house. I also can't see how they'd make money with only three rooms to rent in a property requiring such a big investment. And no room for the manager of the B&B to live (or work) in.

I may have missed it, but I never heard them explain how their "B&B" would actually, you know, operate. Who would cook in that kitchen - the guests?? How would check-in and check-out work? Who would keep an eye on the guests to be sure they weren't bothering each other or stealing stuff from the house? There are good reasons why B&Bs are mainly operated by live-in owners (or live-in managers). Sheesh. The owners have their own private areas of the house but are there to manage things. 

I lean to the "ruse for the show" idea. The Marrs have been in business(es) for nearly 20 years. They have remodeled/renovated lots of houses in their home area. They MUST be aware of building codes and they MUST know that the codes have special requirements for commercial properties. They have a lot going on, with the home renovation biz, the TV show, their home farm-ette, and that berry farm or whatever it is that they also own. And, what, five young kids?

I wonder if the show producer pitched the idea of "let's get this awesome big old house and you play like you're renovating it for a B&B but no worries, we'll have a plot twist so that it will be more like one of your regular house renos - and we'll all live happily ever after - and this will be good competition for the Magnolia Network." And the Marrs went along with it. 

But yes indeed, they look super stupid in the "B&B" episodes. They shoulda noped out of that goofy idea. 

I'm too young to have seen their first runs, but I saw on TV some of those old Mickey Rooney - Judy Garland movies where somebody said, "hey kids, I know, let's put on a show in the barn!" And the show was fabulous and they got famous and found love and money and all that other "happily ever after" stuff.  This "B&B" project smacks of the "Hey kids, let's have a show in the barn!" plot - which of course is a pure made-for-Hollywood fantasy movie thing. Not real life.

ETA: I know that what they describe seemed more like Airbnb where you hand keys to the guests and aren't there, but that's not an "Inn" or B&B experience. The Airbnb hosts don't provide meals. Also, I'm not sure if that house is in Bentonville, but that city is considering regulations for that kind of short term rental. Jenny and Dave keep talking about this "B&B" - and since that didn't track well I tried to think of it as an Airbnb, but it wasn't fitting very well into that concept either. Which is why it wasn't making sense to me. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 7

I watched the first two episodes that I had recorded and the third episode "live" the other night and I was very bored by them. How many "tricks" did they play on the wife where she pretended to believe it? Not really interested in their extracurriculars either. Could have been one episode.

NM my original post. I've found it: Welcome Inn, in Rogers Arkansas: http://www.thewelcomeinn.co/

The page says: 

How to book your stay:

Accepting reservations through our Airbnb listing following the big reveal on April 5th, 2022, for stays beginning on May 4th, 2022.

You are booking the entire house.
There is a 2-night minimum stay on all reservations.
Bookings can only start on Monday, Wednesday or Friday.

About the house:

Experience the charm of a peaceful getaway located near downtown Rogers, Arkansas.

This historic 1870’s house was transformed into a beautiful retreat by Dave and Jenny Marrs as seen on HGTV’s Fixer to Fabulous: Welcome Inn.

The Inn can accommodate up to 8 people in 3 comfortable bedrooms each with en suite bathroom.

So, total Airbnb after all. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

NM my original post. I've found it: Welcome Inn, in Rogers Arkansas: http://www.thewelcomeinn.co/

The page says: 

About the house:

So, total Airbnb after all. 

Just what we thought.

When Dave was complaining about the cost of landscaping I wanted to yell at him, "How much did you spend on that fancy chicken coop?" And... who's going to take care of the chickens? That was really dumb.

• Love 7

There are a lot of these, minimum stay whole house rentals out there.   However, they still need someone to come in after each stay, inventory what's missing, check for damages, clean up, wash the sheets and towels, replace supplies, and items like coffee. and replace other items as necessary.    

I was curious about how much a three bedroom house in Rogers could rent for, and it wasn't what Jenny said.   The prices she quoted would only be for places on the lake, and with a larger guest capacity.  

I agree that this Welcome Inn series didn't show them in a good light.     In their place, I would have remodeled for a single family home, and saved a bunch of money on fire suppression systems, sprinklers, etc.    And if Rogers bans short term rentals, they'll be out of business, unless they rent the house out for a regular rental lease.  

The house is only three bedrooms, and two looked like the main bedroom, and another queen or king bed, and the third bedroom had bunk beds, so maybe the kid's room has two sets of bunk beds?  

The $100k on landscaping was ludicrous.   How much is lawn mowing, shrub trimming, leaf raking, etc. going to cost a year?   

Good point about who will do daily maintenance, and take care of the chickens.   They will need a full time housekeeper and shopping service to maintain this place.    I can see the wine room having problems too.  Did the wine room have stairs from inside the house?   Or just the outside entrace?    

The Marrses also had a raffle to win one of the first weekends at the guest house too. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I'm too young to have seen their first runs, but I saw on TV some of those old Mickey Rooney - Judy Garland movies where somebody said, "hey kids, I know, let's put on a show in the barn!"

Considering that those movies mostly all came out before WWII, I'd say most people who saw them new are probably dead by now. I'll stick my neck and say no one in this forum was old enough to see them when the were first run.  Maybe not even born yet. 😁

It seems that if the purpose of the B&B series was to string us along, they would've stretch this out beyond three shows. I'm glad they're following another plan, but it still doesn't make any sense. There is room on the property to build a small home for a caretaker. Maybe they'll provide Joe with an semi-retirement opportunity. That is a real nice home, that's for sure. 

People are weird about celebrity, even minor ones. They might come from all over the country just to say that they stayed at Chip and Joanna's  Dave and Jenny's house. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Bentonville, and Rogers already have a ton of vacation rentals, and the ones I saw are higher capacity than J & D's Welcome Inn.   The lake side rentals look spectacular, and the prices are what Jenny said they could get for the whole house rental on their property, but they simply can't get that. 

Three bedrooms, even with four bunks for kids, is small on the vacation rental.  By the way, I hate bunk beds for kids, especially little ones.    I don't see cramming 8 people into 3 bedrooms as a good choice.    There is a lot of vacation rental competition in Bentonville and Rogers, and I don't think their Inn will be competitive, or ever break even.     They will have to have a lawn service, someone to do the cleaning, and restocking of linens, towels, kitchen items.    Who is going to do the bookings, and event prep?    

I hate the wine cellar.   Low ceilings, with ducts hanging out everywhere.   And Jenny's idea is to rent it for rehearsal dinners, and other events?    I wouldn't even want to go in there.   Plus, do they have an ADA features on the house, or grounds?   How will they monitor the use of bottles of wine, bourbon, and other items?    

They wasted so much money on that house.   The shower tiles have much bigger versions, so that would be much cheaper to install and grout.    The chicken coop could have been very serviceable, but not be some over the top poultry palace, with stained glass windows.    You don't need a handmade, custom fountain, they sell very nice ones at the big box hardware stores.   I'm guessing that they traded publicity for the chicken coop, or some of the other items.   Still I'm sure they could have saved a lot by not going overboard on everything.  Now they are getting custom wallpaper, and the artist is flying in to do this?   How well will that hold up to guests?   

Just paint everything satin, and it's washable, and easy to repaint.   The family bedroom on the second floor has a queen size bed (maybe king), and a bunk bed, so four people in one room.      At least the main bedroom on the first floor has a zero entry shower.   

I'm really wondering how they'll get the day-to-day work accomplished at the Inn?    

On the final walk through, the smartest person on the tour was Matt, Dave's brother, who said he wouldn't invest in the  project.  So they wanted to spend a maximum of $500k, and spent $740k.   I bet if they had dumped the custom wallpaper, bought a nice looking stove that wasn't almost $20k, and other expensive finishes, they could have save $100k at least.     I don't see the appeal of the basement wine cellar, or how they'll have big fundraising events for their foundation, with a place the size of the Inn.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I'm looking at the first episode rerun, and there are very rickety, steep stairs from the main house level into the basement/wine celler.        I can't believe anyone will want to have events in the low ceiling, windowless basement.   It looks like a prison cell.     Also, I can see people falling down the outside stairs, and the inside ones. 

I also disliked the skinny shutters on the front porch double doors too.    The 'no events and parties' is pretty standard for short term rentals, so you don't have the place trashed from huge parties.

I bet the minimum stay, plus taxes, and booking and security fees, and maybe cleaning fees will push the $788 price a whole lot higher than the nightly fees.      Also, many places are stopping short term rentals, so if that happens it will really be a bad deal financially to do the remodel.    The ongoing maintenance, cleaning, handling the bookings, and all of the expenses to keep the inn well stocked between guests will be steep.   I'm guessing that they will have to hire landscapers, housekeeping, and other people to keep the inn going.    

I'm guessing the hard core fans of the show will book the available vacant times, but with all of the operating expenses, and keeping the place maintained, and well stocked, that they will never get the remodeling costs back.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

I caught the final few minutes of episode 4, the reveal and walk-through. Meh. @CrazyInAlabama  nailed it, IMO. 

The airbnb booking site for the house is now live. Maximum 8 guests, and the booking page is showing $788 per night. The rules for renters include "not suitable for infants under 2 years of age" and "no parties or events." There aren't many nights available in the next few months. I clicked on the May dates available and selected 8 guests, and got a rate quoted of $745 per night. 

• Useful 2

Over $700 per night?  In Bentonville Arkansas?  That's a price I would expect to see in New York or Las Vegas during peak times.  And not a price I would be willing to pay anywhere.

I can't imagine that is sustainable.  Pretty sure there will be a price drop at some point.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

$700 for 8 people isn't bad. The cost of travel has gone through the roof. We're going to St. Petersburg, FL this week, and are paying an average (more for weekends than weekdays) of $335/night for 2 people for one hotel room.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

On the listing they said they've partnered with a non-profit to provide a hospitality training program to young women aging out of foster care...so that's who'll take care of the chickens, etc.  I think that sounds like a great idea.

• Love 1

I love this couple and most of what they do!

I do find myself wondering how they never wear protective eyewear or wear safety harnesses when they are up high. Looks like a law suit waiting to happen to me…

Really, really enjoy the show though :)

I don't see the show very often and when I do, it's not in the time slot when the new episodes come out, so I have no idea how old the episode is that I just saw today.  It was a father who has two sons, and they are big baseball fans.  I really liked the personalized 'homeplate' that they put into the front stoop, but I really hated what they did to the dad's bedroom.  It looks so dark and claustrophobic.  Also while the hidden bourbon retractable shelf was kind of cool, I think in actuality it will be frustrating.  I missed the beginning of the show, so I'm wondering if they did any explaining about where the house was situated, cause it looked to be right next door to a variety of businesses, and I didn't know if maybe the dad owned some of those businesses and that's why the house was so near.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

but I really hated what they did to the dad's bedroom.  It looks so dark and claustrophobic.  

Genuine question: why do people want bright bedrooms? Most of the time I'm in my bedroom it's either dark outside or I want it to be dark. Am I some sort of nutty outlier?

• Applause 3
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

Genuine question: why do people want bright bedrooms? Most of the time I'm in my bedroom it's either dark outside or I want it to be dark. Am I some sort of nutty outlier?

I don't want a 'bright' bedroom per se, but to me, a small room with dark walls starts looking kind of dungeon-y and just depressing as heck.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I watched a couple of episodes yesterday, one being Jenny's parents new home.  Maybe because I'm not feeling well but geez between Jenny and her mother I don't know who screams more.  It was so annoying.  Out of all of the renovation shows I watch I find that I'm not a big fan of the clients on this show.

• Like 1
On 11/27/2022 at 6:39 PM, NYGirl said:

I watched a couple of episodes yesterday, one being Jenny's parents new home.  Maybe because I'm not feeling well but geez between Jenny and her mother I don't know who screams more.  It was so annoying.  Out of all of the renovation shows I watch I find that I'm not a big fan of the clients on this show.

Jenny said later that they grossly overbuilt the storage capacity of the wine wall for her parents. (in my opinion they should have put cabinets halfway up, and then put 3 feet of the wine storage).    The few bottles that the relatives sent, and what Jenny and Dave bought for the parents didn't even begin to fill the wine storage Dave built.    So, she said she was asking everyone she knew for empty wine bottles.    

Tonight is the premier of season 4.   Jenny's kids on the horse (the horse was on a leadline), and the miniature horse with the cart was so cute.    The couple on tonight's reno are so cute.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I love the couple on tonight's show, "Giving Family Gets Sweet Upgrade", he's a barista, and raises a lot of money for Breast Cancer Awareness, for the entire month he wears pink from head to toe.     They've lived in the house forever, and really need a remodel to make the house more useable.     I love the ideas to move the washer/dryer to the garage, and fix the kitchen.    The main bedroom closet redo is long overdue.   

I love the outdoor kitchen, the ice cream station, the kitchen island, and the move of the laundry to get it out of the kitchen.   However, I wish they would have made short, deep shelves on the bookcase that will hold the hundreds of coffee cups people have brought back as gifts from all over the world.  It's nice they have the cabinet for holding the rest of the mugs, but maybe glass inserts in the doors would be good?   The new main bedroom closet is wonderful, and so is the ensuite.    I just hope the new laundry area has heating and cooling, so the washer gets proper ventilation.  

I love what they did to the exterior, instead of painting everything, they did around the doorway, and a little of the front.   I love the feature wall in the living room.  

However, Chase chugging room termperature, opened hot sauce was disgusting.   He's lucky he didn't get food poisoning. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Agree about the hot sauce.  Stupidity at its finest.  One of my favorite parts is that although they moved the washer and dryer to take up some of the garage the entrance to it was in the house itself.  My last house had a washer/dryer in the garage and it was cold in the winter and hot in the summer...plus having to fight a constant battle against mold on the seal on the frontloader washer.  Of course now I don't have laundry in my RV and I have to schlep it to a laundromat.

As far as the coffee cups go - it would have been incredibly cluttered with all of those cups.  I agree with displaying the best ones (and perhaps changing them out as people bring him new ones) and leaving the rest in storage.  I think the thought was that they could use the coffee cups to put their ice cream in...LOL!

That man (and his oldest son) were tall!  Did you see him have to bend his head when he entered a doorway?

• Love 1

"Historic House Revival"   very different episode.  Joe hurt his leg, so he's using a cane, the homeowner is also one of the crew who had shoulder surgery, and then Dave finds a garter snake behind the siding, and almost wets his pants.    I have to admit, I almost wet my pants when I saw the snake.   

Snakes look a lot bigger when they are staring at you eye-to-eye than they actually are!  For the most part I thought they did a good job on this house, although I could have survived without the hot tub (but did like that they made a cover for it to keep the kids out and give them more deck space).  I wish they had shown more of the attic space because it was confusing for me.  Did they actually build individual bedrooms up there for each of the children?

• Like 2