Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: The Visit

zoey1996
  • Start Topic

Donna springs a last-minute trip to Nebraska on Mike and Rio, which she claims is to relax; Donna steps into competitive mode to get Mike and Rio to help in the harvest; Constance's son Brandon is driving her crazy, so she pawns him off on Rudy.

This show is getting few comments.  This episode was "meh" for me.  I dislike Rio's mother, but it explains a lot about Rio.

I do wonder what actual Nebraskans and farmers think.  I grew up on a farm in the midwest, so I have my own opinions.  Suspension of disbelief is required for me here!

Enjoyed Rudy's spoons.  Even now, spoon/silverware sculptures and jewelry are a thing.  

Is Constance's son home on leave or out of the military?

• Love 1

Its interesting that the TV habit of enormous newborns extends to the animal kingdom.  There is no way that those piglets were just born.  Not to mention that the hog didn't appear anywhere near ready to give birth.  (Grew up on a farm.)

I can understand being a little naïve when you are not an experienced farmer, but there is a big difference between naïve and thinking you can harvest an acre of corn by hand.  I generally enjoy the show, but it needs to tread carefully about crossing the line from making characters naive versus just plain dumb.

15 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I can understand being a little naïve when you are not an experienced farmer, but there is a big difference between naïve and thinking you can harvest an acre of corn by hand.

So I have no idea how much space an acre actually is. I have never picked corn so I didn't get that you cut the whole stalk with a scythe. When they were talking about it, I thought it was picked like apples. I didn't grow up in a place with cornfields so it isn't something I've ever really seen or thought about. So while I didn't actually think they could do an entire acre by hand because I feel like an acre is a lot of land, I also didn't know all that was involved in harvesting an acre of corn. 

I have seen combines in movies (like Footloose) but I don't necessarily know the difference between corn that people eat and corn that is used for other things like animals or corn oil (I do know there is a difference but what that difference is I could not tell you), so when Bo was offering up the cornfield I just presumed it was human consumption corn which, in my mind, would be picked like apples. 

• Love 1