Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: SFAD

• Start Topic

Dr. Shaun Murphy's unique ability to relate to a patient isolated by an immune deficiency yields an unexpected result. Meanwhile, Dr. Claire Browne, Dr. Morgan Reznick and Dr. Marcus Andrews treat a 12-year-old patient who is about to become blind, and tension builds between Dr. Neil Melendez and Dr. Audrey Lim.

Agreed. I get that he's struggling, and therefore more likely to say things he doesn't really mean, but yeah, I definitely don't agree with that conclusion. Lim was absolutely right with what she said, and I hope with time Melendez will come to see that, and they can work past this argument, and he can come to terms with his feelings about the woman who died. 

5 minutes ago, ShortyMac said:

Charlie's story line, going blind, losing both eyes to cancer was so sad.

It really was, and I don't blame him one bit for wanting to take one last day to just go have some fun, issues aside. I also appreciate that Claire's time with him allowed her to finally let out some of the pain she's been trying to keep bottled up for the past month or so. I'm all for continuing to explore how Claire deals with her grief in general going forward, 'cause it's an interesting storyline and I certainly don't expect her to just move past her mom's death and be back to normal anytime soon. But I do hope this is a sign of her starting to look at healthier ways to express that grief. 

I also liked Shaun's interaction with the girl. Her wanting him to sit with her so she wouldn't be alone was sweet, and I liked the way they bonded. 

Still not sure Debbie going back to work with Glassman is the best idea-they seem to have a tendency of late to just come up with easy solutions to their issues and I'm not sure that's going to last long-but if they can manage to make it work the second time around, then cool. 

• Love 8

Damn, so not only does Melendez still blame himself for what happened last week, but he is questioning Lim's decision making as well, for letting him do it?  I know he's hurting, but that is pretty low and; unintentionally, I hope; making it sound like he lacks faith in her professionalism.  I think we've seen plenty of evidence that Lim would have no issues going against him if she thought he wasn't up to task, and her call was made purely because she (and the viewers) know he is a pretty damn good surgeon, and had the talents to pull it off, but sometimes these things happen, sadly.  I hope he gets over his grief and doesn't ruin things with her.  He really should find some kind of therapy or at least find someone to talk to.

Both of the cases were pretty good, I thought.  The actress playing the "bubble girl" (sorry!) was great, and I liked her interactions with Shaun and how they both helped one another out.  The case with Charlie was sadder, but I'm glad he and his parents finally had a honest talk and are prepared to move forward.

The strip-club bouncer certainly earned his paycheck here!  I'm sure there would have been all sorts of legal trouble if they ever let an underage teen in there: even if he was going blind!  But, hey, Charlie did get to see at least one pair of breasts before he lost his eye-sight for good!

Oh, Claire!  This really isn't going well for you.

More Glassman/Debbie drama.  I felt like I was suppose to be more on her side, but I was kind of with him because it never felt like she even spoke to him about these possible changes and methods.  It is certainly fine to suggest upgrades and new methods if they are needed, but just doing them without asking is not the way to go.  And while addressing time management is a good thing, maybe find a way that doesn't require you to be disrespectful to the Chief of Surgery.  Lim gets a gold star for handling it as well as she did.

Shaun acting out an emoji to Leah was hilarious.  Freddie Highmore is a national treasure!

• Love 16

I could just watch a whole episode of watching Shaun acting out emojis, that was so hilariously endearing! Oh Shaun. 

I get that Melendez is really upset by what happened to that woman last week, but blaming Lim, even if its all clearly him blaming himself, is not the right way to go about this. His patient wanted to do the surgery, and it seems like they did everything they could possibly do for her, and while its a very sad ending, it does happen in the medical world. 

The two cases were both quite good. Shaun connecting with the girl in the bubble was really nice to see, and I am glad that she was cured, her finally getting to feel the outside and leave her bubble was a really heartwarming moment, especially with the sad story with Charlie. 

Poor Charlie, I cant imagine losing your eyesight so young, but at least he got one more fun day to see things and do things he wont be able to do later. He even got to see boobs! It really killed me as he described how he used to have fun with his parents, but when he got sick they stopped doing fun things, and his parents were just sad all of the time. I dont blame them for focusing on his illness and his impending blindness, but I also feel sad for Charlie that this horrible thing totally took over his life. 

Hopefully Claire connecting with Charlie and getting her feelings game on again will lead her to getting it together and actually processing her moms death soon. I really want to see her really talk about it instead of denying anything happened while spiraling out of control.

Glassman and Debbie working together is already a mess after day one. I think that they were both rather at fault here. I think that Glassman was too harsh, but I also think that Debbie should have communicated the changes she wanted to make with him. They have such different communication and working styles, I just dont know if this will end well. 

• Love 8

I wonder if Melendez and Claire will help each other through their respective grief? Hopefully as friends, not romantically (please not romantically!) - that would be a good way for them to deal with it since they obviously don't want to see a therapist.

I'm pretty surprised the parents didn't make the kid with eye cancer see a therapist - or that the doctors didn't suggest that to the parents (and that the parents should see someone too!)

And no way the girl in the bubble should've gotten out of that bubble that quickly - with stuff like a bone marrow transplant, you are hospitalized for weeks afterwards

Why did Reznick have to show the kid her boobs? Why do all of the medical shows do that?

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I thought it was interesting that Claire felt like "old Claire" was just giving pieces of herself to others, and that talking to the kid didn't make her feel better, it felt like she reached into her past patterns and "did what was necessary" but she didn't want to go back to that. I wonder what she DOES want to do now? I get that she is grieving, but if she's upset about losing her mom, I am not sure how that leads to this particular conclusion. It's starting to drag, so I'd like someone other than Reznik to get involved here. Why doesn't anyone else notice? She had relationships with the others, and it's like they can't even tell she's a ghost?

Melendez was harsh and wrong with Lim, but there is some truth to the idea that you shouldn't supervise your significant other, or really anyone you are personally very close to. I don't know how they resolve that, because I would hate to see her give up her position, and of course we don't want him to leave, either.

I wonder also if him having bowed out in order for her to advance is also part of his resentment. And what happened to his desire for kids? Wasn't that why he broke up with his previous girlfriend?

I can't stand Debbie. You don't swoop in and make major changes on your first day, without even discussing it first. Who the hell does she think she is? I really can't stand her. I didn't think he was harsh, I thought he was a total doormat.

I wish we would see Carly tell Shaun what she wants, instead of continuing to only see their relationship through the judgments and random advice of everyone else.

Good news for the kid: boobs are even better to touch than to look at, so all is not lost.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

I’m surprised that the boys parents hadn’t used some of the time before the surgery doing/seeing things he wanted. Like driving and maybe Disney land or any number of things. There are lots of “Make a Wish” foundations for kids who are dying why not for him. It seemed all they could do was hold his hand and look sad. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 17

I thought both patients this week were exceptionally good actors.  The look on her face while she was looking at the window and realizing that the world was open to her was great.  And he was heartbreaking without falling back on "I'm a cute kid."  IMDB doesn't have their names listed yet, but kudos to them and to the casting director.

Speaking of cute, Shaun's live emoji was hilarious.

• Love 19
24 minutes ago, mikem said:

I thought both patients this week were exceptionally good actors.  The look on her face while she was looking at the window and realizing that the world was open to her was great.  And he was heartbreaking without falling back on "I'm a cute kid."  IMDB doesn't have their names listed yet, but kudos to them and to the casting director.

Speaking of cute, Shaun's live emoji was hilarious.

I’m pretty sure the girl was Haley Ramm, who I know from an old Freeform show called Chasing Life. She is a very good actress. 

• Love 2

When the kid was looking at his parents for the last time, it broke me. Full on sobbing and blubbering. He really stared at their faces - didn't even blink. Like he was just memorizing everything he could. Tearing up now just thinking about it. It was a nice bit of relief when Reznick flashed him and he was wheeled out smiling. All the feels.

I hate Debbie. HATE WITH THE FIERY PASSION OF A THOUSAND SUNS. DESPISE. LOATHE. ABHOR.

That is all.

• Love 22

The whole idea of the kid going all Ferris Buehler on the very day of his surgery was sooooo unrealistic that, while enjoyable, made it all cringeworthy...along with him doing it with 2 doctors he had seemingly never met. Based on the parents, seems like something they would have done for/with him...other than the boobies part. And, yeah, the flashing was pretty obvious....and definitely in character for Reznick more than Claire since it is, pardon the pun, very showy and less genuine.

I did like Shawn showing some applicable bedside manner, but you cant count on too many patients for whom his experience will be so appropriate.

On a completely unrelated note, Fiona Gubelman (i.e. Reznick) is almost 40, and she is doing a very good job of playing young.

I hate Debbie. HATE WITH THE FIERY PASSION OF A THOUSAND SUNS. DESPISE. LOATHE. ABHOR.

Not sure I go quite that far, but yeah, I don't really like the character and the more we see of her, the less I get what Dr. Toby sees in her...and from the look on his face, he is starting to wonder the same thing. I certainly hope that Debbie's/Chekhov's Gun won't come into play there, but.....

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 4

I really felt for the boy who lost his vision. I thought his acting was very good too. I was surprised the show went there with the breast reveal.....sort of illegal and that doctor better hope he never reveals it. Despite the circumstances, I don't think you get an exemption. That storyline really caused me to consider how an illness can totally change your life. And, yes...he needed therapy.

What did Shaun type on his phone at the end?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, marcee said:

When the kid was looking at his parents for the last time, it broke me. Full on sobbing and blubbering. He really stared at their faces - didn't even blink. Like he was just memorizing everything he could. Tearing up now just thinking about it. It was a nice bit of relief when Reznick flashed him and he was wheeled out smiling. All the feels.

That is all.

Yes! I only started watching The Good Doctor last season and I didn’t mind Debbie at first but now every time I see her, I feel my eyes rolling in annoyance.   I am so tired of them dealing with all of their issues by having sex.   I sincerely hope that this never actually solving any of their problems will come back to haunt them.  

• Love 5

Enjoyed both patient stories.  First time in a while for some good patient stories I think.

Poor Clair.  I really hope she get her mojo back.  Morgan really is being a good friend to her and also picking up her slack, but I miss Clair.  Shaun and your patients need you Clair!

I really liked Shaun and his patient this episode also.  It was nice to see Shaun connect and help her on an emotional level.  And liking Park's relationship with Shaun.  Loved him texting back "I'm here" at the end. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I wonder also if him having bowed out in order for her to advance is also part of his resentment. And what happened to his desire for kids? Wasn't that why he broke up with his previous girlfriend?

This. It was the entire reason for the break up with his ex. Then it was just dropped in order to hook up Lim and Melendez. It mad no sense to me because Lim doesn't seem to be interested in starting a family anytime soon. This should be an upcoming issue in their relationship too. I hope it gets addressed.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, preeya said:

I hope the relationship(s) ends. The show is a medical drama not a soap opera.

I hope it ends too. I find them boring. But, I have never, ever watched a "medical drama" that does not involve personal relationships. Are there any out there?

2 hours ago, Mikita said:

I hope it ends too. I find them boring. But, I have never, ever watched a "medical drama" that does not involve personal relationships. Are there any out there?

I  haven't either, but that's my point, especially in this day and age. If you look at someone the wrong way there are some sort of repercussions. Also, these workplace romances never end well.

Edited by preeya

I think the bubble girl was supposed to mirror Charlie. She was going to live for a time even if the procedure didn't take. I think we are supposed to ignore the recovery time aspect.

Am I the only one who immediately thought of John Travolta riding the horse to Paul William's "What would they Say" as she unzipped the bubble door?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Gloriosa said:

I was kind of worried about that kid going into surgery with a belly full of Slushies.  

That's my  biggest complaint this episode. I stopped the recording and told my husband "If this were real life, they would have had to reschedule the surgery. There is no way they would have let him have surgery when he wasn't fasting."

Oh and I hate Debbie too.

• Love 7

Does anyone else feel that too frequently other people are pushing Shaun to be or do something he isn't all that interested in being or doing? And besides the fact that I think Carly is creepy, no way I'd want hospital staff to know my private business.

I thought this episode was particularly boring. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, marcee said:

I hate Debbie. HATE WITH THE FIERY PASSION OF A THOUSAND SUNS. DESPISE. LOATHE. ABHOR

Not sure I would go that far, but, yeah, I dislike her immensely.  And, her working at the clinic with him is a horrible idea and I don't think she will back down from trying to totally take over how things are run.  She would not feel at liberty to do any of the annoying and improper stuff she did if not for their relationship.  I used to love the scenes with Dr Glassman, now she ruins them for me.

• Love 7

I have an issue with Debbie as well, but...I think we're supposed to? This is yet another episode where her and Glassman are having a serious fight, especially after Glassman told her last episode that they wouldn't work well together. I wasn't on Debbie's side. It's good to want to help him change things up...but she needs to TALK to him about it. She can't act like a boss and she honestly can't act like she's his equal who can make unilateral decisions because it's HIS clinic, first and farmost. They're married, but she's his employee. 

He'd listen to her if she talked to him, but she completely steamrolled him. So I'm glad she did try to apologize...but that was ruined by Glassman not allowing her to actually apologize profusely for overstepping. No wonder she was fired from her barista job; if she did what she did with Glassman, then she's not a very good employee. She means well, but she doesn't seem to get that she can't do whatever SHE wants. 

Their marriage truly is in danger already, which is no surprise because the two got married before they got to know each other.

I liked both cases of the week. I felt so bad for Bubble Girl (and thank goodness they finally had a female Bubble Kid, because it's usually a Bubble Boy). I liked how her and Shaun connected. I thought that both taught each other something, and I hope it cements Shaun's continuous growth.

And the boy kid going blind? Yes, there are many things that wouldn't happen in real life (ie Andrews allowing Claire and Morgan to bring the kid back on their own, the two finding the kid in the first place, the Slushie stuff). But it was a sweet story, with a hard ending to watch. The kid still went blind and the moment of him staring at his parents for the last time was probably one of the most powerful scenes of the season. 

I need Claire to start to move through her grief because, as much as I appreciate that she's not just over it, it's ridiculous that nobody's noticed besides Morgan. And, what's more is that Morgan hasn't told someone, even when it's clearly affected Claire's job. There's only so many ways you can tell someone to pull themselves together before you need to tell someone else. 

Melendez was not nice to Lim. Yes, having them be in a relationship while she's his boss is not a good idea, but what Melendez said wasn't appropriate. Melendez is taking out his grief on his girlfriend. It seems like he realizes it but also won't do anything about it right now. Well, at least it's SOMETHING with Melendez. He's kind of been neglected as a character for a while, so I'll take something character-driven with him.

• Love 11

I do know a couple of couples (casually) in the medical field where one spouse runs the office and the other does the doctoring.  It seems to work for them, but I am sure the spouses running the office side are nothing like the Debbie character. 

It would be interesting if either of the spouses felt the work relationship affected the personal on, but that is private and I will never know.

Shaun's relationship feels odd to me, but I don't personally know anyone on the spectrum so have not had an opportunity to interact and understand  how that feels.

One of the things I love about this show is that it provides an opportunity for me to witness a factor of life with which I am not familiar and gives me a small chance to learn.

Should I ever be in contact with someone on the spectrum I hope that I can behave appropriately based in part on things I have observed on this show.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, marcee said:

When the kid was looking at his parents for the last time, it broke me. Full on sobbing and blubbering. He really stared at their faces - didn't even blink. Like he was just memorizing everything he could.

I noticed that as well. The actor knocked it out of the park with that scene.

I really like how they're using the character of Lea now. She's in small spurts and they are supportive friends to each other. Perfect that way.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I need Claire to start to move through her grief because, as much as I appreciate that she's not just over it, it's ridiculous that nobody's noticed besides Morgan. And, what's more is that Morgan hasn't told someone, even when it's clearly affected Claire's job. There's only so many ways you can tell someone to pull themselves together before you need to tell someone else. 

I'd like to see Morgan tell Shaun and Park to try and get them to get through to Claire. On Grey's Anatomy they always showed residents helping each other/bonding, and I know it is a really different show, but I liked that aspect of it. And Shaun may actually be able to help Claire about loss.

And as much as I hate Claire having this storyline, I really like what it is giving Morgan to do. Her caring about someone else is nice.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, greekmom said:

I was going to post that boy if this was real life she would have been dismissed.  It was funny on tv. Not so funny in real life.

It really isn’t even funny on TV.  It is deplorable, in both instances.  He’s a child-she’s a grown woman in a position of authority.

21 hours ago, possibilities said:

Good news for the kid: boobs are even better to touch than to look at, so all is not lost.

On 11/11/2019 at 8:16 PM, TomGirl said:

That look on his face as they wheeled him out for surgery was adorable.

If the character would have been a girl that was going to be blind and wanted to see a penis, would one of the male residents have obliged her?  Would folks think it was adorable that he did so and even go so far as to suggest that the good news for her going forward is that a penis feels better than it looks, so all isn’t lost? 

Really?

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

When that boy was asking for Claire after the surgery, wanting to thank her too, I thought that was an implication that Claire had showed him her boobs too lol.  Turned out not to be the case, it appears.

I also liked Shaun's emoji impersonation.

Next week, a man is going to lose his penis to cancer, but he regrets that he is a virgin.  What will Reznick do?

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

If we're going to get real about it, the kid should have had blindness counseling, and yes, I think he should have been shown at least pictures of anything he wanted to see before losing his last eye.

But my perspective is that telling the kid that touching is at least as good as looking is not offensive and I don't understand why it would be considered to be.

Blindness is terrifying for sighted people. I personally have gone temporarily blind (for a few days at a time) for medical reasons and even with some skills in managing it, it's a huge, huge adjustment and very unsettling.

But I also have known full-time blind people, and it doesn't have to be the end of the world. His parents only focusing on the losses was understandable, but not helpful to him. So my saying "all is not lost" wrt breasts is because I genuinely believe that to be true, and a helpful and necessary thing to say to a kid in that position. Notably, no one on the show did say it, however. That came from me, not Reznik.

I also don't think Reznik showing her breasts is the same as her dropping trou, and it's also not as bad as bringing him to a strip club, though obviously it's a stupid way to handle the situation. The kid should have had much more preparation for losing his sight, and been given access to pictures or SOMETHING to answer his questions, and not at the very last second before going to the OR.

As ill-advised and TV-contrived as it was, however, comparing the lifting of her shirt to a doctor showing a child his penis is not a fair comparison, at least in my opinion. If she had climbed up on the table, stripped and spread her legs for him, then okay, fair comparison. But that didn't happen at all.

• Love 11
58 minutes ago, possibilities said:

As ill-advised and TV-contrived as it was, however, comparing the lifting of her shirt to a doctor showing a child his penis is not a fair comparison, at least in my opinion

A lot of people think the breast taboo is ridiculous and/or sexist anyway, so I tend to agree.  Also, I have no problem with what she did, it was an act of kindness.  But the real question here is what would be likely to happen to her in real life if someone found out about it?  Most likely she would at least lose her job (although I would hope not) and possibly her license.  A lot probably depends on the parents attitude about it, and if they want to push some sort of legal or civil action.

It also occurred to me that maybe they should just buy him a nudie magazine, but I'm not sure those even exist anymore.  They could easily find something to show him on the internet.  But being a curious kid, he's probably already seen pictures and/or videos.  The point for him was to see things in real life, I'm sure. 

I have to mention Shaun's emoji again, just because it was so funny.

• Love 2

The thing about Debbie is that she is far too pushy and inconsiderate.  She does steamroll Glassman, and he allows it.  He may initially speak up for himself, but he then he eventually gives in.  I don’t necessary agree that she is taking advantage of their relationship though.  As evidenced by her job in the coffee shop, she simply feels entitled do to whatever she wants and believes she is in the right.  

• Love 9
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

But the real question here is what would be likely to happen to her in real life if someone found out about it?  Most likely she would at least lose her job (although I would hope not) and possibly her license.  A lot probably depends on the parents attitude about it, and if they want to push some sort of legal or civil action.

In California, “flashing” is prosecutable as “indecent exposure” in the Penal Code, typically a misdemeanor offense, however, intentionally involving a child bumps it up to a felony.  All medical care workers are mandated reporters in California.  If someone at work found out about it and reported her, upon conviction she would lose her job, her license, have to do time in jail and register as a sex offender for at least 10 years, possibly more.

Since the boy was 12 and the age of consent in California is 18, I don’t think the parents get to decide if it will be prosecuted criminally, that would be up to the DA.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, rmontro said:

Next week, a man is going to lose his penis to cancer, but he regrets that he is a virgin.  What will Reznick do?

Well, she won’t have to offer the bouncer any money to let him in at the strip club, so there’s that. Lol

If she couldn’t hire a prostitute and it was getting down to the wire, though, at least it would be a consensual act between two adults.

9 hours ago, aemom said:

I really like how they're using the character of Lea now. She's in small spurts and they are supportive friends to each other. Perfect that way.

This is the only reason I'm still holding out hope for Debbie. The show figured out how to course correct with Lea and I'm hoping that they'll do the same here. Debbie is pushy, rude and entitled. Glassman isn't helping the situation at all by avoiding their conflicts with sex. I just would like a week where Glassman has a non-Debbie, non-cancer plot. I don't think that has happened since season 1 and a little balance would go a long way to making the times when we do see Debbie less frustrating.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, kicotan said:

In California, “flashing” is prosecutable as “indecent exposure” in the Penal Code

Thanks for the info, but is showing breasts really considered flashing?  Seems a bit extreme.  Especially considering aren't there laws allowing women to breast feed in public?  Well, there used to be, somewhere.  Not sure about California.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:29 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I really felt for the boy who lost his vision. I thought his acting was very good too. I was surprised the show went there with the breast reveal.....sort of illegal and that doctor better hope he never reveals it. Despite the circumstances, I don't think you get an exemption. That storyline really caused me to consider how an illness can totally change your life. And, yes...he needed therapy.

What did Shaun type on his phone at the end?

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:26 PM, greekmom said:

I was going to post that boy if this was real life she would have been dismissed.  It was funny on tv. Not so funny in real life.

12 hours ago, kicotan said:

It really isn’t even funny on TV.  It is deplorable, in both instances.  He’s a child-she’s a grown woman in a position of authority.

If the character would have been a girl that was going to be blind and wanted to see a penis, would one of the male residents have obliged her?  Would folks think it was adorable that he did so and even go so far as to suggest that the good news for her going forward is that a penis feels better than it looks, so all isn’t lost? 

Really?

I was reading through the whole thread, and was surprised that everyone was okay with the boob flashing, until I got to these comments.  I am not a prude, by any means, but I thought the same things that the above-mentioned posters thought about the situation.  Especially the bolded.  And I see some posters thereafter, trying to say boobs aren't the same as a penis, etc.  They are not "the same"--as in, yes the vagina is the female sexual organ in comparison to the penis--but breasts are still a private part.  Would you not teach your child (daughter, obviously) to tell you or another trusted adult if an adult touched her breasts?  "Now, honey.  It's okay if an adult touches your breasts, just not your vagina..." 

I know that Reznick is not a sexual predator, and she was trying to perform an act of kindness,  but she flashed her tits to a child, IN HER PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT.  Did you see the look on his face?  He was rolling into surgery with a belly full of slushies and a boner!  Some of the humor I enjoy/stand-up I listen to is incredibly offensive, and even *I* found this inappropriate.  To each her own, I suppose.  *shrugs*

17 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Charlie looked like a young 90s Devon Sawa.

I said to my husband:  "Why is this kid's hair and wardrobe Devon Sawa's, circa Little Giants?  What year is it?"  And his reply was, "Well, he is blind..." (this was the beginning of the ep, and he thought the kid was already blind before they explained the whole situation)  I am aware that is kind of mean, and I am also aware that some 90's fashions are back in style.

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:46 PM, preeya said:

I hope the relationship(s) ends. The show is a medical drama not a soap opera.

I blipped out at the end of the episode, but I thought that showing Melendez alone with his quiche and bottle of tequila was supposed to signify they DID break up.  Am I over-assuming?

• Love 1

I'm with Shaun on the emogies.  I notice that some of my friends are huge with them and then I feel compelled to respond back with them, but honestly, I'm only inclined to go with them on a birthday, congratulations or some holiday.  And, I"m not on the spectrum.  I don't think.   

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

I was reading through the whole thread, and was surprised that everyone was okay with the boob flashing, until I got to these comments.  I am not a prude, by any means, but I thought the same things that the above-mentioned posters thought about the situation.  Especially the bolded.  And I see some posters thereafter, trying to say boobs aren't the same as a penis, etc.  They are not "the same"--as in, yes the vagina is the female sexual organ in comparison to the penis--but breasts are still a private part.  Would you not teach your child (daughter, obviously) to tell you or another trusted adult if an adult touched her breasts?  "Now, honey.  It's okay if an adult touches your breasts, just not your vagina..." 

Breasts are still a private part, yes, and obviously a kid should be taught to tell someone about anyone touching them anywhere they aren't comfortable.

I think this was a sort of unique situation, because of the blindness and because the kid had said he wanted to see a naked woman. And showing her breasts was a sort of compromise about it. It reminded me of this movie back in the nineties where a bunch of tween boys try and hire a stripper (Melanie Griffith) so they can see a naked woman. She does eventually show them her breasts and that's it, except the main boy covered his eyes. Which is good, because she ends of marrying his widowed father. It was all presented as very sweet in that movie.

But anyway, it was definitely not appropriate, but Leah meant well and it made a sick kid happy, so it is kind of hard for me to get worked up about it.

• Love 3

In today's climate, any reference to something inappropriate with a minor is highly criticized.  I was even surprised that standards of the network let it slip through, because even the depiction of a minor with something sexual could be considered inappropriate. I get where they were going and how it was intended, but, today.....things like that are not well tolerated, so, I am surprised. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I really don't think breasts are the same as genitals.  I mean, yes, breasts are a private part, but only because our culture says they are.  Women have nipples, men have nipples.  Shrug.

I agree that what she did would be likely to be seen as inappropriate if higher ups found out about it.  Just don't expect me to be upset about it, there are more important things in the world to worry about.  And there were very special circumstances here.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, janey99 said:

I blipped out at the end of the episode, but I thought that showing Melendez alone with his quiche and bottle of tequila was supposed to signify they DID break up.  Am I over-assuming?

Wasn't there what looked like a casserole dish (or maybe quiche?) sitting on the counter with surhan wrap, and two plates set out? I thought he was waiting for Lim to come home. I have deleted the episode though so can't check.

It seems like every episode this season they do something that I think is not believable. In this case it was the kid being taken out of the hospital for a few fun hours, including driving a car in a parking lot. Even the flashes of the breasts I thought was less ridiculous that two doctors taking a patient out, and lying to the parents.

But then they show always pulls me back in by the end. This time is was the scene with the boy studying his parents faces, he conveyed so well that he was trying to commit their faces to memory. Great casting.

My other fav scene was Shaun imitating the emoji. Priceless! 

• Love 4