Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E15: The Orange Doesn’t Fall Far From The Tree

• Start Topic

A boring episode. It highlighted to me how unusual US university admissions seem to be. In Australia, your yr 11 and 12 results essentially give you a score /100 which you use to apply to any university in the country. The costs are the same everywhere, there are no high cost vs low cost universities, as long as you get the marks you can get into any university. 

• Useful 8
On 11/13/2019 at 8:40 PM, albarino said:

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I feel for Ryan. I was the oldest kid is a divorce situation and my half-sibs got the moon.  They still do.  One of them at age 43 has never even paid a mortgage (inherited the grandma's house).  I think the difference for me was that I knew I had to save myself. at age 15.  So I did.  

I do not want to minimize mental health issues but in my layman's opinion, Ryan needs to get really busy.  He'll be too tired to "introspect."  Tamra was a shit mother and HER mom is ignorant.  Ryan's life is very different from his half-sibs. I would encourage him to take up a trade and try to find joy in his life. Chefing is very popular right now.  How does he feel about that?

Where do you see OC going?  BW calmly stating she's had affairs/three-somes has out-Tamra'd Tamra.  I don't think they need Tams anymore. 

I would like to know more about Emily's practice and Shannon's business.  I would like to know more about BW's life with the kids, planning outings, planning life, etc.  I would like to see more of Kelly's humanitarian work.   

I am with you. I feel sorry for Ryan. I don't care how they are raised, when someone is that depressed, they need help. I hope he continues to seek help.   One thing, in the diary sessions he looks better and he looks like he is not as depressed. So he must have gotten some help, and he may be getting past it somewhat.  I also was the oldest in a divorce. But my mother was very cognizant of any problems. And I was just thrilled that she finally divorced my abusive father.... Even though the Catholic Church told her she shouldn't. 

My favorite new information is that Kelly got engaged and is going to marry some reporter. His last marriage lasted 9 months because he did it too quickly I think. So this was fast, so we'll see how long it lasts.

Edited by antfitz
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I heard it and basically thought, "Why are you going out and breathing your flu on people?"

I liked how she was leaning across the table to tell Tamra that, as if to breathe on her, or at least her plate and utensils.

I don't think Tamra qualifies as "people". 

Edited by SweetieDarling
I know you meant innocent bystanders and passers by
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2

Did the OC housewives have a BH marathon viewing party? 

The chess playing reference

Accusing each other of being calculating

Accusing each other of being puppet masters

Tamra's Rinna-like amnesia (Did I say that? I don't remember saying that)

Printed out text messages used as proof/evidence against each other

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

You know, this is a really good point, about which I have never given a thought.  I know Wikipedia says Tamra is from Glendale, but her blog said she was from Glendora, and once I read that, I remembered she had said it on the show.  She also made no bones about being working class.

Glendora, 20 miles east of downtown LA, in the San Gabriel Valley.

I have been to the west coast, and I have family there, but I don't know it the way I know the east coast.

Given the info about Tamra and Shannon's initial locations and stations in life, though, it seems like this would be the equivalent of RHOC's Gina who is from the working class hamlet of North Babylon, in Suffolk County, NY trying to hang with the multi-millionaire Bethenny who lives in TriBeCa.  (I hate Bethenny more than I hate Gina, but I could not imagine the two having anything in common).  

How did Tamra manage this?

I used to work in Glendora and my husband was born and raised there, and it is not "working class."  In fact, google tells me that the median household income in Glendora is $86.442 while in Orange County it is $86,217.  Of course, she was at GHS in the late 80's...about 5 years ahead of my husband. Even then, Glendora was a wealthy suburb of LA, though perhaps not wealthier by average than OC at that time.

• Useful 2

All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again. On this and other franchises.

Just off the top of my head, in the reunion for Gretchen's final season (season 8?), she whipped out a bunch of printed text messages as proof/evidence.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, SweetieDarling said:

Did the OC housewives have a BH marathon viewing party? 

Now they just need a sniper from the side!!

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
On 11/12/2019 at 9:36 PM, whydoievencare said:

Why does Gina have a big smile on her face when talking about how jealous her husband is?  So odd.

Honestly, that whole discussion where she's painting him as wanting her so much, wanting to be back together, and being so jealous, makes me think she set up the whole domestic assault thing.  Like she's the crazy one who hurt herself then had him come over.  She strikes me as the "if I can't have you, no one can" type.  Of course, he was arrested so I'm assuming there was some evidence, but she seems crazy AF to do that.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ElisaMarie said:

I used to work in Glendora and my husband was born and raised there, and it is not "working class."  In fact, google tells me that the median household income in Glendora is $86.442 while in Orange County it is $86,217.  Of course, she was at GHS in the late 80's...about 5 years ahead of my husband. Even then, Glendora was a wealthy suburb of LA, though perhaps not wealthier by average than OC at that time.

For southern california, that income can still be considered “working class”. Median income for wealthier cities is well into 6 figures. Glendora can’t be compared to Orange County; you are comparing a city versus a huge county, which includes very wealthy to low income cities. Newport Beach median is over $119K, for instance. Coto median income is $165K

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 11/13/2019 at 3:42 PM, amarante said:

While I agree that you don't just "snap out of" a clinical depression, I don't think Eddie was wrong in stating the obvious. Perhaps he should have said "adult" instead of "man", but at a certain point, you don't blame your childhood for the crapfest you have made of your life. Even therapists don't have people wallow around ad nauseum excusing their current terrible life choices based on the poor parenting they experienced. Background is just helpful in explaining and understanding why one might be experiencing stuff in a certain way - obviously I am over simplifying therapy but my point is that nobody lies on a couch talking endlessly about their childhood with most of modern therapeutic treatment plans.

Ryan has had more opportunities than many people to make something of himself at this point. 

In terms of other spawn, I believe that Sophie wound up at Baylor which is some kind of Baptist affiliated college in Texas. With all due respect to Baylor, it doesn't seem as though it would be especially difficult to get into nor would anyone but a wealthy person pay tuition to send a California kid there when one is guaranteed admission to a UC after two years. If sending outside of California, there are certainly more desirable schools - even in the South. No Southern prejudice here as I am a U of Virginia grad :-).

While Tamra might have funded Cut, I believe that Eddie was earning a good living at the law firm. It was enough so that he had bought himself a fairly nice house that Tamra originally moved into. I would imagine that whatever he was doing was not his passion versus being involved in the fitness industry which truly seems to be something that is his dream occupation.

I'm going to give Eddie a break on his comments because he's had a front seat view of Ryan that we don't get.  I feel sorry for Ryan in some way because he certainly is depressed, but I also think he's perfectly content blaming all of his life choices on his childhood.  Yeah, sucks that his parents weren't there for him, but he apparently has a loving grandmother and wasn't abused, malnourished as far as we know.  His anger towards his parents is justified.  But he can't continue to blame them for his poor life choices and bemoan the opportunities he doesn't think he had.  He's an adult that brought a child into this world.  He could very easily do things to make his life better.  I'm guessing he isn't THAT upset at Tamra that he won't take a handout; he just doesn't want to have to work for that handout.  He's not THAT upset at Tamra to not be on the show.  

There are a lot of depressed people with shitty childhoods that do manage to get through life on their own.  They get counseling, they get medicated if need be, they work hard.  They are introspective and take responsibility for their bad decisions.  When have we heard Ryan take responsibility for ANY of his choices?  I feel like Ryan wants Tamra to fund him and will guilt her for his "shitty" childhood for the rest of his life.  He wants success; he wants success without having to work for it.  He probably thought he was going to get there through that CutFitness bullshit and now realizes that he can't sap off Tamra for the rest of her life because she's not going to be capable of that.  I'll bet that Eddie has seen this and the manipulation first hand.

I'd also bet that were it not for his depression being a storyline, he wouldn't be in front of a therapist.  Is he medicated?  I bet he has never sought anti-depression meds.  Not that it would cure it, but I guarantee you he's done ZERO to get himself mentally healthy until it became his mom's storyline.   

That said, I really hope he does get help he clearly needs.  But part of that help has to be taking responsibility for his own failures.  

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, ElisaMarie said:

I take your point.  I believe what you say, of course, as you're in a better position to judge than almost anyone else.  I wasn't calling Glendora itself working class, though, I was saying that from what I had gathered from what Tamra has said about her background, that she personally had been raised working class. 

Tamra made Glendora seem like an outpost, sort of the way Gwen Stefani wonders how she ever got popular, being "this loser from Anaheim."  From the few facts I gathered independently about Glendora, I was saying it was geographically far from the greater LA area, not about how rich or poor its people are.

I also don't think working class and middle class are incompatible.  That's what I was taught in school, anyway.  I generally use "working class" for people who are blue collar, and "middle class" or "upper middle class" for people who are white collar, but they're all middle class.  For instance, no one is going hungry in a working class home.  I would never substitute "working class" for "poor" or anything.  I don't think Tamra grew up poor.  I don't think many Housewives grew up poor.  Leeanne Locken is the only one who comes to mind.  I think there are things that Adriana from Miami and Nene from Atlanta have said to lead me to believe they had been poor at times in the past.  That's about it.

I also think the figure of median household income is misleading and I'm not entirely sure why data is collected that way, but it is.  But if we round up and say the median household income is $90k, and the average family size in Glendora is three (I looked it up), and we assume one person is a child, and there are two working parents, that means the median income is about $45k, which is not high in California at all.  Or there are three adults living together, each making $30k, or there is one breadwinner who is raising two kids on $90k.  If it's considered a wealthy suburb, which I have no reason to disbelieve, there have got to be people who are making well less than that to offset the wealthy people, and perhaps Tama's family was one of them.

In my post, i compared Glendora to Gina's hometown of North Babylon, NY, which has a higher median household income of $95k, and I don't have to do any research to call it working class; i was there about a year ago, and there's no other way for me to describe how I perceived North Babylon. 

None of them are slums, in any case.  I'm sure there are good people raising good children (Gina and Tamra notwithstanding) in both places. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Same here.  My parents were hard working immigrants.  My poor Mother had to work her whole life with three kids.  She never came up to open school night or anything pertaining to school.  No one helped me with my homework and I went to school a nervous wreck.  I had a neighbor help me with my math.  Our house was dismal as she was always tired.  Taking stenography, bookkeeping and typing landed me a nice job in the city where I started to have a life.  I bought a phone for the house and other things.  I don’t blame them as it was a sign of the times.  They did the best they could with what they had, but I had no guidance, so basically, I did everything on my own.  I don’t feel sorry for Ryan.  My younger sister was treated the same, went and got her PhD.  And became very successful on her own with no help from anyone.  The key to a successful life is DESIRE, which Ryan does not have.  You’re not going to get it from Mommy and Daddy.   P.s.  My mother always said when you get depresses, get on your knees and scrub the floor and work it out.

THIS!!  I had very supportive parents and my Mom even offered to pay for school if I chose to go back. But I didn't have the desire to do it and I didn't want to waste her money if I knew it wasn't what I wanted to do. I chose to just work full time and enjoy my free time after work. I was never going to be one of those dedicated people who work full time and go to night school, I just know that about myself (i know, sad but true).  So in my experience, it didn't matter that I had the support, I just didn't have the motivation within myself to push harder and aim higher. I feel like Ryan is the same way, but he also thinks he is "too good" to work a regular job like the rest of us. He just wants it to fall in his lap with minimal or no effort at all. 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, MissFeatherbottom said:

THIS!!  I had very supportive parents and my Mom even offered to pay for school if I chose to go back. But I didn't have the desire to do it and I didn't want to waste her money if I knew it wasn't what I wanted to do. I chose to just work full time and enjoy my free time after work. I was never going to be one of those dedicated people who work full time and go to night school, I just know that about myself (i know, sad but true).  So in my experience, it didn't matter that I had the support, I just didn't have the motivation within myself to push harder and aim higher. I feel like Ryan is the same way, but he also thinks he is "too good" to work a regular job like the rest of us. He just wants it to fall in his lap with minimal or no effort at all. 

This is my belief as well.  Is he depressed? Yes.  Is his anger justified as his parents that supposedly abandoned him?  Sure.  But I feel like what Ryan really wants is his mom to open her pocket books and fund his lifestyle and be able to continually guilt her into it.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I absolutely loved being in a sorority.  It was a great experience for me.  Great girls, lots of fun!  What you are describing is far from what I ever saw or knew.  

I know that stuff like that happens.  I’ve heard of some terrible things happening.  Some stuff can be exaggerated.  I know that as in life, all sororities are different. I just hate to see Greek life painted with a “bad” brush.  It can be a really great, positive experience. 

Some may be just fine.  I see them when they are partying and have spoken to other venues. I am also pretty tight with a lot of local security.  Seriously, things I have witnessed would curl your toes.  BAD!  Like I said this isn't all of them but many.   Once you read police reports from a college town your eyes are wide open.  I have also read reports and spoken to officers about things that have happened to young men.  All I would recommend is a lot of caution and never leave your drink unattended and have a sober buddy.  But I do know this isn't all of them and I am glad  your experience was not what I have seen.

I wonder how Shannon will deal with her daughter being so far away?  Sophie seems like a nice girl.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, chewycandy said:

Didn’t Gretchen also go to Baylor?

Is Waco close to San Antonio?  I know Gretchen took some of her castmates to San Antonio in season six, and she said the river walk reminded her of college.

I wonder if that's how she met her ex-husband.

17 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

^^^

I am a little hesitant to admit this, but I am such a geography nerd that this stuff fascinates me.  If it were up to me, I would ask endless, seemingly pointless questions about the locales of all the franchises and their surrounding areas.  But if I did that, no one would speak to me lol!

You’d be surprised... Obviously everybody loves giving each other directions around this area...about traffic…and so much is based on landmarks/business places...🥴...true to all dat...!...

And...we have our trusted source....ALL the latest traffic updates on KNX 1070 AM station....

I’ve listen to it so much I’m not sure but I think it’s 1070!!! Saved me hours being in wrong lanes approaching a problematic freeway situation....

every six minutes you can get an update..especially helpful...as mentioned before...to know what lane to avoid

ESPECIALLY when you’re going over the pass on 405 south/north bound near Sunset next to the Getty...
we would love your queries!!!👌👍

after all...like SNL skit...we are “Kalifournyuns”.... aka the Californians....

we love to help out geographical dependent peeps...😆 because we all (locals)...we HAVE to have geographic acumen!!! Hahaha😂 

we love it!!! ..and we know it!!!

Edited by Shellbell59
On 11/13/2019 at 4:10 PM, Natalie68 said:

To me, Tamra looked like a very bad actor in that scene with Shannon.  I don't know if she and Shannon planned this out but it did not have a feel of authenticity to me at least on Tamra's side.  I think she sees that she can easily be Gunvalsoned and that Kelly fills the role of loud/brash/classless OC woman that she currently holds.  Also, with Braunwyn thirsty and willing to do whatever sexually on film that takes over another role that T filled.  She has nearly run out of usefulness.  I mean, truth be told, she is TOTALLY useless to ME but to the franchise she looks easily replaced by other women willing to go THERE when others haven't really been competition is the no fucks to give category.

I also have no fucks to give re rat faced Ryan.  Yes it sucks to be him but whatevs.

I also thought wow, that scene was so acted.  And badly acted.  

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Is Waco close to San Antonio?  I know Gretchen took some of her castmates to San Antonio in season six, and she said the river walk reminded her of college.

Waco is about 3 hours from San Antonio.  Students will take weekend trips to Austin, San Antonio, New Braunfels (also nearby) for river rafting.   

I didn't know Gretchen went to Baylor!  That must have been when she looked human.

I think Sophie will love Baylor.  It seems like a perfect fit.  Waco folks.....look for Shannon Beador sightings!

Edited by Sterling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Is it wrong that reading "rat faced" on her as the nickname for Ryan always confuses me when Gina's mom is in an episode. She's got a serious face of it.

Emily:  "We've got a Dr. and a lawyer and...Kelly."  Loved Kelly's face of "I want to kill you." was priceless.  I would've wanted to kill Emily too.  That was fucking rude.

Edited by sasha206
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 11/14/2019 at 10:32 AM, Shellbell59 said:

Oh...! Good for her!!!

she mentioned SMU....and another...I wondered if she’d try TCU????

They are all “southern“...or I should say Texas Christian colleges..=private...So Shannon will be up for that…” I hope you find a southern boy… To take care of you“...

And her kid was never going to get into USC… Let’s face it…LOL…

This is a real and strange phenomenon among some girls from OC (not most Uni High girls though, haha); a lot of them go to certain southern schools (Baylor, TCU, SMU, Alabama, etc.).  I asked one of my friends who has high school-aged girls why this is the case given California has some pretty good colleges and universities, so why these schools (Duke, Vanderbilt, Emory, UVA I can see, but these schools???)?  She basically said the same thing...to: 1) pledge a sorority; and 2) find a husband.  When I said there are plenty of California schools with very active greek lives, she said, "Most of them can't get in to these schools." 

Edited by la patineuse
  • Useful 2
10 minutes ago, la patineuse said:

This is a real and strange phenomenon among some girls from OC (not most Uni High girls though, haha); a lot of them go to certain southern schools (Baylor, TCU, SMU, Alabama, etc.).  I asked one of my friends who has high school-aged girls why this is the case given California has some pretty good colleges and universities, and these schools (Duke, Vanderbilt, Emory, UVA I can see, but these schools???)?  She basically said the same thing...to: 1) pledge a sorority; and 2) find a husband.  When I said there are plenty of California schools with very active greek lives, she said, "Most of them can't get in to these schools." 

The thing about the Southern schools is that.....they're Southern schools.  They're simply not the same "feel" as a California school.

There's a sense of Southern-ness that can't be mimicked anywhere else.  That's why they choose these schools.  

That's exactly why Sophie chose where she chose, for the Southern-ness.  She wants a Southern gentleman, she wants to wear white frilly dresses and sip pink punch at sorority parties with girls she'll raise her future kids with.  I keep saying this, but Sophie made an excellent choice.  She will love Baylor, and she'll fit right in.

Also, I keep reading that Sophie chose Baylor because it's "easy" to get in.  I don't know what most people's definition of "easy" is, but it's a 3.68 GPA + SAT in top 25th percentile.  Sophie is doing something right to have been accepted.

And no, I didn't go to Baylor, but I know many, many people who did....all top notch.

Edited by Sterling
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, Shellbell59 said:

Yep... Just get on the 210...you’ll hit Glendale..but perhaps I may should clarify..🤣

If you’re coming south off the five or if you’re coming north of the five or if you’re going south on the 405 to the 101 get back north..and pass the 118...

and then north again on 5......regardless... just make sure your eastbound “and down”on the 210..no matter what!...Glendale...and......you’ll pass… Pasadena wave at Erica Jane..then☝️🤔?...Baldwin park… I think you’ll go through Monrovia but I can’t be certain of that… At this moment…

Eventually on the 210..you’ll get to Glendora and if you keep on going you’ll finally get to Rancho Cucamonga… Then it’s nothing but green all the way to Las Vegas baby…😂

Just kidding

i had to pull all my local Freeways...like SNL...Caleefournyuns...The Californians...hilarious 😆

They know their way around… As you all know

”Geytoudda here! And get on the 405 until you can’t take it anymore!”....wha....”all the way to Veentura?”....hahaha..It cracks me up every time

thank you Bill Hader and Fred Armisen!!!

Haha, this is so true.  But the sad reality is this is because we spend so much time on the freeways and we also have to know how to navigate and know alternative routes when there is a sigalert or a traffic jam on the freeway we're on.  Or we have to (really want to, not have to) know what the fastest route is even if it means changing freeways four times instead of taking a more direct, but more time consuming, route.

• LOL 1
12 minutes ago, Sterling said:

Also, I keep reading that Sophie chose Baylor because it's "easy" to get in.  I don't know what most people's definition of "easy" is, but it's a 3.68 GPA + SAT in top 25th percentile.  Sophie is doing something right to have been accepted.

Didn't she say she had just over a 4.0? She definitely strikes me as a girl who was working hard in school so she could have some options.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Didn't she say she had just over a 4.0? She definitely strikes me as a girl who was working hard in school so she could have some options.

She'd need a higher weighted GPA (and other stellar qualifications) to get into most UC campuses, Stanford, the Claremont Colleges, and yes, even USC.  Baylor's acceptance rate is almost 40%, which says it is not a very selective university.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, la patineuse said:

She'd need a higher weighted GPA (and other stellar qualifications) to get into most UC campuses, Stanford, the Claremont Colleges, and yes, even USC.  Baylor's acceptance rate is almost 40%, which says it is not a very selective university.

Apologies, it was not my intent to make an argument for or against different schools, but to point out the excellent choice Sophie made for herself.

She just strikes me as a very sweet, grounded child.  She's not running around with inflated injected lips, trying to Insta-herself into fame.  She seems to want the most normal life possible, and I'm here for it.

Edited by Sterling
  • Love 14
4 minutes ago, Sterling said:

This thread has turned into an argument about different schools, when my intent was to point out that Baylor, with its community, alumni, and student population, is a great choice for Sophie, given what she said she was looking for in a school.

She just strikes me as a very sweet, grounded child.  She's not running around with inflated injected lips, trying to Insta-herself into fame.  She seems to want the most normal life possible, and I'm here for it.

Yes, good for Sophie.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, la patineuse said:

Yes...unfortunate....maybe...

but being above a 4.0 GPA isn’t uncommon...with all the over achievers out there and ‘weighted’ system..

at times it’s parents..forcing kids into situations...(in years since my kids’ college experiences..it has all become odd and wildly competitive.......

Back in day...(it was closing in on being a duck storm of competition...but thankfully ...I was able to have 3 in UCLA...and one in Pepperdine...once again...🙏thankfully when a 3.98...to 4.2s GPAs were good enough... ...

😤and NO...they were NOT fake Crew Team members....and I did NOT bribe anybody with 500K... lol....😁

(I just HAD to add a Lori/ Felicity joke in there....)

Marry me!!!!🤣

my nipple...(ummm”point) is....

kids have a tough time today....

(☝️....hah unless they’re rich kids....so...their main objectives are:

1: Spirit

2: Greek Life

3: Alumni always setting them up...sticking with them...

in other words..☝️?....
keep the person in a job..or...☝️...OR....OUT of jail....lol)

Hey!!! Everybody should check out UNIVERSITY OF OKOBOJI....!!!wonderful place...I especially like the “wet campus”! 😂 

(it’s a University of a “State of Mind” in Iowa....I  ducking LOVE Iowa!!!!!! Smart AF...funny ppl!!!)

I also love me a pork tenderloin or 10 when I visit

Edited by Shellbell59
  • Love 1

Ryan squandered everything opportunity he’s been given. He could have worked with Simon, Eddie or I’m sure they would send him for training if he wanted to learn a vocation. Sure, his childhood was different than his siblings but he has the same financial support as they do even though he’s old enough to stand on his own too feet. I doubt most of us are subsidized by our parents or would even want or expect that. 

I wouldn’t wish Tambags on anyone but if she’s so toxic, stop being around her. He’s a user just like his mother. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, sasha206 said:

I'd also bet that were it not for his depression being a storyline, he wouldn't be in front of a therapist.  Is he medicated?  I bet he has never sought anti-depression meds.  Not that it would cure it, but I guarantee you he's done ZERO to get himself mentally heal

Ryan does have a job .. on the show, and he’s been getting more air time than some of the others.  I’m sure Tamra made sure of that, and if Tamra ever goes, so will Ryan and his paycheck.  I doubt that will never happen.  She probably copped a plea to Andy.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I noticed that Ryan is on a lot now, and it’s not pleasant to watch and not what I expect from a show.  Whenever he is on, I just fast forward.  Thanks Tamra, you made this show worse than it is already.  The only one I like to watch these days is Kelly.  She’s nuts, but she makes me laugh.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Sterling said:

There's a sense of Southern-ness that can't be mimicked anywhere else.  That's why they choose these schools.  

ITA.  Just last week i was watching college football and I started wondering why I didn't go to Mississippi State for undergrad.  

I think you have to factor in the weather too, because midwestern schools can be charming like southern ones, but who wants to freeze for the majority of the school year?

I also think there's going away, and there's going away.  If someone is from OC, even Berkeley can be a car-ride away (just ask Jeana and Kara).  I went to school so deep in the south that it was no longer quite the south (Miami), but it was still a completely different, immersive experience that no northern schools that I'd been to could touch, and it really helped me to grow up to know that some serious shit would have to go down in order for my parents to hop a flight to see me.

No wonder these girls are going to Texas.  Michael went as far as Colorado and Vicki still tracked him down unawares. 😀 Jeana and Vicki ambushed Shane in Arizona!

I know what it feels like to have an affinity for Southern-ness and I'm so glad I got to experience it.  I wouldn't trade it for the world (I know, I know, I know, Miami ain't exactly Tuscaloosa, but some of our teachers were so old that they still had southern accents, I was surrounded by people from neighboring states, and you only had to drive a few hours north to get to the south), and, as was said up thread, that can't be duplicated for someone like me, so I get it.

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, Shellbell59 said:

Heart is bleeding for her...them...NOT!!!!!

gawd...just go away.....both of you!!!😣😡

Oh no !!!!!  I don’t believe this.  Does anyone on this board know someone with depression and tells the world????  This is the last ditch to get that orange.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, la patineuse said:

Haha, this is so true.  But the sad reality is this is because we spend so much time on the freeways and we also have to know how to navigate and know alternative routes when there is a sigalert or a traffic jam on the freeway we're on.  Or we have to (really want to, not have to) know what the fastest route is even if it means changing freeways four times instead of taking a more direct, but more time consuming, route.

KNX 1070...weather and traffic every 6 minutes...it rules!!!!

...and weather doesn’t change much...turns into fire evacuation warning (sadly)...

I remember hearing one time… It’s Southern California… We have two seasons?… Yep that was the ticket…silly as it is...

Oscars...and Emmy seasons....or “night and day” is another clever one....haha 😆

I love The Califournyuns!!!.

...And Bill Hader has been on some talkshows speaking about how it came to fruition… The whole skit… That resulted from everybody coming back from California for the next taping of SNL and they all talked about trying to get to the airport on time to make their flight… Fred Armisen said guess what I made a skit about it and it’s going to be a soap opera concept just flow with it dude…😂🥴🥴

you tube  “Every Californians Ever” 😂😂😂🤣👍 parts 1 and 2...literally LOL...

Devon and Stewaaaart... lol

Devon has “broken hearts everywhere.... from to Redondo Beach....up the 405 to the 5 in Santa Clarita...and then back south to 210 East...to Rancho Cucamonga… and San Bernardino ...broken hearts everywhere!!!”

Devon...just go and take San Vicente to the 10..take it to the 405...north to Mulholland where he BELONGS!!!!😆

It’s funny how Bill Hader said that Fred Armisen tried to be as accurate as possible and study freeways in Los Angeles to write the skit… Cute

Edited by Shellbell59
  • Love 1

I LOVED "The Californians" skits!!!  I'm not even from CA (although I lived there for awhile) and I found them hysterical.  Between the how-to-get-there directions and the OTT facial expressions and frozen "last shot" so typical of soap operas, they just made me giggle!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I take your point.  I believe what you say, of course, as you're in a better position to judge than almost anyone else.  I wasn't calling Glendora itself working class, though, I was saying that from what I had gathered from what Tamra has said about her background, that she personally had been raised working class. 

Tamra made Glendora seem like an outpost, sort of the way Gwen Stefani wonders how she ever got popular, being "this loser from Anaheim."  From the few facts I gathered independently about Glendora, I was saying it was geographically far from the greater LA area, not about how rich or poor its people are.

I also don't think working class and middle class are incompatible.  That's what I was taught in school, anyway.  I generally use "working class" for people who are blue collar, and "middle class" or "upper middle class" for people who are white collar, but they're all middle class.  For instance, no one is going hungry in a working class home.  I would never substitute "working class" for "poor" or anything.  I don't think Tamra grew up poor.  I don't think many Housewives grew up poor.  Leeanne Locken is the only one who comes to mind.  I think there are things that Adriana from Miami and Nene from Atlanta have said to lead me to believe they had been poor at times in the past.  That's about it.

I also think the figure of median household income is misleading and I'm not entirely sure why data is collected that way, but it is.  But if we round up and say the median household income is $90k, and the average family size in Glendora is three (I looked it up), and we assume one person is a child, and there are two working parents, that means the median income is about $45k, which is not high in California at all.  Or there are three adults living together, each making $30k, or there is one breadwinner who is raising two kids on $90k.  If it's considered a wealthy suburb, which I have no reason to disbelieve, there have got to be people who are making well less than that to offset the wealthy people, and perhaps Tama's family was one of them.

In my post, i compared Glendora to Gina's hometown of North Babylon, NY, which has a higher median household income of $95k, and I don't have to do any research to call it working class; i was there about a year ago, and there's no other way for me to describe how I perceived North Babylon. 

None of them are slums, in any case.  I'm sure there are good people raising good children (Gina and Tamra notwithstanding) in both places. 

Location location location....

im currently living in 5200 square foot home in Fresno..(here to be near grandkids after daughter met my wonderful son in law while we were up at Bass Lake...

anyway...it’s Huge....it’s worth (maebe 500k?)..unbelievable!!!but I’m inland..but it’s not Bass Lake or Yosemite...

.. I own homes in Ventura...2 near beach.(5 houses back but overlook State beach..and Ventura Pier...the another 8 houses back but no view...both down on Pierpont Lanes.(2200 sq ft...and 3200 square feet)...then one near VTa college..

(1100sq ft...( this is the same house 30 yr old kid jumped through my kitchen windows earlier in week)...

this one near college? 1100 sq ft built in 1954...never remodeled is on Zillow..est at 687K.... bought in 1988 for 92K

it’s ridiculous...but true...

cant really compare...it’s all about location...like I said in another post...is Kelly Dodd house “condemned” who gives a fuch through the hole of a rolling doughnut? She has THE MOST valuable domicile if the group...(not considering Dubrows)...Tear downs are a premium... Those little bungalows that use to be vacation homes from ppl inland??? On fire...real estate heaven ...Tear that motherfucker down and build up three stories (actually in Ventura...we are only aloud 2 2/3 stories..Coastal Commission Requirements..)

anyway...you go from 2.5 million to about 8.5 -15 million real quick depending...

oh forgot...only exception to water frontage would be “Golden locations..or natural convergence locations” like Ojai..where I’m from and we have family homes there and farm avos and citrus...Med climate...awesome!!!.

Similar to another more popular universal convergence place...Santa Fe New Mexico..I can’t remember them all there are several...but they have a certain magic to them...these special locations...Value..? I’m not sure...here...Ojai... well...it’s SoCal Carmel....a lot of celebrities live in Ojai...highest per capita private school population...at the time...anyway that’s all I know

Ive seen local Reality shows ..the cast members go to Ojai...It’s easily commutable to Hollywood and Los Angeles..

and on the arcade in Ojai...guaranfucking teed Nobody will EVER bother you Jerry Bruckheimer...Anthony what’s his name? Hannibal??? Ellen DG and wife..and mother..

(funny group..lots of parties...Everybody gets invited for the “” finger food”… Cool bunch of chicks 

I REALLY tried to do Caleefournyuns accent...😂🥴😜😜

So much BS.

.hah! But true!!! Lol...fuck me twice on Tuesday..lol!! 🤣

Edited by Shellbell59
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Sterling said:

Waco is about 3 hours from San Antonio.  Students will take weekend trips to Austin, San Antonio, New Braunfels (also nearby) for river rafting.   

I didn't know Gretchen went to Baylor!  That must have been when she looked human.

I think Sophie will love Baylor.  It seems like a perfect fit.  Waco folks.....look for Shannon Beador sightings!

Oh god please don’t let there be an appearance by the unctuous Joana Gaines. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Silver Bells said:

Oh no !!!!!  I don’t believe this.  Does anyone on this board know someone with depression and tells the world????  This is the last ditch to get that orange.

Yes, it is. Tamra used to have Eddie Pussy standing in the background of her Intro/tagline. Now we see pig nose Pussy Ryan in the background. Tamra doesn't have ANYTHING interesting/funny/compelling to add to HER storyline and she's so f'n desperate, she thinks Little Piggy Ryan can make her secure her OC orange.

Tres Dumbfucks...Tamra, Ryan and Eddie.

• LOL 2
6 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Yes, it is. Tamra used to have Eddie Pussy standing in the background of her Intro/tagline. Now we see pig nose Pussy Ryan in the background. Tamra doesn't have ANYTHING interesting/funny/compelling to add to HER storyline and she's so f'n desperate, she thinks Little Piggy Ryan can make her secure her OC orange.

Tres Dumbfucks...Tamra, Ryan and Eddie.

Hahaha .. the BEST line ever!  Three new shiny necklaces coming up, and Ryan should pay for them.  People have known about depression for years.  Why does Tamra have to exploit it on t.v. now, if not to get that orange.  What else does she have going besides her son?  Everyone is fully aware already.  We don’t need Tamra to educate us.

• Love 2

I’m going to be crass now.  If Tamra wants to gain attention and not use her son, she should write a book “aHow to Get a Man in Ten Days by Christian Tamra Judge.  Giving BJ’s and running around naked with bouncing fake boobs in the pool or bathtub.  ( I couldn’t help it).

• LOL 2
22 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

What else does she have going 

NOTHING. Here's my recap of Tamrat"s storylines: 

married trophy wife to Simon  and the "hottest" OC housewife. Haha and lol!

She decides she wants a divorce from controlling husband Simon and becomes the cougar version of Girls Gone Wild

She starts drinking heavily and behaving like a Supertramp all the while knowing she's the mother of (fuck, I can't recall) many children.

Then she meets Eddie who is enticed by Tamra's looks, breasts and Bravo paycheck. And her love of anal sex.

Then we get the boring OTT wedding of anal Eddie and T balls.

next Tamra starts showing us her tits every chance she gets. The wet t shirt baptism. It's Saddleback church. Oh wait no it's not. It's some Mission Viejo Christian Church that she never attends.

then it's a fitness competition showing her assets to everyone. 

then it's mommy Tamra renting a home for Piggy wiggy nose Ryan and his gf with 8 kids.

Then it's Tamra getting naked numerous times. Like who da phuck wants to see what we've already seen a hundred times before. 

I could go on with my list of T-Balls desperate attempts to keep her orange but she's not drawing in the viewers/fans anymore. 

Edited by chenoa333
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

NOTHING. Here's my recap of Tamrat"s storylines: 

married trophy wife to Simon  and the "hottest" OC housewife. Haha and lol!

She decides she wants a divorce from controlling husband Simon and becomes the cougar version of Girls Gone Wild

She starts drinking heavily and behaving like a Supertramp all the while knowing she's the mother of (fuck, I can't recall) many children.

Then she meets Eddie who is enticed by Tamra's looks, breasts and Bravo paycheck. And her love of anal sex.

Then we get the boring OTT wedding of anal Eddie and T balls.

next Tamra starts showing us her tits every chance she gets. The wet t shirt baptism. It's Saddleback church. Oh wait no it's not. It's some Mission Viejo Christian Church that she never attends.

then it's a fitness competition showing her assets to everyone. 

then it's mommy Tamra renting a home for Piggy wiggy nose Ryan and his gf with 8 kids.

Then it's Tamra getting naked numerous times. Like who da phuck wants to see what we've already seen a hundred times before. 

I could go on with my list of T-Balls desperate attempts to keep her orange but she's not drawing in the viewers/fans anymore. 

Wow, just wow.  I didn’t know half of your brilliant summation.  Very good.

• Love 3
On 11/12/2019 at 6:09 PM, Mr. Miner said:

Does Bravo really think people want to watch a rat face therapy session? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I do.   I've always felt for Ryan and I think his parts of the show are interesting.  That's just me though.  Im in the extreme minority that I have also always liked Tamra.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Sterling said:

Baylor's acceptance rate is almost 40%, which says it is not a very selective university.

Let's not go there.  Why would people who can't afford Baylor even apply?  I really hate the snob factor about colleges/universities we seem to be exhibiting.  

My hair dresser has a daughter in college and she asked me if people really cared about where somebody went to school.  My experience is NO (unless Ivy League).  Nobody cares where you went to school.  Get a job and move on.

Tell yourself USC is better than Baylor/TCU/ASU and I'll laugh.  Get a degree, get a job and move on.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Is that near BASS LAKE!!!!!! ??

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Thumper said:

I LOVED "The Californians" skits!!!  I'm not even from CA (although I lived there for awhile) and I found them hysterical.  Between the how-to-get-there directions and the OTT facial expressions and frozen "last shot" so typical of soap operas, they just made me giggle!

Ditto...I can’t stop...no TRULY I cannot stop laughing...

the frozen “last shot”... sent it over the top...for me anyway...
it’s fun to have a good laugh...a great memory once in awhile...and BEST when we are making fun of ourselves...IMO...

I made an “over the top” very “Calufournyun” post earlier...but I doubt anybody “got” the it...

Omg...it was so ridiculously over top self aggrandizing...😆😆😆🥴 that was my intention...lost in translation...I guess...😏

whatevvveeeerrrrrr!!! Hahaha lmao!!!!

I am going to get on the 99 and go north...through all the “M” towns..(Madera..Merced..Modesto...Manteca...then...Ripon ...and then then...”Rip off”...and next...Waxon and “Wax off”)

im gonna...keep going...until I get to Saaaaacrammmmento...and switch over to the 5....go past the airport in Woodland...keep going through Red Bluff..Redding...and any other “red” town in my way.....go over mountain...all the WAY TO Oregon???...
then ‘Warshington’ all those OTHER states up there on the 5!!!!

Fuck em if they can’t take a joke !!!! 🤣😂👍

hahaha 😜

Edited by Shellbell59
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Ryan squandered everything opportunity he’s been given. He could have worked with Simon, Eddie or I’m sure they would send him for training if he wanted to learn a vocation. Sure, his childhood was different than his siblings but he has the same financial support as they do even though he’s old enough to stand on his own too feet. I doubt most of us are subsidized by our parents or would even want or expect that. 

I wouldn’t wish Tambags on anyone but if she’s so toxic, stop being around her. He’s a user just like his mother. 

Love your post but REALLY LOVE your

“Ana Vee Rosa...nope wrong Guadalajara?....no...wrong again...what is that damn movie with the big ass tree at the end....?by Cameron Crowe...nope another Cameron..Kirt? Nope that’s the strictest Cristian guy....

your  ummm what is it called???

They are blue ppl with really awesome ears....havarta?... nope...same guy that made TitAnic movie...

your...umm...shit...it’s there on tip of my 😜...

🎧aaaahhhh!!! AVATAR!!!!

is that what it’s called...

my nipple is (excuuuuse meee..my POINT ☝️ is...

that is a darling dog...and 

I would KISS THAT MUTT any day!!!!

im a bit off today...bad week and anniversary of two of my dogs passing this week years gone by...
like kids our animals...

“wish I could be the person that each of my dogs thought I was....“ :Confectious...

Nope I’m confused again I think it was Confucius

NOo..it WAS St Confectious...

the patron Saint of cakes...

brother to St Hibbons patron Saint of Quality Footwear...

Spinal Tap says so...and like they say...it’s IMPORTANT to believe everything we see and read...!!😁😁😁🥴

🤣

Edited by Shellbell59
3 hours ago, JD5166 said:

Is that near BASS LAKE!!!!!! ??

Haha...I just choked on my OTHER half of my warmed up breakfast burrito...!
Freaking hilarious...I was up at Bass Lake yesterday....🤣🤣🥴

Weird when ppl mention Gretchen Bass Lake stories....they are all funny...as is a “she devil”  and her “incubus” Slade....

forget them..Your post...it seriously cracked me up...🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Shellbell59
  • LOL 1