Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E07: Higher Standards

wknt3
  • Start Topic

Jamie and Frank oppose each other's viewpoints over the public's treatment of cops after rowdy teens pour water on two rookies. Also, Danny and Baez investigate a man who preys on the elderly, and Erin is forced to admit her wrongdoings when Jack brings her an old case and claims a man she put away was falsely convicted.

Like Erin hasn’t ever put away someone who wasn’t guilty?  I’m sure there are more in jail. She’s also had guilty people go free. 

I’m liking Jack more and more though. 

And sorry Jamie, but you were wrong. Tossing water on the guy was childish, just arrest him. 

• Love 5

I've been waiting for an epic Jamie vs. Frank fight, and this was close to what I had hoped for. At first I thought, Jamie was acting like Danny, but then I realized I was wrong. Frank is all about supporting the rank and file and supporting them over the community, which in his own rather childish way, is what Jamie was doing. I wished they had cut Erin's storyline and given more time to Jamie and Frank actually fighting and arguing. 

I think if Anthony could put aside his anger towards Jack Boyle, I could totally picture them the two of them getting drunk then complaining about what it's like to work for/be married to a Reagan. 

• Love 1

Jaime: "He threw water on my cops. That’s clearly assault, so I arrested him."

Also Jaime: "So I threw water on the suspect. It’s only water, what’s the big deal?"

I kept waiting for someone to point out this obvious contradiction, but of course nobody did.

Erin said the dude was convicted based on eyewitness testimony and blood evidence. Wasn't the blood tested at the time of the trial? That seemed really weird.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Rambler said:

I kept waiting for someone to point out this obvious contradiction, but of course nobody did.

Frank did.  He said "we don't do what the perps do."  The story was weird because it didn't seem like normal behavior for Jamie.  Going to confront the water tosser alone was stupid.  What if it had escalated and turned into a riot? 

1 hour ago, Rambler said:

Erin said the dude was convicted based on eyewitness testimony and blood evidence. Wasn't the blood tested at the time of the trial? That seemed really weird.

Yes it was weird.  They didn't do a DNA test 5 years ago???  That's a crock.

I did like Danny's interactions with his grandfather.  Not sure exactly how old Henry is supposed to be on the show, but dementia is a scary thing. I liked the scene at the pub quiz.  Staying engaged and active is important and I am glad that Danny is going out with Henry.

The rest of the episode was kinda meh. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

I've been waiting for an epic Jamie vs. Frank fight, and this was close to what I had hoped for. At first I thought, Jamie was acting like Danny, but then I realized I was wrong. Frank is all about supporting the rank and file and supporting them over the community, which in his own rather childish way, is what Jamie was doing. I wished they had cut Erin's storyline and given more time to Jamie and Frank actually fighting and arguing. 

I think if Anthony could put aside his anger towards Jack Boyle, I could totally picture them the two of them getting drunk then complaining about what it's like to work for/be married to a Reagan. 

The mandatory Sunday dinner every week grates on me. I feel for Linda and now Eddie having to sacrifice every Sunday to church and dinner. They don’t even extend an invite to Eddies mom.  My family was locked into dinner at grandmas every Sunday. No one bucked the tradition even though it was a pain to drag a bunch of kids to her small house every week. As the grandkids got older they’d bitch about missing their friends or girlfriends. It wasn’t til my Uncle married ( he was much younger than my dad) and his wife just said “no way” “ i work all week and only have a bit of time for myself, I’ll come for dinner, but don’t count on every week” 

Shortly after, the rest of the family scaled it back and it became a “ come if you can“ kind of deal. Sometimes everyone was there, other times it was less of a crowd. 

i recall when Anthony told Eddie to take a good look at what she was going into by marrying Jamie. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, iwasish said:

And sorry Jamie, but you were wrong. Tossing water on the guy was childish, just arrest him.

Very wrong and he did need to be the bigger person being  held to a higher standard, but oh did I let out a whoop when he doused that guy. 

And what part of "I'm not taking any questions" did the reporters attending Frank's presser did NOT understand?  And the lady reporter trying to justify the perp tossing water on the police officers?  What if that were her child or spouse in uniform?  It's assault of a police officer - plain and clear.  But like what Eddie brought up at the dinner table - the more they do it and there's no retaliation, they'll just keep doing it because they know they can get away with it.  Like teachers, cops get my utmost respect for what they have to take - especially in this climate.

How or why is it that buckets of water are just sitting around New York streets waiting to be thrown. (which by the way made both Jamie and the street guy look rather juvenile and silly.). And I think the confession Danny got could easily get thrown out by a good lawyer. 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, milner said:

And I think the confession Danny got could easily get thrown out by a good lawyer. 

It was a perfectly good interrogation tactic. Danny didn't lie, even though cops are allowed to lie to perps. The guy was too stupid to read between the lines. He should have said the magic word, LAWYER.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Rambler said:

Also Jaime: "So I threw water on the suspect. It’s only water, what’s the big deal?"

I don'r want to say "character assassination" but definitely out of character for Jamie to toss water.  This was not a  "you're a Reagan, you should know better. dude!"issue, this was a  "you're a Reagan AND a Sargent now, you REALLY should have known better!"  Meanwhile Erin's "you put someone away that shouldn't be there" has replaced the annual "Danny has IA looking into him" episode.  (At least I did enjoy him and Baez extracting the confession.) 

The scenes with Danny and Erin in the elevator and Frank and Jamie at the pier reminded me of the pilot and that made me very old. 

• Love 2

I can't believe i'm saying this but I was more on Frank's side here. Yes cops should be held to higher standard and even in real life they don't seem to understand that. I was getting sick during the Sunday dinner with all the whining about how unfair things are for cops when they can pretty much do whatever they want including murder. 

• Love 3

Erin's story: I feel like we've done this before.  I'm sure this happens in every DA's career multiple times.  Erin doesn't manufacture evidence. She doesn't phone in her research.  Whatever else anyone says about her, most people realize that she does her due diligence and she doesn't want innocent people to go to prison.  Danny's admonition of her at Sunday dinner made no sense.  Especially since he was complaining about her possibly locking up a guilty man when he was in fact upset about her about not locking up his suspect without enough evidence.  

Jamie and Frank:  I think Jamie was wrong to throw the water on the guy.  Like @Rambler said it was a paradox.  It either is assault or it's just water.  It can't be both depending upon who is doing it.  I would have actually been fine with him just throwing water and not arresting.  But, Frank probably wouldn't.  On another note, why are two cops who have been on the job less than a year partnered up.  That seems really unnecessary unless over 50% of the force are rookies.  Back to my original thoughts, I don't think the argument of "he might have resisted and then he would have been tased" is a good argument at all.  Because then you could start tasing people and said he might have pulled out a gun and he would have been shot. Or shoot someone in the arm and said "he might have shot at me and then I would have shot him at the chest."  You really just need to deal with what actually happens.  Logic.

Danny's story.  One of his better storylines, as I find his stories to be the weak link of the whole thing. Probably helps that they combined Frank and Jamie this week and only had 3 separate stories going on.  I have no issue with the tricked confession, but have to wonder why these people never get a lawyer. A lawyer probably wouldn't have let him fall for that.  And I really loved Danny's and Grandpa's intereactions.  I don't usually think of Danny as sweet, but it really was sweet of him to say it didn't matter if Grandpa forgot who he was because Danny would always know who grandpa.  That brought a little tear to my eye. And then taking him to trivia night.  The absolute nicest thing you can do for the elderly is spend time with them and preferably get them out of the house. I'm not saying he's at the point where he just sits in his rocker all day, but it was still really nice of him.

Family dinner:  I liked Shawn's contribution.  He doesn't usually get to say much which is sad since it's also usually his only scene.  I still don't agree with Jamie's actions (although I don't think it's the worst thing anybody at that table has ever done), but I do agree with Shawn's point.  Nicki would have been all over Uncle Jamie on that one.

• Love 5
On 11/9/2019 at 6:36 AM, Rambler said:

YES! THANK YOU!

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, jabRI said:

When I heard Jamie say 'it's just water' I thought he was being tongue in cheek?

when he told the guy he was arresting that "it's just water," yes, I feel like he was just  making a point, like "it's just water because you said it's just water, right?'.  When he said it in Frank's office, he seemed to be using it as an actual defense.

• Love 5

Wow, Jamie was just wrong here, He wanted to show he was supporting his cops.  Then he blew it.  Really just childish.  And out of character for Jamie.

I liked Danny's story.  Maybe too clever by half, but satisfying. 

As for Erin's story, I sleepwalked through that.  I missed whatever was the clincher that made her acknowledge the guy was not guilty.  Did not care enough to rewind.

29 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Really just childish.  And out of character for Jamie.

In a way that's why it doesn't bother me as much as it would otherwise.  Jamie's human.  He made one mistake in an otherwise pretty spotless record.  If he had admitted it was a mistake and he lost his temper while explaining why he was so annoyed and why it was so easy for him to lose his temper on this matter, I would have liked it more.

• Love 2
On 11/9/2019 at 12:57 PM, ctlady said:

Very wrong and he did need to be the bigger person being  held to a higher standard, but oh did I let out a whoop when he doused that guy. 

And what part of "I'm not taking any questions" did the reporters attending Frank's presser did NOT understand?  And the lady reporter trying to justify the perp tossing water on the police officers?  What if that were her child or spouse in uniform?  It's assault of a police officer - plain and clear.  But like what Eddie brought up at the dinner table - the more they do it and there's no retaliation, they'll just keep doing it because they know they can get away with it.  Like teachers, cops get my utmost respect for what they have to take - especially in this climate.

Yes, It was nice to see him do it even though it was wrong. If he really felt it necessary to do something, he should have dumped the water on the guy and not bothered arresting him. He’d have made his point. 

One  thing Frank said a few seasons ago to Jamie and I think it’s becoming true is that the things he sees on the job will eventually destroy what essentially is Jamie’s best quality. Police can’t solve everything. They will see things that they cannot make right, bad guys will go free, good people will be hurt with no way to get justice. It will eat away at Jamie and break him. It’s happening to Erin now too. She’s realizing she’s not always right. She will punish the innocent and free the guilty. She will have to deal with the real politics of the job if she does run for DA. The hardest thing to learn in life is that not everything is black and white. The older you get, the more gray you see.  Jamie is just beginning to see how powerless he is in many situations. 

Edited by iwasish
  • Love 3